PDA

View Full Version : As A Fan, What Team Do You Hate Most?

prizby
10-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Who do you feel is our biggest rival? Which team makes your blood boil? When you watch them play, you will always cheer for the other team? Who is it

I am interested in knowing.

nascarguy
10-11-2010, 12:03 AM
I like DC United 3 years ago i was thinking about getting season tickets. Oh boy that would piss off mlse if we all show up to a dc game when tfc was not playing and sold out place

nascarguy
10-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Who do you feel is our biggest rival? Which team makes your blood boil? When you watch them play, you will always cheer for the other team? Who is it

I am interested in knowing.
for me I hate montreal and columbus the same

T.Reis
10-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Vancouver, cuz I can't stand Lenarduzzi

DichioTFC
10-11-2010, 12:17 AM
I was flipping channels a couple months back and to my surprise there was a Vancouver - Montreal game on RDS.

Its the first time in any sporting match that I wanted both teams to lose.

TFC Bhoy
10-11-2010, 12:51 AM
i think it has to be montreal, i hate all teams from montreal end of story. I know it may not be due to football, but toronto and montreal have a rivalry in general. as opposed to like columbus who we were pretty well forced into a rivalry with by the league due to our close proximity.

I can't wait for the limpact to get into the league so we can kick their asses more! :D

CretanBull
10-11-2010, 03:26 AM
I hate NY ans LA...the league has bent over backwards to make those teams successfull. They're Garber's darlings and the rest of us are just here to be teams for them to play against. For a league that's obessed with not repeating the mistakes of the NASL, they sure do make a lot of the same mistakes....

King Tut
10-11-2010, 04:03 AM
Montreal

werewolf
10-11-2010, 05:50 AM
Rolling with Niagara. When have you ever seen half their players aside from tournaments...true story.

Alixir
10-11-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm the only one who hates LA :(

ArmenJBX
10-11-2010, 08:27 AM
FC Dallas. The fact that this rinkydink organization and fan base has a high quality team is an injustice to the league. Also it employs Jeff cunningham who is easily the one player I truly despise next to Joseph Nane.

On the flip side, every single time I watch San Jose except against us, I cheer for them. I remember loving San Jose before Toronto FC existed.

Voodooman
10-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Has to be either Crew or Impact, but I had to pick the Impact.

Yeoman
10-11-2010, 09:20 AM
I will always have a dark deep spot of hatred towards montreal.
I can not hate the whitecaps for the life of me. though their southsides can shove it right up their ass.
columbus, again shit head fans and a shit head team. but a forced upon on rivalry. i have more despise towards the red bulls.

Roogsy
10-11-2010, 09:20 AM
The Crew. I hate their team. I hate their fans. I hate their city.

I hate their cops. I hate their stadium. I hate their food.

I hate their weather. I hate their hotels. I hate their parking lot.

Beach_Red
10-11-2010, 09:32 AM
I hate NY ans LA...the league has bent over backwards to make those teams successfull. They're Garber's darlings and the rest of us are just here to be teams for them to play against. For a league that's obessed with not repeating the mistakes of the NASL, they sure do make a lot of the same mistakes....

Sure they're Garber's darlings because they're big media markets, but he also found willing owners in those cities.

But yeah, that makes me hate them.

ACSertL
10-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Rolling with Niagara. When have you ever seen half their players aside from tournaments...true story.

:lol:

Oh and apart from comedic reasons, why is TFC an option?

Technorgasm
10-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Nordeke. . . . nuff said.

Toronto Ruffrider
10-11-2010, 10:02 AM
The Crew. I hate their team. I hate their fans. I hate their city.

I hate their cops. I hate their stadium. I hate their food.

I hate their weather. I hate their hotels. I hate their parking lot.

Boom-de-ah-da, boom-de-ah-da
Boom-de-ah-da, boom-de-ah-da
:D

nascarguy
10-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Nordeke. . . . nuff said.
I hate Lil Italy - Sec 111, Row 4 there is this ass hole that wears a liverpool shirt all the time and he does not buy beer for anyone:D:D:drinking:

TFC/Everton
10-11-2010, 10:22 AM
I dont mind not going to heaven, as long as we can go 2-0 against the crew next year.

