PDA

View Full Version : PROTEST - the next step. A call to arms..

ochos
09-30-2010, 10:40 AM
I haven't seen anything definite enough yet, but frankly with things at a boiling point it's time we banded together and make a very public, highly publicized stance on the issues at hand.

There is more than enough time between now and the next home game/MLS cup to organize, not to mention the amount of anger and energy that has gone as far as making it's way to the mainstream press in this city.

Personally, I would be willing to go as far as to "walk the line" outside concessions at BMO, create letter/flyer campaigns to distribute through the stadium and help setup websites to promote our cause. Fairweather fans and SG members alike need to be a part of the solution otherwise the divide and conquer concept will prevail and ultimately ruin our team. We have to present a solution to all TFC fans, not just members on this board.

I present a few options I see as the most popular and prevelant opinions I've seen on the board to date. I will be renewing my season's tickets and I would prefer to go to all games (including the MLS Cup), but we need to get a more clear idea as to what the group concensus is.

WHAT IS THE BEST FORM OF PROTEST FOR THE END OF THE YEAR?

I have not included things like not renewing seasons tickets or not doing anything at all. If those are your answers then please do not respond to this poll.

Thanks,

Azerban
09-30-2010, 10:44 AM
break or steal an amount of MLSE things >= your cost of season tickets

done

razor787
09-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Black shirts at the mls cup. No singing (unless it's anti-MLSE). Banners against MLSE and the suits.

Those things are a must in my eyes. Someone also brought up protesting infront of the ACC on the night of the leafs home opener. That would be a great idea as well.

CretanBull
09-30-2010, 10:47 AM
I was going to de-rail your thread by saying that even if you don't want to hear it, the BEST form of protest is to not renew. Having read Azerban's response, I now believe that not renewing is the second best form of protest.

Parkdale
09-30-2010, 10:48 AM
I've said this in a few places

a Protest at BMO is inefficient because people will cheer for the team (and we need to make sure the team knows we are not angry with them, but with the owners).

If we really wanted to make our voices heard, with a single message of discontent.... it can't be during a game.

two words: RealSports

Azerban
09-30-2010, 10:49 AM

lob a beer bottle into their giant tv and book it

that'll cover my suggestion for at least this year

H Bomb
09-30-2010, 10:50 AM
break or steal an amount of MLSE things >= your cost of season tickets

done

wait til after the 15th of Oct (renewal day) and then destroy the MLSE servers, accounts stations. And then have everyone claim they paid in a lump sum for the whole season. Or just clear their building late at night and bring it down.

Parkdale
09-30-2010, 10:52 AM
okay guys..... let's not get too carried away with the destruction of things..... let's save the thread for things that will actually make a difference

H Bomb
09-30-2010, 10:53 AM
you think anything short of destruction will make a difference? Stop playing their game by their rules peoples. Destroy destroy destroy

jabbronies
09-30-2010, 10:54 AM
I thought that the Newcastle fans have done well with their protests over ownership the past few years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tyne/7613887.stm

basic and simple. We do a huge banner that tells off MLSE. and then everyone makes their own signage - doesn't have to be fancy - so that the message is seen everywhere.

Then we get some dead simple chants going in stadium, then we take our protest to gate 4? (exec entrance) after the game and continue the protest from there.

Azerban
why not, everyone else is posting things that will never happen because we're lazy internet nerds

Roogsy
I am going to use the toilet and NOT wash my hands. That'll show'em!

Azerban
09-30-2010, 10:56 AM

only if you work food service near the club seats

Heathen
09-30-2010, 10:56 AM

Cool, I've been protesting all these years and never knew it

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-30-2010, 10:57 AM
The biggest statment to me would be to attend the Columbus game then walk out!.... But im willing to do whatever the group decides

btw i hit the wrong vote...

i wanted...

I'd be willing to attend/not attend the Columbus game depending on group concensus

ochos
09-30-2010, 10:58 AM
I thought that the Newcastle fans have done well with their protests over ownership the past few years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tyne/7613887.stm

basic and simple. We do a huge banner that tells off MLSE. and then everyone makes their own signage - doesn't have to be fancy - so that the message is seen everywhere.

Then we get some dead simple chants going in stadium, then we take our protest to gate 4? (exec entrance) after the game and continue the protest from there.

Great suggestions - I would like to continue making BMO a great atmosphere, and protest in game. The worst thought is BMO taking a a nose dive a la the NHL/Maple Leafs moving to ACC. TFC will not survive like the Leafs if the atmosphere suffers..

tfcmanu
09-30-2010, 10:58 AM
2 Words..... BROWN PAPER Bags!

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/02/05/sports/05bagA/05bagA-articleLarge.jpg

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-30-2010, 10:59 AM
I think this should be in the membership section ....

Wull
09-30-2010, 11:02 AM
How about standing outside for the first half of the columbus game or something? (I'd say 20 minutes but that wouldn't be any different from the norm!!)

Menelaos
09-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Don't go to the MLS cup.
If you bought a ticket, eat it. I know this is hard to ask for, but if you are not prepared to do this, then you really aren't prepared to protest and put your money where your mouth is.
Nothing would get them more...NOTHING...then to have an empty house on their big day.

mastermixer
09-30-2010, 11:05 AM
How about waiting until the absolute last minute to renew your tickets for next year. Make them earn our money by calling and causing concern about renewal numbers to the high up suits.
If they see anger on here, but see a decent renewal so far its all for nothing.

P-NUTZ
09-30-2010, 11:05 AM

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/02/05/sports/05bagA/05bagA-articleLarge.jpg
thats actually really spot on in many ways - clear to the point among sports fans everywhere.

mastermixer
09-30-2010, 11:06 AM
How about standing outside for the first half of the columbus game or something? (I'd say 20 minutes but that wouldn't be any different from the norm!!)

East end has been doing this for the past two seasons! lol

DavydMT
09-30-2010, 11:09 AM
PLEASE ADD AN OPTION
- NO MORE PROTEST THREADS -
Please close.

Come to Academy game on Sunday

jabbronies
09-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Let's be honest here. We've seen a dozen and one protest threads over the past two years.

Things that never work for us
- Boycotting games
- walking out of games
- not buying beer
- wearing black
- not chanting at all during the games

Things that do work
- Signage
- Protest chants

Let's focus on what we do best.

Roogsy
09-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Let's be honest here. We've seen a dozen and one protest threads over the past two years.

Things that do work
- Signage
- Protest chants

Is "things that work" meaning that things that we can actually do well? You're not really indicating effectiveness right?

razor787
09-30-2010, 11:24 AM

Things that never work for us
- Boycotting games
- walking out of games
- not buying beer
- wearing black
- not chanting at all during the games

Things that do work
- Signage
- Protest chants

I agree that the boycott, walking, beer ban, and being quiet wont work. But for the MLS Final, I think wearing black would work quite well. Not many people would have the jerseys for the two teams anyway, and since its not a TFC game, people would be ok with not wearing red.

What I think we should do
- Black shirts
- Banners/2 sticks/black flags (those would be REALLY noticeable)
- Several easy to memorize protest chants

Azerban
09-30-2010, 11:27 AM
we can hardly get people wearing all red for a normal game, much less a completely different colour

black flags and two sticks is an amazing idea though

also i have no idea why people can't not buy beer, you bitch about your tickets going up a hundred bucks and then two fist beers every game? fuck off

menefreghista
09-30-2010, 11:29 AM
How could you even do a black t-shirt protest at the MLS Cup.

Everyone will be wearing parkas for that game.

Pookie
09-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Personally, I think an extremely effective protest would be if you could get the masses to forego going to the game.

I'd arrange for the informed SGs to the go TO the MLS Cup Game but not go inside. Have Media "cheat sheets" available and you are surely to draw the attention of the ESPN cameras to the plight. Extremely negative brand exposure for MLSE (as a brand) and something that the single entity owner (MLS) would surely be concerned about.

jabbronies
09-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Is "things that work" meaning that things that we can actually do well? You're not really indicating effectiveness right?

ummmm is this a trick question?

What is the point of this whole initiative anyways?
To get MLSE hearing our cries? MLS? Media?

If we have many banners, and the media writes about it and it shows up on MLSSoccer.com, we can assume MLSE will hear about it, that's assuming they aren't in the stadium during the games to see it for themselves. Isn't that getting the message across?

As for MLSE actually doing something about it...if there's enough pressure, won't they crack? or is that wishful thinking?

TBH I've never seen anything done by supporters in this city that has come close to being effective.

Carts
09-30-2010, 11:40 AM

PRICELESS...

Could you imagine 112, 111, lower 113, upper 110 & upper 109 all wearing the 'Paper bag' over our heads...

That would look hilarious...

AND, the American broadcaster would ove it - theyd' be all over it...

Carts...

DangerRed
09-30-2010, 11:42 AM
we can hardly get people wearing all red for a normal game, much less a completely different colour

black flags and two sticks is an amazing idea though

also i have no idea why people can't not buy beer, you bitch about your tickets going up a hundred bucks and then two fist beers every game? fuck off

I agree. Have stuck to my $0 a game plan for a while now and it works great. You pregame at The Brazen Head or Joe's and spend nothing at the stadium.

spark
09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Don't go to the MLS cup.
If you bought a ticket, eat it. I know this is hard to ask for, but if you are not prepared to do this, then you really aren't prepared to protest and put your money where your mouth is.
Nothing would get them more...NOTHING...then to have an empty house on their big day.

I agree with this one 100% and am surprised this isn't the first choice.

I've always thought the best way to get your point across effectively is embarrass the $hit out of them. Picture the scene - All the big wigs and Garber and the stadium half empty.

DG - I thought you said this game was going to sell out!?
TA - It is .. I mean ... it is ...
DG - Didn't you make these tickets mandatory?
TA - we did!
DG - Well WTF!? Where is everyone?!?!
TA - Supply and Demand?
DG - what?
TA - Apples and Oranges?
DG - what are you on about?!?!
TA - Markets?

