PDA

View Full Version : Paul B Q&A from today

__wowza
10-26-2010, 04:05 PM
care for a smoke? paulie B is blowing plenty of it. nothing new but still thought i'd post.

[Comment From EricEric: ]
Were you at the game when the supporter groups protested? If so, what was your feeling about it and about the opinion that the fans pay through the nose for parking and concessions?

Paul Beirne:
Our prices at the concessions and for tickets are comparable to similar products in this market. From the ticket perspective we've heard loud and clear that while people still see value in their seats, they are unhappy of the pace of growth in price. We addressed that last week with the price freeze. Looking forward to kicking off the opening match of our fifth anniversary - we're picking up the tab for renewing Season seat holders.

If Vancouver is the season opener next year, will MLSE consider subsidizing a plane of fans to head to Vancouver? A strong showing would set a great example for Whitecaps fans and would also be a great way to show the club that the fans are still behind them.

Paul Beirne:
We could probably work with Expedia to come up with a special package for supporters. We can't get into the travel business for legal reasons thought. also ... "there's money in the banana stand." that there was an arrested development reference for those who are scratching their heads.

[Comment From PedroPedro: ]
@Brian is right. However, people have a responsibility to make it to the game on time. It's unacceptable to see the stadium half full at the start of the game.

Paul Beirne:
Pedro is right too. I don't like it when people have to rush out to get the GO train either, but I understand it. On the training ground...we're working with 5 parties to come up with the right partnership. we don't have any land - so that's why we need a partner. Its at a confidential stage in the process now, and we don't expect to be able to announce a deal until February. But its heating up. I went to England and Amsterdam earlier this month to look at some of the best facilities out there. Its an exciting project!

[Comment From Anthony BattagliaAnthony Battaglia: ]
Hey Paul i believe its time TFC finds a real DP for the team and the Fans of this city, WE need a goal scorer. My suggestion is Alex Del Piero lots of rumors of L.A and New YORk signing him next season reporting from goal.com today! He would score for Toronto on and off the field!!! what are your thoughts on a proven DP for TFC?

Paul Beirne:
Del Piero! That would be awesome...but the last thing you guys want is me making player decisions! Maybe one day in the future, but for now I'm sticking to running the business.

rocker
10-26-2010, 11:05 PM
care for a smoke? paulie B is blowing plenty of it. nothing new but still thought i'd post.

what part of that is blowing smoke?

phonzo
10-26-2010, 11:08 PM
you missed the part where he noted SSH renewals are lower 80%

__wowza
10-27-2010, 08:18 AM
what part of that is blowing smoke?

"Our prices at the concessions and for tickets are comparable to similar products in this market. From the ticket perspective we've heard loud and clear that while people still see value in their seats.."

just going off of what the website questions listed.

Roogsy
10-27-2010, 08:45 AM
I like how concessions are priced similar products in the market. Guess what those "similar" products are? That's right, events at the ACC.

I haven't been to a Jays game in a while. What does a beer and hot dog cost there these days?

Wooster_TFC
10-27-2010, 08:50 AM
I like how concessions are priced similar products in the market. Guess what those "similar" products are? That's right, events at the ACC.

I haven't been to a Jays game in a while. What does a beer and hot dog cost there these days?

When I went a couple times this summer the hot dog was about the same price (unless you got the street meat outside), and the beer was more expensive, from what I recall.

Part of the difference is that you could get great/awesome tickets for less than 50 bucks a pop, TFC, not so much any more.

brad
10-27-2010, 08:53 AM

That's where this argument breaks down for me. If we are talking about the Leafs and the Raptors - those are not similar products. Those teams in the top league in the world in their respective sports, employing the top athletes in their respective sports (jokes about their quality aside).

MLS and TFC is not a top tier product in their respective sport, does not employ the same level of talent, and therefore it should not be held to the same pricing standards IMHO.

Parkdale
10-27-2010, 08:58 AM
A Plane! TFC will subsidize a PLANE !?!?!?!?!

that would be very cool. Granted I know many of us will be there with or without a subsidy, but the offer is might nice of them.

Roogsy
10-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Yeah, sometimes people ask dumb questions.

This isn't Europe and clubs here don't arrange ticketing and transportation for their supporters. Can we please stop trying to make TFC into Europe light?

jabbronies
10-27-2010, 09:11 AM

This isn't Europe and clubs here don't arrange ticketing and transportation for their supporters. Can we please stop trying to make TFC into Europe light?

