PDA

View Full Version : What does Rob Ford mean for TFC?

MartinUtd
10-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Simple question.

In all honestly I haven't been following Toronto's mayoralty race too closely. I'm glad we got grass before any dynamic shifts take place in the political landscape. But I am left wondering if we'll now have a more serious threat of the Argo's moving into BMO or maybe some other issues could arise with a less footy friendly Nathan Philips Square.

stugautz
10-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Ticket prices will go up next year. That's about it.

jabbronies
10-26-2010, 10:46 AM
More community use of BMO

Suds
10-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Simple question.

In all honestly I haven't been following Toronto's mayoralty race too closely. I'm glad we got grass before any dynamic shifts take place in the political landscape. But I am left wondering if we'll now have a more serious threat of the Argo's moving into BMO or maybe some other issues could arise with a less footy friendly Nathan Philips Square.

When did Rob Ford say he was somehow against footy?

Can you post a link to the article?

billyfly
10-26-2010, 10:47 AM

Nah. MLSE will talk to Rob about that. Won't happen.

Roogsy
10-26-2010, 10:48 AM

He was against building the stadium. And I know he's a pointyball coach and fan. That's all I know about his position on TFC.

MartinUtd
10-26-2010, 10:48 AM

Ouch. Maybe this a cause worth lobbying before it becomes a problem. I'm not sure how one would go about that or if its best left to (yikes!) MLSE.

menefreghista
10-26-2010, 10:56 AM

When the stadium was being voted on in council, Ford suggested they should just play soccer at Centennial, because nobody watches soccer anyways.

That's the kind of small-picture thinking you can expect from Ford.

Super
10-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Miller was definitely a bigger friend to TFC than Rob Ford will be. But what does that matter anyway at this point? We have a stadium. I doubt expansion will happen in the near future - nor would it be a good idea for TFC. A roof would be great, but this would have to be paid for by MLSE anyway.

So yeah, in my opinion, Rob Ford is not likely to mean anything, positive or negative, for TFC. And personally I'm glad he's not a TFC supporter. Imagine seeing him strutting around town sporting a TFC jersey - couple sizes too small. Trust me: we don't need that.

fetajr
10-26-2010, 11:02 AM
we're Miller's tickets courtesy of the City of Toronto or out of his own pocket?

Wagner
10-26-2010, 11:10 AM
we're Miller's tickets courtesy of the City of Toronto or out of his own pocket?

his own pocket.
you can't accept gifts more than like $20 without a big report to council...etc.

druid
10-26-2010, 11:11 AM
He's a hand egg fan and coach. Joe Pants and Miller were the big grass and Ex proponents. I would expect that BMO and TFC can expect no joy from Ford. Let's just hope it doesn't get too bad.

prizby
10-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Simple question.

if u went to the town hall meeting or read any the recap stuff...

in order for the argos to move to BMO Field, the field would need to be extended 15 yards each (for the endzone) way taking the field to the food building and the street. The Argos would then have to pay for the moving of the bleachers and then setting them back up for every TFC game...the Argos will take their free rent at Rogers and run with it

Miller was definitely a bigger friend to TFC than Rob Ford will be. But what does that matter anyway at this point? We have a stadium. I doubt expansion will happen in the near future - nor would it be a good idea for TFC. A roof would be great, but this would have to be paid for by MLSE anyway.

So yeah, in my opinion, Rob Ford is not likely to mean anything, positive or negative, for TFC. And personally I'm glad he's not a TFC supporter. Imagine seeing him strutting around town sporting a TFC jersey - couple sizes too small. Trust me: we don't need that.

another townhall comment was that TFC is always looking at/considering/thinking about expansion

He's a hand egg fan and coach. Joe Pants and Miller were the big grass and Ex proponents. I would expect that BMO and TFC can expect no joy from Ford. Let's just hope it doesn't get too bad.

We made ourselves heard at BMO Field...I am sure we can make ourselves heard at Nathan Phillips Square if it ever came down to it

dupont
10-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Ford hates soccer. He didn't want the stadium built and said it was a big waste of money.
I would say it might make it difficult to get anything helpful passed through council but now that we have grass, it may not matter at this point.
Is there anything else we even needed passed through?

He could help the Argos if they ask for it. So that is the only thing I can think of right now. All the other damage he does will be to the entire city and he will leave damaging TFC to MLSE ;)

Parkdale
10-26-2010, 11:44 AM
it might mean higher rent or property tax for MLSE, but Ford would be a fool to start picking on the little guys like us lowly TFC fans. He's going to get enough cash from making swimming pools pay-as-you-go and cutting out arts funding.

thank goodness we got grass at BMO when we did, because we'd never get it in there now.

Roogsy
10-26-2010, 11:48 AM
thank goodness we got grass at BMO when we did, because we'd never get it in there now.

This is true.

flatpicker
it might mean higher rent or property tax for MLSE, but Ford would be a fool to start picking on the little guys like us lowly TFC fans. He's going to get enough cash from making swimming pools pay-as-you-go and cutting out arts funding.

Because crushing the urban art scene is what makes world class cities great. :rolleyes:
He's an ass.

But staying on the topic of soccer,
One must keep in mind that if he wants to make life difficult for TFC,
Then that means taking on MLSE... and I'm sure they have some political strength in this city.

rocker
thankfully he's created his image as a no-spending guy, so if the Argos ever ask for city money to expand BMO for pointyball, he'll have to say no. At least I hope so. But I wouldn't be shocked if he comes up with some revenue sharing plan to get the deal done... "anything I can do for football".

It's unlikely, but that's the only way I see Ford mattering at this point to BMO.

I think if he had been mayor 5 years ago, BMO Field doesn't get built, or it ends up being a CFL stadium first, soccer second.

Section 117
10-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Hopefully fuck all

Alixir
10-26-2010, 12:04 PM
it means barrels of gravy and spoons at every gate.
Free gravy for all to drink!

Kooper
10-26-2010, 12:09 PM
thankfully he's created his image as a no-spending guy, so if the Argos ever ask for city money to expand BMO for pointyball, he'll have to say no. At least I hope so. But I wouldn't be shocked if he comes up with some revenue sharing plan to get the deal done... "anything I can do for football".

It seems popular for politicians to be "Small government" as long as it is departments that YOU like and not the departments THEY like. I could see Ford being against spending for TFC but for spending for the Argos.

Remember that Ford got himself in trouble at a Leafs game.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2006/05/03/tor-ford060503.html
Who's to say if he is upset at MLSE.

