PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy B - would you care if he was cut loose?

Stryker
11-10-2010, 01:36 PM
So supposedly Brennen's place within the organization is secure. What if we had a chance at a true top notch GM/coach but he made it clear he didn't want to be tripping over Jimmy while trying to do his job or wanted his own guy working under him?
Just wondering how some of you would feel if the team were to cut Jimmy lose at this point.
Personally I couldn't care less but then again I was never impressed with ethier his playing or his captaincy.

Carts
11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
I think this is a situation where the team could "have their cake & eat it to"...

Most top-notch coaches or GM's would, as you say, want their own people, bring in someone to compliment them, and not have someone already 'close' to the rest of the front office working with, beside, or under them...

If we were to attract someone like this, and they wanted to staff all the positions, MLSE could make Jimmy an 'Ambassador of TFC'...

Much like Darryl Sittler and others are with the Leafs...

They don't really do much - but they remain with the club for namesake, and facesake etc... They can attend childrens camps, charity events - and represent the club in the public eye...

I think its time MLSE allow the new blood to build the team and staff as they want - but can keep some of the name recognition around that they appear to think is quite important...

Carts...

Wull
11-10-2010, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't care if they cut anyone or everyone as long as it's for the advancement of the club. No one can or should be off limits in this process and I include anselmi and beirne in that statement, especially if the rumours about peddie are true (please be true!)

Wagner
11-10-2010, 01:55 PM
i think there might have been a gentlemen's agreement that after Jimmy B retired, he'd get a few years employment in the FO.
they needed to lure him home...first face of the franchise, etc.

trane
11-10-2010, 01:55 PM
No. I would fire every one in the FO, and start over.

Derko
11-10-2010, 02:01 PM
No. I would fire every one in the FO, and start over.

Right down to the ticket reps, right!!

sully
11-10-2010, 02:02 PM
I think part of the problem are these cozy relationships at the club. Everyone should be eligible for the chop and sentimentality shouldn't come into it.

trane
11-10-2010, 02:03 PM
^ Down to the ticket reps, would be fine by me.

trane
11-10-2010, 02:03 PM
I think part of the problem are these cozy relationships at the club. Everyone should be eligible for the chop and sentimentality shouldn't come into it.

Agreed. That is the MLSE corporate culture. Not good for success.

sully
11-10-2010, 02:04 PM
^ Down to the ticket reps, would be fine by me.

Ticket reps have nothing to do with it. It's the decision makers that matter.

tfc2007
11-10-2010, 02:11 PM
I think he should always be involved in the club in some way, but I think if someone came in and didnt want him he would be moved into a new position.

Sullivan
11-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Would I care? No!

What does he bring to the table?
- Playing experience - Yes.
- Business experience - from a player's perspective.
- No raw business experience or mgmt experience.

He's a legacy hire, with a fast tracked coaching license from the CSA; but he did supplement it when he went with DD to the USSF for his B, maybe even his A, not sure of the A license from the USSF (DD did get his USSF A).

Assign him to the Academy and let him coach and recruit young players. Concurrently, put him out into the business community and let him generate some corporate coin for the Academy and the training centre. He'll validate the value of his legacy sooner rather than later, no room for passengers and their baggage.

THA BUTCHA
11-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Brennan is a bum.

Always was and always will be

__wowza
11-10-2010, 04:47 PM
yes, yes i would.

here we are complaining that we need someone with MLS experience to manage the club. well, what do you think happens when you clean house instead of having someone in the wings watching to see how a club is run? they brought him out to the town hall meetings not to be the face of the franchise, but to show him how to deal with the situation. it's not like any of us went "shit guys, play nice, jimmy's here!". if anyone here is worried that jimmy being near the FO will impact us when the new GM gets here, then you're being naive. as far as i'm concerned, his job security means he's around for a few more years to learn as much as he can. we know he's being groomed, he knows he's being groomed, so let him be groomed, and (hopefully) let him be groomed by a GM who knows what he's doing.

what's our absolute worst case scenario?
we have someone on our hands whose collecting a paycheque, but that we like as opposed to the dozen in the FO who're collecting paycheques that we hate.

what's our best case scenario?
in 5 - 10 years we have a canadian GM with MLS first team experience that's spent the past X amount of years waiting in the wings hungry to get his chance to help up the club/fans that've given him everything.

Oblio2
11-10-2010, 04:50 PM
If Jimmy B got cut loose, I wouldn't bat an eyelid.
He's not a player anymore.....If he can do the job, Great. if not, See ya

Alixir
11-10-2010, 06:25 PM
If its to be replaced by someone who knows what they are doing...I'll hold the door for him.

Super
11-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I appreciate everything Brennan has done for the club, but I'm at a point where I really don't care who plays for this club, or who coaches or manages. I just want a winning team - and I want to see some good footy coming from our team as well. The rest doesn't matter to me.

Sally Mack
11-10-2010, 07:00 PM
He contributes nothing to this club except nostalgia. If the new gm wanted it, cut him loose.

Just remember: our ticket increases fund his salary and all he's good for is fetching coffee.

DichioTFC
11-10-2010, 07:08 PM
I was under the impression he was being groomed to handle the position in the future like Dichio is taking with his Academy / assistant coaching roles.

A player can definitely jump to GM (see Snow, Garth) so I'm not against developing Jimmy B. But its like any business, if he cant handle it he should be cut.

rocker
11-10-2010, 08:12 PM
I have no idea what Jimmy actually does or whether he's good at whatever he actually does.

jloome
11-10-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't think any of us has the slightest qualification to judge a guy who hasn't had any public role whatsoever. Who knows, maybe Klinsmann's influence and the new GM/coaches end out turning him into an excellent future GM.

None of us has enough info to offer a rational position on this one.

ensco
11-10-2010, 08:42 PM
I have no idea what Jimmy actually does or whether he's good at whatever he actually does.

Yes. I also have no idea how anyone here could have an opinion on this.