PDA

View Full Version : Michael Owen to MLS?

MartinUtd
11-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Looks like he's already considering life after the Premier league

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/11/02/manchester-united-striker-michael-owen-considers-mls-move/

Definitely skilled, but is he worth the risk?

ps- forgive me if its posted already

ExiledRed
11-03-2010, 12:39 PM
In 1999 I made a fifa team called Toronto FC, with a bunch of fake players and Michael Owen. The team wore all red and all its opponents were terrible.

If Michael Owen comes here, I'm going to make a fifa team for Guelph.

DangerRed
11-03-2010, 12:39 PM
I think it's worth the risk. The guy still has plenty of him. But as one of the commenters on the article you posted points out, MLS is a little hack-ier league than the EPL, which means his injury problems could soon become an issue if he were to come here.

With that said, there's no denying the guy has skill.

I just see him going to New Yawk before he thinks of TFC

Wull
11-03-2010, 12:42 PM
if I thought he would play in 75% of our games I'd say go for it, sadly we can't execute a pay as you play deal under MLS circumstances

ExiledRed
11-03-2010, 12:44 PM
He'd only go to New York for money, if MLSE bettered the offer I dont see him turning it down to be honest. English people relate more to Canada than to the U.S. (This is why you get random english supporters showing up here and saying 'I always follow Toronto if im up late enough to watch MLS')

He's being dying to play in all red for ages anyway, but Liverpool dont want him back.

MartinUtd
11-03-2010, 12:51 PM
In 1999 I made a fifa team called Toronto FC, with a bunch of fake players and Michael Owen. The team wore all red and all its opponents were terrible.

If Michael Owen comes here, I'm going to make a fifa team for Guelph.

Maybe he can play on our future CSL team in 2018.

Seen
11-03-2010, 12:52 PM
No way in hell do I want him anywhere near TFC. He's an unmotivated, injury-plagued, self-absorbed goof.

MartinUtd
11-03-2010, 12:54 PM
No way in hell do I want him anywhere near TFC. He's an unmotivated, injury-plagued, self-absorbed goof.

Self absorbed? You think? Admitting he's out of the national team picture sort of contradicts that. I mean.. look at Beckham talking about making the team. Now THATS self absorbed.

Seen
11-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Self absorbed? You think? Admitting he's out of the national team picture sort of contradicts that. I mean.. look at Beckham talking about making the team. Now THATS self absorbed.

I was specifically referring to his time at Newcastle, not the article. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Technorgasm
11-03-2010, 01:04 PM
If we are looking for a Rat fucking Judas, there are far better, healthier, younger players available for the type of $$ he think he's worth.

NICOL for COACH GM!
(whispers. . fowler for DP)

Menelaos
11-03-2010, 01:06 PM
People must think that what we currently have is golden and that there is a long line of quality strikers looking to come to TFC...

I would take Owen in a heartbeat if he's willing to sign with TFC.
It is riddiculous to argue he wouldn't be far better than anything we have and have ever had.

Seen
11-03-2010, 01:11 PM
People must think that what we currently have is golden and that there is a long line of quality strikers looking to come to TFC...

I would take Owen in a heartbeat if he's willing to sign with TFC.
It is riddiculous to argue he wouldn't be far better than anything we have and have ever had.

That's true...

However, the first time he steps on one of the plastic pitches in MLS, stubs his toe and misses the rest of the year, he will be our most expensive bust as well.

Cashcleaner
11-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Ya know, I used to be a bit of a Micheal Owen fan.

That was over five years ago.

Seriously though, I'm not sure I'd take the risk. MLS tends to be a more aggressive league (physically) and I don't think it would be long before injuries and the subsequent recovery from them become a problem.

Pigfynn
11-03-2010, 01:26 PM
In his prime he was as exciting to watch as Messi is now...(not saying that he was as good... I said as exciting.
Which is to say that in his prime he was the type of player that could score at any moment and man he was quick player.

Watching him score against Argentina in WC 98' was the moment that made me fall in love with this sport. what a goal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cHM31XoXMg&feature=related

He may be no where near what he was, but he can still score and if we're talking a 1-2 year contract....I'm in.

