PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Draft / Wed Nov 24

Sullivan
10-16-2010, 08:08 PM
It'll be held on November 24, three days after MLS Cup 2010.

Existing 16 clubs must submit their list of 11 protected players to MLS by Nov. 22

The drafts:
Expansion Draft: Portland picks 1st; Vancouver has 2nd pick.
MLS SuperDraft: Vancouver has 1st pick; Portland is 2nd.

Expansion Rules (speculation)

10 rounds (20 players total).
No current club can lose more than two players.
When a club loses a player, it may move one unprotected player to the protected list.
If a club has two players claimed from their non-protected roster, that club is eliminated from the Expansion Draft.
A designated player with a no-trade clause must be protected.
Protecting a player does not obligate a team to exercise a contract option, contracts can be renegotiated.
Gen A & Homegrown players are exempt
Each club to protect a minimum of three international players. **Not sure on this one**
American players are not considered internationals for Toronto FC.
Canadians are considered internationals for American clubs.
And with a thought to the new CBA, out of contract free agents can move to new clubs as old clubs no longer have either compensation payments or retaining rights. So Clubs no longer will need to protect their free agents as the new CBA grants free movement to new clubs for out of contract players, no more compensation considerations or retaining rights.
EDIT: I've been told I've got this sorta right and sorta wrong - free agent players go through a "waiver / re-entry like draft".
I've ask for clarity, and was told to look at the new CBA. Problem is the on-line CBA is the old one. I'll keep looking.

Also, I'm waiting for clarity on this but a loan player can't be exposed because the loan is between two teams, not the league. But he can be protected if the MLS club maintains an interest.

I had some difficulty in identifying 11 players worthy of protection.
Player / Salary
1. Attakora $40,000
2. Cann $65,342
3. Conway $69,833
4. MeRO $443,750
5. Frei $135,000
6. Gargan $40,000
7. LaBrocca $79,500
8. Santos $93,000
9. Sanyang $46,555
10.Saric $90,000

11.TBD

JDG $1,717,546 - take him and his contract.
Garcia $198,750 - can we sell him to a glue factory.
Peterson $143,000 - he's been beaten so often he should next volunteer for Amnesty International.
Ibraim $133,000- sell him to Disney; he's good for next wizard of OZ production, he's got no heart, no brain and plays scared.
Hscanovics $120,250 - my brother, who has down's syndrome, has a higher footballing IQ.
Usanov - $102,250 - future 4th official or visiting team dressing room attendent.
Barrett $212,500 - he can be the most expensive hardest working player with a terribel touch on another roster.
White - $182,000 - What's the difference between OBW and an ambitious person? The ambitious person has goals.
Harden $40,000 - Once you accept that a dog is a dog, you can't get upset when it barks.
Nane $40,000 - TFC's version of a "tap up", his agent is Preki's brother, sort of explains why TFC drafted him.
Gala $40,000 - why protect someone we never see, even Daso isn't playing him.
Mista $987,337 - Whats the difference between Mista and Cinderella? Cinderella actually wanted to get to the ball.
Other expansion related stuff...
Allocation Ranking: Vancouver is 1st; Portland in 2nd.
Designated Player Ranking: Portland is 1st; Vancouver is 2nd.
Discovery Ranking: Portland is 17th; Vancouver is 18th.
Lottery Ranking: Portland is 17th; Vancouver is 18th.
USL Player Priority: Vancouver is 1st; Portland is 2nd.
Waiver/Re-Entry Draft: Vancouver is 17th; Portland is 18th.

Brennan, Cochrane and Dasovic are preparing and leading TFC through the expansion draft.

Mikey
10-16-2010, 08:20 PM
TFC version five coming to BMO soon ( about three or four weeks after the 2011 season has started probably....)

DichioTFC
10-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Player / Salary
1. Attakora $40,000
2. Cann $65,342
3. Conway $69,833
4. MeRO $443,750
5. Frei $135,000
6. Gargan $40,000
7. LaBrocca $79,500
8. Santos $93,000
9. Sanyang $46,555
10.JDG $1,717,546
11.Harden $40,000

Cut Saric and included JDG & Harden.

You have to be crazy if you think JDG is going to be sacrificed. Too much is invested in him and sure he's overpaid, but I still think he's worth having on the pitch.

Harden is being paid the league minimum, he's worth as much as a bench player.

Saric has got to go. He's not worth that much and he fouls like a bitch.

Borga
10-17-2010, 12:07 AM
As bad as our goal-scoring is, you're willing to lose Barrett? Dunno about that one.

prizby
10-17-2010, 12:19 AM
(so are GA promotions happening before the expansion draft...that would be nice to know)

Already Protected:

Frei (he is still GA)
Ibrahim (also still GA)
Henry (Acadamy)
Lindsay (Acadamy)

Protect (in no specific order)

1. Nana Attakora (stellar season, still improving)
2. Dan Gargan (fan favourite, hard worker)
3. Adrian Cann (does everything asked of a centre back)
4. Chad Barrett (second leading scorer on a team that lacks scoring)
5. Martin Saric (unfortunately the international protection quota makes him protected)
6. Maicon Santos (shown flashes of brilliance)
7. Amadou Sanyang (when you have had European teams looking at a player, you won't let him go)
8. Jacob Peterson (took him a while, but has really shown his form and why TFC picked him up in the first place
9. Gabe Gala (if he gets his work rate up, he could be a real good MLS player)
10. Emmanuel Gomez (might have forgot about him ehh)
11. Dwayne DeRosario (are you nuts not to protect him?)

So who gets cut from this list if TFC protect JDG, either Gala or Peterson

International unprotected: Usanov, Hscanovics, Mista...is Nane considered international?

sulfur
10-17-2010, 07:34 AM
Anyone graduating from the GA was not considered GA for the last two expansion drafts, I don't see why it would be different this year.

And Nane is an "American" player I believe.

Kooper
10-17-2010, 07:50 AM
As bad as our goal-scoring is, you're willing to lose Barrett? Dunno about that one.
Chad Barret is best used as a trade before the draft to Portland. My guess is that he would love to be the first player signed by his home town. Kind of a Jim Brennan signing. Now the tricky thing is that they don't really have anything of value except for a first round draft pick that they would be crazy to get rid of.

Nuvinho
10-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Chad Barret is best used as a trade before the draft to Portland. My guess is that he would love to be the first player signed by his home town. Kind of a Jim Brennan signing. Now the tricky thing is that they don't really have anything of value except for a first round draft pick that they would be crazy to get rid of.

switch of 1st round picks and/or allocation money.

Waggy
10-17-2010, 08:01 AM

You have to be crazy if you think JDG is going to be sacrificed. Too much is invested in him and sure he's overpaid, but I still think he's worth having on the pitch.

