PDA

View Full Version : distraction thread - your first / most memorable TFC or RPB experience!!

__wowza
09-30-2010, 11:33 AM
i know we have a whack of issues with the club right now, and as much as i feel we should concentrate on those as a group, to be perfectly honest.. it gets a bit taxing. when the team goes down, our morale goes down with it, we start arguing, we point fingers, cast blame, it's expected. so.. i propose a good ol' fashion distraction thread!!

post either your first or most memorable experience with the club and with the Red Patch Boys!! hopefully looking back at better days will cheer us up a bit and help us through what's bound to be a long road ahead.

most memorable TFC experience:
- the montreal miracle waking up in a tree incident.
- the Cruz Azul game (90 minutes of sheer MADNESS!).
- the 4-1 win over chicago (the Labrocca wind assist and Barrett netting two) in the pouring rain.

most memorable RPB experience: the dichio banner..
- OH GOD. i remember it was the first time i actually took part in a banner session. i mentioned it to my girlfriend and a friend, they both came to help out. i remember going over the specs of it and having my girlfriend go "wait.. it's HOW BIG!?" (she's an artist and knows what a job of that size means for man hours/supplies). three amazing sessions, and it was done. we had tickets to the game with a group of our friends and when that thing went up the six of us just stood there in awe. fuck, that was mental.

first memorable RPB experience: streamer shower at the PR game
- the streamer shower for the PR islanders game. i ran out and got a couple hundred streamers with a few friends with the intention of getting the first two rows of the top deck to plummet em downwards. i was taping instructions on them at joes so random fans could time them with the RPB's and i'd asked for help handing them out on the forums. so this guy was eying me when i walked into joes with a garbage bag full of streamers and emptied it on the table. he walks over and goes "hey, you must be wowza (extends hand) i'm pookie, need a hand?" not gonna lie, before i met him, i thought pookie was a girl. i also remember after that getting a text from king dave saying it looked good, and being kinda disappointed that it wasn't typed in all caps like his old threads. :D

H Bomb
09-30-2010, 11:35 AM
why i'd want to associate my happy memories with this place/time is beyond me. Now pissed off IS the appropriate response. We'll talk happiness next time we're happy. Enjoy the thread.

TFCRegina
09-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Interestingly enough my first was also my most interesting.

Montreal Miracle.

Roogsy
09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
I do agree it is very wearing. I feel exhausted by this team and it's shenanigans. I hope your thread has success because I would like to benefit from reading it. But right now, I can barely remember the last time I felt joy surrounding this team.

Ben - D.O.W.
09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
The pitch invasion after the 2-2 tie with New England as the last home game of 2007 has to be up there for me.

Kansas City last year was a blast, as is Boston every year. Philadelphia this year not so much.

Sally Mack
09-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Sitting in the south end, watching Pablo Vitti skin 3 players, thinking to myself "finally, we're playing up to our potential", only to see him send a sitter 3 ft wide of net.

__wowza
09-30-2010, 11:56 AM
I do agree it is very wearing. I feel exhausted by this team and it's shenanigans. I hope your thread has success because I would like to benefit from reading it. But right now, I can barely remember the last time I felt joy surrounding this team.

why i'd want to associate my happy memories with this place/time is beyond me. Now pissed off IS the appropriate response. We'll talk happiness next time we're happy. Enjoy the thread.

fair enough. that's why there's a RPB memory option. when you sign on to support a team, you know there's bound to be bad days. i just didn't know that their would be so many. but.. remember what harvey dent said!

"the night is always darkest just before the dawn!!"

and everything turned out alright for him in the end, right?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCQRo32weOvzfzTFzPFu0Qh3DB8VroI 11DhfLleEfJ7tTXwT8&t=1&usg=__zE7S7kl2oZQGB6TEQ8E6Vnvs4sw=

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3pRRtOzpa6o57LguStCw_mjotbhq1P rq4zbW6wgo2EU_GZHg&t=1&usg=__PmXFiOogkQQBtEuJSA2GhtbLymM=

nevermind.

ensco
09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
First game ever at BMO (not the Chicago game, it was against KC). Team had been putrid in its first 3 games, all on the road.

Blustery day, you needed gloves. Nobody knows what to expect. Everyone is looking around at the view, at their neighbours. It's like first day of school. Exciting, but kind of a weird feeling.

It's this new guy Dichio's first game. He's punishing the KC backline on every ball in the air. Right away, everybody sees it: a murmur goes up. This guy is a football player.

Second half 0-0. The first great chant starts wafting across the stadium: "All we are saying, is give us a goal". Fantastic!

Eddie Johnson scores late. But gets a beer shower! Fantastic!

That was a game we lost, but that was a great day.

deltox
09-30-2010, 12:01 PM
the 1st game ever.

