PDA

View Full Version : KKKrew @ TFC Post-game...

sulfur
10-16-2010, 05:00 PM
All that needs be said:

I'd say that sums up about 4 years of TFC nicely.

loconet
10-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Been working most of the day, kept the TV off. I turn it on during the last few minutes to catch what is going on with the game and I am greeted by a goal against us by their keeper? :facepalm:

__wowza
what about this?

It's official: Will Hesmer has more league goals this season than Mista.

MLSE in a nutshell.

sulfur
That's a good one too. But ag posted first. :)

DichioTFC
Nicholas Lindsay and Maicon Santos were bright spots for us today. Both played very well.

DangerRed
10-16-2010, 05:05 PM
So let's sum up:

The most embarrassing goal I've ever seen scored on TFC: check

Still winless in 11 meetings against Columbus: check

Wear Green protest successful: nope, and only barely visible on TV.

Owards and upwards.

sulfur
10-16-2010, 05:06 PM
The silence coming from both NEE and the RPB sections really had an impact on the match on telly though.

DichioTFC
10-16-2010, 05:07 PM
The most embarrassing goal I've ever seen scored on TFC: check

6 reds were surrounding the Hesper. He made a fake shot. Enough time if someone were closing him down. Nobody was closing him down.

ginkster88
10-16-2010, 05:08 PM
The radio guys couldn't stop talking about the lack of singing though, so that worked.

They are absolutely horrible commentators. After the first Columbus goal I couldn't be sure that anyone had scored, because they didn't actually say anything about the ball going in the net. I turned it on later and didn't know what the score was for about 15 minutes, because neither thought it might be helpful for their listeners.

__wowza
oh god i know eh? i heard random fan chants.
even heard a wave trying to be started up.

A
FUCKING
WAVE

DichioTFC
The silence coming from both NEE and the RPB sections really had an impact on the match on telly though.

Totally. The wear green protest wasn't successful, but now we know for next time

DangerRed
10-16-2010, 05:09 PM
sulfur, you're totally right on the silence.

I think Wear Green failed largely because not all groups agreed. All groups agreed on the (relative) silence and it worked well.

ManUtd4ever
10-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Well, I can't fault the effort today. I honestly think TFC is cursed against Columbus. Of all possible scenarios to give up the lead, it figures their keeper would score the late equalizer :facepalm:. If Conway wasn't sent off, TFC probably holds on for the victory. In any case, the game is meaningless in the standings but it was a good showing by Santos, Lindsay, and Peterson.

On another note, I hope MLSE took notice of the moribund atmosphere today. If things don't turn around next season, they can expect that to be the norm as opposed to the exception...

Huyton
10-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Shame about the drums...they could be heard in the 2nd half.

sulfur
10-16-2010, 05:14 PM
On another note, I hope MLSE took notice of the moribund atmosphere today. If things don't turn around next season, they can expect that to be the norm as opposed to the exception...
I can't wait to see the atmosphere on Tuesday night.

Well, if I get home from my own game in time that night to see it on telly that is...

sulfur
10-16-2010, 05:14 PM
That was TRN. They could be heard on and off from about the 25th or 26th minute.

Redcoe15
10-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Everything looked so good. Santos scores a beautiful sizzler, Peterson gives our side the lead, the Reds control play all game, Conway smacks and drops fucking Big Bird Leinhart and gets him thown out. All looks well in extra time...

And the fucking goalkeeper Hesmer comes out of nowheres and scores to tie things up.

FUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!

That's our team, this year, in a nutshell. :prrr:

Redcoe15
10-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Nicholas Lindsay and Maicon Santos were bright spots for us today. Both played very well.
True that.

tfc007
10-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Didnt even bothered going to the game,had it on in the house while I worked on my kitchen,I only stopped to watch when I heard Tom "Salami" speaking,he was such a dissapoinment when he talked just like the whole fucken organization is !!!!!!!! FUCKEN GARBAGE !!!!!!!.I am taking King Daves route,only when you dont show up is when they will learn.Showing up dressed in green and no chanting,does fuck all to these Greedy Fuckers MLSE!!!!!!!!!!

Wagner
10-16-2010, 05:26 PM
That was TRN. They could be heard on and off from about the 25th or 26th minute.

they were extra annoying today.
Did no one ask them to help out??
with no other sounds...it was the same drum beat over and over for the entire game...nothing else to compete with them for sound.
TRN needs to learn a new song or two.

ManUtd4ever
10-16-2010, 05:26 PM
I can't wait to see the atmosphere on Tuesday night.

Well, if I get home from my own game in time that night to see it on telly that is...

Hopefully, TFC will cruise to an easy victory against Arabs United on Tuesday and send 5000 supporters home happy...

sulfur
10-16-2010, 05:29 PM
^ with 10k+ announced!

Belfast_Boy
10-16-2010, 05:33 PM
U sector sounded pathtic.
The silence from the two corners was terribly perfect.
It was the longest game I have ever sat through.

Roogsy
10-16-2010, 05:40 PM

:noidea:

The green initiative was not meant for TV. We knew it would be a small number compared to the rest of the stadium but if you were AT the game you would have seen many green shirts and no singing. A show of solidarity among all frustrated fans that was very evident in all sections. Combined with the very effectice silence that 112 took part in fully and the message was sent and received hence in our opinion it was successful. I don't think I read once that this green thing was for TV so why mislead that way?

TFC USA
10-16-2010, 05:45 PM
I don't think we can even beat DC United. Just take it the whole distance and play only academy kids.

sulfur
10-16-2010, 05:48 PM
By all reports, DC and the Fire played a very entertaining 0-0 draw in McBride's final home game of his career.

kaos197O
10-16-2010, 05:51 PM

Actually, the silence was stadium wide. Most people simply would not chant today realizing that a message needs to be sent. I for one ended my silence at half time and will never, I repeat, NEVER pipe down when the boys are on the pitch again.

Love banners, love gate 4 protests, hate not singing for the boys.

sulfur
10-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Actually, the silence was stadium wide.
On telly, the silence (or relative silence at least) was pretty much constant for the entire game, other than the TRN drumming and the cheers Conway got when he left the pitch.

kaos197O
10-16-2010, 05:56 PM

TRN was silent for first half. Ended silence in second. Thus the drums.

10-16-2010, 06:07 PM
That was a handball on the equalizer, right?

TFC Cityboy
10-16-2010, 06:11 PM
I thought the silence was very effective. Really bizarre experience all around.

TFC USA
10-16-2010, 06:11 PM
If I can drum up a couple of positives: Peterson didn't suck like he normally does and Lindsay was great.

Shakes McQueen
10-16-2010, 06:13 PM
I mean, is anyone really summing up the emotion to be mad or disappointed about this result?

I had the game on in the background while I was working. The green shirt thing didn't come across on television at all - did it look more pronounced at the stadium? All I saw was a smattering of green shirts, lost in the usual sea of red jerseys.

Even if we had beaten Columbus, their fans would be (rightly) quick to remind us that they are headed to the playoffs again, and we are headed nowhere... again.

I've even started forgetting that TFC are still playing. This season is over.

