PDA

View Full Version : Klinsmann to meet media on Thursday

mastermixer
11-10-2010, 03:33 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/11/klinsmann-meet-media-thursday

menefreghista
11-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Just in time to help sell some blue, dark grey and red season tickets to gold listers.

mastermixer
11-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Im kinda interested to hear what his vision for this club is. Looking forward to it.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-10-2010, 04:18 PM
yep me too

Pookie
11-10-2010, 07:26 PM
He is meeting with the players on Thursday as well

rocker
11-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Just in time to help sell some blue, dark grey and red season tickets to gold listers.

that cynicism is lame. How about we just not hire anyone to do anything until January?

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Good. I was starting to wonder if he was going to do his thing by phone from California.

Oldtimer
11-10-2010, 08:37 PM
TorontoFC.ca will provide a live stream and chat during the event.

:scarf:

king dave
11-10-2010, 09:08 PM
More of what you want to hear (unfortunately).
KD.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-10-2010, 09:52 PM
^ Is there nothing the team can do now that people won't react too like this?

Someone the other week posted that they announced the whole Klinsmann thing as a ploy to sell tickets. Oh no a business try to be financially successful!

What are people expecting? This is getting more than a little stupid.

menefreghista
11-10-2010, 11:44 PM
that cynicism is lame. How about we just not hire anyone to do anything until January?

The only thing I find lame is the way you bend over backwards to defend MLSE at all times.

I made a flippant comment. I didn't expect people to make such a big deal about it.

And really, I will believe this team has truly turned things around when I see it on the field. Until then I will wait and see.

After the way this team has been run the past 5 years its a wonder many more people aren't cynical. The FO made me cynical when it comes to this team.

DangerRed
11-11-2010, 12:03 AM
After the way this team has been run the past 5 years its a wonder many more people aren't cynical. The FO made me cynical when it comes to this team.

Don't worry, I won't be buying blues even if Klinsmann promises us the Cup. There's a limit to everything.

Shakes McQueen
11-11-2010, 12:08 AM
I made a flippant comment. I didn't expect people to make such a big deal about it.

Why is it that your comment is nothing but a "flippant comment", but his comment about your comment is him making a "big deal" out of it?

I too am tired of every single move the team makes now being lazily explained away as a ruse to lure unsuspecting ticket buyers in. Should they have just waited for a few months, when hopefully no one would boil this all down to a seat-selling trap?

...or by then would we have moved on to screeching about how they waited until the last minute to try and overhaul the organization, before the season started?

I get that you're jaded about the club until they show us something on the pitch. I'm in the boat with you on that one. But that doesn't require us to see the cynical worst in even the GOOD decisions they make.

- Scott

menefreghista
11-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Should they have just waited for a few months, when hopefully no one would boil this all down to a seat-selling trap?

How many times have we gone down this road? What they really should have done was fire Mo Johnston in the summer of 2008.

Now we as fans have to live with the consequences of an organization run by idiots who waited too long to make a necessary move. In the meantime, we are suppose to believe these same idiots who tell us they are sorry and this time they will get it right. Pretty tough to believe them, no matter how big Klinsmann's name is.

And the worse part is we have our interim team making important player personnel decisions. Decisions that might be reversed once the new management team comes in. Possibly putting us behind early in the season once again.

But they are sorry, so its cool.

Sorry, had to get that out of the system.

TFC07
11-11-2010, 12:22 AM
:scarf:

I hope TFCTV stream doesn't crash since so many people would be watching press conference. Hopefully GolTV Canada show press conference live.

Shakes McQueen
11-11-2010, 12:47 AM
How many times have we gone down this road? What they really should have done was fire Mo Johnston in the summer of 2008.

Now we as fans have to live with the consequences of an organization run by idiots who waited too long to make a necessary move. In the meantime, we are suppose to believe these same idiots who tell us they are sorry and this time they will get it right. Pretty tough to believe them, no matter how big Klinsmann's name is.

And the worse part is we have our interim team making important player personnel decisions. Decisions that might be reversed once the new management team comes in. Possibly putting us behind early in the season once again.

But they are sorry, so its cool.

Sorry, had to get that out of the system.

You are sidestepping my central point, to continue ranting about the poor decisions the team has made up to now. Yes, they should have fired Johnston ages ago. Personally, I wanted him gone at the end of last season.

