PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday,Oct.26

denime
10-26-2010, 05:14 AM
Mornin'

New GM is right under Toronto FC's nose (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/johnmolinaro/2010/10/new-gm-is-right-under-toronto-fcs-nose.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Wull
10-26-2010, 06:18 AM
mornin' D

if we end up with cochrane I'm going to be pissed. Also, did john forget it was the league that suggested mo to us?

v00d00daddy
10-26-2010, 06:22 AM
What a shame. I like John Molinaro's pieces and I think he's a good writer but I couldn't disagree more.

I swear this feels like TFC are turning into the Leafs.

If we get Cochrane/Brennan and Daso as our GM and coach next year, regardless of our results...I'll be done as a supporter.

5 years into and we're still talking about bush league options. I didn't think it was possible.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-26-2010, 06:47 AM
if we end up with cochrane I'm going to be pissed. Also, did john forget it was the league that suggested mo to us?

yep absolutely.

Technorgasm
10-26-2010, 06:58 AM
I am of the mind, and I dont think I am alone here that we need somoen based in North american Soccer, and can moveinto the job with as little friction and as much education in MLS as possible.

Steve Nicol.

Fort York Redcoat
10-26-2010, 06:59 AM
I was aghast when one of the first things I heard at the town hall was that that team is going to take us into the next season. I assumed their job was to help caretaker while FO got their next manager with enough time for him to make the decisions to change this team around and let them gel.

So this is how they inspire our trust? Two n00bs at the helm? To replace them sometime into next season is hamstringing the new hire.

Lots to proove...

H Bomb
10-26-2010, 07:07 AM
I am of the mind, and I dont think I am alone here that we need somoen based in North american Soccer, .

Agreed, WE NEED A SAMOAN!!!!

wzhxvy
10-26-2010, 07:16 AM
Earl Cochrane...no way. But thanks John for aiming high and really doing some thorough research about the candidate pool.

Eastend
10-26-2010, 07:25 AM
I'm holding my breath that they will make the right decision. Yes, holding.

kdzb
10-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Of Course this news comes after people have renewed their tix.
If Earl Cochrane = MG and Daso = Coach, then TFC is not improving and MLSE are still taking us for a ride.:facepalm:

Detroit_TFC
10-26-2010, 08:08 AM
How we will know if somebody is good or bad, considering it takes two or three seasons to honestly determine that. Nobody's ever made it that long here.

Might as well get a manager from Kelly Services and pay them by the hour.

Beach_Red
10-26-2010, 08:26 AM
mornin' D

But it was just a suggestion, they didn't have to take it. The league probably made suggestions to Seattle, too, but instead they hired Sigi from Columbus, got hit with a tampering charge and paid the fine. And then signed a DP.

It's really time to stop passing the buck and making excuses. That these guys claim to be still learning is a joke.

Wull
10-26-2010, 08:30 AM
But it was just a suggestion, they didn't have to take it. The league probably made suggestions to Seattle, too, but instead they hired Sigi from Columbus, got hit with a tampering charge and paid the fine. And then signed a DP.

It's really time to stop passing the buck and making excuses. That these guys claim to be still learning is a joke.

I'm not making excuses, I'm saying having the league involved in the search isn't necessarily a good thing given previous results

Chevy
10-26-2010, 08:34 AM
How we will know if somebody is good or bad, considering it takes two or three seasons to honestly determine that. Nobody's ever made it that long here.

Might as well get a manager from Kelly Services and pay them by the hour.

Agreed, but the key here is to hire someone who is already "good". Hopefully this is what the consultant will accomplish.

JonO
10-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Of Course this news comes after people have renewed their tix.
This is not news. This is Molinaro's opinion. In fact the article outright says
One source recently told CBCSports.ca that MLSE chief operating officer Tom Anselmi wants a "big name" to fill the GM position.

Suds
10-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Maybe future GM. No doubt Earl Cochrane is dedicated, passionate, and knowledgeable.

But I think this is another case where TFC would be wise to continue to groom Earl for the future. But who knows if Earl will want to wait however long for his shot??

Does anyone know if Earl has given up his duties around the academy program?

If not, I'd like to see him continue in that role while apprenticing under another proven GM for a number of years.

rocker
10-26-2010, 09:05 AM
the thing is, when you hire someone who's new to the business, then they have an built-in excuse: "They're learning... we need patience."

Now, it can work (look at RSL.. Legerway and Kreis had zero experience before they took over, and look how good things are there now).

But TFC doesn't have 3 years to see if Earl Cochrane and Daso really know what they're doing. RSL could be patient... they were building a new stadium and fans weren't as rabid. But what if Cochrane and Daso fail? Or what if they're just average?