Technorgasm
10-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Everton

nascarguy
10-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Everton
oh yeah everton I fucking hate them more then the crew or montreal

oh man everton smells like shit .....

prizby
10-11-2010, 10:35 AM
interesting to see votes for TFC lol

JamboAl
10-11-2010, 10:59 AM
^I don't get it. If you are on a TFC related board and frequent it quite often, why would you say you hate TFC. There are all those other choices out there, or you could choose not to hate any team.

DoubleUp
10-11-2010, 11:00 AM
interesting to see votes for TFC lol

I chose Toronto because by Nature I am not a hater. and Only team that displeased me on the list was Toronto, due to poor management and piss poor play. The bottom line is if our club was playing winning football, we wouldnt hate anybody we be the guy thats always smiling :party:

TFCtoMUFC
10-11-2010, 11:26 AM
I picked Toronto because they are the only list on the team that constantly disappoints me and costs me money.

Roogsy
10-11-2010, 11:29 AM
:noidea:

I know it's the bitterness talking...but how do you classify a team that you spend money on a regular basis to be your most "hated" team?

stugautz
10-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Columbus. I don't need a reason, it's Columbus.

jabbronies
10-11-2010, 12:10 PM
for me I hate montreal and columbus the same

I chose to hate on Montreal in this poll for a number of reasons - hate them on the field as a football team, I hate Montreal from of hating the montreal canadiens so it only makes sense to hate this team..english vs french, french fries vs english muffins... etc etc.

The only reason I hate Columbus is because MLS tried to start a fake rivalry with us and them. And columbus is a shit hole...not enough reasons to hate there.

Cashcleaner
10-11-2010, 12:11 PM
I hate NY ans LA...the league has bent over backwards to make those teams successful. They're Garber's darlings and the rest of us are just here to be teams for them to play against. For a league that's obsessed with not repeating the mistakes of the NASL, they sure do make a lot of the same mistakes....

I'm such an idiot. I beelined straight to Montreal and clicked on them as my most hated team, but to be honest, the Galaxy and Red Bulls take the cake because of exactly what you've posted. It doesn't seem like it's so bad now, but I remember LAG getting so much preferential treatment during Beckham's first and second season with the club. That really got under my skin. The Red Bulls seem to be the golden boys now as well, but I don't think things are nearly as bad as they were before with the Galaxy.

prizby
10-11-2010, 12:14 PM
I picked Toronto because they are the only list on the team that constantly disappoints me and costs me money.

I chose Toronto because by Nature I am not a hater. and Only team that displeased me on the list was Toronto, due to poor management and piss poor play. The bottom line is if our club was playing winning football, we wouldnt hate anybody we be the guy thats always smiling :party:

One of the questions I posed was this:

When you watch them play, you will always cheer for the other team?

Roogsy
10-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Meh...preferential treatment is nothing new in any league or sport. MLS (and be default the rest of the league including TFC) needs marquee teams and it needs them to do well. If MLS has a bias that way, so long as the other teams are able to benefit from changes made to accomodate those teams, I am ok with it. Toronto SHOULD have been able to benefit from the DP rules which if we are all honest, was custom-made for LA. And yet we didn't. Mo talked for 3 seasons about bringing in the "right DP" and then proceeded to bring in 2 of the wrong ones. That's on us, not LA. The opportunity was there, we squandered it. I can't blame MLS for that in fact I have to appreciate what they've done to make the league better. By bringing in the Beckhams and the Henrys, it forces Toronto not to be complacent as we have been for 4 seasons.

Cashcleaner
10-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Meh...preferential treatment is nothing new in any league or sport. MLS (and be default the rest of the league including TFC) needs marquee teams and it needs them to do well. If MLS has a bias that way, so long as the other teams are able to benefit from changes made to accomodate those teams, I am ok with it. Toronto SHOULD have been able to benefit from the DP rules which if we are all honest, was custom-made for LA. And yet we didn't. Mo talked for 3 seasons about bringing in the "right DP" and then proceeded to bring in 2 of the wrong ones. That's on us, not LA. The opportunity was there, we squandered it. I can't blame MLS for that in fact I have to appreciate what they've done to make the league better. By bringing in the Beckhams and the Henrys, it forces Toronto not to be complacent as we have been for 4 seasons.

Sadly, all you say is true. Certainly teams all over the world will have more clout than others in their respective leagues or governing bodies.

