PDA

View Full Version : Stop The 'Premium MLS Match' Bullshit

James17930
11-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Well, I'm surprised that they managed to once again slip the 'Premium MLS Match' pricing bullshit under everyone's noses again this year. I guess because most of us are season ticket holders we don't really notice it, but this whole idea of charging more for single seats for certain MLS games is a complete and total scam. What possible rationale is there for that? Is there any other team in any other league who does that? Isn't it obvious price gouging?

It's too bad that no one brought it up during the town halls and now it looks like everyone's stuck with it again for next year, but I really think this is the next thing everyone needs to get on the FO about, because it's just so filthy.

THERE ARE NO 'PREMIUM' MLS MATCHES -- THEY'RE ALL THE SAME.

Stop gouging the fans!!!

Oblio2
11-01-2010, 10:25 PM
EPL teams do Premium games......Other leagues do it.

werewolf
11-01-2010, 10:30 PM
New York and LA are certainly worthy of "premium" pricing from a business perspective, just based on their stars. However, given the relatively small number of single game tickets that go on-sale for any MLS match, I don't see how much difference it could make in the grand scheme of things. Its not like the Jays where the attendance doubles against certain opponents, because people are interested in seeing the other team.

Having the likes of DC (even before this year) as a premium match is a scam. The corporation would go a long way in showing some good will, and have the tickets being the same price for all matches.

prizby
11-01-2010, 11:10 PM
every game should be a premium game...TFC should be able to provide a premium product at these prices

ilikemusic
11-02-2010, 12:28 AM
every game should be a premium game...TFC should be able to provide a premium product at these prices

And thats about all that needs to be said.

James17930
11-02-2010, 01:36 AM

Okay, but I'm sure that's based on decades of rivalry and things like . . . Liverpool vs. Man United, Spurs v. Arse and so on. That I could understand.

But it's pretty clear that all MLSE does is look at the current rosters of the teams and say 'oh, which one has the most DPs?' and then jack the price up for that game. And so the 'premium' teams change every year.

That's bullshit.

Wagner
11-02-2010, 05:40 AM
Premium game pricing really affects non-season ticket holders.
SSH's pay the same unit price per game.
and if you can't make the game, the pricing is actually to your benefit.

Fort York Redcoat
11-02-2010, 07:34 AM

Makes no sense in a parity league though, right?

And please if your friends jumped off a bridge...

james
11-02-2010, 07:51 AM
england teams often have a Category A,B and C price for ticekts. Teams like Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U and Liverpool would be in category A prices. While teams like Everton, Villa, Tottenham and so forth fit in category B while teams like Wigan or Blackburn often fit into category C prices.

However in the Premiership they have a bit more of a reason to charge more for different games as some teams are just much bigger in fan base and money spent on the players compared to other teams. While in MLS, the difference in quality of play on the field doesnt really change that much from a top place team to a bottom place team, the gap is much closer. And teams like NYRB who are a "premium" team up untill this year were complete shit on the field yet we still payed premium prices in passed years. And really for the most part in MLS there is no one team that everyone wants to see play, no one really gives a shit if they play Chivas or Dallas or chicago, really everyone is just there to see Toronto FC play!

Miko
11-02-2010, 08:15 AM
If you think Premium pricing is bad, wait til you see Dynamic pricing.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2010/02/giants_dynamic_pricing_system_1.php

Carts
11-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Lets be honest - you can have "premium prices" for a million reasons...

Take a Saturday afternoon game over a Tuesday night... Much easier to sell that Saturday afternoon ticket - they could premium tag that...

Montreal will definitely get a premium price tag. Why? Because they'll probably have several hundred out of town supporters wanting to purchase tickets...

Premium price games don't really bother me. I pay it in every sport I buy tickets for...

Also, remember, if "premium pricing" didn't exist, the price-per-game would simply be higher as it all averages out...

To be honest, its a non-issue for me...

Next thing we're going to have people complaining that 108 is more expensive than 109, even though two seats are separated by only an aisle etc etc etc...

Where does it end...?

Carts...

JonO
11-02-2010, 08:29 AM
If you think Premium pricing is bad, wait til you see Dynamic pricing.

