PDA

View Full Version : I have decided NOT to renew. Here's why:

superstar1976
10-25-2010, 01:10 PM
1) I feel gouged not only with the season ticket prices, but also with the prices of the game day experience just to simply have a drink or eat (yes I know, the alternative is eat before you come)

2) On-field product. Poor, has been for 4 years, and given who the ownership is I'm not sure if they are capable of making it better than average.

3) Respect. As an SSH, I don't feel respected by ML$E and if you compare the SSH packages across the league, you will see that we are being screwed royally. I guess this ties in to point #1, because I'm talking in terms of cost.

4) Transportation. We are on the freakin go-line and get 20k at each game, is that not worth having a dedicated train right after the game????

5) Waiting list. I think the waiting list is a farce and I think it will be proven this coming season. I know 4 people who are not renewing their seasons either, and I see the sentiment is growing including recent articles in the paper feeding off this.

6) Accessibility of tickets. It will be easy, why committ to the entire season when scalpers were giving away tickets last year? Evidenced by the many games with the place half to 3/4 full, interest is fading likely because of the price for the quality product (cheaper to see Man United, how is this possible???)

I will still be a fan, just not a season ticket holder, unless my rep pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

Oblio2
10-25-2010, 01:12 PM
I think you are going to get a lot of comments, mostly derisory...but I for one applaud you.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-25-2010, 01:15 PM
yawn.
not sure what youre expecting your rept to do.
They dont set the prices etc.

Roogsy
10-25-2010, 01:18 PM
These seem to be legitimate reasons not to renew. It's a personal choice for everyone. Nobody should give you grief about how you spend your own money.

Fort York Redcoat
10-25-2010, 01:23 PM
I like this thread. The excuse/reason thread. All who want to justify why they're not renewing are home. I don't feel the need to deride you or come back this thread again. Enjoy.

JonO
10-25-2010, 01:27 PM
I agree with 1-3 and 5-6. I have decided to give them a year or two more to get their act together. However, I am splitting with a friend, so they lost 2 season seats as a result.

With respect to #4, I don't know what MLSE can do to get a GO train scheduled. Not sure there's much possible

Oldtimer
10-25-2010, 01:27 PM
It's your choice. Only you can make it.

Nodoubtguy
10-25-2010, 01:28 PM
do we need an individual thread for everyone who doesn't renew to justify it?

Oldtimer
10-25-2010, 01:30 PM

I checked. This is actually the first thread just on the subject of renewing.

Anyone who wants to give their reasons for not renewing, place them in this thread!

woolly
10-25-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm not renewing...

Pretty much agree with everything that was posted originally, plus business travel means that I'll now be away for a significant number of the mid-week games, so it's just not worth the hassle.

Bluenose13
10-25-2010, 01:33 PM
do we need an individual thread for everyone who doesn't renew to justify it?Agreed......Let's keep the moaning to one thread & merge it all in here.

flatpicker
10-25-2010, 01:35 PM
You gotta do what you feel is right... so I understand your decision.

Yes, being a TFC fan is much more expensive than many other MLS markets.
Like it or not, Anselmi's comment about "supply and demand" is bang on.
Sport is a business and, more often than not, is run with financial gains as a prime motivator.

Other MLS clubs that have decent support and attendance may not have the same success if they charged close to what TFC does. So I am guessing that those teams also consider the "supply and demand" viewpoint. But because we here in Toronto continue to pay the asking price, this is what we get. The major difference though is that other clubs don't seem to test the fans patience (and wallets) the way TFC does, and that is why the recent events and protests occurred.

So, we can be jealous of a team like Seattle,
But I'm sure the club would charge Sounders fans more if they knew that 36,000 would still show up.

It's about balance... other teams have it, and Toronto tipped the scales and is now trying to steady itself once again.
But expecting fans across the league to all pay the same is unreasonable from a business point of view.

I wish it were otherwise.

Parkdale
10-25-2010, 01:36 PM
and this one does present listed points, which is WAY better than just the simple "fuck those guys" posts.

arbogast
10-25-2010, 01:39 PM
1) I feel gouged not only with the season ticket prices, but also with the prices of the game day experience just to simply have a drink or eat (yes I know, the alternative is eat before you come)

2) On-field product. Poor, has been for 4 years, and given who the ownership is I'm not sure if they are capable of making it better than average.

