PDA

View Full Version : CONMEBOL prez invites MLS to Libertadores

Canary Canuck
10-30-2010, 09:36 AM
CONMEBOL president says the door is open to MLS teams joining the Copa Libertadores

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/copa-libertadores-could-open-doors-mls

What do you think?

FluSH
10-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Klinsmann and now this!!!!!!

It's like my birthday, father's day, and Christmas combined!!!!!!! Ever since I was a little chavalito I would dream about the Copa Libertadores... this could potentially make me cry right now... someone pass me a tissue lol

Damien
10-30-2010, 09:41 AM
It would be cool to host big teams from Colombia, Argentina and Brasil...

...but damn, we are gonna need some serious depth if we are involved in CONCACAF Champs League, SuperLiga, Copa Libertadores, Nutrilite Canadian Champs, MLS Regular Season, etc.

ArmenJBX
10-30-2010, 09:45 AM
fuck the CONCACAF Champions League then!

Copa Libertadores is where it's at! :D

To be honest, we're not gunna win either anyways, but I'd rather play host to Sao Paolo, Santos, River Plate, etc. as opposed to....Arabe Unido...

FluSH
10-30-2010, 09:49 AM
ugh do not remind me of Arabe Unido... a pile of shit is worth more than that team.... the embarresment to futbol. Concacaf needs to be torn to pieces then rebuilt again... I'm dead serious.

gtaguy
10-30-2010, 09:55 AM
La libertadores is the crown jewel of latin america.. I hope the MLS accepts this opportunity..

Shakes McQueen
10-30-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm absolutely in favour of it.

- Scott

Strikers
10-30-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm all for it. SO MLS should get rid of the Superliga and have teams compete in the CONCACAF Champions League and the Copa Libertadores.

werewolf
10-30-2010, 10:39 AM
This would be a good replacement for that Superliga. And Mexican teams are already competing in it.

billyfly
10-30-2010, 10:42 AM
This is big news.

ArmenJBX
10-30-2010, 10:44 AM
To be fair to CONMEBOL, they have ALWAYS been open to the USA competing in their competitions.

USA competes in the Copa America when they are invited, for example.

It's incredible news, a dream of mine like others, and I'm so happy that this gesture was extended.

The question now remains... Does this include Toronto FC? or just American teams? :D

SQUIRREL
10-30-2010, 10:46 AM
wow this is huge. Copa Libertadores and Klinsmann great news. hope it ALL works out.

gmacpheetfc
10-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Christmas has come early.

troy1982
10-30-2010, 11:50 AM
F.Y.I.
for those that don't know, the Libertadores 1st stage takes place in Janurary, the group stage in the beginning in early February and ends in mid April.

Oldtimer
10-30-2010, 11:55 AM
F.Y.I.
for those that don't know, the Libertadores 1st stage takes place in Janurary, the group stage in the beginning in early February and ends in mid April.

That's good. Some overlap with the CCL, but none with most of the MLS regular season.

CretanBull
10-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Great news...and hopefully this will encourage the MLS to up the salary cap.

Darlofletch
10-30-2010, 12:21 PM
F.Y.I.

so we'd have to start training camp in december/january, the hopefully be playing until well into November? that would be a loooooooong season.

also, january at BMO? brrr.

theoretically though, I like the idea of it.

Redpunkfiddle
10-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Lets take the Mexican participation as the template.

Their Champions and Subchampion (runners up) of the Apertura and Clausura go to the CCL. The Libertadores slots are given to the teams with most points in the Aperatura who do not qualify for the CCL. (Until recently teams played a mini tournement in January for two of the slots).

That means its either one or the other for any team. CONCACAF isn't going to accept the MLS champions being diverted away from their competition.

We all know the Libertadores is the more prestigious competition. So do the Mexicans- a lot of their fans are frustrated their championship teams have to play in against the lesser lights. But they have to conform to CONCACAF's priorities in this case.

You'll note that a non COMEBOL team can't go to the World Club championship - it can only be done through your home confederation.

Frankly, I'd like us to get the job done in CCL before wetting our pants about playing South American giants.

rocktml
10-30-2010, 01:02 PM
The travel is going to kill us

KezmanCCCC
10-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Couldnt this in return hurt the Concacaf CL? if Mexican and MLS teams start to focus more in the south american CL it would lower the interest in the CCL and in return hurt it... sort of like a UEFA Cup type of tournament (im not saying the UEFA cup dosnt have intrest or isnt important but it isnt the Champions Leauge).... either way it would be interesting...