Parkdale
10-26-2010, 12:24 PM
it means barrels of gravy and spoons at every gate.
Free gravy for all to drink!

that might almost make the chipbutty tolerable.

Whoop
10-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Might go with the gravy boats that were promised to us a couple of years ago.

Parkdale
10-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Might go with the gravy boats that were promised to us a couple of years ago.

and we'll wash it all down with $5 beers

Nuvinho
10-26-2010, 12:39 PM
double downs at BMO field.

Parkdale
10-26-2010, 12:49 PM
double downs at BMO field.

you can bet that the 'a la carte' food vendor thing wouldn't have bombed with that man behind it.

Pie cart? Check
Deep Fried Perogie cart? check!

MartinUtd
10-26-2010, 01:15 PM
And to think I got in shit a month back for starting a thread that wasn't on topic...

Toronto_Bhoy
10-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Less pies for the rest of us…

Parkdale
10-26-2010, 01:20 PM
And to think I got in shit a month back for starting a thread that wasn't on topic...

this is moderately ON topic.

there's no denying that the civic government of the past 4 years (or 8) have had a huge impact on the construction and upgrading of BMO Field. The worry that a lot of people have is that it can be undone just as quickly. The Skydome is too big a monster for someone to tackle, but it would be very simple to destroy BMO (hello Argos)

Auzzy
10-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Consider that Pantalone was the chair of the Board of Governors for Exhibition Place, which has control over BMO Field and the surrounding area. Ford will be appointing a new chair & new board members for that board. Who the hell knows what's going to happen.

Wull
10-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Won't he have to get 22 councilors onboard with any such changes?

ag futbol
10-26-2010, 01:45 PM
^ Correct

Ford might be the mayor and setting the agenda, but he collectively has one vote and really doesn't have the sway a leader does in provincial or federal politics.

Auzzy
10-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Appointing is pretty well the mayor's deal, so he can influence the boards & committees. (However, there are only so many councillors available to be appointed.) Of course, major changes have to go to a council vote, but I think the Ex board is still pretty important for BMO Field.

ochos
10-26-2010, 02:15 PM
It's been great to have Miller and Pantalone as friends of TFC for years. Ford's earlier comments about 'nobody watching soccer' exemplify exactly how out of touch he is with many residents in this city (granted that he's not the only one).

Let's hope he doesn't find way to get knee deep in a fight with TFC supporters... but if he does, you can bet it'll be an epic battle :D

Parkdale
10-26-2010, 02:26 PM
it's strange to think of just how much political involvement there was with our club since it's inception. I guess that's what you get when you play in a City owned stadium. AND as long as BMO is City Owned, and part of the Exhibition Grounds, there will continue to be political issues.

Hitcho
10-26-2010, 02:29 PM
I thought people were bashing Pantalone when the Argos were sniffing around BMO Field? Might be remembering that wrong though.

The only things I can see TFC approaching city council about pro-actively are:

1. permission to put on a roof if MLSE decide to pay for it themselves (don't know if this is architecturally possible or affordable in any event, but if it is then no reason for Ford to object)

2. the new training/academy facility (but this would again have to be paid for by MLSE alone or in partnership with other private money, City of TO is not going to pay for it and frankly I cannot see the site being within the TO city limits so it's unlikely to have to go through Ford/Council anyway)

3. expansion of BMO Field (doesn't look likely in the immediate future and I would think ML$E would want to see a few consecutive years of pent up, maxed out demand before they risk investing in something like that, especially after the back end of this season and all that has happened. I suppose ultimately they may want to move from Exhibition and into a NYRB type home, but that's got to be a good 15 years away at least and Ford will be long gone by then).

So, that really only leaves things that City of TO approaches TFC about, and that could really only be about third party use of BMO Field. But like someone said, there would be an almighty scrap if they ever tried that, and whatever their public line might have to be in terms of staying neutral, you better believe ML$E would fight it tooth and nail below the decks after they invested in grass etc., so I am not too worried about it - there might be some drama if it ever happened, but I think ultimately TFC would win the day.

Beach_Red
10-26-2010, 02:42 PM
^ MLSE have been approaching other municipalities about the training facility -there was something on here recently about Milton getting ready to come on board as the partner.

Derko
10-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Hopefully Ford will have too much to deal with putting out fires from his opposition for 4 years and won't be able to do any damage to TFC, I'm sure he will be O.K.

Eastend
10-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Since Ford's about cost cutting though, it may be the opportune time for MLSE to step up and buy the house we live in....no?

Hitcho
10-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Since Ford's about cost cutting though, it may be the opportune time for MLSE to step up and buy the house we live in....no?

I wish, but no way would the City ever sell all or part of the Exhibition grounds, never in a million years. And that wouldn't be cost cutting anyway, since the City gets a share of profits from BMO Field as I understand it and must make a mint out of the Ex every year. Whatever mortgage they have on them (if any) I doubt it will be much, which means the EG are a source of revenue for the City, not a source of costs. (I'm guessing though, so if someone inside City Hall knows otherwise, then share the knowledge!)

MartinUtd
10-26-2010, 06:03 PM
I thought people were bashing Pantalone when the Argos were sniffing around BMO Field? Might be remembering that wrong though.

The only things I can see TFC approaching city council about pro-actively are:

1. permission to put on a roof if MLSE decide to pay for it themselves (don't know if this is architecturally possible or affordable in any event, but if it is then no reason for Ford to object)

2. the new training/academy facility (but this would again have to be paid for by MLSE alone or in partnership with other private money, City of TO is not going to pay for it and frankly I cannot see the site being within the TO city limits so it's unlikely to have to go through Ford/Council anyway)

3. expansion of BMO Field (doesn't look likely in the immediate future and I would think ML$E would want to see a few consecutive years of pent up, maxed out demand before they risk investing in something like that, especially after the back end of this season and all that has happened. I suppose ultimately they may want to move from Exhibition and into a NYRB type home, but that's got to be a good 15 years away at least and Ford will be long gone by then).

So, that really only leaves things that City of TO approaches TFC about, and that could really only be about third party use of BMO Field. But like someone said, there would be an almighty scrap if they ever tried that, and whatever their public line might have to be in terms of staying neutral, you better believe ML$E would fight it tooth and nail below the decks after they invested in grass etc., so I am not too worried about it - there might be some drama if it ever happened, but I think ultimately TFC would win the day.

