PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Oct.20

denime
10-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Mornin'

Toronto Supporters Are MLS Model (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/10/toronto-supporters-are-mls-model)

Morgan Debut Opens Eyes (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/10/morgan-debut-opens-eyes)

TFC-town-hall-meeting-part-3 (http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/10/tfc-town-hall-meeting-part-3/)

Garber: Fans brought MLS Cup 2010 to Toronto (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/452476144?-19896)

SUNSHINE_:) (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

ensco
10-21-2010, 06:36 AM
Search for GM continues at ACC

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/878286--new-canadians-sworn-in-at-leafs-dressing-room?bn=1

ArmenJBX
10-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Article on rednationonline regarding Ashton Morgan's immanent signing, Lindsays performance and Toronto's possible strategy in this years draft.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/The_Hunger_of_Youth_october_20_10_news.shtml

London
10-21-2010, 07:04 AM
now people can see why they should be attending academy matches,

talent

Oldtimer
10-21-2010, 07:56 AM
On the substance side of the meeting itself there was not much new information to report that was not covered off in my earlier two reports about issues off the field. However some positions the club held appear to be slightly changing. In the first two sessions I attended Tom Anselmi stated that he felt the biggest thing he felt fans were angry about was season ticket sticker shock more due to the inclusion of additional games like the CONCACAF matches and the MLS Cup rather than the per game increases. Ansemli stated on Wednesday however that he was now very much aware that it was of course the opposite for a larger segment of the fan base that he was aware of going before going into the Town Halls.
We can accuse Anselmi of stupidity for keeping Mo so long, but at least we can't accuse him of not listening. He's changed his tune.

On the field issues were more of a point of discussion on Wednesday than in the first two meetings I was involved in. Assistant GM Jim Brennan spoke to the future of the club on the pitch, and he spoke in significantly more detail than previously. Brennan stated that as part of this renewal Toronto FC needs to find and embrace a true style of play/philosophy that can be used to build the club around. He lamented that in the past four years there has been way too much “kick and run” played by TFC and that he wants the club to embrace more of an “...on the deck…free flowing style of football...”. He also stated that there will be less of an emphasis placed on recruitment from the British Isles and more of a focus placed on Central and South America for affordable players that are willing to play here and embrace this style of play. When asked about “the revolving door” on the dressing room that saw the club go through more than 80 players in four seasons, Jimmy and Interim GM Earl Cochrane confirmed that they do envision at least one more off season of wholesale changes (this one!). A staffer off line opined to me that he thinks that at least a dozen or more on the current roster will be moving on soon.
This seems to be the right direction, one we've been saying for years. Maybe a lot of us are cynical due to MoJo's lies over the years, but I think we should give Jimmy a chance here.

I doubt its too controversial to say that the current squad isn't good enough and major changes need to be made (hopefully for the last time).

scooter
10-21-2010, 08:04 AM
mornin d

and yes oh yes academy players are the long term future

Technorgasm
10-21-2010, 08:22 AM

talent

I think teh CSL games are more fun. . . .
more of a dirty bandit town fell to them. . I like bandit towns. .

MILL-TOWN !!!

DangerRed
10-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Wow -- at least a dozen guys moving on in the offseason... Wild stuff. One thing MLSE is definitely being straight up about is how different this place will (again) look next year.

Beach_Red
10-21-2010, 09:34 AM
We can accuse Anselmi of stupidity for keeping Mo so long, but at least we can't accuse him of not listening. He's changed his tune.

This seems to be the right direction, one we've been saying for years. Maybe a lot of us are cynical due to MoJo's lies over the years, but I think we should give Jimmy a chance here.

I doubt its too controversial to say that the current squad isn't good enough and major changes need to be made (hopefully for the last time).

Why do we have such low standards?

Every sports team at some point fires their GM/coach, the epxression is, "Hied to be fired." Everyone knows it. And yet these guys, even though they run two other major sports teams, seem to have done it on a whim with no plan. They STILL haven't announced a consultant to start looking for a new guy to run the team.

And we want to give them credit for "listening" when 10,000 people are screaming at them?

Or no, wait, really, they're "listening" because ticket sales are down. If renewals were at last year's rate they wouldn't be "listening."

Look, I want this team to be successful, I want to see improvements, but please, until they actually DO something maybe we shouldn't be patting them on the back so hard.

Oldtimer
10-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Anselmi has realized that high per-game prices is an issue. That's progress.

That didn't come from non-renewals. That came from the Town Halls.

menefreghista
10-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Anselmi has realized that high per-game prices is an issue. That's progress.

That didn't come from non-renewals. That came from the Town Halls.

I don't think that's the full story. He realizes that high per-game increases for a shit team are an issue.

But he also realizes its easier to raise prices for a team that is performing well.

Red Rat
10-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Garber is so worried about the MLS cup Cup that he is willing to say anything about SG in Toronto. I am getting sick of it

billyfly
10-21-2010, 11:06 AM
There's still news?

TFCRegina
10-21-2010, 11:11 AM

talent

The other thing is, if our guys attend CSL matches and boost attendance revenues, the CSL actually has incentive to improve, which means TFC Academy has incentive to improve.

I think it's important that the CSL exists and gets better. I also think it's important that it gets larger. More expansion is needed. People can talk all they want about diluting the talent pool, but at that level there's so little absorbing power on the demand side for players (IE: Teams demanding players) that there's not much dilution at all.

