PDA

View Full Version : Why is Dichio more loved than DeRo?

colman1860
10-03-2010, 02:46 AM
I was just having a long discussion a friend of mine about this question. I'd say it's hard to deny that Dichio was always more loved than DeRo is now and probably will ever be. What do you guys think the reasons are for this?

Flipityflu
10-03-2010, 03:10 AM
you always remember your first love best.

Keystone FC
10-03-2010, 03:15 AM
I don't know...maybe scoring our 1st goal as a franchise in league play...which lead to our 1st win. Maybe the tenacious way he played. He would actually show emotion on the field and not wait for a press conference. He bit a Fire player (that's why I love him).

TFCRegina
10-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Dichio is seen as a 'more' Canadian player based on how we judge hockey players. De Ro produces more and adds more to the club but we view Dichio as someone who is more inline with the values which we live by.

kodiakTFC
10-03-2010, 04:09 AM
I think its because Dichio shared the passion of the club. I remember when he scored in the south end he would run to the corner flag grabbing at his crest. He lived TFC and it was no surprise he wanted to stay on with the club after playing.

woolly
10-03-2010, 05:14 AM
Dichio had limited skill but massive heart. DeRo has massive skill but sometimes you wonder about where his spirit is.

Sure he is out there to compete every game, but unless he shows a little more team spirit and a little less "The DeRo Show" I can't see him being put on the wall of honour.

MFG1
10-03-2010, 06:39 AM
dero is like kanye west, dichio is more like billy bragg

Chevy
10-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Effort and results without the drama and ego.

Fushida
10-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Dichio never thought he was bigger than the team. Never acted like a prima donna. Can't say the same for the other guy.

ensco
10-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Dichio wasn't just "all-heart" - he had a ton of skill.

He still has had more beautiful plays leading to goals, or beautiful goals, than DeRo has had.

bgnewf
10-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Dichio an Robinson both were arguably the two most "professional" players this club has ever had.

They were leaders on and off the pitch, they never complained in public, they mentored younger players and they are the type of player this club has been without all season... and look how that worked out.

anto7
10-03-2010, 08:28 AM
I think a similar comparison would be Rooney and Ronaldo when they played together at United. No doubt Ronaldo is blessed with incredible talent but you always got the feeling he was all about himself over the team. Rooney, still with incredible talent but 100% all about the team before himself. You never got the impression that Danny was looking for the glory for himself, it was always about the team, Dero not so much(although he always gives 100% effort).

MG42
10-03-2010, 08:54 AM

He still has had more beautiful plays leading to goals, or beautiful goals, than DeRo has had.

true

MG42
10-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Dichio an Robinson both were arguably the two most "professional" players this club has ever had.

They were leaders on and off the pitch, they never complained in public, they mentored younger players and they are the type of player this club has been without all season... and look how that worked out.

also very true

BASE
10-03-2010, 09:37 AM
The TFC attack with Dichio had purpose. Dichio played most of the game with his back to the opposing goal with his primary role to bring down balls for his strike partners which he did well. While some may not appreciate this type of football, it worked to some extent in year one.

The last few years our attack has looked piecemeal at best....or moreover whatever DeRo or Guevara could muster up/improvise.

jimiv
10-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Dichio played for TFC, DeRo plays for DeRo.

:scarf:

werewolf
10-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Dichio also played at a time when the TFC experiance was still all smiles und sunshine.

Carts
10-03-2010, 10:00 AM

Well that's 100% false...

Moving on...

Dichio was loved for a few reasons. One of them (unfortunately) is that there were zero expectations... In Season-1, Dichio scored with the final kick of the season to earn a 2-2 draw, and a last place spot in the standings - but I cheered like it was a 94th minute MLS Cup winning goal...

If DeRo scores a goal this season, in the exact same circumstance, people will be pissed - because the expectations are much higher...

Dichio also has that "Toronto Grit" that Toronto fans love to adore. Darcy Tucker, decent NHL player who had a great career (not taking anything away from him) but he was loved much more than Sundin, Joseph, Kaberle etc - players who were much more important to the team...

We're seeing that same 'Tucker love' with Gargan. And I must admit, I love Gargan on the roster too - but he's not our top player or most important...

Carts...

koryo
10-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Dichio had and still has a very good football brain. On top of that, he's hard as fuck. He put the team before himself.

Dero, although skilled, could never play at the level Dichio played in his prime. I don't think his ego leaves much room for a decent footballing brain.

Dero is Scarborough. Dichio is downtown.

carefree_cfc
10-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Dichio DJ's and Dero Doesn't.

FluSH
10-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Dichio = Heart & Soul of Toronto FC

DeRo = Dwayne De Rosario 1st... Team 2nd

Roogsy
10-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Well that's 100% false...

Moving on...

Dichio was loved for a few reasons. One of them (unfortunately) is that there were zero expectations... In Season-1, Dichio scored with the final kick of the season to earn a 2-2 draw, and a last place spot in the standings - but I cheered like it was a 94th minute MLS Cup winning goal...

If DeRo scores a goal this season, in the exact same circumstance, people will be pissed - because the expectations are much higher...

Dichio also has that "Toronto Grit" that Toronto fans love to adore. Darcy Tucker, decent NHL player who had a great career (not taking anything away from him) but he was loved much more than Sundin, Joseph, Kaberle etc - players who were much more important to the team...

We're seeing that same 'Tucker love' with Gargan. And I must admit, I love Gargan on the roster too - but he's not our top player or most important...

Carts...

QFFT...

I love Danny...always will. But the love we have for him is irrational. He came here on the downside of his career, gave love to this city and we fell in love with him like a highschool girl loves a highschool quarterback. It's puppy love.

So what do we do? Fall in love wtih Gargan. Toronto fans are weird that way.

DeRo doesn't have the same appeal as Danny much like Sundin never had the same appeal as Clark. Which was more talented? Which had better numbers. And you will find either side will argue about which had more "heart". But in the end, both deserved to be loved but only one really was. It's too bad.

For me? I am thankful we have our own "Sundin". And much like Sundin, he can't do it on his own considering the talent he has around him. Much like Sundin was blamed for "never getting us any success" so is DeRo. The plain fact is we put too much expectations on these players to carry teams on their backs when nobody can really be expected to do that with an undertalented team. All great teams have had great supporting players to their superstars. Magic had Kareem and company. Jordan had Pippen and company. I don't understand why we expect DeRo to get us into the playoffs when the team built by Preki couldn't score in a whorehouse with a fistful of $20s.

ensco
10-03-2010, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't try to sell that Dero=Sundin comparison too hard.

In 2002, Sundin took less money than he could have made on the open market to stay in Toronto.

When Sundin scored, he always went straight to the guy who fed him the puck. Always. He never, ever showed up a teammate or complained to the media, and he had a ton of reasons to do both.

Roogsy
10-03-2010, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't try to sell that Dero=Sundin comparison too hard.

Sundin took less money than he could have made on the open market to stay in Toronto.

When Sundin scored, he always went straight to the guy who fed him the puck. Always. He never, ever showed up a teammate or complained to the media, and he had a ton of reasons to do both.

No comparison is ever exact Ensco, come on. Every comparison can always be broken down into details and shown why they aren't "exact".

The point is both players love Toronto, both players are talented, both players played on undertalented teams and both players were expected to carry their teams to unreasonable success without the proper tools.

Sundin is white, DeRo is brown. Sundin isn't Canadian, DeRo is. Sundin never won a championship, DeRo has. The differences are extensive. It doesn't make the similarities any less important.