3) Respect. As an SSH, I don't feel respected by ML$E and if you compare the SSH packages across the league, you will see that we are being screwed royally. I guess this ties in to point #1, because I'm talking in terms of cost.

4) Transportation. We are on the freakin go-line and get 20k at each game, is that not worth having a dedicated train right after the game????

5) Waiting list. I think the waiting list is a farce and I think it will be proven this coming season. I know 4 people who are not renewing their seasons either, and I see the sentiment is growing including recent articles in the paper feeding off this.

6) Accessibility of tickets. It will be easy, why committ to the entire season when scalpers were giving away tickets last year? Evidenced by the many games with the place half to 3/4 full, interest is fading likely because of the price for the quality product (cheaper to see Man United, how is this possible???)

I will still be a fan, just not a season ticket holder, unless my rep pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

I respect your choice to not renew, as it is your personal decision about how you spend your cash. However, I hilited a complaint I've heard a lot lately and that's the problem with the Go Train schedule. I'm sorry but if someone chooses to live in the burbs or the sticks, then you live and die by the Go Train or Gardiner traffic. Don't complain. You made the choice of where you live.

james
10-25-2010, 01:42 PM
i agree pretty much with everything he said. THe one that gets me quite mad is we do spend more money on tickets then i think any other team in MLS yet we havent even made the playoffs or have a stadium as nice as some of the other teams such as NY or LA.

The only thing that can be a bit mis leading is the part that says TFC cost more then Man U games. Well thats true and not true, in the way that there cheapest tickets i think are twice as high as are cheapest tickets however are exspensive tickets are more then Man U exspensive tickets. None the less all of our tickets should be less then Man U games thats for sure i mean look at the difference in quality on the field.

james
10-25-2010, 01:49 PM
I respect your choice to not renew, as it is your personal decision about how you spend your cash. However, I hilited a complaint I've heard a lot lately and that's the problem with the Go Train schedule. I'm sorry but if someone chooses to live in the burbs or the sticks, then you live and die by the Go Train or Gardiner traffic. Don't complain. You made the choice of where you live.

in terms of GO train i wouldnt go complaining to TFC about that. I take the GO train and its just brutal the fact that the train comes once an hour at any part of the day let alone when big events go on. Its laughable that the train from Mississauga a city of 700,000 people goes to Toronto a city of 2.5 million once an hour??? its a freaking joke. Or the fact that arent even reguler trains from downtown Hamilton to downtown Toronto?? just kills me when i think about it. Being in England at the moment i realized what a joke that is on how bad are transit is. But thats life living in the GTA....however i wouldnt get rid of my tickets for the transit. Its more the costs and how shit are team has been and how MLSE has treated us.

Roogsy
10-25-2010, 01:51 PM
^ Yeah, except that is not a TFC issue, that is a municipal infrastructure issue. My decision to renew or not renew will never be based on whether we have a good transit system.

Parkdale
10-25-2010, 01:52 PM
GO train issue

take the early train, come to joe's for a beer. After the game come to Joe's for another beer, then catch the later train. Problem solved!

Carts
10-25-2010, 02:26 PM
GO train issue

take the early train, come to joe's for a beer. After the game come to Joe's for another beer, then catch the later train. Problem solved!

Beer really does fix everything...!!! :drinking:

I lived in Pickering for seasons 1 & 2... Yes, the GO Train definitely makes you schedule your day around it, and can add time to your day if you want to avoid huge crowds, or missing action...

What you should do is complain to GO Transit, and tell them all the money they're missing out on not adding an extra train, each way on match days - CC the Ontario Government on that, and tell them flat out that you and 100's of others drive b/c there isn't an extra train around match times...

Carts...

Section 117
10-25-2010, 02:30 PM
To everyone that has been here from day one and is non renewing...

You will be missed

Gixmo
10-25-2010, 02:56 PM
^^^ Thanks

What I don't understand, is why those who feel the need to renew (As a personal choice) feel the need to bash those who don't renew... If you think it's a stupid decision, then keep it to yourself.

It's not the moaning/complain/excuse thread.... Grow up, Bluenose has his own thread. If you don't feel the need to deride us, or come back to the thread - What are you doing here in the first place..?