I think it's a great idea to get the team subsidizing transportation for their supporters. I'm sure they've got the pull to get better prices through a partner.

It also takes the heat off of the SG's for trying to get people on the same transport. As for tickets at the stadiums though - I'd rather have supporters only sections - we've seen in Columbus the kind of shit show that non-supporters can bring.

__wowza
10-27-2010, 09:54 AM

i really hope no one holds this against me, but.. uh.. :rolleyes: sounders FO did it.

H Bomb
10-27-2010, 09:57 AM
They havent subsidized a plane Parky. I know you're always looking for the positives in things....but seriously, every once in a while you should remember who you're talking about. Them subsidizing a plane is something i'll believe when i see, and i still wont be convinced then.

Roogsy
10-27-2010, 09:58 AM
i really hope no one holds this against me, but.. uh.. :rolleyes: sounders FO did it.

No need to worry, I am not saying it wouldn't be a good thing. But when recognizing the reality of who our owners are compared to Seattle should answer that question for you. Seattle has done lots of great things for their fans and supporters that Toronto will never do. I would just wish people would concentrate on getting TFC to do the basic things right first before moving on to other things. I'd much rather have the FO put a winning team together first than worry about whether they arrange for travel. If this team continues to suck, there won't be anyone travelling to these games in the first place.

__wowza
10-27-2010, 10:09 AM
I'd much rather have the FO put a winning team together first than worry about whether they arrange for travel. If this team continues to suck, there won't be anyone travelling to these games in the first place.

this is where i disagree with practically ALL of you. many clubs have winning teams and treat their fans like royalty because they value them. for the past three years we haven't really made a winning club our number one concern because we were alright with the prospect of not being treated like shit. MLSE doesn't value us, so win or lose, they're treating us like crap.

i'll take being valued over a winning club anyday.
(that's what makes it bearable to be a spurs fan)

providing us with a winning club would be swallowing poison with a mouthful of sugar.

Cashcleaner
10-27-2010, 10:13 AM
While I don't expect the team to subsidize road trips, I would like to see a formal partnership arranged along the lines of an discount given to TFC cardholders specifically for away trips by Expeida, Hotels.ca, or any similar organisation. We really shouldn't have to call up ten or so hotels in a city trying to find the best rates for such large groups.

The best solution would be to give us a straight-up discount on one of those services and just book everything through them (Expedia, hotels.ca, etc). MLSE has a lot of buying power and I'd like to see us benefit from that.

Parkdale
10-27-2010, 10:13 AM
They havent subsidized a plane Parky. I know you're always looking for the positives in things....but seriously, every once in a while you should remember who you're talking about. Them subsidizing a plane is something i'll believe when i see, and i still wont be convinced then.

but he (Paul) would know that something like that would be remembered.
And it's not a full plane charter or anything.... it would be like $100 of the
ticket for 30 supporters. I'm pretty sure Toronto FC puts enough cash into
WestJet or Air Canada's pocket that they can get a break on $3000 for us.

but yes... I'll believe it when I see it.

H Bomb
10-27-2010, 10:18 AM
^^ also a big jump to assume any sort of money decrease. Waht paul said was he likes the idea....and from everything we've heard from paul recently he doesnt make decisions. This is a nothing concept that no one should even be jokingly thankful that PB brought up. That guy should learn to shut it when it comes to non official TFC programs. The conversational nice guy bit wore out 2 years ago.

phonzo
10-27-2010, 10:22 AM
just going off of what the website questions listed.

haha not surprised the website omitted that question. It was asked at the start of the conversation..so yes renewals hovering around 80%

scooter
10-27-2010, 10:43 AM
that means around 3000 seats not renewed
thats a big chunk

peterboroughtfcfan
10-27-2010, 10:46 AM
No need to worry, I am not saying it wouldn't be a good thing. But when recognizing the reality of who our owners are compared to Seattle should answer that question for you. Seattle has done lots of great things for their fans and supporters that Toronto will never do. I would just wish people would concentrate on getting TFC to do the basic things right first before moving on to other things. I'd much rather have the FO put a winning team together first than worry about whether they arrange for travel. If this team continues to suck, there won't be anyone travelling to these games in the first place.

Roogsy, I'm the one who asked him the question so I'll own it. I agree with what you are saying in principle, but I don't think its beyond the realm of possibility that they could field a winning team and maybe organize a trip for us to BC via expedia.