TFCRegina
10-03-2010, 11:42 AM
QFFT...

I love Danny...always will. But the love we have for him is irrational. He came here on the downside of his career, gave love to this city and we fell in love with him like a highschool girl loves a highschool quarterback. It's puppy love.

So what do we do? Fall in love wtih Gargan. Toronto fans are weird that way.

DeRo doesn't have the same appeal as Danny much like Sundin never had the same appeal as Clark. Which was more talented? Which had better numbers. And you will find either side will argue about which had more "heart". But in the end, both deserved to be loved but only one really was. It's too bad.

For me? I am thankful we have our own "Sundin". And much like Sundin, he can't do it on his own considering the talent he has around him. Much like Sundin was blamed for "never getting us any success" so is DeRo. The plain fact is we put too much expectations on these players to carry teams on their backs when nobody can really be expected to do that with an undertalented team. All great teams have had great supporting players to their superstars. Magic had Kareem and company. Jordan had Pippen and company. I don't understand why we expect DeRo to get us into the playoffs when the team built by Preki couldn't score in a whorehouse with a fistful of $20s.

Spot on. Especially about the scoring in a whorehouse with a fistful of $20s.

Chevy
10-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Ouch.

ensco
10-03-2010, 11:47 AM
No comparison is ever exact Ensco, come on. Every comparison can always be broken down into details and shown why they aren't "exact".

The point is both players love Toronto, both players are talented, both players played on undertalented teams and both players were expected to carry their teams to unreasonable success without the proper tools.

Sundin is white, DeRo is brown. Sundin wasn't Canadian, DeRo is. Sundin never won a championship, DeRo has. The differences are extensive. It doesn't make the similarities any less imprortant.

The comparison bugs me because Sundin was such an exemplar of professionalism, Dichio was too (I don't seem to recall Danny publicly protesting when Mo cut his salary).

Dero isn't handling himself like a true pro. It's bigger than the cheque writing thing, for all his talent he's a diva out there.

You see it differently, anyone who plowed through the Dero thread knows that!

reggie
10-03-2010, 11:48 AM
why the hate for dero...the guy works his ass off played almost every min of every game,wtf.
is this not a supporters site??
its become a player basher site..

Roogsy
10-03-2010, 11:53 AM
The comparison bugs me because Sundin was such an exemplar of professionalism, Dichio was too (I don't seem to recall Danny publicly protesting when Mo cut his salary).

Dero isn't handling himself like a true pro. It's bigger than the cheque writing thing, for all his talent he's a diva out there.

I don't deny the difference in attitude and conduct on the field. I don't recall Sundin ever sending the Leafs/MLSE a message the way DeRo did. I am not willingly ignoring the facts here Ensco. But are you telling me that people were aware of what DeRo was going to do last week prior to his doing it? If not, then last week's brainfart isn't the reason why people don't love DeRo as much. Is it his chicken dance? Perhaps.

Either way, if people live and die on "professionalism", why is it that Sundin was not as loved as Clark? Both conducted themselves well on and off the ice but one had huge numbers and the other didn't. That is my only point.

We have our own Sundin in terms of numbers. In terms of talent. In terms of being surrounded by journeymen and plumbers and having to carry the weight on their own. I never said it was in terms of attitude.

ensco
10-03-2010, 11:56 AM
why the hate for dero...the guy works his ass off played almost every min of every game,wtf.
is this not a supporters site??
its become a player basher site..

You must be new to this supporter's thing! Check out how some Milan ultras treated Paolo Maldini after his last game (having played for the club for 24 years and won a dozen Scudettos and CLs)

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2009/05/25/1285122/why-did-milan-ultras-insult-paolo-maldini

reggie
10-03-2010, 11:57 AM
sundin was making 6 to 7 mil a yr for 10 yrs and has never won anything with the leafs.what is going to say i want 10 mil a year.

Beach_Red
10-03-2010, 12:00 PM

This is really the core issue of the sports fan (maybe Toronto sports fans are different from others, I don't know).

Many fans do see all stars as being the same and all grinders being the same and they like one style of player more than the other.

But just like you see differences between Sundin and DeRo there are a lotof differences between grinders, and we don't always see that either.

Carts
10-03-2010, 12:01 PM
sundin was making 6 to 7 mil a yr for 10 yrs and has never won anything with the leafs.what is going to say i want 10 mil a year.

And could you imagine if the backup keeper was the 2nd highest paid player making more than double his salary...?

Because that's basically Mista. Sits on the bench most games and pads the bank account with zero effort, work or pain...

Carts...

Roogsy
10-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Quick question, (because we are veering off topic here and I apologize to the OP) but was Sundin ever NOT the top paid player? Or did he ever even drop down to 3rd?

Chevy
10-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I don't deny the difference in attitude and conduct on the field. I don't recall Sundin ever sending the Leafs/MLSE a message the way DeRo did. I am not willingly ignoring the facts here Ensco. But are you telling me that people were aware of what DeRo was going to do last week prior to his doing it? If not, then last week's brainfart isn't the reason why people don't love DeRo as much. Is it his chicken dance? Perhaps.

Either way, if people live and die on "professionalism", why is it that Sundin was not as loved as Clark? Both conducted themselves well on and off the ice but one had huge numbers and the other didn't. That is my only point.

We have our own Sundin in terms of numbers. In terms of talent. In terms of being surrounded by journeymen and plumbers and having to carry the weight on their own. I never said it was in terms of attitude.

I think many suspected DeRo of being selfish and lacking character. Last week's actions just proved it.

Even without the brain fart, he was never on track to be as loved a player as Danny.

ensco
10-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Quick question, (because we are veering off topic here and I apologize to the OP) but was Sundin ever NOT the top paid player? Or did he ever even drop down to 3rd?

He was the top paid guy from 1998 on. Cujo was a close second for a while.

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/salaries/3768
http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/salaries/1797

Mats is 7th on the alltime earnings list.
http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/blog/2009/10/jagr-leads-top-10-nhl-fortunes-with-98m.htm

ilikemusic
10-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Dichio is a white guy with negligible talent but worked very hard.

DeRo is a black guy with considerable talent, works hard, and is confident in his abilities.

:hide:

But seriously, do people in this thread just have really bad memories? You are reminiscing about Dichio as if he was Captain of a TFC dynasty.

The hatred for DeRo and the love for Dichio is irrational at best and indicative of some latent racism at worst. DeRo doesnt act like you want him to act, so he is all of a sudden expendable.

denime
10-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Dichio never thought he was bigger than the team. Never acted like a prima donna. Can't say the same for the other guy.

I think a similar comparison would be Rooney and Ronaldo when they played together at United. No doubt Ronaldo is blessed with incredible talent but you always got the feeling he was all about himself over the team. Rooney, still with incredible talent but 100% all about the team before himself. You never got the impression that Danny was looking for the glory for himself, it was always about the team, Dero not so much(although he always gives 100% effort).

and if I can recall Dichio wasn't top paid player on TFC roster even thought he was a top player at that time.
The fact that DeRo never made in in Europe has more to do with his EGO than his skills,coaches there can easy see if someone is all about himself as DeRo or about team.

Dichio was a leader on and off the filed,DeRo not so much.

Roogsy
10-03-2010, 01:03 PM
The fact that DeRo never made in in Europe has more to do with his EGO than his skills,coaches there can easy see if someone is all about himself as DeRo or about team.