I didn't renew, as another $600 in my tickets is not justified with a wedding in a few months and a 6 hour commute every fawkin gameday.. Am I bad supporter? Or am I economically conscious..

H Bomb
10-25-2010, 02:59 PM
^^ You'er crazy for getting married, even if she's awesome :D!!!

good luck to everyone not coming back...if i know you, i hope to see you down there whenever you can. In the end it's about football and people, and lets hope those things arent lost. Later days.

Chevy
10-25-2010, 03:00 PM

+1.

It seems that every "non-renewer" spends more time on these boards than the folks coming back for next season.

OK, so you didn't renew. Good for you. I respect your decision. Now get on with your life.

Jeffro
10-25-2010, 03:04 PM
^^^ Thanks

What I don't understand, is why those who feel the need to renew (As a personal choice) feel the need to bash those who don't renew... If you think it's a stupid decision, then keep it to yourself.

It's not the moaning/complain/excuse thread.... Grow up, Bluenose has his own thread. If you don't feel the need to deride us, or come back to the thread - What are you doing here in the first place..?

I didn't renew, as another $600 in my tickets is not justified with a wedding in a few months and a 6 hour commute every fawkin gameday.. Am I bad supporter? Or am I economically conscious..

Please quote one comment that derides anyone for not renewing.

For the bolded part, why are you justifying to a message board your personal financial decisions? Nobody is saying you're a bad supporter.

BFin
10-25-2010, 04:07 PM

For the bolded part, why are you justifying to a message board your personal financial decisions? Nobody is saying you're a bad supporter.

No, that was saved for me a week ago. lol

ochos
10-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Love this post. It's disheartening as a hardcore fan to know that we'll be losing many of our brethren, but ultimately I hope it forces MLSE to consider several things:

- tickets outside of the south end are overpriced

- they've delivered a crap product for years. The SG's made this team/atmosphere what it is

- MLSE and the FO will have to work extremely hard to win back fans, and frankly they should. They owe us their jobs

mclaren
10-25-2010, 04:16 PM

I am not renewing for many of the same reasons.

mclaren
10-25-2010, 04:20 PM
To everyone that has been here from day one and is non renewing...

You will be missed

thank you sir - I will be back for games here and there and maybe for another season in the future if MLSE starts to respect its fanbase.

T0R0NT0 FC
10-25-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm not renewing. When people are giving away tickets for games, why would I give MLSE all my money up front? I'll just pick up a match here and there as I want, there are always plenty of tickets available.

Jeffro
10-25-2010, 04:33 PM
No, that was saved for me a week ago. lol

Meh, looked that up.... you're going to be upset because someone else defines "support" differently than you? It clearly hurt your feelings if you're still talking about it now. What if we just say there are different ways to support, feel better?

CretanBull
10-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Love this post. It's disheartening as a hardcore fan to know that we'll be losing many of our brethren, but ultimately I hope it forces MLSE to consider several things:

- tickets outside of the south end are overpriced

- they've delivered a crap product for years. The SG's made this team/atmosphere what it is

- MLSE and the FO will have to work extremely hard to win back fans, and frankly they should. They owe us their jobs

They're overpriced in the South end too...

Oor Wullie
10-25-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm not renewing. When people are giving away tickets for games, why would I give MLSE all my money up front? I'll just pick up a match here and there as I want, there are always plenty of tickets available.
I feel the same way, plenty of tickets available on game day's. Not renewing either.

koryo
10-25-2010, 05:02 PM
The decision to renew or not to renew is a personal one. What is accomplished by announcing it publicly?

Not accusing, just wondering.

Technorgasm
10-25-2010, 05:48 PM
how about non-renewers just keep it to their DAMNED selves?
how about that?!! huh? wouldnt that rock?

Next we'll have a slew of "I hate this group, I am leaving, and this is why" threads. . . .
circa 2007-08

Hitcho
10-25-2010, 08:54 PM

Next we'll have a slew of "I hate this group, I am leaving, and this is why" threads. . . .
circa 2007-08

In fairness, it's as legitimate a thread as the "I am renewing because..." thread, and rgardless it's a legitimate topic given what the fans have been through with ownership the last few weeks (and years!). ML$E called a series of town hall meetings because renewals were bad because the team has been run like shit while the prices keep rising. Then they announced a prize freeze, a promise to only include league and NCC games going forward and a free ticket to the home opener. They did that to get more people to renew. Has it worked? This thread will give you an insight into that. It's about as hot a topic as there is right now. And this is a forum, where people express differing views on the same subject, and the thread seems to be reasoned rather than ranted.