Alixir
11-03-2010, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't give Owen the steam off of my shit since he left Newcastle for the scum.

jabbronies
11-03-2010, 01:34 PM
I was specifically referring to his time at Newcastle, not the article. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I was going to say - you must be a Newcastle fan! hahaha.

I've heard about his prima donna ways. Helicopter rides to training?

Wull
11-03-2010, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't give Owen the steam off of my shit since he left Newcastle for the scum.
I think you'll find he left the scum to sign for real madrid (more scum):D

H Bomb
11-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I was going to say - you must be a Newcastle fan! hahaha.

I've heard about his prima donna ways. Helicopter rides to training?

he has a helicopter...if i had a helicopter i'd take it to work...he even helicopterpooled with Nicky Butt. He'd take names over here

ExiledRed
11-03-2010, 01:46 PM

But this is the thing, most TFC supporters dont give a crap any more than they care that the stupid fucker left Liverpool just when they were poised to do well, or that he went on to Manchester United.

In all seriousness, all that should concern TFC supporters are his injury record the fact that he played for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle and Manchester United and that he scored on Argentina and Brazil to add to his hat trick against the Germans.

If someone with that resume, isn't good enough for this team, we must be doing great!

torontocelt
11-03-2010, 01:53 PM
But this is the thing, most TFC supporters dont give a crap any more than they care that the stupid fucker left Liverpool just when they were poised to do well, or that he went on to Manchester United.

In all seriousness, all that should concern TFC supporters are his injury record the fact that he played for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle and Manchester United and that he scored on Argentina and Brazil to add to his hat trick against the Germans.

If someone with that resume, isn't good enough for this team, we must be doing great!

It would be stupid to say he wasn't good enough, when fit he is more than good enough. The fact is though that he is seriously injury prone and he would be a massive gamble. There is more chance going by his recent injuries record that he would find himself injured quite quickly and he would miss a huge amount of games. Thinking he would be able to play 75% of games would be very optimistic in my opinion.

I would think there are less injury prone players that TFC could look at if they were going for a big name DP.

tfcleeds
11-03-2010, 01:53 PM
No doubt Owen is still capable of the occasional flash of brilliance, but the guy is as gimpy as fuck. With our luck, he'd have a career-ending injury in his first training session with TFC. He should do himself a favour and just retire, before he thinks about coming over here.

If a horse is lame, you just shoot it. Shame you can't do the same to football players. ;)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-03-2010, 01:57 PM
seems he's also after his coaching badges...Could be a great opportunity for him to continue playing...get his badges while he's at it!..Without all the pressures and distractons of playing footy in europe!... Sorta like Dichio...

Love to see him here!.........

Vancouver DP....mark my words!;)

Seen
11-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Sorta like Dichio...

Dichio is a classy individual, Owen not so much...

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-03-2010, 02:02 PM
[quote=RPB_RED_NATION_RPB;1161844]Sorta like Dichio...

quote]

Dichio is a classy individual, Owen not so much...

Then you have no idea who owen is then....

you must be thinking of Hargrieves...lol

Seen
11-03-2010, 02:04 PM
RPB_RED_NATION_RPB[/B] ;1161848]

Then you have no idea who owen is then....

I know that Owen is a quitter...

Ossington Mental Youth
11-03-2010, 02:18 PM
pretty much just the injury issue for me

TFC07
11-03-2010, 02:30 PM
He'd only go to New York for money, if MLSE bettered the offer I dont see him turning it down to be honest. English people relate more to Canada than to the U.S. (This is why you get random english supporters showing up here and saying 'I always follow Toronto if im up late enough to watch MLS')

He's being dying to play in all red for ages anyway, but Liverpool dont want him back.

Based on what? English I have come across with tend to hate Americans, but yet love American culture while look down on Canadians and our culture. I can see Owen going to L.A. to join with Beckham or sign with Vancouver instead of Toronto.

If Toronto is going to sign a big name player, it's going to be some Italian or Portuguese player since Toronto pro teams have a bit of history of signing them in the past.

ExiledRed
11-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Based on what? English I have come across with tend to hate Americans, but yet love American culture while look down on Canadians and our culture. I can see Owen going to L.A. to join with Beckham or sign with Vancouver instead of Toronto.