And yes, we have totally squandered what could have been a great advantage for us. When you put it into words about how Mo promised us the right DP for so many seasons just to sign two that have been so underwhelming, is perhaps one of the more valid criticisms against his performance as GM.

Beach_Red
10-11-2010, 12:59 PM
^ Do you still believe this ownership would have written a big cheque for a DP, unknown to most of the corporate fans they've been courting since day one, until they'd already made the money up front?

Mo was parrotting the company line like any inexperienced manager would have - he got played, and by extension so did we. He was desperate for a job and we were desperate for a team.

But come on, how many times do they have to tell us it's all about supply and demand before we believe them?

Let's just hope the next guy they put in charge they actually put in charge and he's actually someone with a lot of experience who won't be so easy to play.

jaahuuu
10-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Hmm...the Crew is leading 2nd place by 7 votes. Not bad for a fake made-up rivalry.

Technorgasm
10-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Manchester United or anyone with a Neville | Crew | Steelers | Yankees | Senators | Red Bull F1 | USA MNT | PORTUGAL MNT |

. . . . holy crap. . I am a hate filled lil fuck arent i ?

CretanBull
10-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Meh...preferential treatment is nothing new in any league or sport.

True, but I don't have to like it!

Auzzy
10-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Right now Toronto FC. It's a love-hate kinda thing.

Roogsy
10-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Hmm...the Crew is leading 2nd place by 7 votes. Not bad for a fake made-up rivalry.

They weren't real rivals until the locals (including the police) decided to be confrontational with us.

ricciboy
10-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Real Salt lake

Nick Rimando :i hate when announcers say his name nick... RIMANDOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Kyle Beckerman: needs a hair cut ill pay for it if i have too
Javier Morales: he destroyed our hearts in the CCL group stage

and other stuff

ArmenJBX
10-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Maybe MLS told the police to be confrontational in order to spark a real hatred between Toronto and Columbus where before it was superficial! :O

Carts
10-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Columbus for me...

Schelotto is also my most hated player in the league...

Beckerman is a close 2nd...

Carts...

prizby
10-11-2010, 04:30 PM
to those that voted TFC...you realize that by voting for them, your feelings include:

if this is not the case, than why did you vote for them knowing that this was part of the criteria

Carts
10-11-2010, 04:36 PM
to those that voted TFC...you realize that by voting for them, your feelings include:

if this is not the case, than why did you vote for them knowing that this was part of the criteria

They did it to get a reaction out of people...

Carts...

ilikemusic
10-11-2010, 04:42 PM
I answered TFC to be sarcastic. There is no question though, no team causes me as much consternation as Toronto does.

As for a genuine answer as to "which opposing team do I hate most?" It would probably have to be Montreal as we have yet to develop any real MLS rivalries. We have actually had some back and forth with Montreal. We cant say that for a single MLS team.

Getting your face stomped by everybody for four years doesnt develop rivalries. It just makes you an embarrassment.

Were shite; not the Red Bulls. People laugh at us; not the yellow football team. These chants are fun, but they dont mean Toronto FC has developed a rivalry with these teams.

TFC07
10-11-2010, 04:57 PM
I personally hate all American teams, fans and their refs (they're so bias towards us). I rather cheer for Montreal, Vancouver or any other CONCACAF club teams over any of American teams.

CretanBull
10-11-2010, 06:09 PM
I personally hate all American teams, fans..

A little extreme don't you think?

Kevvv
10-11-2010, 06:28 PM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=1743

Wull
10-11-2010, 06:39 PM
on the list, the revs, I hate anything to do with boston. Off the list, livershite. Scum fans, scum managers, scum players, disgrace to the city they share a name with

GuelphStorm2007
10-11-2010, 08:12 PM
I Originnally voted for Columbus just because it is our biggest rival. But someone made a decent remark about L.A. and NYRB and how the league bends the rules a bit to please them so it has to be them now.

ArmenJBX
10-11-2010, 08:26 PM
I personally hate all American teams, fans and their refs (they're so bias towards us). I rather cheer for Montreal, Vancouver or any other CONCACAF club teams over any of American teams.

MLS's sole purpose is to grow soccer in the United States and provide American players a career in soccer locally.