Jabbronies brought up a good one to add to that list: Community use. We could end up with a trampled on pitch if BMO is to be squeezed for every dime by the city (pure speculation on my part mind you). It would be interesting to see if Paul B and Co. would have an answer to that if the city came knocking. I remember hearing MLSE plans on having more non TFC games there to bring in revenue, I wonder if that would be viewed by the city as supplemental or as intended use.

mclaren
10-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Is the person who started this post a tax and spend NDP'er? Rob Ford has done nothing against TFC, why even discuss it? He has no plans to do anything either with respect TFC. No need to be harsh on the guy, he hasn't even gotten into office yet. A record turnout and nearly 50% of the vote, he's obviously got something going for him.

dow117
10-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Is the person who started this post a tax and spend NDP'er? Rob Ford has done nothing against TFC, why even discuss it? He has no plans to do anything either with respect TFC. No need to be harsh on the guy, he hasn't even gotten into office yet. A record turnout and nearly 50% of the vote, he's obviously got something going for him.

You are correct .. he is such a political and intellectual lightweight, nothing will change in this city ...

sully
10-26-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't think Ford will do anything that will impact on BMO field because to do so would involve spending money which he won't have.

Heart of Stone
10-26-2010, 06:37 PM
It is wrong to pick on Ford when he hasn't even started his term or done anything negative yet... his weight, his arrests, his uttering death threats against his wife - these have nothing to do with what kind of job he'll do as mayor or the impact he'll have on BMO/TFC ... you can't judge a book by it's cover... just think Russell Williams was athletically fit, had no prior arrests, and had never threatened to kill his wife and look what he did... STOP PICKING ON FORD!!

nfitz
10-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Probably very little impact .... at least now that there's enough concrete in place at both end of the field to keep the Argos out.

Might be a bit more difficult to fast-track BMO Field expansions through council ... but if MLSE does as previously and pays for it all, it should go through no problem.

Remember, unlike virtually any other facility BMO Field creates a revenue stream for the city.

The biggest impact really is if he follows through with his promise of getting rid of streetcars. Those 40-foot buses that he wants to replace the 100-foot streetcars with will make it more difficult to get away from a game. However, the $ cost of keeping that promise make it unlikely that he will.

BASE
10-26-2010, 07:58 PM
I know some guys who played football for Rob Ford at Don Bosco over the years...apparently he absolutely hates + bashes soccer at every turn.

profit89
10-26-2010, 08:19 PM
I know some guys who played football for Rob Ford at Don Bosco over the years...apparently he absolutely hates + bashes soccer at every turn.

Really eh. One of those guys.

FluSH
10-26-2010, 08:43 PM
It is wrong to pick on Ford when he hasn't even started his term or done anything negative yet... his weight, his arrests, his uttering death threats against his wife - these have nothing to do with what kind of job he'll do as mayor or the impact he'll have on BMO/TFC ... you can't judge a book by it's cover... just think Russell Williams was athletically fit, had no prior arrests, and had never threatened to kill his wife and look what he did... STOP PICKING ON FORD!!

Agreed...

Besides just think of the TIFO's:

http://www.anticoemoderno.it/Antico/Vinile/ingrandimenti/Nighthawk%20-%20Eye%20of%20the%20tiger.jpg

http://theleftcoast.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/The-Gravy-Train.jpg

prizby
10-26-2010, 08:51 PM

coming from the guy who thought soccer would be fine at Centennial

RedsYNWA
10-26-2010, 08:52 PM
FORD knows what makes money for the city & what costs money.
BMO is a nice cash cow and he will leave it as is
Thank your last " good old socialist boys club" mayor for running the city into the ground.
The People finally spoke out, no more property tax increases, getting rid of the I live in Toronto car tax etc. Being held hostage by overpaid garbageman etc.
All you need to do is check Ford's record of spending and billing the city versus the other fat socialist cats.

Cashcleaner
10-26-2010, 08:56 PM
The one thing about penny-pinching politicos is that if something is making a profit, they're not going to mess with it. BMO Field is, as far as I know, making the city a tidy sum. For a politician who ran a campaign almost exclusively on the promise of good fiscal management, it really wouldn't make a lot of sense to change things with regards to the stadium.

H Bomb
10-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Thank your last " good old socialist boys club" mayor for running the city into the ground.
The People finally spoke out, no more property tax increases, getting rid of the I live in Toronto car tax etc. Being held hostage by overpaid garbageman etc.
All you need to do is check Ford's record of spending and billing the city versus the other fat socialist cats.

so you're saying I need to be afraid of this cat?

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=2594

Waggy
10-26-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm a bit surprised by the partizinship going on here. Some facts

1) The city may own the Ex, but BMO is ran by MLSE. Even if Rob Ford was anti soccer, he would be unable to do anything anyways. MLSE already xnayed the community use, MLSE controls any renovations. MLSE controls the stadium
2) MLSE runs this city. Economically, politically, socially
3) Rob Ford loves football. Do you think his dream is to see the Argos as the 2nd tennant in a soccer stadium that seats 21000 people?
4) The feds contributed money to CANADAS NATIONAL SOCCER STADIUM. Not a football stadium.
5) Even ignoring all of the above, as well as the below, where would the money to rebuild BMO be coming from? You think Ford would spend the same amount of money renovating BMO field making the Argos secondary tennants and pissing off the biggest lobby in the city/country rather than just building something similar (obviously better and permanent) to the stadium the Lions are playing out of this year? The Argos? The CFL? In the words of Ed Harris: There is no fucking money

For my seemingly monthly statement:
ITS BEEN 4 YEARS. THE ARGOS DO NOT WANT TO MOVE TO BMO. MLSE DOESN'T WANT THE ARGOS TO MOVE TO BMO. THE CITY DOESN'T WANT THE ARGOS TO MOVE TO BMO. THE CFL WON'T LET THE ARGOS MOVE TO BMO. IT IS NOT AND WILL NEVER HAPPEN. The only way the Argos are leaving the Skydome is with a brand new 25k seat stadium of their own either beside BMO (which'd be sick but unlikely) or Downsview.

MartinUtd
10-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Jeez, I'm not picking on the mayor-elect and I'm not a fat cat NDP socialist either (lol).
In most cases a new mayor wouldn't even warrant discussion but since the last one was instrumental in bringing a football club to town I figure the transition to new leadership is a point of interest.