If Toronto is going to sign a big name player, it's going to be some Italian or Portuguese player since Toronto pro teams have a bit of history of signing them in the past.

How many english have you come across? Did you live there? How many told you that they 'look down on canadian culture?'

I think that's a crock to be honest.

I would bet that of the english who actually watched the Canada v America hockey game, the vast majority were rooting for the Canadians. Many of us still believe cultural ties between our two nations are much stronger than those with the states, whatever the reality.

Oblio2
11-03-2010, 03:02 PM
If we are looking for a Rat fucking Judas, there are far better, healthier, younger players available for the type of $$ he think he's worth.

NICOL for COACH GM!

Anyone mention Sol Campbell?

TFC07
11-03-2010, 03:29 PM
How many english have you come across? Did you live there? How many told you that they 'look down on canadian culture?'

I think that's a crock to be honest.

I would bet that of the english who actually watched the Canada v America hockey game, the vast majority were rooting for the Canadians. Many of us still believe cultural ties between our two nations are much stronger than those with the states, whatever the reality.

I got family and friends in England who I talk to regularly. They admit Canadians aren't viewed highly (or not thought of at all), and American culture is quite popular there.

I am sure if Canada played against USA in basketball, English would root USA over Canada.

I think you're confusing English with Scots here. I know Scottish people love Canada.

ExiledRed
11-03-2010, 03:40 PM
I got family and friends in England who I talk to regularly. They admit Canadians aren't viewed highly (or not thought of at all), and American culture is quite popular there.

I am sure Canada played against USA in basketball, English would root USA over Canada.

Well with respect to your family, I dont think theyre speaking for the nation. I am english, I lived there for most of my life and would never have emigrated to the states.

American culture is popular everywhere because they export it wholesale. We like some of their sit-coms, we loved 'lost' and we can't avoid their music. Canada doesnt do this much, so this notion that the english embrace american culture and deride canadian culture, based on tv and music imports is a bit nonsensical.

As for the basketball, Im sure we'd root for the canadians, because you're still a major part of our history and didnt go to war with us.

I seriously dont know any english that hold a dim view of Canada or Canadians that wouldn't have a dimmer view of Americans.

I dont know why your family looks down on Canadians at all.

Belfast_Boy
11-03-2010, 03:40 PM

and I don't want him either.
he's an injury waiting to happen. and I'm not even gonna start on the other reason I don't want him

ExiledRed
11-03-2010, 03:41 PM
and I don't want him either.
he's an injury waiting to happen. and I'm not even gonna start on the other reason I don't want him

the other reason is irrelevant.

I'd take either of the fucking Neville brothers to TFC.

Belfast_Boy
11-03-2010, 03:51 PM
the other reason is irrelevant.

I'd take either of the fucking Neville brothers to TFC.

I'm not talking about the other thing....

but the Neville brothers, thats worse!

Redcoe15
11-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Couldn't give a shit about his other stuff. Bottom line, he's injury prone. And to bring that to a physical league like MLS?

No thanks.

Boondaddy
11-03-2010, 04:01 PM
he has a helicopter...if i had a helicopter i'd take it to work...he even helicopterpooled with Nicky Butt. He'd take names over here

LOL...now that's funny!

Boondaddy
11-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Anyone mention Sol Campbell?

LOL, that is also very funny.

Yeoman
11-03-2010, 04:17 PM
thought he said that he'd retire if no good team in the EPL, would take him?
could of sworn i seen that on goal.com just last week

J .
11-03-2010, 04:19 PM
I believe with his ability and pace he would do very well in MLS on a team that got him the ball in space or on a counter. Barrett is like a poor mans Owen.

Derko
11-03-2010, 08:14 PM

I am sure if Canada played against USA in basketball, English would root USA over Canada.

I think you're confusing English with Scots here. I know Scottish people love Canada.

I was born in England and have traveled back to the U.K. quite often and the general feeling I have ever got from anyone in the U.K. and the Republic of Ireland is that Canadians are very well liked and regarded with the up most respect. But then again I travel more in the North of England, need I say more!! :drinking:

Now back to topic, I think Michael Owen was a very good player years ago, but is far too injury prone. :drinking:

Derko
11-03-2010, 08:19 PM
That's true...

