PDA

View Full Version : TFC @ DC Post-game thread

Oldtimer
10-23-2010, 08:38 PM
TFC pull off the win 3-2.

Red CB Toronto
10-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Two nice goals by DeRo, sign the check and keep him in his hometown.

ArmenJBX
10-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Breakfast wraps anyone?

Boondaddy
Well done but where the fuck was that throughout the season? A few more of those road wins and things might have been different.

ag futbol
Not bad... we saw some positive stuff the last two games.

If we build a midfield that can actually get Santos and Dero the ball we'll be cooking.

Lindsay will have to continue to improve to hold down a starting role next year. As of right now he's a typical young player. Does some stuff right but has to improve in some areas if he wants to be starting 11 as opposed to super sub (for the early part of his career at least).

Oldtimer
10-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Isn't this the first ever win of the final game of the season?

Plus, TFC went behind and pulled off the win!

TFC_Toon
10-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Ending on a positive note, now let's build something special.

MartinUtd
10-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Great win.

I'm loving the hot mic still on the broadcast too..lol

H Bomb
10-23-2010, 08:44 PM
anyone still watching the stream is getting a treat with the background stuff with Wilman, Jason and Pertillo

ArmenJBX
10-23-2010, 08:44 PM
It's the wings my friends.

The wings made us win this game.

Lindsay and Peterson 2011 :D

prizby
10-23-2010, 08:45 PM
and first time winning at rfk i believe?

CBTFC
A lot of positive play from several players, and thought that Lindsay got unlucky on that call. But hey, he's a good bet for the starting 11 next year so hopefully a good learning experience.

prizby
too bad we couldn't blow the game and go for the better draft picks

MartinUtd
10-23-2010, 08:46 PM
anyone still watching the stream is getting a treat with the background stuff with Wilman, Jason and Pertillo

haha.. yeah they were talking about Moreno crying, then the one girl started singing

jloome
10-23-2010, 08:47 PM
It's the wings my friends.

The wings made us win this game.

Lindsay and Peterson 2011 :D

Get off the dope, Jim. Peterson is not good enough to start in MLS. He had a couple of nice plays tonight, including the first tough to DeRo. But game in and out he's not a smart enough player to make the first team on a competitive squad.

This was D.C. United.

jloome
10-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Lindsay, on the other hand, is a talent.

billyfly
10-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Its always better to win than to lose I guess.

TFC_Toon
10-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Get off the dope, Jim. Peterson is not good enough to start in MLS. He had a couple of nice plays tonight, including the first tough to DeRo. But game in and out he's not a smart enough player to make the first team on a competitive squad.

This was D.C. United.

Agreed, his is not the answer on the flank.

TFC_Toon
10-23-2010, 08:56 PM

Agreed again, showing promiss, needs to work on this control but is young and swung some good balls into the box tonight. Well done lad.

GlenM
10-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Good road win to close out year.

GlenM

ArmenJBX
10-23-2010, 08:57 PM
NOPE.

Jake Peterson IS starting quality. He's got it all there. He needs some good coaching and time to adjust, just like Nick Garcia, just like Chad Barrett. The difference is, he's got skill when Garcia does not.

Notice how Garcia is not a walking disaster (or as much of one) as he was in the beginning of this season? He's settled into his role. Once Jake does too, he's got the pace and crossing ability, as well as the movement, to do well in this league.

I saw this when he was considered the worst player on our side. The only other people who have that right now are Lindsay and Ashton Morgan, WHO NEEDS TO BE SIGNED IMMEDIATELY. :D

LesH
10-23-2010, 09:01 PM

This was D.C. United.

This!
Before having some conclusions after this game with consequence for next season, please do not forget who we were playing.

DC had only 3 home wins all season.
Nuff said...

Sweeper
10-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Agree that Peterson has to go, make room for some young talent like Lindsay. Making a late season drive like Peterson has is unacceptable, we needed him 3 months ago. Time to make way for youth.

Good way to end off a disappointing season, DeRo yet again silences his critics.

Nuvinho
10-23-2010, 09:02 PM
oh my lord......I just spotted Mista. He was behind the goal when DeRo scored his second. Mista is ALIVE!!!

Hitcho
10-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Two nice goals by DeRo, no-one else will pay him more than we do so shouldn't be hard to keep him in his hometown.

Fixed :D:D:D

Oldtimer
10-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Mista will be heading back to Spain very soon, I imagine.

LesH
oh my lord......I just spotted Mista. He was behind the goal when DeRo scored his second. Mista is ALIVE!!!

Yeah, I was surprised too to see him, I just spotted it when we got the replays for all TFC goals, at the end of game.

He looked like he was warming up (good joke, eh?).

TFC_Toon
NOPE.

Jake Peterson IS starting quality. He's got it all there. He needs some good coaching and time to adjust, just like Nick Garcia, just like Chad Barrett. The difference is, he's got skill when Garcia does not.

Notice how Garcia is not a walking disaster (or as much of one) as he was in the beginning of this season? He's settled into his role. Once Jake does too, he's got the pace and crossing ability, as well as the movement, to do well in this league.

I saw this when he was considered the worst player on our side. The only other people who have that right now are Lindsay and Ashton Morgan, WHO NEEDS TO BE SIGNED IMMEDIATELY. :D

Not sure about that Jimmy, he looks to be flailing all the time, not sure he has the football sense, time perhaps, but I was thinking towards the starting 11 next season, which is free by the way :D

Oldtimer
Jake Peterson IS starting quality.

Don't agree.

LesH
10-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Two nice goals by DeRo, sign the check and keep him in his hometown.

Disagree.

Do not give him even a red cent more, but kick out JDG with Mista (last one is a done deal of course I guess), and get 3 real DP-s!!!!!!

Hitcho
10-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Jimmy, Peterson is not good enough to be a regular starter on a team that hopes to do well in MLS. His touch is terrible, his crossing is sporadic at best and his movement off the ball is not good, it's wayward at best and at times apalling. Now and then, he has a good moment, but far too much of the time he's a waste of space and (much worse) wastes possesion.

