PDA

View Full Version : How do people get tryouts?

Dv23
11-09-2010, 03:13 PM
I understand that this might sound silly, but I know a number of great players that are all interested in playing for Toronto FC. Some are as young as 18 and others as old as 25. How would they go about getting a try-out?

prizby
11-09-2010, 03:21 PM
you take a time machine back to 2007 and you go to the open tryout

TFC07
11-09-2010, 03:23 PM
I believe TFC has open tryouts every year (early of the year). You got to paid like $100 though.

EDIT: If your friends as good you think they are, then maybe they should play in CSL first. I am sure if they perform well in CSL, TFC will notice and invite for a tryout.

BC101
11-09-2010, 03:27 PM
I believe TFC has open tryouts every year (early of the year). You got to paid like $100 though.

EDIT: If your friends as good you think they are, then maybe they should play in CSL first. I am sure if they perform well in CSL, TFC will notice and invite for a tryout.
this is sound advice.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-09-2010, 04:56 PM
^ It's good advice in that a number of CSL players have trial and trained with TFC. It's worth noting, however, none of them have ever been signed.

James Oliphant
11-09-2010, 05:09 PM
you take a time machine back to 2007 and you go to the open tryout

http://getfree.tv/propertyrights/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/rooster.jpg

MrHawk
11-09-2010, 05:16 PM
CSL have open tryouts........

Probably your friends best bet.

Dv23
11-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It just seems pretty laborious to go through all the trouble of playing in the CSL and to be rewarded with such a minute chance of success. Would playing in university make it easier? Some of them go to U of T and York, which are the top two teams in the country. Most played OYSL until recently, and a number of them were part of the number 1 team at OFSAA this last year.

I mean, I guess CSL is one option, but I'm really just perplexed at how difficult it seems to become a professional athlete in Toronto. If there really are open try outs every year, that would seem to be the simplest method.

MrHawk
11-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Check the club websites, and they will advertise open tryouts.

I believe they start around March.........start sending e-mails.

and TBH your friends would have to be flatout amazing in order to make it straight to MLS.

Brooker
11-09-2010, 05:52 PM
I mean, I guess CSL is one option, but I'm really just perplexed at how difficult it seems to become a professional athlete in Toronto.

Really?

James Oliphant
11-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Really?

Here's me wondering where Dv23 is from that it's so easy to become a pro...

bowmanvillejim
11-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Check the club websites, and they will advertise open tryouts.

I believe they start around March.........start sending e-mails.

and TBH your friends would have to be flatout amazing in order to make it straight to MLS.

and if they are that good they're on somebody's radar already. I encourage them to go to any open tryouts they can. Why not pursue the dream while you still can.

London
11-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It just seems pretty laborious to go through all the trouble of playing in the CSL and to be rewarded with such a minute chance of success. Would playing in university make it easier? Some of them go to U of T and York, which are the top two teams in the country. Most played OYSL until recently, and a number of them were part of the number 1 team at OFSAA this last year.

I mean, I guess CSL is one option, but I'm really just perplexed at how difficult it seems to become a professional athlete in Toronto. If there really are open try outs every year, that would seem to be the simplest method.

to become a pro athlete is not something you just decide to do.

it takes many years to become elite and chances are that if you are good enough, you qould know it by the age of 15.

not saying it is out of the realm of possibilities, but i would think for right now there best options would be to try out for the CSL. and even that will be difficult,

razor787
11-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Simply put, if they were good enough to be in MLS, they wouldnt be asking. Someone would have told them what they should do. If nobody has told them what should be done (get a soccer scholarship at a US college, join a CSL team) then they simply arent good enough.

69Chevy396
11-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Send Collin Samuel an email, ask him how he made the club and then tell your friends to do the same thing.

Azerban
11-09-2010, 07:34 PM

fucking lol at this entire post

scooter
11-09-2010, 08:25 PM

i am thinking lol too
but if you are serious then you need to earn your stripes

typical of todays youth instant everything

TOBOR !
11-09-2010, 08:49 PM

This whole post made me LOL.