Heathen
10-26-2010, 10:07 PM

Damn right he has, luck and timing, two major opponents one with links to a highly unpopular provincial government and another the deputy mayor of a discredited city administration. Let's be honest any of the right wing outsiders from the Miller reign Minnan-Wong, Thompson, Holyday probably would've romped in the same way Ford has. Problem is he has absolutely no political savvy whatsoever in dealing with city hall, all very well repeating that gravy train crap ad nauseam big difference actually being in charge. I guarantee he's shitting bricks right now because he realizes he has to deliver and has no idea how.

Yes I know its all off topic

JonO
10-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Jabbronies brought up a good one to add to that list: Community use. We could end up with a trampled on pitch if BMO is to be squeezed for every dime by the city
If I recall correctly, when BMO field was being used for "community use" it was actually losing money. They were only making money off TFC.

rocker
10-26-2010, 11:02 PM
5) Even ignoring all of the above, as well as the below, where would the money to rebuild BMO be coming from? You think Ford would spend the same amount of money renovating BMO field making the Argos secondary tennants and pissing off the biggest lobby in the city/country rather than just building something similar (obviously better and permanent) to the stadium the Lions are playing out of this year? The Argos? The CFL? In the words of Ed Harris: There is no fucking money

But it doesn't have to be a donation of city money. The original deal involved the city basically going as partners... giving 10 million but sharing in revenue with the expectation they'd get that 10 million back in 20 years.

What if the Argos proposed a similar revenue sharing deal in exchange for a 10-15 million expansion?

I seriously doubt it would happen. but don't make it sound like it could never happen. All it takes is a willing mayor and some creative financing. If he came across as "saving" the Argos he'd do it.

Waggy
10-26-2010, 11:15 PM
But it doesn't have to be a donation of city money. The original deal involved the city basically going as partners... giving 10 million but sharing in revenue with the expectation they'd get that 10 million back in 20 years.

What if the Argos proposed a similar revenue sharing deal in exchange for a 10-15 million expansion?

I seriously doubt it would happen. but don't make it sound like it could never happen. All it takes is a willing mayor and some creative financing. If he came across as "saving" the Argos he'd do it.

Right but the cost of almost tearing down over half of BMO then rebuilding the stadium. Who is going to pay for that? Even a 50/50 split is unlikely. The Argos don't have 10 or 15 mil to spend (unless Brailan (sp?) digs into his wallet) and if they were spending that much why not on a brand new stadium? As you said it only cost MLSE $10 mil for BMO, why wouldn't they want the same deal?

The Argos still have an average attendance of 21000. And it's the lowest it's probably ever been. In 2008 the Argos were averaging 29 000 a game, and they don't pay rent. Why would they spend that kind of money to go to a smaller stadium that they don't own that they aren't even the primary tenant in? If not impossible it's certainly not likely enough to worry about.

ag futbol
10-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Obviously whoever was going to follow miller was going to be a step down in the TFC support column, that's not to say anybody who is new would be unreasonable.

Ford had his opposition to TFC and the stadium in the first place but let's see where he takes it from here. I think he's got much bigger battles to fight than what happens with TFC and BMO field, or at least i hope so.

colman1860
10-26-2010, 11:48 PM

Can I count the fact that he carries on like this in council against him in his role as mayor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOi2wIUCTnA

Toronto Ruffrider
10-27-2010, 12:11 AM
I don't know if Ford will affect the game-day experience at BMO, but he may affect transportation routes to and from the stadium. If Ford gets his wish, fans will have to take a Harbourfront bus to the game. I don't want to imagine how crowded such a bus would be - game-day streetcars can be pretty crowded, and streetcars hold a lot more people than buses.

jloome
10-27-2010, 12:15 AM

There's absolutely no statistical correlation between popularity and later success.

Cashcleaner
10-27-2010, 08:59 AM
^ I don't believe Ford ever had any opposition of putting a soccer club in Toronto, he just didn't like the sweet deal MLSE got with regards to the stadium.

People need to get a grip now. Ford isn't going to change any government policy over sports he personally likes or doesn't like.

reggie
10-27-2010, 09:10 AM
we may have to play without lights for night games..

greatwhitenorf
10-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Consider that Pantalone was the chair of the Board of Governors for Exhibition Place, which has control over BMO Field and the surrounding area. Ford will be appointing a new chair & new board members for that board. Who the hell knows what's going to happen.

A guaranteed money-making return to the Golden Age of the old CNE Stadium. Expansion to allow CFL AND Saturday night stock car racing.

No Dodge's or Chevy's allowed, just Fords.

greatwhitenorf
10-27-2010, 11:06 AM
There's absolutely no statistical correlation between popularity and later success.

TorSun must be happy. And has the Star - who also railed against building BMO Field - ever been less influential?

maninb
10-27-2010, 11:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvidl3CPjtc

Good vid on the truth about Ford...

jabbronies
10-27-2010, 11:56 AM
^ I don't believe Ford ever had any opposition of putting a soccer club in Toronto, he just didn't like the sweet deal MLSE got with regards to the stadium.

People need to get a grip now. Ford isn't going to change any government policy over sports he personally likes or doesn't like.

yes he did:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2005/10/28/pf-1282689.html

He called it a sucker stadium

Suds
10-27-2010, 12:10 PM
yes he did:

ummm ... no he didn't say he was opposed to TFC ... he was opposed to the city putting up public funds for the stadium

big difference

Cashcleaner
10-27-2010, 12:16 PM
^ What he said.

FluSH
10-27-2010, 12:37 PM
we may have to play without lights for night games..

Glow in the dark futbol! BRILLIANT...

rocker
10-27-2010, 02:12 PM
yes he did:

funny how all the negative councillors were completely wrong about BMO Field.

That's the problem with a guy like Ford. He's so biased towards his narrow vision of the taxpayer-government relationship, that he'd probably never have given the green light to BMO Field. It's a money-maker for the city and I expect the original investment will be paid off much sooner. As well, citizens enjoy it AND it brings people from outside the city into the city, spending money there.

Beach_Red
10-27-2010, 02:16 PM
funny how all the negative councillors were completely wrong about BMO Field.

That's the problem with a guy like Ford. He's so biased towards his narrow vision of the taxpayer-government relationship, that he'd probably never have given the green light to BMO Field. It's a money-maker for the city and I expect the original investment will be paid off much sooner. As well, citizens enjoy it AND it brings people from outside the city into the city, spending money there.

Yeah, but finding money-making things like pro sports stadiums are what the private sector is for.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I doubt very much of the money that passes through BMO ends up with the city.