This issue has been addressed numerous times so all I am going to say about it is that this is pure garbage. Saying things over and over doesn't make them true.

H Bomb
10-03-2010, 01:06 PM

DeRo is a black guy with considerable talent, works hard, and is confident in his abilities.

But seriously, do people in this thread just have really bad memories? You are reminiscing about Dichio as if he was Captain of a TFC dynasty.

The hatred for DeRo and the love for Dichio is irrational at best and indicative of some latent racism at worst. DeRo doesnt act like you want him to act, so he is all of a sudden expendable.

^^ I really hope that was tongue in cheek

Raging Reggie
10-03-2010, 02:22 PM
dero is like kanye west, dichio is more like billy bragg

haha good one. I agree :cheers:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-03-2010, 03:16 PM
he once challenged himself to a staring contest......

on the fourth day he won!

DICHIO = LEGEND!!

I remember the game....GOAL..FIGHT..RED CARD..EJECTED!!

FluSH
10-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Danny Dichio = http://multimedia.thestar.com/images/59/b8/a4417efb4f518c9e6b2a363b6bc9.jpeg

Dwayne De Rosario =
http://www.blogcdn.com/soccer.fanhouse.com/media/2010/09/gyi0061805328.jpg

menefreghista
10-03-2010, 04:44 PM
I will be a little upset if we Larry Murphy De Rosario out of town.

I don't give a fuck that he has a massive ego.

There have been very few players that have played for TFC that I've seen try so hard on a consistent basis as De Rosario. And the fact that he is not a plumber makes it all the more sweeter.

De Rosario always looks like he is giving his all when he is playing. Sure, he is a flawed player (often a hog, takes bad shots, etc.) but this is MLS, you aren't getting the best players in the world.

Its hard to argue against his production.

AL-MO
10-03-2010, 04:45 PM

Yep we're all racists. :rolleyes:

denime
10-03-2010, 06:22 PM

:picard:

You are delusional and paranoid !

AL-MO
10-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Dichio will always be the most popular for a few reasons. Despite his limited skill, he had a knack for scoring timely goals. Also I think that as Supporters he embodied us on the field. We are giving it our all in the stands and he was on the field.

Also he is a top notch dude, who always has time for a Supporter. Whether its just to chat, or to sign an autograph or take a picture.

That is why we made THIS for him:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs116.snc3/16338_340695540293_553575293_9791509_967202_n.jpg

Chevy
10-03-2010, 07:35 PM
For when DeRo retires.

http://nipponster.com/dailyj_copy/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/thank-you-small.JPG

Mark in Ottawa
10-03-2010, 07:45 PM

^^ +1.
Could you ever imagine a pro like Dichio putting on a public display demanding more money?

nuff said!

Huyton
10-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Didn't Danny drop by to fold up the banner and bring donuts?

Certainly learned "How to be a Canadian" in a hell of a hurry.

AL-MO
10-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Didn't Danny drop by to fold up the banner and bring donuts?

Certainly learned "How to be a Canadian" in a hell of a hurry.

Very small gesture, but sometimes its those things that count!

druid
10-03-2010, 09:05 PM
I certainly think DeRo is the more consistent player with more talent but Danny wasn't just a clogger and was capable of a brilliant finish.

But the question winds up being more about character than talent: Danny wears his heart on his sleeve, DeRo wears his ego.

nascarguy
10-03-2010, 09:56 PM
dero is a asshole I do not care how many goals he got for TFC I will be happy when he goes.
I hope he take that canadian jackass from spain with him.
dichio is the only player from TFC that I would but on the back of my shirt.

dero is the biggest asshole in the MLS

FluSH
10-03-2010, 10:05 PM

You have to be nuts?! Where I'm from De Rosario is a white guy with a Portuguse last name...

TOBOR !
10-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Danny played for the people, Dwayne plays for himself.

reggie
10-03-2010, 11:34 PM
you guys are brutal...i hope you part time supporters dont renew.

123 elite
10-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Reading this thread is more depressing than watching this season. DeRo is by far the best player TFC have had with possibly the exception of Frei. Danny.. nice bloke but average player. Cannot understand the adulation. I wonder if the south stands actually watch the game or if they are too busy jumping around to see whats actually going on on the park.

Davenport
10-04-2010, 07:31 AM

Bang on.

jabbronies
10-04-2010, 07:42 AM
For me, when Danny was on the field he made the players around him better. When Dero is on the pitch he is the focus of the game. I don't feel like other players benefit from him being out there like they would if Danny was out there.

Chevy
10-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Reading this thread is more depressing than watching this season. DeRo is by far the best player TFC have had with possibly the exception of Frei. Danny.. nice bloke but average player. Cannot understand the adulation. I wonder if the south stands actually watch the game or if they are too busy jumping around to see whats actually going on on the park.

We are not talking about who is the flashier player, just who has endeared himself to supporters more.

TOBOR !
10-04-2010, 08:02 AM

Didn't notice your post first time through.

I think to this you could add that Danny made those around him play better.

Oldtimer
10-04-2010, 08:04 AM

If you could understand why Toronto loved Tie Domi in hockey, you'd instantly understand why Toronto loves Danny Dichio.

Hint: It has nothing to do with race or great skill (although he has decent skill), and has everything to do with attitude.

Fushida
10-04-2010, 08:05 AM

He's the best player in terms of what he's shown in skill. I don't think anyone argues that. But as for how he's been conducting himself on and off the field - as the CAPTAIN no less - is disgraceful.

Chevy
10-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Do you really think TO loves Tie Domi? I found him to be a 50/50 love/hate guy.

I think that Danny is very similar to Doug Gilmour.

jabbronies
10-04-2010, 08:24 AM

agreed.

People here are comparing Dichio to Tie Domi! that's ridiculous.
Danny was our best player for 2 years - he scored goals and made those around him better. Tie domi was just a fighter - he's more comparable to Dan Gargan - who I can't understand why people love him so much

I would compare Dichio vs. Dero the same way I'd compare Ovechkin vs Crosby. This is more of an "overall impact on the game" as oppose to a "who has the most skill dominance". Again, this is just my opinion

If you like Ovechkin and Dero you like the individual skilled player aspect of the game. Someone who gets the ball and makes thing happen on his own.

if you like Dichio and Crosby you like the team aspect of the game. Someone who makes players around him better but at times can also get things done when needed.

ManUtd4ever
10-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Dichio will most likely remain the most popular TFC player amongst our generation of supporters because of his heart, determination, and most importantly, because he was the first player to emerge as someone the supporters could identify with and gravitate towards during the infancy stages of the franchise. In that sense, it's an unfair comparison because I think the general sentiment would have been similar regardless of DeRo's recent negative publicity...

DichioTFC
10-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Why does the best player *have to be* our favourite player?

DeRo is our best player and I'm thankful for all he does, but my favourite player currently on the team is Adrian Cann.

Dichio didn't have to be the best player to be loved. He exceeded expectations, his greatest MLS successes were in a TFC jersey and it feels as though he genuinely cared about the crest.

Maybe its our fault that we expected too much from DeRo, it's not realistic to expect playoffs single-handedly from a solitary player. But expectations are what they are, and until DeRo exceeds them, I don't know if he'll ever reach the Dichio-legend status level.

jabbronies
10-04-2010, 09:12 AM

DeRo is our best player and I'm thankful for all he does, but my favourite player currently on the team is Adrian Cann.

Dichio didn't have to be the best player to be loved. He exceeded expectations, his greatest MLS successes were in a TFC jersey and it feels as though he genuinely cared about the crest.