Canada is not and was never on the agenda for MLS until 2006. Even now, It's apparent that growing the sport in Canada is not even a priority for the league, and that the extension to Toronto was a goodwill gesture which ultimately became a door of profit for a league that will happily take our Canadian dollars and supply it equally to 15 other American teams who don't all have it.

TFC07
10-11-2010, 09:23 PM
MLS's sole purpose is to grow soccer in the United States and provide American players a career in soccer locally.

Canada is not and was never on the agenda for MLS until 2006. Even now, It's apparent that growing the sport in Canada is not even a priority for the league, and that the extension to Toronto was a goodwill gesture which ultimately became a door of profit for a league that will happily take our Canadian dollars and supply it equally to 15 other American teams who don't all have it.

This is why in long haul, Canada will form its own league especially if USA teams don't pick up slack and start making money.

This can also be another reason why ticket prices are high for us btw. :rolleyes: This just strengthen my hate for USA teams. Thanks!

Roogsy
10-11-2010, 09:31 PM
This is why in long haul, Canada will form its own league especially if USA teams don't pick up slack and start making money.

If the US league doesn't start making money, why would anyone start a league in Canada? What better prospects for making money are there in Canada than there are in the US?

TFC07
10-11-2010, 09:35 PM
If the US league doesn't start making money, why would anyone start a league in Canada? What better prospects for making money are there in Canada than there are in the US?

Market isn't same. There's less competition here in Canada. Also culturally, soccer is more accepted here than it is in USA. You can also add the fact Canada’s changing demographics. So there's potential for investors to make money in Canada when comes to soccer.

prizby
10-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Market isn't same. There's less competition here in Canada. Also culturally, soccer is more accepted here than it is in USA. You can also add the fact Canada’s changing demographics. So there's potential for investors to make money in Canada when comes to soccer.

if our demographics are changing so much, why do we have a sub-par cricket team or why can't we win medals in table tennis or field hockey...surely with the changing demographics, we are importing people whose national pastimes revolve around these sports

CretanBull
10-11-2010, 11:27 PM

There are more soccer loving Mexican-Americans in the US than people in Canada. Ethnically, America is just as culturally diverse as Canada - especially in the big cities where the money is.

What are the demographics like in Saskatoon? How attractive is Kamloops to investors?

I think that you're under the impression that the rest of Canada is like Toronto, it's not. I also think that when you think of America you'e skipping over NYC, Chicago, LA etc. - massive, culturally diverse cities each with more money in them than any Canadian city.

TFC07
10-12-2010, 12:59 AM
if our demographics are changing so much, why do we have a sub-par cricket team or why can't we win medals in table tennis or field hockey...surely with the changing demographics, we are importing people whose national pastimes revolve around these sports

1. it’s hard to complete against nations that have over 1 billion people that play sports like cricket, table tennis and field hockey regularly.

2. Lack of funds and resources is hurting our development.

There are more soccer loving Mexican-Americans in the US than people in Canada. Ethnically, America is just as culturally diverse as Canada - especially in the big cities where the money is.

What are the demographics like in Saskatoon? How attractive is Kamloops to investors?

I think that you're under the impression that the rest of Canada is like Toronto, it's not. I also think that when you think of America you'e skipping over NYC, Chicago, LA etc. - massive, culturally diverse cities each with more money in them than any Canadian city.

I think you never step outside of Toronto and travel across Canada before. Have you been to cities like Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver? I am sure Kamloops and Saskatoon (which I highly doubt would get soccer clubs to being with) is just attractive of investing in soccer like how Columbus and Kansas City is...

Funny you bring money since US economy in general is broke (especially L.A). Have you been to USA lately? See how many homeless people there are now? But that doesn’t matter since those MLS towns don’t even sell out their soccer games most of the time despite having some big name players.

As for culture and diversity, again it is different. Immigrants in USA aren't same as immigrants in Canada. Our policy when comes to assimilate isn't same either. Canada encourages immigrants to keep their native culture while USA it's exact opposite. That plays a key role here!

As for Mexican Americans, a lot of them got the leisure to go watch soccer in their home land since Mexico is located besides USA (heck, the reason why MLS has a hard time attracting Mexicans in USA to MLS). Canada doesn’t have the same problem as them.

Lastly,

jyR-huKWmqw

Nuff said.

Roogsy
10-12-2010, 01:10 AM
There are only 3 cities in Canada that can support a big-league team. That is Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Saskatoon? Calgary? There is no way those cities can support high-calibre soccer and there is no way a cross-Canada league is financially viable.

