PDA

View Full Version : Anslemi will be on 590 next [4:10]

trane
10-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Putting out there.

Roogsy
10-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Coming up after commercials...seconds to go.

ArmenJBX
10-13-2010, 03:27 PM
lol.

Tom Anselmi didn't hear about Serbia-Italy.

That right there shows us that Toronto FC is being run by non-soccer brains. That's it.
We're not going to be successful under hockey people.

trane
10-13-2010, 03:29 PM
I am listening to this, he just does not get it.

Dave67
10-13-2010, 03:31 PM
'Value is about the price and the product'. Oh how this man has fallen from the 'supply & demand' quote a few weeks ago.

TFC Cityboy
10-13-2010, 03:31 PM
lol.

Tom Anselmi didn't hear about Serbia-Italy.

That right there shows us that Toronto FC is being run by non-soccer brains. That's it.
We're not going to be successful under hockey people.
WHAT A FUCKIN MUPPET

Beach_Red
10-13-2010, 03:32 PM
I am listening to this, he just does not get it.

He really doesn't. Not at all.

Worst of all is when he says, "We're learning." Why didn't they hire someone who knew? Why do they still think they can do it themselves?

ArmenJBX
10-13-2010, 03:33 PM
No.

It's not very early.

You find it right the fuck now and let him have THE WHOLE OFFSEASON to fix this shit.

Please Tom, don't be a moron. Find a strong GM by the end of this year AT BEST.

Ben - D.O.W.
Any points for people who can't listen in at work?

Edit: whoops - refresh then post.

Dave67
Tom completely does not get it. Wow. Oh yeah, Brennan is qualified to help on the new GM search? Did I hear that right?

DavydMT
10-13-2010, 03:34 PM

nope

Beach_Red
10-13-2010, 03:34 PM

No, it's just his standard line, you've heard it all before.

Dave67
10-13-2010, 03:35 PM

Hard to catch up with all the Tom points so far. The short form from him seems to be the problem is being in a sport where the number of games change every year. He can't see ever doing this with the Leafs or Raps as the number of games is fixed.

Beach_Red
10-13-2010, 03:36 PM
He says they're going to announce a couple of "consultants" in the next couple of weeks who's going to help them do the hiring. "Big names" to handle the search process. Which is good news.

But wow, what corporate-speak, pr crap.

DavydMT
10-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Tom completely does not get it. Wow. Oh yeah, Brennan is qualified to help on the new GM search? Did I hear that right?

qualified to lead us in a right direction, i think this has nothing to do with new GM.

Roogsy
10-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Notes I took while he was on with Bobo McClown.

McCowan bringing up the Italy/Serbia debacle. Of course he highlights that.

COO Tom Anselmi did not see the game or the highlights of that game. They mocked Tom actually watching “soccer highlights”.

McCowan says he fears the lunatic fringe and that is why he does not go to TFC games. What an idiot.

TA says the season did not pan out the way it was supposed to and the fans are upset as are they.

They “changed gears” September 14 and will put an FO in place that will lead the team in the right direction.

He says hockey and basketball have 45 games every year but soccer changes every year. They added qualifiying and CONCACAF games and they will respond to the anger and back out of a couple of games.

They are “learning a lot”. Apparently not enough IMO.

Most fans behave like average fans but a “couple of thousand” act like Europeans and are responsible for the atmosphere. :noidea:

22 games in the package reduced to 20.

Bobo asks about the per game price, whether it went up and TA says it’s only a little “tweaking” of the prices but that is not the issue. WHAT???

John asks if it is an apology of the ticket or the pricing or both? TA says that if the team made the playoffs, the pushback would not have been as severe.

Can I ask something, where did they get the idea that the two extra CONCACAF games are what is making the fans upset? Do they really believe this???

He keeps saying this is a different fanbase and a different sport. Some fans do want MLS Cup and some don’t. If Tom knows this, why is he saying CONCACAF is what is making the fans upset???

TA says they are early in the search for the GM post. People flying in for both positions but the GM will pick the coach. Hopefully in a “short while” they can announce something.

