PDA

View Full Version : It Is Not All Doom And Gloom.

bgnewf
10-06-2010, 04:27 PM
http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/10/could-be-worse/

It is not all doom and gloom for Toronto FC. There are a lot of things to look forward to for the club in 2011.

Here are ten.

Roogsy
10-06-2010, 04:43 PM
I like.

Thanks big guy. It put a positive end to my day.

:thumbsup:

Auzzy
10-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Anything other than Doom and Gloom is heresy! Retract & repent, I say! ;) ;)

Just one thing though, re: 6. No useless friendlies

TFC has only said, no friendly in the SSH package. I bet there will still be a friendly. In fact, they may think next year is a good time to invite another big-ticket team (like RM) for an expensive game. With no friendly in the season ticket package to begin with, people won't be complaining that they got a cheap friendly as part of the package, and need to pay big bucks for an additional expensive friendly.

Not that I agree with that course of action, but I just have a feeling that might be what will come.

Hitcho
10-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Good effort at some positive spin, but really when all we can point to is "Garcia will be gone", then "it's a shite state of affairs to be in, Tommy!"

I'm also not convinced that MLSE will give a shit about Vancouver being better than us. They may talk about it for the sake of appearance, but ultimately they publicly admit that profits are all that matter, so if they are making more profit and finishing behind Vanucks, then they likely won't give a crap.

Having said that it is good news that Mo has finally gone. Hobbes is still dancing about that one. That, more than anything, give us all at least some reason for retaining hope of things getting better.

Don't forget to add Robbo's contract to the list of cap space that will open up. I would never add Robbo to the "rubbish" column, but we're paying him (in part) to play for rubbish until the end of this season. Mista, Garcia and Robbo all going off the books will make a massive amount of room. And even if they make DeRo into a DP that of itself wouldn't change things much, so the new GM/coach should at least have some good cap space to work with.

Flint
10-06-2010, 05:15 PM
That was a good read! Thanks.

TFC_Toon
10-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks bgnewf, I needed that right now!

TFC Cityboy
10-06-2010, 06:31 PM
point 10 is key.
Sense of urgency. For the first time, this season has seen many question if Toronto FC is going to be the long term success that many of us felt it was going to be from the outset. And I think it is fair to say that if no progress takes place on the field in 2011 compared to 2010 then MLSE will have a huge problem on its hands. One can question the competence of MLSE in creating winning sports teams, and that would be a fair criticism based on their record. But they are not as dumb as many make them out to be. They know that this is a make or break year for this club coming up. They get that all the hard work and good things, and yes the investments that have taken place since 2006 can all be pissed away if the club on the pitch does not turn around and turn around fast. They get the urgency. Now it is up to them to make the right decisions to turn things around.

DichioTFC
10-06-2010, 06:35 PM
One of the best articles written recently about TFC and their future outlook.

Although I do see DC United getting back into the playoffs before we do. MLSE's history being under pressure simply does not equate to positive results

Joe Kool
10-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Point number 8 - Many "true" fans can get tickets but many "true" fans are being priced out. Being a true fan has nothing to do with whether you can afford to keep your tickets. The rest of it was a good read though. Cheers.

BakaGaijin
10-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Go Leafs Go!

rocker
10-06-2010, 07:25 PM
With no friendly in the season ticket package to begin with, people won't be complaining that they got a cheap friendly as part of the package, and need to pay big bucks for an additional expensive friendly.

Not that I agree with that course of action, but I just have a feeling that might be what will come.

That's fine. RM wasn't included last time either, although STH's got breaks.
I didn't buy it, since I don't care for friendlies, and I don't regret not buying it.

Although I honestly don't see how they'll fit in a friendly, given that they need to find space for 2 more league games.

ochos
10-06-2010, 08:48 PM
That's fine. RM wasn't included last time either, although STH's got breaks.
I didn't buy it, since I don't care for friendlies, and I don't regret not buying it.

Although I honestly don't see how they'll fit in a friendly, given that they need to find space for 2 more league games.

To contrast - I don't regret one bit paying an arm and a leg to see the best players in the world take on the reds in my home town. Sure it was a stunt. Sure it wasn't for the true fans. Sure they messed about with the ticket that was to be included in our season's..

But when Ronnie leaped over Marvell like a gazelle, scored a beaut and did his cocky arms, evil grin in front of 112 it became worth every penny (and I hate the divin' shite).

Kaka, Benzema, Sneijder, Lass, Alonso, Dudek, Raul, Robben, Gago, Arbeloa... it was pure class to watch them pick us apart.

Sorry to go off on a tangent..

EDIT: I should point out I don't think we should have anymore friendlies

mclaren
10-06-2010, 10:36 PM
I think you're a little unfair on Mista - yes, he is paid a load of money but no, he hasn't been given a proper chance. Coming on here and there as substitute when things are not going well does not give him a fair chance to perform.

mclaren
10-06-2010, 10:38 PM
You also say with regards waiting list: "that many true fans of the club may finally get an opportunity to purchase seasons tickets themselves." What about the true fans that are being turned away, the ones that have been here since DAY ONE. Those folks are more important IMHO as they have invested in the club right from the start. But they are being turned away because of the price hikes. I am one of them.

king dave
10-06-2010, 10:40 PM
THIS TEAM SUCKS AND WILL CONTINUE TO SUCK, AND EVERYONE READING THIS POST FUCKING KNOWS IT. SO KEEP ON WANKING IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER.
KD.