Harden is being paid the league minimum, he's worth as much as a bench player.

Saric has got to go. He's not worth that much and he fouls like a bitch.

I doubt JDG would be sacrificed, but why protect him? Who is going to pick him up at that salary? May as well protect a player who actually has a chance of getting selected. In the unlikely event we leave JDG unprotected and he goes, its an extra mil and change that we can basically force MLSE to spend, and a DP spot to spend it on.

Nuvinho
10-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Protected List:

1. Frei - probably graduates from GA
2. Nana
3. Cann
4. Sanyang (Intl)
5. DeRo
6. Gargan
7. Labrocca
8. Peterson
9. Barrett
10. Santos (Intl)
11. Saric (Intl) - Cheaper of the rest of the Intl crap

That is assuming that JDG doesn't have a no-trade clause.

What I would do if I was TFC, is try to get as many draft picks as possible. JPA will be available, and if Freddie Ljunberg went for a 2nd round pick. We can probably get JPA for a 2nd and 4th pick.

sulfur
10-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Protected List:

1. Frei - probably graduates from GA
Last year it was stated pre-season that his time in GA was complete after this season.

JPA is, I believe, the first DP free agent in the league, but his rights are still owned by NY. Go figure.

Kooper
10-17-2010, 08:22 AM

If I were a Portland fan I would be upset to lose the second pick in the draft for Chad. He is a hard worker but Chad is not good enough for a second round second overall pick. the MLS draft is a good way to get some decent MLS quality players and build for the future. Just look at all the players that TFC has drafted and other teams have used to build their futures.

As a TFC fan allocation money doesn't seem worth it since TFC seems to use trades for allocation money to dump salaries.

Nuvinho
10-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Last year it was stated pre-season that his time in GA was complete after this season.

JPA is, I believe, the first DP free agent in the league, but his rights are still owned by NY. Go figure.

I want JPA in Toronto. If they don't make a pitch for him, then I have no idea what direction this club is going. You have a chance to get a freakin' goal poacher in this league (that's not named Cunny or Ruiz..haha).

Kooper
10-17-2010, 08:38 AM
I want JPA in Toronto. If they don't make a pitch for him, then I have no idea what direction this club is going. You have a chance to get a freakin' goal poacher in this league (that's not named Cunny or Ruiz..haha).

Here is my issue with JPA and it has nothing to do with his ability, attitude or passion. He in fact could be a really good pick up when combined with Dero playing behind him.

TFC seems to be reading the message boards and hiring the players we want with mixed results. JDG, Gerba, and Serioux were all called for by us and didn't perform as we had hoped. TFC's coaching and scouting staff should be out there finding the players that we/other MLS teams/pundits have not heard of. If we are always going after the 'big' names we will always pay too much for what are essentially squad players.

Sadly TFC does not have a good history of signing unknown players either, Hscanovic, Usamov, Vitti, Ruiz, Welsh, Sangyang, Gomez, Saric...

prizby
10-17-2010, 08:39 AM

while we are guessing here...did you actually guess he was from Portland, im gonna guess that a guy from San Diego has no more interest in playing in Portland than in Toronto.

Broadview
10-17-2010, 08:55 AM
while we are guessing here...did you actually guess he was from Portland, im gonna guess that a guy from San Diego has no more interest in playing in Portland than in Toronto.

Barret was a military brat who bounced around a lot. Portland was one of those places.

Sullivan
10-17-2010, 08:58 AM
DichioTFC
Agree with you on Saric, but every club needs a thug who is expendable.
JDG isn't going anywhere, not with that kind of contract, so why protect it. And if he does go - that's a DP position freed up for a goal scorer or a player that can manufacture goal scoring opportunities. (Ya I know, wishfull thinking). Let the rebuilding continue....

No one's going to convince me that Harden is better than Kwame Sarkodie. Sarkodie is a D/M playing with Rochester in the USL. I watched both in the NCAA. Sarkodie is the better athlete and the technically stronger player. Sarkodie is a free agent at season's end and he was where he needed to be this year, in the USL earning experience. Its also where Harden should have been.

Borga
It's Barrett's contract that bothers me the most. It's one of a few contracts that prevent decent depth on the roster. Factor in his horrible first touch, his lack of finishing and an inability to link with anyone, yeah I'm willing to risk seeing if there is another dummy like Mo running a club willing to take him. If not, he goes wide and crosses balls and then runs his ass off pressuring up high.

prizby
so are GA promotions happening before the expansion draft... Yes.
Frei will graduate and need to be protected
Irbrahim's contract is fulfilled.

...is Nane considered international? Unsure.
I've been told Nane has a green card, but the person who told me this has
been wrong on info like this more than once. Regardless, I don't think he's
MLS calibre.

Kooper
10-17-2010, 09:10 AM

Where on earth did I get Portland from? I have been saying this for months. Prizby thanks for the correction.

Sullivan
10-17-2010, 09:12 AM

Swop 2nd round picks and include allocation money to TFC and there might be a development.

This year's Gen A list is going to be the biggest yet, 12-15 players. So early 2nd round picks should hold value. TFC pick 2nd rounder will be in and around 27th, so not so great. I'm looking at this draft to be Tim Regan's handi-work, so I see TFC selecting USSF u18 grads and ACC players. It's where he put most of his time in.

Sullivan
10-17-2010, 09:22 AM

I was privy to a conversation in Bloomington last year and Barrett's name was brought up. Seems he picked UCLA over Indiana and if I recall correcly, UVa was in the mix back then too. He is a west coast boy. He just might go west if he's wanted.

Pachuco
10-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Sullivan,

Even if you don't like Barrett you have to think that he's still one of the only guys on the team who is tradable and worth something. It would be a shame to lose him in the expansion draft when we can probably get a decent player with a trade. Saric is a dime a dozen kind of guy. There's no need to go protect someone like him. He's a bench player on a competitive team.

The rest of your selections I agree with. Oh and if JDG HAS to be protected I'd probably drop Sanyang from the protected list.

Sullivan
10-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Pachuco

I've heard Barrett's been offered at various times over the past 2 seasons. During last year's draft he was offered straight up for a pick that was in the top 10. No takers. $212,500 and no first touch pretty much make him untradeable. I agree with you, there would perhaps be a better return for him in a trade. But expansion teams are in a different position than the other clubs, Portland just might take a bad contract in exchange for his "experience & talent".

On Saric, yeah I agree with you there too, he's a bench player on a uncompetitive team as well. I think this off-season will be rough for TFC in terms of so many unknowns, currently lame ducks as interim coach and interim manager. The transistion is going to be a challenege - so I'm leaning towards a huge dump to bring in quality, but keep tougher "get-stuck-in" type guys that will be easy to unload at the back end.

