PDA

View Full Version : Fox Soccer Report

Roogsy
10-31-2010, 11:39 PM
I caught the FSR tonight for the first time since Michelle left TFC to go back to Fox. I have a single reaction:

:puke:

Awful. The anchors on FSR are weak to begin with but they have their moments. They have lost some pretty decent ones in the past few years and are really regressing looking more and more amateur as opposed to experiencing the same progress that the Footy Show enjoyed which went from looking like a local cable show to a well-produced piece of sports broadcasting.

But add Michelle and it takes it to a new level of awkward. Her mispronouncing team and player names are bad enough. But she looks like she's had plastic surgery on top of that and it just looks weird.

Anyways, I stopped watching FSR some time back and I think I made the right choice. I will get my soccer news from Soccercentral, Footy Show and online.

TFC07
11-01-2010, 12:09 AM
FSR is a Canadian soccer show?

Super
11-01-2010, 12:12 AM

From Winnipeg too - of all places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Soccer_Report

Roogsy
11-01-2010, 12:12 AM

It's produced in Canada but is used in the US as their soccer coverage as well. The anchors are in Canada but some reporters are in the US, such as Max Bretos.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-01-2010, 06:29 AM
im gonna get rid of this channel, offers very little in the way of soccer, i cant remember the last time i watched this

ensco
11-01-2010, 06:55 AM
I like FSR. I hope it stays around.

Lots of rumors out that FSWC going out of business. Nobody seems to know. Shaw just bought it as part of a package of Canwest assets (out of the bankruptcy from Canwest). If you're a Bell satellite subscriber, there are notices on your guide that FSWC will no longer be available after Nov 23. If it goes, there are blogs where people are speculating that it may get replaced by EuroWorld Sport. Which might be an upgrade, I'm not sure.

Shakes McQueen
11-01-2010, 07:06 AM
If the Rogers channel package it's part of didn't also include GolTV, I wouldn't pay for it.

- Scott

rocker
11-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Jeremy St. Louis is very good. Is he still on there? I haven't watched it in many months.

Sweeper
11-01-2010, 08:44 AM
I like FSR, very thorough highlights every night at 10:00pm. EPL and Champions League review with Bobby McMahon is great, especially when he bashes people like Almunia and Crouch. He's a bit of a grumpy old man some times but knows his soccer.

Unfortunately I got the letter from Bell too. Do I have to switch to Rogers to be able to get this after Nov. 23rd? Is there some way to get this show online in Canada?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-01-2010, 09:03 AM

Lots of rumors out that FSWC going out of business. Nobody seems to know. Shaw just bought it as part of a package of Canwest assets (out of the bankruptcy from Canwest). If you're a Bell satellite subscriber, there are notices on your guide that FSWC will no longer be available after Nov 23. If it goes, there are blogs where people are speculating that it may get replaced by EuroWorld Sport. Which might be an upgrade, I'm not sure.

Euroworldsport is pretty decent, alot more football, not so much insight.
i prefer it myself

Pigfynn
11-01-2010, 10:09 AM
I like FSR, very thorough highlights every night at 10:00pm. EPL and Champions League review with Bobby McMahon is great, especially when he bashes people like Almunia and Crouch. He's a bit of a grumpy old man some times but knows his soccer.

Unfortunately I got the letter from Bell too. Do I have to switch to Rogers to be able to get this after Nov. 23rd? Is there some way to get this show online in Canada?

Yes he does. Very good footy brain

JamboAl
11-01-2010, 10:22 AM
McMahon might also be grumpy cause his beloved Dundee is in administration and getting docked 25 points. But I agree he is opinionated and right most of the time.

Sweeper
11-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Jeremy St. Louis is very good. Is he still on there? I haven't watched it in many months.
Yes he is

TFC07
11-01-2010, 03:10 PM
From Winnipeg too - of all places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Soccer_Report

It's produced in Canada but is used in the US as their soccer coverage as well. The anchors are in Canada but some reporters are in the US, such as Max Bretos.

Thanks.

Good. FSWC is so useless now. GolTV and main Canadian sports channel killed FSWC. lol

I know people with Rogers VIP package have EuroWorld channel. But I personally hope Bell adds Bold channel (Seems like they don't have this channel) instead of EuroWorld.