TA says what a GM needs is being debated and there is no consensus. It’s a different world in MLS than in Europe. He says the pool is shallow in North America. He says someone with a little less NA experience could do the job but they are looking everywhere but next week is when they will hire the consultants that will help them search.

Like Cliff Fletcher and Wayne Embry, they will be bringing in experienced soccer people to search for the next GM although unlike these two, the consultants won’t be interim GM, that is Earl.

McCowan says fix it, we don’t want a riot. :rolleyes:

Funny...at no point do we hear anything about "supply and demand". I guess that offensive argument went out the window when they realized they shit the bed.

Dave67
10-13-2010, 03:38 PM
qualified to lead us in a right direction, i think this has nothing to do with new GM.

Okay. Tom was talking 10 miles a minute there. and the interview is over.

bgnewf
10-13-2010, 03:39 PM
"tweaking"...... yeah right.

ArmenJBX
10-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Roogs, are we wearing green this saturday, as an organized protest, or is it just a select few people?

Beach_Red
10-13-2010, 03:41 PM

No. He said for the interim Cochran and Brennan are fine but in the next couple of weeks they'll be announcing the consultant they're hiring to handle the search for a new GM and then the GM will be able to hire his own coach (they didn't ask if the GM would have to keep the assistants and the front office, but it sounds like Cochran, Brennan, Dichio, etc., are safe. Probably Daso, too).

John Shannon mentioned that they hired Wayne Embry for basketball and Cliff Fletcher for hockey when they were looking for someone to run the team and Anselmi said it would also be someone well-known to handle this search.

No one asked him how come after needing to do it for both basketball and hockey they didn't do it originally for soccer, a sport they even know less about.

It's like the last four years didn't happen.

Ben - D.O.W.
10-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks for everyone who posted - nice to able to keep up this way. Even if TA seems to have made some brutal points, and once again missed the plot.

Roogsy
10-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Roogs, are we wearing green this saturday, as an organized protest, or is it just a select few people?

The invitation to wear green is for anyone who would like to demonstrate their frustration with this team. It is not just for RPB. Although we as a group are committed to wearing green, we are simply inviting anyone who is not RPB to join us if they so choose.

Or to demonstrate it in their own way. As NEE is doing.

DavydMT
10-13-2010, 03:48 PM
This was a very easy and controlled interview to get MLSE on the FAN to say sorry. Bob really had no interest in this story and applied no pressure, but even simple questions made Anslemi uncomfortable. My 2cents

@ Jimmy - 112 will be all green and we will try to get as many people as possible to join

__wowza
10-13-2010, 03:49 PM
McCowan says he fears the lunatic fringe and that is why he does not go to TFC games. What an idiot.

yeah, he also claimed that baseball and hockey were the most recognized sports in the world. he said, and i paraphrase quite tightly here:

"they play baseball in japan, what other north american sports have that far a reach?" and "hockey is as big in europe as soccer, even more so".

you know the ads where he's in the empty rogers centre saying "i don't care if people like me"? well, it's not about being liked, there's really no cure for being a twat.

Pookie
10-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Pros:
"Retaining help to find the new GM"

Cons:
Spinning of the ticket price issue into "too many games in a package."

Really? Did you feel that way when you packaged the Marlies' tickets in with TFC tickets?
I tend to think that the issue is that the SGs have the 3rd highest priced ticket in all the league.
Loyal STHs in the Red, Dark Grey and Club sections pay the highest prices in the league.
Red Listers, targeted with the North End seats were subjected to the highest per game price in the league for (non-supporter) seats behind a goal.
Med Grey holders pay the 2nd highest price for their vantage point vs other MLS teams.
There's obviously more to this than the spin of too many games in a package.

trane
10-13-2010, 04:02 PM
No. He said for the interim Cochran and Brennan are fine but in the next couple of weeks they'll be announcing the consultant they're hiring to handle the search for a new GM and then the GM will be able to hire his own coach (they didn't ask if the GM would have to keep the assistants and the front office, but it sounds like Cochran, Brennan, Dichio, etc., are safe. Probably Daso, too).

John Shannon mentioned that they hired Wayne Embry for basketball and Cliff Fletcher for hockey when they were looking for someone to run the team and Anselmi said it would also be someone well-known to handle this search.