I wouldn't drop Sanyang, he was 1 of my 2 international selections to protect; you'll notice I couldn't identify a 3rd international that would round out my 11.

Kooper
10-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Pachuco
I wouldn't drop Sanyang, he was 1 of my 2 international selections to protect; you'll notice I couldn't identify a 3rd international that would round out my 11.

If we can't think of a third player could we just protect 10.

1. Dero
2. Frei
3. Santos
4. Attakora
5. Cann
6. Gargan
7. Conway
8. JDG

After thinking about it I would only protect 8. I would be happy to see all the rest leave. Assuming Lindsay and Henry are protected as Academy players.

Players we can't trade (Garcia, Usamov, Hscanovics etc...) can we just release them without penalty?

Sullivan
10-17-2010, 10:10 AM
If we can't think of a third player could we just protect 10.

Assuming Lindsay and Henry are protected as Academy players.

Players we can't trade (Garcia, Usamov, Hscanovics etc...) can we just release them without penalty?

Has to be 11.
Lindsay and Henry are protected.
Garcia is out of contract 2010, so he's gone.
Usamov & Hscanovics, if you care, my comments included in OP.

ArmenJBX
10-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Peterson over Gala. Gala and Nane are useless, Peterson's scored twice so far, coming off a brutal injury and a new team. Next year, given a bit more playing time and some more responsibility, he's got everything it takes to be a solid winger in this league.

CoachGT
10-17-2010, 11:08 AM
I stick to the list in my signature. Let the rest go.

And if you can get something half decent for the ones below, start talking......

TFCRegina
10-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Talk about protecting JDG is stupid. DPs are supposed to be exempt from the draft. So it's a moot point.

Sullivan
10-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Talk about protecting JDG is stupid. DPs are supposed to be exempt from the draft. So it's a moot point.

IF, JDG has a no trade clause in his contract he has to be protected.

Do you know if JDG has the no trade; I certainly don't.

Not so moot....

Pachuco
10-17-2010, 03:48 PM

I have never read anywhere that DPs are exempt from the draft. Got a link?

Pachuco
10-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Pachuco

I've heard Barrett's been offered at various times over the past 2 seasons. During last year's draft he was offered straight up for a pick that was in the top 10. No takers. $212,500 and no first touch pretty much make him untradeable. I agree with you, there would perhaps be a better return for him in a trade. But expansion teams are in a different position than the other clubs, Portland just might take a bad contract in exchange for his "experience & talent".

On Saric, yeah I agree with you there too, he's a bench player on a uncompetitive team as well. I think this off-season will be rough for TFC in terms of so many unknowns, currently lame ducks as interim coach and interim manager. The transistion is going to be a challenege - so I'm leaning towards a huge dump to bring in quality, but keep tougher "get-stuck-in" type guys that will be easy to unload at the back end.

But I think barrett's stock rose this year. I personally think he had a much better year then last year and it should result in greater interest from other parties.

prizby
10-17-2010, 03:52 PM

And if you can get something half decent for the ones below, start talking......

I think you need to add Peterson to the list, other than lindsay, he is the only other winger we have and his form has shown of late, shown what he is capable of...there is a reason we have seen him more than labrocca of late

ArmenJBX
10-17-2010, 03:56 PM
"Designated Players
Designated Players do not have to be protected unless the player has a no trade clause in which case he must be protected."

de Guzman, who was protected in last years expansion draft, will, therefore, be protected again this year, unless Toronto FC do not mind him going.

Leaving him open, we know Portland won't take him on for his salary, but Vancouver may. Therefore, if we have intentions of keeping him, he'll be protected for sure. However, if Toronto FC is smart, and don't want to keep Julian de Guzman around, they will still protect him, to use him as direct trade for Vancouver instead of just giving him away.

prizby
10-17-2010, 04:01 PM
"Designated Players
Designated Players do not have to be protected unless the player has a no trade clause in which case he must be protected."

de Guzman, who was protected in last years expansion draft, will, therefore, be protected again this year, unless Toronto FC do not mind him going.

Leaving him open, we know Portland won't take him on for his salary, but Vancouver may. Therefore, if we have intentions of keeping him, he'll be protected for sure. However, if Toronto FC is smart, and don't want to keep Julian de Guzman around, they will still protect him, to use him as direct trade for Vancouver instead of just giving him away.

and if vancouver are smart they say they have no interest in JDG, he goes unprotected, then they take him anyways

ArmenJBX
10-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Prizby! :O

You genius you! :O

Sullivan
10-17-2010, 04:54 PM
I have never read anywhere that DPs are exempt from the draft. Got a link?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/expansion-draft-set-november-24

Sullivan
10-17-2010, 04:59 PM
But I think barrett's stock rose this year. I personally think he had a much better year then last year and it should result in greater interest from other parties.

You may be right....

I still find it hard to believe that someone like Barrett gets paid $212,500 to play football the way that he does, and he allegedly trains every day. Simply amazing, shocking, but amazing.

rocker
10-17-2010, 05:44 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/expansion-draft-set-november-24

WHere does it say DPs are exempt from the draft? All it says about DPs are that if they have a no trade clause, they must be protected. Which suggests to me if they don't have a no trade clause, they can be left unprotected and are thus available to be drafted.

It says homegrown and GA are exempt but not DPs. Am I missing something?

If DPs can be made available, I'd make De Guzman available in a heartbeat.

Pachuco
10-17-2010, 06:10 PM
WHere does it say DPs are exempt from the draft? All it says about DPs are that if they have a no trade clause, they must be protected. Which suggests to me if they don't have a no trade clause, they can be left unprotected and are thus available to be drafted.

It says homegrown and GA are exempt but not DPs. Am I missing something?

If DPs can be made available, I'd make De Guzman available in a heartbeat.

What the link says is exactly what Sullivan has been saying. It's TFC Regina who said DPs are exempt from the draft. He was showing me the link that basically proves TFC Regina is wrong. That's all.

ArmenJBX
10-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Well, we protected de Guzman last year, therefore he's not immune.

Chevy
10-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Mista is as good as gone. IMO JDG and DeRo should be left unprotected and we pray that someone takes them off our hands.

So if my dream comes true that's over $1.2M in cap space to use (and all 3 DP spots open) in 2011. Oh the possibilties...

1. Sign a DP Striker (400k cap hit)
2. Sign a DP Winger (400k cap hit)
3. Use 200k on another winger
4. Use the remaining 200k on a defensive mid and we're in good shape.

