PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver starts training

Petor
11-02-2010, 04:28 AM
Vancouver started their training camp yesterday(Monday).
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/whitecaps-start-six-week-training-camp
When will we start ours?
I know that we don't have a coach or gm yet but how far ahead of us are they going to get?
They have a core group of 20 players and thats probably more than we are going to have after they put the axe away.
I hope TFC have some plans as I don't want the whitecaps to dance on our heads.

Oldtimer
11-02-2010, 07:02 AM
I don't know what the current CBA says, but the old one gave each player 6 weeks off after the end of the season (article 14).

If it's in the CBA, TFC has no choice.

Vancouver isn't under the new rules until January 1st, so they are taking advantage of the players being under D-2 rules until December 31st.

boban
11-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Vancouver started their training camp yesterday(Monday).
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/whitecaps-start-six-week-training-camp
When will we start ours?
I know that we don't have a coach or gm yet but how far ahead of us are they going to get?
They have a core group of 20 players and thats probably more than we are going to have after they put the axe away.
I hope TFC have some plans as I don't want the whitecaps to dance on our heads.
I don't know what kind of advantage it is training this early anyhow.
Shows they are anxious and thats about it. Doesn't mean you will be far ahead of anyone currently in the MLS in terms of training.

rocker
11-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Oldtimer is correct. the league mandates the length of the player holiday period. I believe the gap means they can start camps at the end of January.

habstfc
11-02-2010, 10:50 AM
I think it's more of an evaluation camp than anything. I'm sure at least half the players will be "cut".

flatpicker
11-02-2010, 10:51 AM
I don't know what kind of advantage it is training this early anyhow.
Shows they are anxious and thats about it. Doesn't mean you will be far ahead of anyone currently in the MLS in terms of training.

I would have to think that having more time to prepare, practice strategies and game plans, and gel with teammates would be advantageous.
But like habs said, it's early days and this is likely a way for them to make the transition into MLS.

boban
11-02-2010, 12:32 PM
I would have to think that having more time to prepare, practice strategies and game plans, and gel with teammates would be advantageous.
But like habs said, it's early days and this is likely a way for them to make the transition into MLS.
You don't need 6 months for that. This early is counter productive.

Oldtimer
11-02-2010, 12:37 PM
I think it's more of an evaluation camp than anything. I'm sure at least half the players will be "cut".

... and that probably is the real reason.

rocker
11-02-2010, 01:09 PM
ya, evaluation makes sense.

Vanny is gonna realize pretty quickly that they probably won't keep many of their previous players, or those guys will be at the back end of the roster.

I predict most of the starting lineup next year will include players not currently on their team.

J .
11-02-2010, 02:15 PM
They didnt have a bad team and I think they will keep a surprising amount of players, especially the younger Canadian talent.

rocker
11-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Seattle had a good USL team too and barely kept anyone from it in MLS.

Again, most of these guys won't start in my opinion. Most of the starters will come from expansion draft and college draft players, and any January window signings (or signings next summer).

If Vanny wants to be competitive they can't do it with mostly USL-NASL players.

So any camp now would not be useful for some sort of "first team bonding" but could help them decide who to keep around for the bench.

BFin
11-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Seattle had a good USL team too and barely kept anyone from it in MLS.

Again, most of these guys won't start in my opinion. Most of the starters will come from expansion draft and college draft players, and any January window signings (or signings next summer).

If Vanny wants to be competitive they can't do it with mostly USL-NASL players.

So any camp now would not be useful for some sort of "first team bonding" but could help them decide who to keep around for the bench.

1) Vanny? Really? Vancouver.

2) Toronto has managed to look absolutely pathetic with MLS/DP players...perhaps we could take the USL route and see how that goes?

rocker
11-02-2010, 03:07 PM
1) Vanny? Really? Vancouver.

2) Toronto has managed to look absolutely pathetic with MLS/DP players...perhaps we could take the USL route and see how that goes?

umm.... TFC has had USL players and most looked useless, or at best, backups.

Name me a team that's succeeded in MLS with mostly USL players...........

I know people love to kiss Vancouver's ass on these boards, but I won't do that until they prove to me they can start a majority of USL/NASL players in the starting 11 and succeed. I doubt they'll even try that.

I heard Saputo talking about how he could put the Impact into MLS now with a few player additions and succeed... and i laughed ... and laughed... no way....

ArmenJBX
11-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Well, to be fair, if they're an MLS side, they wouldn't be USL players, they'd be MLS players :D

But yeah, there's probably not a team that wins with "USL" players :D To be fair, though, Sebastian Le Toux was a USL player and he's been pretty kick ass.

rocker
11-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Well, to be fair, if they're an MLS side, they wouldn't be USL players, they'd be MLS players :D

But yeah, there's probably not a team that wins with "USL" players :D To be fair, though, Sebastian Le Toux was a USL player and he's been pretty kick ass.

that's why I used the word "majority." ;)

Of course you'll find a decent player here and there in the USL. But you cannot field a good team with majority USL players in the starting lineup. Now, if you want to finish last, field mostly USL players.

the amusing this is that Le Toux was one of a few holdovers from the USL in Seattle and he was more a bench player than a starter in his first MLS season. It's only in Philly that he's starting regularly.

Seattle's the best comparison and they succeeded by NOT simply turning the USL team into the MLS team.

ag futbol
11-02-2010, 05:00 PM
I know people love to kiss Vancouver's ass on these boards, but I won't do that until they prove to me they can start a majority of USL/NASL players in the starting 11 and succeed. I doubt they'll even try that.
If they want to be anything better than average, they have to ditch most of the USL guys, save a few of the young prospects.

I don't think their success is a fore-drawn conclusion by any means and could see thoresen being a problem. Don't really think he's a MLS level coach.

jloome
11-02-2010, 07:58 PM
If they want to be anything better than average, they have to ditch most of the USL guys, save a few of the young prospects.

I don't think their success is a fore-drawn conclusion by any means and could see thoresen being a problem. Don't really think he's a MLS level coach.

Time will tell, eh? You might be right on that.

I hear Portland's cutting most of their first team this week.

BFin
11-03-2010, 11:28 AM

I heard Saputo talking about how he could put the Impact into MLS now with a few player additions and succeed... and i laughed ... and laughed... no way....

Sarcasm dude. Sarcasm. Sense it. Feel it. Do not respond to it.

Toronto_Bhoy
11-03-2010, 01:46 PM
I wish we had formed our front office the way Vancouver has.

rocker
11-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Sarcasm dude. Sarcasm. Sense it. Feel it. Do not respond to it.

What sarcasm am I responding to? I didn't respond to anything remotely looking like sarcasm.

Redcoe15
11-03-2010, 03:58 PM
I wish we had formed our front office the way Vancouver has.
For that to have happened, MLSE needed to have a better clue about soccer.

Macksam
11-04-2010, 09:47 AM

I agree that they can't win with USL players but the players they got this year were not USL players. Guys like Rochat and Chiamunto(sp) were brought in specifically to be evalutated for MLS.