Would playing in University make it easier ? From the sound of things your lads are exceptionally bright so they'll no doubt win scholarships. That'd be good, because then they could work on becoming doctors or summat in case the TFC scouts don't make it all the way around the scholastic circuit.

Can you imagine how hard they'll work in practice if they already can't be arsed to spend time in the CSL ?

Kids these days...

Dv23
11-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Mark my words I will get them in. And then you'll all be SORRY!
Muahahahaha!!

But no, seriously, I understand the humour in my posts. In all honesty though, I think most of my friends could compete with the starters on TFC. They are faster and more aggressive too.

I think a more appropriate question that I should ask is: How does the Draft work? That is, how are players selected? Is it only from American colleges or are Canadian University students drafted as well?

EDIT: I should also mention that their team has played TFC Academy a couple of times in tournaments and have beaten them quite badly.

Brooker
11-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Please let this thread never end.... This is fucking awesome.

TOBOR !
11-09-2010, 08:52 PM
^well then, the job is done. TFC scouts will already have your mates names in their books. All they need to do now is to go and sit by the phone - or have someone else do it for them.

ochos
11-09-2010, 08:57 PM
While we're on the topic, why is TFC not calling me up? I could seriously have played better left or right back then hscanovics or usanov.. and I'm 100% serious

TOBOR !
11-09-2010, 08:59 PM
they're probably still working their way throught the phone book. What's your number start with ? I heard they're currently still on the 1's.

jloome
11-09-2010, 09:02 PM

Not to offend man, but think through this logically: any player good enough to play for TFC is going to stick out in CSL like a sore thumb. Nick Lindsay is 17; are there too many other wingers in the CSL at his level and around his age?

Are your friends on the national team picture for their age group? If not, again, their chances of being ready for MLS are remote. If they are, the team already knows who they are.

Not sure if you realize the level of skill and speed between amateur and pros, but it's rare in this day and age for superior talent to go undiscovered by ANYONE.

Seems a bit naive.

prizby
11-09-2010, 09:23 PM

playing at uoft and york (and carleton and queens for that matter) is difficult...unless they are extremely unbelievable players...to get on the team, you have to be invited to try-out...if not, you can contact the coach for the open try-out, but the open try-out is usually the day before the season starts...in the end, you wouldn't make the team, you would probably be "recruited" for the following season, should you have impressed. Even with that being said, the coach already has decided what he wants as his first team and I have heard of guys being left on the side. There best bet is to play at a school like Ryerson, Brock, Guelph, Windsor...I would highly recommend if they want to play and show there stuff, playing at Laurentian, Nippising, Trent are great teams to play for. They consistently make the playoffs, but don't have deep rosters. Laurentian graduated Scott Cliff who now is the captain, first signee, and starting goalie for Milltown FC...

the best chance to get to the MLS is going to a school in the States or being discovered by the TFC Academy

TorCanSoc
11-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Three words.

Jamal Smith.

...wait, is that only two? ...or is that four in total?

DichioTFC
11-09-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm really good in the manager modes of Football Manager 2010, FIFA 10 and FIFA 11. I was wondering if anyone knew how I could get a manager trial with Jurgen. It seems really hard to become a manager when I have so much great experience.

But, no, seriously guys. Mark my words I will get in. And then you'll all be SORRY!

razor787
11-09-2010, 11:52 PM
I have always wondered if thats how Mo got in. Would make sense though. His 5 year plan in FIFA would get TFC to the type of quality you would see in top level prem league teams. All you gotta do is make several trades.

DichioTFC
11-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Mo must have really used video games to impress Anselmi. There is no other conceivable way he could have convinced them to keep him around.

razor787
11-10-2010, 12:26 AM
"see, all I have to do is upgrade my negotiating staff, then I can get Ronaldo cheap. I just need the money for it now!"

jloome
11-10-2010, 01:05 AM
I'm really good in the manager modes of Football Manager 2010, FIFA 10 and FIFA 11. I was wondering if anyone knew how I could get a manager trial with Jurgen. It seems really hard to become a manager when I have so much great experience.