Also replace Garcia with another left back and the back four looks pretty good too. Use the cap savings for some of the other losers we will drop and give Cann, Nana and Gargan some extra spending money.

menefreghista
10-17-2010, 06:54 PM
If De Rosario gets left unprotected he goes 1st overall in the expansion draft.

RedsYNWA
10-17-2010, 07:03 PM
F Of some of you............ as much of a head case Dero is he is stil better than anyone we ever had, protect him at all costs

Chevy
10-17-2010, 07:28 PM
If De Rosario gets left unprotected he goes 1st overall in the expansion draft.

Fine with me. that would satisfy his ego for a week or two.

ArmenJBX
10-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Right now, de Guzman or De Rosario can be used to gain a couple of solid players should Toronto FC's new manager have his eye on some players.

prizby
10-17-2010, 08:36 PM
we'd be nuts to let DeRo go, nuff said

Yohan
10-17-2010, 09:09 PM
I'd leave DeRo unprotected, if TFC can sign Angel for sure... same amount of goal production, less of an ego

Blizzard
10-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Here is my issue with JPA and it has nothing to do with his ability, attitude or passion. He in fact could be a really good pick up when combined with Dero playing behind him.

TFC seems to be reading the message boards and hiring the players we want with mixed results. JDG, Gerba, and Serioux were all called for by us and didn't perform as we had hoped. TFC's coaching and scouting staff should be out there finding the players that we/other MLS teams/pundits have not heard of. If we are always going after the 'big' names we will always pay too much for what are essentially squad players.

Sadly TFC does not have a good history of signing unknown players either, Hscanovic, Usamov, Vitti, Ruiz, Welsh, Sangyang, Gomez, Saric...

Ruiz was NOT an unknown player!

Toronto Ruffrider
10-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Right now, de Guzman or De Rosario can be used to gain a couple of solid players should Toronto FC's new manager have his eye on some players.

DeRo definitely has trade value, but de Guzman's salary and cap hit might make him immovable. Besides, Vancouver already has Dunfield in the holding midfield role, and while he may not be as good as de Guzman, I don't see the benefit in a team shelling out DP money for another DM.

rocker
10-17-2010, 09:32 PM
we'd be nuts to let DeRo go, nuff said

why?

nobody on this team is untouchable.

Toronto Ruffrider
10-17-2010, 09:34 PM
why?

Even if I didn't want to keep him, I'd still protect him for trade value. A player of DeRo's MLS credentials is worth taking.

Torontotonto
10-17-2010, 11:09 PM

He might not have the best scoring touch, however I would keep CB.
If most other players on this squad put in half the effort on the pitch as CB, we would be in a better positon then we are now.

DichioTFC
10-18-2010, 01:39 AM
I'm a huge Barrett fan, and even at the price $200K, he's worth keeping around for now. We can always trade him to a contender late in the season and reap the rewards

CoachGT
10-18-2010, 05:40 AM
I think you need to add Peterson to the list, other than lindsay, he is the only other winger we have and his form has shown of late, shown what he is capable of...there is a reason we have seen him more than labrocca of late

Peterson has been awful all year. Two better games at the end of the season is a case of too little too late.

ArmenJBX
10-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Or a case of, hmm, I dunno, settling in?

Just because you're not a hotshot the second you arrive at a new team doesn't make you a bad player, if that was the case then Chad Barrett should also be shipped off, but he settled in and is now doing much better. The same will happen for Peterson.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-18-2010, 07:05 AM
i think people are foolish to want to rid of harden, hes been a great back up to cann and attakora and we would benefit from holding on to him especially at his current cost

Ossington Mental Youth
10-18-2010, 07:07 AM
We'd be ok to rid of peterson, hes been massively inconsistent and is overpriced. His goal last game does not make for a successful season.

Yohan
10-18-2010, 08:02 AM
i think people are foolish to want to rid of harden, hes been a great back up to cann and attakora and we would benefit from holding on to him especially at his current cost
People who want to get rid of Harden clearly have no idea how to build an MLS roster

Harden is the ideal depth player. Cheap (40K), can play multiple positions and can play footy well enough for MLS level. You need guys like him to fill in in case of injuries or international call ups or whatnot.

DichioTFC
10-18-2010, 08:14 AM
^ Agreed. Harden has been pretty good value. Before he got injured v. Montreal he was doing well at CB.

I'm not a Peterson fan as much, I'm leaning more towards shipping him off because his value is pretty high, but he has shown a lot of heart recently which is impressive. I wouldn't be upset if he was still on the roster come March.

ManUtd4ever
10-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Frei
Attakora
Cann
Harden
Gargan
JDG
DeRo
Labrocca
Sanyang
Barrett
Santos

__wowza
10-18-2010, 08:33 AM
can Anyone Confirm Whether Or Not JDG Has A No Trade Clause?

Nuvinho
10-18-2010, 09:38 AM
^ I am not sure about the no-trade clause. But I bet JDG had an opt-out clause in case some European team came knocking. So maybe Mo wasn't dumb enough to give him that, and a no-trade clause.

prizby
10-18-2010, 10:36 AM
why?

regardless of any personality, i would like to see the ball go into the back of the net from time to time, take DeRo away from this squad, what does that leave you with

Peterson has been awful all year. Two better games at the end of the season is a case of too little too late.

I think Peterson has been good since September and has put in an effort on the pitch similar to Barrett, once again, i go back to why has he been starting over Labrocca of late

We'd be ok to rid of peterson, hes been massively inconsistent and is overpriced. His goal last game does not make for a successful season.

again to the point above, i agree to an extent, he was god awful at the beginning of the season, but since September on, his game has been good and he has shown a bit of maturity

Ossington Mental Youth
10-18-2010, 10:41 AM
150K good tho?
Id rather have a consistent winger which i believe we could find. If hes willing to take a pay chop sure, but i dont see him as the future of this team and dont see him as a starter. Especially not at his current pay.

prizby
10-18-2010, 10:52 AM
150K good tho?
Id rather have a consistent winger which i believe we could find. If hes willing to take a pay chop sure, but i dont see him as the future of this team and dont see him as a starter. Especially not at his current pay.

hmm interesting, i thought he was making 70-75k...it says base salary 126k-143k with compensation

maybe not at that price, but if he plays like he has since september all next year...i'd be say that is an appropriate price

Ossington Mental Youth
10-18-2010, 11:26 AM
hmm interesting, i thought he was making 70-75k...it says base salary 126k-143k with compensation

maybe not at that price, but if he plays like he has since september all next year...i'd be say that is an appropriate price

70-75K appropriate, i think we could do better, but i guess id take him

scooterTFC
10-18-2010, 11:41 AM
For those previously debating expansion draft rules about DP's etc. Goff had a good post on the expansion draft rules last week http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/10/mls_expansion_draft_on_the_hor.html#more

He confirms that DP's with no trades must be protected in the expansion draft and that all other DP's are fair game.