One top of the population issues, there are two things necessary for a soccer league to be sustainable. Television revenue and sponsorship. In both areas, Canada is incredibly lacking. Despite the US economic struggles, American companies continue to be the global leaders in sponsorship dollars. And the US networks generate significant revenues for the various sports leagues. The infrastructure for these two things is simply not available in Canada. The Canadian sports channels are barely interested in MLS, they would certainly not be interested in a Canadian-only league. And Canadian companies send their sponsorship dollars down south, at least the big companies do. And those are precisely the ones that would be needed to sponsor in Canada. You will be left with Jim-bob's Fish and Wilderness store to sponsor teams and my guess is that if they are sending their money anywhere, it's to hockey.

I know it's a favourite dream of some soccer lovers around here but the plain fact of the matter is that the economics of sports do not allow for Canada to have their own league in most sports. Pretty much it's just down to hockey (and even then, "our" league has pretty much become an "American" one) and the CFL, which is 100 years old.

It ain't happening, it will never happen and we should all simply accept that and discuss realistic goals for Canadian soccer, starting with what to do with the 3 teams that will be in MLS.

And how we all hate the Crew.

TFC07
10-12-2010, 01:35 AM
There are only 3 cities in Canada that can support a big-league team. That is Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Saskatoon? Calgary? There is no way those cities can support high-calibre soccer and there is no way a cross-Canada league is financially viable.

Based on what?

MLS isn't even financially viable league right now. MLS is turning into NHL pretty much when comes to revenue. They're relying on Canadian teams and few American teams for their revenue. Their TV and sponsorship deals aren’t enough to make money off which is why MLS heavily relies on ticket sales to make their revenue. How’s that any different than Canadian soccer league that doesn’t have huge TV market (compare to USA) that have to rely on ticket sales for revenue? BTW, look at Australian soccer league, they got a smaller population than we do, but yet they got a league and doing well. So I don’t buy this population excuse. Distance excuse I don't buy either. Just look at MLS or USL. They got no trouble with distance they travel despite lack of money. So it shouldn't be an issue with Canadian league either.

The only legitimate argument against Canadian league is infrastructure.

Yohan
10-12-2010, 02:01 AM
Based on what?

MLS isn't even financially viable league right now. MLS is turning into NHL pretty much when comes to revenue. They're relying on Canadian teams and few American teams for their revenue. Their TV and sponsorship deals aren’t enough to make money off which is why MLS heavily relies on ticket sales to make their revenue. How’s that any different than Canadian soccer league that doesn’t have huge TV market (compare to USA) that have to rely on ticket sales for revenue? BTW, look at Australian soccer league, they got a smaller population than we do, but yet they got a league and doing well. So I don’t buy this population excuse. Distance excuse I don't buy either. Just look at MLS or USL. They got no trouble with distance they travel despite lack of money. So it shouldn't be an issue with Canadian league either.

A League doing so well? Other than Melbourne and Sydney, all other teams have trouble getting an average attendance of 10,000. None of their stadiums sell out

CretanBull
10-12-2010, 02:06 AM
I think you never step outside of Toronto and travel across Canada before. Have you been to cities like Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver?

I live in Toronto, but was born and raised in Montreal and I've lived in Ottawa. I spent the better part of a decade working as a roadie for a band and I've been all over Canada and America...unless you happen to be a long-haul truck driver or something like that I can guarantee that I've seen more of this country than you have.

I am sure Kamloops and Saskatoon (which I highly doubt would get soccer clubs to being with) is just attractive of investing in soccer like how Columbus and Kansas City is...

Really? Do you really think that someone would invest a half-Billion dollarsin Kamloops or Saskatoon...or Toronto, or Vancouver or Montreal for that matter - the way they have in Kansas City's Village West? Their new stadium alone is $100 million more than BMO Field was.

Funny you bring money since US economy in general is broke (especially L.A). Have you been to USA lately? See how many homeless people there are now? But that doesn’t matter since those MLS towns don’t even sell out their soccer games most of the time despite having some big name players.

People are investing in the future of the sport, current ticket sales hardly matter. Business doesn't expand to where people are currently willing to pay $20 a game, it expands to where there is corporate sponsorship, to where there's a desireable TV market etc. On that level, a place like Columbus Ohio has every Canadian city other than Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver beat.