Having a moment now and then is not indicative of needing time to adjust to become a good player, it's as much down to opposition players not picking him up, an astute pass from a team mate and quite frankly luck. His bad moments this season have been absolute howlers, and there have been plenty of them. They dramatically outweigh his positive worth to the team.

After four years of barren wilderness (bar ROB in 2007), if Peterson is the best we can hope for on the wing next seaosn then it's a shite state of affairs to be in.

(And just to be clear, this is not a rant at you Jimmy, so sorry if it seems that way, but I just cannot sleep at night if a new coach and GM that we all hope will finally take us in the right direction are going to settle for Jacob fucking Peterson on the wing...)

ArmenJBX
10-23-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm sorry.
I disagree.

Having seen many like him before, I know exactly what type of player he is.
He has an extraordinary upswing that has yet to be seen.

Hell, I'd go so far as to say he could be the best player on our team if De Rosario leaves.

I'll let that settle in for a second before I explain why. :D

Hustle
10-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Season ending WOOT. I am feeling good and am hopelessly hopeful about positive changes in the off season.

andyc
10-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Peterson, Gargan and Labrocca would be great to have on the subs bench... That would be good depth in the MLS.

However, we have a bunch of starters that need to be signed up.

Sweeper
10-23-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm sorry.
I disagree.

Hell, I'd go so far as to say he could be the best player on our team if De Rosario leaves.

Yes please explain because I cannot think of any reason why Peterson should be a first team player. I think a vote on this issue would be interesting.

ArmenJBX
10-23-2010, 09:35 PM
The Reason that Jacob Peterson is a starting quality winger is:

Because I think he's swell :)

Heart of Stone
10-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Moreno is a real "legend" with real accomplishments to his credit... still can't believe we have two on our Wall of Honour despite never making the playoffs... Brennan and Dichio were such average MLSers...

andyc
10-23-2010, 09:49 PM
The Reason that Jacob Peterson is a starting quality winger is:

Because I think he's swell :)

I think that it's past your bed time...

Darlofletch
10-23-2010, 10:00 PM
nice ending to the season.

to weigh in on the peterson argument. He's looked so much better since Dasovic took over, I'd be happy to keep him, depending on how much money he wants. I'd be happy to give him 60-80 k. Hopefully we'll get ourselves a realy good winger, then have Lindsay as well as our 2nd winger, Peterson is an mls quality reserve for injuries, or when Lindsay hits a rough streak at some point.

and yes, Hitcho, we do hate poolies! filthy monkey-hanging buggers!

prizby
10-23-2010, 10:08 PM

This was D.C. United.

are you fucking joking me...i am tired of ppl bashing peterson because he was shit from beginning of the season til end of august. Since September, he has picked up his game and HASN'T looked back. He started off with a few injuries, then had to bring back his form, then there was the all-star game then he adjusted to playing with his teammates and now that he's got that all in him, his form has shown...it showed against REAL SALT LAKE just like it showed against DC United, just like it showed against COLUMBUS.

He has shown that he is capable of being a regular in the squad, maybe not worth the $126k base salary, but I have seen a lot worse around his wages (Uselessnov, Pisscanovics).

Quit judging him on his early season form and give credit where its due

ArmenJBX
10-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Thank you Prizby :)

Someone else sees it then. :D

shwade
10-23-2010, 10:34 PM
I think Peterson's been better since Preki left, he was a drunkard on the ball before, but if this team is finally complete next year he won't be starting.

Hitcho
10-23-2010, 10:41 PM
are you fucking joking me...i am tired of ppl bashing peterson because he was shit from beginning of the season til end of august. Since September, he has picked up his game and HASN'T looked back. He started off with a few injuries, then had to bring back his form, then there was the all-star game then he adjusted to playing with his teammates and now that he's got that all in him, his form has shown...it showed against REAL SALT LAKE just like it showed against DC United, just like it showed against COLUMBUS.

He has shown that he is capable of being a regular in the squad, maybe not worth the $126k base salary, but I have seen a lot worse around his wages (Uselessnov, Pisscanovics).

It's unrealistic to say he's been turned around since September. For example, against Dallas he was absolute crap and couldn't touch the ball without knocking the fucking thing out of play. That was early September but was still one of his lowest points of the entire season.

The farthest I'd go is to say that IF he can continue his late season (note: pressure basically off) form throughout next year (when called on) on a consistent basis, then I'd be happy to see him as a squad player for TFC, but seriously if we really want to aim at the post season and having a decent shot at making a deep foray into the play offs, then Peterson better not be a regular starter for us next season.

And Jimmy, if you're going to make outlandishly bold statements like "Peterson would be the best player on our team if De Ro left", then have the wherewithall/bollocks to support it with something rather than waiting for someone else to do it and then backing them up gratuitously once they've made your substantive argument for you...

Darlo - monkey hangers, I always forget about that and it gets me every time! Brilliant! Especially since the monkey was "French"...

torontocelt
10-23-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm sorry.
I disagree.

the next best after dero? we are fucked...

ag futbol
10-23-2010, 10:56 PM
For the reasons already outlined by others i would not touch Peterson as a starter. His first touch is poor, for a guy who is supposed to be a winger his crossing is not great and he gets stuck making negative back-passes quite a bit. I'm hardly inclined to keep him on the bench.

Lindsay has shown more dynamic out there in a couple of games that Peterson has shown in his entire stint. And to underscore that, I don't think it's a fluke that he has three assists in limited minutes while Peterson only has two for the entire season.

jloome
10-23-2010, 11:14 PM

I'm not judging him on his "early season," I'm judging him on his lack of ability. He can't read the play, he's defensively inept at best, he moves poorly off the ball, he doesn't support his teammates runs.

He has a good first step, but a poor first touch, so he doesn't actually get half the opportunities he should to beat someone. He's a converted striker and it shows.

