PDA

View Full Version : New coach rumours

jloome
10-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Craig Forrest said at the end of Soccercentral today that there's apparently been interest already from Roberto Donadoni, Franco Baresi, Iain Dowie and Carlos Quieroz.

Thoughts!?!?!?

denime
10-30-2010, 02:03 PM
I like to see something different than British style so Dowie is a no for me.

Bluenose13
10-30-2010, 02:05 PM
^^Preki style was by far the worst we have had.

nascarguy
10-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Roberto Donadoni --Italian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Donadoni has played for NY/NJ MetroStars

Franco Baresi --- Italian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco_Baresi

Iain Dowie-- Northern Ireland / england
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Dowie

Carlos Queiroz -- Portuguese
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Queiroz has managed for NY/NJ MetroStars

nascarguy
10-30-2010, 02:11 PM
it would have work if we had the right players to start with

ArmenJBX
10-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Queiroz eh? :D

I started a thread about whether or not he would come, and by the reception, it seems like he's not very well liked...

MLSE, if you're reading my posts:

SIGN JOSE MOURINHO! :D

Darlofletch
10-30-2010, 02:15 PM
dowie? meh! quieroz? would be a good assitsant coach to have around, but meh as head coach.

donadoni and baresi, don't really know enough about them as managers, but they're certainly interesting names, much higher profile than I would have thought, Dowie would be about the level i thought would have been our best options from abroad.

werewolf
10-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Quieroz has the better managerial record out of the four of them, and he was in New York when MLS was young. Seem like candidates with hype, more so then actual results, but I think any of those footballing minds are competitive with any coach in the league.

Darlofletch
10-30-2010, 02:22 PM
After a short spell as Director of Football at Fulham (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Fulham_F.C.), Baresi returned to Milan as a youth team coach in 2002. He was appointed head coach of AC Milan's Primavera Under-20 squad. In 2006, he was moved by the club to coach the Berretti Under-19 squad, with his former fellow Filippo Galli (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Filippo_Galli) replacing him at the helm of the Primavera squad. He retired from coaching and was replaced by Roberto Bertuzzo.

doesn't sound all that impressive, would be a big gamble.

Donadoni's record isn't great either, more experience, but not much reuslts wise.

hmm, initial excitement dying down.

London
10-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Roberto Donadoni --Italian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Donadoni

Franco Baresi --- Italian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco_Baresi

please don't toy with a milanista's heart, those are 2 rossonerri legends there

nascarguy
10-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Queiroz eh? :D

I started a thread about whether or not he would come, and by the reception, it seems like he's not very well liked...

MLSE, if you're reading my posts:

SIGN JOSE MOURINHO! :D
yeah sign him

zeelaw
10-30-2010, 02:47 PM
lol such huge names for a failing club wow.

TFC07
10-30-2010, 02:56 PM
lol such huge names for a failing club wow.

It's all about money which ML$E has plenty of.

Based on Wiki, Donadoni wants Aston Villa manager job.

TFC07
10-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Who's most offensive minded between those 4 coaches?

ensco
10-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Queiroz makes no sense. He could get a very big job in Europe.

Troll
10-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Queiroz makes no sense. He could get a very big job in Europe.

Based on his craptacular record as a manager?

I'd like to know what you think 'a big job in Europe' would be considered as.

arbogast
10-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Does any one know if Dowie coached Dichio at QPR and if so, did they get along?

CoachGT
10-30-2010, 04:53 PM
There is a comment in the book "the Beckham Experiment" that no European coach has ever come into MLS and been successful. The ones that have been in Europe and have had success here (Sigi for example) spent a considerable amount of time in the US system before they coached here. Assuming Preki to be successful on his career coaching resume, he played here before coaching and has a history with this game.

The concept of the draft (rewarding teams for finishing lower in the table) and the salary cap conspire against coaches that don't have that background.

As much as I hate to admit it, the writers of the Beckham Experiment may have it right.

razor787
10-30-2010, 04:55 PM
he only coached there from may-oct 2008, when we had danny.

arbogast
10-30-2010, 05:12 PM
he only coached there from may-oct 2008, when we had danny.

he wiki said he was also cartaker in 1998.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2vc6et3.jpg

ensco
10-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Based on his craptacular record as a manager?

I'd like to know what you think 'a big job in Europe' would be considered as.

Oh yeah, the guy's got zero good options.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1324982/Manchester-United-weigh-assistant-boss-Carlos-Queiroz.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Bars92
10-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Dowie all the way! But then I'm biased because he has caps for my country.

AL-MO
10-30-2010, 06:01 PM

This is true, but other styles have proven unsuccessful in our four years as well.

ag futbol
10-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Donadoni - someone the CSA should consider as opposed to TFC

Baresi - don't know much about him as a coach. All seems very brief.

Dowie - unfamiliar with his work

Queiroz - ok maybe there's something to be said here, but a lot of due diligence would have to be done first.

I can just see most of these guys hitting a rough spell and going to MLSE for the transfer money when the window opens to which they say "transfer money?"

Personally, I'm waiting for the guy who knows central and south america like the back of his hand. THAT'd be something that would peak my interest. There has to be someone available, Argentina they fire a coach every 30 seconds FFS.

jloome
10-30-2010, 06:12 PM
If we were going to another English coach I'd prefer curbishley to Dowie

Raging Reggie
10-30-2010, 06:29 PM
he wiki said he was also cartaker in 1998.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2vc6et3.jpg

was waiting for someone to make a Sloth reference. Downie there sorta looks like Dirk Kuyt. Another footballer that has been compaired to Sloth lmao

prizby
10-30-2010, 06:50 PM
There is a comment in the book "the Beckham Experiment" that no European coach has ever come into MLS and been successful. The ones that have been in Europe and have had success here (Sigi for example) spent a considerable amount of time in the US system before they coached here. Assuming Preki to be successful on his career coaching resume, he played here before coaching and has a history with this game.

The concept of the draft (rewarding teams for finishing lower in the table) and the salary cap conspire against coaches that don't have that background.

As much as I hate to admit it, the writers of the Beckham Experiment may have it right.

the writers of Beckham have been proven wrong...Hans Backe

jazzy
10-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Donadoni - someone the CSA should consider as opposed to TFC

Personally, I'm waiting for the guy who knows central and south america like the back of his hand. THAT'd be something that would peak my interest. There has to be someone available, Argentina they fire a coach every 30 seconds FFS.