But that is irrelevant to my point. They've brought in a top dollar guy with gobs of experience to overhaul the club, and that's a good thing - whether it's out of sincere wish to reform the team, or a move to placate supporter unrest.

I only care that they do the right thing - whether it's because they want to, or because they want to keep the fans coming to games (and making them money).

- Scott

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-11-2010, 12:56 AM
I hope TFCTV stream doesn't crash since so many people would be watching press conference. Hopefully GolTV Canada show press conference live.

I'd be surprised if they show it live. However, it's been their practise to show press conferences like this later in the day. Should be interesting stuff.

ensco
11-11-2010, 07:34 AM
I too am tired of every single move the team makes now being lazily explained away as a ruse to lure unsuspecting ticket buyers in. Should they have just waited for a few months, when hopefully no one would boil this all down to a seat-selling trap?

- Scott

Your conclusion that "he was brought in the overhaul the club" is total speculation on your part, and not supported by Anselmi's statement that Klinsmann's contract runs only through the spring.

The team is right in the middle of selling thousands of seats, and they have absolutely no story to tell those new buyers. Presto, they bring in a big name, in the middle of that, on a short term basis, in the vaguest possible way.

Now, whether it's a good thing or not, and it may well be for other reasons, it is absolutely, positively, connected to the ticket sale process. If you don't believe that, fine, it's a free country, but it's a legitimate conclusion.

OK, there's a difference between sceptical and cynical. But informed scepticism is fine, appropriate, and, dare I say, what this board should be all about.

Hitcho
11-11-2010, 07:47 AM

If anyone is prepared to buy blue or club seat tickets simly because Klinsmann has been hired and is holding a presser, but hasn't actually done anything yet, then they're either stupid or loaded (or both). Either way, good luck to them.

You can't seriously tell me that people who follow these boards would be "duped" into buying very expensive tickets because of this press conference. Would you? Clearly not from your comment. So why assume anyone else would, especially given the recent supporter unrest among SG's and elsewhere.

I think you have to give MLSE the benefit of the doubt here frankly. JK won't be cheap, he's definitely going to cost them a chunk of money. It would be a stupid gamble if this was designed to sell tickets, and they don't take stupid gambles. Far more likely is that they are trying to take this seriously and move the club forward in the way they should have been doing for the last 3 or 4 years. If you can't find any faith at all in what they are doing then why are you still following the team?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Your conclusion that "he was brought in the overhaul the club" is total speculation on your part, and not supported by Anselmi's statement that Klinsmann's contract runs only through the spring.

The team is right in the middle of selling thousands of seats, and they have absolutely no story to tell those new buyers. Presto, they bring in a big name, in the middle of that, on a short term basis, in the vaguest possible way.

Now, whether it's a good thing or not, and it may well be for other reasons, it is absolutely, positively, connected to the ticket sale process. If you don't believe that, fine, it's a free country, but it's a legitimate conclusion.

OK, there's a difference between sceptical and cynical. But informed scepticism is fine, appropriate, and, dare I say, what this board should be all about.

my question is why blow big money on him at all?

Especially if they only want to sell tickets JUST for this season coming up if the changes arent going to be taken seriously/make a difference and we are going to end up where we currently are in a season or two?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-11-2010, 08:07 AM
im no financial genius but it seems to me that theyd make more money in the long run (and people would be willing to pay for those blue/grey seats) if they put a good product on the field, one that won, on a regular basis as opposed to bringing in a name, spending money, getting those seats filled for a season or two then losing them because the team still has a shit record

koryo
11-11-2010, 08:09 AM
^ Is there nothing the team can do now that people won't react too like this?

Someone the other week posted that they announced the whole Klinsmann thing as a ploy to sell tickets. Oh no a business try to be financially successful!

What are people expecting? This is getting more than a little stupid.

What the franchise can do is show, through their actions rather than flogging a consultant as the second coming of Christ, that they're moving in the right direction and will have a sound, long-term vision for building a strong and competitive football club.

I'm not saying that Klinsmann is a poor choice, but until I see proof to the contrary I'm not saying he's a good one either. Remember, Jurgen can make his recommendations, collect his not insignificant fee and bugger off. That's all he's on the hook to do.

Up to press, this whole issue just continues the club's legacy of selling the sizzle without the steak. Having made a complete mess of just about everything in the past four years, people have earned the right to be cynical towards MLSE.

