PDA

View Full Version : De Rosario's antics highlight the problems of the designated player

Mango Kid
10-01-2010, 10:44 AM
DeRo might not get the money he wants, but he got something: a headline at SI.com (http://m.si.com/news/wr/wr/detail/2906858/full).

Pachuco
10-01-2010, 10:51 AM
I agree with the sentiment. I think the problem lies in signing a DP who is not a global brand. If Henry and Beckham flop, well none of the other players can complain about their salary. At the end of the day, they fill stadiums and sell jerseys, and that in itself is worth all the money they give them.

It's when you sign a guy like Mista (who probably only sold 1 jersey this year and it was for his mother) that you have a problem. If the guy doesn't prove his worth on the field then it's easy for guys like Dero to say why the fuck is this guy geting paid money. He sells less jerseys then me, I'm well known in the MLS market where nobody knows who Mista is and I score goals and Mista doesn't.

The thing is, now that teams are allowed 3 DPs, there's no doubt some of these DP slots will be used for Mista type players and I don't think that was ever the intent.

Eastend
10-01-2010, 11:37 AM
good article.

king dave
10-01-2010, 11:54 AM
^^
KD.

Whoop
10-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Good article.

So should the anger be directed at MLSE or MLS? LOL

BFin
10-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Wow, very well written, and good points.

Good on si.com for actually paying close enough attention to MLS to write a well thought out article about it.

Phil
10-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Good article.

Thats always been a legitimate question.

Kevvv
10-01-2010, 12:42 PM
I agree with the sentiment. I think the problem lies in signing a DP who is not a global brand. If Henry and Beckham flop, well none of the other players can complain about their salary. At the end of the day, they fill stadiums and sell jerseys, and that in itself is worth all the money they give them.

It's when you sign a guy like Mista (who probably only sold 1 jersey this year and it was for his mother) that you have a problem. If the guy doesn't prove his worth on the field then it's easy for guys like Dero to say why the fuck is this guy geting paid money. He sells less jerseys then me, I'm well known in the MLS market where nobody knows who Mista is and I score goals and Mista doesn't.

The thing is, now that teams are allowed 3 DPs, there's no doubt some of these DP slots will be used for Mista type players and I don't think that was ever the intent.

I would lump JDG with Mista - neither of these guys has contributed to bums in seats at BMO, so far as I can tell.

flatpicker
10-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Agreed.
But with regards to Mista, I think he was used very poorly by management and coaching staff. I don't know what has been going on behind the scenes, but he has never been given the chance to gel with the team. I think his talent is far greater than what we have seen from him.

menefreghista
10-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Mista should have never been signed.

I'm convinced he was signed as a last ditch effort by Mo Johnston to save his job.

Joe Kool
10-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Good article. It is definitely frustrating to see all the other teams come in with their dangerous looking DP's playing majority if not all of the 90 min and we have our DP warming the bench and may not even get into the game. I have no idea what the deal is with Mista. He has some talent but there has to be something else going on. Even Maicon has been a bigger hit since coming here. I think they are just holding onto Mista for depth with our schedule the way it is and he will be gone at the end of the year IMO.

Chevy
10-01-2010, 07:19 PM
^^ Mista was a desperation signing.

that being said I think he could have success in this league on a team with some decent wingers. Getting him the ball at half really doesn't help him at all.

maninb
10-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Mista has prove that he doesnt have the pace or quickness to succeed in MLS...In la Liga he was allowed more time to distribute the ball...He has the right ideas but not the pace...

backbeat
10-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Mista has prove that he doesnt have the pace or quickness to succeed in MLS...In la Liga he was allowed more time to distribute the ball...He has the right ideas but not the pace...

not sure that i would agree with this at all - i think you need a lot more pace in La Liga than the MLS, it is a much faster - maybe the MLS is more physical but that's about it. there's a lot more quality in La Liga for sure.

rocker
10-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Mista is one of the slowest players in TFC history. Great skill on the ball, great footy IQ, but slow as molasses. That makes him a liability -- he can't receive a pass that isn't directly at him since he can't chase anything down. Then if he loses the ball he can't chase the opposing player back. So if he's not setting someone up perfectly or receiving a perfect ball in front of goal, he's lost out there. And we've also seen him flub some easy chances in front of goal even when it all comes together.

I think he's too much of a liability to keep. Dude turns 32 in a few weeks. I'll pass.

Hitcho
10-04-2010, 05:14 PM
I doubt any new GM/coach is going to want to keep Mista on based on what he gets paid vs what he has delivered. If they kept him, it would be a huge gamble with their salary cap structure and use of a DP slot, and there's just nothing to support such a gamble. He's as good as gone I would think, and probably knows it too, so is likely just trying not to get injured right now.

Shakes McQueen
10-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Good article.

As with most issues, I suspect everyone deserves some blame.

- Scott

jloome
10-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Mista is one of the slowest players in TFC history. Great skill on the ball, great footy IQ, but slow as molasses. That makes him a liability -- he can't receive a pass that isn't directly at him since he can't chase anything down. Then if he loses the ball he can't chase the opposing player back. So if he's not setting someone up perfectly or receiving a perfect ball in front of goal, he's lost out there. And we've also seen him flub some easy chances in front of goal even when it all comes together.

I think he's too much of a liability to keep. Dude turns 32 in a few weeks. I'll pass.

Slowest forwards, but I doubt he's among the slowest players. He's not speedy, but he's not slow as molasses. I've seen the guy beat defenders to balls and get past them, which means he's at least faster than some MLS defenders.

Really, he's overpaid based on the relative value of DP players to teams in this league. But he's a good technical player who could succeed in the right system --- where he's a second striker, designed to hold up the ball and dish to other forwards.