I didn't ask him with the expectation that they were going to charter a plane for us. I assumed the response would be that they could organize us a cheaper flight - which frankly, is really all we can hope for.

I know MLSE has fucked up in several regards, but this sounds like something those monkeys could put together for us. I want to be in Vancouver next year en masse. I'm willing to pay one way or another but there are a lot of people who can't. It'd probably take Paul and co. 15 mins on the phone to organize something like this and its one of those minor things they can do that will make a huge difference in "keeping the fans happy".

TFCRegina
10-27-2010, 10:51 AM
^

I'm in favour of them getting us a group rate or something, but yeah...asking for a subsidy is a little ridiculous.

I hope they do get us a group rate or something next year. I'd love to make it to some of the western away matches. Specifically Voyageurs Cup matches.

Roogsy
10-27-2010, 10:53 AM
:lol:

You asked it bro?

To be perfectly honest, if TFC did bare minimum for fans with their last answer to the uproar over ticket prices, I may be cynical but I highly doubt they'd venture into areas of going above and beyond for fans anywhere else, let alone taking on costs themselves. I know it's sad that I have such low expectations from them but they really haven't proven otherwise have they?

Parkdale
10-27-2010, 10:57 AM
that means around 3000 seats not renewed
thats a big chunk

the 16,000 seats are owned by aprox 4,000 people (averaging 4 seats per person). Are they are 80% of total seats (which could mean some people were keeping 2 and dropping 2) or are they at 80% of actual ticket owners (which could be up to 6 seats each).

it's hard to figure it out exactly.

James17930
10-27-2010, 11:13 AM
^Either way, it means more different people from the waiting lists are going to be able to pick up seats, which is a good thing.

Cashcleaner
10-27-2010, 11:43 AM
^ Wait a minute. But don't we go through the seat allocation process first, THEN the tickets go up on the market?

That's how it works, right?

Parkdale
10-27-2010, 12:02 PM
^ Wait a minute. But don't we go through the seat allocation process first, THEN the tickets go up on the market?

That's how it works, right?

first is seat relocation, but that only applies if someone renewed and then wants to move.

Then it goes to the waiting lists.

Cashcleaner
10-27-2010, 12:04 PM
first is seat relocation, but that only applies if someone renewed and then wants to move.

Then it goes to the waiting lists.

BAH! Yeah, that's what I meant. Relocation, not allocation.

James just had me a bit worried there.

Parkdale
10-27-2010, 12:24 PM
gotcha.

not sure how the various waiting lists are lined up, because I've never been on one, but for the most part it seems to get people into the stadium.

Ben - D.O.W.
10-27-2010, 12:32 PM
gotcha.

not sure how the various waiting lists are lined up, because I've never been on one, but for the most part it seems to get people into the stadium.

I'm pretty sure it's Relocation, Gold list (bought ransom packs or partial seasons before) and then Red list (the mythical waiting list of 16,000 or whatever it is.

__wowza
10-27-2010, 01:45 PM
To be perfectly honest, if TFC did bare minimum for fans with their last answer to the uproar over ticket prices, I may be cynical but I highly doubt they'd venture into areas of going above and beyond for fans anywhere else, let alone taking on costs themselves. I know it's sad that I have such low expectations from them but they really haven't proven otherwise have they?

^ what he said.
some of us were surprised at a fucking price freeze for the 2011-2012 season, how sad is that? i think we've all come to grips with the fact that we're owned by the worst sports entity in north america. the sooner we get the notion out of our heads that they value us, the better.

Auzzy
10-27-2010, 02:15 PM

Freaking wow, I'm surprised this didn't get more coverage. 80% after all the concessions & extensions?!? Considering they also wanted to expand the season ticket base by 2,000, that's huge, and likely will mean over 5,000 new season tickets available in total -- if they stick with those plans. I'm assuming 80% means the percentage of seats renewed, buy yeah who knows as mentioned above.

It also means there will be many seats available for relocation, and we will see lots of movement to cheaper seats. Waiting list folks (I'm a Gold List Marlies sucker) will probably only be offered expensive seats (as per usual), including the now totally overpriced north end.

Technorgasm
10-27-2010, 02:39 PM
A Plane! TFC will subsidize a PLANE !?!?!?!?!

that would be very cool. Granted I know many of us will be there with or without a subsidy, but the offer is might nice of them.

fuck subsidize. . I just cant wait to go to Van city with Adrian PEACHES Cann and twat the bitches. . then tear their city apart via the gaslamp district in a sea (read 50 -100) REDS!