He is a backup in MLS at best. Do you honestly expect to compete in MLS with Jacob Peterson as a starting winger? Good grief. Do yourself a favour: go compare him with the wing options of every team above us in the standings, then come back and tell me Jacob Peterson helps us into the playoffs.

Starting material:
Frei
Conway
Cann
Attakora
DeRosario
Maicon Santos

Capable backups
Nick Labrocca
Jacob Peterson
Chad Barrett
Dan Gargan

Good prospects:
Nick Lindsay
Doneil Henry
Emmanuel Gomez
Amadou Sanyang

Everyone else:
Nice Knowing You.

jloome
10-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Lindsay has shown more dynamic out there in a couple of games that Peterson has shown in his entire stint. And to underscore that, I don't think it's a fluke that he has three assists in limited minutes while Peterson only has two for the entire season.

Cogent point.

TFC Cityboy
10-23-2010, 11:19 PM
niceto win the final match of what has been a dismal season. Thank fuck it's finally over.
DC are a dreadful team so let's npt go crazy, but having conceeded early on an emotional night for DC, t was nice to see the lads show character and piss on Moreno's chips!
bit pished here...night all!

GuelphStorm2007
10-23-2010, 11:22 PM
I think Peterson will be a decent player, Starter I am not sure. But lets see how he preforms in In training camp and also pre season friendlies in 2011.

Roogsy
10-23-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm not judging him on his "early season," I'm judging him on his lack of ability. He can't read the play, he's defensively inept at best, he moves poorly off the ball, he doesn't support his teammates runs.

He has a good first step, but a poor first touch, so he doesn't actually get half the opportunities he should to beat someone. He's a converted striker and it shows.

He is a backup in MLS at best. Do you honestly expect to compete in MLS with Jacob Peterson as a starting winger? Good grief. Do yourself a favour: go compare him with the wing options of every team above us in the standings, then come back and tell me Jacob Peterson helps us into the playoffs.

Starting material:
Frei
Conway
Cann
Attakora
DeRosario
Maicon Santos

Capable backups
Nick Labrocca
Jacob Peterson
Chad Barrett
Dan Gargan

Good prospects:
Nick Lindsay
Doneil Henry
Emmanuel Gomez
Amadou Sanyang

Everyone else:
Nice Knowing You.

Yes, yes and yes!

Book this and let's get on with next year.

And I would like to add....PAY THE FUCkIN' MAN! If 15 goals aren't more than what you expected from DeRo, then I don't know what you want the man to do for this team. You guys think some other team won't pay DeRo more than he is getting now because he is 32??? I think they will look at his 15 goals on a shit team more than whether his birthday was in the 70s.

TFC John
10-24-2010, 12:08 AM
I have no desire to see Peterson back however that third goal was one of the most beautiful ones I've seen from this team. Santos' first goal was pretty nice too. This was kind of an ugly game but it had its moments. A road win always means something even when it means nothing in the standings. A loss tonight after the season we just had would have been so depressing. At least we have something to cheer us up though the off season.

bgnewf
10-24-2010, 12:54 AM
The Past & The Future - DC United VBlog

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/10/the-past-the-future-dc-united-vblog/

In this final video blog for the 2010 Toronto FC season I briefly cover off the game in DC that saw TFC come from behind to earn the three points. I ponder DeRo and what to do with a 17 goal scorer who wants more $$$’s, I speak to the promise of Nicholas Lindsay, the enigma that is Julian de Guzman, and who needs to get their arses outta BMO Field.

prizby
10-24-2010, 01:04 AM

Starting material:
Frei
Conway
Cann
Attakora
DeRosario
Maicon Santos

Capable backups
Nick Labrocca
Jacob Peterson
Chad Barrett
Dan Gargan

Good prospects:
Nick Lindsay
Doneil Henry
Emmanuel Gomez
Amadou Sanyang

Everyone else:
Nice Knowing You.

Funny about moving poorly off the ball and not supporting teammates runs...correct me if I am wrong, wasn't he doing both on the 3rd goal to go along with that great touch to DeRo?

I never said Peterson was starting material...I said he should be part of the squad...he should be a regular...that means he is someone you dress every game, not necessarily start.

you are going to have to add JDG to that list...he ain't going anywhere (if you were at the meeting on Thursday, it is a clear sign)

you should also be adding chad barrett to the starting list...look at TFC's record this season when he starts vs. when he doesn't vs. when he doesn't even dress/play

Shakes McQueen
10-24-2010, 01:59 AM
Don't pay DeRo a cent more - but get rid of the overpaid stiffs currently making more than him.

As for this game - great, we won. Frankly, I don't really care. We eked out a close road win, in a meaningless game, against the worst team in the league.

I'm not going to derive any meaning from this game, until the team that takes the pitch next season gives me reason to have optimism again. Until then, this group (as a group) is dead to me. They put on a couple of decent performances when shit didn't matter anymore, but they were petulant, and pathetic, and didn't get the job done when the games still did matter.

I could probably count on one hand the names of guys I'd really like to see back next season. Then there's one or two more on the bubble, and the rest can fuck off to the Armenian 11th Division.

- Scott

Keystone FC
10-24-2010, 02:45 AM
Overall a win is a win and I don't care if we fall in the draft order because of it.
With DCU scoring SOOOOO early and it being Morenos last game I was thinking DC would make this a laugher but the boys pulled through and got the 3 points.
The Fire just dismantled Chivas 4-1 so TFC will finish 5th in the East ABOVE new England, DCU and PHILLY reguardless of the Crew/Union outcome on Sunday. Thank God for small miracles.

James17930
10-24-2010, 03:15 AM
Peterson is nothing more than depth on the wing, and probably never will be more simply because, regardless of whether his skill improves or not, he's really fucking slow -- I'd rather have Marvell back out there on the wing than him, to be honest. I'd rather have RR back out there.

