PDA

View Full Version : Earl Cochrane On Cbc Sports Soccer Plus This Friday

johnmolinaro
10-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Toronto FC's interm GM will be a guest on this week's show.

I'll post full details tomorrow (Weds.) about his scheduled appearance.

In the meantime you can submit questions in advance for Earl to Soccer@cbc.ca.

Cheers,

John F. Molinaro
CBCSports.ca
http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

H Bomb
10-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Dear Earl, why?

DichioTFC
10-05-2010, 05:43 PM
^
:lol:

johnmolinaro
10-05-2010, 05:47 PM
In the four years I'ved covered Toronto FC, I don't think I have come across a classier individual (aside from Robo, maybe) at the team than Earl.

He is a thoughful and intelligent person, so I highly encourage you to submit your questions for him and watch the show on Friday.

John

Snowy
10-05-2010, 05:51 PM
What does Earl and management plan to do to regain the trust of the supporters?

DichioTFC
10-05-2010, 05:59 PM
The only thing I really want him to comment on is the leadership vacuum on the pitch and in the locker room, and what plans TFC management have to bring leadership-type players to the team next season (i.e. is it in their plans or not).

ArmenJBX
10-05-2010, 06:02 PM
I asked whether the priority for rebuilding this squad lies greater in:
a) Buying/trading with other MLS teams
b) Building on the base we have and adding a DP
c) Developing academy and draft players.

Sullivan
10-05-2010, 06:43 PM
The only thing I really want him to comment on is the leadership vacuum on the pitch and in the locker room....

Nothing changes in the dressing until DeRosario leaves.

Chevy
10-05-2010, 06:45 PM
How will the next four years of this club be different than the first four years?

TFCRegina
10-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Put in a question.

mclaren
10-05-2010, 08:09 PM
In the four years I'ved covered Toronto FC, I don't think I have come across a classier individual (aside from Robo, maybe) at the team than Earl.

He is a thoughful and intelligent person, so I highly encourage you to submit your questions for him and watch the show on Friday.

John

What, not even Mo Johnston? I don't believe it!

johnmolinaro
10-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Full details on Earl's appearance on Soccer Plus+

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/10/06/sp-soccer-plus.html

Start emailing your questions in, or submit them in the chat forum once the show begins!

We'll try to get to as many of them as we can.

And if you can't watch the show live, I post the on-demand file here when it's available.

John
http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

DangerRed
10-06-2010, 08:17 AM
There's a livechat with Earl today at 2 pm on TFC's web site. I plan to ask a few questions.

BakaGaijin
10-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Toronto FC's interm GM will be a guest on this week's show.

Hey John, I am surprised Earl is on the show....was the pizza guy in section 220 unavailable?

I guess you could talk to Earl a little about the academy.......anything else is irrelevant though.

johnmolinaro
10-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Hey John, I am surprised Earl is on the show....was the pizza guy in section 220 unavailable?

I guess you could talk to Earl a little about the academy.......anything else is irrelevant though.

He's the interim GM and a candidate to take over the job full time. You don't think he makes a worthy guest?

John

jloome
10-06-2010, 11:15 AM
He's a former PR flak who, while smart and erudite by all accounts, doesn't even have close to the requisite experience or knowledge for the job he's holding in the interim.

We're all nervous MLSE will go the cheap route and make it a full-time appointment. He's not the man for the job, period. He's a former CSA press guy, a former DC united press guy. If you pick Earl, you might as well pick James Sharman, or me, Or Beaches.

Writers and journalists are still just armchair quarterbacks, and even with running the academy for a few years, he's not in a position to work quickly on the world football stage.

Thus the reaction.

Suds
10-06-2010, 11:20 AM
^^
I think that's a fair question to pose to Earl Cochrane then. Is he interested in the job full-time? If so, why does he feel he is qualified to do it?

BakaGaijin
10-06-2010, 11:21 AM
He's the interim GM and a candidate to take over the job full time. You don't think he makes a worthy guest?