- Scott

sulfur
10-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Two more games to get through, and it's all over.

ag futbol
10-16-2010, 06:19 PM
I agree, when i saw our starting lineup today i expected practically nothing so I can't say i'm totally disappointed at the result.

We legitimately took the game to them for the first 45 minutes with Lindsay and Santos doing practically all the work.

kaos197O
10-16-2010, 06:21 PM
I mean, is anyone really summing up the emotion to be mad or disappointed about this result?

I had the game on in the background while I was working. The green shirt thing didn't come across on television at all - did it look more pronounced at the stadium? All I saw was a smattering of green shirts, lost in the usual sea of red jerseys.

Even if we had beaten Columbus, their fans would be (rightly) quick to remind us that they are headed to the playoffs again, and we are headed nowhere... again.

- Scott

Aside from just over half of 112 it was mainly a spatter of green here and there. Nothing predominant but I don't think that was the point.

Pookie
10-16-2010, 06:29 PM
sulfur, you're totally right on the silence.

I think Wear Green failed largely because not all groups agreed. All groups agreed on the (relative) silence and it worked well.

Having been at the game, I'm not sure you can say that U-Sector and TRN were in agreement with the silence.

torontocelt
10-16-2010, 06:32 PM

- Scott

It didn't really come over too well in the stadium either, to be honest there did not appear to be a hell of a lot of people taking part. The silence was more effective and you did notice it at times although to be honest I go to watch the football and get a bit consumed by that but I definitely did notice the silence and I do think it would effect greatly the game day experience of casuals who do not have much interest in the sport itself. The lack of green on display and the many people who turned up decked out in red did make me realise just how many people go to the games and dont pay attention to supporters groups or what they are doing. That is not to take away from SG's but they are still a huge minority in the stadium although they obviously do help contribute to the overall experience.

torontocelt
10-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Having been at the game, I'm not sure you can say that U-Sector and TRN were in agreement with the silence.

I agree about u sector for sure, I definitely heard a few TFC songs coming from their section although sitting in 224 I did not hear tribal nation but I never really hear them anyway from where I sit.

Pookie
10-16-2010, 06:42 PM
... The lack of green on display and the many people who turned up decked out in red did make me realise just how many people go to the games and dont pay attention to supporters groups or what they are doing. That is not to take away from SG's but they are still a huge minority in the stadium although they obviously do help contribute to the overall experience.

To take the other side of the debate though consider my experience today in 110. There wasn't a "sea of green" but there were a few of us. Everyone around me today was asking about the "protest" and even the ones in red stayed quiet. We had maybe 1 dude around row 22 and another 4-5 guys near row 7 who did their own thing.

Everyone else respected what the RPB and NEE were trying to accomplish.

If the minority can influence the actions of the majority, I'm not sure you can say they don't pay attention. I'm also not sure you can call that group(s) that influence the crowd to that extent, particularly against our most hated rival, a minority in a power sense.

sulfur
10-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Sadly, U-Sector seems to be more and more of a "fanclub" all the time (whether that's actually true is hard to say, but the perception is starting to be there), and TRN always has been one.

alex andrew
10-16-2010, 06:46 PM
liked the game, liked the green and the silence.

unfortunately, from my point of view, obbie tied the game!

nfitz
10-16-2010, 06:47 PM
I thought the silence was very effective. Really bizarre experience all around.I was in 132 ... and I could hear a lot of supporteres noise ... seemed to be coming from 113; could hear a lot of songs quite clearly.

Pookie
10-16-2010, 06:48 PM
^ I side with them on some things. For example, I'm not a fan of booing any player in Red when they are playing. I think that the home pitch should be a hostile place for the opposition not for players like Garcia... as a random example ;)

That said, no one was asking them to boo our players. More than just showing the owners what it would be like with no "atmosphere", the move was an attempt to show that there is more than the small minority of people upset that Anselmi refers to. That this group is united and serious about them "getting it right."

Sadly, they opted to not unite with their fellow supporters and instead use it as a platform for their own vision.

Sally Mack
10-16-2010, 06:48 PM
At first on TV, they did everything NOT to show 112. All the "fan shots" were very zoomed in only you show small groups of fans (as the masses weren't really cheering).

As the game went on, a lot of the banners got good exposure. Off hand, I specifically remember seeing:

All for MoneY
Actions not words
I'd rather be jumping
Big green $$ flags

There was enough green for a casual to notice, but I'm not sure if they woulda made the connection. Still, I think the protest achieved its objectives.

EVERY sports show is introducing the game talking about fan displeasure about ticket prices, and the quality of football. We've gone mainstream, so I consider that mission accomplished. More needs to be done, but the protest has served its purpose.

P.s. a lot of people didn't like the booing at the end, but I think it was a necessary evil to get our point across.

sulfur
10-16-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm not a fan of booing any player in Red when they are playing.
there is a never a time to boo your own player during a game.

kaos197O
10-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Sadly, U-Sector seems to be more and more of a "fanclub" all the time (whether that's actually true is hard to say, but the perception is starting to be there), and TRN always has been one.

WOW! A group doesn't do what another group proposes and they are reduced to a FAN CLUB. Interesting, and really, what's the difference?

Best part of the game, and one of the loudest, was when the ball went into the stands in 113 and was hoofed over to 110 only to get thrown out of the stadium after a little volleyball between the upper and lower section.

Shakes McQueen
10-16-2010, 06:54 PM
At this point indifference has completely crept up on me. I'm not mad, or sad, or whatever. The statement has been made to MLSE, they clearly heard it, the media has picked up the message too, and now I'm going to sit back and see what the club decides to do about it over the winter.

If they decide to do right by the fans and put together a proper team with proper players, then I will cautiously wade back into the water. If they don't, then I might stop watching games altogether next year - on the television or otherwise.

As for the remainder of this season - who really cares. Pointless games, played a by a group players for which 50% likely won't even be here next season.

My morale couldn't possibly be lower. It has bottomed out to the point where I just don't care anymore.

- Scott

sulfur
10-16-2010, 06:56 PM
WOW! A group doesn't do what another group proposes and they are reduced to a FAN CLUB. Interesting, and really, what's the difference?
Nothing to do with today... has to do with the general attitude shown of late.

I've not been to a game other than the DC one for a while, but the perception from friends (non-supporter related) is that they are just cheering no matter what.

kaos197O
10-16-2010, 07:03 PM

I've not been to a game other than the DC one for a while, but the perception from friends (non-supporter related) is that they are just cheering no matter what.

Yeah, they are. For the boys on the field. Supporters do that. Perhaps they plan on handling their grievances with FO off the pitch. Not sure but.......

pekduck
10-16-2010, 07:05 PM
liked the game, liked the green and the silence.

unfortunately, from my point of view, obbie tied the game!

exactly what me and my friend said after we saw he kept the ball and tried to dribble past defenders when he had 3 open options for outlet pass and shooting chance for teammates

next thing, turn over, set piece, goal conceded

denime
10-16-2010, 07:12 PM

That just shows how silent the atmosphere was today,at other game day you can't here TRN even if yo want to,but today thanks to silent protest from NEE and RPB you could hear TRN drums.
I think it was good effort from 2 SG's,it's unfortunate that Cheerleaders from 113 didn't participate but that's different story.