But yeah, bummer that ML$E has driven away inaugural fans, people who bought season tickets before it became the "cool" thing to do, just because they wanted to see some football in their home town. That really stinks in fact.

superstar1976
10-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Good replies everyone and I can handle if some people don't like when threads like this start, but I just think it fosters good discussion and believe you me, MLSE is reading.

Some good points here, but wanted to address the one about the GO Train and the "too bad so sad if you decided to live in the suburbs".

Fact is, if it isn't for the suburbs, there wouldn't be the support at the games, period. That is where a large portion of the fans are coming from.

Also, while I agree that MLSE do not run public transit, I do believe they have some influence in terms of negotiating a post game train for their fans. I do hold MLSE responsible for not making more of a public effort in this regard because it is their fans, and their game day experience that they are responsible, and making it as easy as possible to get to and from the game is MLSE's responsibility, if they want to continue having fans come to the games.

Thats how I feel about it anyways. Not all of us have the luxury of going to a bar before and after the game when we all have different levels of responsibilities.

nascarguy
10-25-2010, 10:54 PM

circa 2007-08
ok I'll make the thread but 1st I have to make a " I hate technorgasm" :drum::D:drinking:

Gixmo
10-25-2010, 10:55 PM

Jeffro.. I actually did qoute if you go back through the thread, I used the same wording. You'll find it if you look hard enough.

As for why, It has nothing to do with my personal financial situation, it's a matter of principle. On top of that, the thread title is 'Here's why'.. That's why..

So what's your problem? I answered the thread question, with my own personal situation, Hence the point of the thread...

The decision to renew is down to each individual person, for whatever reason. What we shouldn't be doing is poking our fellow members who decided to renew, for whatever reason. That's my problem.

Meh, looked that up.... you're going to be upset because someone else defines "support" differently than you? It clearly hurt your feelings if you're still talking about it now. What if we just say there are different ways to support, feel better?

Wow, Nevermind..

In fairness, it's as legitimate a thread as the "I am renewing because..." thread, and rgardless it's a legitimate topic given what the fans have been through with ownership the last few weeks (and years!). ML$E called a series of town hall meetings because renewals were bad because the team has been run like shit while the prices keep rising. Then they announced a prize freeze, a promise to only include league and NCC games going forward and a free ticket to the home opener. They did that to get more people to renew. Has it worked? This thread will give you an insight into that. It's about as hot a topic as there is right now. And this is a forum, where people express differing views on the same subject, and the thread seems to be reasoned rather than ranted.

But yeah, bummer that ML$E has driven away inaugural fans, people who bought season tickets before it became the "cool" thing to do, just because they wanted to see some football in their home town. That really stinks in fact.

Another reasonable response, Let's not slag the logic for being 'what it is'.. It does stink... Well said

BakaGaijin
10-25-2010, 11:12 PM

Yep, that's the truth of the matter.

Anselmi talks shit about supply and demand.........has Anselmi checked the tv ratings? There is no demand to watch this product on tv. Many people, myself included, bought season tickets the first week they went on sale. I thought maybe there would be 10 000 people per game max!!

I bought tickets because I want to support soccer in Canada. Just like I went to CMNT games at Varsity way before TFC. Just like my dad who took me to Blizzard games as a boy. It is people like me that MLSE is driving away.

king dave
10-25-2010, 11:19 PM
:D
KD.

king dave
10-25-2010, 11:21 PM
ok I'll make the thread but 1st I have to make a " I hate technorgasm" :drum::D:drinking:
Leave the relegated dude alone kev!:drinking:
It's not been a good year for any red team.
Except, . . . .
KD.

king dave
10-25-2010, 11:25 PM
The decision to renew or not to renew is a personal one. What is accomplished by announcing it publicly?

Not accusing, just wondering.
Totally agree J.
KD.

Wull
10-26-2010, 06:23 AM
With regard to the Go situation, if they started the game at X:45 wouldn't that allow both directions of the Go to have a reasonable waiting period?

