PDA

View Full Version : A call to make the Oct 19 game free

SweetOwnGoal
09-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Please take a moment to sign this petition to make the Oct 19 game against Arabe Unido free.

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/09/free-tfc-v-arabe-unido.html

drewski
09-30-2010, 09:32 AM
done, #9

Parkdale
09-30-2010, 09:32 AM
my name's added.

ManUtd4ever
09-30-2010, 09:34 AM
I agree with the sentiment, but I'm not sure a free ticket will entice that many additional supporters to attend. It's not a question of the cost of the ticket for me personally, I just can't be bothered to attend a match that is utterly meaningless. I signed the petition anyway though...

Parkdale
09-30-2010, 09:35 AM
the issue isn't that the ticket is free, it's that the MLSE is actually going to do (or not do) something.

maninb
09-30-2010, 09:39 AM
done

H Bomb
09-30-2010, 09:43 AM
It's tough, if they give us this game for free next time we ask for something maybe they say "no, we gave you a free CCL game like a month ago". Great idea, i put my name down, but i've just got no trust in MLSE, not even the benefit of the doubt

stugautz
09-30-2010, 09:48 AM
I say we pull an MLS$ and take credit for somebody else's work. Convince everybody and their mother there's going to be a protest for the October 19th game (knowing fully well nobody is going anyways), then when nobody shows up we can market it as a successful protest. Put the screws to MLS$'s negative option billing of stuff like the MLS cup.

GlenM
09-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Even though I have a ticket and plan to go already - signed #35.

GlenM

flatpicker
09-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Sounds good to me.
Seems like a good idea.

TFC Tifoso
09-30-2010, 09:50 AM
this is something that should be initiated by MLSE.....not from some petition......

Auzzy
09-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Yeah, how about those of us dumb enough to already buy tickets for that game? Like me? ;)

I will sign the petition, good idea. Suggestion for those of us who show a paid ticket: 50% off food or something else. (They probably aren't allowed to do that on alcohol.)

EDIT: now I saw the suggestion about crediting accounts for those that already have tickets. Would work for people who are on any of the mailing lists & have an Account Manager. Might not work for people who may have bought single tickets, group sales etc. Anyway, they should be able to figure something out.

Suds
09-30-2010, 09:54 AM
this is something that should be initiated by MLSE.....not from some petition......

I agree ... but the point of this is, will MLSE listen and do the right thing?

Are they willing to make even the smallest token gesture to their fans?

Pyeddo
09-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Signed #44

SweetOwnGoal
09-30-2010, 10:08 AM
I don't think giving away a seat to this game will solve anything, but I do believe it would be a worthwhile gesture.

I don't have the same rage as most on this issue. I think they were wrong to increase the cost and I think the MLS Cup should have been an opt-in (I also think not going to the MLS Cup is a silly way to "punish" MLSE. It's a league product. The league will make most of the money off of it.).

This would be something they could do to make a bit of peace and, more importantly, it's a focused effort to speak to the ticket price increase. If this gets enough support they will have to directly speak to it. With the increase they can just talk about market factors and fluff it off (and with empty seats/protest banners they don’t have to say anything). By the time next season rolls around the rage has mostly gone away and they will have their 18,000 season tickets (and they will...). Here they would have to say “yes we are going to give the fans this” or “no we aren’t and here’s why.”
Focused and timely. That’s the important thing. When you are protesting something you need to ask for something specifically otherwise you allow the other side to spin.

Azerban
09-30-2010, 10:10 AM
congratulations you've distilled pure pathetium, a thread so sad and boring it warps the fabric of time and space

SweetOwnGoal
09-30-2010, 10:18 AM
congratulations you've distilled pure pathetium, a thread so sad and boring it warps the fabric of time and space

???

No, really ???

H Bomb
09-30-2010, 10:18 AM

But by doing this wouldnt it make the thread no longer sad and boring? Hmmmm, conundrum.

billyfly
09-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Up to 54. Signed

CretanBull
(I also think not going to the MLS Cup is a silly way to "punish" MLSE. It's a league product. The league will make most of the money off of it.).

The point isn't to financially punish MLSE (since we're forced to buy the ticket anyway) - its to embarrass them and force them to answer to the league when they won't answer to us.

Actually, I guess its not true - they will answer to us, but I assume that "We're fucking you, deal with it" won't be an acceptable answer to the league.