Tuesday will be even better.

denime
10-16-2010, 07:15 PM

Best part of the game, and one of the loudest, was when the ball went into the stands in 113 and was hoofed over to 110 only to get thrown out of the stadium after a little volleyball between the upper and lower section.

FAN CLUB is to good for them they are ML$E CHEERLEADERS for a while now,not just today.But hey, what you going to do it's a free country,no?

ArmenJBX
10-16-2010, 07:16 PM
So just to read the general consensus on the board now, without starting a poll.

Jacob Peterson, stay or go?

alex andrew
10-16-2010, 07:17 PM
exactly what me and my friend said after we saw he kept the ball and tried to dribble past defenders when he had 3 open options for outlet pass and shooting chance for teammates

next thing, turn over, set piece, goal conceded

yes, it could have been a superb tactical move, columbus attacks, we defend, counterattack, 3-1, toronto swimming in champagne.

but it wasn't what the couch probably intended, of all the options obbie had, keeping the ball, running lateral, eating it, inhaling it, shooting it in rochester, he chose to give it away.

literally i think that melt the team.

ag futbol
10-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Scary thought Scott, and frankly I'm pretty close to being in the same boat myself.

Pretty much describes the process I went through with the raptors. I watched about 70+ games a year ever since Carter lead the team to the second round of the playoffs way back in the day. About 2 years ago i just completely lost interest. They completely drained any connection i had with the team. I still watch the NBA all the time, but I watch maybe 10% of the raptors games i did previously. I might go to one game a year.

As far as our team goes: people aren't stupid, they see the games on TV and know most of the other squads in MLS struggle to draw flies and their ticket prices are minuscule compared to ours. If we were consistently near the top i think the pricing thing would still raise some ire, but it would blow over. However, given we've pretty much been the worst team in the league over the last four years and we've jacked up ticket prices, something has to give.

kaos197O
10-16-2010, 07:25 PM
That just shows how silent the atmosphere was today,at other game day you can't here TRN even if yo want to,but today thanks to silent protest from NEE and RPB you could hear TRN drums.
I think it was good effort from 2 SG's,it's unfortunate that Cheerleaders from 113 didn't participate but that's different story.

Tuesday will be even better.
No credit to the 15,000 non supporters for keeping relatively mum though? I think the protest was pretty much stadium wide! Perhaps thanks to your initiatives but......

kaos197O
10-16-2010, 07:27 PM
FAN CLUB is to good for them they are ML$E CHEERLEADERS for a while now,not just today.But hey, what you going to do it's a free country,no?
Sounds like there some real hate going on between the 2 groups Too bad!

Huyton
10-16-2010, 07:28 PM
I'll be in 114 on Tuesday.

Alixir
10-16-2010, 07:30 PM
After all the shit...the jacked ticket prices, the shit team, the poor management, and any number of disappointments I have suffered at the hands of TFC...having Hesmer, the keeper of one of our biggest rivals, score in added time, has left me in a complete state of embarrassment.
Ending league play settling on a draw from a goal by a keeper is a complete fucking joke. I will NEVER watch another TFC match again. TFC can fucking pound salt.

Its been a nice 4 years...on these boards anyway. Later all.

denime
10-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Sounds like there some real hate going on between the 2 groups Too bad!

Hate? Sorry there no hate between two groups,it is just different philosophy how to support the ream.
In our eyes they look like Cheerleaders because of their way of support,when you chant and sing no matter what is going in on and off the field that's you are cheerleader.
However they think we are looking for attention every time we want to protest,even thought this was the first time ever we actually did protest in the stadium.

So once again no hate we do take a jabs of each other,we on our board and they at their and that's all part of the game,nothing wrong with that.

At the end of the day we all support TFC one way or another.

zamperina
10-16-2010, 07:39 PM
After all the shit...the jacked ticket prices, the shit team, the poor management, and any number of disappointments I have suffered at the hands of TFC...having Hesmer, the keeper of one of our biggest rivals, score in added time, has left me in a complete state of embarrassment.
Ending league play settling on a draw from a goal by a keeper is a complete fucking joke. I will NEVER watch another TFC match again. TFC can fucking pound salt.

Its been a nice 4 years...on these boards anyway. Later all.

THIS. Unfuckinbelieveable that the Keeper scores...

"ML$E CHAMPIONS OF LAUGHING STOCK TEAMS!"

dupont
10-16-2010, 07:42 PM
I don't think it's fair to criticize how U-Sector chooses to support the team. Each group should make its own decision and then it should be respected by the other groups.

alex andrew
10-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Ending league play settling on a draw from a goal by a keeper is a complete fucking joke.

while i was leaving bmo field, being surrounded by mountains of free cereal boxes, i was thinking and smiling, without craving cereals, how i'd feel if tfc's goalkeeper would score in extratime to win the mls cup ?

and i liked the thought.

all in all it's the first goal scored by a goalkeeper that i see live.

hey ! i've got to cut columbus some slack.

Chevy
10-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Made me wonder how many games in MLS (or anywhere for that matter) there has been both a red card given and a goal by a keeper. ??

ecospice
10-16-2010, 07:56 PM
I agree about u sector for sure, I definitely heard a few TFC songs coming from their section although sitting in 224 I did not hear tribal nation but I never really hear them anyway from where I sit.

I sit in s224 too. U Sector could be heard in the second half, but it was a small bunch of them and it was not much of a chant. TRN was going off after the game with the drums and stuff, but they always do that. During the game they could not be heard where I was sitting.

My favourite part was the booing that ensued when the TFC announcer reminded the fans to renew their season tix and then again when he thanks the fans on behalf of the organization...

kaos197O
10-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Just watching a replay of the game on GOLTV and props to CBC for really giving the protest exposure. The media is really hammering MLSE with us.

Very nice!

werewolf
10-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Hesmer is a legend. I have never seen, or even heard of a goalkeeper scoring with his feet (aside from a set-piece). I won't soon forget that. Added with the hat-trick last home game, we are witnessing some impressive performances, unfortuantely they are by the opponent. Not too long before we are the Clippers.

Good thing we traded him to Columbus, yet another player that was with the organization (albeit the briefest of times) coming back to score against us.

Hesmer having more league goals then Mista and JDG combined says it all.

alex andrew
10-16-2010, 08:13 PM
hesmer knows footie !