Maybe its our fault that we expected too much from DeRo, it's not realistic to expect playoffs single-handedly from a solitary player. But expectations are what they are, and until DeRo exceeds them, I don't know if he'll ever reach the Dichio-legend status level.

i was with you until the last paragraph. You say it's not realistic to expect playoffs from a single player, but then go on to say that until he exceeds that expectation, he won't reach Dichio status. Kinda contradictory.

Dero has won us many games - including the "Miracle in Montreal" - and he still doesn't get the status Dichio gets. I don't think he ever will get that status.

To many, he is the star of this team. the only shining light - but that doesn't mean he's the hero everyone looks to in order for our fortunes to change. I think we need to come to terms with that. Both on and off the field people are not regarding him as the "leader" of this team. He is the star, just not the leader.

DichioTFC
10-04-2010, 09:31 AM
i was with you until the last paragraph. You say it's not realistic to expect playoffs from a single player, but then go on to say that until he exceeds that expectation, he won't reach Dichio status. Kinda contradictory.

Dero has won us many games - including the "Miracle in Montreal" - and he still doesn't get the status Dichio gets. I don't think he ever will get that status.

To many, he is the star of this team. the only shining light - but that doesn't mean he's the hero everyone looks to in order for our fortunes to change. I think we need to come to terms with that. Both on and off the field people are not regarding him as the "leader" of this team. He is the star, just not the leader.

It is a bit contradictory but there is an element of observed truth in my earlier post.

With a team sport like soccer, having 1 great guy, 3 or 4 good guys and 6 or 7 filler; it's often too difficult for that one great guy to take everything on his own shoulders like it seems we were expecting DeRo to do.

The expectation is for DeRo to get us to the playoffs. Exceeding that expectation would be to go deep / win it all. Fair or not, that seems to be the underlying expectation for most supporters. I think DeRo will get Dichio status if he gets us into the playoffs and we win a game or two.

TorCanSoc
10-04-2010, 09:48 AM

I hated Doug Gilmour.

:picard:

... thread jack. Chooo chooo next stop nowheresville. :)

ilikemusic
10-04-2010, 09:51 AM
If you could understand why Toronto loved Tie Domi in hockey, you'd instantly understand why Toronto loves Danny Dichio.

And thats the reason Toronto sports teams fail so miserably.

Sentimental plugs like Domi or Dichio are more valued that players with actual talent.

Beyond that though, I think its an insult to Dichio to compare him to that worthless piece of shit Domi.

Beach_Red
10-04-2010, 10:03 AM

Hint: It has nothing to do with race or great skill (although he has decent skill), and has everything to do with attitude.

Or it may have to do with misundestanding attitude. Did Domi really have a great attitude? Did Gilmour? They didn't really show it in the other cities they played in - did they just love Toronto that much? Unlikely.

No, it has more to do with the fans wanting them to be a certain way whether they were or not.

AL-MO
10-04-2010, 10:07 AM

I would agree with this assessment!

Blizzard
10-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Cann is a class act.

DichioTFC
10-04-2010, 10:13 AM

H4ZuB-83jxg

Disagree, Gilmour has more hair.

Wull
10-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Dichio is a journeyman pro that did nothing of note in his career. He's Duncan Ferguson part two, so much promise, so little delivery but both loved the jersey they pulled over their heads and put everything into what they did

TOBOR !
10-04-2010, 10:42 AM
It's strictly a question of character. If you'll permit me to cross into another MLSE enterprise for a comparison, Danny beats Dwayne every time - the same way Jerome beats Vince.

reggie
10-04-2010, 11:15 AM
bottomline is...we didnt win with danny and we are not winning with dwayne.
unless the player is dating my daughter i dont care how nice he is.
just win,i dont care if we have 11 pricks on the team.

Blowing Bubbles
10-04-2010, 11:19 AM
lol @ comparing Dichio to Gilmour on the Leafs ..... He was arguably at top 5 and surely top 10 player when in Toronto ...... Dichio was nowhere even close to that. The comparison sucks.

TOBOR !
10-04-2010, 11:44 AM
^ then make the JYD / Danny comparison. It doesn't matter because eventually it all boils down tn character.

maninb
10-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Agree 100%

v00d00daddy
10-04-2010, 12:47 PM
I appreciate Dichio for all the firsts that he did for this club and the way he did it. He seems like a classy guy.

My thoughts on DeRo are very well documented so I won't get into that.

The point is that I find it surprising that either guy is elevated to the level that they've been elevated to.

I think we are WAY too quick to idolize players at this club. We've been around 4 years and we already have two guys on a "wall of honour"?

We've set the bar pretty low.

Nobody from this franchise should be given the praise and status that either of these guys have been given. Not to say that they're not nice guys or good players, I just don't think they're legends.

jloome
10-04-2010, 12:47 PM
This issue has been addressed numerous times so all I am going to say about it is that this is pure garbage. Saying things over and over doesn't make them true.

More fair: you have no idea whether it's garbage. We have no idea why, aside from the one incident involving Blackburn, he didn't make it overseas.

But yes, there's nothing to suggest it was his ego. In fact, my understanding is the biggest impediment was always Canada's ranking, which several times was out of the top 70 when DeRo was looking to make a move, making a work permit difficult to obtain.

This thread is a prime example of how people pick polar positions then defend them to the death, even when it's stupid and unnecessary. They are two of the better players we've had, they are liked and disliked for different reasons.

As a long-time football fan, I personally think Dichio was the more talented guy, but people often forget he was very much a target forward, not a heavy scorer. DeRo's easily talented enough to have played at the Championship level, which is where Dichio spent most of his time.

So it's apples and oranges and comparing them is basically pointless.

jloome
10-04-2010, 12:49 PM
lol @ comparing Dichio to Gilmour on the Leafs ..... He was arguably at top 5 and surely top 10 player when in Toronto ...... Dichio was nowhere even close to that. The comparison sucks.

Whereas I think anyone who ranked Dougie Gilmour as a top 10 player is delusional, and in terms of MLS talent, Dichio probably was in the top 10 among league strikers, so that actually makes sense.

It's all how you frame it, and personal observation is just that.

jloome
10-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Dichio is a journeyman pro that did nothing of note in his career. He's Duncan Ferguson part two, so much promise, so little delivery but both loved the jersey they pulled over their heads and put everything into what they did

Yeah, two of the most respected target forwards in the British game, but because neither was a prolific scorer, you see it as wasted potential.

:facepalm: And I don't place these often.

Wull
10-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Yeah, two of the most respected target forwards in the British game, but because neither was a prolific scorer, you see it as wasted potential.

:facepalm: And I don't place these often.

Neither did what they could have achieved, I'm a big Everton fan and count Dunc as one of my idols but neither of them made any of their teams that much better so you can :facepalm: as much as you like but neither of them made it at the highest level

H Bomb
10-04-2010, 01:05 PM
I appreciate Dichio for all the firsts that he did for this club and the way he did it. He seems like a classy guy.

My thoughts on DeRo are very well documented so I won't get into that.

The point is that I find it surprising that either guy is elevated to the level that they've been elevated to.

I think we are WAY too quick to idolize players at this club. We've been around 4 years and we already have two guys on a "wall of honour"?

We've set the bar pretty low.

Nobody from this franchise should be given the praise and status that either of these guys have been given. Not to say that they're not nice guys or good players, I just don't think they're legends.