This would be interesting but how would they react to the rough and tumble, less individual skills type of MLS soccer....unfortunately thats our fate....patient steps are needed........for sure......I'll wait for Klinnsman's referal....is there not a german or Dutch exp mgr out there....one would think maybe they could be flexible yet tough?

AL-MO
10-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Oh yeah, the guy's got zero good options.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1324982/Manchester-United-weigh-assistant-boss-Carlos-Queiroz.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Did he not also coach the Metro Stars a few years ago?

Strikers
10-30-2010, 08:03 PM
There are some good managers out there with out a job. I personally would be sending truck loads of money to Martin O'Neill. Also I would give Ronald Koeman some consideration.

Out of the four mentioned I would go with Roberto Donadoni

[NBF]
10-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Baressi- is my choice, I like someone that has climbed from the bottom up. Much like what Dichio is doing right now and Dasovic. What I expect though is someone who is going to build a team through the academy and is also looking at nationality.

Quieroz- I would not object to giving him the job. I'm sure he would want the job for the long term and he does have some familiarity with the league.

Donadoni- I dont know about this, he seems like a guy like Rudd Gulitt, who only is useful as long as theres already system in place. Also, plenty of turnover to take place in January, so I would think he would be more likely to stay in Serie A.

Dowie- If he wants the job he's got it as far as I'm concerned but he must bring with him two wingers and a target man. Hey if we're going to play English-style lets get actual players for that style system.

:scarf:Dowie, is probably the right choice for the GM and Baressi or Quieroz as a head coach would be a great choice.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-30-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm intrigued by Baressi. Maybe it's better to go with someone like him, who can grow into the role. There's a recent article by Gerry Dobson, in which he suggests that Donadoni is the favourite and that Quieroz contacted the team, not the other way around.

Doiwe, can't argue that he's a bad football man, just doesn't seem like a fit. Is TFC playing in the Championship next year?

Surprised to see all these Euro. candidates, especially after the claims they would somewhat shy away for Europeans (or more correctly individuals currently employed in Europe / no MLS experience) for the GM position.

Guilty confession: I think I like the post and preseason more than I like the actual season.

Hitcho
10-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Guilty confession: I think I like the post and preseason more than I like the actual season.

Haha. Well it's hard not to blame you, especially since there's no relegation threat to deal with...

If they hire Dowie I'll be pissed. Just cannot see that working out, and I don't rate him at all as a coach. That would negate any JK feelgood factor for me.

The others I don't know enough about to comment usefully, although Quieroz seems to be a classic case of style over substance. The only other coach I can think of who's reputation exceeds his results more than Quieroz more is Sven.

I say pass on all of them. Aim higher, and try harder to get someone better.

moralis
10-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Gerry Dobson article Dobson on TFC:The Candidates

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/10/30/dobson_candidates/

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Haha. Well it's hard not to blame you, especially since there's no relegation threat to deal with...

If they hire Dowie I'll be pissed. Just cannot see that working out, and I don't rate him at all as a coach. That would negate any JK feelgood factor for me.

The others I don't know enough about to comment usefully, although Quieroz seems to be a classic case of style over substance. The only other coach I can think of who's reputation exceeds his results more than Quieroz more is Sven.

I say pass on all of them. Aim higher, and try harder to get someone better.

Not sure TFC can aim much higher than Donadoni. Former Italian national team and Serie A coach. Linked with Liverpool last week. How well this qualifies him to coach in the MLS is another matter. I don't think he had to trade anyone for a partial allocation while at Napoli.

TFC/Everton
10-30-2010, 11:39 PM
I am blown away.....Klinsmann is going to consult for us and structure our club and academy, and we have a list of proven and respected coaches who actually want to come here? Outstanding!

DoubleUp
10-30-2010, 11:42 PM
I am blown away.....Klinsmann is going to consult for us and structure our club and academy, and we have a list of proven and respected coaches who actually want to come here? Outstanding!

If this is true! we are really taking step forward with the club and the city.:scarf::flare::scarf:

TFC07
10-31-2010, 12:07 AM

Toronto is well known soccer city and one of the biggest soccer markets in Canada and USA. lol I hope this open some posters' minds here now who always say we can't complete to acquire world class players, coaches and management.

Darlofletch
10-31-2010, 12:28 AM

not sure I'd call any of these guys proven and respected. they're bigger names than i would have expected, but what exactly have any of them proven.

DangerRed
10-31-2010, 12:35 AM
Donadoni would be awesome, though I hope we won't be watching another season of anti-football given his Italian pedigree.

Yohan
10-31-2010, 01:44 AM
not sure I'd call any of these guys proven and respected. they're bigger names than i would have expected, but what exactly have any of them proven.
may not be proven, but they'd certainly get a lot of attention...

Keystone FC
10-31-2010, 04:03 AM
I wonder if Klinsman had anything to do with this. Not that he has contacted any of these guys but the rumors of JK being a TFC consultant are already on the mainstream media in Canada and in the States so you know it's already being discussed in the soccer circle in Europe and elsewhere.
I said it in another thread that just the name Klinsmann being associated with TFC might bring in some talent that would otherwise not even look in this direction. Could it already be happening but in the form of coach choices?

twistedchinaman
10-31-2010, 05:35 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, the writers of the Beckham Experiment have it right on the money.

Fixed.

Can't walk into something and expect success without some sort of experience/background/training. You'd need to have a horseshoe up your wazoo if you were hoping just forcing something will work.

twistedchinaman
10-31-2010, 05:41 AM
Donadoni and Barressi are interesting, but Dowie is like...WTF? British style footy is on the way out in the Americas (in favour of a more Latin flavour); Dowie would be a step backward.

Queiroz, with his MLS experience, would help (even if it was in a smaller league...) So I'm not sure about any of the four in this list...but if I had to choose, I would go for Queiroz.

Either way, give JK a whip and let him have full reign; this ship needs a master to get it back on track. And if it needs a few cat-o-nine-tails to do it, then hell...bring it on!!!!

Ossington Mental Youth
10-31-2010, 09:24 AM
Toronto is well known soccer city and one of the biggest soccer markets in Canada and USA. lol I hope this open some posters' minds here now who always say we can't complete to acquire world class players, coaches and management.