We definitely need a better quality, faster guy out there on the wing to complement Lindsay on the left (and we need a competent back-up for Lindsay too -- why the hell did we release Felinga? He seemed decent, and he was left-footed) -- I'm actually in the 'Barrett for winger' camp. I think he could do well there, not only for his hustle to run down loose balls, but because he's one of our few guys who actually tracks back on defence (something Peterson, btw, does not do at all -- look at DC's first goal).

DichioTFC
10-24-2010, 03:54 AM
Overall a win is a win and I don't care if we fall in the draft order because of it.
With DCU scoring SOOOOO early and it being Morenos last game I was thinking DC would make this a laugher but the boys pulled through and got the 3 points.
The Fire just dismantled Chivas 4-1 so TFC will finish 5th in the East ABOVE new England, DCU and PHILLY reguardless of the Crew/Union outcome on Sunday. Thank God for small miracles.

Agreed. Pride in our team and our results are more important than any single player coming in to the league.

Peterson is nothing more than depth on the wing, and probably never will be more simply because, regardless of whether his skill improves or not, he's really fucking slow -- I'd rather have Marvell back out there on the wing than him, to be honest. I'd rather have RR back out there.

Also agreed. I notice Peterson has improved since the beginning, but he does lumber quite a bit and he's inconsistent. One day he'll score a wondergoal in the CCL and the next day he'll get a rating of 4. He does appear to have greater vision than the rest of our squad and I would like to keep him as a sub / rotation player. But at his price tag its hard to justify keeping him. Get some value from him, even a draft pick, and move on.

Hitcho
10-24-2010, 06:40 AM
As for this game - great, we won. Frankly, I don't really care. We eked out a close road win, in a meaningless game, against the worst team in the league.

Ouch (because it's hard to disagree...)

ArmenJBX
10-24-2010, 07:12 AM
A case for Jacob Peterson.

Since, apparently, I don't have the cajones to defend him (I needed some sleep btw, thus the simple swell answer) here are the top 5 reasons Jacob Peterson is starting quality:

1. He's got the speed. He knows how to run, and he does so quickly. He's got some wicked acceleration, that only De Rosario, Lindsay and, to a certain extent, Maicon have shown. His pace is undeniable.

2. He knows how to cross the ball. He gets himself in a good position for crosses, and supplies them well to forwards, case in point, yesterdays third goal. Let's face is, de Guzman would not have made that cross. The quality is there in distribution.

3. He's a strong finisher. He has scored two goals this season and been presented with about three or four chances, however he did score from distance with great accuracy, and before Maicon decided he was Ronaldo, many were saying Jake's first goal was the best in a TFC shirt.

4. He does little wrong. The only real gap I see is his ability to capture the ball and receive a pass. Scuffs easy passes on the touchline and sometimes controls with too much force, giving away possession. However, this is simply from lack of playing time, and as he finetunes his skills, we'll see less blunders, same as Nick Garcia, same as Chad Barrett.

5. We have yet to see the Jacob Peterson of Colorado Rapids. The right forward in a 4-3-3, he was much quicker and much more confident going forward. If he can rediscover this form, like he has been doing, we have a real winger on this squad.

Now, as for being De Rosario level. I believe that he does the least wrong and is the most complete footballer on our squad. His mistakes are simply attributes of injury return. Once gone, he will be left with a plethora of utility skills and all the makings of an MLS quality winger.

And though it means nothing IRL, his stats in FIFA 11 are pretty good too. .D

Yeoman
10-24-2010, 07:23 AM
i doubt that we will ever see the same perterson
not after the knee surgery
i still recall see his speed when we played colorado at home, man he flew down the wing.

Azerban
10-24-2010, 07:43 AM

at first i thought this was a dumb opinion, then i remembered the draft is shit and sucks terribly

what is it about toronto teams playing well after they can't win anything though

ArmenJBX
10-24-2010, 07:46 AM
We don't need a draft, at least not this year. In Nicolas Lindsay and Doneil Henry, we have our two first round draft picks, basically.

I wrote in an article, how it would be wise to trade our first round draft pick for an unprotected pick from Vancouver or Portland. I still believe this would be our best option.

H Bomb
10-24-2010, 07:54 AM
I realized something about dero last night. I always thought him totally selfish, but didnt know why, thinking it was entirely ego. But watching some good runs last night and a few unbelievable passes, from lyndsay especially. I focused on dero, and here it is...he cant pass. For all his talents putting the ball on a teammates foot isnt one of them. And if my history was mostly screwing up passes id hold the ball too long too. Shows why dero needs to play up top and not be a ball holding player...because the boy can hit a net.

ArmenJBX
10-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Exactly, thus is our need for Amado Guevara, but it seems as though Nick LaBrocca can possibly grow into that role.

De Rosario is a goalscorer, so he's a striker. Between him and an in-form Maicon Santos, our forward line is good. Lindsay on the left and either Peterson or a new, better winger, such as Will Johnson of RSL, Brian Mullen, Corey Ashe, or going abroad and finding a South American winger, will solidify the wings. Lindsay, I believe, is starting quality, or at least, will be very soon.

However, we now have a gap in one part of the field, well, actually two.

Julian de Guzman has proven, over a season and a half, that he is not MLS caliber. He simply does not have the ability to play at this level. We should, therefore, look for a solid defensive midfielder who CAN play at this level. Alonso and Joseph have been mentioned, but there are others. Brian Carroll of Columbus is a good example, Sam Cronin would probably have done better than de Guzman in any case. Patrice Bernier would be a good pickup as well, but the player doesn't necessarily have to be Canadian.
Gilberto Silva, former Brazil international, has expressed interest in coming to MLS. He would be smart to look at.

The last position that needs filling is Left Back. Ashton Morgan is a great option, but as a substitute. He and Lindsay showed great understanding against Arabe Unido, but it's just too inexperienced on that left side. Therefore, the likes of Benitez, Moor, Harrington, Jazic, or DP-ing someone like David Edgar or Paul Stalteri would be a good move on our part.