No one asked him how come after needing to do it for both basketball and hockey they didn't do it originally for soccer, a sport they even know less about.

It's like the last four years didn't happen.

That is the thing, what now another five year plan, all over again?

Super
10-13-2010, 04:48 PM
This was a very easy and controlled interview to get MLSE on the FAN to say sorry. Bob really had no interest in this story and applied no pressure, but even simple questions made Anslemi uncomfortable. My 2cents

@ Jimmy - 112 will be all green and we will try to get as many people as possible to join

Doubt all of 112 will be green. I do appreciate the protest and the reasoning behind it, I just don't feel like protesting anymore. I kinda think it's pointless. I think the days of protesting are over for me at least. We've had a million and one protests, and nothing ever budged MLSE or TFC FO. Now we see that they're sweating, and why? Because the expensive seats aren't getting renewed. Let's face it: they don't care about supporters, fans, or the sport in general. They care about dollars (and I get that's why people will be wearing green - but really, is that news to anyone? That MLSE is only about money?). Unfortunately understanding the sport and caring about fans goes hand in hand with success, but MLSE will never understand that - unless they change harder than a wife-beating drunk.

spark
10-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Doubt all of 112 will be green. I do appreciate the protest and the reasoning behind it, I just don't feel like protesting anymore. I kinda think it's pointless. I think the days of protesting are over for me at least. We've had a million and one protests, and nothing ever budged MLSE or TFC FO. Now we see that they're sweating, and why? Because the expensive seats aren't getting renewed. Let's face it: they don't care about supporters, fans, or the sport in general. They care about dollars (and I get that's why people will be wearing green - but really, is that news to anyone? That MLSE is only about money?). Unfortunately understanding the sport and caring about fans goes hand in hand with success, but MLSE will never understand that - unless they change harder than a wife-beating drunk.

I think this is a really good point. It's being spun like "we're listening to the supporters - WE'VE LISTENED TO YOU" - when in reality they've only listened to the account reps who are probably telling them renewals are down. The point is - protests didn't bring this about, it was what people have been talking about for the last two years and that's hitting them in the wallet. They won't change until they are forced to and they are calling our bluff that this will win us over.

Limani_Ole
10-13-2010, 05:45 PM
They listen but they dont understand..

If prices increase by one dollar per seat you are screwing your STH, then you screw him by trying to be his banker and holding on to payments of games that may never happen, then you force them to buy the MLS Cup... but the sting for me will be next year when they bring a Barcelona or a Inter Milan to play a friendly.. and the fans who made this all happen will have to watch on GoalTV for a charge.. because they cant pay the extra 150 bucks after the 780 they already paid for season tickets..

as a service to myself dignity.. I will not renew.. cuz if I dont get to watch Barcelona or Inter, or Arsenal... after putting up with years of sub-par soccer... I dont think anyone else deserves to watch them.. unless they are season ticket holders..

DichioTFC
10-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Anselmi's neck is on the chopping block next. He has 6 months to turn this around. If the next guys he hires fucks up, he better be gone at the end of 2011.

ArmenJBX
10-13-2010, 07:00 PM
lol Tom Anselmi won't be fired for Toronto FC.

He does more than just TFC work.

LesH
10-13-2010, 07:12 PM
yeah, he also claimed that baseball and hockey were the most recognized sports in the world. he said, and i paraphrase quite tightly here:

"they play baseball in japan, what other north american sports have that far a reach?" and "hockey is as big in europe as soccer, even more so".

you know the ads where he's in the empty rogers centre saying "i don't care if people like me"? well, it's not about being liked, there's really no cure for being a twat.

Oh boy, did he really said that?
The man is an absolute idiot!!!!!

algieb
10-13-2010, 08:13 PM
The invitation to wear green is for anyone who would like to demonstrate their frustration with this team. It is not just for RPB. Although we as a group are committed to wearing green, we are simply inviting anyone who is not RPB to join us if they so choose.

