PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Friday , Jun.27

denime
06-27-2008, 06:03 AM
TFC revved up for New England test

By Ryan Johnston
SPORTSNET.CA

Toronto FC coach John Carver probably knows very little about 'Spygate' or Bill Belichick, but he still does not trust New England.

"Because we are traveling to New England and training at their facility, I don't want to show my hand," Carver said when asked about the two-plus hour training session on Thursday. "I know it is a rule and regulation that you are not allowed to watch the opposition train, but somebody could see what we are doing and I don't want to give too much away.

"We don't do it, of course," Carver added.

But cloak and dagger concerns aside, Carver altered his usual pre-game training routine in an attempt to end TFC's road woes. In five games away from BMO Field this season, the club has registered just three points. Downtime before games has been a concern for Carver, who is more accustomed to the Saturday morning schedules he faced in England.

"On Saturday, because it is a later kick-off, we got one or two things arranged to keep the players active without tiring them out. Keeping their minds active and not being lazy and sloppy and lazing around."

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/06/27/toronto_fc_new_england/)

Ankle sprain could keep Tebily out
Jun 27, 2008 04:30 AM
Toronto FC's Olivier Tebily sat out yesterday's practice with a sore ankle. Tebily sprained his ankle during last Saturday's 0-0 draw against Kansas City and coach John Carver said the team won't decide his status until shortly before tomorrow's road game against New England.
DUNIVANT SIDELINED: Todd Dunivant also missed yesterday's practice and will sit out at least three weeks with a stress fracture in his ankle.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/450095)

Toronto FC teammates face-off

Sutton, Brennan, Guevara and Marshall to play for respective countries

TORONTO -- Qualifying for the World Cup brings professional pride and national glory for players around the world. At Toronto FC, however, the next stage of qualifying brings something perhaps even more precious -- locker room bragging rights. Four TFC players will be matched against each other during the semifinal stage of qualifying in CONCACAF. Canada (Jim Brennan and Greg Sutton), Honduras (Amado Guevara) and Jamaica (Tyrone Marshall) have all been grouped together along with Mexico in CONCACAF Group 2. Each side plays the others in home-and-away ties, and the two teams with the most points advance to the six-team final stage in 2009.
Group play begins in less than two months, but the war of words has already begun.
"We've already started talking," Brennan joked earlier this week. "I'm the first one to start talking, so every day I'll let them know that we have a game against them coming soon. I'm definitely on those guys."
Brennan made particular note of Guevara, who is already an infamous figure to Canadian soccer fans after his performance in the qualifying stages for the 2006 World Cup. Guevara scored on a controversial penalty kick in the 88th minute of a Canada-Honduras match in Edmonton on Sept. 4, 2004 that salvaged a 1-1 draw for Honduras and cost Canada two sorely-needed home points.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080626&content_id=168668&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Pepsi MLS Soccer Jam kicks off All-Star Week

MLS, Toronto FC unveil three days of fan-friendly events

TORONTO and NEW YORK -- Soccer fans worried about withdrawal symptoms after the conclusion of the Euro Championship need not worry the 2008 Pepsi MLS All-Star Game is just a few weeks away. Toronto FC and BMO Field host this year's mid-season matchup between the MLS All-Stars and West Ham United of the English Premier League Thursday, July 24 at 7 p.m. ET. The celebration of the beautiful game in Toronto kicks off with the Pepsi MLS Soccer Jam, a three-day soccer extravaganza. Taking place on the CNE Grounds between BMO Field and the Direct Energy Centre, Pepsi MLS Soccer Jam runs from Tuesday, July 22 to Thursday, July 24 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. each day. Admission is free.
"Soccer Jam will be the biggest celebration of the beautiful game that Toronto has ever seen," said Tom Anselmi, executive vice-president and chief operating officer for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. "We've organized plenty of fun, interactive soccer and music and activities that will appeal to soccer fans of all ages."
Soccer enthusiasts are encouraged to arrive early and participate in the Family Fun Zone and Skills, Drills and Thrills. The Family Fun Zone features 15 interactive soccer activities for families including Penalty Kick Soccer to Human Foosball. There will also be appearances by Nickelodeon characters.
Skills, Drills and Thrills gives participants a chance to work on their game with soccer clinics and tips from Toronto FC Academy coaches. There will also be opportunities to meet and get autographs from Toronto FC and other MLS players at various signing sessions.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080626&content_id=168537&vkey=pr_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Toronto FC head to New England

Reds look to end road struggles with win over Revolution

NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION vs. TORONTO FC
GILLETTE STADIUM, Foxborough, Mass.
June 28, 2008 | 7:30 p.m. ET (TV38; RogersSN)
WEEK # 14 | GAME # 94 After seeing their seven-game unbeaten streak put to an end last weekend, MLS overall leaders New England Revolution return home to take on Toronto FC, which has risen to third in the Eastern Conference while reeling off an unbeaten mark at home but struggling on the road. There could be another prize for the winner: If New England wins, Steve Nicol will lead the MLS All-Stars against West Ham United in the 2008 MLS All-Star Game. If Toronto win, then John Carver will be in the catbird's seat to guide the MLS stars on his home field, though much will depend on what the Columbus Crew also do.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080626&content_id=168439&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)

Carts
06-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Happy Friday everyone...!!! :canada:

Carts....

Eastend
06-27-2008, 07:17 AM

Carts....

2nded....I am out here (work) at noon today.....NOW THAT'S GOOD NEWS!

:party:

JonO
06-27-2008, 07:54 AM
TORONTO and NEW YORK -- Soccer fans worried about withdrawal symptoms after the conclusion of the Euro Championship need not worry the 2008 Pepsi MLS All-Star Game is just a few weeks away.
WTF?? What about regular season games?

Shaughno
06-27-2008, 07:59 AM
It's just not quality football mate. :lol:

Technorgasm
06-27-2008, 08:13 AM
"If Toronto win, then John Carver will be in the catbird's seat to guide the MLS stars on his home field,"

Is that a Fact? HOLY SHIT!

First Marvell Wynne is called out as on of the best defenders in teh league, and now MLS has finally noticed that JC is the FUCKING MAN behind the bench.

TFC = REAL DEAL!

DUnnivant out?
Tebily injured?

Thank god we beefd up our back line. . . please dont tell me we canexpect another 1/2 wounded squad going into the final third of the season. .DONT TELL ME THAT !

Technorgasm
06-27-2008, 08:18 AM

Carts....

Happy friday to YOU Carts!

SEE YOU ON THE BUS!

DOMIN8R
06-27-2008, 09:57 AM
TFC midfielder Robinson is just a family guy

When Toronto FC players arrive in Boston today for their game tomorrow against the New England Revolution, midfielder Carl Robinson almost certainly will have his cellphone to his ear.
He'll be getting an update on the daily activities of his two children -- a girl and a baby boy -- from wife Laura back here. For Robinson, it's much more than a perfunctory "We have arrived safely" call.
The man his teammates call "Robbo" takes being a husband and father just as seriously as he does playing Major League Soccer at BMO Field. "When I am on the pitch, that is all I care about," the Welsh international said yesterday. "But once we're off, it's family time".

More here>http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Football/2008/06/27/6001901-sun.html