You might think being overly cynical is a measure of stupidity. Well, I happen to regard blind-faith and lack of critical thinking a much more effective yardstick.

Beach_Red
11-11-2010, 08:19 AM

Or, they should have put together a proper front office in the first place. It's even possible that Mo Johnston could have been one of the guys hired, but to hand over the entire organization to a guy with really no experience was destined to fail. An entire organization had to be built from the ground up and they didn't bring in a single person with any experience.

That's why I'm cynical about everything they do. Because now all they're doing is what a professional organization would have done in the first place.

And, of course, what they're doing now, four years too late, isn't only accepted, it's praised.

Fort York Redcoat
11-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Klinsmann has brought worldwide attention to the club. Applicants that would not have sniffed around had he not been attached in any way.

That is better. That is all. He has not turned this club around. I am not satisfied. NO one has said they are.

Continue your "I'm more cynical therefore know more than you" thread.

ensco
11-11-2010, 08:32 AM
my question is why blow big money on him at all?

Especially if they only want to sell tickets JUST for this season coming up if the changes arent going to be taken seriously/make a difference and we are going to end up where we currently are in a season or two?

It'd be interesting to know what this contract costs.

I wouldn't say that their only objective in getting involved with Klinsmann is selling tickets. But it's definitely high on the list.

Pookie
11-11-2010, 09:21 AM

I'd agree if you would have said added "... it is absolutely, positively, COINCIDENTALLY connected to the ticket sale process."

Klinsmann is rolling up his sleeves and getting to work. His appearance isn't simply a Telethon with ticket reps waiting for your toll free. As an example, players confirmed that they have meetings with him scheduled for today, along with fitness testing.

I like a good conspiracy theory but this one doesn't fly.

Just as as you highlight a ticket sale process, hiring someone at the end of a season to get your club ready for next season is also a legitimate "process."

Sometimes the easiest explanation is the correct one.

Beach_Red
11-11-2010, 09:28 AM
^ what do you think the plan was the day Mo and Preki were fired? The day after? The week after?

sully
11-11-2010, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't say that their only objective in getting involved with Klinsmann is selling tickets. But it's definitely high on the list.

Of course it is, but that's not a negative. I view Klinsmann involvement as a positive step. I hope that other people see it that way too and so more tickets sold.

TFC/Everton
11-11-2010, 09:37 AM
PLEASE GOD!!! I hope Dero makes an ass of himself by demanding more money!!! TRADE DERO!!! Like Mo before him, this Dero must go!

Chevy
11-11-2010, 09:44 AM
The only thing I find lame is the way you bend over backwards to defend MLSE at all times.

And really, I will believe this team has truly turned things around when I see it on the field. Until then I will wait and see.

Well, you're really not "waiting and seeing". Just bitching and moaning, like a good many supporters that put a negative spin on everything.

Don't Hire Klinsmann? "This club has NO direction!"
Hire Klinsmann? "Just a ploy to sell tickets!"

Pookie
11-11-2010, 09:47 AM
^ what do you think the plan was the day Mo and Preki were fired? The day after? The week after?

The Plan and the Vision are 2 different things.

The Vision was likely to build a structure that could improve the short and long term performance of the team to make it successful on the field and on the financial sheet

The Plan probably wasn't in place. I don't for a second believe that they felt they would get Klinsmann and his company at the time of the firings.

I should correct something. Just as I don't believe that aliens are traveling light years for the sole purpose of sodimizing rednecks, I don't believe that Klinsmann is here to be a front man for the 2011 Gold List Season Ticket Push.

However, I do think that they are hoping that the improved infrastructure will produce the results on the field that will lead to a strengthening of their weakened ticket base over the longer term.

ag futbol
11-11-2010, 09:50 AM
As much as I like that klinsmann is involved, I agree with those who are skeptical.

The first thing you learn about consultants, is that their job primarly revolves around making management happy as opposed to finding solutions. If the idiots can actually stand out of the way those two can actually line up.

So we hire klinsmann and say: "look at our operations" but we attach so many conditionals it handcuffs him from doing his job. I don't understand how on the one hand anselmi basically admits he knows nothing, then he makes statements about how Daso and cochrane will be a part of any solution. How about you let the expert determine that Tom!