I also believe that we should work on bringing Hunter Freeman back from Norway. Though traditionally a right back, he does have a wicked left foot that could come in very handy at LB.

LesH
10-24-2010, 08:50 AM

Starting material:
Frei
Conway
Cann
Attakora
DeRosario
Maicon Santos

Capable backups
Nick Labrocca
Jacob Peterson
Chad Barrett
Dan Gargan

Good prospects:
Nick Lindsay
Doneil Henry
Emmanuel Gomez
Amadou Sanyang

Everyone else:
Nice Knowing You.

I would make just a little change:

Barrett is also starting material!

tfc-th
10-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Julian de Guzman has proven, over a season and a half, that he is not MLS caliber. He simply does not have the ability to play at this level.

Can I assume you mean a level down from where he was?

In my humble estimation, JDG is not a bad player. He's proven his worth in other environments. What he can't seem to do is adjust and think.

For the past season, we've seen him get the ball, whirl around, and promptly pass it to either no one or the other team. He doesn't get that no one around him plays the style that he plays in Spain. Continuing to play his way doesn't mean everyone else around him will suddenly become Spanish style players and thinkers and connect with his passes. He's speaking a different language than those around him and he just doesn't seem to get that he'll need to learn to speak MLS to be successful here.

Either he has to learn to stop, look, and pass to some stampeding MLS player (read: bring his style of play down to MLS level) or everyone around him has to change their style of play to match his (read: replace everyone with non-MLS style players). I guarantee he'd be back to his old self if he were playing with people who understood his football language. Not the current steaming herd of MLS football animals charging from one end of the pitch to the other.

He should probably move on. Not because he sucks, but because he doesn't play this style of football well.

ManUtd4ever
10-24-2010, 10:39 AM

Starting material:
Frei
Conway
Cann
Attakora
DeRosario
Maicon Santos

Capable backups
Nick Labrocca
Jacob Peterson
Chad Barrett
Dan Gargan

Good prospects:
Nick Lindsay
Doneil Henry
Emmanuel Gomez
Amadou Sanyang

Everyone else:
Nice Knowing You.

Excellent points, although I would add JDG to the list of starters (he's too expensive to move), Harden to the backups, and Morgan to the prospects...

torontocelt
10-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Exactly, thus is our need for Amado Guevara, but it seems as though Nick LaBrocca can possibly grow into that role.

De Rosario is a goalscorer, so he's a striker. Between him and an in-form Maicon Santos, our forward line is good. Lindsay on the left and either Peterson or a new, better winger, such as Will Johnson of RSL, Brian Mullen, Corey Ashe, or going abroad and finding a South American winger, will solidify the wings. Lindsay, I believe, is starting quality, or at least, will be very soon.

Julian de Guzman has proven, over a season and a half, that he is not MLS caliber. He simply does not have the ability to play at this level. We should, therefore, look for a solid defensive midfielder who CAN play at this level. Alonso and Joseph have been mentioned, but there are others. Brian Carroll of Columbus is a good example, Sam Cronin would probably have done better than de Guzman in any case. Patrice Bernier would be a good pickup as well, but the player doesn't necessarily have to be Canadian.
Gilberto Silva, former Brazil international, has expressed interest in coming to MLS. He would be smart to look at.

The last position that needs filling is Left Back. Ashton Morgan is a great option, but as a substitute. He and Lindsay showed great understanding against Arabe Unido, but it's just too inexperienced on that left side. Therefore, the likes of Benitez, Moor, Harrington, Jazic, or DP-ing someone like David Edgar or Paul Stalteri would be a good move on our part.

I also believe that we should work on bringing Hunter Freeman back from Norway. Though traditionally a right back, he does have a wicked left foot that could come in very handy at LB.
jdg is not mls calbre but peterson is? iam not jdg biggest fan but he is good enough for mls.

colman1860
10-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Starting material:
Frei
Conway
Cann
Attakora
DeRosario
Maicon Santos

Capable backups
Nick Labrocca
Jacob Peterson
Chad Barrett
Dan Gargan

Good prospects:
Nick Lindsay
Doneil Henry
Emmanuel Gomez
Amadou Sanyang

Everyone else:
Nice Knowing You.

Agreed with everything except the bolded part. It was not very nice at all, unfortunately.

Derko
10-24-2010, 11:25 AM

Agreed, I think that Lindsay will develop as well as Nana has, another local kid that looks good.

bigtfcfan
10-24-2010, 12:19 PM

LMAO

ExiledRed
10-24-2010, 12:31 PM

Not on a cup winning team he isnt, and thats the problem.

Jloome's got it right, he's a capable backup, definitely someone you can have on the bench to wear out the opposition later in the game with his ceaseless running, but he's getting paid too much for this role.

Losing Barrett is gaining $212,000 or something thereabouts. You cant tell me that money couldn't be better spent.

TFC USA
10-24-2010, 01:00 PM
I want to have De Rosario's baby.

Our fucking midfielder nearly won the golden boot.

ArmenJBX
10-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Julian de Guzman looks LOST out there. Literally LOST. He has NO IDEA where to go or what to do. If that's bad coaching, well, we need to fix that. If not, it's on him.

As of right now, he's a fancy fucking name and nothing more. He does shit for this team going forward or back. He lets easy interceptions fly by him and when he attempts a pass it's to the other team or completely no where.

Seriously. Enough is enough with the JDG love. If he wasn't a DP and Canadian everyone would be on his case. He's the biggest waste of money on our squad bar none.

TFC USA
10-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Agreed. I can't fucking stand JDG and he passes as well as Ryan Leaf.

Please get rid of him.

spark
10-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Not 100% sure on that re JDG. If you watch him an entire game you'll see his teammates rely on him far too much and especially coming out of the back and in the midfield it seems like they live by the motto "when in doubt, give it to Julian". To me he seems like the only player who is consistently moving into space and making himself available for a pass.