Darlofletch
10-16-2010, 08:17 PM
very bizarre game really. the eeire quiet was unusual, though I was glad to see people were till recting to the game, cheering goals, booing the ref etc. was very amused by the booing when they thanked the fans and reminded us to renew. quite surprised that de guzman got a very loud booing after his early shot over the bar. u sector were still quite loud, but it definitely had the feel of a chivas game, people in 126 even tried starting the wave.

haven't watched the game on tv, so still don't really know what happened with conway and lenhart, but conway's reaction as he walked off was awesome. their keeper scoring was so ridiculous I had to laugh, but he was given a lot of time in the box, no-one tried to challenge him. kind of disappoionted kocic didn't go up for our last minute free kick.

good for gargan, getting the captaincy, with all dasovic's pre game talk of players showing their character recently, that decision speaks volumes.

lindsay and santos both played really well, and peterson once again did alright. to answer jimmybaldx's question, on a lower salary I'd keep him, he wasn't goood enough to be able to shine in preki's system, but under dasovic, he's looked good, by far the most improved player since the change.

tfc2008
TFC give up late equalizer in last home game

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/10/16/sp-tfc-crew-oct.html

Mikey
I guess we're lucky that the ball being thrown around section 110 didn't go in too.....

tfc2008
10-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Bizarre tie for TFC

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2010/10/16/15717231.html

Darlofletch
10-16-2010, 08:23 PM
scott peterson?

werewolf
10-16-2010, 08:23 PM
I guess we're lucky that the ball being thrown around section 110 didn't go in too.....

the ball I got in the first-half in 112, after the Columbus defender kicked it off the back of Lindsay, was almost mine for keeps. I had half a mind to bolt with it, and just go home...buuuuut there were a number of security at the entrance of the section, and I like those guys.

kaos197O
10-16-2010, 08:36 PM
the ball I got in the first-half in 112, after the Columbus defender kicked it off the back of Lindsay, was almost mine for keeps. I had half a mind to bolt with it, and just go home...buuuuut there were a number of security at the entrance of the section, and I like those guys.
Are you the guy who put it under his shirt? Saw that.....laughed and thought they actually might let ya keep it!

Sonny Cheeba
10-16-2010, 08:41 PM

that's weak.

rocktml
10-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Total fail!!!! No one was wearing green too much noise! and too many ppl showed up......ugh I give up.

Chevy
10-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Any comments on the Krew fans that showed up? Looked like there were about 30 of them up there - haven't heard one word about them. ??

sidvan
10-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Any comments on the Krew fans that showed up? Looked like there were about 30 of them up there - haven't heard one word about them. ??

Yes they were rewarded with the Pizza Pizza In stadium delivery to their row!!
actually saw some in full gear in Sec 123 club seats too.

werewolf
10-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Are you the guy who put it under his shirt? Saw that.....laughed and thought they actually might let ya keep it!

No, that was George B. I passed it off to him because I knew he would do something more entertaining then I. Plus I had the natural attraction to the Bayern shirt :lol:

TFC Cityboy
10-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Total fail!!!! No one was wearing green too much noise! and too many ppl showed up......ugh I give up.
you may wish to reconsider, given the publicity it achieved

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/876558--fans-falling-out-of-love-with-tfc

Hitcho
10-16-2010, 09:10 PM
with no other sounds...it was the same drum beat over and over for the entire game...nothing else to compete with them for sound.

Welcome to the world of everyone in and around 118.

If it didn't mean leaving the seats I was in for season one and all those magic memories, then I'd have relocated long ago.

Hitcho
10-16-2010, 09:12 PM

No, they never turn up until about 23 minutes into the game for some reason. They usually kick off their irritating crap right around the time the Dichio song gets going. And they did so again today. Tedious wankers.

windsorlad111
10-16-2010, 09:13 PM
there is a never a time to boo your own player during a game.

the players are smart enough to know why we are booing. they have facebook.

It's unfortunate, but booing the game is the best way to communicate fan displeasure.

BS1327
10-16-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm pretty sure I was the only one wondering why they weren"t pressing more to win the trillium cup!!

Hitcho
10-16-2010, 09:15 PM

You know, I don't think TRN really give a shit about the team and results, they just turn up, do their incessant thing and leave. Every week. Never hear any of them cheering, clapping, booing or doing anything other than practice their monotone drum noise. Seriously, I;ve never heard them give ay indication that they are aware of the football going on in front of them, in four long years.

Ok, no more TRN posts. For a while... :D

RedRum
10-16-2010, 09:15 PM
I am so fucking proud of the RPB!!!

I mean fucking proud boys... do you understand proud.?.. PROUD motherfuckers!!!

Hey Paul... did you like what you heard today? Pin drops heard when we went up 2-1... pin drops FFS. Do you like that sound? Can you market that? GET USED TO IT BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT YOU WILL HEAR WHEN YOU PRICE SUPPORTERS OUT OF THE STADIUM!!!

Oh yeah and everyone be sure to come out to support the academy boys Sunday in Hamilton. Seemed like every RPB I talked to was coming out for this one. DID I SAY I WAS PROUD??? Haha fuck yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kaos197O
10-16-2010, 09:21 PM

It's unfortunate, but booing the game is the best way to communicate fan displeasure.
I'm pretty sure that JDG is no idiot and heard the boos loud and clear when he skied yet another shot in the 10th minute. if he thought or anyone thinks that it was fans expressing their displeasure with MLSE he'd/they'd be delusional.

Don't kid yourself.....some of the booing IS directed towards the players!

Corcai
10-16-2010, 09:22 PM
I saw the small Protest headline on CP24, and logged in here to learn more. WEAR GREEN. So I did.

I was sitting in 108 and of course I saw 112, wearing green and sitting down. Alot of people around me kept asking what was up with the green so I explained it to them (and told them to read the banners).

The absence of noise and atmosphere was definitely noticed, and as for U-sector it was maybe 10-14 of them looking over at 112 and trying to make an extra effort to chant. It was pretty lame though..I couldnt hear them. But I think all of BMO field heard the 112 sing O'Canada

windsorlad111
10-16-2010, 09:23 PM
the whole of 112 was standing when the red cards were going down.

entertained.

Pookie
10-16-2010, 09:26 PM
After the "Apology" letter, isn't it ironic that that some fans were throwing cheese?

(BTW, throwing stuff is a no-no but who thinks it is a good idea to hand out hard plastic packs of cheese at the half??)

windsorlad111
10-16-2010, 09:28 PM
i don't think BMO has a hand on who hands out free shit outside the ground.

Hitcho
10-16-2010, 09:36 PM
i don't think BMO has a hand on who hands out free shit outside the ground.

I bet they do, for one simple reason - MONEY. I think you have to pay MLSE to be licensed to do that on the grounds on game day - a commercial partnership that they enter into for a day. But yeah, odd decision if they did know because clearly whoever allowed it wasn't around for seat cushion day... :D

dow117
10-16-2010, 10:08 PM
It was suggested that a more effective protest would have the SG's leave their seats after the anthems and then return in minute 23 singing the Dichio song.... demonstrating what the fans mean / bring to the game - dramatic and shows the difference ... not too late for the CL game but many are not even going....

123 elite
10-16-2010, 10:15 PM
interesting in section 123 today. A lot of discussion about not renewing or moving to cheaper seats. First time in 4 years i've ever been able to put my legs over the chairs in front and have no-one behind. There were Crew fans in 123. These seat seasons tx are over 2 grand each and i don't think they are going to be abe to sell them next year. The green in the corner was visible and there was quite a bit of green everywhere else. Dogs abuse for Garcia all game long. And that dick from MLSE was chuckling away to himself when someone yelled thanks for the hat. Tribal rhythmn should shut up for a while. The silence was deafening and thats the first time i have ever seen 112 sit during a game. Bad times. Free tortilla chips though.