Vinny Dichio
09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
We should stage a "mock funeral" demonstration outside of the excec gate with a hearse parked near BMO carrying a casket with the scribing "TFC: 2007 - 2010" and have everyone dress in black as if they were attending a funeral.

A bit of a stretch and probably not likely to happen but it would be cool to see.

nimamalek
09-30-2010, 11:44 AM
no beer no gear til the playoffs are here

Wull
09-30-2010, 11:45 AM

I've always thought the best way to get your point across effectively is embarrass the $hit out of them. Picture the scene - All the big wigs and Garber and the stadium half empty.

TA - we did!
TA - Supply and Demand?
DG - what?
TA - Apples and Oranges?
TA - Markets?

:smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:

Sally Mack
09-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I agree. Have stuck to my $0 a game plan for a while now and it works great. You pregame at The Brazen Head or Joe's and spend nothing at the stadium.
Or better yet, just smuggle in a mickey. But I'd never do such a thing.:D

jabbronies
09-30-2010, 11:47 AM
We should stage a "mock funeral" demonstration outside of the excec gate with a hearse parked near BMO carrying a casket with the scribing "TFC: 2007 - 2010" and have everyone dress in black as if they were attending a funeral.

A bit of a stretch and probably not likely to happen but it would be cool to see.

Yes:canada:

Roogsy
09-30-2010, 11:47 AM

TA - we did!
TA - Supply and Demand?
DG - what?
TA - Apples and Oranges?
TA - Markets?

:lol:

OMG, I've been laughing for 3 minutes straight since reading this...

Roogsy
09-30-2010, 11:48 AM
no beer no gear til the playoffs are here

That would make a great banner.

AL-MO
09-30-2010, 12:02 PM
I think this should be in the membership section ....

Or at least the RPB public section where you at least have to be an RU (love you guys :)) to see it.

Oldtimer
09-30-2010, 12:26 PM
http://www.24thminute.com/2010/09/letter-bag-boycotting-mls-cup-is-not.html

Why we shouldn't boycott the MLS Cup (hint, it hurts us more than helps us).

flatpicker
09-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Maybe we could all wear Anselmi masks with assorted messages around our necks.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/brushstroke-man/ensalmi.jpg

(btw... apologies to whoever the actual person is in this photo)

pekduck
09-30-2010, 12:37 PM
PRICELESS...

Could you imagine 112, 111, lower 113, upper 110 & upper 109 all wearing the 'Paper bag' over our heads...

That would look hilarious...

AND, the American broadcaster would ove it - theyd' be all over it...

Carts...

don't wear them into the stadium, but carry it in. bring large size markers in as well

assemble in stands, we have enough people to have 1 big letter on each person to make some well crafted messages

Heathen
09-30-2010, 12:38 PM
http://www.24thminute.com/2010/09/letter-bag-boycotting-mls-cup-is-not.html

Why we shouldn't boycott the MLS Cup (hint, it hurts us more than helps us).

I think I could quite easily live with those consequences.

Basically when it comes down to it protesting about being forced to buy MLS Cup tickets in any other way than one which directly impacts that specific game doesn't make any sense at all.

Roogsy
09-30-2010, 12:41 PM
I think I could quite easily live with those consequences.

Basically when it comes down to it protesting about being forced to buy MLS Cup tickets in any other way than one which directly impacts that specific game doesn't make any sense at all.

Tough choice but I am still for boycotting the game. If the threat isn't enough to make TFC get off their asses and do something more than send a weak "you didnt understand" email, then they deserve to lose the opportunity to screw us again.

Davenport
09-30-2010, 12:49 PM
The only way to really protest is don't enter the stadium.
Protest outside if you have to, but just don't go inside.
The sight of rows and rows of empty seats will send a message quicker than any banner and more importantly it will show MLS what a shit job MLSE have done here.
MLSE will gag when they know the stayaways won't be buying their overpriced beer and food.

flatpicker
09-30-2010, 12:52 PM
I just worry that having a group of us stay away from the game will be insignificant compared to the number of fans that actually attend.

H Bomb
09-30-2010, 12:55 PM
I dont like the staying away idea because im implies complacancy. If everyone goes, sits very quietly in black and makes no noise, except for before the game, during half time, and after the game protesting MLSE. if people dont show up then they control the story. The idea sent is we dont care enough to show up, even if that's not true, its an easy thing to think. So show up, and make it the most bland, uselessly filled stadium in history. ....is my 2 cents.

Darlofletch
09-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Personally, I think an extremely effective protest would be if you could get the masses to forego going to the game.

I'd arrange for the informed SGs to the go TO the MLS Cup Game but not go inside. Have Media "cheat sheets" available and you are surely to draw the attention of the ESPN cameras to the plight. Extremely negative brand exposure for MLSE (as a brand) and something that the single entity owner (MLS) would surely be concerned about.

Yep. I'm going to go to the game, but best way to protest and draw attention would be to actually show up, but just hang out outside, have some kind of tv friendly stunt, set up. In a different thread, I earlier jokingly suggested an eating contest with supporters literally eating their tickets, but something like that would work, have a shredder, or a barrel fire for people to ostentatiously throw their tickets away into. make it entertaing enough and maybe I'd join in rather than go to the game.

Davenport
09-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Eating the tickets.....genius !
Better than the shite they serve !

rviewmirror
09-30-2010, 01:04 PM
If Beckham vs. Henry make the final - the place will be packed. staying away would not be effective in that scenario.

__wowza
09-30-2010, 01:04 PM
TA - we did!
TA - Supply and Demand?
DG - what?
TA - Apples and Oranges?
TA - Markets?

:rolleyes: i started laughing, but then i stopped because, well.. the conversation would pretty much sound exactly like this.

RicoSuave44
09-30-2010, 01:06 PM
I like the idea of a protest outside either gate 3 or gate 1 during the first half of the Columbus game.

Basically like the drum circle parties we have after winning matches (remember those?) except with protest signs and anti-MLSE songs

craigtfc
09-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Everyone have a $20 bill and wave it in the air.

J .
09-30-2010, 01:07 PM
flaming dog poo at the front of BMO

Red Rat
09-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Hire a Santa, bring him to BMO with a sign
Free 2011 Season Packages and hand out vaseline and condoms to people.

rr

flatpicker
09-30-2010, 02:15 PM
I think we should start singing the chorus to this song:

yEitrZU-nCw

Get better!
Get better!
Get better!
Get BE-TTER!

trane
09-30-2010, 02:17 PM
An empty stadium for the MLS cup would be a HUGE embarassment for MLSE. I cannot think of a more effective protest. BUT the stadium must be close to empty. NO or close to NO TFC fans/supporters.

Parkdale
09-30-2010, 02:32 PM
I wonder if there's going to be an outdoor 'concert stage' like at the MLS cup.

Imagine the barren wasteland that is a CNA parking lot in November,
then ask yourself.... "If a tree falls in the forrest, and nobody is there to hear it...

H Bomb
09-30-2010, 02:33 PM
I think we should start singing the chorus to this song:

Get better!
Get better!
Get better!
Get BE-TTER!

That's great. I tend to yell exactly that a couple times per game.

pekduck
09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
^
i think we have a higher chance of have a snow storm on that weekend than all the prospective protests.

Parkdale
09-30-2010, 02:43 PM
I wonder if some MLSE suit is talking to another one right now....

"What would it cost to get Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber to play the halftime show?"

brad
09-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Tough choice but I am still for boycotting the game. If the threat isn't enough to make TFC get off their asses and do something more than send a weak "you didnt understand" email, then they deserve to lose the opportunity to screw us again.

That's what I am doing. I've already emailed the MLS and informed them of this. It's a small thing, but I've done my part.

If enough people were to do that, that would likely be the leverage needed for them to engage MLSE.

But most people won't do that.

brad
09-30-2010, 02:46 PM
An empty stadium for the MLS cup would be a HUGE embarassment for MLSE. I cannot think of a more effective protest. BUT the stadium must be close to empty. NO or close to NO TFC fans/supporters.

Only if the weather holds, unfortunately. If it is bad, they'll have their excuse.

Bars92
09-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Wear Argos merch at BMO.

Red Rat
09-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Only if the weather holds, unfortunately. If it is bad, they'll have their excuse.

yes but they promised sun and 24 degrees to MLS, so even if they weather sucks they still look like fools.

rr

Flipityflu
09-30-2010, 05:05 PM
stop paying for tickets, stop going to games...the bottom line is all MLSE cares about.

nothing else works.

which is why no matter what some of you think, a RPB protest is a waste of time, since most of you aren't willing to do that.

nimamalek
09-30-2010, 05:05 PM
That would make a great banner.

let's make it happen!!!

kaos197O
09-30-2010, 06:38 PM
I like paper bags and banners with anti MLSE chanting.

Huge Red Cards issued to Management at different points throughout the game. Or thousands of construction paper sized Red Cards (edges rounded of course) throughout the east and south. Or BOTH!

A Loonie banner, or several, amidst the fray.

Also no need to be concerned about getting in with most of these item if we have large groups enter each gate En Masse. If they try to stop us it will hold up lines and people will not be able to get in, all the while we're chanting anti MLSE songs. We will stop "ONLY if they let us in with our items!

Could get ugly but this is a "PROTEST" right?

Don Julio
09-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Two ideas:

Everyone show up with backpacks and purses full of stuff making the lines for entry ridiculous for everyone, and keeping the whole stadium empty.

Everyone show up in suits and talk/text the entire game in the south end in silence.

That said, I'm not crazy about a protest. Sure, there's the price thing, but ultimately that will sort itself out when they realize they can't sell all the tickets this time. On field performance? Well they can't really do much more than getting rid of Mo & Preki.

kaos197O
09-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Two ideas:
Well they can't really do much more than getting rid of Mo & Preki.
You're right! The only thing that was left after their dismissal was paying out their contracts, which they have conveniently passed on to us through their increases.