However, the first time he steps on one of the plastic pitches in MLS, stubs his toe and misses the rest of the year, he will be our most expensive bust as well.

But then again he might actually produce on the pitch, unlike JDG, excuse me I am going to puke again, I get sick every time I see those initials, JDG biggest criminal signing for TFC.

Kooper
11-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Couldn't give a shit about his other stuff. Bottom line, he's injury prone. And to bring that to a physical league like MLS?

No thanks.

If any team can sign him to the same style of contract that Manchester United have him on then it could be worth it. He is barely making 30,000 pounds a week and gets a bonus for games played and goals scored. If he plays and scores the makes some good money. If he doesn't and hurts something then he is costing United less than John O'Shea.

I am not sure if the collective bargaining agreement would allow it but if we could sign him to 200K/year and 20K/goal that could be a good deal. We would have to keep a DP spot open just in case he goes on a tear. His name alone would cover the 200K in shirt sales to Liverpool fans.

Oldtimer
11-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Michael Owen is rumoured to be considering leaving the Premier League and heading for the MLS.

There is no statement from the player, only a rumour.

IMO, this smells of a player agent trying to stir up interest in his client. I seriously doubt there is an truth to this.

ensco
11-03-2010, 09:46 PM
I seriously doubt there is an truth to this.

I disagree. The Henry and Marquez deals were very lucrative by Euro standards.

Lots of 30 something year old former star players would love to make $2-3 million for a couple of years and not have to live in some place like Turkey, Ukraine or the Emirates.

TorCanSoc
11-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Why can't MLSE open up the bank, and get a 25 year old wonder stryker? Dump JDG and MistaNoGoals, and get a bonafide super striker. Work a deal with sponsers just like Becks. Remember becks only gets 5 mill per year. But then he got additional endorsements worth 50mill/year or something stupid. That's why they threw around that 250 Mil number when he came over.

Cristiano Ronaldo. 400G to salary cap. 7Mill salary. Guaranteed 243 mill per year in endorsements. Four year contract. First ever billion dollar soccer contract. Lets get'r done. :crazy:

swan
11-03-2010, 10:38 PM
no thanks he will just get hurt

ag futbol
11-03-2010, 10:52 PM
michael owen would be awesome in MLS (for the 8 games a season he plays when not injured).

ag futbol
11-03-2010, 10:54 PM
I disagree. The Henry and Marquez deals were very lucrative by Euro standards.

Lots of 30 something year old former star players would love to make $2-3 million for a couple of years and not have to live in some place like Turkey, Ukraine or the Emirates.
Maybe we should give Daniel Güiza a call...

Blowing Bubbles
11-03-2010, 11:36 PM
fuck this clown he won't make it to 10 games played in a year

MartinUtd
11-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Damn it! I spelled Owen wrong in the thread title. Can a mod change that? It's going to bug the hell out of me.

prizby
11-04-2010, 01:10 AM
who is michael own?

razor787
11-04-2010, 01:53 AM
lol how is that only being noticed now?

As for Owen, if there is some way to pay him something like 200-300k, plus a few thousand per goal, then we would be PERFECT. If he gets injured, he isnt taking up a load of cap space. That would probally mean that we would have to use him as our DP though. Even if he plays 1 game, and gets injured without scoring any goals. He would be the cheapest DP the league has ever seen :P

Oldtimer
11-04-2010, 04:25 AM
Damn it! I spelled Owen wrong in the thread title. Can a mod change that? It's going to bug the hell out of me.

Fixed.

Cashcleaner
11-04-2010, 06:52 AM
It would be stupid to say he wasn't good enough, when fit he is more than good enough. The fact is though that he is seriously injury prone and he would be a massive gamble. There is more chance going by his recent injuries record that he would find himself injured quite quickly and he would miss a huge amount of games. Thinking he would be able to play 75% of games would be very optimistic in my opinion.

I would think there are less injury prone players that TFC could look at if they were going for a big name DP.

Exactly! One could argue all they want about the guy's past glories, but all of that counts for nothing if he's laid up with another hamstring problem.