Or to demonstrate it in their own way. As NEE is doing.
sorry guys but every seasons end our group get to wear there original team colours there are 8 of us from all over the uk , but our display off anger is to sit on our cup final tics, hope there is enough people do the same nothing like an empty stadium at this elite game for mls to state our anger .

boban
10-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Oh boy, did he really said that?
The man is an absolute idiot!!!!!
It's online so listen....

http://www.fan590.com/media/media.jsp?content=20101013_193940_4836

ochos
10-13-2010, 08:39 PM

To respond to the sentiment behind posts related to this nature:

As someone who's grown up around picketing and protests, I have to ask - what on earth are you talking about?!? A million and one protests? I've been in 112 for almost every game we've ever had, and I've only seen two protests (and only one which was organized to the point of going out of our element to be heard).

The fact that this group has remained a polarizing and leading organization within the TFC fan base speaks volumes as to how things progress in sports politics. I could go on and on with examples as to how we've heavily influenced the direction of this club (and granted to poor effect), but to give up your democratic obligation and criticize with an organized response at the most critical junction within our short history shows me a lack of courage and rigour that's necessary.

You can damn well bet that by renewing my tickets - as hard a decision as it was not to - that I'll be doing everything else I can to ensure MLSE does not continue to abuse the fans with reckless regard. If you think our anger is not changing corporate decisions, your sourly mistaken.

This reply is not to create rifts within this board. But to sink into a shadow when we've been far and away the most powerful cog in this franchise's wheel since day one, I will not.

Roogsy
10-13-2010, 08:53 PM
I have to echo Ocho's post Alex. I've read in several spots here and elsewhere that there have been "many protests" but nobody has been able to point me to a time and place other than the sole protest that I was a part of at Gate 4 after the Vancouver debacle last year.

You have been one of the most vocal non-RPB on this board about the need to "do something" to pressure TFC to do things they should be doing for supporters. Scalpers, roof etc. And now that there is an action, you think it's pointless? I don't get it.

If you want something you have to fight for it. Nobody gives anyone anything without an effort. TFC will never listen to your wishes and demands if when the time is right, you back off and don't feel like it. At the very least, future complaints from you about getting the team to listen to our demands will seem hollow and pointless. As someone who has repeatedly told us how things are "done" in Europe, when we finally look to pressure the team in the old country ways, you back away? It's very confusing. Just my thoughts.

Super
10-13-2010, 09:48 PM
You can damn well bet that by renewing my tickets - as hard a decision as it was not to - that I'll be doing everything else I can to ensure MLSE does not continue to abuse the fans with reckless regard. If you think our anger is not changing corporate decisions, your sourly mistaken.

I know of MANY protests by supporters, at the stadium, outside, on the boards, in the media, etc., and not a single of them provoked a response from TFC FO or MLSE. Not a single one. That's my point. We can protest all we want, but at the end of the day the only thing that MLSE/TFC FO will listen to is lost revenue. That's happening now on a scale large enough that Tom Anselmi & Co. is finally listening.

That's my overall point. Not that protesting in general is a waste of time. But please go ahead with this protest - just don't expect MLSE to care. They're busy worrying about the expensive seats not getting renewed.

Beach_Red
10-13-2010, 09:55 PM
I know of MANY protests by supporters, at the stadium, outside, on the boards, in the media, etc., and not a single of them provoked a response from TFC FO or MLSE. Not a single one. That's my point. We can protest all we want, but at the end of the day the only thing that MLSE/TFC FO will listen to is lost revenue. That's happening now on a scale large enough that Tom Anselmi & Co. is finally listening.

That's my overall point. Not that protesting in general is a waste of time. But please go ahead with this protest - just don't expect MLSE to care. They're busy worrying about the expensive seats not getting renewed.

As they should be worrying. But remember they used the atmosphere created by supporter sections to market the team, to sell those expensive seats. In fact, they've had pretty much no other marketing. So a protest is worthwhile, it will get noticed.

Super
10-13-2010, 10:19 PM
I have to echo Ocho's post Alex. I've read in several spots here and elsewhere that there have been "many protests" but nobody has been able to point me to a time and place other than the sole protest that I was a part of at Gate 4 after the Vancouver debacle last year.