Oldtimer
11-11-2010, 09:51 AM
I really think that Anselmi has actually realized he doesn't know anything about football, that's why he's hired Klinsmann.

Are they going to use this to try to sell tickets? They'd be stupid not to. But, that's not why Klinsmann was hired.

The fact that they'd turn to Klinsmann gives me a little hope; it's unlike their hockey franchise where everyone on the board plus Peddie think they are geniuses.

Klinsmann can only put the solution in place, he isn't the solution. He's bright but not infallible, even with hiring him, ML$E might get the wrong guy, but let's not see that as a foregone conclusion.

mastermixer
11-11-2010, 09:54 AM

The Vision was likely to build a structure that could improve the short and long term performance of the team to make it successful on the field and on the financial sheet

The Plan probably wasn't in place. I don't for a second believe that they felt they would get Klinsmann and his company at the time of the firings.

I should correct something. Just as I don't believe that aliens are traveling light years for the sole purpose of sodimizing rednecks, I don't believe that Klinsmann is here to be a front man for the 2011 Gold List Season Ticket Push.

However, I do think that they are hoping that the improved infrastructure will produce the results on the field that will lead to a strengthening of their weakened ticket base over the longer term.

Why is it so hard to believe they got "Soccer Solutions" as consultants. Yes Klinsmann is the face of the company but I really don't think the company was turning down offers to consult left right and centre until TFC knocked on their door.

ag futbol
11-11-2010, 09:59 AM

Agreed, if we were talking about any business but football, would anyone buy that he was here to "majorly overhaul operations" in 6 months?

From my estimation he'll have enough time to recommend staff and make a few other tweaks, but it's far from a complete overhaul.

ensco
11-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Listen, it's not inconsistent, or a sign of some sort of deficiency in the optimism gene, to support Klinsmann being brought in, and believe it was done for short-term business reasons.

Beach_Red
11-11-2010, 10:06 AM

Why not? Soccer Solutions have been around for a long time looking for work, it's really only a matter of signing a check, isn't it?

Or do you mean they didn't feel they'd need a consultant until something happened? What happened, They finally realized they can't build a winning team on their own? Or ticket sales were slow?

It's not like Klinsmann was under contract somewhere else and they had to wait until he was available. And it's not like this is any kind of long- term deal, it's another short-term contract, another stop-gap. Just like the original one-year contracts they gave to the first management team.

Four years later this is still an expansion team with no plan or vision. The only difference is now they're paying someone to find them a plan. I think in the franchise business this is called "turn-key" and works pretty well for places like Tim Hortons where the franchisee doesn't have to make any decisions. In that way MLSE are the perfect MLS owners because they've really just bought a franchise, a territory, and someone else will run it. At first they were willing to let the league hire their manager and now a consulting company.

It could work out fine, plenty of Tim Hortons franchises make money for their owners and lots of people like their coffee.

I'm not really even cynical about it. Sure, I wish the teams in my city had personality that reflected my city and weren't just corporate franchises, but thevare very few of those left.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-11-2010, 10:33 AM
pretty difficult to do in a league like this.
I do agree to a certain extent with you, however im not quite so cynical about Klinnsmann's arrival. I feel that he's demanded 100% control of teams for a long time and has never gotten it. Now hes got that chance to prove himself albight as a consultant.

Beach_Red
11-11-2010, 10:48 AM
^ yes, it's tough to do and it doesn't happen overnight. The thing is, maybe the MLSE teams really do represent Toronto, essentially a banker's city where financial success is always top priority and respected above all else.

How much do you think Soccer Solutions will be able to accomplish in the off-season? The contract is until "spring" right, which sounds like until the season starts. Maybe there are options in the contract for MLSE to extend it if they want. Does it seem like a good idea to turn over total control of your team to someone on a short-term contract?

Fort York Redcoat
11-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Does it seem like a good idea to turn over total control of your team to someone on a short-term contract?

Nope. But MLSE is out of options. They've lost the trust of us and to try and sell us a long term plan would be folly. Who would believe it? If the contract is short and successful nothing is concrete in this league especially.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Look how well RSL and NYRB have done in little time, its a gamble that has to be taken, Klinnsman has a respectable resume, one that should (all cynacism re: MLSE aside) cause positivity

rocker
11-11-2010, 11:18 AM
it's one thing to be cynical about whether Klinsmann will improve anything, but it's quite another to suggest that MLSE said "Look guys, 80% renewal is not good enough.. let's sign a consultant first before we sign our GM and coach, and that consultant has to be a guy whose notoriety will help us sell more season tickets to gold and red list people."