Beach_Red
I don't have the same rage as most on this issue. I think they were wrong to increase the cost and I think the MLS Cup should have been an opt-in (I also think not going to the MLS Cup is a silly way to "punish" MLSE. It's a league product. The league will make most of the money off of it.).

But it is a single-entity league, so the line is blurred.

It may even be reasonable to ask at this point if the league should step in and force the team to be better run. A record number of players, a new coach every year, prices increased every year, every other expansion team passing it by...

I wonder if any other league in north America would allow an expansion team to flounder so much.

billyfly
09-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Hold on, I mis-read this petition. This isn't for free beer?

CretanBull
09-30-2010, 10:20 AM

Of course, but these thoughts never enter their minds.

Azerban
09-30-2010, 10:21 AM
But by doing this wouldnt it make the thread no longer sad and boring?

incredibly, no

top scientists are working on this as we speak

MartinUtd
09-30-2010, 10:21 AM
What is "season seat number"?

Our seat locations or is there an account # I can look up somewhere?

Azerban
09-30-2010, 10:26 AM
reminder that this is a thread about an online petition, that asks mlse to give money away for nothing, and is being talked about seriously, as if it's not The Most Absurd Proposition

SweetOwnGoal
09-30-2010, 10:26 AM
What is "season seat number"?

Our seat locations or is there an account # I can look up somewhere?

Just where you sit

SweetOwnGoal
09-30-2010, 10:27 AM
B
I wonder if any other league in north America would allow an expansion team to flounder so much.

The Vancouver Grizzlies

SweetOwnGoal
09-30-2010, 10:30 AM
reminder that this is a thread about an online petition, that asks mlse to give money away for nothing, and is being talked about seriously, as if it's not The Most Absurd Proposition

Asking for something is not absurd. Bitching aimlessly about something ad nausea is.

Being too-cool-for-school cynical is the most absurd thing of all though.

razor787
09-30-2010, 10:32 AM
I dont think MLSE should give this one away free. We weren't expected to advance in the tourney, and we didn't. Giving us this game free won't affect anything else, it would just be a "sorry for not progressing farther".

If there is a protest for free seats or something, it should be about something more meaningful. Whether they go through with what the petition would ask for doesn't really matter. Just getting more discontent in the air is good enough.

MartinUtd
09-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Just where you sit

Thanks.

And Azerban, its about symbolism, not a hand out. Quit raining on the parade.

sidvan
09-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Signed. Am going because i have ticket already but signed anyway.

Wull
09-30-2010, 10:36 AM
what do they do with the people who've already forked out for tickets?

H Bomb
09-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Asking for something is not absurd. Bitching aimlessly about something ad nausea is.

I think cynicism is not a terrible way to go about it these days. We always resort to playing by their rules. Like the argument about joining the government if you dont like what they are doing. I dont like that response. No reason to fit into their system in order to beat it. Just need to find many ways to make them meaningless, and not caring about them aint a terrible start.

nauseam writer dude, nauseam

Roogsy
I have to at least acknowledge Duane's intent here, even if it is weak.

It could be worse, he could be justifying the increase and the MLS Cup tickets in this blog as opposed to coming out against it.

My only opinion on this is that since it is a somewhat silly notion that MLSE would even consider doing that, it will generate little interest from fan or supporter either. I am know I am somewhat apathetic to the initiative.

SweetOwnGoal
what do they do with the people who've already forked out for tickets?

Credit or voucher.

Azerban
09-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks.

And Azerban, its about symbolism, not a hand out. Quit raining on the parade.

the symbolism is a double-decker outhouse

but you can use the bottom one for free

MartinUtd
09-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Hilarious! Take your show on the road.

tovan
09-30-2010, 10:50 AM
The Vancouver Grizzlies

I know this is off topic but the Grizzlies provide an clear example of how not to run a team. They were ruined by poor management decisions which ultimately led to their demise, some which parallel what MLSE/TFC are doing now (or until Mo was fired).

- Stu Jackson = Mo Johnston, GM without a clue
- Overpaying under-producing players
- Inability to attract top players to play for the team
- 5 head coaches in 6 seasons
- 61 players in 6 seasons
- Failure to make playoff in 6 seasons
- Big drop in attendance after 4 losing seasons

Vancouver Grizzlies Attendance
Year Total Avg
2000-01 563,218 13,737
1999-00 569,864 13,899
1998-99 417,966 16,719
1997-98 660,457 16,109
1996-97 679,422 16,571
1995-96 704,489 17,183

I could go on but you get the point. Beware MLSE, you better make things right real soon!