Cashcleaner
10-26-2010, 07:16 AM
I'm not renewing.

It was hard decision to make, but in the end it was the right one for me. To be honest, I didn't go to a single game this season and only made it out to a handful in 2009. The cost just didn't add up to the benefits for me and I'm not hopeful with regards to the overall direction of the club to be perfectly honest.

So that's that. Maybe as it turns out I'm not a great supporter after all? Personally speaking, though, when you have a kid things kinda get re-prioritized. I'm still likely to attend a few away matches and watch the games on TV. There's a new bar that opened up here in Oshawa that will be showing GOLTV, so I'll likely just hit it up.

Trust me, but dropping my tickets was one of the last things I've ever wanted to do, but it just made sense for me financially and in terms of available spare time.

Hard to argue with that.

Shakes McQueen
10-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Yep, that's the truth of the matter.

Anselmi talks shit about supply and demand.........has Anselmi checked the tv ratings? There is no demand to watch this product on tv. Many people, myself included, bought season tickets the first week they went on sale. I thought maybe there would be 10 000 people per game max!!

I bought tickets because I want to support soccer in Canada. Just like I went to CMNT games at Varsity way before TFC. Just like my dad who took me to Blizzard games as a boy. It is people like me that MLSE is driving away.

Everything else you said aside - what does supply and demand of tickets have to do with television ratings?

The simple principle of supply and demand has applied to their television rights as well, which is why MLSE end up broadcasting a bunch of TFC games on an obscure subscription only MLSE-owned cable channel.

- Scott

Chevy
10-26-2010, 08:22 AM
I'm not renewing.

It was hard decision to make, but in the end it was the right one for me. To be honest, I didn't go to a single game this season and only made it out to a handful in 2009. The cost just didn't add up to the benefits for me and I'm not hopeful with regards to the overall direction of the club to be perfectly honest.

So that's that. Maybe as it turns out I'm not a great supporter after all? Personally speaking, though, when you have a kid things kinda get re-prioritized. I'm still likely to attend a few away matches and watch the games on TV. There's a new bar that opened up here in Oshawa that will be showing GOLTV, so I'll likely just hit it up.

Trust me, but dropping my tickets was one of the last things I've ever wanted to do, but it just made sense for me financially and in terms of available spare time.

Hard to argue with that.

And this was a difficult decision for you? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

rocker
10-26-2010, 08:42 AM
With regard to the Go situation, if they started the game at X:45 wouldn't that allow both directions of the Go to have a reasonable waiting period?

no, the westbound train comes at :49... that wouldn't make a difference for those going west.
games are usually about 2 hours or so in total time. So it'd be tough to make it out and through the tunnel in 4 minutes.

BTW, looking at the current GO schedules for weekends, the best times for games would be :30 starts.

The westbound GO leaves at :49 and the eastbound GO leaves at the top of the hour.

It would be tight for westbounders, but doable, to get out of the stadium by the :49. No problem for eastbounders.

BakaGaijin
10-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Everything else you said aside - what does supply and demand of tickets have to do with television ratings?

The simple principle of supply and demand has applied to their television rights as well, which is why MLSE end up broadcasting a bunch of TFC games on an obscure subscription only MLSE-owned cable channel.

- Scott

The tv ratings show that the number of people interested in the overall product is very low. The tv ratings, to some degree, represents potential season ticket buyers. If this is the case........there are not many potential buyers.

Season tickets were sold out last year, however, if many people bail on their tickets......I don't think there will be very many people lining up for to buy the expensive seats at BMO Field.

This is why I think Anselmi over-estimates demand.

maninb
10-26-2010, 09:56 AM

My sentiments exactly...we dropped our pair in 108...

Jeffro
10-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Jeffro.. I actually did qoute if you go back through the thread, I used the same wording. You'll find it if you look hard enough.

As for why, It has nothing to do with my personal financial situation, it's a matter of principle. On top of that, the thread title is 'Here's why'.. That's why..

So what's your problem? I answered the thread question, with my own personal situation, Hence the point of the thread...

I simply responded to your statement : does that make me a bad supporter? Or Financially conscious. Why do you need to justify to any one? I also dropped tickets for my own reasons. I don't feel the need to justify that to anyone, and I don't feel like anybody here is deriding me for that decision

You're right it's a "here is why thread" so I apologize, I just really hate the who's a better supporter debate: "You renewed tickets which supports mlse, so you're not a real supporter." or "you didn't renew, you're giving up on the team, you're not a real supporter."