That's absurd.

And as mentioned earlier by others, if you suggest such a direct connection, and you think that's a bad thing, then you're painting TFC supporters on the lists as idiot robots who say "Klinsman!!??! I wasn't going to buy tickets before, but now I will commit $1000 to TFC!"

Roogsy
11-11-2010, 11:46 AM
I am floored by people trying to overanalyze WHY MLSE hired Klinsmann. I could care less about their intentions, what I care about are results. Is this a good move yes or no? That should be our only concern. If it's a good move, I don't give a damn if they did it because they wanted to sell tickets or because they truly think it's a smart football move.

jloome
11-11-2010, 11:56 AM
I am floored by people trying to overanalyze WHY MLSE hired Klinsmann. I could care less about their intentions, what I care about are results. Is this a good move yes or no? That should be our only concern. If it's a good move, I don't give a damn if they did it because they wanted to sell tickets or because they truly think it's a smart football move.

As Ensco pointed out, the reality is it suited both purposes. I'm sure they're aware of that, so the whole debate is somewhat moot.

Perhaps focussing on the fact that a guy with a good track record for football innovation and tactics is rebuilding our front office is a better idea.

My sole question, since this is a consultancy, is whether the line of reporting will delay their advice being implemented enough to fuck up our chances of having a new gaffer by spring.

Another blown spring without major signings and we've got another blown season.

Pookie
11-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Why not? Soccer Solutions have been around for a long time looking for work, it's really only a matter of signing a check, isn't it?

I just meant that they likely didn't have him identified as THE one that they would hire. There were probably a few routes they could have gone.

Clearly, if the only goal was short term ticket sales and Klinsmann's company was identified, they would have pulled the trigger on this much sooner than they did.

The above is only to support the view that Klinsmann's involvement is part of a bigger vision rather than to be used soley as a poster child for a Gold List ticket campaign as has been theorized in this thread.

Four years later this is still an expansion team with no plan or vision. The only difference is now they're paying someone to find them a plan.

I agree. There is no system, no consistency and there are quite a few players that have questionable commitment to the club.

I'm not going to throw a source under a bus but the perspective is that "Toronto is a party town" and some guys get way too carried away with a lifestyle vs a commitment to their own professional development... not to mention our own development as a club.

If Klinsmann can address those 3 points, I will be happy.

Beach_Red
11-11-2010, 12:16 PM
^ yes, there was an ESPN article that called Toronto the "White Vegas" and mentioned how happy the strip clubs and escorts were when NBA teams came to town. Is MLS in that league yet?

If Soccer Solutions are part of a longer-term plan, I hope there's an option in the contract to extend it past the spring. Right now it looks like senoir management is trying to get something in writing from an outside source to show the Board that they haven't completely screwed up over the first four years.

ensco
11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
The Klinsmann consultancy may be a positive, but there's no point looking at it in isolation. It's pretty small beer.

It's increasingly obvious that MLSE is an organization in deep crisis. We can't even begin to address TFC's problems until those are addressed.

TFC07
11-11-2010, 12:45 PM
^ yes, there was an ESPN article that called Toronto the "White Vegas" and mentioned how happy the strip clubs and escorts were when NBA teams came to town. Is MLS in that league yet?

If Soccer Solutions are part of a longer-term plan, I hope there's an option in the contract to extend it past the spring. Right now it looks like senoir management is trying to get something in writing from an outside source to show the Board that they haven't completely screwed up over the first four years.

No since you got to have money (which NBA players have plenty of) to get interest from escorts and strip clubs in Toronto. :D

spark
11-11-2010, 01:27 PM
And as mentioned earlier by others, if you suggest such a direct connection, and you think that's a bad thing, then you're painting TFC supporters on the lists as idiot robots who say "Klinsman!!??! I wasn't going to buy tickets before, but now I will commit $1000 to TFC!"

Well it happened with Beckham.

Yagbod
11-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Typical MLSE efficiency. The live feed of the presser is not working... again...

Krasno.pL.
11-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Anselmi is sooo:picard:

didnt know he spoke italian pretty well

Yagbod
11-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Klinsi is basically saying that he has to get to know the city and learn what we expect on the pitch. They will will call Tom and say ' here are 5 coaches that might match up with what you need.'