He also highlights a couple of other rules/nuances that worth some discussion:
A team must protect at least 3 of its international players (for TFC internationals are defined any non-canadian/american)
The new collective bargaining agreement allows an out of contract player (free agent) to move to a new MLS team (via a dispersal draft) if he can't come to terms on a new contract with current club.
So in constructing the TFC protected list you have to protect at least 3 international players. Do we have 3 international players worth keeping? I'm not being sarcastic - I think its question worthy of some debate - which 3 internationals do we protect? I don't know the domecitic/internation status of all of our players however I think the following are internationals:

Santos
Sanyang
Usanov
Hscanovics
Mista
Saric
Gomez (even though he's not on the rost on the web)
Kocic and Nane might be internationals but they both might have green cards as they both lived in the US for awhile, in which case they may qualify as domestic.

As for free agents, this is where not having a GM in place could really burn TFC. I suspect other clubs will look re-sign key free agents before the expansion draft. But without a GM TFC will not be able offer contracts to the likes of Attakora and Cann prior to the expansion draft. Which puts them in the position of protecting players who might not re-sign. That's an interesting problem.

KRO
10-18-2010, 12:13 PM
We went to the away game at San Jose this year and we were invited to the pre-game tailgate. The only other TFC supporters there were Chad's mum and step-dad who had driven down from Portland, Oregon for the game.
Chad's mum said that he would love to play for Portland one day but was happy at Toronto right now. That was back in May when things were still going reasonably well.
IMO he needs to be protected.

sulfur
10-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Kocic and Nane might be internationals but they both might have green cards as they both lived in the US for awhile, in which case they may qualify as domestic.
I seem to recall reading last year that Kocic is a Canadian citizen... but either way, he is on the "Academy" roster list (note: not the TFC Academy team, but the "homegrown" list).

scooterTFC
10-18-2010, 09:18 PM
I seem to recall reading last year that Kocic is a Canadian citizen... but either way, he is on the "Academy" roster list (note: not the TFC Academy team, but the "homegrown" list).
I don't know much about him, I read somewhere that he moved from Serbia to the US to play NCAA soccer.

Sullivan
10-18-2010, 09:49 PM
I don't know much about him, I read somewhere that he moved from Serbia to the US to play NCAA soccer.

Loyola University in Baltimore, Maryland
http://www.loyolagreyhounds.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/kocic_milos00.html

My NCAA friends tell me he didn't have a green card while at Loyola so his employment opportunities while at college were restricted to the student visa limitations.

No idea about the Canadian situation, but I doubt he's been in the country sufficient to qualify for citizenship.

Kooper
10-20-2010, 09:33 PM
So in constructing the TFC protected list you have to protect at least 3 international players. Do we have 3 international players worth keeping? I'm not being sarcastic - I think its question worthy of some debate - which 3 internationals do we protect? I don't know the domecitic/internation status of all of our players however I think the following are internationals:

Santos
Sanyang
Usanov
Hscanovics
Mista
Saric
Gomez (even though he's not on the rost on the web)

I have british citizenship. Could the team sign me as an international and pay me the league minimum for the week then protect me. In the end I think it would be cheaper if we can get rid of one Usanov, Hscanovics or Saric.

ExiledRed
10-20-2010, 09:48 PM

Sayonara Chad san!

If $212,000 cant buy us a better forward than this guy, I cant buy a loaf of bread for less than a tenner.

ExiledRed
10-20-2010, 09:56 PM
and if vancouver are smart they say they have no interest in JDG, he goes unprotected, then they take him anyways

And if we're smart, we let it happen, and use the spot on a game changer DP.

ag futbol
10-20-2010, 09:57 PM
70-75K appropriate, i think we could do better, but i guess id take him
I honestly don't think he's worth the time.

Looking at the better teams in this league they somehow find ways to get very solid players (sometimes standouts) on minimal money. I'd use that cap space on someone else in the hope that our new GM can identify talent.

I really can't see anyone new having less of an impact than Peterson.

prizby
10-20-2010, 10:17 PM
And if we're smart, we let it happen, and use the spot on a game changer DP.

like who..the market is diluted, there is not much out there...those that are out there are broken pieces

Sullivan
10-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Many of my US based MLS friends seem to be in agreement that MLS will announce which Gen A players "graduate" during the week of Nov 15-19. I know it's a pretty broad generalization, but that seems to be consistent with prior Gen A grad announcements.

Turning back to TFC

I'm not overly concerned about this expansion draft

First, there really isn’t 11 senior players worth keeping. Perhaps within the 11 that will be identified by Cerberus, maybe 1 or 2 players are there for future considerations, "protected" to buy time for the benefit of the "right one" to influence his vision.

Second, during the 2009 Union draft, TFC lost no one. And few will be able to argue that the current roster of 2010 is deeper than 2009's roster. The other clubs have far more tempting resources than anything Cerberus lays out.

Third, the core or spine of 2011's first XI is currently what, 5 or six players. Even if Cerberus makes mo-stakes, the "right one" shouldn't have too much of a dilemma in remedying these "mo-lite" expansion decisions.

Auzzy
10-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Oh, I get it: Cerberus, the multi-headed monster dog.

With these guys, I would be more apt to think of a multi-headed mini-mouse.

J .
10-21-2010, 09:38 AM
1. Frei
2. Cann
3. Attakora
4. MeRo
5. Barrett

Those are the only guys I would like to see back. The others I care little about. Barrett before he got hurt was on pace for close to 15 goals. He is a good player. MeRo is gonig to get paid, Cann and Attakora were solid, while Frei is our MVP.

Stouffville_RPB
10-21-2010, 02:33 PM
I think you protect Frei (int), Conway, Nana, Cann, Harden, Gomez (int), Gargan, LaBrocca, DeRo, Barrett and Maicon (int). Henry and Lindsay are auto protected.

Leaving Kocic, Garcia, Usanov, Hscanovics, JDG, Peterson, Saric, Nane, White, Mista, Gala and Sanyang available. If Ibby is no longer GA then he goes here.

Due to the cap, MLS is about value. No one on the 2nd list (aside from maybe Sanyang) provides real value for their salary. If you were Vancouver or Portland there isn't anyone there that you feel that you have to get.

I don't think that TFC lose 2 players in this expansion draft.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-21-2010, 02:36 PM
I think you protect Frei (int), Conway, Nana, Cann, Harden, Gomez (int), Gargan, LaBrocca, DeRo, Barrett and Maicon (int). Henry and Lindsay are auto protected.

