PDA

View Full Version : Is History Any Indication?

ArmenJBX
10-28-2010, 06:29 PM
http://www.rednationonline.ca/Is_history_any_indication_october_27_10_news.shtml

I wrote recently about Toronto FC's final games of the season, and how they've done a perfect job of representing exactly what the squad had achieved (or didn't achieve) in the season itself.

I thought it would spark some open discussion, in the form of this:

Does Toronto FC's final game of the season summarize their season-long form, or are they one-off games that say little about the overall quality of the squad?

It seems that the magic of Danny Dichio in season 1 wrapped up a season worth more in it's sentimental value than it's actual playing quality. This was followed up by a 2-0 loss to San Jose in year 2, which was a simple indication of inconsisteny, after beating a strong Chicago Fire side 3-2 just a week ago.

Year 3 ended in terror as Toronto FC were eliminated from a playoff berth by New York by a score of 5-0. Now, this season, we end off by beating DC United 3-2, barely beating the bottom of the barrel, and looking to the future.

What say you? Do the final games of each season represent the squad itself? Have at it!

jloome
10-28-2010, 07:32 PM
http://www.rednationonline.ca/Is_history_any_indication_october_27_10_news.shtml

I wrote recently about Toronto FC's final games of the season, and how they've done a perfect job of representing exactly what the squad had achieved (or didn't achieve) in the season itself.

I thought it would spark some open discussion, in the form of this:

Does Toronto FC's final game of the season summarize their season-long form, or are they one-off games that say little about the overall quality of the squad?

It seems that the magic of Danny Dichio in season 1 wrapped up a season worth more in it's sentimental value than it's actual playing quality. This was followed up by a 2-0 loss to San Jose in year 2, which was a simple indication of inconsisteny, after beating a strong Chicago Fire side 3-2 just a week ago.

Year 3 ended in terror as Toronto FC were eliminated from a playoff berth by New York by a score of 5-0. Now, this season, we end off by beating DC United 3-2, barely beating the bottom of the barrel, and looking to the future.

What say you? Do the final games of each season represent the squad itself? Have at it!

Seems a thin premise, but for the sake of having five minutes at work.....

We were lucky to barely beat the worst team in the league. DeRo looked both exceptional and crap, mostly the former. JDG looked OK and Crap, mostly the latter. The centre halfs looked good.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up, I guess.

TOBOR !
10-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Meh.

koryo
10-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Specious reasoning at best Jimmy. Please tell me how one game can be extrapolated to explain an entire season.

TFC - featuring many players who knew they were playing for a contract - beat the worst team in the league by a single goal. That result was one of circumstance more than anything.

Oldtimer
10-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Meh.

double meh.

CretanBull
10-29-2010, 10:48 PM
In our last game of the season we won on the road...I wish that summerized our season long form.

LesH
10-30-2010, 03:05 AM
double meh.

Make it that a triple one! :rolleyes:

Shakes McQueen
10-30-2010, 06:27 AM
If that game summarized our season, we would have squeaked into the playoffs, like we squeaked out a win. If it summarized our season, we would have had a half-decent road record. If it summarized our season, we would have averaged more than a goal per game.

Your premise is wafer thin.

I wasn't enthused by that game at all. Some guys managed to eke out a slim road win against the worst team in the league, in a meaningless game for both sides. It's going to take more than that to generate any optimism from me, that this group will show up to play when the games matter.

- Scott

spot-on
10-30-2010, 02:38 PM
The sciences are not for you, Jimmy.

Darlofletch
10-30-2010, 04:01 PM
so what you're saying is, if we wait until the end of next year and just watch the last game, then we'll know if we had a good year or not?

excellent, that's going to free up a lot of time for all of us next year.

ochos
10-30-2010, 04:16 PM
double complete meh all the way....

CoachGT
10-30-2010, 04:50 PM
The season end only showed that we are slightly better than the worst team in the league and gives an indication as to how far this team has to go to just become mediocre.

ArmenJBX
10-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Alright, perhaps I was the only one who saw the symbolism in our final games.

Your meh's are appreciated :D This, I shall take, as a learning experience.

ExiledRed
10-30-2010, 06:49 PM
When you smoke lots of pot, you think of the most profound shit, you feel compelled to write it all down, because its so fucking deep.

Sometimes you should wait till youre straight before you publish it however.

Brooker
10-30-2010, 09:56 PM
i like soup

ArmenJBX
10-30-2010, 09:58 PM
what kind?

Hitcho
10-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Jimmy, stop trying so hard. Everyone here knows who you are. Just run with the pack for a while, you don't need to try and be out in front all the time.

so what you're saying is, if we wait until the end of next year and just watch the last game, then we'll know if we had a good year or not?

excellent, that's going to free up a lot of time for all of us next year.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

ArmenJBX
10-30-2010, 10:24 PM
lol what are you talking about?

sigh.. whatever. please lock this thread up.

I'm taking a break. I'll be back in a week or something.

Redpunkfiddle
10-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Jimmy, here is what I am going to do. I am going to block you for 3 or 4 years, and by then I am sure your awesome enthusiasm will be tempered with focus and logic. I will see you then.

spot-on
10-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Jimmy, here is what I am going to do. I am going to block you for 3 or 4 years, and by then I am sure your awesome enthusiasm will be beaten down by pessimism and reality. I will see you then.

FTFY
:D

Oldtimer
10-31-2010, 01:18 PM
lol what are you talking about?

sigh.. whatever. please lock this thread up.

I'm taking a break. I'll be back in a week or something.

locked per the author's request. :D