I think he said that he was offered the coaching job, but that he does not want to move his family, so Tom offerred him the consulting job.

Yagbod
11-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Say's there are multiple football identities in the city and TFC needs to either pick one or develope their own identity.

It is all very vague. He should fit in nicely with MLSE.

Shway
11-11-2010, 02:23 PM
EVERYTHING he is saying is basic knowledge
ANYONE on this board couldve said that........
hes just here for the visit, bang some multi-cutural chicks

Roogsy
11-11-2010, 02:33 PM
EVERYTHING he is saying is basic knowledge
ANYONE on this board couldve said that........
hes just here for the visit, bang some multi-cutural chicks

He can do that in LA! :D

Super
11-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Klinsmann will no doubt be good to have around to make sure that Anselmi isn't fooled by the likes of Mo Johnston again. I know that Klinsmann is probably just here for a paycheck, but the future of his football company depends on the success of his projects - and this is a huge chance for him and his people to prove their value within the industry. I'm feeling pretty optimistic. I think he'll help more than hurt us as a club, and that's the main thing. Also, he has connections all over the world, and that will help in finding the right people as well.

Beach_Red
11-11-2010, 02:40 PM
No one was "fooled," they got what they paid for.

Just like they're getting what they're paying for now. How many times has he mentioned what a great organization MLSE is?

Super
11-11-2010, 02:47 PM
No one was "fooled," they got what they paid for.

Just like they're getting what they're paying for now. How many times has he mentioned what a great organization MLSE is?

lol yeah, but they sign the checks, so ...

Mo Johnston fooled Anselmi into keeping him around for 4 years even though he clearly had no plan in place. Someone with a background in football would have seen through Mo's lack of ability to run this club, and I think that's the main problem with this club: it's run by non-football people.

Anyway, at the end of the day Klinsmann and his people can't possibly hurt this club. Surely they'll know better who to hire than Anselmi. I'm not even sure the guy knows the offside rule.

DangerRed
11-11-2010, 03:02 PM
LULZ!!!

"I follow MLS mainly on TV, to be honest, I don't go to the stadium too often." -Jurgen Klinsmann

EDIT: And oh yeah, the whole news conference is now up on TFC TV.

Yagbod
11-11-2010, 03:13 PM
LULZ!!!

"I follow MLS mainly on TV, to be honest, I don't go to the stadium too often." -Jurgen Klinsmann

EDIT: And oh yeah, the whole news conference is now up on TFC TV.

The press conference really is a waste of time though: forewarned.

DangerRed
11-11-2010, 03:14 PM
^Tru that. I'd rather watch another episode of Conway's World.

deltox
11-11-2010, 03:14 PM
i enjoyed it....not sure what u were expecting really

deltox
11-11-2010, 03:22 PM
think about....would u rather they just did what they did before....or bring in someone that knows the game/business.

who would u have brought in instead of Klinnsman?

this is right for us right now.....we complain that MLSE doesnt know about the game.....they recognized that and brought people in that do.

DangerRed
11-11-2010, 03:26 PM
I expected something along the lines of "I've taken a first quick look, and I think the club has done X, Y and Z really well. At the same time, it looks like there are holes in A, B and C and we're looking at how to fix them before 2011 kicks off."

The fact that Toronto is a multicultural city is well known fact. I didn't need to hear him say it over and over again.

DangerRed
11-11-2010, 03:27 PM
who would u have brought in instead of Klinnsman?

Whoooooooooooa there. I'm not saying bring in Klinsmann is a bad move. I think it's the right one. I guess I just wish he'd be a bit further along now given how short his contract is.

rocker
11-11-2010, 03:36 PM
One thing I didn't like was all the talk of how they'll find some people before the season starts. There was no timeline there, and I hope to hell it's earlier than the start of the season. They need to have this in place at the latest, a few weeks before training camp begins (so hire someone just after the new year). Preferably even sooner... like before Christmas.

Super
11-11-2010, 03:40 PM
One thing I didn't like was all the talk of how they'll find some people before the season starts. There was no timeline there, and I hope to hell it's earlier than the start of the season. They need to have this in place at the latest, a few weeks before training camp begins (so hire someone just after the new year). Preferably even sooner... like before Christmas.