DangerRed
10-16-2010, 10:17 PM
:noidea:

The green initiative was not meant for TV. We knew it would be a small number compared to the rest of the stadium but if you were AT the game you would have seen many green shirts and no singing. A show of solidarity among all frustrated fans that was very evident in all sections. Combined with the very effectice silence that 112 took part in fully and the message was sent and received hence in our opinion it was successful. I don't think I read once that this green thing was for TV so why mislead that way?

Come again? No one was saying it was meant for TV. What I described was what it looked like on TV. Two very different things. I think the effectiveness of it kind of boils down to whether it was viewed by a large audience, and you guys can hardly be described as mass-appreciated following the Wear Green campaign. Fair comment?

Oldtimer
10-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Anselmi interviewed during the game said that he thought that winning would change everything.

Well, he's partially right, but ticket prices are indeed a problem, and a winning team won't fix that issue. People are being priced out. It's not like winning will make that issue go away.

Oldtimer
10-16-2010, 10:36 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/10/16/sp-tfc-fan-protest.html

Oldtimer
10-16-2010, 10:38 PM
I suspect that not knowing football culture, MLSE doesn't understand that small things to them, like freezing ticket prices vs. raising them means a lot to football fans.

werewolf
10-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Now we have an outside chance at a higher draft pick, though I doubt the bottom teams in the West are going to make a big push. :)

Though 2nd overall, 4th overall, 10th overall, really doesnt matter if we are going to trade the player for allocation money anyway, regardless of how effective they are on the field.

Inklink
10-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Good thing I only spent 10 minutes watching this shit. :)

Macksam
10-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Did anyone else notice before the start of the game Nigel mentioning the green shirts for a second. He was like "The supporters wearing green shirts to show...and now the Crew's starting eleven are" I think someone behind the scenes told him to stop talking about that. De Vos, Peacock and Nigel were all talking about how the supporters were unhappy and Peacock even coyly said "Supporters are complaining they're not getting their moneys worth." While he didn't out right say what the exact problem was, it's still nice to see the media pick up on this.

Auzzy
10-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Attakora's interview on the TFC website is very short. They obviously cut out any questions about the ticket prices & unhappy fans.

denime
10-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Attakora's interview on the TFC website is very short. They obviously cut out any questions about the ticket prices & unhappy fans.
Yeah,but not here:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/10/16/sp-tfc-fan-protest.html

Toronto FC defender Nana Attakora appreciates why fans are so upset.
“Definitely,100 per cent. We haven’t performed and [season] ticket prices are going up and I don’t blame them,” Attakora said.

Hey ML$E:
Can you hear Toronto sing?:nono::nono:

_

Sweeper
10-16-2010, 11:18 PM
I have to say that in the history crappy TFC results this was the most heartbreaking. Not so much that that we were outplayed or deserved the draw it just feels like we have hit rock bottom. I feel for the guys like Santos that left everything on the field today. This loss (tie) was one of the hardest even though some might argue it was meaningless. Hopefully the only way is up from here.

DichioTFC
10-16-2010, 11:21 PM
^^ Attakora, a class act all the way. I have a feeling if he weren't playing for this team, he would be a supporter.

Some solace from the match, Fox Sports Ohio was down so Crew fans didn't get a chance to see the game... so yep, all 10 of them missed Hesmer's wonderstrike.

jazzy
10-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Anselmi interviewed during the game said that he thought that winning would change everything.

Well, he's partially right, but ticket prices are indeed a problem, and a winning team won't fix that issue. People are being priced out. It's not like winning will make that issue go away.

agreeed...check out Raptors, (MLSE)...new premium ticket policy regarding their cheapest seats previously $12.50, now for the big games are up to $90 for the Heat......this the owner we are dealing with......There is no hope....eventually we who want reasonably priced tickets will not be buying seasons, I can afford it but, have a limit and it probably is next year.....If the team is ever sold, maybe there is a chance......won't happen!

DichioTFC
10-16-2010, 11:40 PM
^ That's the new nature of North American sports. MLB teams will jack up walk-up sales prices if Halladay or Lincecum comes to town. NFL games are notoriously expensive. TFC seems to be following the same trend.

I had my heart set on picking up seasons, but I'm probably going to pass even if I get offered great seats. Its simply not worth it and with a 30% renewal rate, we'll all be able to get tickets through the box office next year.

reggie
10-17-2010, 12:19 AM
the nightmare season is almost over...got to admit the last few games at home have been entertaining..

Big Bruva
10-17-2010, 12:31 AM

Exactly but i have said that about many TFC fans if not most that its a good day out and you can go a drink a beer and sing etc i have been to nearly every home match this season and the following happens around me every match without fail:

* People not even watching the match just talking and looking at each other

* Fans cheering just coz its fun lol

* Fans yelling at the ref and trying their hardest to make a scene for a call that is blatant like today (playing on the ground) for example

* Still not sure why it always seems like a battle at TFC matches with different songs being sung at the same time, not sure some people realize chanting is about backing your team.

I understand some are still learning about the game but these are maybe some of the reasons why your friends feel that way coz i and my friends feel the same way. A lot of fans love that TFC is here and try to act out what they have seen on the tele from fans in europe and its evident a lot of times.

Big Bruva
10-17-2010, 12:41 AM

Oh many of the players know that's for sure and sometimes they are told by someone that thinks they should know cough cough lol

Torontotonto
10-17-2010, 01:00 AM

Not from RPB

Keystone FC
10-17-2010, 01:00 AM
Yes they were rewarded with the Pizza Pizza In stadium delivery to their row!!
Let me guess...it was the row with the one chick in the visitors section. The one they showed after the Hesmer goal.

TFCwestcan
10-17-2010, 01:02 AM
well, well... a mean nothing game but really the most entertaining game in the last few weeks. I was wondering who the hell the guy in the white is, (for a spilt second). I know people are disappointed but let's look at the positives we will beat the crew, TFC without some regulars looked decent, good in fact, the big upside Lindsey & Santos. I love how they battled, this season is over but they bode well for next year.

I do think that MLSE has gotten the message, the big cheese was there at the game so he will have heard the effective silence of the game in the first half.

Kind of sad we didn't win but enjoyed the game in the end.

Keystone FC
10-17-2010, 01:07 AM

But a winning club (constantly winning) would make for the price increase somewhat less painful and maybe even understandable.

Torontotonto
10-17-2010, 01:10 AM

We did at half time outside to ask then to tone it down today, deaf ears I guess.

Keystone FC
10-17-2010, 01:11 AM
the nightmare season is almost over...
And a new one is about to begin...the off season.
I have to say that this will be probably the most intense off season for the MLSE CEO's and TFC FO.

reggie
10-17-2010, 01:21 AM
im looking foward to it..at least we dont have listen to mo and his bullshit.
lets hope we hit rock bottom today and we can only go up from here.

DichioTFC
10-17-2010, 01:28 AM
And a new one is about to begin...the off season.
I have to say that this will be probably the most intense off season for the MLSE CEO's and TFC FO.

Dont get your hopes up about the intensity of the offseason. Draft will be handled by consultants. GM will probably be hired in the new year (I'm thinking February). Season starts March 19.