Roogsy
10-27-2010, 02:20 PM
^ That and for every venture that does well there are ventures that don't. City management should not be mixing with corporate ventures. BMO Field worked out and I am glad it did, but it's one of those rare cases where governments get involved to build infrastructure to promote the city (like the Olympics) and don't do it to make money (because they rarely do).

prizby
10-27-2010, 02:54 PM
ill tell ya what does come to the city.

TAXES

we pay taxes on our tickets, tax that goest to the federal government and provincial government...the federal government gives money to the provincial government, the provincial government gives money to the municipal government

oh the world goes round and round

C.Ronaldo
10-27-2010, 04:04 PM

sadly that doesn't represent the city.

The baby bloomers have a big edge on the younger generations.

Look at the twitter and face book polls and response, (which is predominately younger) Rarely did you see a Ford supporter.

Every gov't will always reflect a certain generation and their current needs, hence transit and cycling wasn't a priority until recently. Not to mention that generation holds the freedom of voting closer to their hearts as well.

Nestease
10-27-2010, 05:09 PM
yes he did:

It is a sucker stadium. Here's the costs before a single ball was kicked at BMO:

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4471/bmofield.jpg

MLSE made a $9 million profit while you pay for their stadium where they continue to rip you off again.

Bars92
10-27-2010, 05:15 PM
^Jesus. The price we pay for a little footy round here..

reggie
10-27-2010, 05:22 PM
who paid for skydome back in 85...i think that was 500mil?

Hitcho
10-27-2010, 05:43 PM
It is a sucker stadium. Here's the costs before a single ball was kicked at BMO:

MLSE made a $9 million profit while you pay for their stadium where they continue to rip you off again.

That's probably true, but at least with MLSE you can count on them taking a long term view of profits as well as short term. For example, if TFC continues to grow and they stand to make more and more money from their investment, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them splash on a NYRB type stadium for TFC somewhere down the line (and I am talking like 15 years or so, maybe more). They got the Leafs the ACC. If they think TFC is worth it then i think they'll get us a new arena eventually, and if the sport has grown enough then they'll make a killing from the naming rights too (consider the possible explosion in Canada when Mtl and Van join the league and the rivalries get going, and the possible exposure to the US market if the sport gets big down there, since there will be a US team coming to the new stadium and on tv basically every couple of weeks throughout the season).

JonO
10-27-2010, 05:54 PM

I notice the initial costs include land, which is a bit of a misleading figure. Sure MLS E would have had to pay for land to build a stadium of their own, but it's not as if the city was going to sell that land to anyone. So I would argue that the cost of the land is irrelevant to the discussion of cost to the city. Anyone know the building cost only?

ag futbol
10-27-2010, 05:57 PM

Ideally no government would pay a cent for any sports stadium. But, given the stupidity of what we've been sucked into in north america it's par for the course.

What you're describing about really doesn't tell me much, other than the city did a pretty poor job in assessing the value of the naming rights of the stadium.

Otherwise, there's a whole lot wrong with the picture that's being painted there. How much of the provincial and federal money would not have been available otherwise? What is the incremental revenue earned from events like the U-20 (that was conditional on the stadium being built)? what is the value of TFC to local businesses ? not to mention the most obvious question, which is how much are you earning year-over-year from ticket surcharges, concessions and other revenues going directly to the city on game days?

Looking at the up-front costs of a stadium (and nothing else) is a woefully inadequate way to analyze an investment.

Heart of Stone
10-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Well now I'm pissed... HE SAID HE WOULD GET RID OF THOSE FUCKING STREETCARS ... and now he's not going to do it... we need change at city hall.. WE NEED TO STOP THE STREETCAR GRAVY TRAIN AT CITY HALL ... Ford has to go ... we need someone who does what they say they will do...

Beach_Red
10-27-2010, 06:05 PM
That's probably true, but at least with MLSE you can count on them taking a long term view of profits as well as short term. For example, if TFC continues to grow and they stand to make more and more money from their investment, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them splash on a NYRB type stadium for TFC somewhere down the line (and I am talking like 15 years or so, maybe more). They got the Leafs the ACC. If they think TFC is worth it then i think they'll get us a new arena eventually, and if the sport has grown enough then they'll make a killing from the naming rights too (consider the possible explosion in Canada when Mtl and Van join the league and the rivalries get going, and the possible exposure to the US market if the sport gets big down there, since there will be a US team coming to the new stadium and on tv basically every couple of weeks throughout the season).

Do you remember te Union Station plan for an arena? before MLSE owned the Raptors they insisted that the ACC was "inappropriate" for hockey and they were looking to build their own arena. But, of course, they never did.

There is absolutely nothing in the history of MLSE (or, to be fair, any other Canadian sports team owner) that points to them building their own stadium.

The Leafs are the most popular, most profitable hockey team in the world, but I agree with MLSE, the ACC isn't anywhere near the best hockey building.

ag futbol
10-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Well now I'm pissed... HE SAID HE WOULD GET RID OF THOSE FUCKING STREETCARS ... and now he's not going to do it... we need change at city hall.. WE NEED TO STOP THE STREETCAR GRAVY TRAIN AT CITY HALL ... Ford has to go ... we need someone who does what they say they will do...
That just goes down as an obvious election promise that was nothing more than hyperbole. It scares me that anyone actually believed that could happen.

He might cancel the new order of streetcars, but if they took them off the tracks downtown commuters coming from the east and west sides of town would be fucked. Running the bus fleet would be woefully inadequate.

Even if they went full steam ahead to try and build a relief line, it will take a very long time to get that built. And even then a beefed up above ground network going east and west of downtown in certain places is needed.

boban
10-27-2010, 06:27 PM

Where did you get these figures from?
This is the first time I heard the naming rights sold for $27m.

Heart of Stone
10-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Will MLSE and/or the Bank of Montreal help foot the bill for getting rid of the streetcars and building the new subway... 'cause this is fucking ridiculous... Rob said in his victory speech that four years from now we would be able to say that he did everything he said he would do...

CretanBull
10-27-2010, 06:53 PM
What does Rob Ford mean for TFC? It means TFC play in a city that has an idiot for a mayor.

CretanBull
10-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Where did you get these figures from?
This is the first time I heard the naming rights sold for $27m.

It was widely reported - a $27 million, 10 year deal ($2.7 million a year for 10 years).

boban
10-27-2010, 07:37 PM
It was widely reported - a $27 million, 10 year deal ($2.7 million a year for 10 years).
If it was widely reported then can you show some links?
I knew the naming rights were being shopped around for $10 by MLSE.
I haven't read they sold for $27m.
Anyone got sources?

nfitz
10-27-2010, 08:51 PM
He might cancel the new order of streetcars, but if they took them off the tracks downtown commuters coming from the east and west sides of town would be fucked. Running the bus fleet would be woefully inadequate.Given that the new streetcars are supposed to replace every current streetcar by 2018, then cancelling the new order would be the same as taking them off the tracks.