TFC - CHIVAS at the elephant and castle

Oldtimer
09-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Watching TFC play on a grainy video feed from Charleston in early 2007.
Our first chance to see our real live team.

I was quite invested in that as I had made several long distance calls to the Battery to convince them to include non-Battery matches (including TFC's first match).

billyfly
09-30-2010, 12:02 PM
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/photosizer/upload/menin042110.jpg

Roogsy
09-30-2010, 12:05 PM
First game ever at BMO (not the Chicago game, it was against KC). Team had been putrid in its first 3 games, all on the road.

Blustery day, you needed gloves. Nobody knows what to expect. Everyone is looking around at the view, at their neighbours. It's like first day of school. Exciting, but kind of a weird feeling.

It's this new guy Dichio's first game. He's punishing the KC backline on every ball in the air. Right away, everybody sees it: a murmur goes up. This guy is a football player.

Second half 0-0. The first great chant starts wafting across the stadium: "All we are saying, is give us a goal". Fantastic!

the 1st game ever.

TFC - CHIVAS at the elephant and castle

+1 on both of these.

AL-MO
09-30-2010, 12:06 PM
I say you leave the distractions for the offseason Wowza.

Stouffville_RPB
09-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Favorite TFC Moments
- Cruz Azul
- Pablo Vitti scoring what should've been his first goal and how nuts I went only to be called offside.
- How unstoppable Rohan Ricketts was against Colorado. That must've pissed them off royaly.

Favorite TFC/RPB Moments
- Trips to Columbus and Chicago
- Season opener v KC viewing party @ Joe's
- Celebrating the Mircle in Montreal with the York Region Chapter
- Seeing Dichio come out when the banner was raised.

Favorite RPB Moments
- Every tailgate last season
- Tournaments with the Red Patch Army
- Beer pong/wolf shirt at the end party

maninb
09-30-2010, 12:12 PM
DD's first ever goal...followed by 10 minutes of sheer madness....

DavydMT
09-30-2010, 12:18 PM
first and most memorable TFC experience is game vs Aston Villa, it was great to meet and speak with Dichio and all the Villa player after the game, i felt like a kid.

And the Dichio banner is probably one of my happiest moments in life to date, it was one perfect day.

Also kick about at the docks last winter. Thank you AL-MO.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs088.snc3/15545_196049637333_508122333_3202144_7798749_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v200/52/19/508122333/n508122333_482230_967.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v191/52/19/508122333/n508122333_482206_5831.jpg

daner90
09-30-2010, 12:23 PM

I understand being bitter because of some of the going on's this past season, but I really don't think we can be at the point where posting great memories can be such a negative thing.

For me the Miracle in Montreal is still my favorite memory. Going on that road trip thinking there wasn't a chance in hell we could win the cup, the rain and the absolute best display of united supporters in TFC history in the stands and on the subway...simply amazing.

Jeffro
09-30-2010, 12:34 PM
This thread feels like we're preparing a Eulogy...

pekduck
09-30-2010, 12:34 PM

Now that you mentioned it....

__wowza
09-30-2010, 12:58 PM

Now that you mentioned it....

hahaha. probably. nahh, i just think we all needed a bit of a pick-me-up! i still love the club and i still love the boys. perhaps we can get a "fondest memory of MLSE" thread. :smilewinkgrin:

fair enough. i was thinking the same too, but again, see ^^. if enough people think the same then the thread will eventually just kill itself off, till then i don't think that it's diverting our attention too much away from the real issues.

bgnewf
09-30-2010, 01:14 PM

This!

RPG_Markham
09-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Favorite TFC Moments would be my first game, dressing in red, and seeing Dichio score. Learning the chants in the various supporters sections I've watched games in. And always taking newbies to the games, and introducing them to a fun and exciting event to be at.

__wowza
09-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Favorite TFC Moments would be my first game, dressing in red, and seeing Dichio score. Learning the chants in the various supporters sections I've watched games in. And always taking newbies to the games, and introducing them to a fun and exciting event to be at.

taking newbies to the game is the best. they ALWAYS point out the supporter sections and how crazy they are/look. i've officially popped 11 TFC cherries!!

Mark in Ottawa
09-30-2010, 03:21 PM
I saw the first goal on TV and was amazed at the madness that ensued... it started me looking to become a member of a supporters group.

My first game... in the rain... courtesy of an RPB member who got me a pair of tickets to see Carl Robinson score and his truly funny celebration afterward.

Being at the top of 110 with the other 75 Mile Bastards when the Dichio Banner covered the south end... that was grand. As was the day we witnessed the "barnoculars" being put to good use.

Almost any tailgate party. Helping to set up after the 4+ hour drive from Ottawa and just how good the food always tasted... even the vegetarian stuff ;)

Yes there have been some good times but a lot of heartache as well.
The frustration of always being stuck buying "ransom pack" tickets still rankles. And now the end of year 4 of the 5 year plan... and where we are. :(