PDA

View Full Version : SJ has a discovery on Ali Gerba

olegunnar
06-26-2008, 07:47 PM
And Mo met with Jamie Peters last year but he makes far too much for MLS to be an option.
Good news maybe is there are supposed to be Canadians in the squad next year that will excited the fans.

All from Mo just now on Extra Time.

RedRum
06-26-2008, 07:52 PM
MLS better step in and give SJ a slap. Fucking ridiculous that we dont have dibs on him.

werewolf
06-26-2008, 07:52 PM
we have dibs on Huckerby, they have dibs on Gerba.....trade...? :noidea:

Leprechaun
06-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Peters would be amazing here in Toronto. He would tear apart defences with his speed. Might be a good option for im to re-spark his career. Isn't he on loan right now to an English League 2 club?

DigzTFC!
06-26-2008, 08:06 PM
No offence to SJ, but I find it hard to believe that Gerba or Huckerby would want to play in a baseball field for 3 years....My knee jerk reaction would be we should have dibs on Gerba, but these are the rules. Rules that have given us the rights to McBride. I think this is their bargaining chip to get Huckerby. I'd rather have Gerba (25 years old and Canadian). Huckerby would be a two year solution, like Robert.

H Bomb
06-26-2008, 08:07 PM
we have dibs on Huckerby, they have dibs on Gerba.....trade...? :noidea:

Noooooo. ones proven the other isn't. We aren't a charity, go with the track record.

NF-FC
06-26-2008, 08:09 PM
fuck, Yallop is trying to get us by the short and curlies.

NF-FC
06-26-2008, 08:11 PM
to Chicago: Mcbride
to San Jose: Huckerby
to Toronto: Ali Gerba, full allocation from San Jose, full allocation from Chicago, Rolfe, Chi 2nd round draft pick

oxygenatedbrain
06-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Is there actually any source on Mo having any interest in Gerba, or Gerba having any interest in TFC?

DigzTFC!
06-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Noooooo. ones proven the other isn't. We aren't a charity, go with the track record.

I agree Huckerby has a better track record, but going forward Gerba might be a better selection (health and longevity). Plus, if we get Huckerby, we will not be able to afford a DP, whereas Gerba we would. I'm convinced Huckerby will not be our DP, but I could be wrong.

Rudi
06-26-2008, 08:17 PM
No offence to SJ, but I find it hard to believe that Gerba or Huckerby would want to play in a baseball field for 3 years....My knee jerk reaction would be we should have dibs on Gerba, but these are the rules. Rules that have given us the rights to McBride. I think this is their bargaining chip to get Huckerby. I'd rather have Gerba (25 years old and Canadian). Huckerby would be a two year solution, like Robert.
San Jose doesn't play at a baseball stadium.

They play most of their games at Buck Shaw, UC Santa Clara's soccer stadium. They do play their 'big' games (Beckham, Blanco) at McAfee Coliseum, though. But that's three games out of 30.

olegunnar
06-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Is there actually any source on Mo having any interest in Gerba, or Gerba having any interest in TFC?

Every thursday night Mo is a guest on Extra Time.
So tonight when asked (someone e-mailed and asked about Gerba) Mo said no, SJ has the discovery claim

NF-FC
06-26-2008, 08:18 PM

pure speculation. this is the type of player i think MLSE thought would flock back to Canada to play for them in the first place. i think they'd be foolish to pass on it

Razcle
06-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Ha...This thread is funny....I am really unconcerned at this moment...If Mo really wanted Gerba...we would have him by now.

ag futbol
06-26-2008, 08:21 PM
We'll have to see.

I'm more than willing to bet that MLS is thoroughly going to re-examine these rules in the off-season, as they seem to be nothing but a barrier to signing talent.

Maybe it's best to take advantage of our position while we still have it.

dantdot
06-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Not sure if anyone's posted this but they have episode 2 and 3 on their site http://goltv.ca/
video > latest

DigzTFC!
06-26-2008, 08:27 PM
San Jose doesn't play at a baseball stadium.

They play most of their games at Buck Shaw, UC Santa Clara's soccer stadium. They do play their 'big' games (Beckham, Blanco) at McAfee Coliseum, though. But that's three games out of 30.