I agree with most of this. But time can't play too big a role in the equation. Example from experience. Birmingham were struggling in their first premier league season and near the drop all year. In the January transfer window we signed World Cup winner Christophe Dugarry. He scored 6 goals, but more than that was a total talisman and essentially kept us up. The dude was entirely in the Cantona mold, angry, murcurial and immesely talented (Very french) and instantly entered the hearts of a 125 year old blue collar club. He signed on perminent in the summer but was a little hurt and left after basically half of one more season. Ask around, Christophe Dugarry is pretty much anyone who wasnt alive to see Francis, Latchford, Hatton or Gemmill plays favourite Blues player ever. He's mine. and he was with us for about 1/200th of our history.

So i guess what Im daying is i really think Dichio deserves the love we give him. He helped make us what we are, even if MLSE are trying to tear it apart

Roogsy
10-04-2010, 01:24 PM
More fair: you have no idea whether it's garbage. We have no idea why, aside from the one incident involving Blackburn, he didn't make it overseas.

But yes, there's nothing to suggest it was his ego. In fact, my understanding is the biggest impediment was always Canada's ranking, which several times was out of the top 70 when DeRo was looking to make a move, making a work permit difficult to obtain.

This thread is a prime example of how people pick polar positions then defend them to the death, even when it's stupid and unnecessary. They are two of the better players we've had, they are liked and disliked for different reasons.

As a long-time football fan, I personally think Dichio was the more talented guy, but people often forget he was very much a target forward, not a heavy scorer. DeRo's easily talented enough to have played at the Championship level, which is where Dichio spent most of his time.

So it's apples and oranges and comparing them is basically pointless.

Can't disagree.

BeerBaron95
10-04-2010, 02:26 PM
This thread has turned into a shit show comparing players (TFC) to players in other sports and so on and so forth.

but if it is to continue..... Gilmour may not have been a top 10 player in his career... though you can at least make an argument with his play in both the 93' and 94' seasons respectively, he was definitely a higher ranking player in the NHL than Dichio was in MLS.. so Jloome to say Dichio was a top 10 striker in the MLS is ludicrous

and i will place one of these :picard:

I agree that DD is more loved than Dero for his class, his attitude and his leadership skills.. its not to say Dero isnt a leader aswell, i just think he is alos more selfish a player than DD was and it shows alot of the time.. but if you picked who is better than its really not a contest at all

And also lets not kid ourselves... to have 2 players on a team that is only 4 years old on a 'wall of honor' really is a farce

H Bomb
10-04-2010, 02:42 PM
I dont think Dichio is getting enough credit for his quality. The dude knew how to play the game. And that doesnt mean running around and trying really hard, it means fantastic positioning, intelligent hold up play, bringing your teammates into the play, not doing the same thing every time you get the ball, and communicating with those around him. Dichio made TFC better, sure he didnt have a lot around him but those around him were better for his presence. I cant think of many MLS strikers I would have taken for Dichio in those first 2 years. Angel, Donovan, sure they're better than Dichio. Not many other strikers were, the dude is a very good footballer.

123 elite
10-04-2010, 03:26 PM
We are not talking about who is the flashier player, just who has endeared himself to supporters more.

I don't understand a support getting endeared to someone because he runs to the crowd and bashes the corner flag off his chest. Dichio scored about 6 or 7 a season. DeRO 12-13 a season. I would feel pretty daft if my liking of deRo was because i got a chuckle out of his peacock strut. I like him because he delivers when most around him don't. Yes he could be less selfish and read the game better at times but i don't think that adding a bit of crowd love makes him a better player and certainly wouldn't make him more popular to me. If you get fooled by all that ' I love the shirt...honest' type stuff then i just don't understand that at all. I don't follow hockey so i have no idea about tie domi comparisons. I couldn't pick Tie domi out in a line up.

trane
10-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Dichio scored 6 or 7 a season because he was perpetualy injured, or simiply not being played. Dichio would have score plenty in this league if he had been able to play more.

Hitcho
10-04-2010, 05:02 PM
One word - timing. Danny came along when we needed a hero and were love-struck for TFC without all the baggage that we have today in terms of shattered expectations from ML$E and the team. If De Ro had come along at that time instead then he would have been the idol. Not to undermine Danny's contribution in any way, he lead by example and was as committed to this team as anyone you will ever see, but De Ro is cut from a similar cloth and would likely have been held in the same regard if he'd been the 2007 hero instead of the 2009/2010 hero.

jloome
10-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I dont think Dichio is getting enough credit for his quality. The dude knew how to play the game. And that doesnt mean running around and trying really hard, it means fantastic positioning, intelligent hold up play, bringing your teammates into the play, not doing the same thing every time you get the ball, and communicating with those around him. Dichio made TFC better, sure he didnt have a lot around him but those around him were better for his presence. I cant think of many MLS strikers I would have taken for Dichio in those first 2 years. Angel, Donovan, sure they're better than Dichio. Not many other strikers were, the dude is a very good footballer.

Agreed. That's my point. At the time he played, regardless of how much he played or the relative overall stats, position for position there weren't 10 guys I would've had ahead of him. Of the ones that immediately come to mind, they're pretty much all DPs. Montero came after, so did Nkufo.

rocker
10-04-2010, 06:35 PM
one big diff with Dichio is he didn't always choose to shoot (passed to Cunty and others a lot), as he was a good passer. Also, he was very efficient. He didn't kick 5 fieldgoals per game to get 1 goal. he'd get only 1 good chance and make it count.

123 elite
10-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Dichio scored 6 or 7 a season because he was perpetualy injured, or simiply not being played. Dichio would have score plenty in this league if he had been able to play more.

You could just as easily say that DeRo would get 20 a season if OBW would move his arse a bit more or if Guevara would not stop and wave imaginary cards at the ref everytime he fell over while play continues. You just can't say Dichio would score more if this or that. It means nothing. He scored some nice ones for sure but he was extremely limited when it came to pace and that counts for a huge amount in the modern game. Dichio would have been great in the 70s but the game has moved on since then. My opinion is based on what has actually happened on the field and DeRo has scored more in one season than DD scored period. DeRo is pretty much an attacking midfielder that has scored as many as Chad, Peterson Santos and OBW combined and last year as many as OBW, Gerba, Chad, and Vitti combined. The way I see it is that that is what makes a player legendary. All the rest of that playing for the crest stuff is just what some fans lap up. I don't and i still don't understand why people get all weepy eyed over that kind of thing. I also don't get this critisism of DeRo pumping 5 over the bar to get one goal. Most attackers have that kind of strike rate especially at this level. Dichio included. Considering the three recent goals DeRo popped in away from home its not surprising he fancies the odd pop at goal from distance. And he creates too. He's actually one of the few reasons to watch TFC these days. I couldn't give a flying fu** if he mimes signing cheques. That just suggests he's not that smart. Not alone there in the football world really.

maximo_rpd
10-04-2010, 11:35 PM
I was just having a long discussion a friend of mine about this question. I'd say it's hard to deny that Dichio was always more loved than DeRo is now and probably will ever be. What do you guys think the reasons are for this?

Nobody can ever take away from Danny the first goal ever and the last goal of the first season - what a lift both that first and the beautiful final goal gave us - it left us all feeling great about a tough season. Danny wasn't pretty - Danny was a working man's man - we can relate to that.