MO WINS AGAIN :picard:

CoachGT
09-30-2010, 07:24 PM
I agree that the boycott, walking, beer ban, and being quiet wont work. But for the MLS Final, I think wearing black would work quite well. Not many people would have the jerseys for the two teams anyway, and since its not a TFC game, people would be ok with not wearing red.

What I think we should do
- Black shirts
- Banners/2 sticks/black flags (those would be REALLY noticeable)
- Several easy to memorize protest chants

Seems that was tried for the MLS All Star game here a couple of years ago. Wearing black, that is. Then the league changed the All Star team jerseys to black.............

With our luck, Columbus makes it to the final and wears their black jersesys.

BS1327
09-30-2010, 07:32 PM
I wonder if some MLSE suit is talking to another one right now....

"What would it cost to get Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber to play the halftime show?"

"Well, we've already set prices for next season, so make a note of it and they can pay for it with their 2012 seats..."

Roogsy
09-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Ochos my man, sorry I had my inbox full. I am getting more PMs than I canread and delete before others come in.

Hopefully at some point, the members of the Red Patch Boys will have an answer as to what we are doing as a group, but whatever non-RPB decide will have a HUGE impact in terms of helping us determine what route to take.

So I am on board. Count me in.

Here is an idea that is a combination of things I have heard over the past few days, how about this:

All supporters, members of a group or not, meet outside of Gate 3 before the Arabe or Columbus game and we all wait for at least 15 minutes after the game starts singing "TFC is in the wrong hands". When the 15 minutes are up, we march in together into the supporter's sections? In the meantime, Ninamalek's banner is being held up in an empty bunker (112/113) with a message directed at TFC, held up by a single person all alone in the section.

mclaren
09-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Ochos my man, sorry I had my inbox full. I am getting more PMs than I canread and delete before others come in.

Hopefully at some point, the members of the Red Patch Boys will have an answer as to what we are doing as a group, but whatever non-RPB decide will have a HUGE impact in terms of helping us determine what route to take.

So I am on board. Count me in.

Here is an idea that is a combination of things I have heard over the past few days, how about this:

All supporters, members of a group or not, meet outside of Gate 3 before the Arabe or Columbus game and we all wait for at least 15 minutes after the game starts singing "TFC is in the wrong hands". When the 15 minutes are up, we march in together into the supporter's sections? In the meantime, Ninamalek's banner is being held up in an empty bunker (112/113) with a message directed at TFC, held up by a single person all alone in the section.

I like this for the Columbus game since there will be hardly anyone there for the Arabe game. But I might suggest making it a bit longer - maybe 25-30 mins in.

ochos
09-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Sounds great (maybe keep a couple people with the banner holder in case they start taking flak from someome??)

I think the Columbus game will have more people there so it makes more sense, hence why I didn't include it in the poll..

I'll personally be making a sandwich board standing outside beer lines asking people not to buy beer.

Last off, we need some great, great chants. Stuff that will have people shaking their heads at MLSE and and even make hockey fans sick to their stomach..

king dave
09-30-2010, 09:23 PM
I've said this in a few places

a Protest at BMO is inefficient because people will cheer for the team (and we need to make sure the team knows we are not angry with them, but with the owners).

If we really wanted to make our voices heard, with a single message of discontent.... it can't be during a game.

Eat a big dick.
KD.

ochos
09-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Two most popular options are protest at Columbus game and not go to MLS Cup game.. I present a good summation of ideas so far that will potentially allow both to happen..

For the Columbus game:
- pre-game protest campaign outside gate 1 (where the most traffic is)
- 25 min protest outside the offices, long enough that it wont look like late comers (sorry but Dichio will understand if we miss his chant this time, and I think a worthy first time)
- sandwich boards/leaflet handouts asking fans not to buy beer/merchandise
* THIS HAS TO BE NON-AGGRESSIVE, AND FRIENDLY EVEN TO THOSE BUYING STUFF
* WE CAN SUGGEST TO FANS WHERE TO PURCHASE FROM INDEPENDENT VENDORS
- Anti-MLSE chant right away so anyone by that point still doesn't know will hear us in full voice.
- DICHIO chant first once the anti-MLSE chant is over to show love
- Player chants for every player on the pitch thoughout the game
- no TFC chants or mention of Toronto
- Half Time - more campaigning telling people options to complain (petitions to lower season ticket prices? letters to ticket reps? demands for public apology?)

I want to reiterate that in no way should any supporters start acting like G20 idiots and pick fights with other fans if they're not following suit, cops/security, etc.. Don't think of this as a reason to get trashed, throwing beers on the pitch and acting like anarchists.. you're only giving fodder for the wrong headlines in the morning.

Last - if the group leaders feel it wise, release a presser prior to the game to update them on our full concerns, and to dispell any potential unfavourable actions by rogue fans.

As for the MLS Cup game, things will be a little unpredictable if we follow through with the above, so I leave that as an afterthought

crozack
09-30-2010, 09:51 PM
I have 9 guys in my row that i can convince to wait at gate 3 for the first 15/20 mins of the Columbus game.
What a statement that would be for MLSE if the entire Southend was empty for that finally game.
Lets do it!

razor787
09-30-2010, 09:55 PM
I dont like this idea too much myself, and dont think others will like it either, but I dont think it would hurt to get several ideas on the table...

For the Columbus match, what if we all wore yellow. Bring some signs in saying something like "We arent like leaf fans" and other Anti-MLSE signs.

Having 112 filled with the opposing teams shirts would really kick MLSE in the balls, but i dont know if anyone would be able to stomach wearing yellow.

THA BUTCHA
09-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Here's my protest:

Dropping 4 of my most expensive tickets in 109 for next season (MLSE loses $4500)
Not showing up to anymore games this season (MLSE loses $200)
burning my MLS final tickets "literally"

Trust me guys you wanna protest

STAY HOME ,!!

mclaren
09-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Here's my protest:

Dropping 4 of my most expensive tickets in 109 for next season (MLSE loses $4500)

STAY HOME ,!!

I am not renewing and Columbus will be my last game as a season ticket holder - I would like to use that game to protest. So, essentially doing both.

Jeff s
09-30-2010, 10:30 PM
I rather just not show up for the rest of the games ( assuming tfc are out before Columbus game ), This includes mls final.

Torontotonto
09-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Here's my protest:

STAY HOME ,!!

Are your tickets for the rest of this year (1MLS/1CC) not alreay paid for ? I don't understand how MLSE would lose anything.

boozilla
09-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Hmmm,
Protesting during 2 academy games and a frigid MLS cup noone gives a shit about?
See you next year. I have better things to do.

Heathen
10-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Are your tickets for the rest of this year (1MLS/1CC) not alreay paid for ? I don't understand how MLSE would lose anything.

They lose face, not as good as money I admit but something at least

TFC_Central
10-01-2010, 06:18 AM
i chuckled a bit at the title, this is Toronto, the talking but not doing capitol of the world. As usually no one will have any balls to do crap. A slew of excuses will be thrown around. In the end it boils down to this. Why protest being mlse's bitch when, after all you know you like it :hump:

ochos
10-01-2010, 06:28 AM
i chuckled a bit at the title, this is Toronto, the talking but not doing capitol of the world. As usually no one will have any balls to do crap. A slew of excuses will be thrown around. In the end it boils down to this. Why protest being mlse's bitch when, after all you know you like it :hump:

Keep comments like this out of this thread. This is not the protest the debate thread - this is thread to gauge what kind of protest to engage in.

Save your bitch comments for somewhere else, and use the correct spelling of 'capital' where required.

Kooper
10-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Two most popular options are protest at Columbus game and not go to MLS Cup game.. I present a good summation of ideas so far that will potentially allow both to happen..

For the Columbus game:
- pre-game protest campaign outside gate 1 (where the most traffic is)
- 25 min protest outside the offices, long enough that it wont look like late comers (sorry but Dichio will understand if we miss his chant this time, and I think a worthy first time)
- sandwich boards/leaflet handouts asking fans not to buy beer/merchandise
* THIS HAS TO BE NON-AGGRESSIVE, AND FRIENDLY EVEN TO THOSE BUYING STUFF
* WE CAN SUGGEST TO FANS WHERE TO PURCHASE FROM INDEPENDENT VENDORS
- Anti-MLSE chant right away so anyone by that point still doesn't know will hear us in full voice.
- DICHIO chant first once the anti-MLSE chant is over to show love
- Player chants for every player on the pitch thoughout the game
- no TFC chants or mention of Toronto
- Half Time - more campaigning telling people options to complain (petitions to lower season ticket prices? letters to ticket reps? demands for public apology?)

I want to reiterate that in no way should any supporters start acting like G20 idiots and pick fights with other fans if they're not following suit, cops/security, etc.. Don't think of this as a reason to get trashed, throwing beers on the pitch and acting like anarchists.. you're only giving fodder for the wrong headlines in the morning.

Last - if the group leaders feel it wise, release a presser prior to the game to update them on our full concerns, and to dispell any potential unfavourable actions by rogue fans.

As for the MLS Cup game, things will be a little unpredictable if we follow through with the above, so I leave that as an afterthought

Why don't we take JDG's suggestions and wait outside the stadium to protest and sing after the game until they explain themselves.

TOBOR !
10-01-2010, 07:05 AM
here's my approach to this... it's like when you sit down at the all-day breakfast place the day after doing it up large the night before and you can't decide what to order so you get the house special - Everything on one plate.

FUCK IT - LET'S DO EVERYTHING.

Demonstrate outside RS Cafe at the Leaf's home opener.
Black shirts and banners at the Columbus game (Oct. 16th)
Banners and chants at the Columbus game (Oct. 16th)
Don't go to the Arabe Unido game
Don't go to the MLS Cup Final
Demonstrate outside BMO at the MLS Cup Final*
leaflet / handouts
* Demonstrate outside BMO at the MLS Cup Final - How many people would it take to encircle the stadium, or at least clog the entry gates ? A bunch of anti MLSE placards with an arousing 'WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT' style chant.