Yikes! Good quote from the article:

But the notion of "premium game pricing" sends fans an unmistakable message. It means "premium" teams visit AT&T Park, but the home squad is not one of them.

Cowboy905
11-02-2010, 08:43 AM
every league has premium games. i'm not against it. it is what it is. this is nothing new here.

with regards to Dynamic pricing, the Raptors are doing that this year.

rocker
11-02-2010, 08:58 AM
why should I care about this topic when I'm a season ticket holder?

I don't give a shit if somebody with no STs has to pay premium pricing to see a single game.
They aren't forced to buy the seats to those games. Go see a non-premium game then.

Oldtimer
11-02-2010, 09:07 AM
why should I care about this topic when I'm a season ticket holder?

I don't give a shit if somebody with no STs has to pay premium pricing to see a single game.
They aren't forced to buy the seats to those games. Go see a non-premium game then.

If you'll note, the original complainer is in Taipai.

I doubt he goes to any games (unless he makes the flight maybe once every year or so). :rolleyes:

Fort York Redcoat
11-02-2010, 09:21 AM
i cannot believe the fucking apathy in here. If you don't agree that some teams are premium teams or you think a match ticket should be the same regardless what day of the week then it's the principle. I don't give a shit if this kind of pricing is everywhere. I don't want it here.

How is this any different than scalping in concept? It's everywhere but you don't see other sports fans in this city whinge about it. Many celebrate scalped tix. I don't want ANYONE to get hosed in a premium way. Those are my fellow TFC supporters.

As an aside: I'm a STH

Mark in Ottawa
11-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Premium pricing exists everywhere and is always based on a perceived supply & demand curve. Once people stop paying extra for the "privilege" of seeing "better quality teams" then prices will be adjusted.

Fort York Redcoat
11-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Premium pricing exists everywhere and is always based on a perceived supply & demand curve. Once people stop paying extra for the "privilege" of seeing "better quality teams" then prices will be adjusted.

Oh Christ that sounds like the "P" word. None of that talk in the offseason pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.:o

James17930
11-02-2010, 09:42 AM
If you'll note, the original complainer is in Taipai.

I doubt he goes to any games (unless he makes the flight maybe once every year or so). :rolleyes:

True, I no longer do . . . but so what? I'm trying to highlight something that I think is wrong for the benefit of others.

I find it disappointing that you're bringing up something which is irrelevant to the issue, and that you don't seem to care about something which, as mentioned, in a parity league, is basically price gouging.

Carts
11-02-2010, 09:49 AM
i cannot believe the fucking apathy in here. If you don't agree that some teams are premium teams or you think a match ticket should be the same regardless what day of the week then it's the principle. I don't give a shit if this kind of pricing is everywhere. I don't want it here.

How is this any different than scalping in concept? It's everywhere but you don't see other sports fans in this city whinge about it. Many celebrate scalped tix. I don't want ANYONE to get hosed in a premium way. Those are my fellow TFC supporters.

Its not scalping - not even close...

One could try and argue 'price gouging' I guess...

Nobody is getting hosed either...

Lets use this analogy (using rounded numbers etc): TSN costs a cable subscriber $5 a month... TSN HD costs a cable subscriber $10...

WAIT!!! They show the same thing don't they...???

Yes and no...

The same can be said for a "premium game"... Yes, its the same base product 'TFC MLS Match' but you're paying more for what you're getting...

Whether that's a Saturday afternoon, a certain team, a certain competition (MLS, CCL etc)...

Some things cost more than others...

What about "premium gas"...? In the end, its the same base product. Gas, makes your car move. But they've filtered it a little more etc...

People seem to complain about everything...

My question to a lot of people; when will you be happy...?

If the answer is either "never" or "when the games are $2 and we go undefeated" well then you have a long hill to climb before you have a smile on your face...

Just my thoughts...
Carts...

Fort York Redcoat
11-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Its not scalping - not even close...

One could try and argue 'price gouging' I guess...

Nobody is getting hosed either...