To really be memorable - Dero needs the goal that gets us into the playoffs, goal in the playoffs that produces a win or the winning cup goal like he did for Houston - he has the harder road to travel - anybody could have won our hearts with the first goal ever - Dero has to do more. The goals in Montreal will be a part of the legend, but Dero will have to do something in the playoffs to gain that soft spot in our hearts, somewhere near the spot where Danny will always be... :hump:

Mark in Ottawa
10-05-2010, 07:40 AM
It is not just about being a player... it is about being a class person.
Dichio has DeRo beat on that count... in spades!

snowcrash
10-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Don't kid yourself that Dichio was just heart and hustle. He had a ton of skill, particularly for a big guy. Dichio's touch and field vision are miles ahead of Dero's, just to name a couple of skills. Yeah, Dero's probably a better dead ball player, when he can get it on target.

Roogsy
10-05-2010, 09:19 AM
The only way I look at it is this:

I wish the two of them would have had a chance to play together for a longer period of time.

Chevy
10-05-2010, 09:36 AM
The only way I look at it is this:

I wish the two of them would have had a chance to play together for a longer period of time.

What does that have to do with comparing character and being loved by supporters?

I would also have liked to see them play together longer, if only to see Danny choke out DeRo after his cheque signing tom-foolery. :)

trane
10-05-2010, 10:32 AM
He scored some nice ones for sure but he was extremely limited when it came to pace and that counts for a huge amount in the modern game. Dichio would have been great in the 70s but the game has moved on since then. My opinion is based on what has actually happened on the field and DeRo has scored more in one season than DD scored period. .

This is what is wrong with the North American football fan. Simplisitc analyses. Football is not just about pace. Pace is easy to quantify, but MLS players for the most part are sub-par, and yet they have plenty of pace.

Dichio, had all the qualities that the average MLS striker did not have, positioning, appropriate skills set, tactical understanding, and just general footy IQ.

By the way, I like De Ro, and share Jloome assessemnt of him, and like Roogsy only wish that the two of them could have played together, Dichio as the CF, and De Ro as the SS/AM. Then we would trully had something in attack.

trane
10-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Agreed. That's my point. At the time he played, regardless of how much he played or the relative overall stats, position for position there weren't 10 guys I would've had ahead of him. Of the ones that immediately come to mind, they're pretty much all DPs. Montero came after, so did Nkufo.

Agreed. Nkufo was the first DP that I trully wanted. I like Mista BUT I always thought that we needed a bigger CF to play along with all our mids.

H Bomb
10-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Dichio as the CF, and De Ro as the SS/AM.

Listen Dero has his faults, but he's not THAT bad.

trane
10-05-2010, 10:40 AM
^ For the sake of clarity SS= Second Striker.

Derko
10-05-2010, 12:28 PM

:iagree:

One player (Dichio) forced to retire, and one player(Robinson) whom people thought was an overpaid DM, run out of town to make space for a talented but in the wrong league overpaid DM (Deguzman), and don't forget Sam Cronin, another talented player lost because of poor management.

Roogsy
10-05-2010, 02:02 PM
What does that have to do with comparing character and being loved by supporters?

I would also have liked to see them play together longer, if only to see Danny choke out DeRo after his cheque signing tom-foolery. :)

Because my position has been fairly consistent from the start. I could care less about character. All I care about is performance and that is why I love both of them. They are the only two players that have ever really come through for TFC. Why people love one more than the other to me is irrelevant to the product on the pitch. Neither of these guys affect my personal life therefore I could care less if they are the nicest people in the world or if they are absolute douchebags.

Chevy
10-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Well, if the "only" way you can look at this (read: I love all things DeRo) prevents you from commenting on the discussion, why continue to offer your opinion ad nauseum?

Whoop
10-05-2010, 02:11 PM
The same reason guys like Derek Jeter, Tim Duncan, David Robinson are more loved compared to Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds, Allen Iverson.

Roogsy
10-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Well, if the "only" way you can look at this (read: I love all things DeRo) prevents you from commenting on the discussion, why continue to offer your opinion ad nauseum?

Because silly me I thought this was a discussion board... :noidea: And since my comments actually are directly related to the Dichio/DeRo issue, I am not sure why I would be prevented from commenting? Weird...

Chevy
10-05-2010, 02:31 PM
^ Weak.

v00d00daddy
10-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Because my position has been fairly consistent from the start. I could care less about character. All I care about is performance and that is why I love both of them. They are the only two players that have ever really come through for TFC. Why people love one more than the other to me is irrelevant to the product on the pitch. Neither of these guys affect my personal life therefore I could care less if they are the nicest people in the world or if they are absolute douchebags.

Fairly consistent? LOL

Take a look at your posts about DeRo prior to his cheque signing bullshit.

We argued at length about whether or not he was a good leader. I said he wasn't and you waxed poetically about what nice dude he is and how much he cares.

Now you don't care if he's a douchebag?

wow.

ps....respond however you like but I just want you to know I'm not getting into a pissing match with you again.

:D

Derko
10-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Listen Dero has his faults, but he's not THAT bad.

I agree that D$Ro is a good player, and so was Dichio, for me I loved Dichio for the first goal, love D$Ro for his many goals, but dislike D$Ro as a captain because he is far too selfish, there were many times when D$Ro seemed to give up and sit on the field sulking, where as Dichio knew his limitations and so did the coaches and the more Intelligent Supporters, and Dichio played as such.

My Opinion Only

Roogsy
10-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Fairly consistent? LOL

Take a look at your posts about DeRo prior to his cheque signing bullshit.

We argued at length about whether or not he was a good leader. I said he wasn't and you waxed poetically about what nice dude he is and how much he cares.

Now you don't care if he's a douchebag?

wow.

ps....respond however you like but I just want you to know I'm not getting into a pissing match with you again.

:D

So this is just a drive-by post? No problem.

I stand by what I said. I have been consistent. If I haven't been consistent with my position, I wouldn't mind seeing it referenced so I can see my error.

Chevy
10-06-2010, 06:46 PM
I think his comment is in reference to your posts in the "cheque-signing" thread as well as this thread. In the cheque thread you wax eloquently about DeRo's passion, comittment, heart, blah blah, etc.... Essentially that he's not the asshole he seems to be, and we should all ignore his public display of douchebaggery. "He's not a douche, you must belive me!"

However....When it comes to why the supporters "love" Danny more (as is very evident in this thread) you dismiss character, attitude and leadership. "I don't care if he's a douche! And you shouldn't either!"

Basically, your motto is "whatever works best for DeRo". Fanboy personified.

Are you sure you're not him? It's getting creepy.

ExiledRed
10-06-2010, 09:28 PM
People are forgetting that when Dichio walked out onto our pitch we suddenly looked like a team. We lost 1-0 to Kansas city, but played the best football in our short history and suddenly looked competetive after humiliating defeats on the road.

The next game, he scored that goal, but less than half an hour later, he tried to take a bite out of a chicago player and got red carded. The crowd went wild, this guy wasnt just a great footy player, he was a fucking animal and when he was on the pitch the other team was scared and you could palpably feel that.

After that, Danny developed his relationship with the fans. He'd come to us when he scored, his celebrations were about the crowd, he'd rally us to cheer and make noise. He never said a bad word about Toronto or the team either, and he demonstrated his sincerity by bringing his family over and settling here and then accepting a paycut. He's taken a long term interest in the team, and contributed immensely to local youth development.

Often when you see Danny, he has a kid on his back and one on either side. He's a giant family guy, an exemplary role model for youngsters, and one of the best ambassadors for football in this city there could ever be.

