PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Phillips for DP!

jloome
06-27-2008, 01:45 AM
Oh relax, if it were news it would be in the news section.

I'm just saying, if ever someone deserved to be a TFC focus it's KP. The guy's a phenomenal goalscorer who led West Brom to promotion last year with 22 goals and yet they won't give him a two-plus guaranteed deal because he's 34. So he's looking at moving:

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8731_3653985,00.html

Perfect DP striker. If Leeds is thinking it could happen (and let's face it, Hasselbaink, Cole, Fowler and Yorke are all older strikers who've willingly taken a step down in class) then certainly he'd take a nice, fat DP deal. And voila, end of goalscoring problems.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-27-2008, 01:57 AM
I think he’d be a great signing, but anyone who scores 22 goals in the Championship won’t be coming to the MLS unless they’ve got the heart set on it. I don’t think Phillips has expressed an interest in moving to the MLS, so I’d be shocked if he moves to TFC.

It’s tricky business trying to find strikers for TFC for fun on the Interent. Hard to find players who’d you’d expect come to the MLS and still provide the team with some quality. Just for fun, my current striker watch list is as follows (all non-DP):

Kevin Bobson
Iwan Redan
Enoch Showunmi
Jabo Ibehre
Efe Echanomi
Darren Byfield

ensco
06-27-2008, 06:55 AM
I'm keeping an eye on this one guy that I think could be a striker, but I don't want to tell anyone who he is

Ossington Mental Youth
06-27-2008, 07:35 AM
I'm keeping an eye on this one guy that I think could be a striker, but I don't want to tell anyone who he is
Cmon!!
give us a hint!!

yellowfellow
06-27-2008, 08:41 AM
I dont mean to be negative about this. But, I don't think TFC will sign a DP this year. They are not making a lot of money (it's MLSE after all) and they have been filling the seats. They don't need to spend lots of money to excite the fans. We are going to make the playoffs. So, from an owner's point of view, why does MLSE need to spend that much more on a DP?

Unless we get a major corporate sponsor, I don't see it happening...

jloome
06-27-2008, 11:02 AM
"heart set on it" often has a lot to do with money. I don't think anyone would, if he were still at Villa, peg Juan Pablo Angel as coming over, either. You have to remember that when Phillips went down at villa injured, Angel was one of the guys who kept him out of the lineup.

I suppose it is telling that he hasn't mentioned the possibility -- which is probably because of w.brom going up -- but given that DP money might be more than he makes now,at the very least it wouldbe an Angel-like career-end adventure.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-27-2008, 11:46 AM
I dont mean to be negative about this. But, I don't think TFC will sign a DP this year. They are not making a lot of money (it's MLSE after all) and they have been filling the seats. They don't need to spend lots of money to excite the fans. We are going to make the playoffs. So, from an owner's point of view, why does MLSE need to spend that much more on a DP?

Unless we get a major corporate sponsor, I don't see it happening...

Ech, theres alot of things that MLSE didnt/doesnt have to do and they did it anyways such as get that 60k computer program, hire some top level coaches and start an academy. MLSE does want to win with this even if they do shitty with the leafs. I refuse at this point to believe that MLSE doesnt have the best interest in the team at this point in time, especially as all facts prove otherwise. I think IF a good DP signing arises, we WILL sign them, regardless of how many tickets will sell etc.

TFC OZZ
06-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Honestly, I think this would be an absolutely magnificent summer signing.

yellowfellow
06-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Okay, you are right. MLSE does spend quite a bit on the team. DP is a possibility. I am just stuck on the fact that DP will cost millions and they dont make enough to cover that.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Okay, you are right. MLSE does spend quite a bit on the team. DP is a possibility. I am just stuck on the fact that DP will cost millions and they dont make enough to cover that.

They do, they make a ton and they will make more if they win.

jloome
06-27-2008, 12:24 PM
I think he’d be a great signing, but anyone who scores 22 goals in the Championship won’t be coming to the MLS unless they’ve got the heart set on it. I don’t think Phillips has expressed an interest in moving to the MLS, so I’d be shocked if he moves to TFC.

It’s tricky business trying to find strikers for TFC for fun on the Interent. Hard to find players who’d you’d expect come to the MLS and still provide the team with some quality. Just for fun, my current striker watch list is as follows (all non-DP):

Kevin Bobson
Iwan Redan
Enoch Showunmi
Jabo Ibehre
Efe Echanomi
Darren Byfield

Showunmi? Byfield? Are you just a Bristol fan or what, becuase neither of these guys is going to be a league leading striker anywhere. Byfield had one great season but was a bust last year and every year before that.

These are mostly guys who are free transfers. I'd rather pay $100G plus for a no-name potential "star" from the third world than top-tier wages (even on a free) to guys who aren't going to be much of an improvement on what we've already got.

Realism only has to go so far, here. Hell, there are dozens of natural, predatory goal scorers at lower levels who can be had cheaper. Simeon Jackson, who is Canadian, has a better scoring record than these guys.

Bobson? He's one of the biggest flameout prospects in dutch youth history, touted as a major talent but going nowhere. Or is the idea that maybe we get him at his prime? Again, don't see where you're going with that one.

Redan? Good striker, makes Kevin Harmse look like a serene buddhist monk. Crazy, Crazy, crazy. Ibehre? Also free, good wheels, can't finish.

Echanomi? A one-goal-in-eight-games record at leyton orient does not a TFC striker make

Dude, at least you're looking at realism, but we're a little better than this lot. There are lots of better options.

mclaren
06-27-2008, 04:11 PM
I know KP well and unfortunately I don't see him coming (trust me, I'm trying to convince him).

jloome
06-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I know KP well and unfortunately I don't see him coming (trust me, I'm trying to convince him).

McLaren, float him a number bigger than Angel's. Might help a little, and it's not like MLSE can't afford it.

Plus, let's face it, after the Brummies he'd love playing in front of that crowd.

Oh, and I'll throw a DP suggestion I've never seen before: Nikos Liberoupolis, the greek national team striker. He's a friggin' goal machine but has never played outside the greek league. He's coming towards the end of his career, and he'd light this league up, plus finally get some of the recognition he deserves outside his homeland. I'd be surprised if he didn't go to England or Italy instead though, so it would have to be a big deal.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-27-2008, 06:32 PM
always loved KP! HIs always scored a ton no matter what level of football he has played....Prem...Championship...MLS? of course he would!!