As I've said before, TFC needs to hire two guys who have experimented and learned elsewhere, and whose previous work has been successful. Then there's no built-in excuse. And successful people will be decisive.. they know exactly what has worked for them before, and what they need now. Kinnear or Nicol would fit that bill.

Roogsy
10-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Does anyone know if Earl has given up his duties around the academy program?

I don't believe so although his work with the first team is taking up the bulk of his time.

johnmolinaro
10-26-2010, 09:15 AM
For the record, it's just my opinion - not saying that Earl's hiring is imminent.

Also, I don't think Dasovic should get the coaching job. I think they should go outside the organization and find someone new. Again, just my opinion.

John

H Bomb
10-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Hey john. you gotta talk louder when you're on the footy show. otherwise good work...

Fort York Redcoat
10-26-2010, 09:26 AM
^yep bring your own mic cover thing and get intimate with it. Can't hear your knowledge. But yeah, love the show.

Beach_Red
10-26-2010, 09:32 AM
the thing is, when you hire someone who's new to the business, then they have an built-in excuse: "They're learning... we need patience."

Right, which ever should have been an acceptable excuse. Still, if they want to keep the guys they've got, that coul work out, as you say, but then they really should hire a president who knows soccer.

That article from Paul James that Pookie mentioned comparing Vancouver and TFC's front offices said something about, who does Mo talk things over with? Who did he consult with, it really isn't a one man job? Anselmi? Paulie B? His agent?

Whoever TFC get to run the team will also have to deal with MLSE - no matter how much they say they won't meddle, the threat of firing is always hanging over the GM and coach and in this case the final decision on that is being made by someone who admits he doesn't know anything about the sport and is, "still learning."

James17930
10-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Jürgen Klinsmann!! :)

Wouldn't that be something?

wzhxvy
10-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Btw, no offence intended but the absolute least of my worries is how Earl Cochrane feels about this and his future with the club. If he wants to stay and learn from someone experienced, great...if not, he can go and have his pick of MLSE clubs just waiting to hire him as GM...cmon people...seriously...seriously.

Darlofletch
10-26-2010, 09:47 AM

Now, it can work (look at RSL.. Legerway and Kreis had zero experience before they took over, and look how good things are there now).

But TFC doesn't have 3 years to see if Earl Cochrane and Daso really know what they're doing. RSL could be patient... they were building a new stadium and fans weren't as rabid. But what if Cochrane and Daso fail? Or what if they're just average?

As I've said before, TFC needs to hire two guys who have experimented and learned elsewhere, and whose previous work has been successful. Then there's no built-in excuse. And successful people will be decisive.. they know exactly what has worked for them before, and what they need now. Kinnear or Nicol would fit that bill.

I'd say that's what the pre-emptive price freeze for 2012 is all about, giving the new guy a year to struggle and slowly build something, if we get pissed off, then they can point to the price freeze and beg for patience from us.

So I think next year could be a shitshow, but to me it's an encouraging sign, the front office at least is committing to a rebuilding year so it can be done right. Whether it will be done right is another question, whether they'll stick with that or just fire the guy after the first losing streak is another question, whether the fans will remain patient is another question again, but for me the price freeze isn't about being sorry for what happened, it's being sorry for what's about to happen, ie we won't compete next year.

I'm fairly happy with that, I want stability with someone competent, so I'll take a year for that to happen, I'm not sure everyone else will though.

and earl/jimmy and daso? no thanks.

[NBF]
10-26-2010, 10:00 AM
L-O-L @ JOHN MOLINARO

This must be John Molinaro's version of the GEICO commercial,

"A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush".
JdfeW2h8Qo4

from GoEnglish.com Idioms:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush means that it is better to keep what you have than to give it up and try to get something better. Example: "Dan has asked me to go to a party with him. What if my boyfriend finds out? I don't know if I should go." Reply: "Don't go. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

The thing that you already have is a bird in the hand; the things you want but don't have are two (birds) in the bush. You should not risk losing what you have by trying to get something that you don't have. Example: "I've been offered $250 for my stereo. Should I take it, or wait for a better offer?" Reply: "Take the $250. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush means that we should be happy with what we have and not risk losing it by being greedy and trying to get more.

mdc 77
10-26-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm curious why people are so against Earl Cochrane? He has been around the league, involved with some top programs that we should be aiming to model ourselves after. e.g D.C. United. His track record is pretty solid, i just don't get why people would be so against him.

rocker
10-26-2010, 10:07 AM
NBF... what the hell !?!?

rocker
10-26-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm curious why people are so against Earl Cochrane? He has been around the league, involved with some top programs that we should be aiming to model ourselves after. e.g D.C. United. His track record is pretty solid, i just don't get why people would be so against him.

well, he hasn't actually held a similar job before... until now, when he has nothing to do.
Inexperience is a major issue for someone in such an important job.