If TFC/ RPB whatever can organize a group flight / hotel rate by pre-registering with depositis ect. . . its totally possible we can take the majority of a Boeing 737!!!! (177 -189 seats!)

AWAY TEAM
ASSEMBLE!

brad
10-27-2010, 02:50 PM
It also means there will be many seats available for relocation, and we will see lots of movement to cheaper seats. Waiting list folks (I'm a Gold List Marlies sucker) will probably only be offered expensive seats (as per usual), including the now totally overpriced north end.

It is really going to depend on what seats were dropped. I bet that a lot of them were the more expensive seats. Those are the harder ones for a lot of people to carry in the face of increased prices and declined demand for unused tickets.

prizby
10-27-2010, 02:52 PM
i wonder what PB was eluding to about fans getting the boot at DC United?

mastermixer
10-27-2010, 03:27 PM
i wonder what PB was eluding to about fans getting the boot at DC United?

I think I read somewhere they got kicked out for starting flares in the stadium... The camera cut to them during the game and it was madness!! lol.

peterboroughtfcfan
10-27-2010, 04:12 PM
fuck subsidize. . I just cant wait to go to Van city with Adrian PEACHES Cann and twat the bitches. . then tear their city apart via the gaslamp district in a sea (read 50 -100) REDS!

If TFC/ RPB whatever can organize a group flight / hotel rate by pre-registering with depositis ect. . . its totally possible we can take the majority of a Boeing 737!!!! (177 -189 seats!)

AWAY TEAM
ASSEMBLE!

Exactly - RPB Airways. Yeoman and I will bring the drums on the plane and provide the inflight entertainment. Boris can fly the plane and Roogsy will deliver drinks (I'm giving him the meanial task as he made fun of my earlier question). Phonzo and Steph are invited but are not allowed to fly anywhere in North American airspace due to a previous "incident" - don't ask.

Let's set this up. Away team discussions with PB should be able to save us $50-$100 on a flight. I used to live right near Empire Stadium so I can contact a few bars around there and get us a place to pre/post game.

__wowza
10-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Exactly - RPB Airways. Yeoman and I will bring the drums on the plane and provide the inflight entertainment.

you mean the red patch boys lead drummer?

prizby
10-27-2010, 04:28 PM
^ LOL

peterboroughtfcfan
10-27-2010, 04:31 PM
you mean the red patch boys lead drummer?

Hey, I'm happy that's all he said. If you saw him beforehand (which I think you did) you knew there was a good chance he was going to murder Anselmi.

"Lead drummer for the Red Patch Boys" was a huge relief for me all things considered.

Pookie
10-27-2010, 06:13 PM
That renewal stat is an interesting one for a number of reasons. At <80% renewals on a 16,000 season ticket base in a 21,000 seat stadium, there are well over 8,000 tickets available for every MLS home game.

Here's what I am looking forward to seeing:

- The Gold list offers. Will they include the "free game"? I would wager that they should because most Gold listers have sucked up the Marlies Pack at one time or another

- Speaking of which, I'd say we've just seen the end of the Marlies' pack.

- Will the expensive seats be purchased at all? There really is no need to pick up Reds and Club seats when there are so many cheaper tickets available (and in sections with atmosphere that doesn't mimic a library). Like a middle aged comb-over will BMO be full in the ends and corners but sparsely populated through the middle?

- if these 8,000 seats go unsold can they actually claim to have a wait list?

- if there is no wait list, there is no scarcity. Will Supply and Demand dictate a price reduction in the years ahead?

- will they add some services to justify the current prices?

- will they actually advertise the MLS Cup game? ;)

Oldtimer
10-27-2010, 07:49 PM
I think the Marlies pack may be back in a very limited number, say for the 10 people who liked it.

ArmenJBX
10-27-2010, 07:50 PM
It can be back if it wants to be.

I just better not be offered it.

nfitz
10-27-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm pretty sure it's Relocation, Gold list (bought ransom packs or partial seasons before) and then Red list (the mythical waiting list of 16,000 or whatever it is.There's usually Platinum list before Gold list (existing STH who want more seats).

ensco
10-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Why would anyone want TFC to subsidize supporters trips? It makes no sense.

It would have strings attached somehow, there's no way it'd be worth it.