Re Peterson, it should be noted that the form he brought to Colorado was part of a team that didn't make the post season 3 of his four seasons.

My opinion - this "if" "hopeful" "when" kind of statements re players needs to end. We need proven players - the list of jloome's 'keepers' are proven that they can do their job each week (save for an off game here an there). The rest are not, that is why IMO Barrett needs to go, LaBrocca and Peterson can stay but as noted are depth players because they are not proven starters on winning teams.

Roogsy
10-24-2010, 01:42 PM

Jloome's got it right, he's a capable backup, definitely someone you can have on the bench to wear out the opposition later in the game with his ceaseless running, but he's getting paid too much for this role.

Losing Barrett is gaining $212,000 or something thereabouts. You cant tell me that money couldn't be better spent.

QFT...

TFCRegina
10-24-2010, 01:46 PM

Good old FIFA trader again.

Norway is simply a better league than MLS. Good luck with that.

We can't just dump JDG because we still end up paying for his salary. That means one more year of JDG.

Gilberto Silva would be another JDG because he'd be another designated player. Why would we spend lots of money on another DM?

Edgar: I'm in favour of bringing Edgar in on loan to play CB but LB is not his natural position. He's a natural centre-half and I have doubts that he'd be all that effective as a leftback.

Stalteri is a right back why would we use him as a leftback? Especially when he hasn't been all that special for the CMNT in recent days and he's not getting ANY minutes in Germany any more. He's lucky if he's included in the game squad.

prizby
10-24-2010, 01:47 PM

second leading scorer on this team for a guy who only really played 2/3's of the season at 212,000

goals are at a premium in this league and you are lost...not everyone is gonna have a WONDERlowski

ArmenJBX
10-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Good old FIFA trader again.

Norway is simply a better league than MLS. Good luck with that.

We can't just dump JDG because we still end up paying for his salary. That means one more year of JDG.

Gilberto Silva would be another JDG because he'd be another designated player. Why would we spend lots of money on another DM?

Edgar: I'm in favour of bringing Edgar in on loan to play CB but LB is not his natural position. He's a natural centre-half and I have doubts that he'd be all that effective as a leftback.

Stalteri is a right back why would we use him as a leftback? Especially when he hasn't been all that special for the CMNT in recent days and he's not getting ANY minutes in Germany any more. He's lucky if he's included in the game squad.

If I were in charge, I'd get those 1 or 2 players that people didn't think were possible because they're "FIFA trader" talk.

But I'm sure that the realisitic players we can sign will work well... I hear there's this guy named Marco Velez we could go after, maybe Kevin Harmse? Hmm, I dunno, seems like some real quality guys. Yesterday, Julius James, a player for DC, seems like a good pickup.

I'll take 1 of Hunter Freeman who may be unrealistic to sign over 3 dusters any day.

TFCRegina
10-24-2010, 02:15 PM
second leading scorer on this team for a guy who only really played 2/3's of the season at 212,000

goals are at a premium in this league and you are lost...not everyone is gonna have a WONDERlowski

Plus, CB is on a guaranteed contract. I just love how everyone wants us to move these players who, regardless of whether they are here or not, are going to still be hitting our cap.

Players who still hit the cap need to be kept at TFC because it's dumb cutting them. And you won't find teams, likely anyway, that will pick up that cap hit. We were paying for Robbo this year, and hopefully we don't have to pay for him next year.

This isn't Football Manager, we can't just do as we please and suddenly replace players. There's no ability to unmask attributes, there's no perfect information.

Oh yeah, and Barrett scored more than any other player this year, bar De Ro.

TFCRegina
10-24-2010, 02:21 PM
If I were in charge, I'd get those 1 or 2 players that people didn't think were possible because they're "FIFA trader" talk.

But I'm sure that the realisitic players we can sign will work well... I hear there's this guy named Marco Velez we could go after, maybe Kevin Harmse? Hmm, I dunno, seems like some real quality guys. Yesterday, Julius James, a player for DC, seems like a good pickup.

I'll take 1 of Hunter Freeman who may be unrealistic to sign over 3 dusters any day.

Completely missing the point I made in the remaining 3/4s of my post.

I noticed you dropped your war drum on the moving guaranteed contracts. Excellent, but your chances of getting Freeman to come back from Norway are slim to none. You also made no comments about another DM as a designated player, go figure. No comments about Diesel being pretty much useless these days. You'd be the type of Mo that saddles us with the likes of Mista, retirement plan players.

No thanks, I'll take a much younger Kevin Harmse in hopes he turns out. Because really, the team with Kevin Harmse was better than the team with JDG.

ArmenJBX
10-24-2010, 02:28 PM
I gave realistic options as well.

Brian Carroll, Will Johnson, Brian Mullen, Michael Harrington.

If we cannot sign these players from their teams, the GM has no place running this squad. We need to establish ourselves as a top club, and the only way to do it is to buy top talent.

You're throwing Gilberto Silva at me like he's the make or break? He's an idea, and probably just that. I could have said a million names. Doesn't mean it has to happen.

If you'd take a younger Kevin Harmse and hope he'll make playoffs for you, you're gunna be disappointed for a loooong time. I'll buy Brian Carroll/Sam Cronin.
Even then, I said Ashton Morgan should be signed and that Lindsay can start. I don't oppose growth. I just want to supplement it with talent.

Stalteri can play wherever I tell him to play.

As for Hunter Freeman, I'm sure he's loving life in...Kristiansand, Norway.
Fuck Toronto eh? Huge party city, great home to athletes, but no, Norway is where it's at.

He's not getting signed in England. He'll spend his career there, just like every other American, until he's old, dropped, and wants to come back to MLS, where we welcome him with open arms. I say, skip the frivolities and show him that there's no future in Norway, and to at least establish yourself as a crucial piece in MLS, where you will eventually end up anyways.|

Here's what it ultimately comes down to, regarding Julian de Guzman.