I thought he was a media relations guy at DC United and the CSA? Nothing to do with being a GM.

scooter
10-26-2010, 10:08 AM
mornin d

earl cochrane is still with acadamy but he has been doing both jobs

JonO
10-26-2010, 10:13 AM
I think it's really going to depend on the combo of coach/GM. Would anyone be opposed to a Nicol/Cochrane combination? Obviously, I have no idea if Nicol would be open to that, but would it make a difference if we had a coach with a pedigree?

TFCRegina
10-26-2010, 10:30 AM
I think Earl should be involved in management, not just of the Academy but of the first team. He's not going to get more experience unless he's involved.

That being said, he shouldn't be the Director of Soccer (or whatever they're calling it these days). He should be involved though.

[NBF]
10-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Maybe if John MO-linaro is right we should hire Earl Cochrane to be the next GM and hire the media relations person now to be the academy general manager or whatever it is that Cochrane does which has nothing to do with running a team. I believe Mo was a very good at media relations person as well, must be a prerequisite for GM to be able to pretend to be doing your job and suck hard as well.

Wull
10-26-2010, 10:45 AM
I don't see what others seem to see in nicol, can someone explain it to me?

Mark in Ottawa
10-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Isn't a part of the problem that MLS is a league with many league imposed rules and restrictions that the majority of other leagues do not have?

Prospective managers/coaches coming from outside of MLS may be frustrated with the workings of MLS and the inability to perform at their best (John Carver rings a bell here).

jloome
10-26-2010, 11:21 AM
I don't see what others seem to see in nicol, can someone explain it to me?

Been to the finals four times, despite less front-office financial support than any other club in the league. Developed a staff that has since risen in the ranks across the league and into other leagues. Recognized Taylor Twellman, Shalrie Joseph, as major talents. Understood the need to bring in support staff from the U.S college system. Scouts well outside the league. Vastly personally experienced as a former star defender for Liverpool.

Mmmmm, anything else? Hasn't won the cup. Sure as shit must want one by now, though, after all these years in pointyball stadium and four finals.

Beach_Red
10-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Been to the finals four times, despite less front-office financial support than any other club in the league. Developed a staff that has since risen in the ranks across the league and into other leagues. Recognized Taylor Twellman, Shalrie Joseph, as major talents. Understood the need to bring in support staff from the U.S college system. Scouts well outside the league. Vastly personally experienced as a former star defender for Liverpool.

Mmmmm, anything else? Hasn't won the cup. Sure as shit must want one by now, though, after all these years in pointyball stadium and four finals.

Are you sure about that? By "support" do you mean money spent on players or on assistants and scouts and infrastructure?

He may the perfect guy to deal with MLSE (who may be cheaper than Kraft but slicker at not showing it and who may actually attach a lot of strings to the money that is spent).

New England have been getting steadily worse since TFC joined the league, finishing behind TFC this year, so he may very well want out.

But if he comes to Toronto, I hope he can work out a deal closer to what Brian Burke has and not like what Mo had. Other teams may make better offers - not just ssalary, but in other things, too.

It may depend on what the consultant tells them because it seems unlikely MLSE will look much past NE's record form the past four years. Afterall, they admit themseves they're just learning the business and don't know that much about it ;).

rocker
10-26-2010, 11:35 AM
jloome -- not to mention doing it on Field Turf, which supporters on here said contributed to injuries on TFC. He had one season (2007?) where the team had almost no injuries to anyone important.

I like Nicol... his teams play a nice style. He seems to get more out of nobody players than anyone else in the league.

He's had some probs lately, but it must hurt when you lose one of the greatest scorers in the history of MLS (Twellman) and your number one keeper (Reis) and your best midfielder goes into drug rehab (Joseph).

Also seems to build camaraderie on teams and they play hard for him.

MLSE (who may be cheaper than Kraft but slicker at not showing it and who may actually attach a lot of strings to the money that is spent).

Kraft is cheaper than MLSE... ask NE fans. I was reading that they didn't even use up their full cap at one point, even though it's paid for by the league! Kraft is also seen as one of the guys holding the league back from moving towards the DP era, perhaps cuz he blew a lot of cash as an early investor. He hasn't signed a DP yet either.... TFC has screwed up the DP selection, but they've spent 3 million or so more than Kraft has on DPs.

Roogsy
10-26-2010, 11:38 AM
I like Nicol... his teams play a nice style. He seems to get more out of nobody players than anyone else in the league.