John

Sorry John, the answer is a resounding "no".

I do appreciate most of your work, and as your employer (the Canadian tax payer) I will allow you to keep your job. :)

However, this is weak. Being a 'PR' guy........it's no wonder that MLSE is sending him out to make the rounds......

He is a lame duck. If you could ask him one appropriate question it would be this:

Earl, can you please 'quack' for our listeners? Let's hear what a proper lame duck sounds like.

menefreghista
10-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Earl Cochrane will most likely go back to his old position when the new GM is found. He was the Team Manager. Essentially doing all the boring work that nobody cares about in running a team. You know, make sure the details work.

But that doesn't qualify him to be a GM. He was given the interim-GM job because he doesn't have to make any roster decisions. He just has to make sure the club is running alright in the interim.

johnmolinaro
10-06-2010, 11:31 AM
You're all more than welcome to raise these points and ask Earl these questions during the show..

Like I said, we'll try to get to as many of them as possible.

John

mastermixer
10-06-2010, 11:36 AM
This board has turned into a snake pit lately lol. Stick your hand in and you will get bit. :hide:

CretanBull
10-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Wow...I can't believe that we - as soccer fans - have gone from crying about our sport being ignored by the media to bitching about the quality of the guests on a soccer themed CBC show in such a short period of time.

TOBOR !
10-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Hey John - while I appreciate the good work I honestly can't articulate a coherent, intelligent question for Earl. I wouldn't go quite so far as some on here, but frankly I'm drained. I just can't be arsed.

I think I'll just sit around and wait for next year.

BakaGaijin
10-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Wow...I can't believe that we - as soccer fans - have gone from crying about our sport being ignored by the media to bitching about the quality of the guests on a soccer themed CBC show in such a short period of time.

Good point. But this is just MLSE PR crap.......not real soccer programming.

Canada v.s. Ukraine. Let's hear from some guest's in regards to that game.

Roogsy
10-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Man things are vicious around here if John can't even tell us that he is having a senior member of TFC's staff on the show. If people don't think he qualifies for the GM position, then pose questions. I am quite certain he was never intended to hold the position long-term other than to save the spot for the next GM. Otherwise, even if he is the "PR" guy, who else to answer our questions? Would we rather not hear from TFC at all? :noidea:

CretanBull
10-06-2010, 12:07 PM
John - I'd like to know how Earl would go about rebuilding the team if he were given the full time GM job and if he'd be open to bringing in other front office staff - as equals - to help him.

I'd also like to know what his thoughts are on the two academy signings and if there's anyone else in the system who might be ready to step up next season.

In either case, whats the long term plan to make TFC and the academy successfull?

Dave67
10-06-2010, 12:10 PM
^ I'm just getting numb from the interview / response process. I suspect we will get the types of answers we typically get. So it's hard to get excited until a current TFC management member breaks the mold and says something controversial. Anyway, here is my prediction of the interview.

Q. What is the plan for hiring a new GM / are you a candidate?

A. Well until I am replaced I will consider myself a candidate (soft chuckle). No really, we are committed to bringing in someone with a high soccer IQ. Someone who understands the position and can build this team into a winner.

Q. Will Toronto buy the option for a 3rd DP spot next year / will they use a 3rd DP spot next year / will the 2 current DPs remain on the squad.

A. We are committed to bringing in the best players possible to make this team a winner. If the right DP is available we will sign them. JDG & Mista are highly regarded members of Toronto FC.

Q. How are the season ticket renewals going?

A. Well at first there seemed to be some confusion. We are very happy with our season ticket renewals at this time. 2011 will be an exciting year for Toronto FC.

etc...

johnmolinaro
10-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Man things are vicious around here if John can't even tell us that he is having a senior member of TFC's staff on the show. If people don't think he qualifies for the GM position, then pose questions. I am quite certain he was never intended to hold the position long-term other than to save the spot for the next GM. Otherwise, even if he is the "PR" guy, who else to answer our questions? Would we rather not hear from TFC at all? :noidea:

Thank you!!