It's cheaper to keep the new ones coming and retire the old ones.

Pyeddo
10-27-2010, 08:59 PM
If it was widely reported then can you show some links?
I knew the naming rights were being shopped around for $10 by MLSE.
I haven't read they sold for $27m.
Anyone got sources?

http://tinyurl.com/22rejt8

Management, ownership and funding

Toronto FC is owned by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. (MLSE), owners of the National Hockey League's Toronto Maple Leafs and the National Basketball Association's Toronto Raptors. In addition, MLSE contributed towards the cost of the building of the stadium. With the total costs in the realm of $62 million ($72 million including land), contributions came from multiple sources. MLSE contributed $8 million towards the construction of the stadium and $10 million towards securing the naming rights of the stadium, which they later resold to the Bank of Montreal for $27 million over 10 years.[11][12] The Canadian Federal Government contributed $27 million, with Ontario's government adding an additional $8 million. Toronto paid $9.8 million, and has the ownership of the stadium. (All figures are in Canadian dollars.)

ag futbol
10-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Given that the new streetcars are supposed to replace every current streetcar by 2018, then cancelling the new order would be the same as taking them off the tracks.

It's cheaper to keep the new ones coming and retire the old ones.
Well the cynic would say that if you get a downtown relief line running, you simply don't need them. I tend to disagree, there's a lot of infrastructure and dedicated lines already in place that make it worth while to get the new cars running and that subway will take 10 years to build... if Toronto ever finds the money and balls to do it.

moralis
10-27-2010, 10:18 PM
From what I have been reading Rob Ford said he wants to sell city assets to help pay down Toronto's debt, do you guys think MLSE should try and buy the stadium? Will they only have to pay $9.8 million to the City of Toronto and that's it or do they have to also pay the provincial and federal governments.

prizby
10-27-2010, 10:26 PM
pretty sure some of that 2.7 mil a year goes to jersey logo

Nestease
10-27-2010, 10:47 PM
pretty sure some of that 2.7 mil a year goes to jersey logo

Nope. The original deal for the jerseys was around 1.5 million a season for 4 years. It's been renewed this year for over $4 million a year for 6 more years.

Toronto Ruffrider
10-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Well the cynic would say that if you get a downtown relief line running, you simply don't need them. I tend to disagree, there's a lot of infrastructure and dedicated lines already in place that make it worth while to get the new cars running and that subway will take 10 years to build... if Toronto ever finds the money and balls to do it.

I just don't see a downtown relief line happening. Such a line has been in the books for decades, as evidenced by the roughed-in construction of Lower Queen Station. At any rate, as expensive as streetcars are, they are downright cheap compared to the construction of an entire subway line, which could easily pass the two-billion-dollar range. Subways require vehicles as well, and those aren't exactly cheap either.

Cashcleaner
10-28-2010, 07:01 AM
From what I have been reading Rob Ford said he wants to sell city assets to help pay down Toronto's debt, do you guys think MLSE should try and buy the stadium? Will they only have to pay $9.8 million to the City of Toronto and that's it or do they have to also pay the provincial and federal governments.

I've made the argument plenty of times before (that MLSE should try to buy the stadium outright), but apparently the land is owned by the province and the structure itself is owned by the city (or something like that). Everyone says it would be undoable, but I agree that it would be the best option for the club if feasible.

Unfortunately, as others mentioned before, multi-billion dollar corporation getting public funds to build venues for their multi-millionaire athletes is par for the course in North America. Sad but true. We can only hope the government makes some good money back from the investment to justify their involvement.

Oldtimer
10-28-2010, 07:31 AM
This thread is for what Rob Ford means for TFC. It's not a general Rob Ford thread. Please keep on topic. Thx.

Beach_Red
10-28-2010, 08:38 AM
I've made the argument plenty of times before (that MLSE should try to buy the stadium outright), but apparently the land is owned by the province and the structure itself is owned by the city (or something like that). Everyone says it would be undoable, but I agree that it would be the best option for the club if feasible.

Unfortunately, as others mentioned before, multi-billion dollar corporation getting public funds to build venues for their multi-millionaire athletes is par for the course in North America. Sad but true. We can only hope the government makes some good money back from the investment to justify their involvement.

If there was a way to put condos and other businesses on the site, then they'd be interested. MLSE don't really seem all that interested in sports.

bgnewf
10-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Rob Ford will have minimal impact on Toronto FC.

Will he privatize BMO Field and sell it to MLSE? No way. Nothing on The Ex grounds will be sold. And BMO makes a ton of cash.

Will he force the Argos upon us? No way. The north stand and grass makes BMO Field Argo proof.

Will he up the city usage? Maybe... But again this is something that dollars from MLSE can easily fix.

Will he be a hindrance to the plans for a training ground academy? No, but he won't help either.

Will he stand in the way of improvements to the stadium? Again no unless he is asked to pay.

Bottom line he won't have much of an impact in my humble opinion.

JonO
10-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Will he up the city usage? Maybe... But again this is something that dollars from MLSE can easily fix.
I said it earlier, but I believe this is a money losing venture so I'm not sure he will. I'm also not sure he can. I'll bet there was some agreement between the city and MLSE when the bubble was moved to Lamport

menefreghista
10-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Will he be a hindrance to the plans for a training ground academy? No, but he won't help either.

Of course he won't have any say, its going to be in a 905 municipality.

And BMO makes a ton of cash.

How much money does BMO Field really make for the City of Toronto? Everybody keeps saying its a lot of money, but I wonder if its really that much.

Cashcleaner
10-28-2010, 09:33 AM
^ I don't believe BMO Field makes a lot for the city. I know they get a cut of concessions and I think some of the ticket sales, but I doubt it's a big money maker for them. I would imagine that a game at BMO Field nets the city less than they'll get for trade shows or conventions at the Direct Energy Centre.

menefreghista
10-28-2010, 09:49 AM
^ I don't believe BMO Field makes a lot for the city. I know they get a cut of concessions and I think some of the ticket sales, but I doubt it's a big money maker for them. I would imagine that a game at BMO Field nets the city less than they'll get for trade shows or conventions at the Direct Energy Centre.