All of that put together would get their attention (as well as make us feel a lot better).

Technorgasm
10-01-2010, 07:11 AM
wanna protest, go to a cSL game instead of MLS. . .

protests solve nothing but send bad vibes on to the field. .

Parkies outside gate 4 idea is the only thing I will support. Its not the players fault.

H Bomb
10-01-2010, 07:20 AM
I dont really understand the idea behind 20 minutes outside then people come inside. I'd appreciate if someone took me through why this is a protest. just basically the thought process behind it. It's always talked about, but I've never understood the idea behind it.

Section 110
10-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Don't go to the MLS cup.

You got it! This the way to do it - but someone needs to take the lead. The message will be broadcast not only to MLSE brass but to anyone else watching (including the MLS).

I'm in.

Section 110
10-01-2010, 07:34 AM
For those who are worried about hurting the players' feelings... this season is over, the players will get over it (might even respect it), and this is about the bigger, long term picture... isn't it? Pussy-footing around will get us no where as fans. If we don't show how ruthless we can be, then we might as well just pay for our 2011 tickets and enjoy what footy we've got left. Oh, and no more complaining either.

But, I'll tell you this: if there isn't any action now, there never will be and MLSE will know, with absolute certainty, that we are eating out of the palm of their pinky-ringed hand. So: who's prepared to man up? It's now or never, people.

TOBOR !
10-01-2010, 08:12 AM
I dont really understand the idea behind 20 minutes outside then people come inside. I'd appreciate if someone took me through why this is a protest. just basically the thought process behind it. It's always talked about, but I've never understood the idea behind it.

it shows that the group is organised
it illustrates what empty seats look like
it draws attention to the group and therefore the issue

H Bomb
10-01-2010, 08:47 AM
im not certain about the last one but i guess point 1 is a very good one. to show that there is an organized effort. I do really hope y'all do something in the coming weeks. For once protest of some kind seems the best option. Be interested to see how it goes. Good luck and all that.

Parkdale
10-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Parkies outside gate 4 idea is the only thing I will support. Its not the players fault.

that wasn't my idea. My idea was to go to RealSports and demand to watch the last TFC away game on the big screens (that jsut happens to be when the leafs are also playing out of town)

LCB
10-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Showing the group is organized is key. I don't think there's been anything close to a protest successful enough to say "Nothing but not renewing will have an impact..."

The last protest I was a part of didn't pan out (the All-Star game) as the temptation to cheer and sing and party proved too compelling. I'm on board with just about anything, black, sitting, silent, walk-outs, as long as it's organized and we all look like we have our shit together.

prizby
10-01-2010, 09:48 AM
jeez, i go away from the boards for 2 60 hours and I come back to this.

Enough of these fucking protests.

Lets protest this
and protest that
and then the protests turn out to be a fucking joke

and who has the last laugh...the FO

why does everything need a protest

protest has lost VALUE

i feel like this is a bunch of two year olds yelling and screaming about their lollipop being taken away

grow up!

Oldtimer
10-01-2010, 09:51 AM
The only effective protest was MO MUST GO.

Even then, U-Sector weren't on board with that one.

Parkdale
10-01-2010, 09:56 AM
how about this:

the people who are dead set on protesting, should take it on themselves to make something visible.

let me make one angry point here:

People rarely take it on themselves to make 2-sticks, even though it's so damn easy.
Some other supporters in the MLS seem to be in LOVE with 2sticks, and they make them all the time.
Seatttle and Chicago are both great examples of supporters who use 2sticks way more often than us.

So maybe this time, if YOU (who ever 'you' are) is mad enough to want a way to display it -- then break out the arts and crafts supplies and get building one!

If everyone is going to sit back and hope a giant banner of our displeasure appears,..... they'll be waiting a long time.

this time, people need to speak their own voices, and that will make the group as a whole seem louder.

AL-MO
10-01-2010, 09:59 AM

Lets protest this
and protest that

protest has lost VALUE

i feel like this is a bunch of two year olds yelling and screaming about their lollipop being taken away

grow up!

What was the last protest you were a part of?

mdc 77
10-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Protesting has value, it just has to be done effectively and intelligently.

I tend to believe the best method for protest in this case is to pick a match and protest before the game outside the stadium right up to game time.

Section225
10-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Protesting has value, it just has to be done effectively and intelligently.

I tend to believe the best method for protest in this case is to pick a match and protest before the game outside the stadium right up to game time.

what will that accomplish? NOTHING.

only way to properly protest is: DONT RENEW YOUR SEASON TICKETS.

...but we all know that won't happen.:picard:

LCB
10-01-2010, 10:17 AM

Yeah, I don't know. I don't know how everyone can say this authoratatively, considering it's really never been executed with any success.

Anyway, it's not my place to suggest or question what RPB do, as I'm not even a member. Whatever the decision is, my seats are in 112, and if there's a protest, I'll be on board.

H Bomb
10-01-2010, 10:21 AM
There should be a thread where if people feel like saying "the only way to protest is to not renew your season tickets" they go there and say it, and keep the other threads open to people who dont want to give up something they love because of other greedy people.

mdc 77
10-01-2010, 10:28 AM

That's more of a cop out then a protest.

ochos
10-01-2010, 10:36 AM

Lets protest this
and protest that

protest has lost VALUE

grow up!

It is true that we've talked about protesting, although I've never really seen it done properly. I think we've seen what holding out has done to the team - all the negative things that people said would happen are now starting to happen. If you don't think now is an appropriate time to stand up then you're clearly not on the same wavelength as many of us.

Also, as mentioned this thread is for people who DO want to protest. Please continue comments like this in another thread.

Thanks,

There should be a thread where if people feel like saying "the only way to protest is to not renew your season tickets" they go there and say it, and keep the other threads open to people who dont want to give up something they love because of other greedy people.

Exactly - let's keep this thread on topic and not derail things here.

Mango Kid
10-01-2010, 10:50 AM
The biggest statment to me would be to attend the Columbus game then walk out!....

Right after the Dichio chant, gone.

Mango Kid
10-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Don't go to the MLS cup.

I completely agree. Embarrass them to the entire league on the league's biggest day. Ideally with LA playing New York.

Parkdale
10-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I completely agree. Embarrass them to the entire league on the league's biggest day. Ideally with LA playing New York.

if it wasn't so cold, I think that a mass-pants-off would do that quite easily.

razor787
10-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Also, as mentioned this thread is for people who DO want to protest. Please continue comments like this in another thread.

A forum is where people go to discuss things. Both sides of the story are allowed in any thread. If someone things its a bad idea to protest, and thinks it will hurt the group, then they have just as much of a right to put their thoughts on the table as you do.

Lets protest this
and protest that

protest has lost VALUE

grow up!

Although I do agree that people have been talking about protests so much that it has lost value, showing the FO that them firing Mo/Preki hasnt fixed things is still the way to go. When they fired those two, they basically did that to silence the fans, before they raised the prices, so that they would be happy, and not care about getting raped.

TFC fans arent oblivious like leaf fans, we wont stand for that. (admittedly though, I will be getting seasons next season). They need to be told that people wont be going along with their bullshit anymore. If people just sit back, and do nothing (or drop their tickets) MLSE probally wont get the message. With tickets dropped, they will probally just think of it as something along the lines of "well the economy is bad, so they were probally executives from companies, that can no longer afford to take their customers out to games - but they will be back next year".

The only way in my eyes, to make sure they cant spin this any other way, is
to protest at either the Columbus or MLS Cup games.

BFin
10-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Or....we could just not buy tickets next year.

LCB
10-01-2010, 11:44 AM
http://i54.tinypic.com/312u61y.jpg

ochos
10-01-2010, 11:59 AM
A forum is where people go to discuss things. Both sides of the story are allowed in any thread. If someone things its a bad idea to protest, and thinks it will hurt the group, then they have just as much of a right to put their thoughts on the table as you do.

Agreed. But on this particular issue there have been many threads, and I would prefer this one focus on what to do in favour of protesting, which is why I started it.

king dave
10-01-2010, 12:00 PM
if it wasn't so cold, I think that a mass-pants-off would do that quite easily.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/4593560437_705b83534b.jpg
KD.

TOBOR !
10-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I wasn't at the DCU game, but I hear there was a raucous rendition of "We're Not Gonna Take It".

With that in mind, I propose, beginning at 112 (natch), at some point (I suggest the 75th minute) rank and file begin to chant 'We're not gonna take it, No, we're not gonna take it, we're not gonna take it anymore".

When they're properly loud, they begin to file out of their seats to the concourse. Once there, continuing to chant, they proceed in both directions around the stadium picking up anyone else who wants to join in the throng. It'll be easy to recognise by anyone in the stands and if they want to join in they can just leave their seats.

As the throng reaches the north end of the stadium the goal is to surround
the owner's box. NEE can move over to let more people in to chant.

We can take over the part of the Carlsberg patio under the north stand.

If we can get onto the patio area in front of them, then lets do that to.

Thoughts ?

Dbl_D
10-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Black shirts at the mls cup. No singing (unless it's anti-MLSE). Banners against MLSE and the suits.

Those things are a must in my eyes. Someone also brought up protesting infront of the ACC on the night of the leafs home opener. That would be a great idea as well.

forget that don't even go to cup and hope for a snow storm on the 21st... it'll be on tv...

Dbl_D
10-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Don't go to the MLS cup.
^+1 :)

razor787
10-01-2010, 01:16 PM
I wasn't at the DCU game, but I hear there was a raucous rendition of "We're Not Gonna Take It".

With that in mind, I propose, beginning at 112 (natch), at some point (I suggest the 75th minute) rank and file begin to chant 'We're not gonna take it, No, we're not gonna take it, we're not gonna take it anymore".