But, no, seriously guys. Mark my words I will get in. And then you'll all be SORRY!

Hey, I once had a Millwall side in Football Manager go 46-0. Surely that's good enough for a tryout with TFC, eh?

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-10-2010, 01:17 AM
Not to offend man, but think through this logically: any player good enough to play for TFC is going to stick out in CSL like a sore thumb. Nick Lindsay is 17; are there too many other wingers in the CSL at his level and around his age?

Are your friends on the national team picture for their age group? If not, again, their chances of being ready for MLS are remote. If they are, the team already knows who they are.

Not sure if you realize the level of skill and speed between amateur and pros, but it's rare in this day and age for superior talent to go undiscovered by ANYONE.

Seems a bit naive.

That's an interesting point. I've watched a far bit of the CSL, and while Lindsay, and Henry and Morgan for that matter, was productive in the league, he was far from dominating.

I think there's a number of CSL players of the same calibre as Lindsay, most of the names that come to mind are a little older, but still in the developing talent age range. I'd say in terms of attacking players (I know you mention wingers specifically, but I'm thinking more generally) Milos Scepanovic, Lesley St. Fleur, and Jarek Whiteman are of the same calibre of Lindsay.

My main point is that a CSL player capable of contributing to TFC wouldn't necessarily be a transcendent talent in the CSL. My secondary point is that I think that there's a number of CSL players who could contribute to TFC as squad players.

Mikey
11-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Prior to this off -season I would have said all they needed to do was sign on with First wave, go to the uk for the weekend and then First Wave tells Mo to announce he's bringing in two UK players that count as Canadian domestics......

Oblio2
11-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Epic thread is epic/

I want to be a Pro Athlete...*Whoooosh

It just happened

MG42
11-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Hi Rohan!

Section 117
11-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Really, you think that just because the team your friends are on beat the academy team they can compete for a spot on a MLS team?????

What are you smoking cause I want some... At the end of the day no offense to Henry or Lindsay they only played for TFC cause our team is a fucking joke. They would never have suited up let alone play for any other team in the league.

If your buddies are that good why aren't they alreadty playing somehwere? By the time a player is 18 - 25 as per your post if no one knows who they are there is little to no chance they are going to make it as a professional footballer.

Dv23
11-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Let's be honest with ourselves, this is the MLS we are talking about. If I was asking this question about Real Madrid or Milan, that's one thing. But I am asking about the possibility of a person getting on to Toronto FC.

All of us have probably at one point said "I could do better than the guys on the field right now". The funny thing is that some people can say it and actually mean it. So some of you laugh because I am confident. Oh well. I think you're all forgetting that we are a team that has consistently ended up on the bottom half of the table in a league that is laughable.

@prizby: They were asked by some of the players (the team captains I think) at U of T to join this year but unfortunately were abroad when tryouts took place. This was after they participated in a U of T tournament while still in high school (pretending to be U of T students) and were the leading scorers. They will perhaps join next year, though these guys are aware that education comes first and aren't willing to compromise that if they think their marks will suffer.

Some of them have actually also had stints playing for teams in the Greek League. So there is your league experience.

Thanks to all the people that aren't making fun. lol. Again, I understand that I might have come off as overconfident and perhaps some of you get the Teenaged "Instant Gratification" vibe from me. I apologize. All I really wanted was to find out the best possible routes to take in order to give these guys a shot.

Thanks.

Fort York Redcoat
11-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Good luck Dv. It won't be an easy road regardless of the perception of the skill on the pitch.

menefreghista
11-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Some of them have actually also had stints playing for teams in the Greek League. So there is your league experience.

I call bullshit on this unless they were in the 4th division or they aren't Canadian. The Voyageurs would have heard of these guys by now. And people would have made a big deal about it had they played in the Greek first division. The Voyageurs are total nerds about following Canadians abroad.