The team was not good enough when he wasn't here. The team did no better with him here. Ergo, fuck de Guzman. We don't need to keep his talentless ass in this city any more. He showed this season he just is not a valuable asset, and the only reason to keep him here is if he took a substantial pay cut, say the $200,000 range, which is what his talent and output is worth.

ExiledRed
10-24-2010, 02:29 PM

The second leading scorer on this team, yes. Try and think about that.

You're telling me we couldn't get a better, more consistent forward with a higher soccer IQ, for $212,000 ?

Or are you telling me we should keep him on for sentimental reasons?

DoubleUp
10-24-2010, 03:00 PM
I realized something about dero last night. I always thought him totally selfish, but didnt know why, thinking it was entirely ego. But watching some good runs last night and a few unbelievable passes, from lyndsay especially. I focused on dero, and here it is...he cant pass. For all his talents putting the ball on a teammates foot isnt one of them. And if my history was mostly screwing up passes id hold the ball too long too. Shows why dero needs to play up top and not be a ball holding player...because the boy can hit a net.

I thought we all knew this of Dero, hence why I never supported him as an ATm. I reiterate NEVER. if you play Dero barrett santos out of the 3 Santos is the closest to an attacking mid then Barrett.

prizby
10-24-2010, 03:03 PM
The second leading scorer on this team, yes. Try and think about that.

You're telling me we couldn't get a better, more consistent forward with a higher soccer IQ, for $212,000 ?

Or are you telling me we should keep him on for sentimental reasons?

look at TFC's record this season when he was a starter vs. when he wasn't starting vs. when he didn't dress or see the pitch

that should be evidence enough

TFCtoMUFC
10-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Agreed. I can't fucking stand JDG and he passes as well as Ryan Leaf.

Please get rid of him.

I'm a Chargers fan. 1-15 for for 4 yards and 5 turnovers. JDG is better.

ExiledRed
10-24-2010, 03:37 PM
look at TFC's record this season when he was a starter vs. when he wasn't starting vs. when he didn't dress or see the pitch

that should be evidence enough

Evidence enough that he's an average striker on a poor team with no offensive strength? yep. If we'd had Santos the full season, the stats might be different. Santos at least has a fantastic first touch, excellent finishing and reads the game much better.

Im trying to point out that moving forward, if this team is going to be a championship team, it cannot fork out top player money for the 'above average' league players like Barrett.

You could get 2 above average forwards for $212,000 or a stronger player altogether.

TFCRegina
10-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Evidence enough that he's an average striker on a poor team with no offensive strength? yep. If we'd had Santos the full season, the stats might be different. Santos at least has a fantastic first touch, excellent finishing and reads the game much better.

Im trying to point out that moving forward, if this team is going to be a championship team, it cannot fork out top player money for the 'above average' league players like Barrett.

You could get 2 above average forwards for $212,000 or a stronger player altogether.

And it's a moot point because you could get 0 forwards if we're still taking the cap hit from his guaranteed contract.

Barrett is with us for two years, if we can't move him to Portland. And I'm not in favour of getting rid of him regardless.

ArmenJBX
10-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Chad Barrett is not the reason we didn't finish strong this year.

He is, however, not a starter for this team anymore. Maicon Santos and De Rosario are our two starting strikers. I thought Maicon would give up when Preki left but I see now that he's loving his soccer still, if not more than before.

Maicon is a real catch, someone Preki found by himself...it's funny how much one man can ruin a team (ahem Mo)

However, the curse that plagues this team and makes us look like amateur loser idiots is still here. The pass back to the goalkeeper, who hoofs it and gives away possession. It's moronic. It's stupid. It's a waste of a good chance, and a waste of possession. It symbolizes everything that is wrong with this teams tactics. It needs to stop.

jabbronies
10-24-2010, 03:57 PM
I gotta agree with ExiledRed on this - We can get better value from 212K than Chad Barrett - not only is he inconsistent - he's starting to show us that he is injury prone.

Get him at 125-150K and I say keep him. 200K + not worth it IMO.

ExiledRed
10-24-2010, 04:16 PM
And it's a moot point because you could get 0 forwards if we're still taking the cap hit from his guaranteed contract.

Barrett is with us for two years, if we can't move him to Portland.

And why is that? Simple. Because no other team would want to buy that contract, and the reason is...........

Do you think Barrett would be a starter on New York, LA or Columbus?

ag futbol
10-24-2010, 05:53 PM
You know what?

I watched Kyle Beckerman pre-salt lake makeover and thought: what's the big deal about this guy? He seemed to have many of the same problems as JDG, couldn't find the man to pass the ball to and never seemed to know his place on the field. Once they re-created their team he was a totally different player. I think JDG could see a similar shift.

Now, does it make sense to pay JDG DP money to do what Beckerman does on a weekly basis? um, no but we probably don't have a choice in the matter. We're stuck eating that contract whether we want to or not. Better make the most of it.

Heathen
10-24-2010, 07:11 PM
You know what?

I watched Kyle Beckerman pre-salt lake makeover and thought: what's the big deal about this guy? He seemed to have many of the same problems as JDG, couldn't find the man to pass the ball to and never seemed to know his place on the field. Once they re-created their team he was a totally different player. I think JDG could see a similar shift.

Now, does it make sense to pay JDG DP money to do what Beckerman does on a weekly basis? um, no but we probably don't have a choice in the matter. We're stuck eating that contract whether we want to or not. Better make the most of it.

Personally I rated Beckerman from the first time he came to BMO back with Colorado. JDG needs to slow down, he's doing everything ten times too fast. I'd suspect its because he knows he doesn't have as much as time on the ball as he did in La Liga so he's overcompensating. Having said that he's been here over a season now so if he hasn't acclimatized yet I'd be seriously worried he never will

oxygenatedbrain
10-24-2010, 08:06 PM
As for Hunter Freeman, I'm sure he's loving life in...Kristiansand, Norway.
Fuck Toronto eh? Huge party city, great home to athletes, but no, Norway is where it's at.

