PDA

View Full Version : Report: BMO to sponsor Shitecaps

DangerRed
10-27-2010, 12:47 PM
If true, it'll certainly be very weird watching 22 dudes all wearing giant BMO logos on their chests every time TFC plays Van.

From the story linked below: "On Thursday, BMO is set to make another important announcement in that regard. Sources expect that BMO will extend its sponsorship of soccer to Vancouver Whitecaps FC, which will join major league soccer in 2011."

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/881496--cibc-bmo-battle-for-soccer-supremacy

billyfly
10-27-2010, 12:48 PM
LOL...and watch they wont sponsor Montreal.

This has happened in Portugal SuperLiga as well.

Whoop
10-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Bell is the shirt sponsor for the Whitecaps.

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/images/Vancouver-Whitecaps-10-11-adidas-kits-5.jpg

TFC07
10-27-2010, 12:49 PM
If true, it'll certainly be very weird watching 22 dudes all wearing giant BMO logos on their chests every time TFC plays Van.

From the story linked below: "On Thursday, BMO is set to make another important announcement in that regard. Sources expect that BMO will extend its sponsorship of soccer to Vancouver Whitecaps FC, which will join major league soccer in 2011."

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/881496--cibc-bmo-battle-for-soccer-supremacy

Bell is their kit sponsor not BMO unless I am missing something here?

Whoop
10-27-2010, 12:50 PM
I think BMO is just becoming more involved in MLS.

menefreghista
The Whitecaps already have Bell for their shirt sponsor.

This just means BMO will be one of their major sponsors.

flatpicker
I thought Bell was the shirt sponsor.
And BMO would be more of a stadium sponsor.

But I may be remembering incorrectly.

edit... it the time it took me to type the above, others have already beaten me to it.
:)

DangerRed
10-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Bell is the shirt sponsor for the Whitecaps.

I agree, it's very loosely defined in the article in terms of what shape the sponsorship will take. With that said, the next season doesn't start until April. That's half a year. A lot can change, and shirt sponsors have been pulled before. If BCE Inc. is feeling the squeeze and wants to save some money, pulling Bell's name from the Van shirts is a good and easy way.

xj Darrell
10-27-2010, 12:55 PM
BMO has been involved with the whitecaps for years.

deltox
10-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Fulham and aston villa have the same sponsors....right?

menefreghista
10-27-2010, 12:56 PM
A lot can change, and shirt sponsors have been pulled before.

Its doubtful that this is what's happening.

deltox
10-27-2010, 12:58 PM
http://soccerlens.com/shirts/files/2010/08/footballkits2010-111.jpg

DangerRed
10-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Its doubtful that this is what's happening.

I always love when opinion is stated as fact. But yes, it's probably doubtful.

What always baffled me about Bell sponsoring the shirts is that B.C. is the home turf of Telus, while Bell is a heavy hitter in Ontario and Quebec. I guess Saputo cheesed them on that one (terrible pun intended).

Bluenose13
10-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Rangers & Celtic have had the same shirt sponsors for years now.

menefreghista
10-27-2010, 01:00 PM
I always love when opinion is stated as fact. But yes, it's probably doubtful.

Who's stating opinion as fact? I'm pretty sure by using the word doubtful I'm giving you my opinion that I don't think it will happen. Is it really that difficult to understand?

deltox
Bell has been looking to expand into BC and AB for a while now...the olympics was another win for them from marketing perspective

prizby
Fulham and aston villa have the same sponsors....right?

oops that is correct...FxPro

bolton and wigan = 188bet

deltox
10-27-2010, 01:04 PM
right
...didnt see the wigan and bolton.

stugautz
10-27-2010, 01:04 PM
BMO just wants a team to make the MLS playoffs. This is a way of doubling their chances.

billyfly
10-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Bell has been looking to expand into BC and AB for a while now...the olympics was another win for them from marketing perspective

Same with Rogers and naming where the Canucks play to Rogers Arena.

prizby
^ incorrect . see my above image.

those sponsors were last yr

seems like google images likes to only show old jerseys...corrected

DangerRed
Who's stating opinion as fact? I'm pretty sure by using the word doubtful I'm giving you my opinion that I don't think it will happen. Is it really that difficult to understand?

Now, I'm just a dimwit who writes for a living, but stating your opinion would have read: "I doubt that this will happen."

Stating that "It's doubtful that this will happen" implies factuality, in that you're stating that "It is" doubtful.

prizby
10-27-2010, 01:06 PM

olympics was a bush league move by VANOC...their bid was sponsored by Telus

deltox
10-27-2010, 01:07 PM
^ fully agree.

But i work for telus....so im slightly biased.

i did hear that the Bell sponsorship didnt work out to well though....they spent too much money on advertising and didnt get the return they wanted

DangerRed
10-27-2010, 01:08 PM
^Heard the same re: Bell's sponsorship.

menefreghista
10-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Now, I'm just a dimwit who writes for a living, but stating your opinion would have read: "I doubt that this will happen."

Stating that "It's doubtful that this will happen" implies factuality, in that you're stating that "It is" doubtful.