I don't have a list of all protests made at BMO or elsewhere, but I've certainly seen protests at BMO similar to that of the "wear green" protest. I've seen banners (last game we saw dollar signs from the North End Elite), and in the past there have been great campaigns to get rid of Mo. Many protests, really. Also against the CSA. None of this ever provoked a response from MLSE, nor did it accomplish anything. I was all for them back then, but I'm just sort of ... well... done. You know? My next protest is going to be not renewing my ticket. Apparently that's the only thing they listen to at the FO. I'll give them a last chance - not that they deserve it.

It's not that I'm against protesting. It's just that I don't want to protest and get nothing out of it. That's my point. In fact, I think you'd have better luck with protests anywhere else in the league but here.

You have been one of the most vocal non-RPB on this board about the need to "do something" to pressure TFC to do things they should be doing for supporters. Scalpers, roof etc. And now that there is an action, you think it's pointless? I don't get it.

I would love to partake in a protest if I believed it would accomplish something. Wearing green? Sorry, I don't think this will get us a roof or change the way MLSE runs TFC. I've seen enough banners and "wear black at Canada games" protests to know that it accomplishes nothing. Money talks and bullshit walks. Regretably.

If you want something you have to fight for it. Nobody gives anyone anything without an effort. TFC will never listen to your wishes and demands if when the time is right, you back off and don't feel like it. At the very least, future complaints from you about getting the team to listen to our demands will seem hollow and pointless. As someone who has repeatedly told us how things are "done" in Europe, when we finally look to pressure the team in the old country ways, you back away? It's very confusing. Just my thoughts.

The problem we face here is that TFC is not run by football people, so traditional football-type protests aren't respected the same way they would be in Europe. Our protests quite frankly fall on deaf ears. We know that now. It's all very disappointing for all of us. Tom Anselmi proved in his Fan590 interview today how faaaaaar he is from understanding us. How do you think he'll read the green shirts? Any different than the dollar banners? He'll just say that he already addressed the issue by removing the CCL tickets. And that'll be the end of that.

I'm done protesting. I'm done talking with TFC FO. I'm just DONE. All I have left is my ticket. That's it. And that's hanging by a thread.

I think that we, supporters united, should collectively tell TFC FO that enough is enough, and unless they give in to our demands we'll break off talks and end the dialogue once and for all. This is just wishful thinking from a TFC fan of course. But I really think this is the only way to go right now. They've ignored us long enough and made HORRIBLE fools of us in the league. Wearing green isn't enough for me, so then why bother. They'll just ignore it anyway. Trust me: they will ignore it! It won't get us a roof. It won't get rid of scalpers in 112. It won't get us a proper DP. It won't lower season tickets or the price of jerseys. So sure, go ahead and protest, but also understand why some of us don't want to take part in a protest that won't work. And I'm sorry, I don't think it will work - even if the ENTIRE south end wore green it wouldn't work. Because wearing green is stating an obvioius: that MLSE is greedy. Everybody knows that.

It's time to say enough is enough, break off talks, and put an end to TFC FO using us as a tool in their marketing strategy to sell their shit product. Let the media know that SG's don't deal with these people. Now THAT is tough talk - but maybe, just maybe it'll get TFC moving. They haven't so far - at least when it comes to what supporters want. It's year 4 and we're still without a roof. We're still dealing with security issues. We still have no control over the south end. Etc., etc.. The scalper problem might be a thing of the past now though, since nobody wants to go to the games.. At least that's one problem TFC FO solved for us by fucking up the product.

Super
10-13-2010, 10:21 PM
As they should be worrying. But remember they used the atmosphere created by supporter sections to market the team, to sell those expensive seats. In fact, they've had pretty much no other marketing. So a protest is worthwhile, it will get noticed.

I'm not saying DON'T protest. I'm explaining why I'm not taking part in it.

Wait and see on Saturday how many 112'ers won't be wearing green. I'm not alone in my opinion here.

king dave
10-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Anselmi can fuck the fuck off!
I have CSL playoffs to watch.
KD.