He's not getting signed in England. He'll spend his career there, just like every other American, until he's old, dropped, and wants to come back to MLS, where we welcome him with open arms. I say, skip the frivolities and show him that there's no future in Norway, and to at least establish yourself as a crucial piece in MLS, where you will eventually end up anyways.

Obscure detail: We don't own Freeman's rights...they reverted to RBNY January 1, 2010. Had he returned (to MLS and to TFC) before that, we would have had to ship Red Bulls our upcoming 2nd round pick.

I only mention it because you seem to care...

ArmenJBX
10-24-2010, 08:08 PM
I'd take freeman for a second rounder.

Chevy
10-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Personally I rated Beckerman from the first time he came to BMO back with Colorado. JDG needs to slow down, he's doing everything ten times too fast. I'd suspect its because he knows he doesn't have as much as time on the ball as he did in La Liga so he's overcompensating. Having said that he's been here over a season now so if he hasn't acclimatized yet I'd be seriously worried he never will

That's crazy talk! :facepalm:

Brooker
10-24-2010, 08:19 PM
JDG needs to slow down, he's doing everything ten times too fast.

+1111111111

zeelaw
10-24-2010, 08:28 PM
All I can say is... WHERE THE FUCK WAS THIS IN NEW YORK LAST YEAR!!!

TFC_Central
10-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Santos > Barrett
Lets get santos back next year. He is a dece 2nd string striker.

TFC_Central
10-25-2010, 08:10 PM

lol @ this. i'd drop him off the team. Can't hit the broadside of a barn, and injures himself every two games.

Sullivan
10-25-2010, 08:43 PM
too bad we couldn't blow the game and go for the better draft picks

TFC finishes 8th; a loss would have created a drop to 7th.
TFC's natural picks are:
Round 1, 8th overall
Round 2, 26th overall
Round 4, 62nd overall

TFC holds 3 other picks obtained via trades.
Tentatively:
Round 3, 43* (Houston)
Round 3, 48* (Colorado)
Round 4, 69* (New York)
* Draft position reflective of playoff record.

An 8th round pick is a top 4 graduating senior; or a top 5 Gen A.
Just depends on the other teams.

A top 5 graduating senior should be able to play decent minutes next year.

SuperDraft 2011 is Thursday January 13, in Baltimore.
ESPN will cover round 1 on ESPN2, starting at 2:00 PM.
4 rounds, 18 picks per round, 72 players in total.

So far, MLS has already signed their first Gen A player, Texas native Omar Salgado, a 16 yr old forward who stands 6'4, 170 who plays on the US u20. He left Chivas Chivas de Guadalajara, he was part of the Mexico u20 program as both his parents are Mexican. What's interesting is both Vancouver and Portland have an interest in him. Because he is u18, his loan to the Whitecaps was shelved, so now he's training with Portland. Regardless, seems unlikly that he falls to the TFC pick.

Word is, this year's Gen A class will be the largest. I've heard 15 from an adidas rep, and and 18 from the NCAA crowd.

Yohan
10-26-2010, 05:50 AM
ah yes. the chad barrett lynch mob comes out.

where were you guys when barrett was potting in goals early in the season and TFC was winning games? or did you guys noticed that when DeRo had his dry spells and Barrett was injured, TFC wasn't scoring goals? 7 goals this season, plus 4 in NCC and CCL? probably would have got more if it wasn't for injuries. and i'm pretty sure he played not fully recovered and reinjured himself, losing more games.

the lad shown more heart and effort and shown himself to be a team player. just what does he have to do to win some fans around here?

Shakes McQueen
10-26-2010, 07:41 AM
I think Barrett's lengthy injury spell was the key to the team falling apart during the summer stretch, and the key to DeRo's production drying up for weeks. Barrett was a huge part of what drove the offense early in the season (even when he personally wasn't scoring the goals), and the team simply didn't have the depth or talent to operate in his absence. It was a house of cards. And by the time he came back, the damage had been done - the team was in a downward spiral, on and off the field.

I think Barrett absolutely can be a solid starter in this league, though I'd like to see him transitioned to the wings, as opposed to a target man up front. I think he has a skill set that better suits him to the wings, and you could still use him as a backup striker in a pinch.

Barrett was near the bottom of the list of this team's problems, this season.

- Scott

ExiledRed
10-26-2010, 07:55 AM
the lad shown more heart and effort and shown himself to be a team player. just what does he have to do to win some fans around here?

Take a large paycut, he's not that good and we need the money.

Roogsy
10-26-2010, 08:13 AM

Like with everyone else, produce.

Roogsy
10-26-2010, 08:16 AM
I think Barrett's lengthy injury spell was the key to the team falling apart during the summer stretch, and the key to DeRo's production drying up for weeks.

I'd just like to point out Rooney warned us about the midseason injuries when Preki was brought on initially on board. It's a byproduct of his training style and wears out and breaks down the players over the course of the year, which coupled with TFC's usual bad form during the summer was a recipe for disaster.

brad
10-26-2010, 08:18 AM
I think Barrett's lengthy injury spell was the key to the team falling apart during the summer stretch, and the key to DeRo's production drying up for weeks.

Really? I thought the key to the team falling apart was progressing in the Champions League and having to play far to many games in a short period with a small squad, thus burning the team out.

ExiledRed
10-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Really? I thought the key to the team falling apart was progressing in the Champions League and having to play far to many games in a short period with a small squad, thus burning the team out.

Of course it was, the absence of an inconsistent striker shouldnt bring any team to its knees, the suggestion that it did is beyond absurd.

Look around the rest of the league people, pick me one team thats made the playoffs and tell me Chad Barrett would be $212,000 starter on that team.

If you're ready to admit that he wouldnt make the cut in those teams then you should understand that we are trying to get to the same level or above, and he shouldnt make the cut for us either.