When they're properly loud, they begin to file out of their seats to the concourse. Once there, continuing to chant, they proceed in both directions around the stadium picking up anyone else who wants to join in the throng. It'll be easy to recognise by anyone in the stands and if they want to join in they can just leave their seats.

As the throng reaches the north end of the stadium the goal is to surround
the owner's box. NEE can move over to let more people in to chant.

We can take over the part of the Carlsberg patio under the north stand.

If we can get onto the patio area in front of them, then lets do that to.

Thoughts ?

I really like that idea. Have the group leave 112. Hopefully all of 113 will follow us, but theres a good chance they wont.

If they do, then 112 goes to one side and up, gathering people, and 113 goes the other way.

TOBOR !
10-01-2010, 02:11 PM
^ don't leave it to chance - tell them that's what we're gonna do and it's gonna be huge - be a part of it - get in MLSE's face on the last game of the season. Start spreading the word during the 2nd half. We can hand out leaflets if we need to.

Boris
10-01-2010, 02:15 PM
I really like that idea. Have the group leave 112. Hopefully all of 113 will follow us, but theres a good chance they wont.

If they do, then 112 goes to one side and up, gathering people, and 113 goes the other way.

you cant hope on this. its something that needs to be planned. This is why i would have to say that this is a long shot. The areas of people gone has to be large or else people will just fill the spots.

I have some ideas - i will take the weekend and will most likely formalize more at the end of the weekend. stay tuned

TFC/Everton
10-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Facebook Group for Toronto FC Fans who are sick of losing. Lets make a statement!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122487841138163

Technorgasm
10-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Ladies only shirts off = best protest ever.

in fact, forget protest, lets just make this happen.

razor787
10-01-2010, 02:26 PM
you cant hope on this. its something that needs to be planned. This is why i would have to say that this is a long shot. The areas of people gone has to be large or else people will just fill the spots.

I have some ideas - i will take the weekend and will most likely formalize more at the end of the weekend. stay tuned

I didnt mean hopefully we can coerce them that day. If that is something that we may want to strive to do, then we would need to talk to some of the higher up's in U-Sector to see if they would go along with it.

billyfly
10-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Ladies only shirts off = best protest ever.

in fact, forget protest, lets just make this happen.

We have a winner!

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af217/aptmoral/confetti.gif

__wowza
10-01-2010, 03:02 PM
:picard: these protests are going to fail so hard.

Brooker
10-01-2010, 03:15 PM

then it will fit right in at BMO Field 2010....2009....2008....2007.... oh dear.

Azerban
10-01-2010, 03:20 PM

that's because organizing people here is like herding particularly stubborn cats

everyone is a beautiful snowflake! just do your own thing! yay!

ochos
10-01-2010, 03:23 PM
^^^ one thing I would like to ask all the doubters, is what about the current trend doesn't worry you enough to get off your chair and do something?

Does it not occur to you that the stadium will be half empty almost every game next year unless things change dramatically? Are you basically implying that you have absolutely no balls to stick up for the team you've been a die-hard for now for 4 years?

The only protest I've gotten involved in over the past years was the one where we protested outside gate 4 - it was well organized and surely heard by head office. Things are at a much worse point now though.

If you'd like to sit back, relax and enjoy, then go ahead. I never do anything half-assed, so if you think I'm trying in vain, just watch...

H Bomb
10-01-2010, 03:28 PM

Thanks homey. Youre pretty great too.

TOBOR !
10-01-2010, 03:34 PM
(@ wowza) so sit back and watch - take it all in. Either way you'll be happy.

Azerban
10-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks homey. Youre pretty great too.

(not you, you're the snowflake that dropped over hamilton harbour)

s2cazz
10-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Turn the march to the Columbus game into a funeral procession for the death of pro footy in Toronto. Casket and all. Remind MLSE that they can kill it as fast as they made it popular. All black at the game and no chants period. Even anti MLSE. THATS WHAT I'D DO.

__wowza
10-01-2010, 04:13 PM
that's because organizing people here is like herding particularly stubborn cats

then it will fit right in at BMO Field 2010....2009....2008....2007.... oh dear.

(@ wowza) so sit back and watch - take it all in. Either way you'll be happy.

fellas, don't get me wrong. i love the fact that we're protesting.. but i've been saying it for the past couple of weeks now:

WHAT DO WE WANT?

protesting is akin to a hostage situation, you have to make demands. you have to WANT something. you can't take a hostage and then just say "i'm doing this because i'm mad, now recognize that i'm mad!". how are MLSE supposed to respond to that? "hey guys, we understand that you're mad, we'll do better". who would take that as an acceptable response? look at our past protests, we wanted:

grass - we got
a DP - we got
mo gone - we got

each of those three times we asked something of MLSE. are we asking for them to drop SSH prices? take the MLS cup game off of the SSH pricetag? are we asking them to field a proper team? a competent GM/coach? we won't accomplish anything because we aren't asking for anything. we aren't trying to find resolutions as to how they can make amends with the fans, we're just being angry.

we have several different supporters clubs launching several protest, and none of them are providing ways in which MLSE can fix this. until we start trying to find solutions instead of just saying "holy shit! look at the SSH packages" or "wow, so many players, so many coaches!" we're going to continue to be the angry toronto sports fan.

until then, i reiterate, that's why these protests are going to fail.

Azerban
10-01-2010, 04:18 PM
i want my $5 beers we were promised

__wowza
10-01-2010, 04:18 PM
said more eloquently by pekduck:

No defined objective or feasible result targets. Need to be result oriented with all actions. The anger and emotion was understood and well noted regarding to price increase and forced inclusion of MLS Cup tickets by media. Protesting or tifo for the sake to make a statement (but have no following up quantifiable demands or metrics of identifying results) and release the collective disgust and anger (release the emotion and finding camaraderie along with other victims of MLSE) in my mind is about as effective as Weight Watcher group support meetings taking place in a stadium.

I'm with ensco and Hal. The key is that all of us want to see change but want to utilize the protest and tifo to obtain tangible results. Group protest is just a negotiation medium to achieve results.

Just to air out the grief without obtaining feasible results is as effective as a sales person pays the tabs of all of his prospects but never ask to close the sale to bring in revenues.

Having said those, let's see what the final details of the day will be. I don't support a mindless protest but given it's a group, I'll still do it this time simply because we need to maintain a cohesive group culture. None of the "if I don't like it, then i won't participate" crap.

edit: well of course, if the final decision is to set MLSE's HQ on fire and committing arson, then I'm out, :lol:

s2cazz
10-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Here's a defined objective: how about a team that we aren't ashamed of. I'm not asking for a mls cup. I'm not asking for CCL Glory. All I want is a team that isn't a god damn embarrassment. Its disgusting and I for one do not want to be a Leafs fan.

menefreghista
10-01-2010, 04:25 PM
WHAT DO WE WANT?

protesting is akin to a hostage situation, you have to make demands.

I know what I want. I want the MLS Cup ticket to be an option. I want to not have to pay for tickets for games that may never occur (CCL matches in package). I want a freeze on price increases until the onfield product appears to be moving in the right direction.

I also want the FO to actually appear to care about the fans and stop being so arrogant about the way they think they can just keep charging us more and more.

I don't need an organized protest. I've already designed my own protest. My 4 season tickets will become 2. My 1 or 2 beer purchases per match have become 0. I will no longer buy any team merchandise.

Azerban
10-01-2010, 04:28 PM
had a nice long serious post, but the crux of the matter is that i sort of feel the exec has to come out and tell us what we as a group want. it doesn't really matter what i personally want, because i'm just one person, and as long as The Vision is in the ballpark of what i think is correct, i'll go along. i'm sure most people feel the same.

the problem is the exec cares too much about being inclusive. be bold, draw the line, and say this is whats up, or get the fuck out. to be honest, we have such an opportunity to get up someones asshole at this final, but we need some leadership.

__wowza
10-01-2010, 04:35 PM
had a nice long serious post, but the crux of the matter is that i sort of feel the exec has to come out and tell us what we as a group want. it doesn't really matter what i personally want, because i'm just one person, and as long as The Vision is in the ballpark of what i think is correct, i'll go along. i'm sure most people feel the same.

the problem is the exec cares too much about being inclusive. be bold, draw the line, and say this is whats up, or get the fuck out. to be honest, we have such an opportunity to get up someones asshole at this final, but we need some leadership.

^ agreed.
exec needs to have feedback, yeah. they're never going to express the views of all of us, but they represent all of us. you have the people who'll support the issue, people who'll support because it's the RPB (although they may not agree 100%) and those (the very slim few) who just up and leave because they don't agree and wouldn't care to support the group.

i fear bureaucracy is going to be the death of everything we've built.

ochos
10-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I know what I want. I want the MLS Cup ticket to be an option. I want to not have to pay for tickets for games that may never occur (CCL matches in package). I want a freeze on price increases until the onfield product appears to be moving in the right direction.

I also want the FO to actually appear to care about the fans and stop being so arrogant about the way they think they can just keep charging us more and more.

I don't need an organized protest. I've already designed my own protest. My 4 season tickets will become 2. My 1 or 2 beer purchases per match have become 0. I will no longer buy any team merchandise.

Don't really think I can say it better....

GBV
10-01-2010, 05:29 PM
This year: Watch the Columbus game at Shoeless Joes.
* Next year: No concession or souvenir purchases. Ever.

* For those who are returning.

LCB
10-01-2010, 06:43 PM

There it is.

Articulated perfectly why I'm not a member, but am fully on-side if there's even a marginally agreeable objective, and a plan for protest.

The dollar-sign two-sticks and flags didn't have any firmly outlined contract or demands. It was to show the management that we're on to their bullshit, compared to just chanting, singing (rain or shine, getting fucked or not) and acting like everything is fine.

If we protest during the MLS Cup, no matter what it is, sitting, wearing black and not chanting, walking in at 15 minutes, whatever it is, the dissatisfaction will be noticed.

Full disclosure: I'm not affiliated in any way, nor acquainted with NEE.

cmonyoureds
10-01-2010, 09:58 PM
There it is.