Kooper
11-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Did anyone else see what crap was on Setanta Sunday night instead of the regular premier league review show. That was awful. If I wanted to hear dumb callers complain about soccer and refereeing I would listed Bob McClown's show.

GBV
11-01-2010, 03:31 PM
I watch it often ... love that it's repeated late night ... hour after hour.
Helps with sleepless nights.
But I hate how they pimp all these "live" games they're showing and only about eight per cent of them are actually on the Canadian version of the channel ... all others U.S.-only.
Ergh.

Kevvv
11-01-2010, 04:29 PM
I like that they show Sky Sports News, pretty comprehensive (English) coverage, plus they show the Speedway results.

GuelphStorm2007
11-01-2010, 06:49 PM
I watch it my problem with it though is they advertise a lot of games they they do not broadcast which i find wierd. As far as the report goes they tend to cram a lot of stuff on in a 1/2 hour But other than that it is okay.

CretanBull
11-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I watch it my problem with it though is they advertise a lot of games they they do not broadcast which i find wierd. As far as the report goes they tend to cram a lot of stuff on in a 1/2 hour But other than that it is okay.

They hold different rights in Canada and America....

ilikemusic
11-01-2010, 07:22 PM
FSR really helped me get into and understand the international football calender. They do/did a great job of covering the whole spectrum of international football.

The quality has really gone downhill over the last couple years though. It was great back when it was just the two guys (Peacock and St Louis I think) with Bobby McMahon coming in for analysis but ever since they started 'throwing' to random people (like those chicks or that young Portuguese looking fella) to give the highlights for other leagues, it has really become hard to watch.

prizby
11-01-2010, 08:05 PM
how is this tfc related?

cmonyoureds
11-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Bobby McMahon should be getting far more exposure in a commentary role. Jeremy St Louis was pretty good, other than that - meh, not caring

greatwhitenorf
11-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Agree that McMahon should be rescued from this fate worse than death.

Stuck in a D.E.W Line broadcast journalism sweatshop with a gaggle of unpaid interns and the Kashima Antlers spokesmodel, Mitchelle Lissell.

Dreadful channel. Cancelled it ages ago, now get the Sawker Report for free cozza free previews of another dipstick channel operated by the same desperate people.

As for Jermey St. Louis, lost all respect for him when he started giggling his way - repeatedly - through over-enunciating Sebastien Schweinsteiger's name. Infantile and unprofessional.

ilikemusic
11-02-2010, 06:48 PM
how is this tfc related?

They both involve football.

How is your post football related?

And TSN should go after Bobby. I caught most of the Spurs-Inter match today and the studio work by Vic Rauter and the bald guy I had never heard of was just terrible.

prizby
11-03-2010, 11:52 AM
They both involve football.

How is your post football related?

And TSN should go after Bobby. I caught most of the Spurs-Inter match today and the studio work by Vic Rauter and the bald guy I had never heard of was just terrible.

international football thread...this forum is for Toronto FC related stuff like who the next coach is...or so i thought, when I had stuff moved in the past

Oldtimer
11-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Michelle is a former TFC staffer, that is the link (tenous as it may be).

Roogsy
11-03-2010, 12:16 PM
This stuff is for TFC and MLS related issues. It's right there in the description. Since Michelle both worked for TFC and FSR covers TFC and MLS, I don't think it's a stretch to have a thread that comments on their broadcasts in this forum. Let's be serious here come on.

Sweeper
11-03-2010, 01:38 PM
FSR really helped me get into and understand the international football calender. They do/did a great job of covering the whole spectrum of international football.

The quality has really gone downhill over the last couple years though. It was great back when it was just the two guys (Peacock and St Louis I think) with Bobby McMahon coming in for analysis but ever since they started 'throwing' to random people (like those chicks or that young Portuguese looking fella) to give the highlights for other leagues, it has really become hard to watch.
Don't forget Carlos Machado. Wonder what he's doing these days?