Pachuco
10-17-2010, 01:34 AM
The best news about all this is that The Philadelphia Union, that's right people, the expansion team of Philadelphia Union is 1 point behind us in the standings with 1 game to go. People have made their excuses for Seattle, but that excuse can't be made with P.A. Our first year was an absolute fucking disaster and it was apparant right there and then that this is where we were headed.

What a pathetic joke of a team that ended in the best of ways for MLSE (opposing goalie scores to tie the game in injury time). What a joke.

reggie
10-17-2010, 01:38 AM
i heard anselmi is off to SA for a scouting trip.
overheard him say they are looking at a young kid named PELE...

Brooker
10-17-2010, 05:44 AM
Hate? Sorry there no hate between two groups.

Oh theres definitely some hate. Maybe not to the level that NEE takes it to, but theres some legit hatred.

DichioTFC
10-17-2010, 06:35 AM
Oh theres definitely some hate. Maybe not to the level that NEE takes it to, but theres some legit hatred.

I dont know if I would call it hate, but a begrudging dislike...

whatever it is, supporter groups beefing with one another is stoopid

Kooper
10-17-2010, 07:51 AM

When Usector weren't singing the silence was deafening.

sulfur
10-17-2010, 08:16 AM
On telly, the only singing that could be heard at all was the Dichio23 song.

That's it. Some occasional cheering, some booing, and a clear "fuck the crew" yelled by someone shortly before halftime. :)

anto7
10-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Wow, after 4 years of unwavering support, driving from Belleville for every game, it comes to an end with a very strange day. After sleeping and reflecting, I feel very sad this morning, sad that I feel MLSE have pushed me into making decision that I may end up regretting. Throughout the game yesterday I felt very angry to witness what I was seeing and not hearing. The atmosphere was eerie, you could actually hear peoples conversations and what the players were shouting. In the last 5 minutes myself and some people sat around me( who have also decided not to renew) started to feel sadness instead of anger, it felt like we were splitting up a family after spending the last 4 years together. Then came that goal from Hesner, fucking hilarious ! Seriously, I could not help but laugh at the irony of it all, what a way to end my last game as a SSH. The sad thing is, I actually had the time to turn to my fellow supporters and say "OMG, the fucking goalie is going to score". That is how much time Hesner had before he made his shot !
Watching the players after the final whistle was also very sad, they were all looking at each other trying to decide if they dared to thanks the fans, I actually felt a little sorry for them.
I do hope to still come and see some games next season but I don't think it will ever be the same again.
Good luck to all those who stay.

Nuvinho
10-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Wow, after 4 years of unwavering support, driving from Belleville for every game, it comes to an end with a very strange day. After sleeping and reflecting, I feel very sad this morning, sad that I feel MLSE have pushed me into making decision that I may end up regretting. Throughout the game yesterday I felt very angry to witness what I was seeing and not hearing. The atmosphere was eerie, you could actually hear peoples conversations and what the players were shouting. In the last 5 minutes myself and some people sat around me( who have also decided not to renew) started to feel sadness instead of anger, it felt like we were splitting up a family after spending the last 4 years together. Then came that goal from Hesner, fucking hilarious ! Seriously, I could not help but laugh at the irony of it all, what a way to end my last game as a SSH. The sad thing is, I actually had the time to turn to my fellow supporters and say "OMG, the fucking goalie is going to score". That is how much time Hesner had before he made his shot !
Watching the players after the final whistle was also very sad, they were all looking at each other trying to decide if they dared to thanks the fans, I actually felt a little sorry for them.
I do hope to still come and see some games next season but I don't think it will ever be the same again.
Good luck to all those who stay.

Sorry to hear that man!! Hopefully I'll still see you guys at games next year.

Nuvinho
10-17-2010, 08:24 AM
I admit. That game kinda was boring. TFC goals were great, but the atmosphere made it like watching the game on TV. I actually left at the 80' minute mark. So I missed the Hesmer goal...I think it would of ruined the rest of my day if I knew the Crew goalie scored (only found out about it after 9pm).

London
10-17-2010, 08:24 AM

and that is how it will stay untill the situation is corrected

anto7
10-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Sorry to hear that man!! Hopefully I'll still see you guys at games next year.
Thanks Nuvi

anto7
10-17-2010, 08:26 AM
I admit. That game kinda was boring. TFC goals were great, but the atmosphere made it like watching the game on TV. I actually left at the 80' minute mark. So I missed the Hesmer goal...I think it would of ruined the rest of my day if I knew the Crew goalie scored (only found out about it after 9pm).
I call bullshit Nuvi, I saw the hot chick you were with yesterday, I know why you left early !.....lol

denime
10-17-2010, 08:35 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/25jytlz.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/20v0pqb.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2h2mt61.jpg

ochos
10-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Great job by everyone wearing green - certainly another memorable game indeed.

Poor sport by U-Sector. They could have sent a much louder (silent?) message to the FO....

Darlofletch
10-17-2010, 10:33 AM
would it be mischeivous to point out that this was one of our best, most organised, most dangerous performances going forward in a long long time. and De Ro was up in the commentary box talking to nigel and jason.

hmmmmm.

nfitz
10-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Poor sport by U-Sector. They could have sent a much louder (silent?) message to the FO....Surely during game time we should be supporting the players - and not being self-indulgent with a tiff with management.

When players show this kind of disrespect during game time, we certainly object to it. Why are should the rules be any different for supporters?

Wear what you want ... but to not cheer during the game is not supporting.

More importantly, what was with all the projectiles I could see being tossed at opposing players from 112?

Roogsy
10-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Surely during game time we should be supporting the players - and not being self-indulgent with a tiff with management.

When players show this kind of disrespect during game time, we certainly object to it. Why are should the rules be any different for supporters?

More importantly, what was with all the projectiles I could see being tossed at opposing players from 112?

And this is where your opinion loses credit.

Every single one of the projectiles came from 113 not 112. I was there, I saw each one and not a single one came from 112. So let's get that clear from the start.

As for not cheering being not support, that is a discussion for another time. You have no idea how difficult it was for us not to cheer but you tell me a better way to show TFC management what a morgue BMO Field would be without the supporters that they are pricing out? If you can, let us know, we'd love to know.

The players knew about about our issue and what we were doing and they are on our side. They are fully aware of why we were silent and thus did not feel like we were not supporting them hence no damage on that front for being silent.

Support is more than just cheering and some people don't get that.

nfitz
10-17-2010, 11:01 AM
And this is where your opinion loses credit. Opinion? It was an observation, not an opinion.

Every single one of the projectiles came from 113 not 112. I was there, I saw each one and not a single one came from 112. So let's get that clear from the start.I was sitting on 132, and only noticed a few projectiles from there during the game. It was more visible on TV. TO me it looked as though they were coming from near the 112/113 aisle, away from the area where fans in 113 were dancing and singing which looked to be on the 114 side of 113.

I know there is a cluster of scalper tickets in the middle of 113, in the front few rows ... perhaps that was the source?

As for not cheering being not support, that is a discussion for another time.I don't know a better time not to discuss it.