Are you willing to divulge names?

I don't buy the theory that there are players so good that they would make MLS if given the opportunity. Do people really think TFC wouldn't want to get better, cheaper talent if they could?

Chevy
11-10-2010, 11:49 AM

Seems a bit naive.

+1. And by chance if this isn't the case and those players have flown under the radar, become an agent. Fast.

jloome
11-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I call bullshit on this unless they were in the 4th division or they aren't Canadian. The Voyageurs would have heard of these guys by now. And people would have made a big deal about it had they played in the Greek first division. The Voyageurs are total nerds about following Canadians abroad.

Are you willing to divulge names?

I don't buy the theory that there are players so good that they would make MLS if given the opportunity. Do people really think TFC wouldn't want to get better, cheaper talent if they could?

This is either a steaming heap or the guy doesn't see the intrinsic differences between elite h.s. players and the pros. Beyond which, lots of kids are singled out by clubs as youth but never even make it to CSL quality. I played in high school with a former West Ham youth player and he was pretty dominant here (despite being overweight and smoking, he once scored from midfield, and it wasn't a chip) but had absolutely no shot of making the pros.

So much of the pro game is reading the field, reacting, speed of decision making. You can have all the ball skills in the world, but it's the equivalent to being a golf long-drive champion: you're still not good enough for the main event.

As for Lindsay, I think he's a solid winger. If people in the CSL were schooling him or that much better and anywhere near development age, people shouldnt' kid themselves, TFC would probably know about them. On several occasions, Lindsay schooled veteran fullbacks who would eat the CSL alive.

Really, this whole thread for me is just illustrating how hard it is for people who haven't spent three or four decades watching football to tell the difference between player quality.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
11-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Fer crissakes, people, hasn't anyone ever seen a little documentary called Shaolin Soccer? Those guys had never even seen a football pitch, and within a couple of days they were the BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD (or maybe just the best team in Hongkong, but I digress...). My point is...undiscovered talent...ya never know...

Whoop
11-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Lots of players of HS age go abroad to Europe to trial and stuff doesn't mean they've played games.

Maybe that's where Dv is confused.

Even the Voyageurs can't track every kid that's trialed/trialing in Europe.

Stencils
11-10-2010, 12:21 PM
i am thinking lol too
but if you are serious then you need to earn your stripes

typical of todays youth instant everything

Exactly what I was thinking. And, sheeeezus, I'm only 29.

prizby
11-10-2010, 12:52 PM
@prizby: They were asked by some of the players (the team captains I think) at U of T to join this year but unfortunately were abroad when tryouts took place. This was after they participated in a U of T tournament while still in high school (pretending to be U of T students) and were the leading scorers. They will perhaps join next year, though these guys are aware that education comes first and aren't willing to compromise that if they think their marks will suffer.

UofT has one captain...thats Yannis, he's a *&%#^ (I can't use this word), but a solid player

i doubt they played in a uoft tournament...there is something called having a student card needed to play in a university run tournament...liability issues

UofT might be losing Nordo, but they still got Raphaeel, they are both also *&%#^. Unless there name is Ezequiel Lubocki, they won't be starting until their third year of eligibility...

Sullivan
11-10-2010, 02:34 PM
I nominate this thread as one of the better takin the piss threads that this board has ever produced. :facepalm:

5 pages by Friday.

DichioTFC
11-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Let's be honest with ourselves, this is the MLS we are talking about. If I was asking this question about Real Madrid or Milan, that's one thing. But I am asking about the possibility of a person getting on to Toronto FC.

All of us have probably at one point said "I could do better than the guys on the field right now". The funny thing is that some people can say it and actually mean it. So some of you laugh because I am confident. Oh well. I think you're all forgetting that we are a team that has consistently ended up on the bottom half of the table in a league that is laughable.

Laughable league for your friends' with their laughable talent and their equally laughable agent.