Roogsy
10-13-2010, 11:22 PM
I don't have a list of all protests made at BMO or elsewhere, but I've certainly seen protests at BMO similar to that of the "wear green" protest. I've seen banners (last game we saw dollar signs from the North End Elite), and in the past there have been great campaigns to get rid of Mo. Many protests, really. Also against the CSA.

Ok you can't count the CSA protest. And the wearing black was the same day as the Gate 4 protest was it not? So that's one. Now has NEE had several protests? Yes...but from a RPB point of view, we have only had one. And between NEEs protests and RPBs single protest, I don't know how many you have actually been a part of but if it is more than one, I would be surprised. So how can you be tired of them? Are you tired of seeing them?

It's not that I'm against protesting. It's just that I don't want to protest and get nothing out of it. That's my point. In fact, I think you'd have better luck with protests anywhere else in the league but here.The point of standing up for what you feel and what you believe in isn't to do it only when there is a guarantee that you will get your way. Sometimes, it is simply to send the message and if that occurs, then you have accomplished something. If you are telling me you will only protest when you can be assured that the result will be that what you demand will come to fruition, then you will never protest....anything...anywhere. And that's fine. But then a more realistic position to have is that you simply don't agree with protests altogether.

I would love to partake in a protest if I believed it would accomplish something. Wearing green? Sorry, I don't think this will get us a roof or change the way MLSE runs TFC. I've seen enough banners and "wear black at Canada games" protests to know that it accomplishes nothing. Money talks and bullshit walks. Regretably.

The problem we face here is that TFC is not run by football people, so traditional football-type protests aren't respected the same way they would be in Europe. Our protests quite frankly fall on deaf ears. We know that now. It's all very disappointing for all of us. Tom Anselmi proved in his Fan590 interview today how faaaaaar he is from understanding us. How do you think he'll read the green shirts? Any different than the dollar banners? He'll just say that he already addressed the issue by removing the CCL tickets. And that'll be the end of that.

I'm done protesting. I'm done talking with TFC FO. I'm just DONE. All I have left is my ticket. That's it. And that's hanging by a thread.

I think that we, supporters united, should collectively tell TFC FO that enough is enough, and unless they give in to our demands we'll break off talks and end the dialogue once and for all. This is just wishful thinking from a TFC fan of course. But I really think this is the only way to go right now. They've ignored us long enough and made HORRIBLE fools of us in the league. Wearing green isn't enough for me, so then why bother. They'll just ignore it anyway. Trust me: they will ignore it! It won't get us a roof. It won't get rid of scalpers in 112. It won't get us a proper DP. It won't lower season tickets or the price of jerseys. So sure, go ahead and protest, but also understand why some of us don't want to take part in a protest that won't work. And I'm sorry, I don't think it will work - even if the ENTIRE south end wore green it wouldn't work. Because wearing green is stating an obvioius: that MLSE is greedy. Everybody knows that.

It's time to say enough is enough, break off talks, and put an end to TFC FO using us as a tool in their marketing strategy to sell their shit product. Let the media know that SG's don't deal with these people. Now THAT is tough talk - but maybe, just maybe it'll get TFC moving. They haven't so far - at least when it comes to what supporters want. It's year 4 and we're still without a roof. We're still dealing with security issues. We still have no control over the south end. Etc., etc.. The scalper problem might be a thing of the past now though, since nobody wants to go to the games.. At least that's one problem TFC FO solved for us by fucking up the product.And unfortunately we're back to where you and I have always disagreed. You like to tell the SGs what they should do without having to actually do it yourself. I am not saying this to pressure you to wear green or not sing or anything. I believe this is a decision for everyone to make on their own so you should do whatever you think is best. But it has always struck me as odd that your position on our group has always been one where we simply don't do enough and then when we do have an initiative, you aren't on board because it isn't exactly what you wanted or what you believe should be done. To be honest, the group executive knows my position on this and that I believe this initiative was not strong enough a message, but it's the one the group decided to take and I will support it because sending a unified message as supporters that will be heard is better than not sending one at all and doing nothing at all and just sitting back and complaining about everything that is happening to our club without lifting a finger to actually effect change.

Roogsy
10-13-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm not saying DON'T protest. I'm explaining why I'm not taking part in it.