Lets use this analogy (using rounded numbers etc): TSN costs a cable subscriber $5 a month... TSN HD costs a cable subscriber $10...

WAIT!!! They show the same thing don't they...???

Yes and no...

The same can be said for a "premium game"... Yes, its the same base product 'TFC MLS Match' but you're paying more for what you're getting...

Whether that's a Saturday afternoon, a certain team, a certain competition (MLS, CCL etc)...

Some things cost more than others...

What about "premium gas"...? In the end, its the same base product. Gas, makes your car move. But they've filtered it a little more etc...

People seem to complain about everything...

My question to a lot of people; when will you be happy...?

If the answer is either "never" or "when the games are $2 and we go undefeated" well then you have a long hill to climb before you have a smile on your face...

Just my thoughts...
Carts...

I was comparing the 2 issues: Premium games and scalping. Both can be reasoned with "It's commonplace, it happens everywhere".

Since when does that make it right? If people want to bitch about an injustice on any scale that's what we're here for.

Gas. Cable. We see the difference. Don't tell me there's a huge difference in demand for this leagues teams. The subtle differences in these teams quality do not justify the term "premium".

All league matches should be the same price.

Toronto Ruffrider
11-02-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't mind it if there are premium games... as long as there are value games at the other end of the spectrum. The Blue Jays offer value games for certain low-profile games, and I applaud them for it. If a TFC game against FC Dallas on a Wednesday night isn't going to sell out anyway, why not give fans a little incentive to get into the stadium?

Cashcleaner
11-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Premium games exist because there will always be games that really truly have a higher demand from people to watch live. I totally hear where James is coming from and I think a good argument can be made about which games deserve to be labelled and priced as "premium", but at the end of the day I can recognize the fact that some games will always mean more to the club and the fans over others, and a price-point will be made to match that.

ilikemusic
11-02-2010, 10:27 AM

Ya, I think its fine to say you are okay with it because its just business or whatever, but its pretty annoying to hear so many people say "Im a STH so I dont give a fuck".

woolly
11-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Yikes! Good quote from the article:

Mind if I paraphrase that for my sig?

Fort York Redcoat
11-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Premium games exist because there will always be games that really truly have a higher demand from people to watch live. I totally hear where James is coming from and I think a good argument can be made about which games deserve to be labelled and priced as "premium", but at the end of the day I can recognize the fact that some games will always mean more to the club and the fans over others, and a price-point will be made to match that.

Well I'm glad to hear that some games are in more demand than others. I don't see it myself but I guess that's good for league growth.

My problem with it is I have reservations that all that happens is a raise in price for Premium and the "discount" games aren't such a bargain.

H Bomb
11-02-2010, 10:40 AM

dude that sounds so fun.

Fort York Redcoat
11-02-2010, 10:48 AM

dude that sounds so fun.

Yeah, personally the saying doesn't resonate. I've spent all day jumping off a bridge. Wasn't my idea.

Oblio2
11-02-2010, 11:24 AM

Just making a point that it's not out of the ordinary

James17930
11-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't mind it if there are premium games... as long as there are value games at the other end of the spectrum. The Blue Jays offer value games for certain low-profile games, and I applaud them for it. If a TFC game against FC Dallas on a Wednesday night isn't going to sell out anyway, why not give fans a little incentive to get into the stadium?

That's a fair point, but they don't do that. There is no 'other end of the spectrum.'

habstfc
11-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Also, remember, if "premium pricing" didn't exist, the price-per-game would simply be higher as it all averages out...

Carts...
EXACTLY

alex andrew
11-02-2010, 08:03 PM
what if premium games are ' the shape of things to come ?'

meaning....what if there is 'certitude' that some teams will be beefed up ?

i am looking forward to toronto fc being considered a premium priced team in california and / or new york ( seattle, etc )

Cowboy905
11-03-2010, 12:14 PM
what if premium games are ' the shape of things to come ?'

meaning....what if there is 'certitude' that some teams will be beefed up ?

i am looking forward to toronto fc being considered a premium priced team in california and / or new york ( seattle, etc )

that'll never happen as we are a Canadian team. we'll be premium for the Impact and white caps though, you can count on that.