Sad day when so many TFC originals had to drop their tickets.

BFin
10-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Who's having that debate in this thread?

Derko
10-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Everyone has an option to renew or to not renew, but as one poster commented, those whom don't renew, will be missed at BMO and hopefully we will see them again sometime. I myself did renew.

trane
10-26-2010, 03:01 PM
and this one does present listed points, which is WAY better than just the simple "fuck those guys" posts.

Thats funny because I prefer the "fuck those guys" posts, as for me it is very simply this management have given me no reason to believe that they will ever produce a proper footy club. That is the bottom line for me, I am tiered of being lied to and being asked to believe bullshit. I had enough.

[Having said that I am not renewing my 104s, but when I get less angry and I see who they are hireing I may get some prawns, love the view up there- however I am in no rush to do so] So for know FUCK THOSE GUYS.

trane
10-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Jeffro118, I acctualy agree, it is hard to say what the right course of action is for supporters at this point. I clearly belive that it is not renewing trying to bring MLSE to understand, that we are serious, but there is validity to the argument that we should continue for a LITTLE longer.

Hitcho
10-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Fact is, if it isn't for the suburbs, there wouldn't be the support at the games, period. That is where a large portion of the fans are coming from.

This is true, and you can tell by how packed the trains are and how many people arrive and leave based on the GO Train timetable.

In fairness to MLSE, it's CN who control the lines I think, not even GO, and I doubt that MLSE would have much pull over CN for 15 Saturday afternoons a year. Also, even if they did put on extra trains, where's the extra revenue for them? Consider:

- thousands of people are already using the existing train service and there's no proof that numbers would go up significantly if another train was scheduled, just hypothesis;

- adding an extra train won't get any more people inside BMO Field, the number of fans at the game is finite, so doubling the train service cannot double the revenue, it will only split existing revenue between two trains, unless some drivers take the additional train because that's the only additional market to tap into;

- anyone with a monthly pass (there are lots of people with these in the suburbs) would get a free extra train with no additional money for GO/CN;

- many other people would free ride on the basis that it's hard to get inspectors through crowded trains before people have hopped off without paying for a ticket;

- if significantly more people take the train and traffic and parking congestion eases as a result, then some current train users may take advantage of that and drive to games instead of taking the train; and

- if you do it for TFC then Leaf, Raptor and Jays fans will want the same thing, and is CN really going to dramatically alter its timetables for TO sports fans, or could it even manage that much change even if it wanted to?

I don't think we'll see any significant change to the GO trains in the near future. My guess is they'll only put on extra trains if overcrowding becomes such an issue that it's a health and safety risk, because I just cannot see the extra revenue for CN/GO for doing this.

moralis
10-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Paul Beirne was on the TFC chat saying:

Renewals are done, a handful still coming in today but for all intents and purposes they're done. We're projecting low 80s from a percentage basis.

Roogsy
10-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Can you imagine what it would have been had they done nothing (which appeared to be the case until people started speaking up?)

Ben - D.O.W.
10-26-2010, 03:22 PM
So that's what - about 3,200 extra season tickets available? Plus another 2,000 from the North End? Looks like that waiting list is going to get tested pretty well.

menefreghista
10-26-2010, 03:23 PM

Renewals are done, a handful still coming in today but for all intents and purposes they're done. We're projecting low 80s from a percentage basis.

Interesting. Sounds like they have allowed people to renew past the deadline. I guess they are desperate.

With a renewal rate of 80% I wonder if they can sell out the MLS Cup.

DangerRed
10-26-2010, 03:23 PM

Ahem.

I fucking called it.

35%. Hah.

Jeffro
10-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Who's having that debate in this thread?

"I'm not renewing because.... does that make me a bad supporter?" My point was there was nothing in this thread implying anyone was a bad supporter for not renewing, and furthermore, if one has their reasons for not renewing, why care what anyone else thinks?! That is all.

BakaGaijin
10-26-2010, 03:28 PM

So, if there are 16 000 season tickets.....that means that 3200 ticket were not renewed. Plus the 2000 season tickets they said they were adding.........that means they need to sell 5200 season tickets! I assume most will be the pricey seats from the dark grey's and up.