Azerban
09-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Hilarious! Take your show on the road.

make an online petition about it

TFC Tifoso
09-30-2010, 10:51 AM
I agree ... but the point of this is, will MLSE listen and do the right thing?

Are they willing to make even the smallest token gesture to their fans?

no aaaaaaaaand no.....

Roogsy
09-30-2010, 10:51 AM
I am so mad I am going to write a strongly worded letter!

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/pierce/abe_simpson.png

Azerban
09-30-2010, 10:52 AM
I know this is off topic but, the Grizzlies were ruined by poor management decisions which ultimately led to their demise. Some of the mistakes that the Grizzlies made parallel what is happening with TFC now...

- Stu Jackson = Mo Johnston, GM without a clue
- Overpaying under-producing players
- Inability to attract top players to play for the team
- 5 coaching head coaches in 6 seasons
- 61 players in 6 seasons
- Failure to make playoff in 6 seasons
- Big drop in attendance after 4 losing seasons

Vancouver Grizzlies Attendance
Year Total Avg
2000-01 563,218 13,737
1999-00 569,864 13,899
1998-99 417,966 16,719
1997-98 660,457 16,109
1996-97 679,422 16,571
1995-96 704,489 17,183

I could go on but you get the point. Beware MLSE, you better make things right real soon!

A Good Post

print this up nice on a piece of paper, sit outside the go station and hand them out

congrats, you've had more impact than any online petition ever

MartinUtd
09-30-2010, 11:13 AM
make an online petition about it

Here you go

http://www.petitiononline.com/omgtfc/petition.html

SweetOwnGoal
10-01-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm going to bump this once. I'd like to get this to 250 sigs so I can take it to the next level.

If you don't want to sign it that's your choice, clearly. I'm not here to insult people or question their motivation.

SweetOwnGoal
10-01-2010, 11:13 AM
nauseam writer dude, nauseam

Sometimes I make spelling errors, even though I'm a writer. For that I am deeply sorry.

jloome
10-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Well said.

I'd add to the petition that free attendees will be encouraged to bring a canned good for the food bank. Might as well make the night mean something.

king dave
10-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Done.
KD.

GBV
10-01-2010, 11:21 AM
making a meaningless game free?
a wonderful PR move for ML$E, yet in the scheme of things doesn't really mean much.
i vote nay.

king dave
10-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Well said.

I'd add to the petition that free attendees will be encouraged to bring a canned good for the food bank. Might as well make the night mean something.
Great idea!
The food bank is at an all time low and the next few months are the busiest times. This is genuinely the best idea on any supporters mess. board I have come across in recent weeks.
Well done J.
KD.

Section 110
10-01-2010, 11:25 AM
making a meaningless game free?
a wonderful PR move for ML$E, yet in the scheme of things doesn't really mean much.
i vote nay.

+1.

Isn't this setting sights a little low? Should SSHs not be asking for something like, oh, I don't know, the MLS Cup tickets for free?

The other issue is that if MLSE agreed to it, the free seats to the meaningless game you get will be held over your head the next time you complain. This is not going to get anyone farther ahead, with or without the free ticket. You want appeasement, and this is all it takes? MLSE has got us all pegged.

menefreghista
10-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I think the gesture from the club would be great.

But I don't see it happening because if they made the game free and still no one showed up it would be a big embarrassment to their brand.

They'd rather have no one show up and list another fake attendance like they did last Tuesday.

lips
10-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Done

BFin
10-01-2010, 11:32 AM
What does this do? How does this make anything better?!

The STH's are the ones being fucked over and they already have paid for tickets...so free tickets helps who exactly? Focus on the issue at hand, not this bullshit excuse for a protest.

king dave
10-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Focus on the issue at hand
And that is?
KD.

SweetOwnGoal
10-01-2010, 12:10 PM

The STH's are the ones being fucked over and they already have paid for tickets...so free tickets helps who exactly? Focus on the issue at hand, not this bullshit excuse for a protest.

It's not a protest. It's a request.

TOBOR !
10-01-2010, 12:12 PM
We feel that several factors would make this gesture appropriate.