We need to look at this as something like a person's resume versus their most recent medical report. Personally, I think it would be too much of a gamble when you consider how open the market could be for other star-quality DPs.

maninb
11-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Yeah let's make him a DP...he'll last 4-5 games and then shatter his thighbone walking down Queen St...Why would anybody consider somebody so FRAGILE??? sheesh...

maninb
11-04-2010, 08:04 AM

Sorry but you sir are full of SHIT!!!! I was born and raised in england and moved here after school, most of my family is still there...and can tell you 1000% that Brits LOVE Canadians, and by and large DETEST Americans....Why do you think you see thousands of Yank students travelling around Britain with Canadian flags on their backpacks?? Cause they know they get better treatment if people think they're Canucks!!! So piss off...you don't know WTF you're talking about!

koryo
11-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Owen's been a has-been for nearly eight years. Why are we having this conversation?

Hitcho
11-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Owen has always been a complete mercenary and does what is best for him, not his club or team. If he came here, he wouldn't give a crap about TFC or the fans - he'd be here for the pay cheque and would be constantly looking to see what else he could springboard into. His commitment level would match Robert's.

He'd also take no risks with injuries, and he'd have a LOT of them. He'd basically be an expensive experiment for the physios.

Plus I really don't think he's got that much left in the tank, which coupled with the two points above mean he'd be a bust for us. I'd pass and look elsewhere.

Hitcho
11-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Oh, and as a born and bred Englishman I can tell you that England generally grimaces at the USA, espcially when it comes to anything sport related, but tends to look on Canada as the lovable little nephew. In the Olympics, people would be cheering for Canada for sure over the USA. it's also generally considered a nice place to go and live, whereas the States is not (or not as much).

Section 117
11-04-2010, 08:19 AM
I would pass he would probably get hurt in training and have a "foot contusion" and be out for the season kind of like another DP we signed....

Oblio2
11-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Sorry but you sir are full of SHIT!!!! I was born and raised in england and moved here after school, most of my family is still there...and can tell you 1000% that Brits LOVE Canadians, and by and large DETEST Americans....Why do you think you see thousands of Yank students travelling around Britain with Canadian flags on their backpacks?? Cause they know they get better treatment if people think they're Canucks!!! So piss off...you don't know WTF you're talking about!

England, born and raised....came here at 18

So, I agree fully with this......

jloome
11-04-2010, 11:35 AM

By and large, and having had a large extended British family, I can safely say that Britain has a post-colonial, post-empire inferiority complex -- or at least in did up until the 90s. I kind of lost the thread after that. Entirely possible they now resent Americans, generally, as most people do.

On the whole I found that, like most places, most people judge the person, not the passport. It's funny that we let our view of nation be defined by the loudest minority of fools.

ExiledRed
11-04-2010, 12:38 PM
By and large, and having had a large extended British family, I can safely say that Britain has a post-colonial, post-empire inferiority complex -- or at least in did up until the 90s. I kind of lost the thread after that. Entirely possible they now resent Americans, generally, as most people do.

On the whole I found that, like most places, most people judge the person, not the passport. It's funny that we let our view of nation be defined by the loudest minority of fools.

For brits, watching Canada, New Zealand or Australia paste the americans is the next best thing to doing it themselves.

put a british star at the front of this team, and TFC sells itself to the brits as the canadian underdog fighting the americans. I think such an angle would sell the team and the league, increase revenue for both and create future DP options in years to come.

Derko
11-04-2010, 12:47 PM
I thought this was about Micheal Owen, injury prone

Brooker
11-04-2010, 02:10 PM
yeah but now they're talkin' about something that's interesting. :)

ExiledRed
11-04-2010, 02:20 PM
I thought this was about Micheal Owen, injury prone

How is talking about Owen's marketability and how TFC could be an attractive destination for such players changing the subject?

brad
11-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Interesting that this rumor comes less than a week after an interview with Owen where he stated that he wants to stay at United as opposed to playing for a lower calibre EPL team when his United contract is over (and there are EPL teams that want him). Said he'd much rather play few game with top quality teammates than more games with lesser players.