Seriously dude, if you think so low of the league that its laughable, why bother trying to get them into the MLS? Why not try a non-laughable league like the Japanese league or something that's a near-equivalent?

As an addendum: why not make a video of their in-game highlights and send it to the top soccer schools in the NCAA? If they're MLS-worthy, they'll get a scholarship guaranteed. If nobody calls back, well, your friends suck as much as we all think they do.

ag futbol
11-10-2010, 09:49 PM
A couple of years ago, this might have gone somewhere. But at this point I do agree with the majority of the posters here: play in the csl or NCAA, tear that up and punch your ticket. Otherwise if your legitimately good enough, find an agent who will rep you and push you through to a pro team for a look.

Seriously, we all know Canadian soccer can be a backwards place but the avenues to advance become more clear every day. You might be surprised to learn mls isn't the worst league in the world and there are plenty of other places they can play if they have the talent.

Tell your friends to go out and get it done if they want to be professionals.

Brooker
11-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Yup, this thread is still awesome. Please, continue to page 3.

Oblio2
11-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Im 35, recovering from a ruptured achilles tendon and about 25lbs overweight...I drink and sometimes when I drink I smoke.....

I think I can make it to the MLS. Really.
Can I walk down to BMO field and grab a kit and become a Pro?
I do really well on FIFA on my PS2 and also, when I play pickup im not bad (ask the guys at The Docks)....I would like to see if I can get a spot on the Canadian roster for World Cup Qualifying.

TOBOR !
11-12-2010, 09:28 AM
I think we're done here

Fort York Redcoat
11-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Yup, this thread is still awesome. Please, continue to page 3.

I think we're done here

Survey said?

TOBOR !
11-12-2010, 09:53 AM
^well, it's up to Dv23 really. Most of the good stuff's been used up, but if he comes back and stokes the embers I suppose we're back on and anything can happen... but this is like trying to keep a party going after you've run out of beer.

Dv23
11-12-2010, 11:18 AM
If you guys want me to keep going, I'll be a team player. I understand that there's not much else to discuss on these boards at the moment. I actually think this thread is pretty funny. :jester:

Red4ever
11-12-2010, 04:53 PM
^well, it's up to Dv23 really. Most of the good stuff's been used up, but if he comes back and stokes the embers I suppose we're back on and anything can happen... but this is like trying to keep a party going after you've run out of beer.

effing epic. hahahaha

J .
11-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Heres how to make TFC.

Just run out onto the field next game. Dazzle them with your skills as you elude defenders and security, cross the ball to yourself and bicycle kick it right into my private box because I am awesome at Football Manager 2011 so they'll give me the GM/coach job.

I'll ink you to a DP contract.

Or you/they could tryout for a CSL team.

alex andrew
11-12-2010, 05:46 PM
when i read the original post, i remembered a question asked by a young but not very young gentleman and answered by the tv commentator.

it was i think, around the time schumy scored the second world title, somewhere in between benetton and ferrari...completely forgot, lol, but he was good, schumy i mean.

a tv viewer calls ( call for a chance to win chewing gum or what not ) and asks the commentator:

dear sir ( and he was dead serious ), i am this, this and this, i am 22 years old, i love to drive, i can drive, everybody says i'm very good, i am skilled, fearless, hahaha...pardon my memories, and so on.

my question is, how can i run against michael in the formula one ? i'm pretty good, what are the steps i should take ?

and the commentator said, ( approx )

it's very simple.

by the age of three and a half you've got to drive a kart, by four you should win a local competition, then move to the 6 years olds and win all competitions you enter.

then you go to...etc etc etc...rallies, formula 3, formula 2, win everything possible, and then maybe somebody hires you to run formula one cars and then maybe, maybe...

you'll run against michael, but you got to start at three and be the best at all levels.

---------

sorry, don't know if it has anything in common with the subject here, but every now and then since, i remeber this answer.

TOBOR !
11-12-2010, 08:18 PM
^ you should take something for that cold.

alex andrew
11-12-2010, 08:35 PM
stella artois