They are:

1) - The continued failure of the club to be competitive in a league that is designed to promote parity.

2) - Four years of front office turmoil that has seen more than 80 players come through and five head coaches.

3) - Continued use of images of the supporter's groups and references to their loyalty and passion in the team's marketing.

4) - Annual per game ticket price increases that have seen the season ticket prices for said supporters increase 116% from 2007.

In light of these factors we feel that MLSE, in an act of good will, should acknowledge the dedicated support that has made TFC so successful during the four years by offering free tickets to the Oct. 19 game, or an equivalent.

really ? this is going to make everyone feel better ? All the bad feeling surrounding price hikes and forced purchases will go away because you get a free, meaningless CCL game ? Because that's how MLSE will interpret it.

I'm not drinking the 24th minute Kool Aid on this, or on that whole business about how boycotting / demonstrating at the MLS cup is bad for us.

Nice try - I'll keep my ticket and not go, thanks. More room for you chumps that do.

menefreghista
10-01-2010, 12:12 PM
It's not a protest. It's a request.

Why not request a removal of the MLS Cup tickets from our season ticket packages while we're at it?

Tobor makes a great point. The club has raised ticket prices, forced the MLS Cup on us and is making us pay months in advance for tickets we may never get.

So in response to they shitty way they are treating us, we should ask for a free ticket? That doesn't really make sense.

BFin
10-01-2010, 12:17 PM
And that is?
KD.

Nothing to do with the game against Arabe Unido and it being free.

Seriously Dave, in one font size, what is this going to do at all?

I highly doubt asking MLSE to give away tickets to a game that is probably 50% sold already will have any impact on Season ticket prices, a complete lack of intelligent security, a lack of a true supporters section within the stadium, and a severe lack of a true vision for this team.

If getting a free ticket to a meaningless game accomplishes that, well then I apologize for being wrong.

king dave
10-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Nothing to do with the game against Arabe Unido and it being free.

Seriously Dave, in one font size, what is this going to do at all?

I highly doubt asking MLSE to give away tickets to a game that is probably 50% sold already will have any impact on Season ticket prices, a complete lack of intelligent security, a lack of a true supporters section within the stadium, and a severe lack of a true vision for this team.

If getting a free ticket to a meaningless game accomplishes that, well then I apologize for being wrong.
It's not the free ticket here that is important.
And don't apologize. No need bro.
The petition is just another tactic that shows how fucking pissed off we (as supporters) are. And though you may think that MLSE may not give a shit, they do.
I intercepted TA and LT literally running out of the match Tuesday and let 'em have it.
In full KD mode, "You fucking guys are ruining proffessional sports in Toronto you cocksuckers!". Word.
You really have to see 2 douche-suits run in fear. Epic.
MLSE meeting right now. Guaranteed.
The idea of the food drive is the cherry on top.
Point?
We all move as 1 group against what is not right. Period.
KD.

BFin
10-01-2010, 12:50 PM
It's not the free ticket here that is important.
And don't apologize. No need bro.
The petition is just another tactic that shows how fucking pissed off we (as supporters) are. And though you may think that MLSE may not give a shit, they do.
I intercepted TA and LT literally running out of the match Tuesday and let 'em have it.
In full KD mode, "You fucking guys are ruining proffessional sports in Toronto you cocksuckers!". Word.
You really have to see 2 douche-suits run in fear. Epic.
MLSE meeting right now. Guaranteed.
The idea of the food drive is the cherry on top.
Point?
We all move as 1 group against what is not right. Period.
KD.

Heard about this, kudos to you for this one. :)

I get that them knowing we are pissed off is a good thing...but I don't think that signing a petition for a free game in anyway shows that. I think it shows we want cheap seats to continue to enjoy the shit they are putting on the field.

As I said before brother, in my opinion, the only way to get them to realize you mean business...is to stop going...not through petitions.

maximo_rpd
10-02-2010, 09:55 AM

I appreciates Sweet's intent to get MLSE to do SOMETHING - but this is just not the thing to ask for. Why ask for a bag of shit (the Aribe Unido game) - they might just give it to you - then what do you do? Open the bag and smell it?? Eat it?? Give it away to a friend??