Inklink
10-30-2010, 05:06 PM
What's the diving score (out of 10) for teams involved in this competition?

Pachuco
10-30-2010, 05:55 PM
fuck the CONCACAF Champions League then!

Copa Libertadores is where it's at! :D

To be honest, we're not gunna win either anyways, but I'd rather play host to Sao Paolo, Santos, River Plate, etc. as opposed to....Arabe Unido...

I'm 100% with Jimmy on this one. Fuck the Champions League. Let's move on over to Copa.

Pachuco
10-30-2010, 05:56 PM
What's the diving score (out of 10) for teams involved in this competition?

It doesn't get worse then Concacaf.

Toronto Ruffrider
10-30-2010, 06:54 PM

QFT. I would be happy to chuck the CCL in favour of the Copa Libertadores. I'm so sick of the cheating and corruption in our confederation.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-30-2010, 06:57 PM
whats the reffing like?

Heart of Stone
10-30-2010, 08:36 PM
whats the reffing like?

Not in favour of teams from north of the Rio Grande...

ExiledRed
10-30-2010, 09:18 PM
I would prefer to see CONCACAF improved, and the northern/central teams develop their regional prestige before ditching it all to hopelessly compete in competitions we will only ever win once in a century, if ever.

Im all for an elite tournament between concacaf and libertadores winners though, or even better a world club championship, but we have that already.

Hate to be the single naysayer, but thats where im at.

gmacpheetfc
10-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Couldnt this in return hurt the Concacaf CL? if Mexican and MLS teams start to focus more in the south american CL it would lower the interest in the CCL and in return hurt it... sort of like a UEFA Cup type of tournament (im not saying the UEFA cup dosnt have intrest or isnt important but it isnt the Champions Leauge).... either way it would be interesting...

Who the fuck cares

PPL in europe don't even care about the Club World Cup only Uefa CL

With attraction of American TV viewership in late winter to early summer no real sports NHL and NBA don't compare to NFL and NCAA football the opportunity is there to rival UEFA CL for tv money and audience

LETS GO FORZA TO

Roogsy
10-30-2010, 09:41 PM
:smilielol5:

This is insanity.

Any team in MLS would get smoked.

Let's concentrate on getting better here and being able to beat Mexican teams before we decide to go up against even better teams like Santos, Boca or Colo Colo.

BeerBaron95
10-30-2010, 10:37 PM
:smilielol5:

This is insanity.

Any team in MLS would get smoked.

Let's concentrate on getting better here and being able to beat Mexican teams before we decide to go up against even better teams like Santos, Boca or Colo Colo.

You're making all sorts of crazy sense Roogs lol

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-30-2010, 11:04 PM
The only way I see this working is if the MLS gets only one slot for their champion and the other top teams get slotted into the CCL, a little along the lines of what Mexico does. The best MLS team might account itself well, or at least not get embarrassed.

Maybe this is more official than before, but the suggestion of MLS teams to the Copa Libertadores is noting new.

Inklink
10-30-2010, 11:07 PM

Fair enough, thanks.

I wasn't being sarcastic by the way, I'm just not that familiar with the soccer in that region :lol: .

Keystone FC
10-31-2010, 04:28 AM
The only way I see this working is if the MLS gets only one slot for their champion and the other top teams get slotted into the CCL, a little along the lines of what Mexico does. The best MLS team might account itself well, or at least not get embarrassed.

Maybe this is more official than before, but the suggestion of MLS teams to the Copa Libertadores is noting new.

Well hold on a minute. What if TFC went around the MLS and CONCACAF.
What if the NCC would determine which Canadian club went to the Libertadores. The NCC is the only way we get a shot into CONCACAF so why not drop the CONCACAF for Libertadores. Plus, with Vancouver coming into MLS next year and MTL in 2012 it's not like they would be getting a bunch of hacks to kick around. MTL went all the way to the quaterfinals (I think) and TFC held it's own against Mexican clubs so why not.
Just a thought.

twistedchinaman
10-31-2010, 05:28 AM
Let's concentrate on getting better here and being able to beat Mexican teams home AND away on a regular basis before we decide to go up against even better teams like Santos, Boca or Colo Colo.

Fixed.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-31-2010, 09:22 AM
I would prefer to see CONCACAF improved, and the northern/central teams develop their regional prestige before ditching it all to hopelessly compete in competitions we will only ever win once in a century, if ever.