Its not that well known, especially when comparing to the New York/LA Lifestyle. Regardless this is an argument for another thread.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Dont know enough about anyone of these coaches but for some reason I feel the impulse to back Queiroz as well...

zamperina
10-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Not trying to show my bias here but my pick would be Donadoni...Played on some of the best Milan teams and also Coached in the Serie A and Italian National team. Also played in the MLS for the N.Y. Metrostars so he knows how the league is run.

jloome
10-31-2010, 09:58 AM
Dont know enough about anyone of these coaches but for some reason I feel the impulse to back Queiroz as well...

NOOOOOOOO.......

Carver-like, only different skill set. Great tactician, well-liked, can't get performances out of his players. Crapped out in New York, crapped out at Madrid. They want him back at Man Utd because he can pick the game apart. But they've got Sir Alex for the motivational stuff.

Whoop
10-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Hans Backe came in without MLS experience and is doing alright.

auncivilized
10-31-2010, 10:03 AM
man people talk out of their ass on the forum
i would be happy with any of these choices
lately probably the best moves the club has made in a while
remember people this is mls given the right players anyone of those coaches would excel and the positive hype around the team doesnt help either havent felt this kinda of hype since season two

wzhxvy
10-31-2010, 10:10 AM
From JD's article it sounds like Donadoni is the only real contender for the job, at least out of the names listed.

I dont know much about him. Interesting though because he is a big name and I hope he will attract some talent.

ag futbol
10-31-2010, 10:11 AM
;1160354']
Donadoni- I dont know about this, he seems like a guy like Rudd Gulitt, who only is useful as long as theres already system in place. Also, plenty of turnover to take place in January, so I would think he would be more likely to stay in Serie A.

That somewhat concerns me, especially if TFC is already laying down conditionals like keeping the core of players we saw on media day.

The more I think about it, the more someone like Quieroz could make sense. He has a very good eye for talent. If that can be scraped down to the MLS level is a big question. Other than that, I have a much easier time believing he could integrate the parts he's going to be forced to use.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Not trying to show my bias here but my pick would be Donadoni...Played on some of the best Milan teams and also Coached in the Serie A and Italian National team. Also played in the MLS for the N.Y. Metrostars so he knows how the league is run.

My only issue is that it was over a decade ago, things have changed significantly since then

NOOOOOOOO.......

Carver-like, only different skill set. Great tactician, well-liked, can't get performances out of his players. Crapped out in New York, crapped out at Madrid. They want him back at Man Utd because he can pick the game apart. But they've got Sir Alex for the motivational stuff.

Ech, fair enough.
Out of curiousity who is your preferred choice?

Beach_Red
10-31-2010, 11:32 AM

It's frustrating because this could have been done four years ago. All they did was hire the consulting company Klonsmann is a VP of, all it took was writing a cheque.

I suppose we should be grateful they finally did it.

Darlofletch
10-31-2010, 11:45 AM

true. so did ruud gullit for LA. hopefully we do better than that.

Hitcho
10-31-2010, 11:57 AM

EXACTLY.

So - what good does that do us? (I know you're only making a point by the way Yohan, rather than saying this is a good reason to hire them! :D). We don't need a lot of attention. Gullit brought that with him to LAG and look where it got them.

man people talk out of their ass on the forum
i would be happy with any of these choices
lately probably the best moves the club has made in a while
remember people this is mls given the right players anyone of those coaches would excel and the positive hype around the team doesnt help either havent felt this kinda of hype since season two

If you're going to say people are talking out of their arses then support it with something. What has any of those coaches ever won as a coach or manager? How much MLS experience do any of them have, or in the case of Quieroz how well did he do in MLS previously? What makes them such good choices and obvious candidates for success? Being famous is useless, much like the results most of these guys have had in their coaching careers. So who's talking out of their arse now?

true. so did ruud gullit for LA. hopefully we do better than that.

Hey, that's what I just said... :D

ensco
10-31-2010, 12:25 PM
I'd wager that any name they leak this blatantly to the media is not under serious consideration.

The guy they actually want, will arrive unannounced one day. Why help the guy you actually want find a better job, or negotiate a better deal, by advertising your interest in him?

Darlofletch
10-31-2010, 12:40 PM
I'd wager that any name they leak this blatantly to the media is not under serious consideration.

The guy they actually want, will arrive unannounced one day. Why help the guy you actually want find a better job, or negotiate a better deal, by advertising your interest in him?

probably a lot of truth in that.

TFC/Everton
10-31-2010, 01:53 PM
probably a lot of truth in that.

At the same time, this creates competition between the four candidates. By leaking 4 names and making it obvious that Klinsman will be the one doing the hiring, it creates a buzz around the managers job. Their agents will know they their guy isn't the only prize in the lottery. I have no doubt that there is at least 1 or 2 dark horse names on the list. Only time will tell.

Either way, I am happy to see some buzz around this job.

prizby
10-31-2010, 03:31 PM

you will probably see that person being courted at a Toronto Maple Leafs game...

maninb
11-01-2010, 07:59 AM
No bloody way I want Dowie!!! ever watch one of teams play?? BRUTAL...Long ball 99.9% of the time....all's he knows is kick and chase....NO THANKS!!

ManUtd4ever
11-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Roberto Donadoni. Please and thank you!

P-NUTZ
11-01-2010, 09:50 AM
none of these blokes will do. As an Italy supporter, I can't vouch for either Donadoni nor Baresi.

Keep looking. Or just give the job to Klinsman at any cost.

boomcha
11-01-2010, 11:52 AM
I've said it before..

Queiroz?

Nao obrigado!

(No thanks!) And I'm Portuguese.

menefreghista
11-01-2010, 11:59 AM
none of these blokes will do. As an Italy supporter, I can't vouch for either Donadoni nor Baresi.

I thought Donadoni did a decent job with Italy. He wasn't afraid to bring in fresh blood, which is always a problem in Italy. I don't think there should be any shame in getting booted out of the Euro's by the eventual champions, Spain.

Plus he had the problem of players like Totti deciding to simply retire internationally after the World Cup.