DeRo's contribution has been to score goals, and speak up on issues such as fieldturf, pay imbalances and politicking in the locker room. Its possible he'll fuck off at the next opportunity and blame MLSE for making it impossible to stay or something. Danny didnt do that, despite geting shafted in MLSE's drive to develop another Edu for sale. he stuck it out and remains a presence at BMO on gameday.

Maybe if DeRo had found a way to get here in season one instead of bitching about the money, the turf and how his family loved living in Houston, things would be different and he would be the embodiment of the spirit of TFC, but thats not what happened. He needs to give us a cup to get even close to the same level of respect, being born in scarborough aint enough.

sweetlemon69
10-06-2010, 09:29 PM

This. I'll never forget that dirty fade he did where i'm pretty sure dero collected it and scored.

123 elite
10-06-2010, 10:19 PM
This is what is wrong with the North American football fan. Simplisitc analyses. Football is not just about pace. Pace is easy to quantify, but MLS players for the most part are sub-par, and yet they have plenty of pace.

Dichio, had all the qualities that the average MLS striker did not have, positioning, appropriate skills set, tactical understanding, and just general footy IQ.

By the way, I like De Ro, and share Jloome assessemnt of him, and like Roogsy only wish that the two of them could have played together, Dichio as the CF, and De Ro as the SS/AM. Then we would trully had something in attack.

It wasn't an analyses at all. It was a comment about one of his limitations not a comment about any otherMLS player. I would question your reference to 'what other MLS strikers did not have' too. There were plenty of good MLS strikers in our first 2 seasons. Thats why most teams finished above us. I could give you an analyses but i am not trying to dis Dichio. I thought he was a useful player. But like i said no more useful than many others we have had.

123 elite
10-06-2010, 10:39 PM
People are forgetting that when Dichio walked out onto our pitch we suddenly looked like a team. We lost 1-0 to Kansas city, but played the best football in our short history and suddenly looked competetive after humiliating defeats on the road.

The next game, he scored that goal, but less than half an hour later, he tried to take a bite out of a chicago player and got red carded. The crowd went wild, this guy wasnt just a great footy player, he was a fucking animal and when he was on the pitch the other team was scared and you could palpably feel that.

After that, Danny developed his relationship with the fans. He'd come to us when he scored, his celebrations were about the crowd, he'd rally us to cheer and make noise. He never said a bad word about Toronto or the team either, and he demonstrated his sincerity by bringing his family over and settling here and then accepting a paycut. He's taken a long term interest in the team, and contributed immensely to local youth development.

Often when you see Danny, he has a kid on his back and one on either side. He's a giant family guy, an exemplary role model for youngsters, and one of the best ambassadors for football in this city there could ever be.

I just don't get this. I watch the same team as you. We never looked more or less a team when Dichio walked out. That's rose tinted horseshit. If you choose to believe that then fine but it isn't a fact anymore than say England looking like a team when John Terry walks out all puckered up and agressive. England were still crap at the WC.
You like to see biting ? IS that the level you want to watch? Other teams were scared ? Right. That would explain our fabulous results. They were all trembling their way to 3 or 4 goal wins back then. We played the best football in our history ???? Are you kidding? I'm not doubting DD loved playing here but if fans select their favourites based on their goal celebrations, their rallying of the crowd (ie the south end... seems like that is the only part of the stadium at times on here) their family coming to games or all that stuff that then that is just plain daft. From a football POV thats the easiest thing to do aswell. I may be limited but i do a bit of badge kissing in front of the troops then i'm good. That may work for a lot of people on here but not me. This isn't even about Dichio or DeRo. Seems a lot of people are more interested in personality than ability. What chance have we got. That basically the problem with Toronto management these days. Thats why we are what we are basically.

ExiledRed
10-06-2010, 11:07 PM
I just don't get this. I watch the same team as you. We never looked more or less a team when Dichio walked out. That's rose tinted horseshit. If you choose to believe that then fine but it isn't a fact anymore than say England looking like a team when John Terry walks out all puckered up and agressive. England were still crap at the WC.
You like to see biting ? IS that the level you want to watch? Other teams were scared ? Right. That would explain our fabulous results. They were all trembling their way to 3 or 4 goal wins back then. We played the best football in our history ???? Are you kidding? I'm not doubting DD loved playing here but if fans select their favourites based on their goal celebrations, their rallying of the crowd (ie the south end... seems like that is the only part of the stadium at times on here) their family coming to games or all that stuff that then that is just plain daft. From a football POV thats the easiest thing to do aswell. I may be limited but i do a bit of badge kissing in front of the troops then i'm good. That may work for a lot of people on here but not me. This isn't even about Dichio or DeRo. Seems a lot of people are more interested in personality than ability. What chance have we got. That basically the problem with Toronto management these days. Thats why we are what we are basically.

Noticing that the team played more cohesively, and that the opposition became much more defensive when Danny played, is not rosetinted horseshit, its my analysis. Danny's first touch and passing ability were unseconded, and his physicality made opposition players nervous. i'll suggest that maybe you werent watching the same team or that your horseshit is possibly maple tinted?

The question is about why a legendary player gets more respect than a player who's greatest achievements are with other clubs, and whines a lot. It wasnt about who the better player was, btw.

MG42
10-07-2010, 05:48 AM
I just don't get this. I watch the same team as you. We never looked more or less a team when Dichio walked out.

Actually, we did. Exiled is bang on IMO.

Oldtimer
10-07-2010, 07:51 AM

He was a tiger on the pitch, yet unbelievably nice in person. I remember taking my sons to have their seat cushions signed (those famous seat cushions), and he took the time to ask them about their own soccer playing and seemed truly interested in them.

In matches, you could sense the fear from the other sides. MLS had not had a player like DD before, his intensity was something else.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=114&pictureid=2486

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Dichio was the right kind of player, at the perfect time in this club's history.

He had tangibles and intangibles unrelated to on-field performance, that made him iconic at a time when fans were looking for players to latch onto.

DeRo has superior skill, and benefits from being a hometown guy, but lacks a lot of the other qualities that Dichio had.

- Scott

H Bomb
10-07-2010, 08:41 AM
DeRo has superior skill, and benefits from being a hometown guy, but lacks a lot of the other qualities that Dichio had.

- Scott

Imagine what Dero would be like if he wasnt homegrown. I bet he would not be given the leeway he is, and more people would recognize his flaws as well as just his talents.

Roogsy
10-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Imagine what Dero would be like if he wasnt homegrown. I bet he would not be given the leeway he is, and more people would recognize his flaws as well as just his talents.

Interesting since in San Jose and Houston he is not a "homegrown" player, he was with them for a longer period of time and yet they respect and love him more. I guess Toronto fans just know better.

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Interesting since in San Jose and Houston he is not a "homegrown" player, he was with them for a longer period of time and yet they respect and love him more. I guess Toronto fans just know better.

San Jose and Houston had tangible league success with DeRo. I suspect that if DeRo succeeds in bringing an MLS Cup to Toronto eventually, he will be equally "loved and respected". However, I don't really buy the notion that he isn't already.

Only in the last month or two has DeRo faced any real criticism from anyone, and it was mostly for an unfortunate performance-unrelated mistake of his own doing.

Outside of a handful of people on this board, the guy is near-universally lauded for his talent, and for being one of the only good players on the entire team. I suspect you're failing to see the forest for the trees on this one - particularly given your tendency to be a bit sensitive with regards to any criticism of DeRo (I knew you'd be the first one to quickly bite on H Bomb's comment, haha).

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2010, 09:06 AM

This isn't really the point I was making.

