View Full Version : Torsten Frings considering MLS

ACSertL
10-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Specifically New York.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=836289&sec=transfers&cc=5901&cc=5901

Thoughts?

Oldtimer
10-27-2010, 09:02 AM
The reality is, New York will always be more of a draw than Toronto.

That doesn't mean we can't get world class players here. The Bizzard did that in their day.

Menelaos
10-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Scheisse! Can't we get him? If he's willing to go to a team that already has 3 DPs, could that mean he's not looking for DP money?

prizby
10-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Angel won't be resigning with new york, replace him with frings then u got a dp defender, midfielder, and striker

kaos197O
10-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Specifically New York.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=836289&sec=transfers&cc=5901&cc=5901

Thoughts?

Bremen would be crazy not to keep him but that would suck balls if he went to New York. I'd love to see him play but not for any other team than us. Interesting.

Menelaos
10-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Angel won't be resigning with new york, replace him with frings then u got a dp defender, midfielder, and striker

Don't you thinkt that would depend on if they win it all or not?

Roogsy
10-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Shoot...it's quite obvious NYRB is trying to unseat LA as the marquee franchise in MLS. If they manage to put a decent team together by adding someone like Frings and compete in the CCL, you could see a team like this go to the Club World Cup and really make news.

ACSertL
10-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Bremen would be crazy not to keep him but that would suck balls if he went to New York. I'd love to see him play but not for any other team than us. Interesting.

If the player wants to leave at the end of his contract then there isn't a whole lot Bremen can do. Werder were crazy for letting Özil go to Real Madrid but if the player wants to leave than so be it.

ACSertL
10-27-2010, 09:17 AM
And the fact remains in spite of being in the twilight of his career, Torsten Frings would still be more than a serviceable footballer.

If this deal does come to fruition then for TFC's sake I hope Frings' career in NY is as good as Matthäus' was :lol:

Oldtimer
10-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Shoot...it's quite obvious NYRB is trying to unseat LA as the marquee franchise in MLS. If they manage to put a decent team together by adding someone like Frings and compete in the CCL, you could see a team like this go to the Club World Cup and really make news.

NYRB vs. the European and South American champs? That would be Don Garber's dream. Think of the $$$$$ and exposure for the league.

JonO
10-27-2010, 09:21 AM
I still don't know how they are they managing to have 3 DPs and still sign good enough players to provide a complete team. I understand that they have allocation money from finishing dead last, but that runs out next year, no? Will be interesting to see how they can squeeze in under the cap...

werewolf
10-27-2010, 09:50 AM
It would be cool if he came to MLS, hopefully not New York though. He was never my favourite Mannschaft player, and I don't think he would fit here. I dont watch the Pnik Cows play that often, but isn't Marquez playing Defensive midfield for them?

p.s. I will never forget this.

u14-IwCOjnA

Though that had more to do with the set-up then anything else ;)

flatpicker
10-27-2010, 09:51 AM
I still don't know how they are they managing to have 3 DPs and still sign good enough players to provide a complete team. I understand that they have allocation money from finishing dead last, but that runs out next year, no? Will be interesting to see how they can squeeze in under the cap...

Garber will find a way to make it happen.

boban
10-27-2010, 11:06 AM

That doesn't mean we can't get world class players here. The Bizzard did that in their day.
So did Metros-Croatia.
There are no excuses for TFC.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2010, 11:12 AM
As a long time Bremen supporter, itd break my heart.
Was denken sie Torsten?!

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2010, 11:14 AM
but isn't Marquez playing Defensive midfield for them?
[/youtube]

Pretty much but he can and does play two ways/box to box, that being said i dont think theres a place for him in their mid unless hes benched or they bench Rafa

Menelaos
10-27-2010, 11:25 AM
^That won't be happening.

prizby
10-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Werewolf...signing Frings would give NYRB the ability to move Marquez to CB

Menelaos
10-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Werewolf...signing Frings would give NYRB the ability to move Marquez to CB

Where he is most effective when playing for Mexico.

werewolf
10-27-2010, 12:32 PM
I know they could, but it would seem silly to have so much money in the defensive part of the formation.

TFC07
10-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Sorry, but I would rather have Del Piero over Frings. Too bad MLSE wouldn't buy a 3rd DP (JDG is under contract for one more year and DeRo will be making DP money next season).

Whoop
10-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Isn't Del Piero 80 years old?

He's been slated to come to the MLS for the last 5 seasons...

He's going to retire in Italy.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Sorry, but I would rather have Del Piero over Frings. Too bad MLSE wouldn't buy a 3rd DP (JDG is under contract for one more year and DeRo will be making DP money next season).

Why wont MLSE buy a 3rd DP?
If anything they will be, it just wont be Frings as we have a dearth of players in that position (sadly none of them Frings)

TFC07
10-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Isn't Del Piero 80 years old?

He's been slated to come to the MLS for the last 5 seasons...

He's going to retire in Italy.

Del Piero is couple years older than Frings, plus TFC needs star power and offensive minded players.

Del Piero is a free agent in the summer.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6169300,00.html

TFC07
10-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Why wont MLSE buy a 3rd DP?
If anything they will be, it just wont be Frings as we have a dearth of players in that position (sadly none of them Frings)

Based on what?

How much does 3rd DP cost to buy btw?