Articulated perfectly why I'm not a member, but am fully on-side if there's even a marginally agreeable objective, and a plan for protest.

The dollar-sign two-sticks and flags didn't have any firmly outlined contract or demands. It was to show the management that we're on to their bullshit, compared to just chanting, singing (rain or shine, getting fucked or not) and acting like everything is fine.

If we protest during the MLS Cup, no matter what it is, sitting, wearing black and not chanting, walking in at 15 minutes, whatever it is, the dissatisfaction will be noticed.

Full disclosure: I'm not affiliated in any way, nor acquainted with NEE.

^^+1

maximo_rpd
10-01-2010, 11:20 PM
How about waiting until the absolute last minute to renew your tickets for next year. Make them earn our money by calling and causing concern about renewal numbers to the high up suits.
If they see anger on here, but see a decent renewal so far its all for nothing.

I'm sorry FORREST, but stupid is as stupid does... The only message that will really get through is not renewing your season tickets - period. This mamby pamby thinking of "wait to the last moment to renew" is just wimpy dream world stupidity on your part. They don't give a rat's ass if you pay them on October 1st or 15th - they have your money either way... suckaa... If you want to bend over, then bend over - but don't imagine for an instant that you have them worried, once you bend over.

Banners will send a message on the 16th, but if you have renewed on the 15th you are part of the problem, rather than the solution....

The stronger the message we can give ML$E, by not renewing, the greater the likelihood we can save this team from extinction.
:hump::hump:

Toronto Ruffrider
10-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Just throwing this out as a protest idea: at the last home game of the season against Columbus, there could be a giant barbecue outside of the stadium. On the menu? Tickets for the Arabe Unido CCL game! Such a display would not only show the value of the tickets being burned, but it would be fitting given that tailgating has always been popular amongst RPBs.

razor787
10-02-2010, 12:28 AM
I dont think there should be any protest at the Unido game. We were never expected to get past that round, and the coach that sent out the scrubs for those games, is now gone.

If something must be done at the Unido game, do it speaking out against their diving tactics, not our FO.

hamiltonfan
10-02-2010, 02:40 AM
boys, simple..black out the f*in dump of a stadium. Black flags, black shirts, black two sticks....lunch a few flares on the fiel during play @ the MLS CUP, with a black ribon attached. there needs to be a few large banners telling MLSE to fack of with the ticket prices and their shitty team

hamiltonfan
10-02-2010, 02:49 AM
through a god damn smoke bomb in pu*ssy ass garber and peddies face well ur at it... cause some havic at the cup game. have some pride in being a supporter..or so thats what u call urselfs:flare::flare::flare::flare:

ArmenJBX
10-02-2010, 07:32 AM
It's simple...We kill the batman.

Flipityflu
10-02-2010, 07:34 AM
You know, reading through this thread is so depressing. Its sad seeing so many people deluded into thinking that any of this matters. The fact remains, that come Oct 15th, most of you will have committed money to next seasons season ticket package. MLSE will be so busy counting the money that they won't have time to look up to see what signs the supporters groups are waving, what shirts they are wearing at the cup final, or what chants are getting sung. You all know it.

Its funny how the supporters groups, those who led the way into making this such an amazing sporting experience that Toronto hasn't seen before, is taking the backseat in the fight against MLSE. Its the casual fans who are going to be the ones who really make a difference. They are the ones who protest with their wallets.

I really enjoyed the first three years, but have become bitter now. I cannot get past the fact that I have seen incredible markup in the price of my tickets in the last four years, while watching some very mediocre football. The kicker is I'm also being forced to purchase a ticket for a game that Toronto FC won't qualify for. I'm just not going to stand for that, and I'm going to protest with my wallet. Next season, my money will go to other forms of entertainment. That makes me angry.

TorCanSoc
10-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Flu: Yep. The casuals (some) hate so much are going to heard. And in my opinion missed. How many supporters are there that show up game after game? 6,000? 8,000? They'll always renew.

If TFC starts with 15,0000 at the home opener, then this team is done. Availability will be the death of this team.... hello Blue Jays of the 90's to jays of late.

ArmenJBX
10-02-2010, 07:59 AM
MLSE needs to realize quickly that tickets won't be sold if the team is poor.
Every other team in the MLS focuses on building a good team, not putting bums in seats. Even Dallas who have a tin can stadium and maybe 5000 fans a game put together a strong team. Look at teams that focus on their fans over their team: DC United, Toronto FC, Seattle Sounders. Only Seattle has any kind of success this season.

MLSE, Let us make this very clear: You want 20,000+ a game? You want us to give you our money? Instead of RAISING ticket prices, how about you build a winning fucking squad, get us playoffs, and shut us up! That's all we want! Fucking success. If you can't do it, then fucking leave us. We don't need you nor want you. There's a hundred other owners who could buy this team. If all you want to do is charge us a premium for a nice steaming pile of shit, then fuck off.

Oldtimer
10-02-2010, 09:47 AM
U-Sector is not joining in bgnewf's boycott of the MLS Cup:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=14000&st=0

So if 1/4 of 112 is thinking of protesting by not going: think again.

maximo_rpd
10-02-2010, 10:15 AM

http://z15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=14000&st=0

So if 1/4 of 112 is thinking of protesting by not going: think again.

No Boycott of MLS-Cup is required - Here is what will happen on November 21st:
- everyone will wake up an go look out the window...
- it will be 10 below zero, the wind howling and several inches of snow on the ground...
- the casual soccer fan will say - oh well, lousy day, we aren't going to the game
- Toronto FC fans will say the boys are not playing, so no need to go
- the smart die hard Toronto FC fan will say: I refuse to be a positive backdrop (window dressing) for MLSE - I think I will try watching a game at BMO field on the TV instead...

There is no real need to get an organized protest together on this one - this will naturally occur. Other than not renewing your Season Tickets, the next best thing to do is hollow out BMO for the final. Tickets will be so cheap for this final - all at the expense of the Season ticket holders who were fleeced/forced to buy these very expensive tickets and then cannot give them away...
:picard:

Petor
10-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Anyone know a good snow dance?

maximo_rpd
10-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Anyone know a good snow dance?

:iagree:

Hey - wait a minute - I might go - there would be nothing more satisfying than whacking Henri upside the head with a snowball!!!! Damn, that sounds so fine!! (sorry - I can't help it, I have Irish blood in me - a snowball for a handball - seems somehow fitting...)

rocker
10-02-2010, 10:42 AM
several inches of snow in november? we barely get snow by Christmas these past few years.

maximo_rpd
10-02-2010, 10:42 AM

Are you a MLSE flack or spinboi, or what? The discussion is mixed, there is seven weeks to go, I would bet good money that at least half of U-sector NEVER MAKES IT TO THE GAME.
:taz::taz:

maximo_rpd
10-02-2010, 10:46 AM
several inches of snow in november? we barely get snow by Christmas these past few years.

The ducks and geese started to head south at the end of August this year - very unusual! Almanac says we are in for some traditional Canadian winter this year - lets hope it arrives by mid- November!! :D

Petor
10-02-2010, 10:52 AM
The year when Mel called in the army, didn't the snow start early November and never stopped until Mel cried uncle in January?

mclaren
10-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Interesting BBC article about Liverpools fans and their use of the Internet to protest ownership: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/danroan/2010/09/liverpool_fans_take_fight_onli.html

mclaren
10-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Interesting BBC article about Liverpools fans and their use of the Internet to protest ownership: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/danroan/2010/09/liverpool_fans_take_fight_onli.html

And this is the protest site: http://www.kopfaithful.org/

rocker
10-02-2010, 11:47 AM
The year when Mel called in the army, didn't the snow start early November and never stopped until Mel cried uncle in January?

nope... snow started in January :)

I remember, because my car got stuck in a snowbank that year!

nfitz
10-02-2010, 11:49 AM
The problem with this poll is that is precludes options that don't include physical protest.

What about "Write a letter to the Times"?

Red Rat
10-02-2010, 12:18 PM
And this is the protest site: http://www.kopfaithful.org/

good one
we should follow the example

tfc2008
10-02-2010, 12:34 PM
I think the best way is come all to the stadium, we dont go inside be outside for the 90 min.
Are (we did do this in Europe one time)
Go normal inside as every other game, when the game started walk all together out.

Oldtimer
10-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Are you a MLSE flack or spinboi, or what? The discussion is mixed, there is seven weeks to go, I would bet good money that at least half of U-sector NEVER MAKES IT TO THE GAME.
:taz::taz:

I know U-Sector well enough, if they don't have a solid consensus, they won't engage in a protest.

As far as MLSE spinboi, people here know me well enough that I was one of the more vocal anti-Mo people for this last year. :lol:

maximo_rpd
10-02-2010, 07:44 PM

I know U-Sector well enough, if they don't have a solid consensus, they won't engage in a protest.

As far as MLSE spinboi, people here know me well enough that I was one of the more vocal anti-Mo people for this last year. :lol:

You are right - I should have said you were "sounding" like one, not that you are one... my bad. I think there will be a fair number of U-sector non renewals, plus they have the same issues that we do - they may not do an organized protest but rather a disorganized withdrawal of attendance from the Cup game...

Froshler
10-02-2010, 07:57 PM
OK here it goes:

Get Tom Anselmi's email

Everyone forward their tickets for Panama Game Oct 19 to him with appropriate messages

Crash their servers...empty BMO...no concession sales

No loss as I'm not wasting my night at that game. Bast use of my $59.00 ticket

kaos197O
10-02-2010, 08:08 PM
OK here it goes:

Get Tom Anselmi's email

Everyone forward their tickets for Panama Game Oct 19 to him with appropriate messages

Crash their servers...empty BMO...no concession sales

No loss as I'm not wasting my night at that game. Bast use of my $59.00 ticket
Bad idea. He would probably resell them or give them to his friends.

denime
10-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I think the best way is come all to the stadium, we dont go inside be outside for the 90 min.
Are (we did do this in Europe one time)
Go normal inside as every other game, when the game started walk all together out.