Just to defend my knowledge....Buck Shaw was a baseball stadium. Hence not having seats on one side. McAfee is a football and baseball stadium. I wouldn't have said anything, but you didn't make any statement about the topic of the thread

or how about it sucks to play in front of 10k on a regular basis

NF-FC
06-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Ha...This thread is funny....I am really unconcerned at this moment...If Mo really wanted Gerba...we would have him by now.

by that token, if chicago really wanted mcbride they'd have him by now

Rudi
06-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Just to defend my knowledge....Buck Shaw was a baseball stadium. Hence not having seats on one side. McAfee is a football and baseball stadium.Buck Shaw is three-sided.

It was renovated over the off-season, having the opposite side to the original grandstand added.

http://sjearthquakes.mlsnet.com/t110/imgs/tickets/2007/seating_map_lg.gif

From all accounts it is a very intimate soccer-only stadium now, with a top-notch pitch.

I wouldn't have said anything, but you didn't make any statement about the topic of the thread

or how about it sucks to play in front of 10k on a regular basis
Huh? You're the one who brought up Buck Shaw, I was simply correcting you.

Right now Gerba's playing in front of 0 fans on a regular basis. There are far worse places to live and work than the Bay Area.

colman1860
06-26-2008, 11:25 PM
MLS better step in and give SJ a slap. Fucking ridiculous that we dont have dibs on him.

Substitute Toronto for SJ and McBride for Gerba and you have what all chicago fans are saying right now. We dont want MLS interfering in this sort of thing.

jloome
06-26-2008, 11:40 PM
God help us, we don't want Gerba. He's a total flameout in his European career, a poacher of USL standard. I don't care that he scores goals for Canada, usually against fairly dubious opposition. To suggest taking him over Huckerby is absolute insanity. That's like suggesting we take Poz over Robert.

TFC07
06-26-2008, 11:57 PM
to Chicago: Mcbride
to San Jose: Huckerby
to Toronto: Ali Gerba, full allocation from San Jose, full allocation from Chicago, rights of Will Johnson, Chi 2nd round draft pick

Fixed*

They're not going to give up Rolfe to us.

EDIT: We already got tons of allocation from San Jose with O'Brien trade. Not sure how much they have left now?

TFC07
06-26-2008, 11:59 PM
God help us, we don't want Gerba. He's a total flameout in his European career, a poacher of USL standard. I don't care that he scores goals for Canada, usually against fairly dubious opposition. To suggest taking him over Huckerby is absolute insanity. That's like suggesting we take Poz over Robert.

But you can say the same thing with half of teams in MLS. Not a lot of teams defend well in MLS.

Gerba would be nice addition for us.

Huckerby better not be our DP signing. He's old championship league player who is an injury prone.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-27-2008, 01:25 AM
Does anyone know the mechanic of the discovery signing process? I mean can team file as many as the want? What’s to stop a team from filling them on all-and-sundry?

jloome
06-27-2008, 01:35 AM
But you can say the same thing with half of teams in MLS. Not a lot of teams defend well in MLS.

Gerba would be nice addition for us.

Huckerby better not be our DP signing. He's old championship league player who is an injury prone.

Very injury prone; but consider this: he's better in his sleep as a pure goal scorer than anyone we have on this team (scored 1-in-4 from the wing at Norwich and 1-in-2 when they played him at striker), and was twice his team's player of the year as well as going into their hall of fame. This is keeping in mind that there are many of us who feel the CCC is stronger than MLS.

And if we signed him as a DP now, it would only be $200,000 against the cap until the end of the season. THe team could always sign him on a six-month then negotiate future time after that.

Shaughno
06-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Very injury prone; but consider this: he's better in his sleep as a pure goal scorer than anyone we have on this team (scored 1-in-4 from the wing at Norwich and 1-in-2 when they played him at striker), and was twice his team's player of the year as well as going into their hall of fame. This is keeping in mind that there are many of us who feel the CCC is stronger than MLS.

And if we signed him as a DP now, it would only be $200,000 against the cap until the end of the season. THe team could always sign him on a six-month then negotiate future time after that.

The Huckerby situation is something I've thought through more and more as the season's gone on. Give him a 6 month contract with the option to renegotiate at the end of the season. Give him the DP salary as it only costs us $200k against the cap, and we've got a solid goal scorer for the important part of the season. Gives us more time to look for a proper DP player for next season and who knows, maybe Huckerby likes it and stays on for less than DP salary next year.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Theres defo a reason as to why Mo didnt hunt down Gerba.
Im ok with it.
Still dunno bout Huckerby tho...