Leaving Kocic, Garcia, Usanov, Hscanovics, JDG, Peterson, Saric, Nane, White, Mista, Gala and Sanyang available. If Ibby is no longer GA then he goes here.

Due to the cap MLS is about value. No one on the 2nd list (aside from maybe Sanyang) provides real value for their salary. If you were Vancouver or Portland there isn't anyone there that you feel that you have to get.

on first glance that looks about right to me, cept i bet JDG has a no trade clause

CretanBull
10-21-2010, 02:42 PM

Unfortunately, I think you're right.

Edit: Someone like White or Gala might go if Vancouver need Canadians, but I think they probably have enough to fill that requirement.

Another option might be to reward one of the teams for taking a bad salary off our hands - give them a draft pick or something if they agree to take Peterson (for example - I like him, but he is over paid).

Stouffville_RPB
10-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Edit: Someone like White or Gala might go if Vancouver need Canadians, but I think they probably have enough to fill that requirement.

Except that there will be no more Canadian requirement next season rather North American quota. ;)

Even if there was a Canadian requirement Vancouver would have to be pretty deperate to take White at his salary and track record.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-21-2010, 03:15 PM
If im not mistaken we arent obliged to keep all these guys anyways unless theyve been in the league for 4 or so years (something like that), as a result we can cut em or renegotiate their contracts

rocker
10-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Vancouver can have Gala. He hasn't improved in 3 years. Morgan and Lindsay are better, and younger.

ChrisLav
10-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Actual rules were released today

http://www.vancouvermls2011.com/news_and_events/archive/news10211001.aspx

Don't think there is anything we didn't expect in there.

jloome
10-21-2010, 06:26 PM
150K good tho?

Interesting comments from Cochrane (or someone) though in the U-sector thread, pointing out how hard it is to get American guys on lower pay to come, given the cost of living, tax rate, exchange, higher service costs etc.

Not saying it makes Jacob Peterson worth 150K though. He's a backup at best.

jloome
10-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Vancouver can have Gala. He hasn't improved in 3 years. Morgan and Lindsay are better, and younger.

I think he's improved. Are you talking about defensively? Going forward, on the few occasions we've seen him, he's looked pretty good.

rocker
10-21-2010, 06:30 PM
I think he's improved. Are you talking about defensively? Going forward, on the few occasions we've seen him, he's looked pretty good.

yea... although i guess he's kinda confused about his position. sometimes they've had him in midfield, sometimes at the back.

I just find he hasn't refined anything. he's still that jittery, jumpy, unpolished player he was a few years ago.

Watching the academy kid Morgan the other day, I couldn't help thinking about how much more refined and smooth he is compared to Gala.

sidvan
10-21-2010, 06:42 PM
I believe Conway should be left unprotected. Too much $ for a backup that isn't that great. Kosic can step up.

Kooper
10-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Except that there will be no more Canadian requirement next season rather North American quota. ;)

Even if there was a Canadian requirement Vancouver would have to be pretty deperate to take White at his salary and track record.

White could be a good pick up if they can find a winger who can provide service. I think that with service he could be a decent striker in the MLS. I don't think he is any worse than Edson Buddle, Buddle just has better service.

You don't win the NCAA's best player in the league as a Junoir for nothing.

jloome
10-21-2010, 07:33 PM
like who..the market is diluted, there is not much out there...those that are out there are broken pieces

Surely you jest. Our current DPs make $35,000 a week. Do you really think we couldn't get a game changer of above MLS level for that? Good lord. There are 100,000-plus registered professionals in the world. I guarantee you for that money we could get a 15-20 goal scorer.

jloome
10-21-2010, 07:35 PM

Due to the cap, MLS is about value. No one on the 2nd list (aside from maybe Sanyang) provides real value for their salary. If you were Vancouver or Portland there isn't anyone there that you feel that you have to get.

Letting Sanyang go would be insane. He's only just turned 19 and his athletic upside is absolutely enormous. He's also quite talented already, just headstrong.

Three years from now, we'll get Mo Edu money for him. Gomez is actually the longer shot to make it, although his athleticism for his size and build is really surprising, and I'd keep them both.

jloome
10-21-2010, 07:36 PM
yea... although i guess he's kinda confused about his position. sometimes they've had him in midfield, sometimes at the back.

I just find he hasn't refined anything. he's still that jittery, jumpy, unpolished player he was a few years ago.

Watching the academy kid Morgan the other day, I couldn't help thinking about how much more refined and smooth he is compared to Gala.

He plays week in and out. The lack of a dev/reserve league is killing Gala. And they should've loaned him out.

jloome
10-21-2010, 07:38 PM
White could be a good pick up if they can find a winger who can provide service. I think that with service he could be a decent striker in the MLS. I don't think he is any worse than Edson Buddle, Buddle just has better service.

You don't win the NCAA's best player in the league as a Junoir for nothing.

He's not at Buddle's level in terms of reading when to attack the backline, discipline in going to either post, stuff like that. He has definite skills and his lack of acceleration, which isn't the worst sin, even for a striker, belies deceptive speed when he's on the run.

He's strong, he works hard. He's on a team with no service and he's never been the kind of striker to do it all on his own. Plus, when he is one-on-one at this level, he can't just barge by guys like NCAA.

Seriously hurt him, staying in school for one more year. But he's still got potential to be a decent MLS striker if he's in the right lineup.

Sullivan
10-21-2010, 08:00 PM
He's on a team with no service and he's never been the kind of striker to do it all on his own. Plus, when he is one-on-one at this level, he can't just barge by guys like NCAA.

Which is the exact opposite of his junior year. UConn was stacked, he was recruited as a piece of a puzzle, he finished what others started. He benefited greatly - as we can see.

Seriously hurt him, staying in school for one more year.

And I'm sure you're not talking about the knee injury.

Ray Reid is a NCAA recruiter/Manager not a development type coach. He'd make a good scout. But Reid doesn't let players leave without a fight. He's very selfish, I hear players are shamed into staying, "don't abondon your team". Reid's very much the opposite of Cirovski, Porter, or a Vidovich. UConn players just don't get develop technically as well as players at other top 10 schools. They pretty much fend for themselves.

Uconn has a couple of gems right now, but they'll struggle with the transition to pro when it's their turn. White struggles, Julies James struggles, Pezza struggled, Stahl struggles, Priestley struggled and he's out. It's UConn's curse...

prizby
10-21-2010, 08:32 PM

Gala has the skill already, he is lazy in practice (from what I have heard)

prizby
10-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Surely you jest. Our current DPs make $35,000 a week. Do you really think we couldn't get a game changer of above MLS level for that? Good lord. There are 100,000-plus registered professionals in the world. I guarantee you for that money we could get a 15-20 goal scorer.

like I said WHOOOOO... there is no one out there right now that is worth being a DP

ag futbol
10-21-2010, 09:07 PM
like I said WHOOOOO... there is no one out there right now that is worth being a DP
You're getting way too specific with this.