Thanks. This is pretty much what I figured.

Of course it still beats losing money.

H Bomb
10-28-2010, 02:35 PM
^^ You're crazy :) But no not many young people voted for ford, because he's a dinosaur. There's a great zone chart going around today proving how Rob Ford doesnt represent Toronto at all, and only the surrounding suburbs. This may end up changing plans for the academy/training centre location....but maybe not, depends on how far away it is (my assumption was oakville)

Fingers crossed he never has anything to do with us, and even more so fingers crossed that he never puts on a jersey....cause it'd look bad....cause hes fat....

Suds
10-28-2010, 04:18 PM
^^ You're crazy :) But no not many young people voted for ford, because he's a dinosaur. There's a great zone chart going around today proving how Rob Ford doesnt represent Toronto at all, and only the surrounding suburbs. This may end up changing plans for the academy/training centre location....but maybe not, depends on how far away it is (my assumption was oakville)

Fingers crossed he never has anything to do with us, and even more so fingers crossed that he never puts on a jersey....cause it'd look bad....cause hes fat....

that's because "young people" have not been ripped off by the tax man long enough ... give them a couple decades, they'll come around :D

rocker
10-28-2010, 04:41 PM
that's because "young people" have not been ripped off by the tax man long enough ... give them a couple decades, they'll come around :D

my theory is that the younger population is just more highly educated than the older generation voting for Rob Ford ;)

Suds
10-28-2010, 04:42 PM
my theory is that the younger population is just more highly educated than the older generation voting for Rob Ford ;)

touche

Cashcleaner
10-28-2010, 05:04 PM

But apparently it's cool for a mayor like Miller to focus almost exclusively on the interests of the downtown core to the detriment of the surrounding boroughs.

Hypocrisy at it's finest! :thumbsup:

H Bomb
10-28-2010, 05:14 PM
But apparently it's cool for a mayor like Miller to focus almost exclusively on the interests of the downtown core to the detriment of the surrounding boroughs.

Hypocrisy at it's finest! :thumbsup:

No man, both sides should be represented. The megacity is two different places. Its shouldn't be a situation of "it's our turn now", it should be Demalgamation!!!! (<- new word)

Beach_Red
10-28-2010, 05:21 PM
No man, both sides should be represented. The megacity is two different places. Its shouldn't be a situation of "it's our turn now", it should be Demalgamation!!!! (<- new word)

Isn't the mayor just one vote on council, though? Isn't that the excuse they've all used for not getting anything done?

I read an interesting article about Ford that mentioned because of his football coaching he's the only one of the candidates who's ever had a conversation with anyone under 20.

nfitz
10-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Well the cynic would say that if you get a downtown relief line running, you simply don't need them.... though neither Ford nor any other mayoral candidate promised or even mentioned a downtown relief line. The province promised it by 2033.

It could certainly benefit TFC, as there's a possibility of a subway station nearby BMO Field; but I don't think it has anything to do with Ford.

Cashcleaner
10-28-2010, 06:42 PM

M'eh. A lot of Torontonians are starting to sound like Quebec. A little unity doesn't hurt now and then.

H Bomb
10-29-2010, 07:29 AM
Well i guess...but unity when one massive group of people easily recognized by their region live a different lifestyle and have different needs than an equally large group of people also easily recognized by their region then there is no reason to force those two groups together....especially when you look at the voting trends and they perfectly map out the old city. It's a no brainer. I dont want to unify with people that me and the rest of the majority in my city dont agree with....at all.....TFC is great.

Beach_Red
10-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Well i guess...but unity when one massive group of people easily recognized by their region live a different lifestyle and have different needs than an equally large group of people also easily recognized by their region then there is no reason to force those two groups together....especially when you look at the voting trends and they perfectly map out the old city. It's a no brainer. I dont want to unify with people that me and the rest of the majority in my city dont agree with....at all.....TFC is great.

He's right, you sound like every Quebec politician I heard growing up in Montreal :D

fetajr
10-29-2010, 08:44 AM
With Rob Ford there will never be a Gravy Train coming to pick us up at the right time after the game

H Bomb
10-29-2010, 08:44 AM
:D yeah yeah yeah....there are people in Canada who dont take offense to being called "quebecers" ya know!! (notice the anglaphile spelling)

but seriously, this is such an obvious division..."stop complaining" is no way for democracy to work....it's about representation and not a sport....of course it's played as a sport because most of us are very very bored, but it shouldnt be.....tfctfctfc

Oldtimer
10-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Please keep this thread on topic. It's only discussing Rob Ford's effect on TFC.

For members, there is a general "Rob Ford" thread in the Off Topic section.

ballerz
10-29-2010, 12:42 PM
I like to separate my football from politics.

First, MLSE has made enough money off our backs to put in a grass pitch with their own money. We also made enough profit for them to go to the City and offer to build them 10 plastic pitches across the GTA so that they can keep BMO for TFC only. The City's approval last year would have been so much simpler had MLSE show up at the table with more cash...but they didn't because they want to pay the bare minimum. Luckily, everything went well for the club.

Also, Rob Ford has not shown he is anti TFC or pro Argo. He just doesn't want politicians to meddle in private corporation's affairs and as a citizen of Toronto, I am all for this. Ford volunteered to coach high school football and has donated $20,000 of his personal wealth to help equip high school football teams. I don't see how that translate to the Argos having some sort of advantage with him in the mayor's chair.

There will also be less disruptions to TFC games due to municipal worker strikes potentially closing the CNE grounds, or wildcat strikes from the TTC.

Seems like a lot of RPBs are delusional lefties fearing that Toronto will actually become a better city, or the same shitty city without wasting as much resources.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-29-2010, 12:53 PM
You lost all clout in that argument in that last sentence

ballerz
10-29-2010, 12:59 PM
You lost all clout in that argument in that last sentence

Yes, that was a pure political statement base on my observation of this thread. But it is clearly disconnected from the rest of my argument.

Belfast_Boy
10-29-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm scared. he likes pointyball and hates traffic. we have a round ball and games cause traffic. BMO will be closed soon and be turned into a huge cruller factory!

TFC07
10-29-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm scared. he likes pointyball and hates traffic. we have a round ball and games cause traffic. BMO will be closed soon and be turned into a huge cruller factory!

LMAO! well played.

ag futbol
10-29-2010, 04:34 PM
... though neither Ford nor any other mayoral candidate promised or even mentioned a downtown relief line. The province promised it by 2033.