Shaughno
06-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Gerba is a decent player, but for the money I would think we can probably get a better player. Mind you, it would be interesting to see what he can do in front of Guevara/Ricketts/Robert.

brad
06-27-2008, 07:52 AM
I'd be happy with Gerba as a depth player, if he was cheap enough.

DigzTFC!
06-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Buck Shaw is three-sided.

It was renovated over the off-season, having the opposite side to the original grandstand added.

http://sjearthquakes.mlsnet.com/t110/imgs/tickets/2007/seating_map_lg.gif

From all accounts it is a very intimate soccer-only stadium now, with a top-notch pitch.

Huh? You're the one who brought up Buck Shaw, I was simply correcting you.

Right now Gerba's playing in front of 0 fans on a regular basis. There are far worse places to live and work than the Bay Area.

Rudi man, calm down. You brought up Buck Shaw in your first post. Go back and read it. It was a baseball stadium and was renovated (neither of us are wrong)....but it missing one side of seats. Look at your own picture. You said yourself its three sided. Not sure what we're arguing about except you might be offended by my statements of players not wanting to play there. I agree with you there are worse places to play....Kansas city. If Claudio Lopez doesn't mind playing there then maybe Huckerby won't mind SJ.

Billy the kid
06-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Does a team have to make contact with a player to file a discovery claim or can they just do that with any unsigned player? I assume you can only have one at a time.

rocker
06-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Does a team have to make contact with a player to file a discovery claim or can they just do that with any unsigned player? I assume you can only have one at a time.

They can make a discovery claim on anybody -- no need for contact.

A team can make 6 discovery claims per season and at the end of the season the unsigned claims expire.

Billy the kid
06-27-2008, 11:03 AM
They can make a discovery claim on anybody -- no need for contact.

A team can make 6 discovery claims per season and at the end of the season the unsigned claims expire.

I realize we've benefitted from the setup with Huckerby and with the allocation rule with McBride, but there are some weird rules in this league.

jloome
06-27-2008, 11:43 AM
^^ true, but they're also doing a good job of constraining growth so that spending doesn't get out of control. It's a mixed blessing, because it's keeping the league solvent (and profitable in quite a few places now) while also restricting who we can sign fairly substantially.

I think they know the real revenue and fanbase won't show until the sport as a whole is seen as popualr enough in the US to carry a weekly major network deal, ala baseball, football, basketball and golf. So they're taking incremental steps forward.

Shaughno
06-27-2008, 11:57 AM
^^ Agreed, I think they are VERY wary of going the way of the NASL and are taking every step possible to make sure they don't follow the same steps.

rocker
06-27-2008, 12:03 PM
i don't mind it as I know what it's like to be a fan of a team that can't compete financially with others. the team gets in a long rut and it's disappointing. once the league gets on better footing maybe they can do away with the added rules but keep the cap. I think the cap is great and essential.

Razcle
06-27-2008, 12:08 PM
by that token, if chicago really wanted mcbride they'd have him by now

No you are way off. Ali Gerba was available last season as well and Mo had a chance to file a discovery and didn't. I remember hearing that he wasn't impressed by the player...Remember Gerba has bounced a few times and Mo hasn't done anything about it. (although I don't remember if he was available before the 2007 season when we started)

Brian McBride on the other hand only became available this year and since TFC has the allocation we get his rights.

So different beast there NF-FC

Razcle
06-27-2008, 12:09 PM
HOW MUCH DOES ALI GERBA MAKE IN GERMANY. Everyone keeps talking about not worth Gerba's price tag....well what was he making prior to his release?

rocker
06-27-2008, 12:18 PM
a few years ago somebody on Voyageurs said Gerba was offered 150K by AIK in Sweden.
he signed with Goteborg and the talk was there was a lower base salary, but with incentives and a free house, car, and job for his wife.
So you'd think he'd need at least 200K to come back given inflation and the rise in the league itself three years later, since TFC isn't allowed to give him the other things.

has Gerba said he'd want to come to MLS?

I think anything beyond 150K would be too much for this guy, since he has proven absolutely nothing at the club level in Europe.