It's like asking "who's going to play on the wing next year?". We have no idea! but surely there is someone better than who we have currently! Just because we have no idea who that will be doesn't mean they aren't out there.

If you have the time, go look for someone in Brazil or Argentina between the ages of 27-32, who is a star down there but has probably flamed out in europe once. The Brazilian clubs throw these guys out all the time because they want to blood the younger players.

Here's one: Andrés D'Alessandro

Continuing on...

rocker
10-22-2010, 01:19 PM
He plays week in and out. The lack of a dev/reserve league is killing Gala. And they should've loaned him out.

ya, true. I wonder if he's lost too much time now to be a starter in this league. He's 21.. will be 22 next year. I wonder if he'll be the next Lombardo, playing in the CSL.

Anyways, I'm just not that worried about losing Gabe in an expansion draft. I don't think he'd come back to haunt us if he left.

menefreghista
10-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Having talked to Earl Cochrane at one of the town halls, he will definitely protect De Guzman. He speaks very highly of him.

prizby
10-22-2010, 10:07 PM
You're getting way too specific with this.

It's like asking "who's going to play on the wing next year?". We have no idea! but surely there is someone better than who we have currently! Just because we have no idea who that will be doesn't mean they aren't out there.

If you have the time, go look for someone in Brazil or Argentina between the ages of 27-32, who is a star down there but has probably flamed out in europe once. The Brazilian clubs throw these guys out all the time because they want to blood the younger players.

Here's one: Andrés D'Alessandro

Continuing on...

On December 13, 2008 it was reported on ESPN Deportes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_Deportes) that the Los Angeles Galaxy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Galaxy) had made a $10 million dollar offer to Internacional (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_Club_Internacional) for D'Alesandro but was declined. Internacional (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_Club_Internacional) vice president Fernando Carvalho (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Chagas_Carvalho_Neto) was quoted; "The offer came from the Los Angeles Galaxy of the United States. I didn't even want to listen to the details. The offer was for more money than we paid for D'Alessandro, who arrived here for five million euros, but we want to keep the Argentinian."

ArmenJBX
10-22-2010, 10:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Carvalho

He'll do :D

prizby
10-22-2010, 11:21 PM
^funny i was just looking at him the other day...he toughed it out in russia for a while

Ussssanov :p

Sullivan
11-17-2010, 10:11 PM
I !thought I posted something in this thread somewhere about the gGen A grad list.

The MLS club reps here at the super Y finals r saying MLS will announce the list on Monday the 22nd, after the cup final.

EDIT: I'm too old to be drinking this long...

here it is
"As Generation adidas graduates, the following players will begin to count against their clubs’ salary budgets in 2011, an important consideration as teams begin building their rosters for next season:
Eric Avila (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/eric-avila) (FC Dallas (http://www.fcdallas.com/)), Nico Colaluca (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/nico-colaluca) (New England Revolution (http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/)), Roger Espinoza (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/roger-espinoza) (Kansas City), Stefan Frei (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/stefan-frei) (Toronto FC (http://www.torontofc.ca/)), Bruno Guarda (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/bruno-guarda) (FC Dallas), Baggio Husidic (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/baggio-husidic) (Chicago Fire (http://www.chicago-fire.com/)), Fuad Ibrahim (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/fuad-ibrahim) (Toronto FC), Chance Myers (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/chance-myers) (Kansas City), Alex Nimo (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/alex-nimo) (Real Salt Lake (http://www.realsaltlake.com/)), Ciaran O’Brien (Colorado Rapids (http://www.coloradorapids.com/)), and Brek Shea (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/brek-shea) (FC Dallas).
Graduates from the program could be made available for selection in the MLS Expansion Draft on Nov. 24 unless placed on a club’s protected list.

So it would appear that the clubs have been or would be notified prior to submitting their protected lists."

sorry all, good night.

EDIT 2:
Ibby = about F'n time, as I said it earlier today to someone, his lifeline as a footballer is solely based on his Gen A contract.

Stouffville_RPB
11-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Letting Sanyang go would be insane. He's only just turned 19 and his athletic upside is absolutely enormous. He's also quite talented already, just headstrong.

Three years from now, we'll get Mo Edu money for him. Gomez is actually the longer shot to make it, although his athleticism for his size and build is really surprising, and I'd keep them both.

With the new expanded roster and reserve league I'd tend to agree on Sanyang.

Nuvinho
11-22-2010, 08:18 AM
protected lists come out today in the afternoon.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-22-2010, 03:48 PM
no word whos on our list yet?
I see the columbus one is up in big soccer

ArmenJBX
11-22-2010, 03:57 PM
any idea when ours is coming out?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-22-2010, 03:58 PM
no clue, read somewhere the listsll be out by 5.30

Whoop
11-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Who would be responsible for putting the protected list together?

Cochrane? Brennan? Klinsmann?

Nuvinho
11-22-2010, 04:14 PM
supposed to be at 5pm.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Who would be responsible for putting the protected list together?

Cochrane? Brennan? Klinsmann?

prob first two :(

Greg
11-22-2010, 07:51 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/LukeWileman/status/6870975333269505

#tfc (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23tfc) players unprotected: Barrett, de Guzman, Gala, Garcia, Hscanovics, Ibrahim, Kocic, Mista, Nane, Sanyang, Saric, Usanov, White

Carts
11-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Having talked to Earl Cochrane at one of the town halls, he will definitely protect De Guzman. He speaks very highly of him.

Maybe he thought you were a scout from Vancouver so he was selling JDG to you - since he's unprotected...

Carts... :D

PS: Lets be serious, I doubt anyone would want JDG's salary to impact ration on their club...

prizby
11-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Protected:
Jon Conway
Nana Attakora
Dan Gargan
Adrian Cann
Dwayne De Rosario
Ty Harden
Nick Labrocca
Jacob Peterson
Stefan Frei (I)
Maicon Santos (I)
Emmanuel Gomez (I)

Home Grown:
Nicolas Lindsey
Doniel Henry

So 5 defenders and 2 goalies protected...

prizby
11-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Vancouver I think just might pick Blaise Nkufo (his wife lives in Vancouver)

moralis
11-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Remember guys, Blaise Nkufo is a DP player. Do you really think Vancouver will use their 2nd DP on him. We'll see Wednesday afternoon.

Island Man
11-22-2010, 09:03 PM
I think Nkufo is worthy of being a DP, I think he and Onstad will head to Vancouver.