He did a good job at Livorno before becoming the manager of Italy.

shwade
11-01-2010, 12:24 PM
I don't understand why people are knocking Queiroz and Donadoni. These are way bigger names than most of us were anticipating and they will definitely help attract better talent to our team.

boban
11-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I don't understand why people are knocking Queiroz and Donadoni. These are way bigger names than most of us were anticipating ....
If it is just name recognition as criteria, then you can't get bigger than Maradona. Perhaps TFC should make a run for him. Hajduk is showing interest in him, perhaps we could have him.

(BTW, I'm not knocking those two names. I think they would most definately help.)

ag futbol
11-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Am I allowed to speculate on Jose Peckerman? Would really like it if he was in the fold.

Not sure if he even speaks english.

Seen
11-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Would MLS uphold the Queiroz suspension? If so, I think he is unavailable until March, so he would be available for the first regular season match.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of any of these names. Are they bigger names than I suspected? Of coarse they are. However I would be happier with a bit of a lesser name that has more of a proven track record.

Queiroz has shown to be a great #2, but a lousy boss.

__wowza
11-01-2010, 02:00 PM
FOOTBALL, BLOODY HELL!!

http://newscaster.eu/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Sir-Alex-Ferguson.jpg

(i have absolutely nothing of value to contribute here)

Chevy
11-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Am I allowed to speculate on Jose Peckerman? Would really like it if he was in the fold.

Not sure if he even speaks english.

I wouldn't worry about it. Mo, Carver and Preki didn't speak English either. :D

jloome
11-01-2010, 05:08 PM
My only issue is that it was over a decade ago, things have changed significantly since then

Ech, fair enough.
Out of curiousity who is your preferred choice?

None of these guys. If I could get anyone (barring financial restraints, so I'm counting out Guus Hiddink and the like), probably Matthias Sammer as he's a proven entity, his contract with the German Federation expires in less than a year, he would work well with a plan directed by Klinsmann.

Second, I'd probably go with Alan Curbishley. Don't go by his bustup with West Ham, which was with a very shaky Icelandic ownership group that hopped it shortly thereafter. Very good at working with low budgets and always gets more out of teams than expected.

Third, I'd look for someone who has shown consistent talent at a lower level than a premiership entity, someone with structural detail in their systems and lineups, who fosters youth talent.

Fourth, I'd go for an existing MLS boss who might be persuaded to move. There are a couple of possible.

If you're going to hire top football minds to rebuild things, you want a world-class guy, if possible, to be your gaffer. Past that, you want the best of whomever is young and hungry. Past that, you want someone with a track record in this league.

Maybe Klinsmann could convince Sammer to be GM and head coach, LOL.

Beach_Red
11-01-2010, 06:13 PM
^ the issue would be to convince MLSE that one person should do both jobs, they're the ones saying the jobs need to be split.

There was a rumor that Paul Mariner was interested in the job, what do you think about him?

BASE
11-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Craig Forrest said at the end of Soccercentral today that there's apparently been interest already from Roberto Donadoni, Franco Baresi, Iain Dowie and Carlos Quieroz.

Thoughts!?!?!?

I just hope the big names being thrown about aren't leading fans on to a big disapointment if TFC end up with a lesser known candidate (and perhaps better for the job....i.e. Mike Sorber, Tom Dooley). For all we know agents throw these names in every job that has a potential big payout. Look at John Van't Schip coaching in Australia now - someone I always hoped would end up coming home to Canada to coach our national side.

People point to Hans Backe as a point of reference but I've watched countless high profile managers fail in MLS before. That said New York retained Richie Williams behind Backe, someone Backe has stated has been invaluable in his transition - something TFC don't have in the coaching ranks.

That said Donadoni + Quiroz do have MLS experience. I recall Donadoni helping Carlos Alberto Perierra at combines and such back in the early days of the New York Metrostars.

Its simply amazing how TFC are being forced to play the "big name" card it seems, due to their poor decsions on the field (retaining Mo Jo in 2009) and off the field (ticket prices).

GuelphStorm2007
11-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Donadoni did a decent job at Livorno which was not easy . So I woulkd not mind him here. But I would rather have a MLS experienced coach.

Section 117
11-02-2010, 07:47 AM
If TFC were to hire Donadoni, Quieroz insert big name coach here Dasovic is going no where. Hans Backe admitted in an interview that Williams (last years coach) was very valuable in helping adapt to the league.

So IMO I can see our new coach keeping Danny and Dasovic to help with the squad and help with the understanding of the MLS and the sytle of play here. This is good for TFC and good for both Danny and Nick as they both can be groomed for potentially head coaching positions in a few years.

arbogast
11-02-2010, 08:11 AM
If TFC were to hire Donadoni, Quieroz insert big name coach here Dasovic is going no where. Hans Backe admitted in an interview that Williams (last years coach) was very valuable in helping adapt to the league.

So IMO I can see our new coach keeping Danny and Dasovic to help with the squad and help with the understanding of the MLS and the sytle of play here. This is good for TFC and good for both Danny and Nick as they both can be groomed for potentially head coaching positions in a few years.

Exactly.
From Anselmi's comments at the town halls, Daso's post season interviews as well as recent press reports, it's clear TFC's end game is to have Daso, Jimmy and Earl in charge at some point in the near-ish future. Having a big name coach here for a year or two would entice Daso to stay and learn, while Earl and Jimmy can do the same under a quality GM or even Klinsmann as a paid advisor/mentor.

Hitcho
11-02-2010, 12:24 PM
None of these guys. If I could get anyone (barring financial restraints, so I'm counting out Guus Hiddink and the like), probably Matthias Sammer as he's a proven entity, his contract with the German Federation expires in less than a year, he would work well with a plan directed by Klinsmann.

Second, I'd probably go with Alan Curbishley. Don't go by his bustup with West Ham, which was with a very shaky Icelandic ownership group that hopped it shortly thereafter. Very good at working with low budgets and always gets more out of teams than expected.

Third, I'd look for someone who has shown consistent talent at a lower level than a premiership entity, someone with structural detail in their systems and lineups, who fosters youth talent.

Fourth, I'd go for an existing MLS boss who might be persuaded to move. There are a couple of possible.

If you're going to hire top football minds to rebuild things, you want a world-class guy, if possible, to be your gaffer. Past that, you want the best of whomever is young and hungry. Past that, you want someone with a track record in this league.

