PDA

View Full Version : Henry eyes MLS future

werewolf
06-26-2008, 10:06 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_3739165,00.html

Barcelona striker Thierry Henry is hopeful that he will one day play in the Major League Soccer.

The profile of the domestic game in America has risen since David Beckham's move to Los Angeles Galaxy and a number of top players have expressed an interest in crossing the Atlantic.

Henry is in the country following France's early exit from Euro 2008 and on Wednesday he played in a charity match in Manhattan.

The former Arsenal forward, now 30, enjoys spending time in America and would like to move to an MLS club in the future.

"Why not?" Henry said after the game which featured Chelsea's Salomon Kalou and ex-Liverpool players Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman.

"I love America. I love it here. And whenever I come here, I feel free. Hopefully, one day. You never know what's going to happen. But at the moment, I'm still over there.

"I'm here on vacation, enjoying the town. It's an amazing town. I love New York. It's not the first time I say it. I come here quite often. It's pretty nice.

"Sometimes I do get recognised, but I feel free when I'm here, so that's the most important thing. I love it."

Henry added that he had not watched Euro 2008 since Les Bleus were eliminated with a 2-0 loss to Italy last week in Zurich.

He said: "It has nothing to do with being painful. The memory is gone. I know who won today, but that is it."

Northern Soul
06-26-2008, 10:10 AM
I'd take Henry as our striker! Sounds like He Loves NY, though. :(

flatpicker
06-26-2008, 10:14 AM
maybe we could just trick him... we could pre-plan all the travel arrangements that would get him to BMO for a negotiation... but we could change a bunch of road signs and such before hand to say New York instead of Toronto. By the time he figures it out we would already have his signature on paper!

how could that go wrong???

Canary Canuck
06-26-2008, 10:37 AM
I can understand Henry wanting to be somewhere that he can blend in and go unnoticed. I can't imagine how artificial his life must be when you can't set foot outside your house without everybody gawking at you anywhere you go. I remember another article about him coming here and he couldn't get over the fact that he could walk into a pizza place and buy a slice and eat it on a park bench without being bothered.

t.o_moose
06-26-2008, 01:36 PM
I can understand Henry wanting to be somewhere that he can blend in and go unnoticed. I can't imagine how artificial his life must be when you can't set foot outside your house without everybody gawking at you anywhere you go. I remember another article about him coming here and he couldn't get over the fact that he could walk into a pizza place and buy a slice and eat it on a park bench without being bothered.

and that's why a move to North America would be perfect.. where else can he still play professionally, make a boatload of cash, and raise his family without being harrassed 24 hours a day by the media, press and the general population?

now if we can get him to vacation up here.. maybe Robert and Tebily can show him around/convince him not to sign with the Shite Bulls. :D

Cashcleaner
06-26-2008, 01:49 PM
I figured Henry would find an interest in playing in MLS. I don't think it's gonna be as soon as next season or anything like that, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him playing over here in the next few years.