Sweeper
11-03-2010, 01:44 PM
For the FSR bashers, could somebody recommend a more thorough soccer report that covers all the big leagues, focusing on EPL, Champions League and MLS and is broadcast every night at 10:00pm? Oh ya and only $2.50 per month.

No seriously, Bell is cutting it off in a couple weeks and I can't switch to Rogers as I am under contract for another 10 months.

H Bomb
11-03-2010, 01:45 PM
the internet...skysports report, interviews on all major network websites. stuff like that...

jloome
11-03-2010, 02:29 PM
For the FSR bashers, could somebody recommend a more thorough soccer report that covers all the big leagues, focusing on EPL, Champions League and MLS and is broadcast every night at 10:00pm? Oh ya and only $2.50 per month.

No seriously, Bell is cutting it off in a couple weeks and I can't switch to Rogers as I am under contract for another 10 months.

It's called reading. goal.com covers more on their cover page than FSW does in a week.

Seriously, this channel is shit, has been shit, will always be shit. Haven't subscribed in three years. Can't stand hearing the mispronunciations.

My understanding is they buy sky sports' scripts, which is part of why it's so awkward, as British-isms don't translate. I swore if I heard Gillingham pronounced with a hard 'g' one more time I was gonna put a boot through the TV.

Shway
11-03-2010, 02:40 PM
i disagree.......

FSW is definately worth it!!!
if you want to talk about a channel thats not worth it or sucks is Sentanta Sports!
not worth the buck anymore

Derko
11-03-2010, 03:00 PM
It's called reading. goal.com covers more on their cover page than FSW does in a week.

Seriously, this channel is shit, has been shit, will always be shit. Haven't subscribed in three years. Can't stand hearing the mispronunciations.

My understanding is they buy sky sports' scripts, which is part of why it's so awkward, as British-isms don't translate. I swore if I heard Gillingham pronounced with a hard 'g' one more time I was gonna put a boot through the TV.

Off topic, but there actually is a hard 'G' Gillingham in North Dorset, the soft 'G' Gillingham (Jillingham) is in Kent. It's like pronouncing Worscesteshire as Wor sesti shire. That's just the silly English Language.
:drinking:

But I do agree with FSW being a shit station

Roogsy
11-23-2010, 01:13 AM
FSR covered yesterday's Cup game today. Jeremy St Louis just called Seattle Fans "officially the best fans in MLS" because "last year's final was better attended and supported right to the bitter end even though their team not in the final."

Kiss my ass St Louis. Go back to doing weather or whatever the hell you were doing before in your $200 improperly fitted suits and inability to pronounce even the easiest of last names.

FSR is now officially off my dial.

Jeff s
11-23-2010, 01:37 AM
FSR covered yesterday's Cup game today. Jeremy St Louis just called Seattle Fans "officially the best fans in MLS" because "last year's final was better attended and supported right to the bitter end even though their team not in the final."

Kiss my ass St Louis. Go back to doing weather or whatever the hell you were doing before in your $200 improperly fitted suits and inability to pronounce even the easiest of last names.

I saw it too. What pisses me off was how random it was. What a cheap shot.

Fuck that statement. Did seattle get 2000 people to columbus? Heck have they even been here? We had a higher attendance than they did in the CL, what does that say?

Seattle fans went for Beckham. TFC fans got to see two boring ass teams.

What a fucking asshole. He promoted our charity events in the past, and this is what he says? Is this a smart business thing to do now? To piss off your audience? Good move.

TFC07
11-23-2010, 01:39 AM

Seriously, what is up with these yanks? I guess it’s a cultural thing.

On a side note, Fox Sports World channel is no longer available for Bell TV subscribers. But sadly, we are not going to get a brand new channel. (This is what some Customer rep told me)

Jeff s
11-23-2010, 01:42 AM

On a side note, Fox Sports World channel is no longer available for Bell TV subscribers. But sadly, we are not going to get a brand new channel. (This is what some Customer rep told me)
The show is in Winnipeg I think. Jermey is Canadian.

colman1860
11-23-2010, 01:47 AM
If I wanted to hear dumb callers complain about soccer and refereeing I would listed Bob McClown's show.

Maybe if you actually did listen to his show, you would realize that it's about neither of those things.