Maybe Klinsmann could convince Sammer to be GM and head coach, LOL.

Sammer is interesting, but not sure he'd go for it, even with JK in the loop.

Curbishley, meh. He did well at Charlton but it took him a long time to get the respectability he ended up with and since he left, he's been poor or not in demand. He may do well here, btu he'd be too big of a gamble for me.

I'd take Steve Coppell. I really don;t think he'd be interested, not sure he would see the challenge and really not sure he'd want to move this side of the pond, but he'd be my top English pick if we could choose anyone.

J .
11-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Anyone else concerned that the new GM and coach have to retain Dasovic, Dichio and Brennan? Dasovic didnt help with the Preki regime, and despite what the first scorer and captain did for TFC, shouldnt they be kept on if merited? Not because the owners want them around?

I'm already seeing a problem with the cliques that formed and created problems in the end of July and lead to our demise.

The next coach should be able to come in and clear house. Start new.

rocker
11-02-2010, 02:39 PM
ya i wouldn't tell the new guy he has to keep Daso, Dichio, and Jimmy B. The new guy has to be comfortable and I know I'd hate to have "spies" in the dressing room, so to speak -- people who are not necessarily dedicated to me, people who are "protected" at all costs.

I'm sure these guys could work with the academy otherwise, or in some other capacity. I bet if Daso is dumped he'd turn up with the Whitecaps shortly after.

Roogsy
11-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Considering the power they are giving Klinsmann, I'd say he won't be afraid to change things up if he felt it was needed. Why are we worrying about whether Danny is kept on? Do we think he is part of the problem as to why this team did badly? If not...why worry?

Section 117
11-02-2010, 02:50 PM
I understand wnating to get rid of "cliques" etc... If TFC hires a manger and GM with zero MLS background you will need assistants to help them. Hence Earl and Jimmy (glorified coffee runner) would help the GM with all of teh MLS rules regarding cap space rules etc...

Then Nick and Danny as assistants to the coach to help with the understanding of how teams play and the proper tactics for this league.

TFC IMO must keep some of the ties to it's short history ie. Danny, lesser extent Jimmy (my own opinion).

The coach and gm will probably be able to hire who ever they want, but understand that these guys will be part of the set up. I actually like the idea of keeping most of the guys on staff

just my 2 cents

Roogsy
11-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Someone will one day have to explain to me the benefits of turning over the entire staff as opposed to turning over only what is necessary to implement a plan. When a new CEO comes on board, he doesn't change all the VPs, only some.

Wull
11-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Yes, I'm sick of this jobs for the boys horseshit too. If they're kept on merit that's fine but seeing the likes of De Vos cheerleading for Daso and Earl to be kept on because he used to play with them or doesn't think they were part of the club's problems is getting irksome. I wanted no part of preki but to say having Daso there didn't cause issues is factually incorrect regardless of who was to blame for it.

rocker
11-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Someone will one day have to explain to me the benefits of turning over the entire staff as opposed to turning over only what is necessary to implement a plan. When a new CEO comes on board, he doesn't change all the VPs, only some.

But it should be the CEOs choice, in my opinion. If the CEO thinks keeping a guy or two will help him, that's fine.

In this case, whoever comes in should have freedom to dump or keep Daso, Jimmy, Dichio, Earl.

For Anselmi to say to all candidates "look, you can have control, but you gotta keep these guys" seems like leaving the new guy with few options... watering things down.

Now, if the newbie wants them out of his hair, and TFC wants to keep them, they could find other positions (academy, scouting etc.).

Darlofletch
11-02-2010, 03:08 PM
I specifically asked paul about that after one of the townhalls, he said the new guy wouldn't be forced to keep them (same way he said no-one's ever forced to buy marlie tickets) but they would be asked to assess them, and he certainly gave the impression it would be very heavily recommended that he do keep them.

I'd rather we were focussed on winning rather than developing people's careers.

Mark in Ottawa
11-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I guess it depends on if we are starting a new "5 year plan".
I wonder just how determined ML$E are to get a team:
A: Playing well
B: Into the Playoffs
C: Contending for the league Championship

Oldtimer
11-02-2010, 03:12 PM
I guess it depends on if we are starting a new "5 year plan".

It's now a "3 year plan," but now they are hoping that by doing due diligence, they won't get scammed by a smooth-talker again.

Hitcho
11-02-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't mind the concept of keeping some existing guys on to maintain the links, I think there's merit in that. But two GM-type people in Earl and Jimmy and two coaches in Daso and Dichio? That's a lot to be carrying, especially in the GM position. They may have to compromise and only keep one Asst GM person and/or one asst coach if the new GM/coach aren;t happy to keep that many people on.

jloome
11-02-2010, 04:24 PM

Answered your own question, Roogs: "as opposed to turning over only what is necessary to implement the plan."

Corporate culture survives by entrenching and bunkering in, like an orthodox faith. Sometimes you have to clean house to change the culture.

Roogsy
11-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Answered your own question, Roogs: "as opposed to turning over only what is necessary to implement the plan."

Corporate culture survives by entrenching and bunkering in, like an orthodox faith. Sometimes you have to clean house to change the culture.

For sure, that's why you should turn over what is "necessary". The janitor shouldn't have to pay because the former President of a company was a complete moron right? So where does the axe stop falling? Senior executives? Junior executives? Middle management? At some point it stops because at the end of the day, the company has to continue operating as an ongoing concern and it takes time and money to find replacements for each and every position that is vacated.

Much the same on the team. You wouldn't have to replace Malcolm the kit guy to make a case for a better team right? Or the trainers? A new coach doesn't have 10 guys on staff that have been waiting for the green light to relocate to Toronto, he has to build it over time although he may have 1 or 2 guys that he'd like to bring in himself. But the truth is that to turn over more than that is probably excessive and disruptive to the ongoing concern that is a football club.

v00d00daddy
11-02-2010, 05:19 PM
So where does the axe stop falling? Senior executives? Junior executives? Middle management? At some point it stops because at the end of the day, the company has to continue operating as an ongoing concern and it takes time and money to find replacements for each and every position that is vacated.

Much the same on the team. You wouldn't have to replace Malcolm the kit guy to make a case for a better team right? Or the trainers? A new coach doesn't have 10 guys on staff that have been waiting for the green light to relocate to Toronto, he has to build it over time although he may have 1 or 2 guys that he'd like to bring in himself. But the truth is that to turn over more than that is probably excessive and disruptive to the ongoing concern that is a football club.