This is not Europe,here everyone thinks he has the right to do what he thinks is "right thing" to do,instead of following the group and majority.
I'm surprised that cheerleaders did not jumped on you already,since you know"we have to support boys on the pitch no matter what",we can't just walk out or at least turn our backs to the pitch.

James Oliphant
10-02-2010, 09:14 PM
It's really, really fucking simple people...

Don't re-up.

Hooligan69
10-02-2010, 09:30 PM
"Discontent is the first necessity of progress."

- Thomas A. Edison

shwade
10-02-2010, 10:46 PM
not showing up to the MLS Cup will be the most embarassing thing for MLSE.

smtavare
10-02-2010, 10:52 PM
OK Guys, I took care of everything. We are going to have a rally concert outside of BMO field with these guys playing at the columbus game, the ccl game, and at the mls cup final.

I gave them a call and we talked a bit. We decided to play only this song because it really gets our message across. What do you think BOYZ!!!

MotNtq41NDw

:scarf::flare::drum::scarf::flare::drum::drinking: :drinking::flare::flare:

nascarguy
10-03-2010, 12:47 AM
fuck yeah we sould sing this for 22min and then sing danny dichio. Then we go to mlse box at 121 and start sing it there.

twistedchinaman
10-03-2010, 02:19 AM
Try this: http://www.english.cciv.cityu.edu.hk/jiedan/jingzhe.php

Not to the extreme of burning effigies, but still beating them up metaphorically.

Glenchen29
10-03-2010, 07:08 AM
MLS cup game is not the place to voice your opinion. League game or a visual public display at BMO like a walking rally.

Brooker
10-03-2010, 08:13 AM
through a god damn smoke bomb in pu*ssy ass garber and peddies face well ur at it... cause some havic at the cup game. have some pride in being a supporter..or so thats what u call urselfs

why don't you? oh yeah that's right, your just spewing bullshit.

tfc2008
10-03-2010, 08:46 AM
This is not Europe,here everyone thinks he has the right to do what he thinks is "right thing" to do,instead of following the group and majority.
I'm surprised that cheerleaders did not jumped on you already,since you know"we have to support boys on the pitch no matter what",we can't just walk out or at least turn our backs to the pitch.

Its better to do it the Canadian way talk talk talk and do nothing about it

tfc2008
10-03-2010, 08:55 AM
MLS cup game is not the place to voice your opinion. League game or a visual public display at BMO like a walking rally.

300% true MLS Cup have nothing to do with it

maximo_rpd
10-03-2010, 10:46 AM

What are you thinking?? Of course it is the perfect place - the only thing that MLSE worries about is loss of money. BAD PUBLICITY hits their bottom line hard and they cannot control it. BAD PUBLICITY spirals and builds momentum - we already have bad articles in the Globe, CBC and others - MLS Cup is the BEST Place to hit 'em where it hurts - nothing worse than a TV commentator talking about the pathetic job they have done, fan protest, value of tickets plumetiing - very poor season ticket renewal -droves of empty seats at the cup,, pathetic product on the field, etc. THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT WILL PRODUCE SUBSTANTIVE change - ML$E only speaks this language - comprendez?

We have to capture the mindspace of the folk on the waiting list - that it is a poor entertainment return for the dollars - tickets too expensive. Once the waiting list disappears in a puff of smoke THEN YOU HAVE SOME PRESSURE on ML$E for some change.

Roogsy
10-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Its funny how the supporters groups, those who led the way into making this such an amazing sporting experience that Toronto hasn't seen before, is taking the backseat in the fight against MLSE. Its the casual fans who are going to be the ones who really make a difference. They are the ones who protest with their wallets.

I will say this...at least NEE has always stood by their beliefs although I haven't always agreed with their methods. But in this case, I would have to agree that it would seem like pretty much everybody else is committing themselves to acting EXCEPT the biggest supprorters group. I certainly hope that isn't the ultimate result and this group realizes what a pivotal moment this is and that we need to be a part of it. But if the group isn't officially on board, I know individual RPBs will be.

What I'd like to know is can we get to a consensus on what to do? It needs to be one idea that will get sufficient support to have an effect.

Glenchen29
10-03-2010, 01:16 PM
I would mostley have to disagree with "maximo rpd" as TFC is a ML$E problem and not a league problem and no matter how many people show up with banners or don't show up MLS's focus will be on the final and the two teams participating. None or little will be brought up on national television regarding the issue of ML$E nor do the other city's fans and the league will not focus on internal issues. If the Red Bulls make the final droves of people will be out to see Henry and that will be the top story guaranteed. Your banners will quickly be removed by security.

How many superbowls, world series, stanley cups have disgruntled fans from bottom teams protested succesfully and got publicity at the final?

The league and ML$E are well aware of the issues!

Pookie
10-03-2010, 02:09 PM
I would mostley have to disagree with "maximo rpd" as TFC is a ML$E problem and not a league problem and no matter how many people show up with banners or don't show up MLS's focus will be on the final and the two teams participating. None or little will be brought up on national television regarding the issue of ML$E nor do the other city's fans and the league will not focus on internal issues. If the Red Bulls make the final droves of people will be out to see Henry and that will be the top story guaranteed. Your banners will quickly be removed by security.

How many superbowls, world series, stanley cups have disgruntled fans from bottom teams protested succesfully and got publicity at the final?

The league and ML$E are well aware of the issues!

You respectfully miss the boat.

The MLS, including Commissioner Garber, holds the TFC ownership group as the "blueprint" for how to run a successful franchise.

I think this is the perfect time and place to let the MLS know how we feel about their "perfect model."

There is also opportunity. While people might want to go see Henry... 16,000 tickets will already be sold to people who... if they choose to... will not go see Henry and not resell them.

Chevy
10-03-2010, 02:18 PM
The MLS Cup is not the place to protest.

Take a look at games played in Columbus. On the MLS site you will rarely see photos or video highlights that show empty seats. If the Cup game is not well attended (or any other protest occurs) you will get the same treatment. Any protest would be marginalized.

Regardless, a good number of supporters are not renewing due to the price increase and/or financial reasons so it's unlikely that you will get a large enough group to 1) Renew their seats at the higher price AND 2) Eat the value of their MLS cup tickets.

flatpicker
10-03-2010, 02:43 PM
I also have my doubts about staging a boycott of the MLS Cup.
It seems to me that our message would get across better be doing something at the game.

maximo_rpd
10-03-2010, 02:50 PM
You respectfully miss the boat.

The MLS, including Commissioner Garber, holds the TFC ownership group as the "blueprint" for how to run a successful franchise.

I think this is the perfect time and place to let the MLS know how we feel about their "perfect model."

There is also opportunity. While people might want to go see Henry... 16,000 tickets will already be sold to people who... if they choose to... will not go see Henry and not resell them.

Pookie hit the nail right on the head - MLSE has handed us the tool to protest - DO NOT SHOW UP - they can try to "gloss over" empty stands but they can't do much if the people forced to buy tickets don't show up - THAT IS A NEWS STORY - MLS and ML$E can't control news stories like this.

The problem is Glenechen29, that you don't see the problem - if you have a better idea of how hurt MLSE by embarassing them bad, or hitting them hard in the pocketbook - lets hear it. Just because TV coverage might not give the empty stands a lot of air time hardly matters - it is local Toronto coverage in the media that will cause the harm to MLSE - look at the bad press they have had in the past week! More bad coverage and further overt and loud pressure from the fans will result in very poor season ticket uptake - the only real monetary pressure we have. The MLS Cup dive bomb strategy affects ML$E's relationship with the league and hits their egos - they still think they are the ones with the "magic sauce" that made Toronto FC great. The message has to be made clear to them - ML$E is the "puke-sauce" that has caused terrible decline in the club the last two years, and the strong supporter fan base is the "magic-sauce".

The problem is that many of you are afraid - afraid of losing these "valuable" season tickets, afraid of missing the Toronto FC magic of 2007 + 2008. I have news for you - the tickets are not valuable - these are not leaf tickets. I can sit anywhere in BMO for less than you are paying right now - just look on ebay or stubhub. $15 gets me to the FINAL GAME OF THE SEASON - this is a prime ticket - the biggest demand is for first and last game of the season.

Soccer fans are fickle and demand a decent product and to be treated with respect. I will have super cheap tickets next year at the expense of those who renew their tickets for a fifth year. I have paid for 4 years - I won't have to eat tickets next year for games I can't make. I don't have to eat tickets for non-league games I don't want to pay for in advance.

As far as the "magic" goes, it is long gone. Empty seats everywhere. It will take years to recover. I will pop my name back on the waiting list and once the waitlisters who get tickets for next year realize that they have been duped and the tickets have little value - they will dump in droves next year... meanwhile I will be at the games, saved a lot of money, and will continue to cheer the boys on!

Since I will not be renewing my STs next year I will not get hosed with MLS-Cup tickets that should have been part of my 2010 package. If there is sufficient support on the boards to give the MLS-cup a miss, I will buy tickets and not go - I am that pissed and discouraged with where the team has been, and even more worried about where it is headed.

nascarguy
10-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Both Liverpool and Toronto fc are run very bad but the only think that mlse does good is make money. The Liverpool owners do not know how to make money.

both team's supporter's are protesting

nascarguy
10-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I also have my doubts about staging a boycott of the MLS Cup.
It seems to me that our message would get across better be doing something at the game.
yeah i have my doubts that 112 will pull this off. But I do not really care I will follow what 127 does so if your with me good if not oh well!!

See you later!

I'm not waiting anymore as far as I care the season was over a weeks ago.

DichioTFC
10-04-2010, 10:10 AM
BMO Capacity: 22,100
Record for least attended MLS Cup Final: 21,200 (2005 @ Pizza Hut Park)

We can set a record.