Wait and see on Saturday how many 112'ers won't be wearing green. I'm not alone in my opinion here.

No doubt there will be many in 112 and pretty much everywhere that won't be wearing green. And that is disappointing.

So then my question to them is, with the current state of the team and now the hosing the front office was obviously trying to scam by the supporters, what have you decided to do to help effect change? We are not saying that "wearing green" is the only or the best way to get this done, but at the moment, I am not really seeing anyone else do anything other than NEE. And if that's the case, then this is quite obviously a case of someone stepping up and doing something that is necessary while everyone else stands by with their hands in the pockets and then those very ones who did nothing but play with the lint in their pocket are the loudest when it comes to complaining about TFC and the need for things to "change". But they want change based without actually doing anything themselves to try to get it done. As you so often like to remind us, that's not how they do it in Europe. I can't imagine the Manchester United fans that wear green and gold to the games being told that wearing these colours is useless and they should simply stop trying.

I am under no delusion that there will be 3000 people wearing green in the stands. It will still be mostly red. But when I see someone wearing green, I will know that they are at least trying to do something, that they recognize there is power in numbers. When I see someone holding up a banner, I will respect the effort and passion that went into making it and hoping it gets seen. And when the guys behind me complain about how crap the team is, how MLSE is screwing them and how things need to change, I will ask a simple question:

What are you doing to change things? Because doing nothing is essentially tacit approval of the status quo.

And one day I will hope that when there is one of these initiatives, that there will be a collective unified effort from everyone who considers themselves a supporter so that whatever message is being sent to the FO gets heard loud and clear. Imagine what an entire south stands covered in green would say to the FO? But when you don't have that, then the FO will see that they can play "divide and conquer" all day long and that supporters will never be united enough to tie their own shoelaces let alone to actually influence the club. And if that's the case, we might as well bend over and let the FO do whatever they want.

Or simply cancel our tickets.

Super
10-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Ok you can't count the CSA protest. And the wearing black was the same day as the Gate 4 protest was it not? So that's one. Now has NEE had several protests? Yes...but from a RPB point of view, we have only had one. And between NEEs protests and RPBs single protest, I don't know how many you have actually been a part of but if it is more than one, I would be surprised. So how can you be tired of them? Are you tired of seeing them?

True. I've only taken part in one protest, but that's not really the point. I don't generally enjoy seeing protests at BMO because I feel bad that they ultimately provoke zero response. If I saw protests, and then saw some response from the club, I'd feel a whole lot different about the whole thing. But unfortunately protests = nothing, then, well, they just remind me of yet another reason TFC is in a state of shit right now.

The point of standing up for what you feel and what you believe in isn't to do it only when there is a guarantee that you will get your way. Sometimes, it is simply to send the message and if that occurs, then you have accomplished something. If you are telling me you will only protest when you can be assured that the result will be that what you demand will come to fruition, then you will never protest....anything...anywhere. And that's fine. But then a more realistic position to have is that you simply don't agree with protests altogether.

Not exactly. I believe that one should protest, protest, and then protest some more ... but if that gives you nothing, then you should try something else. That is where we are at in year 4 with TFC.

And unfortunately we're back to where you and I have always disagreed. You like to tell the SGs what they should do without having to actually do it yourself. I am not saying this to pressure you to wear green or not sing or anything. I believe this is a decision for everyone to make on their own so you should do whatever you think is best. But it has always struck me as odd that your position on our group has always been one where we simply don't do enough and then when we do have an initiative, you aren't on board because it isn't exactly what you wanted or what you believe should be done. To be honest, the group executive knows my position on this and that I believe this initiative was not strong enough a message, but it's the one the group decided to take and I will support it because sending a unified message as supporters that will be heard is better than not sending one at all and doing nothing at all and just sitting back and complaining about everything that is happening to our club without lifting a finger to actually effect change.

I don't tell you what to do anymore than you tell non-RPB's what to do. I come on here because I want to be part of a TFC United - and share in ideas on how to improve the TFC experience. This is me, a non-RPB sitting in 112, reaching out to the RPB's - creating dialogue. I agree with a lot of RPB directions, but also disagree with a lot of them. I'm definitely not anti-RPB. Please don't ever make the mistake of thinking that. I'm here to be part of the overall debate of supporting TFC, and I think it's crucial that RPB's mingle and unite with non-RPB's ... or our atmosphere is officially fucked.

