PDA

View Full Version : Concacaf investigates match fixing allegation in group A

Mikey
09-30-2010, 03:55 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/478477-concacaf-to-investigate-match-fixing-in-real-salt-lake-vs-araba-unido-game

TFCRegina
09-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Fascinating.

flatpicker
09-30-2010, 04:03 PM
hmmm... not much to the story at the moment.

Maybe we'll get lucky and both RSL and Arabe will be thrown out of the tournament,
leaving Toronto and Cruz Azul to move on.

:D

TFCRegina
09-30-2010, 04:05 PM

Maybe we'll get lucky and both RSL and Arabe will be thrown out of the tournament,

^ What do you want to bet this MLSE trying to get RSL tossed out! :D

Phil
09-30-2010, 04:06 PM

I really dont know how I feel about that...

Lucky Strike
09-30-2010, 04:09 PM
I thought for sure they were going to say the referee for the TFC match at Arabe Unido was bought off.

TFCRegina
09-30-2010, 04:12 PM
I thought for sure they were going to say the referee for the TFC match at Arabe Unido was bought off.

Same.

Azerban
09-30-2010, 04:14 PM
match fixing:CONCACAF::centipedes:your vagina

(it's more likely than you think)

DaBandit
09-30-2010, 04:17 PM

^^ if ever there was a game that looked like the ref was bought off, that was it.

Phil
09-30-2010, 04:22 PM
While there have been no reports of match fixing within the players, the CONCACAF is still investigating what they consider "third parties" in this situation. CONCACAF is already in the first phase of the interview.

They announced that there will be a second phase of the interview after videos showed "people entering a hotel although no players were present".

While the CONCACAF spokesperson has announced that they do everything to maintain the integrity of soccer, I am asking myself the question. Where is the proof of match fixing besides people entering a hotel room?

Who are the people of the "third parties" which are committing the match fixing?

I would suggest for any person wondering the signifigance of this, please read the book: The Fix.

flatpicker
09-30-2010, 04:31 PM
^ It's hard to understand the significance when I don't even understand what happened!

Fort York Redcoat
09-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Any story that brings attention to our regions officiating is ok by me.

Red Rat
09-30-2010, 04:58 PM
now I know what cocacaf means

Con CACA

Lucky Strike
09-30-2010, 05:02 PM
^^ if ever there was a game that looked like the ref was bought off, that was it.

And I meant what I said too, I didn't say it sarcastically to mock the referee's poor performance. I really did think, upon reading the headline, that was it.

TFCRegina
09-30-2010, 05:15 PM
And I meant what I said too, I didn't say it sarcastically to mock the referee's poor performance. I really did think, upon reading the headline, that was it.

Same.

redcard
09-30-2010, 06:42 PM
^ What do you want to bet this MLSE trying to get RSL tossed out! :D

hmmm....maybe thats why the increase the ticket price every year...there goal is to buy our way in the knockout stage and maybe playoffs?....

BS1327
09-30-2010, 07:11 PM
IF, and this is a HUGE IF, RSL was booted out, and TFC Advanced, we need a HUGE TIFO in Feburary saying, "IN BY DEFULT!!"

FluSH
09-30-2010, 07:14 PM

I honestly think so as well...

Blizzard
09-30-2010, 07:21 PM
I really dont know how I feel about that...

If it is a third party as the story alleges, is it not possible that the referee may be the party that was compromised? I'm looking forward to hearing more about this.

DaBandit
09-30-2010, 07:34 PM

Ya me too... I have watched a lot of foot in my time but that was one of the worst displays I have seen. Of course we are biased to a certain degree as fans of TFC, but that game was over the top. I wouldn't be surprised if the investigation lead them to reviewing that game as well. But who we kidding it's concacaf, it will just be swept under the carpet.

scooterTFC
09-30-2010, 07:36 PM
RooneyRPB mentioned Declan Hill's book, The Fix. Hill's contention is that one the most common 'fixes' is players from an underdog team taking money to ensure the underdog loses. Apparently group stages of tournaments are particualry ripe opportunity for fixers as underdog teams often find themselves playing meaningless (for them) games after they are already eliminated Hmmm....

scooterTFC
09-30-2010, 07:40 PM
RooneyRPB mentioned Declan Hill's book, The Fix. Hill's contention is that one the most common 'fixes' is players from an underdog team taking money to ensure the underdog loses. Apparently group stages of tournaments are particualry ripe opportunity for fixers as underdog teams often find themselves playing meaningless (for them) games after they are already eliminated Hmmm....