DichioTFC
10-06-2010, 10:56 PM
THIS TEAM SUCKS AND WILL CONTINUE TO SUCK, AND EVERYONE READING THIS POST FUCKING KNOWS IT. SO KEEP ON WANKING IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER.
KD.

wank wank wank
:D

Blizzard
10-06-2010, 11:18 PM
To contrast - I don't regret one bit paying an arm and a leg to see the best players in the world take on the reds in my home town. Sure it was a stunt. Sure it wasn't for the true fans. Sure they messed about with the ticket that was to be included in our season's..

But when Ronnie leaped over Marvell like a gazelle, scored a beaut and did his cocky arms, evil grin in front of 112 it became worth every penny (and I hate the divin' shite).

Same here but the jump he made to flick that ball on was absolutely majestic. The height he achieved was astonishing. He made it look so easy. He then moved up, got the return pass and slotted it home.

Ya it was a bit expensive and ya, our guys didn't need a friendly but heck, without it Gabe Gala would have absolutely no claim to fame. Now, no matter what happens to the kid, that goal cannot be taken away from him.

ensco
10-07-2010, 09:20 AM
I'd add: it's not an empty cupboard. There is a core of players to work with. What's happened to DCU is worse.

maninb
10-07-2010, 09:48 AM
I think you're a little unfair on Mista - yes, he is paid a load of money but no, he hasn't been given a proper chance. Coming on here and there as substitute when things are not going well does not give him a fair chance to perform.

Perhaps but there's no way in hell TFC should be paying Mista DP money next year...If he wants $200K then fine, give him another chance, otherwise he can piss off....

maninb
10-07-2010, 09:50 AM
You also say with regards waiting list: "that many true fans of the club may finally get an opportunity to purchase seasons tickets themselves." What about the true fans that are being turned away, the ones that have been here since DAY ONE. Those folks are more important IMHO as they have invested in the club right from the start. But they are being turned away because of the price hikes. I am one of them.

well said...my mates and I are joining you on the ex-TFC STH list...the 4 of us have been in 108 cheering since Day1...but not any more...

scooter
10-07-2010, 12:01 PM
the optimism is good newf i havn't given up either
but point # 10
feck we told them nothing but playoffs needed to happen this year
i think their is a word for these kind of people something like " spin merchants"
just too bad mlse is in charge of our beloved tfc
maybe red patch should start a retirement savings account and buy the team
can you image sickin johnathon on the team after they shite the bed

trane
10-07-2010, 12:38 PM
There is no reason for optimism untill we know who takes over the team.

I am not trying to be negative, but realistic.

Bars92
10-07-2010, 10:06 PM
KD.

Are we talking TFC or LFC here?

GuelphStorm2007
10-08-2010, 01:32 AM
As a supporter I want the best for TFC like many of you's all. But I will remain pessimistic until a real GM is found. Hopefully if they find someone before Christmas and take advantage of the January transfer window, and actually have a team together by Training camp not have the same nonsense they had this offseason with different trailists coming in and out and starting the season with only 15 players.

H Bomb
10-08-2010, 06:47 AM
I was wondering when complacent pieces like this would be written. People dont like feeling sad/angry, so they pretend that things are okay. Heres some advice, you dont want to feel angry? Think about something that isnt tfc! If you are thinking about tfc pissed off is the only thing that makes sense. Mlse are just sitting and waiting for us to get bored of being angry so we'll all play nice again. Dont do it peoples.

ensco
10-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Hey, it's just a hobby.

In this league, anybody can go from worst to first.

I thought of another one: amazingly, Trader Mo didn't deal next year's first round pick away.

menefreghista
10-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Mlse are just sitting and waiting for us to get bored of being angry so we'll all play nice again. Dont do it peoples.

I really do think its no coincidence that Paul Bierne is off gallivanting the world looking at training facilities while the countdown to season ticket renewals approaches.

bgnewf
10-08-2010, 08:38 AM
I really do think its no coincidence that Paul Bierne is off gallivanting the world looking at training facilities while the countdown to season ticket renewals approaches.

Well it certainly makes him somewhat harder to get a hold of by the media that's for sure.

Roogsy
10-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Making it seem more likely that they knew the whole time their pricing announcement was not going to be well received so they decided to make sure there was minimal access to those directly responsible.

Beach_Red
10-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Hey, it's just a hobby.

In this league, anybody can go from worst to first.

I thought of another one: amazingly, Trader Mo didn't deal next year's first round pick away.

Actually, that's one of the things that makes it even worse, knowing it's been possible for four years ;).

ManUtd4ever
10-08-2010, 09:24 AM
I agree that there is potential cause for optimism pending the most crucial hiring in the history of the franchise. If a competent GM is brought into the fold, the core of the squad is maintained, and the supporting cast is upgraded, TFC should have a playoff calibre squad next season...