Im all for an elite tournament between concacaf and libertadores winners though, or even better a world club championship, but we have that already.

Hate to be the single naysayer, but thats where im at.

dont necessarily agree with alot you say but we definitely agree on this.
we arent in conmebol, so we shouldnt participate

James17930
10-31-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm absolutely, 100% against this idea. What's the point of having two separate confederations if all the clubs (not to mention even national sides) are just going to jump into each others' tournaments? How many of you would be in favour of African or Asian clubs playing the UEFA CL? Probably none . . . so why does this make sense?

As Exiled says, we need to focus on improving CONCACAF, improving our region, instead of pissing on it when it's down. The biggest problem with CONCACAF right now is Jack Warner -- if we can actually get more people to care about CONCACAF by bringing more attention to it via things like the CCL, then maybe, finally, enough light will be shed on Warner's activities that he'll somehow get deposed. But aside from that, clubs should be kept in their own confederation, nuff said. I would even stop the Mexican clubs already competing in CONMEBOL -- I think FIFA should step in and forbid it (and I've been saying that for years).

Not to mention the insane amount of travel already brought up.

kodiakTFC
10-31-2010, 12:38 PM
If they drop Superliga and have the teams filtered to Libertadores I would allow for it.

nfitz
10-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Good, grief ... there would be less travel involved for Toronto if we placed in the UEFA Champions League!

sweetlemon69
10-31-2010, 01:34 PM
It would be cool to host big teams from Colombia, Argentina and Brasil...

...but damn, we are gonna need some serious depth if we are involved in CONCACAF Champs League, SuperLiga, Copa Libertadores, Nutrilite Canadian Champs, MLS Regular Season, etc.

this

ParadymeTFC
10-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Good, grief ... there would be less travel involved for Toronto if we placed in the UEFA Champions League!

No shit, if we are going to travel that far might as well go for glory.

algieb
11-01-2010, 07:15 PM
guys think off toronto in january toronto in february toronto early april, snow minus 8to 28 just not feasable for fans, grass, stadium safety laws, travel, you can have the best teams in world throw in thes factors it will be a failure support wise, fans cant make midweek games in summer on time think off the winter, with sqaud sizes we have injurys in the close season whould kill us for start off mls season, no brainer as far as i can see

TOBOR !
11-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Agreed. Garber will never go for it anyway. Maybe from this idea a new trans-conthnental SuperLiga will be born.

hrvat87
11-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Gentlemen,we cant even make the MLS playoffs.ah nevermind playing against BOCA JUNIORS,RIVER PLATE.....and all those bigger name clubs...come on realstically speaking

TOBOR !
11-01-2010, 08:17 PM
This isn't about TFC, it's about MLS.

Yohan
11-02-2010, 02:32 AM
a tourney that starts in Jan vs some of the best teams in South America. well, I suppose you get a lot out of pre season training this way

Fort York Redcoat
11-02-2010, 07:31 AM
dont necessarily agree with alot you say but we definitely agree on this.
we arent in conmebol, so we shouldnt participate

I'm absolutely, 100% against this idea. What's the point of having two separate confederations if all the clubs (not to mention even national sides) are just going to jump into each others' tournaments? How many of you would be in favour of African or Asian clubs playing the UEFA CL? Probably none . . . so why does this make sense?

As Exiled says, we need to focus on improving CONCACAF, improving our region, instead of pissing on it when it's down. The biggest problem with CONCACAF right now is Jack Warner -- if we can actually get more people to care about CONCACAF by bringing more attention to it via things like the CCL, then maybe, finally, enough light will be shed on Warner's activities that he'll somehow get deposed. But aside from that, clubs should be kept in their own confederation, nuff said. I would even stop the Mexican clubs already competing in CONMEBOL -- I think FIFA should step in and forbid it (and I've been saying that for years).

In total agreement.

And before all you Latino football lovers go crazy just remember this would mean you would be enjoying SA futbol at the expense of TFC.

That's right, if TFC made it to this tournament it would only be a friendly for them that would wear them out for their real opportunity to go forward in the world club championship, the CCL. Like all the Mexican teams that have been invited for $$$ but not club championship spots.

Am I insulting the quality of play in the tournament? No. Do I think it would be folly to compete in an additional friendly tournament that means nothing to us? Absolutely.

Oh and fuck Superliga.