Lots and lots of soccer players in North America. Nowhere for them to go.

Stouffville_RPB
10-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Article on rednationonline regarding Ashton Morgan's immanent signing, Lindsays performance and Toronto's possible strategy in this years draft.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/The_Hunger_of_Youth_october_20_10_news.shtml

Dasovic also said something in his post game scrum about how Morgan was almost signed 2 years ago but roster rule restrictions came into play.

I think we'll see him again next year.

One thing about all the academy kids that have seen the field. Everyone of them can play. The are fast, can pass and are good on the ball. Everyone on the roster should be looking over their shoulder.

denime
10-21-2010, 11:57 AM
I think academy is way to go,draft will be dead in few years.As far TFC future goes all they have to do is scout in GTA,within 5 million ppl living in gta,there is more than enough talent to feed the TFC 1st team in years to come.

rocker
10-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Garber is so worried about the MLS cup Cup that he is willing to say anything about SG in Toronto.

what did Garber say about the Sunshine Girl!?!??!?! ;) ;)

Pigfynn
10-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Wileman just confirmed that Kocic will start in net vs DC on is Twitter.

That's got to be it for Stefan Frei eh? They must be protecting him from injury in order to not screw up some kind of transfer. I might be totally wrong but how many games has that been now?

Auzzy
10-21-2010, 01:00 PM
^ Or it could just as well be to allow Kocic to prove himself in the big league, and enhance his value, after very little TFC playing time during the rest of the season. They have consistently used the backup keepers whenever possible -- especially during meaningless games. Conway isn't available due to his red card.

I think any of the keepers are trade-able for a price (maybe Conway less so due to age). It's the one position where they have both great starters & great backup (even if Frei is the best of the three of course).

Wull
10-21-2010, 01:00 PM

That's got to be it for Stefan Frei eh? They must be protecting him from injury in order to not screw up some kind of transfer. I might be totally wrong but how many games has that been now?

If that's the case he should have been brought out onto the pitch on Saturday for us to say thank you

rocker
10-21-2010, 01:03 PM
^ Or it could just as well be to allow Kocic to prove himself in the big league, and enhance his value, after very little TFC playing time during the rest of the season. They have consistently used the backup keepers whenever possible -- especially during meaningless games. Conway isn't available due to his red card.

I think any of the keepers are trade-able for a price (maybe Conway less so due to age). It's the one position where they have both great starters & great backup (even if Frei is the best of the three of course).

personally, I'd like to see what Kocic can do. Seeing an asset in MLS action isn't a bad thing.

It may help to decide if they keep Conway or Kocic for next season...

even if Frei is going, do they need another starting keeper or backup or is Conway/kocic enough?

Corpand
10-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Don't think it's worth it's own thread (yet) but know for a fact that Rohan Ricketts has Toronto on his mind. He's in Europe right now and I was just told earlier this morning that the interest is there from Toronto. Not saying more as he is under contract with his current club and that has to be respected.

I'm slightly biased but think under the right coaching he could regain his form. He is very fit at the moment.

Thoughts?

Auzzy
10-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Don't think it's worth it's own thread (yet) but know for a fact that Rohan Ricketts has Toronto on his mind. He's in Europe right now and I was just told earlier this morning that the interest is there from Toronto. Not saying more as he is under contract with his current club and that has to be respected.

I'm slightly biased but think under the right coaching he could regain his form. He is very fit at the moment.

Thoughts?

He would probably be a great replacement for that TFC media lady who recently left... (Lisette?).... Just sayin'...

CoachGT
10-21-2010, 01:08 PM

Or, as he said to me at the end of the Columbus game, he's just resting after a long season. I can keep repeating it, but he is happy here and wants to stay.

TFC07
10-21-2010, 01:09 PM

Thoughts?

If he comes back, hopefully he doesn't get paid more than $90K. Don't want to waste valuable cap space on Ricketts (no offence to Ricketts fans on here).

Chevy
10-21-2010, 01:11 PM
If that's the case he should have been brought out onto the pitch on Saturday for us to say thank you

I think he was out there, wasn't he?

rocker
10-21-2010, 01:13 PM
I think he was out there, wasn't he?

He was. He was dressed in a fine suit AND walked on the field.

So anyone who wanted to wave goodbye to him then could have. I did.

Pigfynn
10-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Or, as he said to me at the end of the Columbus game, he's just resting after a long season. I can keep repeating it, but he is happy here and wants to stay.

Like I said, I could be totally wrong. Although, I doubt Frei would have said that there was a big offer coming in for him and that he would be moving on even if he was asked.

I hope he stays, ofcourse. Time will tell.

Red CB Toronto
10-21-2010, 02:37 PM
I am looking forward to seeing Milos in net against the United. Giving him the start against his former team should be great, he will go all out to beat them while also making up for the goal he gave up last Saturday.

Keystone FC
10-22-2010, 04:32 AM
There's still news?
Just wait til AFTER the MLS Cup...that's when the real fun begins (TFC GM/ Coach, Expansion Draft, Vancouver & Portland shinanegans, MTL getting ready for 2012) this off season is going to be FULL of news and rumors covering everything.

Wull
10-22-2010, 06:17 AM
He was. He was dressed in a fine suit AND walked on the field.

So anyone who wanted to wave goodbye to him then could have. I did.

I meant the way Danny was, formally and specifically for him