As for culture and diversity, again it is different. Immigrants in USA aren't same as immigrants in Canada. Our policy when comes to assimilate isn't same either. Canada encourages immigrants to keep their native culture while USA it's exact opposite. That plays a key role here!

As for Mexican Americans, a lot of them got the leisure to go watch soccer in their home land since Mexico is located besides USA (heck, the reason why MLS has a hard time attracting Mexicans in USA to MLS). Canada doesn’t have the same problem as them.

An immigrant who moves to America doesn't stop liking soccer just because the country is a melting pot. More Ameicans bought tickets to this year's World Cup than any other nationality in the world. When you consider the state of the American ecconomy and how far South Africa is from America vs. Europe that should tell you everything that you need to know about the popularity of the sport in America.

Cashcleaner
10-12-2010, 04:33 AM

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

MLS's sole purpose is to make money for it's owners and investors. PERIOD. MLS will put a club on the fucking moon if they can make money off of it. The wealthy businessmen that are financially backing the league and it's clubs do so because they think they'll turn a profit. The state of the sport in the US is a secondary consideration to them.

And how can you say that growing the sport in Canada is not a priority? By 2012, we'll have three Canadian clubs participating in a league with only nineteen clubs in total and the possibility to have a fourth one if Ottawa can sort itself out by then.

Shakes McQueen
10-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

MLS's sole purpose is to make money for it's owners and investors. PERIOD. MLS will put a club on the fucking moon if they can make money off of it. The wealthy businessmen that are financially backing the league and it's clubs do so because they think they'll turn a profit. The state of the sport in the US is a secondary consideration to them.

And how can you say that growing the sport in Canada is not a priority? By 2012, we'll have three Canadian clubs participating in a league with only nineteen clubs in total and the possibility to have a fourth one if Ottawa can sort itself out by then.

I think you're sort of simultaneously right and wrong on this one, Cash. MLS was started specifically to grow the sport in the United States. In fact, if I remember correctly (and it's entirely possible I haven't), starting MLS was a part of the successful U.S. bid for the 1994 World Cup - clearly to try and show FIFA that they were serious about growing the sport in their country.

Since those initial days though, I certainly agree with your view. MLS has become a professional league like any other North American pro sports league. They exist to make money. MLS would put a francise anywhere in Canada, if they thought it was economically prudent.

- Scott

Fort York Redcoat
10-12-2010, 06:46 AM

Most of CONCANAF (American teams are a part of that) are bias.

I can't say I hate any of the American teams. I don't see a rivalry with them. Montreal's it for me. Maybe Vancouver once they're in the league but we'll see.

Cashcleaner
10-12-2010, 07:16 AM
I think you're sort of simultaneously right and wrong on this one, Cash. MLS was started specifically to grow the sport in the United States. In fact, if I remember correctly (and it's entirely possible I haven't), starting MLS was a part of the successful U.S. bid for the 1994 World Cup - clearly to try and show FIFA that they were serious about growing the sport in their country.

Since those initial days though, I certainly agree with your view. MLS has become a professional league like any other North American pro sports league. They exist to make money. MLS would put a franchise anywhere in Canada, if they thought it was economically prudent.

- Scott

While I agree the initial mandate of the league was to promote and develop the sport, the initial investors in the enterprise would only do so if they thought they would make some money out of it. If there was no possibility of profit, the league wouldn't even make it out of the gates. The promotion of the game in the United States is a byproduct of the business aspect. Look at it this way - if I were a multi-millionaire with money to spare and someone came to me with a business proposal to buy a franchise for a new professional soccer league, they are going to convince me more with talk of dollars and cents rather than with platitudes about "growing the sport". The only way I'd get onboard is if I thought it would churn out a profit within a reasonable amount of time.

For several years the league did struggle and bankruptcy was a very real threat, but luckily for us, many owners have stuck by the organization for any number of reasons and are now starting to make some cash. And you're completely right that MLS was created as a prerequisite for the Yanks to host the World Cup in '94, but that further proves the nature of the business. Some people made off like bandits with that World Cup and I'm sure the US would love to host it again. Just think of the venue operators, promoters, and corporate partners licking their chops at the prospect of it all - though likely not because of any particular love of the sport, but rather the potential revenues to be had.