Doesn't exactly sound like someone planning a move to the MLS

ExiledRed
11-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Interesting that this rumor comes less than a week after an interview with Owen where he stated that he wants to stay at United as opposed to playing for a lower calibre EPL team when his United contract is over (and there are EPL teams that want him). Said he'd much rather play few game with top quality teammates than more games with lesser players.

Doesn't exactly sound like someone planning a move to the MLS

In a world where Owen gets to choose if his contract gets renewed by United.

Owen says lots of shit like that anyway. I remember 'I want to stay at Liverpool' only like it was yesterday

jloome
11-04-2010, 06:14 PM
In a world where Owen gets to choose if his contract gets renewed by United.

Owen says lots of shit like that anyway. I remember 'I want to stay at Liverpool' only like it was yesterday

Can't hate him for it man. He basically ruined his own legacy, went from top striker on a top team that was about to win Euro to a crocked has-been. Plus, he's not very bright. Combine those things and it's impossible for me to feel animosity towards the guy (although signing with fucking united is not good on any level. That kind of pisses me off.)

Either way, I think any objective look at his recent years of performance say his injury risk is just too high. With the cap hit, no combination of contract clause protections makes it worth the risk of him being out most of the time.

ExiledRed
11-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Can't hate him for it man. He basically ruined his own legacy, went from top striker on a top team that was about to win Euro to a crocked has-been. Plus, he's not very bright. Combine those things and it's impossible for me to feel animosity towards the guy (although signing with fucking united is not good on any level. That kind of pisses me off.)

Either way, I think any objective look at his recent years of performance say his injury risk is just too high. With the cap hit, no combination of contract clause protections makes it worth the risk of him being out most of the time.

I dont hate him for it, I was disappointed with him when he left, and I was rooting for him to make a comeback even when he was with Newcastle. I think the difference between the injury risk to Owen and any other DP of this level or higher is marginal enough.

Im being whimsical probably, but even a half fit Owen buries practically every chance that Barret ever missed, and this kind of striker shouldnt be playing the full 90 on most games anyway.

Heathen
11-04-2010, 09:31 PM

Your family & friends are bullshitting you, can't think of many countries that most English wouldn't root for over the USA, maybe Argentina & Germany. Born and bred I know what I'm talking about.

Shakes McQueen
11-05-2010, 05:16 AM
For brits, watching Canada, New Zealand or Australia paste the americans is the next best thing to doing it themselves.

put a british star at the front of this team, and TFC sells itself to the brits as the canadian underdog fighting the americans. I think such an angle would sell the team and the league, increase revenue for both and create future DP options in years to come.

That's actually a pretty brilliant idea.

- Scott

v00d00daddy
11-05-2010, 06:00 AM

Uhh....hasn't this already happened? We don't need a Brit to sell this team to ex pats and 2nd generation Brits in Toronto. That sell has already occurred.

WTF?

As far as Owen as a player..I'd take him in a second. He'd be a massive upgrade to any scorer we have.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-05-2010, 06:57 AM
yeah i seem to think that brit comment was meant for another thread.
If not, I could care less what people in other countries think of our team (not to say i would stop them from supporting) especially if it means sacrificing how well our team would do. Owen would definitely contribute positively IF we could convince him to come here and IF (a MASSIVE if) he could stay healthy. I dont think he could stay healthy, and therefore I dont think he'd be worth the DP spot.

Mikey
11-05-2010, 07:23 AM
I think it would be seen as another high profile "retirement" to MLS, which is exactly what the league does not need.

ExiledRed
11-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Uhh....hasn't this already happened? We don't need a Brit to sell this team to ex pats and 2nd generation Brits in Toronto. That sell has already occurred.

WTF?

As far as Owen as a player..I'd take him in a second. He'd be a massive upgrade to any scorer we have.

Not what Im talking about. Im not talking about ex-pats, Im talking about getting MLS games on british TV and possibly generating a respectable enough viewership that it would be lucrative to do so.

Hitcho
11-05-2010, 11:02 AM
I think it would be seen as another high profile "retirement" to MLS, which is exactly what the league does not need.

Valid point. We need DP's coming here who are not yet ready for the glue factory. Owen basically is.