It's about providing insight into sports (with a focus on sports business) by conducting superb interviews with knowledgeable guests. By far the most intelligent sports show I've ever heard.

Listen to the podcast sometime (I do almost every day) - free on itunes.

FWIW - callers get 2 out of the 15 hours every week.

/offtopic

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-23-2010, 01:52 AM
Getting in on this a little late on in terms of the thread, but does anyone know why Fox Soccer Report is shown on Euro World Sports and FSC? Are they partnered up or set to merge or something?

Shway
11-23-2010, 02:01 AM

its gone now!

Stryker
11-23-2010, 02:06 AM
FSR is junk. I just cancelled it last week. Hopefully I'll never have to see Michelle whatever her name is's witchy face again.

menefreghista
11-23-2010, 08:52 AM
I actually agree with him that we aren't the best fans in the league anymore. And I blame MLSE for making that happen. All the years of shit teams and greed have gone too far.

I still think we have the best supporter's groups though.

Sullivan
11-23-2010, 09:00 AM
McMahon might also be grumpy cause his beloved Dundee is in administration and getting docked 25 points. But I agree he is opinionated and right most of the time.

Bobby McMahon is one of the expert consultants that Sport Canada uses/retains for any/all requests for public money originating from the CSA.

Sort of explains why he thinks so poorly of the CSA.

He sees their work first hand, in its original form.:facepalm:

Roogsy
11-23-2010, 09:27 AM
I actually agree with him that we aren't the best fans in the league anymore. And I blame MLSE for making that happen. All the years of shit teams and greed have gone too far.

I am not even interested if we are or are not the "best" fans in the league. It's all subjective anyways. It's the need for a cheap shot without providing context. The game in Seattle was not played in near-zero temperatures. It wasn't 2 of the worst supported teams in the league playing each other. It wasn't 2 of the least-recognized teams in the league playing each other. The fans didn't just go through an exhausting fight with the FO. The game was probably better promoted in Seattle. You could go on and on about the different circumstsances but instead he chose to ignore that and pass a judgement which in and of itself is bad enough since it's not his job!!!

Screw him. He can freeze his ass off in Winnipeg for an audience of 100 this winter.

Chevy
11-23-2010, 10:09 AM
+1. If Sunday's match was in Columbus you would have 5k at the game. Max.

greatwhitenorf
11-24-2010, 12:28 AM
The weather wasn't a factor. Cold or not, it didn't stop me or anyone I knew from going. But the ridiculous kickoff time was a definite deterrent. Jerry St. Louis can criticize Toronto fans all he wants - and he will, it's a regional pastime - but many of us have to get up early in the morning and manage his pension funds or print out his impending pogey forms. It was an excellent turnout, quality fans in numbers.

Been nice to have seen Fox Soccer lottery winner Derk Taylor, here on assignment-job search, maybe get up into the stands and interview some of the remarkable people who did come out. This was a great gathering of fans from so many different places. It may not have been loud in a partisan sense, but there was an audible buzz in the stands as fans chatted and enjoyed themselves. And were appropriately appreciative of the game.

I was skeptical it would be worth attending, then got dragged with my family and had a great time. Learned a lot and won't look askance at such events again.

As for Fox, it keeps showing up for free like a trojan virus. I now might be willing to pay to make it go away. Even Bobby McMahon's work is slipping. He was drraiid-full on Monday reviewing the weekend, preferring to josh around with his muppet co-hosts and swap a series of lame one-liners at the expense of any real insight. He's no Dale Barnes and he knows it. Dale knows it, too, and he's laughing his big bulldog ass off.

The shame of the Canadian broadcast industry. The sweatshop TV journalists of Manitoba's Mosquito Coast. An ugly problem that won't go away if you ignore it. Soccer fans from coast to coast have tried that already. Please, send what you can to your cable provider to make them go away.

TFC07
11-24-2010, 03:13 AM
The show is in Winnipeg I think. Jermey is Canadian.

Jermey is from Toronto? I think Toronto sports fans just support their own only while not caring about non-Toronto teams at all. (Example, MLS cup game and Bill games in Toronto).

Fort York Redcoat
11-24-2010, 08:03 AM

Best groups but not the best fans?