Fort York Redcoat
10-12-2010, 07:33 AM
And as the only Canadian team in the league many Americans don't realize that you don't need fake rivalries to like your team and love the sport.

scooter
10-12-2010, 07:46 AM
columbus hands down and that diving c--t schillotto

Technorgasm
10-12-2010, 07:52 AM
The Human Centipede

GlenM
10-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Craplumbus plain and simple.

GlenM

prizby
10-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Based on what?

cuz gold coast united and the north queensland fury are really viable teams

__wowza
10-12-2010, 09:48 AM
And you're completely right that MLS was created as a prerequisite for the Yanks to host the World Cup in '94, but that further proves the nature of the business. Some people made off like bandits with that World Cup and I'm sure the US would love to host it again. Just think of the venue operators, promoters, and corporate partners licking their chops at the prospect of it all - though likely not because of any particular love of the sport, but rather the potential revenues to be had.

not to mention the fact that the states had broken, neigh, SHATTERED every attendance record ever set in the world cup (even with the extension of the tournament). a stadium minimum is 30,000 with the world cup game itself played in a stadium of AT LEAST 80,000. let's see some of the staidums they used in 94..

RFK - Capacity: 53,142
Foxboro - Capacity: 53,644
Cotton Bowl - Capacity: 63,998
Rose Bowl - Capacity: 91,794

prizby
10-12-2010, 09:54 AM
I find it worrisome that people 14 (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=747) have voted Toronto FC...are there really that many people active on the board that wish for Toronto FC to lose game in and game out?

tfcleeds
10-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Gotta be Montreal, and even moreso when they join MLS in 2012. Next year, public enemy #1 will be the Shitecaps in the league.

Yohan
10-12-2010, 10:17 AM
I find it worrisome that people 14 (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=747) have voted Toronto FC...are there really that many people active on the board that wish for Toronto FC to lose game in and game out?
must be all those Bill Archer alts prowling the board :p

speaking of which, Columbus, and esp Shitlicker really gets on my nerves

DichioTFC
10-12-2010, 11:34 AM

I think you're grossly overstating the potential for a Canadian MLS. Less competition is true, but that is because of less interest. If second-tier Canadian markets (Halifax, St. John's, Winnipeg, etc.) were as interested as first-tier (Toronto, Van, Mtl), there would be sports in those cities. Simply put, the expense pressures of a professional franchise do not bear cost-effectiveness to small market Canadian cities.

There is a higher percentage of acceptance of soccer in Canada than there is in the US, but if Canada were at 30% and US were even as small as 20% (which is an underestimation), the ceiling potential would be 9M across Canada nationally and 66M across US. I would argue the ceiling for soccer's acceptance in Canada is approach its peak whereas in the US there is still room for growth (there are many untapped NCAA markets that have yet to be developed, where the local citizenry will sport *any* sport that their local college participates in).

Also, who is investing in Canadian soccer other than MLSE, Saputo and whoever owns the Whitecaps / Edmonton team? The Ballsilies and Melnyks are not jumping into soccer because even as soccer reaches 30% acceptance, its still a fringe sport with potentially low profit margins.

A Canadian MLS is literally a pipedream. I would argue that even a Canadian NHL would be as unlikely, and thats the national sport.

DichioTFC
10-12-2010, 11:37 AM

I wouldn't dwell on that too much. Part of it is free speech, part is ironic humour. Those same 14 are still going to support the team come March

trane
10-12-2010, 12:14 PM
:lol:

Oh and apart from comedic reasons, why is TFC an option?

Right now they are the team that I hate the most.

billyfly
10-12-2010, 06:19 PM

Toronto Maple Leaf hate leftover

prizby
10-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Right now they are the team that I hate the most.

so you cheer against them everytime they hit the pitch, you will always cheer for the other team?

the reason i put toronto on here (to answer the guy in the quote) was because I know everyone here on the boards isn't Toronto FC, I am sure there is the odd Crew or Impact fan on the board...I just never thought Red Patch Boy Members, people who are suppose to SUPPORT the team would ever have voted Toronto based on the criteria set forward in the original post

Fort York Redcoat
10-13-2010, 07:07 AM
^Why on earth would you care about other MLS teams supporters on our boards?

With the addition of TFC in the poll it's backfired the thread from a rivalries diversion to another hater thread. There are plenty of other threads to get your hate on lads...