Not what Im talking about. Im not talking about ex-pats, Im talking about getting MLS games on british TV and possibly generating a respectable enough viewership that it would be lucrative to do so.

Great ambition, but can;t ever see it happening because:

1) the EPL is widely regarded as one of the best leagues in the world and even La Liga doesn't get that much of a look-in in England so why would MLS?

2) English fans tend to be die hards about their team in a way that North American fans aren't, ie based on local (cruel) geography, so they'll focus on Darlington County rather than Barcelona because that's their team, and again an MLS side is not going to get a look it. (Nod to Darlofletch! :D)

3) People still laugh (and I mean openly snort) about MLS in England. beckham was ridiculed when he came to MLS and when websites like TEAMTalk started covering MLS as a result of the Beckham move, fans complained about it and wanted it pulled down because they thought it was insulting to have the coverage there! Somehow I cannot see them watching MLS on tv for a long time yet.

jloome
11-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Valid point. We need DP's coming here who are not yet ready for the glue factory. Owen basically is.

1) the EPL is widely regarded as one of the best leagues in the world and even La Liga doesn't get that much of a look-in in England so why would MLS?

2) English fans tend to be die hards about their team in a way that North American fans aren't, ie based on local (cruel) geography, so they'll focus on Darlington County rather than Barcelona because that's their team, and again an MLS side is not going to get a look it. (Nod to Darlofletch! :D)

3) People still laugh (and I mean openly snort) about MLS in England. beckham was ridiculed when he came to MLS and when websites like TEAMTalk started covering MLS as a result of the Beckham move, fans complained about it and wanted it pulled down because they thought it was insulting to have the coverage there! Somehow I cannot see them watching MLS on tv for a long time yet.

You're discounting how much English fans are willing to watch neutral football on television. Match of the Day conditioned generations of English fans to appreciate watching even then their team wasn't involved, so that's not really the biggest issue.

And Tons of lower league and foreign football matches are offered regularly on cable and satellite there and unless things have changed, you can already get the odd MLS game.

Some people still laugh at it, yes, but that's changing. They even had a British MLS fan site for a while. Might still be up if you look around.

arbogast
11-05-2010, 11:13 AM

Your family & friends are bullshitting you, can't think of many countries that most English wouldn't root for over the USA, maybe Argentina & Germany. Born and bred I know what I'm talking about.

Weird. My experience, having been to the UK 3 times, is that it is obsessed with America and its culture and Canada is pretty much non-existant. And in terms of former colonies, Australia has a much higher profile than Canada. It was nearly impossible to get any Canadian news over there, even on the BBC Americas site and one posh wanker I met kept referring to Canada as "poor little Canada". Anyway, it's nice to hear that my impressions were in fact wrong.

twistedchinaman
11-05-2010, 11:18 AM

Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaattt?????

ExiledRed
11-05-2010, 11:31 AM

You're highlighting specific instances as general fact.

During Beckhams first year they were running MLS slots on late night sports shows. One fan poll even came back with TFC as the favourite MLS team of all the viewers who voted.

MLS season runs during the EPL off season, there's not much else to watch and many british fans tune into foreign leagues during this time.

I dont see them snubbing MLS over La Liga if we continue to attract large name DPs and if we acquires a few british heroes, I see younger british fans getting all over it to be honest.

If we had gotten Robbie Fowler in year one, you would have had thousands of people from Liverpool alone subscribing to MLS.net pay per view just to watch him playing for the canadian team (in red) and hopefully sticking it to the yanks.(and even better, Beckham's team). We'd have had scousers showing up at the airport looking for BMO field on matchdays.

And Im not trying to harp on Robbie Fowler, If we'd ever persuaded Zidane to be a DP, imagine what that would have done for MLS off shore viewership and credibility?

v00d00daddy
11-05-2010, 12:43 PM

Ahhh...Okay. Sorry...misunderstood I guess.

As for increasing viewership or popularity overseas...not a priority for me right now. I just want players who will make this team better.

A healthy Owen would do that.

Seen
11-05-2010, 12:56 PM
A healthy Owen would do that.

But that's the kicker. He hasn't been healthy for any length of time for at least 5 years. And at his age (31 in Dec), I don't think he will be.