Why not have them invest in better security?

prizby
10-27-2010, 10:29 PM
many of these issues were addressed at the town halls and this is jsut repeated stuff

peterboroughtfcfan
10-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Why would anyone want TFC to subsidize supporters trips? It makes no sense.

It would have strings attached somehow, there's no way it'd be worth it.

Why not have them invest in better security?

Is this a joke Ensco? Strings attached? Like what? We have to wear MLSE tattoos on the plane?

Trust me, I get that MLSE has fucked up in the past, but this level or paranoia is pathetic. They are quite capable of getting us a deal with expedia for the trip. If they do it, we should all be thankful. Its more than most teams do in North America.

Yohan
10-27-2010, 10:38 PM
^

I'm in favour of them getting us a group rate or something, but yeah...asking for a subsidy is a little ridiculous.

I hope they do get us a group rate or something next year. I'd love to make it to some of the western away matches. Specifically Voyageurs Cup matches.
why bring MLSE into organizing away trips when RPB away team does such a fine job? (and not fuck things up)

__wowza
10-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Hey, I'm happy that's all he said. If you saw him beforehand (which I think you did) you knew there was a good chance he was going to murder Anselmi.

"Lead drummer for the Red Patch Boys" was a huge relief for me all things considered.

oh, i saw him beforehand the fact that he didn't start out with "LISTEN MOTHERFUCKER.." is a relief for all of us. just busting chops is all.

i'd actually like to hear a steady drumbeat over the safety announcement. let everyone know the type of flight they're on.

Toronto Ruffrider
10-27-2010, 11:36 PM
- The Gold list offers. Will they include the "free game"? I would wager that they should because most Gold listers have sucked up the Marlies Pack at one time or another

As a Gold Lister, I doubt this will happen. Analyzing my invoice from last season, I saved less than a dollar per ticket on what I would have paid for single-game tickets. About the only advantage I had was that I didn't have to pay any Ticketnazi surcharges.

- Speaking of which, I'd say we've just seen the end of the Marlies' pack.
If anyone at MLSE has half a brain, they will get rid of these packs. The waiting list is BS, and there's no monetary gain in getting Marlies' packs instead of single-game tickets.

- Will the expensive seats be purchased at all? There really is no need to pick up Reds and Club seats when there are so many cheaper tickets available (and in sections with atmosphere that doesn't mimic a library). Like a middle aged comb-over will BMO be full in the ends and corners but sparsely populated through the middle?
I would be really surprised if these seats moved. Why buy these seats when cheaper tickets aren't hard to come by?

- if these 8,000 seats go unsold can they actually claim to have a wait list?
I'm sure MLSE's PR department is already working on this problem.

- if there is no wait list, there is no scarcity. Will Supply and Demand dictate a price reduction in the years ahead?
I doubt it. I'd bet that MLSE will only freeze the ticket prices for the expensive seats that don't easily sell.

- will they add some services to justify the current prices?
The club could give us strippers, but the poles would obstruct our view.:D

I've seen an add in the Sun sports section. The club could do so much more to advertise this match, but the marketing department at MLSE didn't study in school.

kodiakTFC
10-28-2010, 01:31 AM
Marlies packs are back, PB said in an interview recently that MLSE execs liked them and they have no say.

torontocelt
10-28-2010, 06:34 AM
Is this a joke Ensco? Strings attached? Like what? We have to wear MLSE tattoos on the plane?

Trust me, I get that MLSE has fucked up in the past, but this level or paranoia is pathetic. They are quite capable of getting us a deal with expedia for the trip. If they do it, we should all be thankful. Its more than most teams do in North America.

i have it on good authority that any subsidized deals will be also have to be linked with the sale of marlies tickets to offset some of the subsidized benefit.

ensco
10-28-2010, 06:49 AM

Jesus the tone of some of these emails around here....

For one thing, if they're involved officially in any way, they would have legal liability around it, which means they'd have rules around things like drinking on the airplane, etc.

Second, it makes no sense. It's directing dollars to only a few supporters, when there are many things they could do (training security better is high on the list) that would benefit many more.

OK?

I herewith retire from the thread.

Free flights for all!

Fort York Redcoat
10-28-2010, 07:13 AM

I think they're going to leave that to the CSA.

:smilielol5:

drexel10
10-28-2010, 03:26 PM
I wonder if the scalpers have decided to renew their season tickets. It didn't look to profitable for them this year.