For me the axe would stop after everybody who's had an influence on the on field product is gone. There is a culture of failure at TFC and its been combined with a feeling of familiarity. I get the impression that guys are comfortable. The players have sounding boards and a support network surrounding them at this club. When a team is doing well I would say that that's a good thing. Unfortunately...I think it's a bad thing in this case because it stifles accountability.

When the players are playing poorly I don't want them to be able to go to one of their buddies or confidantes on the coaching staff. They need to be forced to look at themselves and improve..or get out. Most of all they need to be forced to listen to their coach. That's a harder thing to accomplish when they have familiar guys around that they're close to. The minute they have a problem they have a built in buddy to whine to.

All the on field football related people of the past have to go. IF that's what the new guy wants)

ag futbol
11-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Yes, I'm sick of this jobs for the boys horseshit too. If they're kept on merit that's fine but seeing the likes of De Vos cheerleading for Daso and Earl to be kept on because he used to play with them or doesn't think they were part of the club's problems is getting irksome. I wanted no part of preki but to say having Daso there didn't cause issues is factually incorrect regardless of who was to blame for it.
Agreed, we should be very careful about how we proceed from here on in.

Although, if Daso effectively called out Johnston and Preki after four years of this shit, I can hardly blame him. That's a far away from actively working behind someone's back to spite their interests.

At the same time, this thing can only succeed going forward if the new guy has the respect of the staff who are going to be working under him.

ManUtd4ever
11-02-2010, 05:39 PM
For sure, that's why you should turn over what is "necessary". The janitor shouldn't have to pay because the former President of a company was a complete moron right? So where does the axe stop falling? Senior executives? Junior executives? Middle management? At some point it stops because at the end of the day, the company has to continue operating as an ongoing concern and it takes time and money to find replacements for each and every position that is vacated.

I would have to agree. In essence, MLSE has already committed to replacing the braintrust of the organization by hiring Klinsmann to rebuild the front office. Ultimately, the next GM/Coach will have authority on hiring additional assistant coaches, recruiting player personnel, and implementing a style of play condusive to the skillset of the team.

I also believe that Cochrane, Brennan, and Dichio are assets to the organization in a supportive role. However, Dasovic cannot remain on the coaching staff for the long term benefit of the club. If Daso is retained, it should be in an alternate position. Otherwise, the potential exists for a clash of philosophies with the new coach (or any future coaches for that matter) and the player revolt will become an annual ritual...

boban
11-02-2010, 06:56 PM
For me the axe would stop after everybody who's had an influence on the on field product is gone. There is a culture of failure at TFC and its been combined with a feeling of familiarity.
There is a culture of failure at MLSE.
So much spo that it has permiated throughout the media and the city as a whole.
Outside of a few diehards, there is no sense of wanting to win championships in any of the properties.

Strikers
11-02-2010, 06:57 PM
There are some good managers out there with out a job. I personally would be sending truck loads of money to Martin O'Neill.

Also I would give Ronald Koeman some consideration.

Out of the four mentioned I would go with Roberto Donadoni

Beach_Red
11-02-2010, 07:34 PM
There is a culture of failure at MLSE.
So much spo that it has permiated throughout the media and the city as a whole.
Outside of a few diehards, there is no sense of wanting to win championships in any of the properties.

Like any large bureaucracy there will be years, decades, of entrenched attitudes and ways of doing things that are very difficult to change. In this case it's really too bad because they were essentially starting from scratch. But then instead of hiring someone with years of experience and a winning record they hired one inexperienced guy and very little staff, so really the culture of TFC was built by MLSE.

And now they've hired a consulting company (does anyone outside of government do that anymore?) but are requiring that they keep the current people (ultimately loyal to MLSE) in place.

It's interesting that in order to get a hockey GM who'd won a Cup to work for MLSE they had to take themselves out of the equation and make him the president who answers directly to the board.

It would be really interesting to see the terms of the contract with Soccer Solutions. I wonder if Klinsmann is even required to leave California?

It's also a little curious that other than the Galaxy no other MLS team has ever hired Soccer Solutions.

rocker
11-02-2010, 07:43 PM
And now they've hired a consulting company (does anyone outside of government do that anymore?)

consulting in common in just about every industry, not just government.
my girlfriend is an IT consultant ... you should see the tens of millions of dollars companies put into hiring consultants for everything.. and then dumping them unceremoniously for another consulting company's consultants..

Beach_Red
11-02-2010, 08:04 PM
consulting in common in just about every industry, not just government.
my girlfriend is an IT consultant ... you should see the tens of millions of dollars companies put into hiring consultants for everything.. and then dumping them unceremoniously for another consulting company's consultants..

So you're saying it never works..........

DangerRed
11-02-2010, 08:52 PM

Like everything, it doesn't ALWAYS work. But it's very important for a company that is trying to push into a new area of business and doesn't have existing expertise in that area. They bring in consultants, use their expertise instead, get themselves started, and then replace the consultants with permanent staff or another batch of consultants who'll take them to the next level.

Or, say for example, a company that has 1,000 people is trying to fire 100 of them but the HR department is only 15 people strong. They bring in restructuring experts to help them identify the targets and get rid of them.

Just like almost every major corporation hires external legal counsel, they hire consultants for very many areas of their business.

This is no different. I'm glad TFC's consultants come with pretty impeccable resumes and pedigree.

rocker
11-03-2010, 08:02 AM

consultants are not necessarily let go because of competency.... there's another factor: price ;)

The main reason businesses turn to consultants so often now is cost. You don't have to pay them healthcare or RRSPs.. and then when the contract is over, they are gone. Easier to manage future costs this way. Then you send out an RFP and another consulting company comes in at a lower price (trying to steal the contract away from the previous consulting company).

Loblaws did this to my girlfriend's company... they did a fine job but price was high... next consulting company came in for stage 2, at a much lower price.... They were pissed.

Technorgasm
11-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Roogsy for GM!

rocker
11-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Roogsy for GM!

sure... bigger contracts for his clients ;)

Section 117
11-03-2010, 08:54 AM
In respect to the staff on board who will or will not be retained. I for one don't think it really matter if the players have "friends" on the staff. If they aren't preforming then regardless if they don't like the coach or not they have to put up or shut up period or get the fuck out.