Still maintain that it's Montreal is the only team worth hating right now.

Oldtimer
10-13-2010, 07:35 AM
We need to remember that the real money in MLS is made by Soccer United Marketing. It's that aspect that makes each team worth tens of millions.

Ticket sales, concessions, etc. are nice, but it's SUM that makes every club profitable (many are losing money otherwise).

A CSL franchise just doesn't have the access to SUM's cash, and has to make their money at the gate, or by selling players (Milltown FC's model).

koryo
10-13-2010, 07:39 AM
When I was just a little boy,
I asked my mother "What should I be?"
Should I be Chelsea, should I be Leeds,
here's what she said to me

"Wash your mouth out son,
and go get your father's gun,
and shoot all the Chelsea scum,
shoot the Chelsea scum"

trane
10-13-2010, 09:45 AM
so you cheer against them everytime they hit the pitch, you will always cheer for the other team?

the reason i put toronto on here (to answer the guy in the quote) was because I know everyone here on the boards isn't Toronto FC, I am sure there is the odd Crew or Impact fan on the board...I just never thought Red Patch Boy Members, people who are suppose to SUPPORT the team would ever have voted Toronto based on the criteria set forward in the original post

No when I walk into the stadium I can only cheer for TFC, only because they are my cities team. But right now I am realy fucking angry at the organization, and I would love to have another team in this city to support.

nascarguy
10-14-2010, 08:25 AM
When I was just a little boy,
I asked my mother "What should I be?"
Should I be Chelsea, should I be Leeds,
here's what she said to me

"Wash your mouth out son,
and go get your father's gun,
and shoot all the Chelsea scum,
shoot the Chelsea scum"
lol yeah shoot all the Chelsea scum:flare::hump:

prizby
10-14-2010, 08:38 AM
No when I walk into the stadium I can only cheer for TFC, only because they are my cities team. But right now I am realy fucking angry at the organization, and I would love to have another team in this city to support.

so even though part of the criteria clearly said the team your voting for would be a team that you cheer against game in and game out, you still voted for Toronto FC.

trane
10-14-2010, 02:36 PM
^ Yes, can you belive the outrage, I ingored your criteria. How did I dare?

Section 117
10-14-2010, 03:31 PM
I hate the yellow football team period more than montreal, more than anyone else.

Their city is a large trailer park, their cops are usless and i hate the fucking colour of thier jersies, Schelotto, Padula, and Rogers for telling me to be quiet the last time I was there. I have soo much rage for that place

Sad thing is I will continue to go to the god forsaken hole until we win a game there. I witnessed the worse collapse by TFC there in July of last year. I have unfinshed business there

rocker
10-15-2010, 11:09 AM
I hate Montreal the most... but this hate has a longer history than just the last 4 years. ;) I also still remember Braz cheering and holding the Voyageurs Cup down on our field... I was heckling them as they celebrated. I can't forget that.

Columbus is second to me.

TheKing7
10-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Hate is an emotion which I had to dig straight out of my gut. Fuck the Impact.

prizby
10-15-2010, 11:42 AM
^ Yes, can you belive the outrage, I ingored your criteria. How did I dare?

i have clearly stated in the criteria that the team you vote for is a team you wish to lose, a team you would never cheer for

so clearly by being ignorant to the criteria, you are not a Toronto FC fan, plain and simple

Technorgasm
10-15-2010, 02:20 PM
we are too concerned for self-hate

to have energy to hate anyone else. .

crew visiting.. no one care.s

I am dissapointed in all of you. . .

Section 117
10-15-2010, 02:44 PM
I hate the fucking yellow football team and I am pissed off that I will probably be frowned upon but I want TFC to beat them and I want to mock them until I am blue in the face

trane
10-15-2010, 05:33 PM
i have clearly stated in the criteria that the team you vote for is a team you wish to lose, a team you would never cheer for

so clearly by being ignorant to the criteria, you are not a Toronto FC fan, plain and simple

hahahahha. Sure, whatever you say.

AL-MO
10-15-2010, 06:14 PM
I don't understand why you would include TFC in the poll at all. With their inclusion, you were asking for people to vote for them.

This is a TFC Supporters board after all. (last time I checked :p )

trane
10-15-2010, 06:56 PM
^Exactly.