Still Kicking
11-22-2010, 10:27 PM
I think Chad is the most likely Toronto player to be selected in the expansion draft. Nick Garcia and Mista are the least likely to be selected.
The protection of Gomez must be an indication that his health outlook is a positive one. Protecting Peterson and Labrocca indicates that TFC and I were not watching the same midfield this past season.
I figure that not protecting JDG is a calculated risk - would an expansion team risk so much money?

jloome
11-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Remember guys, Blaise Nkufo is a DP player. Do you really think Vancouver will use their 2nd DP on him. We'll see Wednesday afternoon.

They'd be mental not to, and I'd be stunned if they didn't.This one reeks of being prearranged.

prizby
11-22-2010, 11:04 PM
when did vancouver use there first dp?

kodiakTFC
11-22-2010, 11:06 PM

Demerit isn't a DP, so they still have both DP slots.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Labrocca indicates that TFC and I were not watching the same midfield this past season.

yeah, Labrocca i can kinda understand, Peterson? oh hell no

Ossington Mental Youth
11-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Id really like to see Nick Zimmerman here from Union, hes young and decent on the wing, prob costs noubt

TFC07
11-23-2010, 03:32 PM
yeah, Labrocca i can kinda understand, Peterson? oh hell no

Looks like Nick Dasovic played a role here of protecting Peterson. :(

Hitcho
11-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Peterson showed improvement at the end of the season, and he's relatively young and a winger. Those are the only reasons for keeping him. On the whole he was bad this season and at times infuriatingly incompetent. But we are desperately short of wide players and can we really expect to bring in three or four in one off season? Based on his upturn in form, if he can kepe that going then our need for players in his position means he is probably worth a shot for one more year, with hopefully a full pre-season under his belt and in better shape, in a system that better suits his game. If no improvement, ship him out this time next year.

prizby
11-23-2010, 04:02 PM
the only thing i don't agree with peterson keeping is his salary...then again i have seen that amount of money wasted on a lot worse; I am willing to bet Peterson will have 7 or 8 goals all competion with half a dozen assists next season

dantdot
11-23-2010, 11:22 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/story/mls-expansion-draft-whos-who-of-mls-on-the-trading-block

Ives' mock draft. Predicts Vancouver takes White, possible but I doubt it.

Auzzy
11-23-2010, 11:30 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/story/mls-expansion-draft-whos-who-of-mls-on-the-trading-block

Oops, Ives has a typo (Dallas finished after #13, but #13 is actually the only pick from Colorado; and Dallas was already finished after #4).

BS1327
11-23-2010, 11:53 PM

The article quotes White as being a Canadian player, but he is now (and at least I always thought) Jamaican, therefore an international. I think Vancouver might look at Gala, as he's the only Canadian available from TFC aside from JDG. Gala is also very cheap, and may pose as a good player for the reserve league.

That being said, Vancouver may take a stab at JDG. He hasn't found success here in TO, and maybe he is in need for a change in scenery. If he leaves and becomes better in Vancouver, AND shows that improvement playing for Canada, say next summer during the Gold Cup, then I don't mind him leaving at all.

BUT with American's (at least for now) counting as domestic players, I could see them eyeing Garcia for a veteren leader, or Ibrahim, especially with the reserve league returning. However, I do think both players would be needing to take a paycut.

I think Barrett's price is too high for Vancouver, but Portland may be willing to take him in regards for a hometown player. At first, I disagreed with Barrett being put on the list, but if he is taken, then TFC now have a large chuck of salary to sign a new proven striker to work with Santos, improving the attack. I am a fan of Chad, but I think TFC needs some fresh faces up front. This starts with Santos and 2 other potential new signings in my opinion.

Auzzy
11-24-2010, 12:15 AM
The article quotes White as being a Canadian player, but he is now (and at least I always thought) Jamaican, therefore an international. I think Vancouver might look at Gala, as he's the only Canadian available from TFC aside from JDG. Gala is also very cheap, and may pose as a good player for the reserve league.

I really don't understand the MLS rules incl. international & domestic status. However, I believe White also has Canadian citizenship from his time in high school in Scarborough. He was eligible to play for both the Canadian and Jamaican national teams (until recently deciding). Therefore, I believe he is considered a Canadian player for MLS.

Stryker
11-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Ives's mock draft makes alot of sense but I highly doubt Vancouver will take White so early. Only reason it would happen is if they really want him and fear Portland will take Barrett allowing TFC to pull White back.

And unless Nkufo tells them before hand that he won't play in Vancouver they'd be nuts not to take him with their first pick.

TFC07
11-24-2010, 03:32 AM
Peterson showed improvement at the end of the season, and he's relatively young and a winger. Those are the only reasons for keeping him. On the whole he was bad this season and at times infuriatingly incompetent. But we are desperately short of wide players and can we really expect to bring in three or four in one off season? Based on his upturn in form, if he can kepe that going then our need for players in his position means he is probably worth a shot for one more year, with hopefully a full pre-season under his belt and in better shape, in a system that better suits his game. If no improvement, ship him out this time next year.

Yes, he looked better in the end of the season, but so did Henry who I thought looked better than Peterson. I am sure there are quality wingers out there available that TFC can sign and perhaps wouldn't cost as much. We need wingers who are good at delivering the ball into the box and have one-on-one skills which Peterson lacks both of.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2010, 07:27 AM
I really don't understand the MLS rules incl. international & domestic status. However, I believe White also has Canadian citizenship from his time in high school in Scarborough. He was eligible to play for both the Canadian and Jamaican national teams (until recently deciding). Therefore, I believe he is considered a Canadian player for MLS.

this is correct

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2010, 07:37 AM
not to mention that they have Demerit, who is 30 but still a relative 'vet' in the game as he was captain at the wc and played in england for a number of years, i dont think theyll be signing Garcia (unless they are mentally ill) or Ibby unless they want to gamble

DangerRed
11-24-2010, 09:59 AM
The one depressing thing about the unprotected list is that there is virtually no chance that that old battleaxe, Garcia, finally rides off into the sunset.

I'm hoping they take Hscanovics and/or Usanov off us, maybe White too. More likely, we'll lose someone we actually want to keep.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2010, 10:29 AM
His contract with MLS is finished, we dont have to resign him (he was being paid for by San Jose) and if we do we can renegotiate his salary

jloome
11-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Can anyone watching/listening live do some updates? Can't get the feed at work.

Ageroo
11-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Can anyone watching/listening live do some updates? Can't get the feed at work.

Most peeps are in this thread so check here...

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=25438

dantdot
11-24-2010, 01:59 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/11/2011-mls-expansion-draft-live-commentary.html#more