Oh yeah another point he makes is that teams from poor countries playing in international competitions are often targets of fixers as they can be bought for less money.

scooterTFC
09-30-2010, 07:51 PM

Based on assumption that the 'fix' was Arabe players (probably lowest paid players in the gorup) taking cash to deliver a guaranteed loss for gamblers the chances are RSL won't get eliminated. Arabe players get banned most likely. If the investigation moves quick enough they could eliminate Arabe, invalid all results for all matches involving that team in the group stage. I think that would mean Cruz advances and RSL goes through if they beat or draw Cruz at home or if RSL lsoes TFC advances.

Toronto Ruffrider
10-01-2010, 07:21 AM
Based on assumption that the 'fix' was Arabe players (probably lowest paid players in the gorup) taking cash to deliver a guaranteed loss for gamblers the chances are RSL won't get eliminated. Arabe players get banned most likely. If the investigation moves quick enough they could eliminate Arabe, invalid all results for all matches involving that team in the group stage. I think that would mean Cruz advances and RSL goes through if they beat or draw Cruz at home or if RSL lsoes TFC advances.

Given the way Arabe plays, I would be satisfied with that.

Hooligan69
10-01-2010, 07:37 AM
I bought a copy of "The Fix" but haven't sat down to read it yet. Now is the time. Anyway, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the TFC game was fixed. Had to be. There is nothing that would convince me otherwise.

Oldtimer
10-01-2010, 07:49 AM
While the CONCACAF spokesperson has announced that they do everything to maintain the integrity of soccer,:lol:

CONCACAF is probably the most corrupt federation, apart from maybe Asia.

I read "The Fix." Excellent book, and yes, CONCACAF is very likely to have a problem here.

I'm also almost certain that the TFC/Arabe match was fixed.

scooterTFC
10-01-2010, 08:58 AM
:lol:

CONCACAF is probably the most corrupt federation, apart from maybe Asia.

I read "The Fix." Excellent book, and yes, CONCACAF is very likely to have a problem here.

I'm also almost certain that the TFC/Arabe match was fixed.

I assume your implying the referee was on the take. Another option is that Preki took cash in exchange for starting the bench warmers over the starters :)

werewolf
10-01-2010, 11:21 AM
vz_b9c4uxhk

Highlights from the match. That 94th minute penalty is a bit suspect, though the camera angle doesn't help.

CONCACAF most corrupt? LOL someone isn't familiar with CAF.

London
10-01-2010, 11:24 AM
matchfixing for a US club, that would be a suprise

Dbl_D
10-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Basically if they void the Arabe results tfc 5 pints both rsl and cruz 4 points ... any result we're in...

stugautz
10-01-2010, 01:51 PM
I don't have any faith in CONCACAF to do something about this. Not unless this gets picked up by mainstream media in both the USA and Canada. How reliable is this site?

Technorgasm
10-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Homer: Default? Woo hoo! The two sweetest words in the English language: de-fault!

Mikey
10-01-2010, 03:32 PM
I don't have any faith in CONCACAF to do something about this. Not unless this gets picked up by mainstream media in both the USA and Canada. How reliable is this site?

Salt Lake tribune appears to have run with it the next day and got more info and better quotes. Whinydiveytwats FC's coaches are claiming they were approached and offered "loadsa money" at their hotel.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/50389252-77/rsl-arabe-concacaf-unido.html.csp

Reading between the lines it does not seem as if it will go any further.

ManUtd4ever
10-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Maybe Preki was involved in the alleged match fixing scandal. It would definitely explain the pathetic starting lineup he fielded in Panama...:D

Pookie
10-01-2010, 08:14 PM

Declan Hill was also interviewed on the FAN590 around the time of the 200 match investigation in Europe and he talked specifically about the MLS.

He said he knew of a player that was being paid for "information" by gamblers to the tune of about $40k year. The "info" was said to be about player status but as Hill points out in his book, when a player(s) is indebted to these guys, eventually they up the stakes.