There are lots of ways to show protest. Personally, I'm surprised you were all standing; I figured you'd be sitting down (and cheering) which would have been a stunning sight.

maximo_rpd
10-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Surely during game time we should be supporting the players - and not being self-indulgent with a tiff with management.

Man! You are so far out in left field by yourself, I would swear you are a baseball fan, not a footy fan...:picard:

The protest worked - why are you arguing against amazing success? National CBC coverage both on TV and the web - nice two page spread in the Star today - NEW YORK TIMES COVERAGE etc. etc The players know what this is about, even if you don't - even with two goalkeeper goals yesterday, the boys know we support them 100%... well all of the boys except perhaps mista...

Wake up and smell the coffee!

nfitz
10-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Man! You are so far out in left field by yourself, I would swear you are a baseball fan, not a footy fan...:picard:Outside of the RPB and NEE, most of the people in the stadium were up on their seat cheering when we scored, and bounced to their feet when something exciting happened. I'm well aware of that as I had a 2-year old on my lap, and my view kept being impeded.

Those who do not cheer the players seem to be in minority - at least from my seat.

The protest worked - why are you arguing against amazing success?Forgive me - I missed the announcement that MLSE was reducing ticket prices and removing MLS Cup from the ticket package (which they only seem to have done for new season ticket holders, rather than existing holders).

The protest had already worked with the signs and shirts. The media covered it extensively before the game started. Cheering when we scored would not have diminished the protest.

DichioTFC
10-17-2010, 02:05 PM
^ Dude, I was against the protest in the beginning, but I'm actually very impressed with what has been accomplished so far. Clearly its not enough, the protest hasn't officially "worked" but it's furthered the discussion and acquired international media attention, which isn't too bad for our humble little group.

You're entitled to your opinion, but even though I would personally cheer a goal despite a silent protest, I really cant blame anyone that wouldn't cheer anything.

nfitz
10-17-2010, 02:22 PM
You're entitled to your opinion, but even though I would personally cheer a goal despite a silent protest, I really cant blame anyone that wouldn't cheer anything.I 100% agree. I'm not blaming anyone for silently protesting; I wouldn't do it, but I'm not blaming those that did. I spoke up here because there are those here who were blaming those that didn't silently protest.

Live and let live.

maximo_rpd
10-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Forgive me - I missed the announcement that MLSE was reducing ticket prices and removing MLS Cup from the ticket package (which they only seem to have done for new season ticket holders, rather than existing holders).

Dealing with MLSE is a process - the purpose of the protest, particularly the "silent" protest was to embarass, draw attention and send a message. Nobody figured MLSE would capitulate right after the game...The silence was quite noriceable on National television and provided discussion points for all of the commentators in all of the media. TFC supporters are not most noted for their banners or the color of their shirts - the are noted for their vocal talent. Removing the vocal talent - the second last straw, makes a ton of sense. By far, the most successful protest in four years has been the body of work in the last 2-3 weeks - with some luck, it will be ultimately successful! Its OK if you want to cheer - we all want to cheer - who can resist reacting to the Santos goal - hardly anyone can resist!

rocker
10-17-2010, 05:21 PM
I actually found the game entertaining. One of the better homes games we've had in the second half of the season. Columbus looked like mere mortals.

Lindsay looked great. Santos was a beast (loved the stepovers!).

Conway's clapping to the crowd and the massive reaction in response by the stadium was awesome. It was like having just watched a prize fight.

Bad: De Guzman was invisible in the first half but better in the second. Garcia annoyed me with his tendency to scramble and clear balls directly to Columbus players. It was funny when people were booing the ref after he carded Garcia for a foul on a Columbus player near the sideline -- it was a clearly bad foul.

I didn't even miss Me Ro, by the way.

Derko
10-17-2010, 06:56 PM
The best news about all this is that The Philadelphia Union, that's right people, the expansion team of Philadelphia Union is 1 point behind us in the standings with 1 game to go. People have made their excuses for Seattle, but that excuse can't be made with P.A. Our first year was an absolute fucking disaster and it was apparant right there and then that this is where we were headed.

What a pathetic joke of a team that ended in the best of ways for MLSE (opposing goalie scores to tie the game in injury time). What a joke.

Yes it was sad that the opposing goalkeeper scored the tying goal, BUT, as far as tactics goes that was the correct one for Columbus to use at that juncture, Columbus had an extra attacker in the box for the corner kick, a wise move, it was quite obvious that Columbus would make that play. It may be a little unorthodox, but had nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Goalkeepers do know how to kick a ball, don't they. just my humble opinion.
This year certainly sucked!!!

Kooper
10-17-2010, 07:00 PM

I was disgusted at the end of the game. This is the last REAL game of the season and tradition has been that they do a pass around the stadium so they can thank us and we can thank them. They seemed terrified and stayed in the middle of the pitch. They might be waiting for Tuesday but with other CCL games the attendance was low. Thye have to know that this is the closest thing they are going to get to a warm reception.

People wonder why Dichio is loved so much more than Dero. He lead the post game walk around every game and won our support with passion and humility. Frei and the othe players who didn't play were there on the field for the post match clap but I couldn't see Dero. Did anyone?

MLSE should have told the players "Do what ever you can to build bridges with the fans. Spend 5 minutes shaking hands and signing autographs." Instead they give a little clap and head off.

menefreghista
10-17-2010, 07:02 PM
De Rosario was suspended. I'm pretty sure that means you aren't allowed to be anywhere near the field, even post game.

CretanBull
10-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Frei and the othe players who didn't play were there on the field for the post match clap but I couldn't see Dero. Did anyone?

Frie etc. didn't play by the coaches decision. De Ro was suspended - it would have been a violation of league rules for him to have been there.

ag futbol
10-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Personally to me what you're describing is little more than a dog and pony show. I don't care about a post game clap, I care about winning. And frankly, in a game where the supporters decided to sit on their hands in protest (although that had little to do with the players themselves) you want a post game clap?

Kooper
10-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Frie etc. didn't play by the coaches decision. De Ro was suspended - it would have been a violation of league rules for him to have been there.
OK makes sense.

bgnewf
10-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Insult To Injury

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/10/insult-to-injury/

Some video thoughts on the game Saturday at BMO Field against the Columbus Crew. I cover off the four positives (yes there were four positives!), I talk about the fan anger/protests finally getting some mainstream traction and I finish off with why Barry MacLean's sideline pass should be revoked.

CretanBull
10-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Insult To Injury

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/10/insult-to-injury/

Some video thoughts on the game Saturday at BMO Field against the Columbus Crew. I cover off the four positives (yes there were four positives!), I talk about the fan anger/protests finally getting some mainstream traction and I finish off with why Barry MacLean's sideline pass should be revoked.

WTF?!? Haven't these clowns learned anything at all?

FluSH
10-17-2010, 08:16 PM
It was my daughter's BDAY that day so I could not attend... but I thought someone was playing a joke on me when they told me that a Columbus Keeper has more goals than JDG for the year... I saw the highlights afterwards.... wow

Auzzy
10-17-2010, 08:18 PM
I spent some time in three different sections during the game, and everywhere it was much quieter than normal. Part of that was due to RPB's & NEE's deliberate action; part of it was general disinterest/disgust by many other fans; part of it was general low numbers in the stadium. The protest worked very well to draw attention to the issues, as seen by the media reaction. It will definitely be noticed by TFC management as well as MLS (worried looking ahead to the MLS Cup).