With respect to the Preki situation vs Dasovic there was a lot more that went down then what was reported, on both sides. Do I blame preki solely no, but to say that Dasovic is a leader of the clique and players quitting on the coach is absurd. If there is proof please show me.

One a side note why not fire everyone from the ticket takers, to security, to beer staff to FO. Start clean period, even at that point it doesn't change the problems of this squad. They don't have a proper squad: fullbacks, wingers, attacking midfielders. ANd the most important thing SKILL. There is as much skill on my men's league team then there is on TFC.

tfcmanu
11-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Maybe TFC should look at this guy for Coach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesualdo_Ferreira

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/11/02/sp-malaga-coach.html

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Malaga-fires-coach-Jesualdo-Ferreira-786250.php

ensco
11-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Considering the power they are giving Klinsmann, I'd say he won't be afraid to change things up if he felt it was needed.

While it may be in TFC's interest to say Klinsmann has a lot of power, and it may be in Klinsmann's interest to say he has a lot of power.....it does not mean he has a lot of power.

It can be a classic form of corporate BS. Best to wait and see what happens.

J .
11-03-2010, 09:40 AM
With respect to the Preki situation vs Dasovic there was a lot more that went down then what was reported, on both sides. Do I blame preki solely no, but to say that Dasovic is a leader of the clique and players quitting on the coach is absurd. If there is proof please show me.

Preki alluded to it in an interview with either espn or si.com. Also, everyone knows that Dasovic, Brennan, DeRo and JDG all worked together on the NT.

We all know how well our NT has performed in big occasions the past 10 years...

Canadian soccer is in disarray and the last thing the club needs is to import anything from the CSA and NT.

Im not going to google articles for you, but "the truth is out there."

What does need to happen is to ensure any clique type behaviour cannot occur again, we need a team not a collection of individuals.

Section 117
11-03-2010, 10:09 AM
J. IMO you can not absolve Preki from blame just because these guys played on the CMNT.

There were issues from both sides. So to lay the blame squarely on the players and one coach over Preki is quite absurd. If I remeber correctly Chivas players and fans were quite happy he was let go. We want a team, but maybe the problem is the actual players. Problem is that the players who "supposedly" lead the revolt is our best player who BTW Preki didn't want.

So to build a team do you suggest we get rid of the players who lead the revolt? If yes who repalces the goals we would loose? If I were in charge i would sit down first with the group and then individually and tell them this is how it is if you don't like leave.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-03-2010, 10:10 AM
http://www.mls-rumors.net/11697/2010/11/incoming-sonny-silooy-head-coach-in-mls/

Possible coach?
Anyone know anything about this guy?

TFC/Everton
11-03-2010, 10:12 AM
http://www.mls-rumors.net/11697/2010/11/incoming-sonny-silooy-head-coach-in-mls/

Possible coach?
Anyone know anything about this guy?

Never going to happen.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Why not?
i dont anything about this guy (good or bad)

Ossington Mental Youth
11-03-2010, 10:27 AM
im looking at Backe's record and to be honest Queiroz' looks the same if not slightly better...

Donadoni not so much, nor Baresi nor Dowie.

Im pretty excited to see who Herr Klinnsman suggests

jloome
11-04-2010, 12:51 AM

Didn't say it was the case here dude, just stating the oft-used rationale.

I'm absolutely in no position to say with this team how much change there should be. Not enough info.

Jeff s
11-04-2010, 01:43 AM

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Malaga-fires-coach-Jesualdo-Ferreira-786250.php
PLEASE NO.

AS a Porto fan don't let the Porto success fool you.

This guy isn't a stranger to failure.

He succeed at Porto simply because of the players. Thats its. When it came down to big games, he had absolutely no balls. Would play 5 defenders against any reasonable team. He failed in his last season with Porto because teams just figured him out.

He ruined Porto's undefeated home streak against English teams, Made Porto miss the CL for the first time in years, etc. He failed in Portuguese cups a lot as well. A lot of Porto fans were happy when he left, theres a reason for it.

Malaga did something I wish Porto did years ago.

sidney
11-04-2010, 01:02 PM
MLSE's TFC (as currently run by MLSE) would be lucky to get drunk-buddy-down-the-street to coach.

Jeffro
11-04-2010, 01:14 PM
MLSE's TFC (as currently run by MLSE) would be lucky to get drunk-buddy-down-the-street to coach.

God I'm sick of these type of moronic statements. Why are you here?

fetajr
11-04-2010, 01:28 PM
sadly for Chile, Marcelo Bielsa is now available.

it'll never happen, but if there is anyone out there that MLSE should break the bank for, it should be for EL LOCO

http://football.uk.reuters.com/uploads/2010/06/28/fs_2010-06-28T202549Z_01_WCD542_RTRIDSP_2_SOCCER-WORLD.jpg

http://football.uk.reuters.com/leagues/world/news/2010/11/04/LDE6A3241.php

billyfly
11-04-2010, 01:45 PM

Didn't know he was just fired.

Jack
11-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Sydney, the difference between attacking the words and attacking the person is the difference between participating on the message board and not participating.

ag futbol
11-04-2010, 08:39 PM
sadly for Chile, Marcelo Bielsa is now available.

it'll never happen, but if there is anyone out there that MLSE should break the bank for, it should be for EL LOCO

I'd be 110% down with this, but yeah, seems pretty unrealistic.

colman1860
11-05-2010, 02:33 AM
DAMN I'd love to get Bielsa. I don't think it's entirely out of the question...there have been more unlikely names bandied about

tfcmanu
11-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Iain Dowie targeted by MLS side Toronto FC to work alongside Jurgen Klinsmann

Iain Dowie, the former Coventry City, Queens Park Rangers and Hull City boss, has emerged as a contender for the vacant manager's job at MLS side, Toronto FC.

The Canadian club are on something of a recruitment drive after yesterday announcing the arrival of German football legend Jurgen Klinsmann in a consultancy role.

Toronto only joined the MLS in 2007, and finished fifth in the Eastern Conference in 2010.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/11/04/article-0-08C0FBD0000005DC-836_468x286.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1326721/MLS-Toronto-FC-want-Iain-Dowie-work-alongside-Jurgen-Klinsmann.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz14PjyvgcI

Ossington Mental Youth
11-05-2010, 08:29 AM
noooooo thanks

tfcmanu
11-05-2010, 08:30 AM
noooooo thanks

I agree!

denime
11-05-2010, 08:38 AM
noooooo thanks

My name is Denime and I approve this post!! :D

Auzzy
11-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Iain Dowie targeted by MLS side Toronto FC to work alongside Jurgen Klinsmann

Iain Dowie, the former Coventry City, Queens Park Rangers and Hull City boss, has emerged as a contender for the vacant manager's job at MLS side, Toronto FC.

The Canadian club are on something of a recruitment drive after yesterday announcing the arrival of German football legend Jurgen Klinsmann in a consultancy role.

Toronto only joined the MLS in 2007, and finished fifth in the Eastern Conference in 2010.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1326721/MLS-Toronto-FC-want-Iain-Dowie-work-alongside-Jurgen-Klinsmann.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz14PjyvgcI

Since there's no extra info provided, I'm assuming they may just have recycled the Sportsnet article from a few days ago.

billyfly
11-05-2010, 09:15 AM
The main question is if Klinnsman advises to switch to a European style manager/coach model from the current NA model of GM and coach being separate job responsibilities.

The new coach will come from that decision.

DangerRed
11-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Not Dowie. Do-na-do-ni.

Please.

Thank you.

Bars92
11-05-2010, 11:15 PM
The Dowie's yer mawn.

DoubleUp
11-06-2010, 12:44 AM
I dont think this guy should get the job, but I have a feeling he will.:nonod:

ensco
11-06-2010, 08:19 AM
That article means nothing.

A story about a manager, in a local tabloid, talking about him getting a job thousands of miles away, is worthless.

It's most likely his agent stirring the pot.

Cashcleaner
11-06-2010, 08:37 AM
That article means nothing.

A story about a manager, in a local tabloid, talking about him getting a job thousands of miles away, is worthless.

It's most likely his agent stirring the pot.

Or perhaps, going back our club's track record, THE PITIFUL TRUTH.

ensco
11-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Or perhaps, going back our club's track record, THE PITIFUL TRUTH.

There's truth to that too. Who knows? I'm just saying it's not reliable info.

jloome
11-07-2010, 11:19 AM
The British football media is notorious for making crap up, or spinning any rumour into `sources say`.

We`ve apparently had 46 different managers show interest already.

rocker
11-07-2010, 11:20 AM
The British football media is notorious for making crap up, or spinning any rumour into `sources say`.

So Gareth Wheeler learned from the British...!!!

menefreghista
11-07-2010, 05:14 PM

Tom Anselmi actually said that on the radio.

Detroit_TFC
11-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Well, we've got an ownership that basically said they don't know the sport very well but are willing to throw some money at improving the team. There's a lot of managers who would find that an ideal landing place. ;)

Chevy
11-07-2010, 06:51 PM

LOL, that's only slightly above the number that have ACTUALLY managed the club!

CoachGT
11-08-2010, 08:31 AM
the writers of Beckham have been proven wrong...Hans Backe

Not yet they haven't.

Derko
11-08-2010, 11:59 AM
As long as the new Manager/Coach can produce a winning team and a winning attitude, do you really care what the name or nationality is? Just a very simple and direct question.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-08-2010, 12:21 PM
i wonder if a) Carbajal is one of the 46 and b) if hes of any consideration

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-08-2010, 09:27 PM
^ I emailed Klismann about him to no avail.

Hitcho
11-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Daily Mail is not reliable at all when it comes to football rumours, they tend to just publish any bit of nonsense that gets spilled to them without thinking about it or checking it out first, and they are often a bit behind the more serious English sports pages (in the BBC gossip column the mail is always a day or three behind everyone else).

So hopefully the Dowie thing is crap, because frankly I'd rather have Preki back (and I'd rather shoot off my own foot before I see that happen).

Cashcleaner
11-09-2010, 06:42 AM
As long as the new Manager/Coach can produce a winning team and a winning attitude, do you really care what the name or nationality is? Just a very simple and direct question.

He could be a vampire alien that feeds on the blood of children!

As long as he can put together a contending squad and give us some entertaining football, I don't care where he's from. I do think it would be kinda cool to eventually have a Canadian manager in charge, but it's not a deal-breaker in my mind.

Ron Manager
11-09-2010, 08:18 AM
He could be a vampire alien that feeds on the blood of children!

As long as he can put together a contending squad and give us some entertaining football, I don't care where he's from. I do think it would be kinda cool to eventually have a Canadian manager in charge, but it's not a deal-breaker in my mind.

That would be cool, but I don't think we have any Canadians with the knowledge or experience yet. I think Daso is fairly well regarded among Canadian coaches but he's not yet ready to fully take the helm.

Like every other aspect of Canadian soccer (with the obvious exception of the Women's Nats - way to go ladies!) our managers still ahve some growing to do.

rocker
11-09-2010, 11:25 AM
I guess "name" doesn't matter.. but resume does.
If it's a guy I haven't heard of, but who's succeeded in relatively big leagues elsewhere, then sign him.
But I'm not for giving some lower-league coach a "chance."
We need someone who has had proven success in a relatively good league.

Big Bruva
11-15-2010, 12:07 AM
I like to see something different than British style so Dowie is a no for me.

The latest style TFC had was not British as Preki had his style in place which seemed more defensive.

Dowie would have to leave his pundit job in the UK but i think Donadoni would be the best appointment.

Ryan1984
11-16-2010, 08:42 AM
http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2010/11/16/2216677/official-roberto-donadoni-takes-cagliari-reigns

You can Scratch Donadoni from the list

koryo
11-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Haven't read all the way through, but I assume someone has already suggested that MLSE, having learned their "lesson", will just end up hiring Graeme Souness.

DangerRed
11-16-2010, 10:29 AM
http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2010/11/16/2216677/official-roberto-donadoni-takes-cagliari-reigns

You can Scratch Donadoni from the list

Well that fucking sucks.

Detroit_TFC
11-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Disappointing.

maninb
11-16-2010, 11:24 AM
ANYBODY but Dowie.....All's he knows is kick and chase.....NO FUCKING THANKS!!!