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Based on the fact we just came off a 4th season in whihc we didnt make the playoffs, season tickets are down etc etc (have you been reading the paper?)
you pay 250k to the league and i believe its 150K against the cap (feel free to correct me if im wrong)
Granted i dont think they will hire just anyone which is fine by me

TFC07
10-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Based on the fact we just came off a 4th season in whihc we didnt make the playoffs, season tickets are down etc etc (have you been reading the paper?)
you pay 250k to the league and i believe its 150K against the cap (feel free to correct me if im wrong)
Granted i dont think they will hire just anyone which is fine by me

Yeah I have been reading the paper so far seems like they want to invest in their FO. I guess we have to wait for new GM to know if MLSE wants to spend more money or not.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2010, 01:12 PM
absoutely, what im suggesting is they wouldnt hesitate to pull the trigger should a 3rd DP arrive

Whoop
10-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Can't we get a bargain like Joel Lindpere? Those are the players that end up being the backbone of a MLS squad.

TFC still needs to build a TEAM instead of worrying about getting DP's.

werewolf
10-27-2010, 01:23 PM
I fully support the movement of increasing the number of Estonian players on TFC.

Menelaos
10-27-2010, 01:25 PM

I wouldn't.
"A couple of years" if a lot after 33.

Del Piero is nothing but a name people recognize and memories of what he was once able to do are keeping his name around.

If you are going to try and get offence, Del Piero is not my first choice by any means.

Now Owen would be something that would trully bring a spark to TFC both on the field and off.

Whoop
10-27-2010, 01:32 PM
I fully support the movement of increasing the number of Estonian players on TFC.

Unfortunately TFC hasn't had much luck with the Baltics. LOL

werewolf
10-27-2010, 01:38 PM
We got players from the Latvian league, New York got players from the Norwegian league...

ACSertL
10-27-2010, 01:39 PM

Well it is your lucky day! As per the article and my original post, he only has eyes for New York! TFC isn't even on his radar.

boban
10-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Well it is your lucky day! As per the article and my original post, he only has eyes for New York! TFC isn't even on his radar.
Well then maybe someone should point it out where we are on that radar screen.

Hitcho
10-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Now Owen would be something that would trully bring a spark to TFC both on the field and off.

No thanks. he's old and injured, basically cannot get on the pitch for man utd. he'd be a complete waste of a DP space for us if he cannot play. plus he's a total mercenary and would not have his heart in what he was doing, he'd just be looking for the next pay packet and a better chance to move on to. his career died the day he walked out on liverpool. he did ok at madrid when selected, but since then he's been injured for the most part and out of form in the rare windows he was fit (a few goals for newcastle in the seasons he was there and a couple of carling cup goals for utd aside).

I'd want to see us aim higher than Owen. In seasons past I would have said "we couldn't get him even if we wanted to", but with the recent influx of DPs to this league, the awakening that the FO has just had, the grass pitch we have down and training facilities we have slated and the ambition and professionalism we all hope our new GM and coach will bring, I am firmly in the "get us a fucking good striker for a DP" camp. We now know it can be done. MLSE just have to get out there and make it happen.

The next thing we put pressure on the ownership for should be a shit hot DP striker. Clearly we need to get the GM and coach in place first, and give them a chance to settle in and build a team, but this time next year there should be a clamor for a top DP striker if we don't have one already.

ArmenJBX
10-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Raul would have been amazing. He's the kind of player we need.

Kooper
10-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Is it just me or does Torsten Frings sound like a type of snack food.

Torsten Frings, now available in Ketchup, Cool Ranch and Smoky BBQ flavours.

CretanBull
10-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Frings is tough as nails and wouldn't be bothered by all the hacking and dirty tackling in the MLS. Thierry Henry would LOVE to have Frings on his team, because no one would even think about going after him.

BS1327
10-27-2010, 06:36 PM
After watching Bastian Schweinsteiger's goal against Bremen, I want to see him here.Like that'll happen in the next 10 years...

Derko
10-28-2010, 08:07 PM

The Blizzard

TFC07
10-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Del Piero: I'll either stay at Juve or move abroad

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/snet-837008

So he is planning to play next season as well. So he isn't retiring after this season!

TFC07
10-29-2010, 01:20 PM

Not sure about that.

Alixir
10-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately TFC hasn't had much luck...
fixed

KezmanCCCC
10-30-2010, 02:19 PM
maybe klinsmann can lure Frings to TFC :P

hrvat87
10-31-2010, 06:00 PM
wouldnt be surprised if JK brings frings to TFC

Ossington Mental Youth
10-31-2010, 08:18 PM
I would be as hes not likely to be our GM or Coach

ArmenJBX
10-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Klinsmann brought in a few players during his time with LA, Herzog and Ngwenya being two of them. I wouldn't be surprised if he made a few signings himself for us.

He also got Tottenham to build LA a roof basically. If we want a roof at BMO, now's the time to convince him.

TFCtoMUFC
10-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Is it just me or does Torsten Frings sound like a type of snack food.

Torsten Frings, now available in Ketchup, Cool Ranch and Smoky BBQ flavours.

If we sign him, our home opener needs to be "Toast and Frings snack night".

hrvat87
10-31-2010, 10:28 PM
I would be as hes not likely to be our GM or Coach

I meant that I wouldnt be surprised if JK brings Frings in as a player.not GM or COACH

Whoop
10-31-2010, 10:30 PM
OMY meant he would be surprised if JK brought in Frings because JK isn't coming in as coach or GM.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-01-2010, 06:30 AM
oh yeah, im saying that i dont see Klinnsman bringing in Frings as JK will not be our coach or GM therefore will not have the power to bring him in