He's had some probs lately, but it must hurt when you lose one of the greatest scorers in the history of MLS (Twellman) and your number one keeper (Reis) and your best midfielder goes into drug rehab (Joseph).

Also seems to build camaraderie on teams and they play hard for him.

Agreed on all counts.

AND he helped developed some notable MLS stars like Clint Dempsey, Pat Noonan and Jay Heaps and still succeeded while losing them at various points.

Wagner
10-26-2010, 11:47 AM
I am of the mind, and I dont think I am alone here that we need somoen based in North american Soccer, and can moveinto the job with as little friction and as much education in MLS as possible.

Steve Nicol.

I think TFC would grab him if they could.

Dbl_D
10-26-2010, 12:03 PM
I think TFC would grab him if they could.

but it will be tough if he's tapped to lead the US mens team... no?

Azerban
10-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Jürgen Klinsmann!! :)

Wouldn't that be something?

Wouldn't it?

rocker
10-26-2010, 12:40 PM
but it will be tough if he's tapped to lead the US mens team... no?

Steve Nicol was tapped to lead the US men's team?

Bradley got a contract extension after the USSF couldn't work things out with Klinnsman. So Bradley has the US team until at least after the next Gold Cup.

Beach_Red
10-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Kraft is cheaper than MLSE... ask NE fans. I was reading that they didn't even use up their full cap at one point, even though it's paid for by the league! Kraft is also seen as one of the guys holding the league back from moving towards the DP era, perhaps cuz he blew a lot of cash as an early investor. He hasn't signed a DP yet either.... TFC has screwed up the DP selection, but they've spent 3 million or so more than Kraft has on DPs.

I don't disagree, but NE fans aren't the best place to ask as I doubt any of them have any idea how MLSE spends its money. In fact, we don't even know how MLSE really spend its money apart from what gets listed from the players' union. Do we have any idea how much the managers are paid? How much the rest of the staff is paid?

Sure, once the team had sold out the stadium for a couple of years and made money off the Edu sale we got grass and a Canadian DP. Will the next manager have to make any moves like that before he can sign another DP?

Maybe MLSE is way better to deal with than Kraft - of course, he has won a couple of Super Bowls so he does know something about running a sports team.

I still get the feeling that it's better to have a buffer between MLSE and the team.

ag futbol
10-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Nicol might well be the MLS GM of the past rather than the one of the future.

As for this issue that always comes up about knowing the rules. I think people get a little too caught up in this.

Every league in existence has rules. MLS has different rules but there is nothing so unique about them that a competent professional couldn't understand them. Especially considering that he'll have enough staff to complement him in other areas.

I'll take someone who is a better judge of talent first.

Knowing the NCAA draft? That gets less important every year considering the # of teams keeps diluting the talent pool and the quality coming out is never that deep.

sidvan
10-26-2010, 01:42 PM
FYI email today
Hey ____
We've created something really special that we'd like you to check out.
Starting today, we're launching the Supporters' Kit Design contest. Knowing how much you love this club, we teamed up with adidas over the summer to come up with a way to give you the chance to influence the team's kit! http://image.mlsefanmail.com/lib/fed316717160047c/m/1/Supporters+Kit.JPG (http://click.mlsefanmail.com/?qs=2bcbcdf5a93b0f01a2064453c5d3c06ac2f14463d789d7 ba36a818a673c72aed)
We're giving you the creative reigns to design our away Kit for the 2012 season, which will be known as the Supporters' Kit. You can design the shirt, shorts and socks that the boys will wear. We're the first sports team to launch anything like this, so here's your chance to help us make history.
You can submit your designs until Monday, November 22, and then the voting stage begins. A judging panel at Toronto FC will select the top 5 kits, and starting Friday, November 26, you can vote for your favourite. The Grand Prize winner will be announced at the 2011 Home Opener, and will receive the first official prototype of their kit signed by the entire Toronto FC squad.
Ready to get started? Click here (http://click.mlsefanmail.com/?qs=2bcbcdf5a93b0f014265f5dcb6ca324b06340ebcf6dc89 36116597483f81eee8) to design a jersey.
Need some inspiration or someone to teach you how to create it? Click here (http://click.mlsefanmail.com/?qs=2bcbcdf5a93b0f012ba8354750e9e591c1a0b7f53c9acd 229d749c67729d1c35) to let Dan Gargan walk you through it.
Thank you for helping us build this club - we can't wait to see what you can come up with.
Have fun!
Toronto FC
// All For One

James17930
10-26-2010, 11:00 PM
^ Wow -- that is pretty cool.

As to Nicol -- I don't know if he'd fit here. He seems like a 'locker-room screamer,' and as we learned from Preki, our boys are just too delicate for that.