Super
10-14-2010, 01:12 AM
what have you decided to do to help effect change?

I can do very little as a single person at BMO. However, one thing I can do, and have done, is try to convince the RPB Prez that it's time to take a much harder stance against the TFC FO. Also, work for a roof. Period. That's the sum total of my work to make this club much better. Other than that I've supported the team through thick and thin, bla bla bla, seen every game, gone on the road, bla ... but really, I think that's about the equivalent of maybe a good sized banner in 106. But anyway, like I said, go ahead and protest all you want. It's not a contest between supporters on who invests and cares the most, I hope. We all follow the same club, don't forget.

DichioTFC
10-14-2010, 01:21 AM
@Super, I dont know dude. I was completely with you about all the talk about protesting being tiresome and annoying. But right now we're in the process of getting something done. Sure, theres a possibility that something might not get done, but while we have the opportunity we might as well take advantage of it.

To me, its like a union at a workplace. Some of us aren't happy with the current conditions and some are willing to just go along with the bullshit, but once there's a movement to strike or a movement to take a stand, its time to everyone to stand in solidarity with our fellow brothers.

I'm just as weary of protests as you are, but these stubborn fuckers have gotten through to the FO. Whatever position the RPB execs take, I'm behind them 100% right now.

Super
10-14-2010, 01:29 AM
I agree that now is a fantastic time to get things done. And that's my point: let's put TFC FO to the wall. Force them to get things done. However, IMHO putting on a green shirt won't accomplish that. It'll take a hell of a lot more than that. By the sound of it though, Boris is getting through to TFC. That's great news!!

DichioTFC
10-14-2010, 01:34 AM
^ Speaking only on behalf of myself, who originally thought these ideas to protest were stupid, I'm in favour of the green protest. It's different, unique (to North American soccer), the point is clear and its a continuation of what we and other SGs have been saying for the past month.

Hopefully we can get a greater concession out of the FO than the bullshit offer they made to us (throwing us a bone that we'll be giving up later). Lets hope the exec and everyone that makes it to the Town Halls will get through to them and, like you said, force them to get things done.

pdelgadinho
10-14-2010, 09:16 AM
The leaders of the supporter's groups should really try to get on tha air with Bob McCown and give the fans side of the story. MLSE needs to learn that if your going to go on the radio spewing lies then you should be held accountable.

It needs to be clarified that Tom Anselmi is apparently NOT listening to fans no matter how much he says he is. The 2 champions league games are only a small part of the reason that fans are so upset. Tickets price increases need to stop and the product on the field needs to get better.

Maybe Bob McClown would be open to having the fans side of things. Anselmi gave his version yesterday and the fans version could air today as a follow up.

dal524
10-14-2010, 09:18 AM
McCowan 'correct me if im wrong, but the season ticket package includes 34 games..."

lol why does he have these interviews when he knows nothing about the team.

dal524
10-14-2010, 09:19 AM
"we have a few fans that dont want MLS CUP"............... A FEW!?!

Roogsy
10-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Well...apparently neither did TA because McCowan asked him several times to confirm the number and TA just bumbled his way into saying "there are more games now".

dal524
10-14-2010, 09:22 AM
the europe hockey/soccer comment is quite possibly the stupidest thing i've ever heard

Roogsy
10-14-2010, 09:25 AM
This my friend is who is heading up the team and who will be hiring our next GM.

:facepalm:

Beach_Red
10-14-2010, 09:31 AM
This my friend is who is heading up the team and who will be hiring our next GM.

:facepalm:

No, this is the man who was heading up the team, he's finally going to hire a consultant to find a proper GM. But everything he has said points to a dysfunctional relationship between MLSE and TFC - they hire a GM with no experience and leave him out there alone, then once in a while they pay attention to the team. It ounds like there was never very good communication. Really, it sounds like a bad marriage people rushed into.

jabbronies
10-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Did I miss something? Didn't the CSA protest work?