That's pretty sad if you get paid to write and don't understand the word doubtful:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/doubtful?show=0&t=1288202882

If I wanted to give a definitive statement I wouldn't have used that word.

DangerRed
10-27-2010, 01:20 PM
That's pretty sad if you get paid to write and don't understand the word doubtful:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/doubtful?show=0&t=1288202882

If I wanted to give a definitive statement I wouldn't have used that word.

Hahahaha. Then I hope you don't get paid to read for a living, because you completely missed my point.:facepalm:

menefreghista
10-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Hahahaha. Then I hope you don't get paid to read for a living, because you completely missed my point.:facepalm:

OK. If you say so....

Menelaos
10-27-2010, 01:45 PM
I think BMO is just becoming more involved in MLS.

With CIBC getting the rights to the WC in 2014, BMO is trying to keep up in all soccer related things in Canada.

Keystone FC
10-27-2010, 03:25 PM
The Whitecaps already have Bell for their shirt sponsor.

This just means BMO will be one of their major sponsors.
Although BMO has sponsored their youth clubs.
Here's what it looks like:
http://supery.uslsoccer.com/imgs/home/Whitecaps%20U13.jpg

London
10-28-2010, 04:43 AM
it will probably the same set-up as saputo, BMO ads everywhere but Bell as the shirt sponsor

Alixir
10-28-2010, 07:42 AM
They have had a public unvieling of thier kit with Bell as the shirt sponsor...I don't think they would have unvieled the new kit with BELL as the sponsor if the shirt sponsor was not already in place.

mdc 77
10-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Weird is watching every club in Mexico run around with Bimbo on their jersey. :)

BFin
10-28-2010, 11:19 AM

Expand in what area? They already have a pretty solid Market share of the wireless industry out West.

The Olympics was supposed to be their big launch of IPTV, that's why there was such a heavy investment in advertising dollars. However, IPTV has been delayed repeatedly and the marketing portion of the Olympics provided very little return for them.

Rogers bought the rights to all (or a large number) of the Canucks games, via Sportsnet. The point in sponsoring the arena is to begin becoming a home for Canadian hockey. Flames, Sens, Canucks and Habs all have HEAVY airtime on Sportsnet channels this season.

The market share for Rogers out west is the highest in the industry I believe, so I don't know what sponsorship of the Canucks barn is going to do for the Wireless industry. Rogers also will not go into competition against fellow Cable companies...and Shaw has a stranglehold out West. Don't think there is much expansion behind this move.

Gixmo
10-28-2010, 11:26 AM
^Heard the same re: Bell's sponsorship.

Ditto!

Represent Telus Employees...!

DangerRed
10-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Ditto!

Represent Telus Employees...!

LOL - not a Telus employee. Bank.

FluSH
10-28-2010, 11:41 AM
The Outrage!!!!!!

deltox
10-28-2010, 11:51 AM
im pretty sure that telus is the biggest in the west. home phones, pay phones, wireless, tv, internet.

after they took over from BC tel, they kind of owned the area

TFC&SpursGuy
10-28-2010, 01:25 PM
http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature10281001.aspx

BFin
10-28-2010, 02:59 PM
im pretty sure that telus is the biggest in the west. home phones, pay phones, wireless, tv, internet.

after they took over from BC tel, they kind of owned the area

In order to determine market share you have to pull Home Phone, Internet and TV out of it. Also, pay phones are not counted in anyones numbers.

Being that Rogers only operates it's Wireless entity in the West, it is the Wireless market share you must consider. If you added Shaws cable platform to Rogers Wireless platform in BC...Telus wouldn't be close, I don't think.

deltox
10-28-2010, 03:10 PM
thats if your talking about the wireless industry. im not.

presence.

telus has more presence in the west than any other company.

BFin
10-29-2010, 07:50 AM
thats if your talking about the wireless industry. im not.

presence.

telus has more presence in the west than any other company.

You responded to my comment about market share. Forgive me for thinking you were continuing on with the line of discussion.

If you're just referring to overall presence, any of the banks, or Imperial Oil and/or Shell would have a larger presence out West than Telus.

FluSH
10-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Alright... so I know common sponsors is done in Portugal and Scotland... and mainly due to the potential boycotting by rival fans.... but here in Canada??? If BMO does sponsor Vancouver Shitecaps... how can they ever talk about loyalty???

That shit would not be cool in my books...

Macksam
10-31-2010, 10:51 PM
Alright... so I know common sponsors is done in Portugal and Scotland... and mainly due to the potential boycotting by rival fans.... but here in Canada??? If BMO does sponsor Vancouver Shitecaps... how can they ever talk about loyalty???

That shit would not be cool in my books...
Rogers sponsors both the Leafs and Canucks. I meet this with nothing but apathy. Why would anyone care?

Brooker
10-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Do people care about the Canucks or Shitecaps? What provinced are they in anyway? I don't see a prob.

drewski
11-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Rangers & Celtic have had the same shirt sponsors for years now.

and they actually work together on the sponsorship deals