Good luck ML$E!!!

Sellouts next year = 0

Jeffro
10-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Jeffro118, I acctualy agree.

Surely this means end times are near! :D

Hitcho
10-26-2010, 04:08 PM
So, if there are 16 000 season tickets.....that means that 3200 ticket were not renewed. Plus the 2000 season tickets they said they were adding.........that means they need to sell 5200 season tickets! I assume most will be the pricey seats from the dark grey's and up.

Good luck ML$E!!!

Sellouts next year = 0

On the plus side, that's 5,000 or so empty seats that will remain empty throughout the relocation process. To start with, some of those will be ni the cheaper sections. For once we might actually get some meaningful movement at relocation time. The sheer number of seats available will help that if nothing else.

But yeah, I cannot see them selling 5,000 season tickets in the dark greys and reds to the waiting list when a lot of the people on there are hoping for cheap seats and will be happy to test their luck getting single game tickets in the cheaper sections rather than fork out thousands of dollars for an expensive seat.

I wonder if they will remove the north end from relocation as a result of this?

ArmenJBX
10-26-2010, 04:10 PM
I better be at least offered seasons this year.

If I see the words "Marlies" in my email, I will flip shit and call them and MAKE THEM sell me a normal pack :D

Hitcho
10-26-2010, 04:14 PM
^ I would guess that you'll get offered a season seat in the dark greys or reds if nothing else. question is, would you take it? relocation is always an option but you;ve got to stick it through a full year first, then you'll be last in the relocation process and if the new GM/coach get the team running properly and people can see a good future with a price freeze in place, then you'd expect renewal rates to run high this time next year and your first relocation to be pretty slim pickings, potentially sticking you with an expensive seat for a second year (or longer).

I don't envy people with that decision to make, but at least there's hope of getting off the waiting list this year by the looks of it.

trane
10-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Surely this means end times are near! :D

From the storm they tell me is comming our way it may be.

NoNameboys
10-26-2010, 04:22 PM
I had 2 season tickets in 112, i gave one up. Was losing money, i couldn't even get face value for it when i tried to sell it. 1 season ticket is enough, if i need more there's plenty for sale in the ticket trader.

ArmenJBX
10-26-2010, 04:33 PM
No, I will call Paul Bierne personally and demand light grey/yellow.

If a million scalpers have their hands on them, I should too :D
I'm sure they're available, which is why I will DEMAND them :D

Hitcho
10-26-2010, 04:41 PM

If a million scalpers have their hands on them, I should too :D
I'm sure they're available, which is why I will DEMAND them :D

Ask him for a roof and a DP striker better and younger than Handball Henry while you're at it then. I would add cheaper beer to the list as well but since you're not of legal drinking age we should leave that to King Dave to negotiate... :drinking:

ArmenJBX
10-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Hitcho, that's it? :D

I thought I'd ask him for my prototype jersey and a day out golfing with Chad Barrett, Stefan Frei and Jacob Peterson, on the side :D

Is it too much? I don't feel like it is :D

GBV
10-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Ahem.

I fucking called it.

35%. Hah.

If it was at low 80s -- or near that, even -- you honestly think they would have sent out that desperate e-mail on Deadline Day No. 2, gave us a third deadline, and made those last-minute concessions . . . ?
(Especially when they supposedly have thousands and thousands and thousands on a waiting list!?)

:picard::picard:

Hitcho
10-26-2010, 05:21 PM
If it was at low 80s -- or near that, even -- you honestly think they would have sent out that desperate e-mail on Deadline Day No. 2, gave us a third deadline, and made those last-minute concessions . . . ?
(Especially when they supposedly have thousands and thousands and thousands on a waiting list!?)

:picard::picard:

i think the point was more that it's low 80's now, ie at the finish line, which means that yeah, you're probably right that it was a lot worse than that before the deadlines were extended and the extra concessions were made.

the waiting list will get it's first real test this off season. possibly around 5,000 unsold season tickets are up for grabs, maybe more. can MLSE sell them out through the waiting list? if they can't, and this is the first time the waiting list is really tested, then that basically bursts any balloon of hope that MLSE might have about being able to dictate terms to supporters going forward.