Still plenty of time for that. Klinsmann is now officially on the job for us, and surely he can find, and have probably already found, the best candidates for us. Then it's up to Anselmi to hire based on Klinsmann's advice. The coach and/or future GM will then have to begin work on building a team - and even here Klinsmann will likely become a valuable asset.

To me the potential of a bright future for our club begins with Klinsmann. That's news-worthy. And certainly worthy of a 20 minute press conference.

Section 117
11-11-2010, 03:44 PM
IMO they better hire a GM first then a coach not the other way around cause if TFC hires a coach and then a Gm. New GM already will have an excuse it wasn't my coach

Yagbod
11-11-2010, 04:07 PM
I expected there to be some (even a tiny bit) of substance to the press conference. That was just wishy-washy nonsense. They really said nothing at all.

I enjoyed watching it, but really it was a complete waste of time. The news of his hiring had broken a week or two ago. To have a press conference at this point is just a waste of time, unless there is something substancial to announce. Which there wasn't.

I do like the hiring, for the record.

__wowza
11-11-2010, 04:15 PM
going over his experience, and his understanding of the city is all i could've asked for. he did that. i'd be fucking worried if he said "he's what i've observed from looking at this club for a week"

Oldtimer
11-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Listening to the interview was very good for me. I've worked with a lot of consultants over the years, both good and useless kinds.

Klinsmann is asking the right type of questions. I really like his approach, and it seems to be the right one. Of course he doesn't have any answers yet, I'm hoping he'll have some sooner rather than later.

TFC07
11-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Why was Klinsmann speaking Italian in press conference?! BTW, who was the one asked him a question in Italian?

ArmenJBX
11-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Probably an Italian reporter. Klinsmann made big news in Europe

rocker
11-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Listening to the interview was very good for me. I've worked with a lot of consultants over the years, both good and useless kinds.

Klinsmann is asking the right type of questions. I really like his approach, and it seems to be the right one. Of course he doesn't have any answers yet, I'm hoping he'll have some sooner rather than later.

ya same here. who knows if this will pan out, but i like that he's no imposing anything from the start. he has an open mind. which is interesting because he said in article he wrote during the last world cup that he could never run a defensive-minded team..... but he didn't come in today and say anything of the sort. he realizes the totality of the situation deserves a unique answer, which he can't give right this second.

he also seemed confident but not the ego man I expected. That's probably a good thing.

the other dude seemed like a total geek tho. haha. I guess he's the one who types up the reports! ;)

TorCanSoc
11-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Klinsman seems like a class act.

The consultancy thing has me a bit confused. Klinsman and co (Soccer Services or something?) are going to make suggestions from now until the start of the season. Are TFC FO going to implement them as they go? Or is it a huge report after 1 month of intense analyzing and scrutiny? That the TFC FO can either implement or ignore?

I don't like the non committal attitude of it. My concern is at the end of this no one truly takes responsibility for the decisions made.

As a first impression, I like Klinsman.

Right at the end his sidekick managed to sidestep the question of how big his organization is. My guess is its just him, Klinsman and bunch of administrative staffers. Which is not a bad thing. Its Klinsman ffs, he's going to bring a massive contact list of super experienced footballing minds. Its never a bad thing.

johnmolinaro
11-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Why was Klinsmann speaking Italian in press conference?! BTW, who was the one asked him a question in Italian?

It was a reporter from OMNI TV who asked him the question in Italian.

As for Klinsmann, he struck me as a thoughtful, articulate person. I was quite impressed with him and a lot of the things he said.

It'll be interesting to see what recommendations he'll make, but for me the big issues are a) if MLSE decides to accept his suggestions and b) how it will go about implimenting them.

Like I said, it'll be very interesting to see how this plays out the next few months.

John

Cashcleaner
11-11-2010, 11:12 PM
I expected there to be some (even a tiny bit) of substance to the press conference. That was just wishy-washy nonsense. They really said nothing at all.

I enjoyed watching it, but really it was a complete waste of time. The news of his hiring had broken a week or two ago. To have a press conference at this point is just a waste of time, unless there is something substantial to announce. Which there wasn't.

I do like the hiring, for the record.

I have to admit, I was left wanting a bit more as well. I'll admit that maybe we're not getting the whole story because they never mic the people asking questions, but the whole thing was a bit hoo-hum for my liking. In the club's defence, at least they are a throwing us a few scraps of info on the subject of Klinsmann's position.