Technorgasm
10-04-2010, 10:27 AM
IN-stand Protesting has very little effect on this particular organization.

I see no point in it, and the majority of the time it comes of as ignorant, self obsorbed, bitching and griping.

Demanding results from this team is like trying to put out a forrest fire with 1 bucket of water. The FO views us as a group, and as a customer base as replaceable.

Say what you will about atmosphere, and what teh groups bring to the league.
the fact is. No one at the top cares.

If you dont like the results or direction of this team, then dont bother to support them at all. Otherwise, go to the stadium, sing and chant, and focus your attentions on teh players, not the organization, enjoy the game day experience and take the bad with the good.

Boris
10-04-2010, 11:24 AM
IN-stand Protesting has very little effect on this particular organization.

I see no point in it, and the majority of the time it comes of as ignorant, self obsorbed, bitching and griping.

Demanding results from this team is like trying to put out a forrest fire with 1 bucket of water. The FO views us as a group, and as a customer base as replaceable.

Say what you will about atmosphere, and what teh groups bring to the league.
the fact is. No one at the top cares.

If you dont like the results or direction of this team, then dont bother to support them at all. Otherwise, go to the stadium, sing and chant, and focus your attentions on teh players, not the organization, enjoy the game day experience and take the bad with the good.

i agree.

Its only effective if we get numbers.

Phil and i have thought up of an idea that will be communicated later today (i hope). We have to work fast however.

I do ask that members think about things further....whatever plan is presented I hope that you can help us in spreading the word and being involved. THIS IS A TRUE TEST OF OUR MEMBERSHIP.

Pookie
10-04-2010, 12:07 PM
^ looking forward to reading the plan Boris.

Just an aside comment regarding the suggestions in this thread, do people really think that a "lack of chanting" will have any impact at all?

Let's be completely honest with ourselves, do you think Tom Anselmi is going to say to Richard Peddie, "Do you hear that Richard? There isn't as much chanting as there usually is. We better rethink the way we treat our fans."

Being even more completely honest, outside of 127, 112 (the lower half at least), 113 (the lower half at least) and 111 (sometimes) and parts of 110 (thanks Sparta), there is no massive chanting going on. The upper part of 115 is usually very vocal but with their own thing.

Sit in 109 or 221 (to pick a few other sections at random) and tell me that folks there are into the chanting and singing. Even take a south end seat in 114-119 and tell me that you can hear what is going on the above sections. Worse, could you find your fellow "Supporters" in those sections willing to join in?

That's what MLSE has effectively killed by overzealous security, scalper support, high prices and refusal to work to expand the "supporter culture" (ie. making upper rows Supporter Rows, true relocations, etc)

Sadly, you can enforce a no chanting protest very easily because only a select few sections are chanting anyways.

Hooligan69
10-04-2010, 12:22 PM
At least one of our major sports teams has a clue...

"Our ticket prices in 2011 will remain the same as 2010 and we will continue to direct our efforts to improving the team and farm system with the goal of bringing a championship to Toronto."

- Blue Jays President and CEO, Paul Beeston

H Bomb
10-04-2010, 12:28 PM
^^ They hiked up their tickets last year. not knockin it, just sayin.

Oldtimer
10-04-2010, 12:29 PM
At least one of our major sports teams has a clue...

"Our ticket prices in 2011 will remain the same as 2010 and we will continue to direct our efforts to improving the team and farm system with the goal of bringing a championship to Toronto."

- Blue Jays President and CEO, Paul Beeston

Half-empty stadium.
No waiting list.

It's easy to do the smart thing when reality hits you hard in the face.

menefreghista
10-04-2010, 12:59 PM
The Jays actually should have dropped some of their prices.

Some of their pricing is outrageous as well.

Gixmo
10-04-2010, 01:05 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/312u61y.jpg

L
O
L

That's wonderful, Full credit.

mclaren
10-04-2010, 01:09 PM
^^ They hiked up their tickets last year. not knockin it, just sayin.

errr, so did TFC

H Bomb
10-04-2010, 01:10 PM
And the Jays (somewhat knowingly) got what they deserved this year. People have spent all year talking about terrible Jays attendance without recognizing the increase in tickets (especially in cheap zones). The jays however, unlike us, have great TV numbers

BFin
10-04-2010, 01:21 PM
And the Jays (somewhat knowingly) got what they deserved this year. People have spent all year talking about terrible Jays attendance without recognizing the increase in tickets (especially in cheap zones). The jays however, unlike us, have great TV numbers

They also have, unlike us, a team that can score and win some games.

Beach_Red
10-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Half-empty stadium.
No waiting list.

It's easy to do the smart thing when reality hits you hard in the face.

In this case it really is apples and organges. Baseball is desiged to have a mix of season ticket supporters and walk-ups. Most baseball stadiums are half-full for many, many games - and with 60,000 seat stadiums and 82 home games that's fine. It's unlikely any baseball team ever had a waiting list for season ticket holders.

Dave67
10-04-2010, 01:46 PM
In this case it really is apples and organges. Baseball is desiged to have a mix of season ticket supporters and walk-ups. Most baseball stadiums are half-full for many, many games - and with 60,000 seat stadiums and 82 home games that's fine. It's unlikely any baseball team ever had a waiting list for season ticket holders.

Not sure if this was in jest, but regarding Beeston coming back to the Jays

"His mandate: Recreate the magic that he oversaw in his first stint as franchise president, which culminated in World Series championships in 1992 and 1993 and a season high of four million fans.
Those were the days the Jays boasted about their 27,000 season ticket holders and the 10,000 people on their waiting list. "

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/bluejays/article/799902--can-the-blue-jays-survive-in-toronto

In 1993 the Jays had 4,057,947 as paid attendance with an average game attendance of 50,098

Also - in 1991, 1992 & 1993 the Jays averaged around 4 million fans in paid attendance per season.

Roogsy
10-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Hmmm...where have I heard that before?

Oldtimer
10-04-2010, 01:55 PM

"His mandate: Recreate the magic that he oversaw in his first stint as franchise president, which culminated in World Series championships in 1992 and 1993 and a season high of four million fans.
Those were the days the Jays boasted about their 27,000 season ticket holders and the 10,000 people on their waiting list. "

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/bluejays/article/799902--can-the-blue-jays-survive-in-toronto

In 1993 the Jays had 4,057,947 as paid attendance with an average game attendance of 50,098

Also - in 1991, 1992 & 1993 the Jays averaged around 4 million fans in paid attendance per season.

Us old-timers can remember when a Jays ticket was as hard to get as a TFC ticket in 2007.

BeerBaron95
10-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Us old-timers can remember when a Jays ticket was as hard to get as a TFC ticket in 2007.

thats the funniest shit i've read today..

Beach_Red
10-04-2010, 02:21 PM

They can't really misunderstand their own business that much, can they? In years in which a baseball team is in a pennant race and has a legitimate shot at the World Series it will sell a lot of tickets. In years that it isn't, it won't.

It was only ever tough to get a Jays ticket in the years they were legitimte contenders. Certainly they don't think they can get that kind of demand with a non-playoff team? (and baseball even changed the playoff system to have more teams in the wild card race, but only teams in the race get an increase in tiket sales).

So the Jays con't possibly think they can sell that many tickets without getting into the playoffs? Come on, that's a joke, how could a team sell out and not make the playoffs?

Oh right...

ochos
10-04-2010, 08:50 PM
The problem with this poll is that is precludes options that don't include physical protest.

What about "Write a letter to the Times"?

Didn't feel a 7th (or 8th, 9th, 10th..) option was necessary. It's clear so many people are set on some sort of public showing. That is why I included literary campaign as part of the in stadium options.

DichioTFC
10-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Ochos, I'm glad you made a thread and survey, but I think the number of options available have the possibility of skewing results.

55.64% want an in-stadium protest (including the no opinion people)
60.9% want to protest by not attending one or both of the matches (including the no opinions)

Also, there isn't mention of a banner (which is obviously an in-game protest, but not mentioning as part of an option has the potential to skew votes a certain way).

The only conclusion that I get from this survey is that it is inconclusive.

ochos
10-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Ochos, I'm glad you made a thread and survey, but I think the number of options available have the possibility of skewing results.

55.64% want an in-stadium protest (including the no opinion people)
60.9% want to protest by not attending one or both of the matches (including the no opinions)

Also, there isn't mention of a banner (which is obviously an in-game protest, but not mentioning as part of an option has the potential to skew votes a certain way).

The only conclusion that I get from this survey is that it is inconclusive.

Fair enough - it's not like I had painstaking hours to plan the potential outcomes or percentages of this poll. But, here's what I see:

1) The most popular option is to not go to the MLS Cup Final

2) Many people would like to protest at the Columbus game

I'd say the two options above are the best forms of protest we can show as a group. Granted, it would be near impossible for the exec to ask the members and non-members alike to not attend this game. Let's see what their answer will be...

Either way, I hope we all show a strong solidarity and unearth stronger because of it

DichioTFC
10-04-2010, 09:11 PM
It's a good thing you made it. I'm sure this survey will have an impact with the exec when they come down the pipeline with a decision.

nfitz
10-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Us old-timers can remember when a Jays ticket was as hard to get as a TFC ticket in 2007.That was only 20 years or so ago. What about before that when attendance was even lower than today?

Though I probably date myself by noting that I remember watching the very first Blue Jay game, on TV ... typically it snowed at Exhibition Stadium - as I recall.

TOBOR !
10-05-2010, 04:31 AM
If RPB Mgmt are gonna decide on something they'd better do it soon.

Oldtimer
10-05-2010, 08:01 AM
For members only:

here is the plan:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=24870

Thanks to everyone (even non-members) for your input!

H Bomb
10-05-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm very interested to see how this all works out. Not only the plan itself, but how its presented, applied, communicated....all that crap. Should be a very interesting coupla weeks.

Oldtimer
10-05-2010, 10:41 AM
For those who can't access the plan, don't worry.

It will be very public in a few days.