If the fanbase knows that the waiting list myth is a crock of shit, and can prove it by having empty seats and unsold season tickets next year, then the amount of impact we carry over the ownership will go up dramatically because they will knwo that it's us or bust unless they can generate new fans through a winning team at reasonable prices. Either way, we win!! :D:D

MFG1
10-26-2010, 05:28 PM
My two at the top of 110 row 33 seats 20,21 will be on the relocation list if anyone is looking. good luck guys.

king dave
10-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Check out the final segment of the CBC news tonight.
Around 6:25 pm;).
KD.

Heart of Stone
10-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Check out the final segment of the CBC news tonight.
Around 6:25 pm;).
KD.

Great piece... very well said...

Gixmo
10-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Ha!

Jeffro.. My 'Does that make me a bad supporter' is a tongue in cheek reference to the exact situation you're referring too mate..

nfitz
10-26-2010, 08:03 PM
I wonder if they will remove the north end from relocation as a result of this?Given how expensive they are ... I doubt it. Perhaps a few, but I'd think that they wouldn't all get grabbed up in relocation.

Sally Mack
10-26-2010, 09:48 PM
I agree with 1-3 and 5-6. I have decided to give them a year or two more to get their act together. However, I am splitting with a friend, so they lost 2 season seats as a result.

With respect to #4, I don't know what MLSE can do to get a GO train scheduled. Not sure there's much possible

Its possible. But it'll cost them.

rocker
10-26-2010, 11:10 PM

When I got my seasons (second year) after being on the waiting list due to buying a first-year half-season pack, I was initially offered seats in the upper deck west side. I pushed the rep a bit on the phone, and she "found" tickets in my preferred section (lower deck west side).

So if you get the ST call, push them a bit.

Toronto Ruffrider
10-27-2010, 12:31 AM
I had partials this year, and I've decided not to opt for any packages for the 2011 season - full season or otherwise. TFC is not going to sell out next season, and it will be cheaper to buy single-game tickets than to buy any package in which tickets go to waste.

king dave
10-27-2010, 12:57 AM
Never thought of the partial-seasons peeps.
Whooaa!
KD.

king dave
10-27-2010, 01:06 AM
"I'm not renewing because.... does that make me a bad supporter?" My point was there was nothing in this thread implying anyone was a bad supporter for not renewing, and furthermore, if one has their reasons for not renewing, why care what anyone else thinks?! That is all.
Renewing is a personal decision.
These threads are started because now that it's off season, peeps have waaaaaaaay too much time to post their opi.
I will not ingage any supporter in discussion over their decision either way.
I hope everone get's what they want for Christmas (cue threadstarter):D
KD.

Macksam
10-27-2010, 09:14 PM

I don't agree with him laying the blame on MLSE for the Go Trains as they don't run Go Transit. However, just because you live in the burbs doesn't mean you can't complain about the Go Train schedules. It's my and other 905ers God given right to complain about shitty Go Transit schedules.

Toronto Ruffrider
10-27-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm not a fan of the GO schedule, but it is always so much easier to make the train when games start/end at half-past the hour. TV scheduling issues probably prevent TFC from playing more 1:30/4:30/7:30 games, but if CBC or Sportsnet are not broadcasting a game, the club should consider such start times.

T.Reis
10-28-2010, 06:00 AM
Didn't renew, and honestly...... I feel great! feel like the choke hold around my neck is gone.

The Good,
- No more worrying about selling tickets (to games I couldn't make) or finding a replacement to come along or all the other BS that comes with it.
- Feel really good about not supporting MLSE in any way now.
- Came on this forum today for 1st time since not renewing, and honestly, it's the first time in a long time that I didn't come on here feeling pissed off.

The Bad,
- When I first signed up, I had this naive idea that in a few years (when he was old enough) I would start taking my son to games and would continue to do so for years to come just like the stories you hear about over in England about people having tickets in their families for generations. For whatever reason, that made me feel all warm and good inside lol.

However, realistically, it's probably a little more affordable (and obtainable if it's the right club) to do it over there and your watching a much better brand of soccer. But like Anselmi said "it's apples and oranges"

I didn't think I'd come to peace with it all this fast, but I feel really really good about my decision. It's put me in a good place this week lol.

Still want to get out and do some RPB related stuff though even though I'm not a member, like the indoor soccer league and stuff. You folks are good people.