It could certainly benefit TFC, as there's a possibility of a subway station nearby BMO Field; but I don't think it has anything to do with Ford.
Sarah Thompson had one in her plan, but she's about as qualified to run for Mayor as Michael Jackson would be to manage an after school program.

It's an incredibly expensive project. It would require massive amounts of money from everyone involved. I don't blame most candidates for keeping it out of their platform, but we're really just delaying the inevitable.

ag futbol
10-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Yes, that was a pure political statement base on my observation of this thread. But it is clearly disconnected from the rest of my argument.
But that's the problem with politics these days, we've all degraded to calling each other names and being right at all costs, rather than searching for the truth. That's not to say I think what you've posted is wrong (I agree with some of it) but why bother calling everyone a bunch of lefties? There are certainly plenty of delusional people to go around on each end of the spectrum.

The end effect here is that Politicians continue to pick up wedge issues to split votes and "be popular" when they should be doing things for the greater good of society.

Half the world is swimming in debt but there is little to no political will to cut social programs or raise taxes to balance the books. So we continue to head down the path towards a much worse outcome because getting votes and telling people what they want to hear plays out better than the truth.

MartinUtd
10-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Hear hear.

Anyone who thinks I started this thread as some way to take a dig at Ford is simply blinded by their own partisan tribalism. I see this garbage all the time on Reddit. All I wanted to do was start a discussion on what the new mayor means to our team given the cozy relationship we've had (as TFC supporters) with the past mayor. Being a dweller of the 519 region I figured this would be a good place to tap for more local opinions.

nfitz
10-29-2010, 08:49 PM
The bottom line is that it will have very little impact.

Heart of Stone
10-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Rob Ford was at the Argo game last night...

GuelphStorm2007
10-31-2010, 09:31 AM
I honestly think Mr Ford has more important priorties than TFC right now.

Boondaddy
10-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Because crushing the urban art scene is what makes world class cities great. :rolleyes:
He's an ass.

But staying on the topic of soccer,
One must keep in mind that if he wants to make life difficult for TFC,
Then that means taking on MLSE... and I'm sure they have some political strength in this city.

Art is all fine and dandy, if you WANNA LIVE IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!

dow117
10-31-2010, 08:39 PM
Art is all fine and dandy, if you WANNA LIVE IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!

Spoken like a true Fordite - what about the terrible graffiti problem in the city as well ??? - boor

spot-on
10-31-2010, 09:35 PM
When art is suppressed, it usually gets better.

This should be interesting.

Stugatzo
11-01-2010, 10:24 AM

All paid for by him as he will continue to do.

Stugatzo
11-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I like to separate my football from politics.

First, MLSE has made enough money off our backs to put in a grass pitch with their own money. We also made enough profit for them to go to the City and offer to build them 10 plastic pitches across the GTA so that they can keep BMO for TFC only. The City's approval last year would have been so much simpler had MLSE show up at the table with more cash...but they didn't because they want to pay the bare minimum. Luckily, everything went well for the club.

Also, Rob Ford has not shown he is anti TFC or pro Argo. He just doesn't want politicians to meddle in private corporation's affairs and as a citizen of Toronto, I am all for this. Ford volunteered to coach high school football and has donated $20,000 of his personal wealth to help equip high school football teams. I don't see how that translate to the Argos having some sort of advantage with him in the mayor's chair.

There will also be less disruptions to TFC games due to municipal worker strikes potentially closing the CNE grounds, or wildcat strikes from the TTC.

Seems like a lot of RPBs are delusional lefties fearing that Toronto will actually become a better city, or the same shitty city without wasting as much resources.

Now who's delusional???

JonO
11-01-2010, 10:26 AM
All paid for by him as he will continue to do.
So he has poor judgement too? :lol:

drewski
11-03-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm not a Ford fan in the least, but just because somebody likes American football doesn't mean they are anti-association football.

In general, I think the make-up of council will have more of an effect on TFC/BMO then the mayor alone.

Commie Red
11-03-2010, 02:59 PM

God, I was playing the devil's advocate to a friend yesterday and I was arguing that the people who voted for Ford weren't necessarily stupid just angry and confused. I guess you proved me wrong.

ensco
11-03-2010, 03:08 PM
It means we can get on with the business of renaming the stadium Miller Field or similar. (I know there's one of those in Milwaukee, don't care)

Anybody who sees Miller in a beer line at a game needs to buy his beverage for him. TFC could not have happened without him.

(For anyone who says you could say the same thing about MLSE, spare me. Miller did it because he believed, it was nothing but a hassle for him. MLSE did it as a business decision.)

Carts
11-03-2010, 03:19 PM
All I wanted to do was start a discussion on what the new mayor means to our team given the cozy relationship we've had (as TFC supporters) with the past mayor. Being a dweller of the 519 region I figured this would be a good place to tap for more local opinions.

Unfortunately, when it comes to politics - that probably will never happen...

People have strong beliefs, and are "too passionate" at times - as that passion gets in the way of a discussion you were looking to start...

And in saying that I'll give my two cents on the matter... LOL

TFC will not have as close a relationship with Mayor Ford as we did with Mayor Miller. Mayor Miller was a huge fan, great supporter, and a in a way a pioneer of TFC & MLS in Toronto...

However, it seems Mayor Ford is a 'sports enthusiast' and sees the benefits of sports at a minor level (his coaching High School football being an example)... I have often found that sports enthusiasts are often across the board - not for their love of each game, but for their feelings on what "sports" brings to communities etc...

Mayor Ford may not love footy or TFC like Mayor Miller does - but I think he'll see the benefit in having, and supporting from a political level, TFC...

From tax dollar revenue, to city pride in hopefully building a winner and bringing a championship - I don't see Mayor Ford going out of his way to undue any of the hard work and accomplishments Mayor Miller & TFC have made over the last 4-5 years...

The biggest concern I could see people having is keeping BMO Field "sacred ground" in terms of football. From a 'dollars and pennies' standpoint, having the Argos move in probably makes sense to money people. But from a sport standpoint, fan standpoint, supporter standpoint etc it does not obviously. We need city hall to know - and to be honest, I think Mayor Miller will give him the heads up about that! :)

Carts...

James Oliphant
11-03-2010, 07:58 PM

http://www.google.ca/search?q="this+is+a+sucker+stadium" (http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22this+is+a+sucker+stadium%22)

rocker
11-03-2010, 08:07 PM
when Rob Ford said about BMO Field that "we are going to lose our shirts" did he mean they were gonna lose money, or take their shirts off for the TFC!?! ;)