My point is that DeRo being a "hometown boy" adds an intangible value to his appeal as a player, because of the romanticized notion of the "hometown hero".

My point was that DeRo lacks the other intangibles that Dichio had. Dichio played a hard-nosed lunchpail style, and had a passion that led to all kinds of iconic moments - his first goal in team history. The photograph of him holding the corner flag in the air and shouting after a goal. These kinds of things affect you in a way that pure stats cannot hope to match.

- Scott

Roogsy
10-07-2010, 09:13 AM
San Jose and Houston had tangible league success with DeRo. I suspect that if DeRo succeeds in bringing an MLS Cup to Toronto eventually, he will be equally "loved and respected". However, I don't really buy the notion that he isn't already.

Only in the last month or two has DeRo faced any real criticism from anyone, and it was mostly for an unfortunate performance-unrelated mistake of his own doing.

Outside of a handful of people on this board, the guy is near-universally lauded for his talent, and for being one of the only good players on the entire team. I suspect you're failing to see the forest for the trees on this one - particularly given your tendency to be a bit sensitive with regards to any criticism of DeRo (I knew you'd be the first one to quickly bite on H Bomb's comment, haha).

- Scott

:lol:

Could be. It could be on that the perception might be clouded by the "squeaky wheels". Nonetheless, the poll that shows that over 50% would be fine with shipping him out of this team is more of what gave me that perception than the loud voices that hate him irrationally.

I will point out that DeRo has brought TWO cups (of lesser value I recognize) to Toronto. I am not sure bringing an MLS Cup will ever get DeRo to be loved to the heights of Dichio and I am ok with that. Dichio is like your first teenage girlfriend. She may have pimples and braces, but she will always be more special than the others, even if you wind up dating hotter women in your adulthood.

The only thing I get worked up about is the insane suggestion that we'd be better off without him. It's like people have forgotten our futility streak and our failure to find real strikers to consistently put goals in the net for 4 straight seasons. As to whether people think he's this or that, I am not interested in changing people's perceptions, likes or dislikes. They can hate him for all I care as long as he wears TFC red I am happy.

H Bomb
10-07-2010, 09:29 AM
sorry where's the proof that Dero is beloved in those towns anyways? If he won a championship here then he would be loved. And i know it wasnt the point you were making, it was the point i was making

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2010, 09:31 AM
And i know it wasnt the point you were making, it was the point i was making

I know. And because you quoted my post in making your point, I wanted to make it clear that you and I were not trying to make the same point.

- Scott

H Bomb
10-07-2010, 09:44 AM

- Scott

ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Wull
10-07-2010, 10:30 AM
sorry where's the proof that Dero is beloved in those towns anyways? If he won a championship here then he would be loved. And i know it wasnt the point you were making, it was the point i was making

can't speak for san jose but I am friends with a number of houston fans and they'd take him back in a heartbeat

romburgundy
10-07-2010, 11:28 AM
This is why http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2253&highlight=truths+dichio

v00d00daddy
10-07-2010, 05:34 PM
without dero tfc would be worse in most ways. that is, if he wasn't replaced. kinda the way we were worse without Guevara this year. you can't take away your best goal scorer and not replace him and expect to be better.

that being said, if dero weren't here we would be different.

1. we'd have to rely on the strikers to score which, I would hope, would mean getting a better striker than what we have

2. we'd have to get an AM that actually controls the midfield and distributes the ball well

give me those two things and I'd gladly get rid of dero and his goals.

sometimes keeping a good player just isn't good for the team and you have to cut a player loose.

dero scores but his play is suspect A LOT of the time. I was very happy when we first got him but waching his play every game has allowed me to notice his flaws.

unfortunately we're not allowed to mention his flaws because they're overshadowed byhis goal production and passion.

the guy is not nearly as good as people make him out to be.

he scores the most for our team but I don't think he's the best player, based on position.

namely because nobody can tell me what position he actually plays.

he plays however/wherever he wants and i think it's because he would be ineffective playing a specific position with a specific role or responsibility. unfortunately i don't think hes good enough to be allowed to do whatever he wants

FluSH
10-07-2010, 07:25 PM

DeRo's contribution has been to score goals, and speak up on issues such as fieldturf, pay imbalances and politicking in the locker room. Its possible he'll fuck off at the next opportunity and blame MLSE for making it impossible to stay or something. Danny didnt do that, despite geting shafted in MLSE's drive to develop another Edu for sale. he stuck it out and remains a presence at BMO on gameday.

Maybe if DeRo had found a way to get here in season one instead of bitching about the money, the turf and how his family loved living in Houston, things would be different and he would be the embodiment of the spirit of TFC, but thats not what happened. He needs to give us a cup to get even close to the same level of respect, being born in scarborough aint enough.

ExiledRed speaks the truth...

ArmenJBX
10-07-2010, 07:47 PM
As much as I agree with Dichio's outside role on the field as a person, his on field performances, though great, are not on the same level as De Rosario, who has now scored over 20 goals for this club.

De Rosario, as a footballer, I have more respect for. Dichio, as a person, likewise.

jloome
10-07-2010, 08:33 PM

A bit revisionist. They love him for what he did there, but the vast majority of Houston posters when he left felt he was expendable, due to Stuart Holden.

Yohan
10-12-2010, 11:06 PM
DeRo is the most gifted goal scorer, but I'd argue that both Dichio and DeRo are game changers.

Enough has been said about DeRo's skill sets so I won't repeat them.

You gotta have appreciation for hardnosed footy to appreciate what Dichio does. Target man strikers often don't score a lot of goals, but bring other assets to table.

Dichio was strong as an ox, and hard to beat in the air. I think about 90% of time, he won the balls in the air. Not many defenders can handle Dichio in one on one situations when fighting for the ball.

Dichio had magical first touch, probably better than any TFC player had. Combined with his vision and awareness of teammates, he made so many clever flicks and first touch passes to his teammates.

Whether you liked it or not, Dichio was the focus of TFC attack for so long, because often he was the only guy who can make something happen. I believe long ball does have a place in football (which target man strikers thrive on), but also combined with possession football. (more options on attack)

It really isn't Dichio's fault that he had donkeys like Cunty and Ruiz as striker partner.

Plus he's such a classy man. I would have walked away from the club if I was treated like dirt like Dichio was by Mo.

forzatoronto
10-13-2010, 08:51 PM
The memory of Dichio is the only reason I still care at all about this sorry excuse for a football club. He fought for this team, and for us, every moment he was on the pitch, and for an old, slow guy he had ridiculous skill with the ball. Remember his magical goal against New England in season one? He had the passion for the game and for the team that all who've followed have lacked. And he's just as great off the pitch as he was on it. DeRo is also a great player, and Canadian, but there will only ever be one Dichio.

FluSH
10-17-2010, 09:33 PM
The memory of Dichio is the only reason I still care at all about this sorry excuse for a football club. He fought for this team, and for us, every moment he was on the pitch, and for an old, slow guy he had ridiculous skill with the ball. Remember his magical goal against New England in season one? He had the passion for the game and for the team that all who've followed have lacked. And he's just as great off the pitch as he was on it. DeRo is also a great player, and Canadian, but there will only ever be one Dichio.

That's one of my favourite memories of Dichio... the man was a warrior.

adamdz
10-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Why is flush more loved then dero? I miss you man.

FluSH
10-17-2010, 09:41 PM
^^^
lol It's work... at times I feel like I'm trying to revive this economy all on my own! however I'm going to need that bonus for the increased ticket prizes...ZING