H Bomb
10-06-2010, 12:12 PM
alright then.

Since becoming GM Earl has signed Lyndsay (sp?) from the academy. Also Henry has come out of the academy this year. Considering the chances are very high a completely new team will be in charge of personnel next year, isn't it a bit early to promote these kids consering they have no guarentees for the coming season, and signing pro contracts denies them the opportunity of scholarship educations?

real questions are boring, i got sleepy writing that....rabble rabble rabble.

ensco
10-06-2010, 12:29 PM
We're all nervous MLSE will go the cheap route and make it a full-time appointment.

This is a real fear.

Keep the interim guys, plus wrap yourself in the flag with Daso (a la Triano), maybe upgrade Danny's role a bit so you have something to feed the supporters.

It's not just that it's the "cheap route", it's also the "I-have-no-idea-how-I-would-find-the-right-hire-for-this-job-given-my-background-so-I-may-as-well-do-nothing" route.

Suds
10-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Wow, tough crowd.

v00d00daddy
10-06-2010, 12:49 PM
This is a real fear.

Keep the interim guys, plus wrap yourself in the flag with Daso (a la Triano), maybe upgrade Danny's role a bit so you have something to feed the supporters.

It's not just that it's the "cheap route", it's also the "I-have-no-idea-how-I-would-find-the-right-hire-for-this-job-given-my-background-so-I-may-as-well-do-nothing" route.

Oh they're going on the cheap but it won't be earl.

Please ask when Jimmy B will be announced as the new GM.

DichioTFC
10-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Meh, I submitted a question. Hope it gets read.

Dave67
10-06-2010, 02:33 PM
John - I read through the Q&A on the TFC site. The one thing I would like to understand better after the CBC has Earl on the show is the answer below from Earl.

"we will be a very different looking team - young, organized, committed and quick - entertaining to watch"

If it's October 2010 and the 'bosses' are searching and deciding on a structure how can anyone at TFC say this? It sounds like spin, but I'm already jaded so maybe I am missing a point here.

Earl's full quote below

"Things have been hectic as we prepare for the off-season and 2011. My bosses are searching and deciding what our technical staff/structure will look like for 2011 and beyond but I am pressing forward...to the dissatified fans, I will say that in 2011 we will be a very different looking team - young, organized, committed and quick - entertaining to watch "

jloome
10-06-2010, 04:57 PM
John - I read through the Q&A on the TFC site. The one thing I would like to understand better after the CBC has Earl on the show is the answer below from Earl.

"we will be a very different looking team - young, organized, committed and quick - entertaining to watch"

If it's October 2010 and the 'bosses' are searching and deciding on a structure how can anyone at TFC say this? It sounds like spin, but I'm already jaded so maybe I am missing a point here.

Earl's full quote below

"Things have been hectic as we prepare for the off-season and 2011. My bosses are searching and deciding what our technical staff/structure will look like for 2011 and beyond but I am pressing forward...to the dissatified fans, I will say that in 2011 we will be a very different looking team - young, organized, committed and quick - entertaining to watch "

Now I'm certain I don't want him as a GM. Anyone who spins out the line to fans that slickly and that quickly is hunting to fill the job full-time, and he's not qualified.

Eek, this does not bode well.

johnmolinaro
10-08-2010, 06:02 PM
On-demand file:
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/MLS_Soccer_on_CBC/CBC_Sports_Soccer_Plus/ID=1610723676

TFCRegina
10-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Now I'm certain I don't want him as a GM. Anyone who spins out the line to fans that slickly and that quickly is hunting to fill the job full-time, and he's not qualified.

Eek, this does not bode well.

He also seemed really nervous the whole interview, so take that into consideration. It's not easy to give interviews.

TFCRegina
10-08-2010, 08:34 PM
First time I watched that show. Not bad, not bad at all.