CretanBull
11-12-2010, 12:21 AM

Translation, il mio amico?

It'll be interesting to see what recommendations he'll make, but for me the big issues are a) if MLSE decides to accept his suggestions and b) how it will go about implimenting them.

A) I assume that that have to, don't they? Isn't hiring Klinsmann a tacit admission that they're incapable of making the right decisions on their own?

B) That will be the "fun" part :(

king dave
11-12-2010, 12:27 AM
More of what you want to hear (unfortunately).
KD.
2X now.
KD.

king dave
11-12-2010, 12:34 AM

As for Klinsmann, he struck me as a thoughtful, articulate person. I was quite impressed with him and a lot of the things he said.

Like I said, it'll be very interesting to see how this plays out the next few months.

John

Sì, sarà Giovanni

KD.

Detroit_TFC
11-12-2010, 10:30 AM
I have no doubt that Klinsmann will have some ideas on moving things forward and will help find the right people to get things done. However I am very concerned about the time frame. If implementation of whatever comes out of the review doesn't come until March, we are cooked for the first half of the season, just like with Preki, regardless of the quality of the incoming personnel.

Shakes McQueen
11-13-2010, 09:27 AM

It isn't total speculation on my part - it comes from Brunt's Globe and Mail article where he initially scooped this move by MLSE. According to Brunt, he is being given full authority to overhaul things like the scouting department, in addition to merely running the committee to hire the next GM - Jurgen isn't simply a Gord Kirke here. Klinsmann himself has talked about helping the team find a style of play, and building a team around that identity. That certainly sounds like an overhaul to me.

I agree with your distinction that informed skepticism is different than outright cynicism, but I wasn't calling him out on informed skepticism - I was calling him out on cynicism.

It would make sense that Klinsmann's contract only runs until the spring, as he isn't going to be managing the club. We already knew that. His job is simply to give the team a rough blueprint for success, and put the organization and guys in place to help carry it out.

Now, if MLSE decline to implement his suggestions, or decides to go cheap on implementing them, I will shout about this. For now, it's a good move.

- Scott

Menelaos
11-13-2010, 02:31 PM
i enjoyed it....not sure what u were expecting really

Just watched it and that is how I feel.

He's here to do one thing and one thing only, to analyze TFC and give his suggestions. He's not here to coach, to hire, to fire, or to do anything else.

Expecting more this early in the process or when it is not part of what he's here to do is dumb.

Well spoken, has a plan of attack and would not say anything out of place because he's still in the early stages.

ensco
11-13-2010, 04:23 PM
It isn't total speculation on my part - it comes from Brunt's Globe and Mail article where he initially scooped this move by MLSE. According to Brunt, he is being given full authority to overhaul things like the scouting department, in addition to merely running the committee to hire the next GM

Listen to what was said in that press conference - it's advice only.

You're not caught up on your reading. Dobson initially said the exact same thing as Brunt did, but has retracted. Stephen Brunt doesn't feel the same need to answer for what he writes, I guess:

original story:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/10/30/dobson_candidates/

recent story:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/11/12/dobson_klinsmann/

J .
11-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Lets find out. It can go both ways. If his plan fails, people think MLSE was stupid to agree and it works Jk is a genius.

With MLSE and TFC, until the game is over and points counted, there is nothing positive to expect. Over a decade of mismanaging their sports teams leads me to conclude expect the worst and when you get bad, it will seem good.

Oldtimer
11-13-2010, 06:14 PM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=-2&id=2621

Another Klinsmann interview. The more I hear, the more I like his approach. It certainly was a consistent philosophy that made DC United a powerhouse in the league from 1996-2006, despite having 4 different coaches during that time (4 MLS Cups, 4 Supporters' Shields, 1 CCC - now CCL win).

rocker
11-13-2010, 07:36 PM
funny when he says maybe problems happened just because `someone missed the goal`... haha. scoring was definitely an achilles heel over 4 years.

jloome
11-14-2010, 12:07 PM
"Maybe we have the right people here already and don't even know it."

Not bloody likely.

The rest was basically what Brunt suggested, he's going to have input into everything. Not "control" over everything I'd say. But input into it.

Notice how he chuckles when he notices Godfrey has started nodding agreement before he's even made his point.