There are a number of MEANINGFUL gestures available to MLSE - cheap pricing for STH on a top notch friendlies (like Real Madrid), removing non-MLS games from the package, fixing the MLS-cup fiasco, lowering prices, giving us access to ALL SEATS during relocation, avoiding homeless DP's, or ......... wait for it! ......... **Fielding a great team** :scarf:

:topic:
From the petition: (The Undersigned are calling for the final competitive game of Toronto FC's 2010 season (October 19 versus Arabe Unido) to be free to attend.

The petition actually made me choke on my coffee as it clearly implies that the Reds last Season game on October 23rd will not be a competitive game -actually the petition author probably got it right, but lets give the boys the benefit of the doubt - they do have a shot at getting a point from the LAST PLACE TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.

:facepalm:

Jeffro
10-02-2010, 11:51 AM
The Arabe game is already like a lost litre for MLSE, so they may love this idea. They've been fucking us for years, but now can feel they'll make everything better by giving away tickets they would never be able to sell anyways.

mclaren
10-02-2010, 12:03 PM
The Arabe game is already like a lost litre for MLSE, so they may love this idea. They've been fucking us for years, but now can feel they'll make everything better by giving away tickets they would never be able to sell anyways.

Exactly, this is like giving MLSE an opportunity to look good - why would we do that? Doesn't make ANY sense. Much better to demand they take action on the REAL issues - not giving free tickets to a totally MEANINGLESS game.

CretanBull
10-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Exactly, this is like giving MLSE an opportunity to look good - why would we do that? Doesn't make ANY sense. Much better to demand they take action on the REAL issues - not giving free tickets to a totally MEANINGLESS game.

Agreed!

sully
10-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Making a meaningless game free doesn't make the game anymore meaningful. If MLSE were to make a meaninful gesture then it would be to make the MLS final free... Can you imagine going there and watching Columbus win the Cup and their fans singing 'this is our house' - and well, it would. - and paying for that..

tfc2008
10-02-2010, 12:36 PM
MLSE dont care about this because the money is in we buy the tickets all

kaos197O
10-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Signed for my 2 seats!

Oldtimer
10-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Free is not good enough.

ML$E should have to pay me to watch this team.

jazzy
10-02-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm already going to eat my 2 tickets, and I don't think a freebie helps a bit. This is MLSE's whole "modus operandi'' LOL,...they'll offer a little treat and continue on their profiteering ways..AND most importantly feel OK we gave u something so stop complaining...and same shit next year........

kaos197O
10-02-2010, 07:40 PM
^^^^^^^^

I may eat mine too but it would be easier to ingest with $100 back in my pocket!

denime
10-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Unless ML$E will refund my tickets i have to say NO.

denime
10-02-2010, 08:55 PM

BINGO !!!

kodiakTFC
10-02-2010, 10:59 PM
From MLSE's perspective it makes perfect sense to do, I'm sure they'll make plenty from concessions regardless.

andyc
10-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Free beer at the game would be a much better gesture and might get a few people to turn up....

:drinking:

nascarguy
10-03-2010, 01:04 AM
just over 200 come on people sign it

maximo_rpd
10-03-2010, 11:12 AM
just over 200 come on people sign it

This is the dumbest petition yet. If I had put up a petition that said MLSE should give is "titties and beer" (Frank Zappa - look it up), we would have had 5000 signatures in the time this petition has managed to get 200??? Why in the world would we ask MLSE for something as stupid and worthless as the Aribe game??? Give your head a shake....

TOBOR !
10-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Internet Petition FAIL.

DangerRed
10-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Man, you dudes have accused 24thminute and the guys at It's Called Football of being MLSE apologists and initially, I didn't agree. But this is incredible.

So 24th goes out with a petition to make a game that's already a write-off free to attend (who gives a good ol' shit?!?!). You guys go sign it, MLSE gets to say "we owe this to TFC supporters" and the real issues get put on the backburner.

Fuck, I should start a petition not to sign this petition.

This is ludicrous and if you signed it, you should check your head.

sully
10-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Man, you dudes have accused 24thminute and the guys at It's Called Football of being MLSE apologists and initially, I didn't agree. But this is incredible.

So 24th goes out with a petition to make a game that's already a write-off free to attend (who gives a good ol' shit?!?!). You guys go sign it, MLSE gets to say "we owe this to TFC supporters" and the real issues get put on the backburner.

Fuck, I should start a petition not to sign this petition.

This is ludicrous and if you signed it, you should check your head.

I agree with you. I'd sign your peition.