Garcia annoyed me with his tendency to scramble and clear balls directly to Columbus players. It was funny when people were booing the ref after he carded Garcia for a foul on a Columbus player near the sideline -- it was a clearly bad foul.

I dunno about that. I was sitting with some very knowledgeable footy folks. In real-time from the other side of the pitch, we also thought it was a bad foul. But in the replay, it really didn't look like much. Basically the Columbus player ran into Garcia. We felt the ref's card was more in reaction to how spectacular it looked, than to anything Garcia did. Also note how good many Columbus players are at flipping & falling & tumbling in all kinds of situations. It's obviously been well practiced.

But Garcia did some pretty dumb & dangerous things at other times. Generally, the ref let lots of other things go, so no complaint really. Shortly after Garcia's yellow, a TFC player (no idea who) committed what looked like a pretty obvious & major foul, in a very dangerous position for a free kick in front of Toronto's penalty area, but the ref didn't call anything. We all looked at each other & said, oh well, we'll take that in exchange for Garcia's yellow.

Yes it was sad that the opposing goalkeeper scored the tying goal, BUT, as far as tactics goes that was the correct one for Columbus to use at that juncture, Columbus had an extra attacker in the box for the corner kick, a wise move, it was quite obvious that Columbus would make that play. It may be a little unorthodox, but had nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Goalkeepers do know how to kick a ball, don't they. just my humble opinion.
This year certainly sucked!!!

The TFC players totally failed to react to this big guy in a bright white kit, who came storming up the field. NOBODY moved to cover him before the corner. A couple of other TFC players were standing around in other spots with no clear role to play; one of them could easily have moved to watch Hesmer closely. Shocking that he had so much time to shoot. On previous corners, we also noticed one or more big & dangerous Columbus players, directly in front of TFC's goal & totally uncovered. Only poor delivery on the corners stopped them from scoring easy goals.

Auzzy
10-17-2010, 08:25 PM

I read this in Gareth Wheeler's article "Heartbreaker for TFC" http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/10/16/15717896.html

It has been said jokingly that Mo Johnston is among the consultants in the search for a new general manager. But maybe we shouldn’t be laughing at all. Is the line of thinking that far-fetched considering this organization?

Better the devil you know. Perhaps that’s why agent Barry Maclean is still field level with all the MLSEL/TFC suits pre-game.

arbogast
10-17-2010, 10:38 PM

Like Auzzy said, it wouldn't surprise me if Barry MacLean's one of the GM Consultants. But he does manage John Conway, OB White, and Ty Harden (not to menion Barrett, Sanyang and Nane). Maybe he was watching his guys, maybe working on deals for next season?

Blizzard
10-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Like Auzzy said, it wouldn't surprise me if Barry MacLean's one of the GM Consultants. But he does manage John Conway, OB White, and Ty Harden (not to menion Barrett, Sanyang and Nane). Maybe he was watching his guys, maybe working on deals for next season?

I think that's fair. He has clients on the club so why would he not be seen at BMO?

It's not that big a deal.

DichioTFC
10-18-2010, 12:59 AM
I think that's fair. He has clients on the club so why would he not be seen at BMO?

Ordinarily it would be arguably okay, maybe even welcomed, but the potential for these consultants to use undue influence is very high and has been perceived by many to have been abused in the past, specifically by First Wave.

Example: You're the GM. A person representing Jon Conway (good keeper, 36, being paid $80K?) is one of your consultants. Your decision is to eliminate one of the backup keepers. The other keeper is Milos Kocic (good keeper, low-20s, being paid 40K, Canadian) and not represented by the consultant. Which one do you the consultant would argue in favour of keeping?

I would argue, as I'm sure many others would as well, that the consultant has a potential conflict of interest, where he most likely will be putting the interests of his client above and beyond the interests of the club. This is where the potential for abuse happens and this is where we get 4 years of over-inflated contracts and no playoffs.

Any consultants that have a connection to any players on our team should not be hired to help with the draft process. I'm sure consultants told Mo to pick Cronin (good CM) over Omar Gonzalez (great CB, was most pressing need at the time), or that we have to draft / keep OBW (First Wave client). These bad decisions keep putting us deeper and deeper in the hole while teams like NYRB leapfrog us (forget Henry and Marquez, they drafted great players before those two came in).

menefreghista
10-18-2010, 06:34 AM

Give me a break.

Why would an agent need to be at field level?

Blizzard
10-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Ordinarily it would be arguably okay, maybe even welcomed, but the potential for these consultants to use undue influence is very high and has been perceived by many to have been abused in the past, specifically by First Wave.

Example: You're the GM. A person representing Jon Conway (good keeper, 36, being paid $80K?) is one of your consultants. Your decision is to eliminate one of the backup keepers. The other keeper is Milos Kocic (good keeper, low-20s, being paid 40K, Canadian) and not represented by the consultant. Which one do you the consultant would argue in favour of keeping?

I would argue, as I'm sure many others would as well, that the consultant has a potential conflict of interest, where he most likely will be putting the interests of his client above and beyond the interests of the club. This is where the potential for abuse happens and this is where we get 4 years of over-inflated contracts and no playoffs.

Any consultants that have a connection to any players on our team should not be hired to help with the draft process. I'm sure consultants told Mo to pick Cronin (good CM) over Omar Gonzalez (great CB, was most pressing need at the time), or that we have to draft / keep OBW (First Wave client). These bad decisions keep putting us deeper and deeper in the hole while teams like NYRB leapfrog us (forget Henry and Marquez, they drafted great players before those two came in).

Ah, I didn't realize that it had been reported that he has been hired to be a consultant in the GM search apart from that little remark by Wheeler.

Link please?

If he is not a consultant, it is not a conflict of interest.

Roogsy
10-18-2010, 10:22 AM
I have clients that are on TFC...you don't see me at pitch-level. Not that Paul A would let me. :lol:

Beach_Red
10-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Don't forget Brennan and Daso. and John Carver, hey maybe they'll bring him back...

Section 117
10-18-2010, 11:25 AM
I am still gutted over Saturday. From their keeper scoring to the morgue like atmosphere. It felt just like the ACC

Hooligan69
10-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Didn't see the game at all as I went to the movies instead. Think I made the correct decision. The films were far more rewarding.

Gosh. Now self-important people will claim I'm not a real supporter. Hooray!

sulfur
10-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Gosh. Now self-important people will claim I'm not a real supporter. Hooray!
Dude, you're so not a real supporter.

That means you can join me in the not-a-real-supporter group. We watched the game at home. :)

ag futbol
10-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Is first wave actually being consulted? That might be far be the dumbest move i have ever heard.

Personally, if we blacklisted that shit-hole i'd be quite happy.

Hooligan69
10-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Dude, you're so not a real supporter.

That means you can join me in the not-a-real-supporter group. We watched the game at home. :)

:flare::flare: