PDA

View Full Version : Rohan Ricketts: An Open letter to TFC fans.....

Oblio2
09-27-2010, 01:55 PM
So, I can get access but my blackberry just beeped that Rohan posted an atricle on Fan590.com, about an "interesting look behind the curtains at TFC"

Can someone post it?

BFin
09-27-2010, 01:56 PM
AN OPEN LETTER TO TORONTO FC FANS (http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/ricketts/2010/09/27/an-open-to-toronto-fc-fans/)

In the wake of the departure of Mo Johnston and Preki from Toronto FC. I know many fans will be happy with the board’s decision. The real job they have on their hands now is filling the void with the right people and the right philosophy. Being such a big franchise with the potential to be the biggest in the MLS, there will be many coaches with Toronto on their minds.
As a former Toronto FC player and a fan of the club, I am hoping that the powers that be, see the need for a football philosophy to be implemented throughout the club. From the academy all the way to the first team. This will give them a good base for nurturing talent to play in a system which will be used prominently throughout the club. Barcelona and Arsenal’s player development models are perfect examples of this idea. Through this philosophy you can create an identity for the club and bring forth an entertaining brand of football. If the club could achieve this objective, I believe this would be a success which the fans would embrace. It’s not every year that a team is going to make the play offs but if you can bring entertainment to the fans regardless, I feel this would provide value for the money spent on season tickets and travel expenses. Football is an art that should be displayed beautifully.
This leads me to the departure of Preki. I never met the man, but I know he came with a big reputation and high expectations. Unfortunately he did not last longer than a year.
What was sad was the brand of football he brought to BMO field. This is what I call anti football. It can win you games but its not the most entertaining or expansive way of playing. I am sure you would rather see your team go out and attack with flair and ask questions of the other team.
Football is an art that should be displayed beautifully.
I don’t think the play on the pitch was a clear indication of Mo Johnston’s work, even though I thought his business practice with individuals he did not want to keep was completely and utterly ludicrous. That’s through personal dealings and dealings with many of the former and present players.
As a player Mo had to suffer a lot of personal backlash and I think he has become severely ruthless as a result. His actions would leave a sour taste within the dressing room. Creating a tense working environment for no real reason. You have to feel you can trust your GM and that will bode well for the relationship between players and the powers that be. No trust equates to no harmony!!
I respected him more for his mental strength, I did not understand some of his decisions, especially of late. The acquisition of Mista as a DP left me dumbfounded. First off lets clarify what the DP should be bringing to the table. Some say he should be known globally which will help sell merchandise and raise the awareness of the franchise and league. While making an impact on the field with goals and assists.
First of all I don’t think there should be a DP slot any more as not one player makes the team. So to have the title of a DP brings unnecessary pressure. Take Julian De Guzman for example. Very talented player who has come under huge scrutiny because of his salary. I believe he is not understood as a player by most fans who have slated him. Playing in Spain is a whole different ball game where the value of possession, technique and tactical acumen is on another level. So to ask him to come and do what he has done over in La Liga is not so simple. It’s a different on field environment. We spoke once and I was shocked that he had come back to play in the MLS as he was peaking in his career in Europe. He has become a victim of his own success, because what he is brilliant at does not equate to a DP status in the eyes of the masses. Back in Spain he is valued for his quick passing and hustling. But you have to remember in Spain they make better angles to receive and keep the ball. It makes a big difference, I personally did not understand why they splashed so much money on him as you have a guy like Sam Cronin coming through who could have grown to be as good as Julian in the near future.
If you are going to keep the DP slot then surely Dwayne De Rosario should be a DP !! That’s not even an argument. The guy has scored most of your goals since he has been at the club. He is a homegrown player with the club in his heart and he is respected throughout the league as a match winning player. What more does the guy have to do to be given what’s given to others just because they played in Europe. It’s sending out the wrong message to players who are doing well in the league.
If the league want to move to another level, they need to allow the DP budget to be spent evenly throughout the squad, which would allow the coach, whoever that may be, to acquire more quantity of quality, rather than a big name surrounded by a team of workers. Then we would see a revolution unfold.
Coming back to Toronto and the clubs search for a new coach and GM. I hope that they give the job to someone closer to home. Maybe Nick Dasovic, who is very well liked amongst the players. He knows his stuff and has he likes to play football. My brief spell working with him was very refreshing as he was modern and made training enjoyable and productive. Mind you, I do not feel what Toronto FC will display from now until the end of the season is any reflection of Nick Dasovic, neither in a good or bad way.
Another name that I think should be thrown in the hat should be Carl Robinson. He knows the club well and has a good footballing acumen, which would be important when creating the philosophy for the club. Some may say, Robinson has no experience in management, to them I would reply, he has been a manager while playing at home and abroad, ask the players who have played with him and they will tell you. Secondly, Preki has just shown you that experience in management is not enough. Guardiola did not need experience to lead Barcelona to 5 trophies in one season. You need to acquire or develop good football players. Intelligent players with good technique. Barcelona have the blueprint for Toronto FC to follow. I would love Uncle Danny Dichio to have his say in who should be chosen along with Jimmy Brennan who are both important components to the clubs future.
I hope this gives all you Toronto fans a different perspective on how the club should consider moving forward. The club needs to win get into the play offs but also bring some stability to the technical philosophy. I say give the job to Daso or Robinson and have Dichio working alongside them. Give them time to build a philosophy like Wenger has done at Arsenal. Produce talent so you don’t have to waste money on a suspect DP. Find your own gem, your own Fabregas or Walcott. No one can tell me the talent is not there as I have been across the country and have seen it first hand. Its time for the scouts to do what they do best.
Love you Toronto see you soon Rohan Ricketts

DichioTFC
09-27-2010, 01:56 PM
http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/ricketts/2010/09/27/an-open-to-toronto-fc-fans/

Parkdale
09-27-2010, 01:59 PM
oh god..... Is anyone else really tired of Rohan Rickets?
He's spent more time as a 'former TFC player' in this city than as a player.

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/ricketts/2010/09/27/an-open-to-toronto-fc-fans/

DichioTFC
09-27-2010, 02:01 PM
^ :lol:

still, his recommendation of Robbo as a coach is an interesting one and something that hasn't been mentioned or even raised.

I would love to see Robbo as an assistant to Daso. The guys respect him and respond to him. Plus they can develop him as they are with Dichio.

Parkdale
09-27-2010, 02:03 PM
yeah, his points are good, but really.... he's been away from the team long enough that his opinion is only slightly more interesting that your average blogger (and nto as interesting as some).

maybe I'm just not used to the world of Athletes as bloggers/twitter/local gadabout

DangerRed
09-27-2010, 02:03 PM
No insight beyond the obvious (Wow, you didn't trust Mo? No fucking way!), poorly written and about two-thirds two long. He actually says "Football is an art that should be displayed beautifully" twice.

Won't this guy just go away already?

Boondaddy
09-27-2010, 02:04 PM

oh big time. Had to unfollow on twitter due to excessive, needless posts and annoying self promotion. :facepalm:

Pachuco
09-27-2010, 02:05 PM
yeah, his points are good, but really.... he's been away from the team long enough that his opinion is only slightly more interesting that your average blogger (and nto as interesting as some).

maybe I'm just not used to the world of Athletes as bloggers/twitter/local gadabout

But that's all he's trying to be now, a blogger who writes about TFC. If his opinion is slightly more interesting then your average blogger then he's doing his job no? I've stopped looking at him as an ex TFC player. I look at him as a blogger now, sometimes I like what he sells, other times I don't.

Today I think he was on point with alot of things. Robbo as coach is really quite interesting. It's interesting to hear from someone that's actually played with him that he carries himself like a coach already.

P-NUTZ
09-27-2010, 02:06 PM
robinson as coach or gm?

what a twit.

deltox
09-27-2010, 02:06 PM
^same

Nuvinho
09-27-2010, 02:10 PM
He did compliment Sam Cronin. I am sure if Daso was in charge, Cronin would still be here.

Brooker
09-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Is Robinson even ready to retire? I know he's had injuries but...

Parkdale
09-27-2010, 02:11 PM
But that's all he's trying to be now, a blogger who writes about TFC. If his opinion is slightly more interesting then your average blogger then he's doing his job no?

nope.

his writing isn't near as good as some of the real reporters (Sandor, Girard etc).

Coming up with left-field ideas doesn't actually take some rare insight.
I could say.... bring back Bob Gansler and it wouldn't make the idea
any better just because no one else is saying it. Robbo as coach is a FAR stretch.

Nuvinho
09-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Is Robinson even ready to retire? I know he's had injuries but...

Heard somewhere that he wants to go back home after this year? Just a rumour.

TFCRegina
09-27-2010, 02:12 PM

Who cares about RR speaking out?

Why be upset? Why should he be any less allowed to talk on the matter than our own qualified people (such as you and me)?

It doesn't bother me that he talks out on it. Doesn't mean he's right either.

Doesn't mean he isn't smacking us with the obvious 2 by 4.

But who cares really?

Doesn't bother me when RR says stuff.

Oldtimer
09-27-2010, 02:15 PM
I actually am interested in what he has to say.

In particular, he feels that no-one at TFC deserves DP money (although if anyone does, it's DeRo).

CretanBull
09-27-2010, 02:15 PM
I think he offers a great point of view....

Parkdale
09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Who cares about RR speaking out?

Why be upset? Why should he be any less allowed to talk on the matter than our own qualified people (such as you and me)?

It doesn't bother me that he talks out on it. Doesn't mean he's right either.

Doesn't mean he isn't smacking us with the obvious 2 by 4.

But who cares really?

Doesn't bother me when RR says stuff.

I'm not 'upset' really.... I just think it's nothing but shameless self promotion.

and where is the meat of the story? He calls the piece 'an open letter to TFC fans' but there's no real point to it.
I could write the 'TFC Supporters Manifesto' but unless there was something worthy of the title...

It's a blog entry disguised as something bigger than it really is. Classic over the top, self promotion.
Again, I'd rather read what Sandor or Girard or Jack or even Wheeler had to say about things.

TFCRegina
09-27-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm not 'upset' really.... I just think it's nothing but shameless self promotion.

and where is the meat of the story? He calls the piece 'an open letter to TFC fans' but there's no real point to it.
I could write the 'TFC Supporters Manifesto' but unless there was something worthy of the title...

It's a blog entry disguised as something bigger than it really is. Classic over the top, self promotion.
Again, I'd rather read what Sandor or Girard or Jack or even Wheeler had to say about things.

Supporters of the World unite?

There's a spectre stalking TFC...the spectre of MLSE?

backbeat
09-27-2010, 02:42 PM
i have no idea why people would be so negative towards him

what he's saying makes some sense and actually i like the fact he still keeps an eye on the team - nothing wrong with that - is there something about toronto that we have hit former players in the head with a 2x4?

he's obviously interested - so what, if you don't want to watch the channel, turn it??

i could understand it if he was being really negative about the team and city.....:facepalm:

Pachuco
09-27-2010, 02:46 PM

There are things Ricketts does that definately seem like shameless self promotion. This article doesn't strike me as one.

TFC07
09-27-2010, 02:46 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if TFC FO hire Rohan Rickets to write blogs on their site in the future.

BTW, I agree what Rohan said in his blog (except Robinson becoming a coach).

trane
09-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Funny I call much of the what Rohan did on the pitch "anti-football".

AL-MO
09-27-2010, 02:50 PM
i have no idea why people would be so negative towards him

what he's saying makes some sense and actually i like the fact he still keeps an eye on the team - nothing wrong with that - is there something about toronto that we have hit former players in the head with a 2x4?

he's obviously interested - so what, if you don't want to watch the channel, turn it??

i could understand it if he was being really negative about the team and city.....:facepalm:

I may be wrong, but its because he is an annoying self promoter, who's on field play didn't match his off the field twittering and antics. :noidea:

Wull
09-27-2010, 02:51 PM
** edit - that's over the line

Parky why are we allowed to call others that in other threads?

flatpicker
09-27-2010, 02:52 PM
I appreciate his thoughts and insights.
And I appreciate that wishes for the same kind of exciting soccer strategies at TFC as we all seemed to want while Preki was here.

He's giving an opinion, and I would suspect that he knows a bit more about the subject than most of us.

JonO
09-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Today I think he was on point with alot of things. Robbo as coach is really quite interesting. It's interesting to hear from someone that's actually played with him that he carries himself like a coach already.
Any time we had a young player being interviewed, to a man, they all identified Robbo as someone who helped their game. (I think I mentioned this in another thread, but it's relevant here too) It was just something that always stood out to me. Glad to hear it confirmed.

backbeat
09-27-2010, 03:06 PM
I may be wrong, but its because he is an annoying self promoter, who's on field play didn't match his off the field twittering and antics. :noidea:

and so he doesn't play for the team anymore, we get that....

there are many self prompters in this world - it's not all that unusual - if it annoys you then don't read it

in the end he has always been very positive on this city and interested in the team

i don't find that a bad thing

Gixmo
09-27-2010, 03:07 PM
oh big time. Had to unfollow on twitter due to excessive, needless posts and annoying self promotion. :facepalm:

Oh gawd, You too.. It was out of control

Parkdale
09-27-2010, 03:08 PM
i don't find that a bad thing

yeah, it's not a bad thing, but it's hardly a '680 News Alert - An open letter to TFC Fans' either.

it's a blog update, not some breaking newsflash of any relevance.

Hitcho
09-27-2010, 03:20 PM
I was hoping that this would spill some secrets on things like the Dichio retirement mystery, based on what he knows or has gleaned from other players. Giving wacky suggestions that TFC should become Barcelona and find our own Fabregas or hire Robbo as coach while he's still a player doesn't constitute an "open letter". It's just a series of undistilled random thoughts that popped into his head when he started thinking about who the next coach of TFC might be, and he thought he could get some publicity from it.

Rohan has managed to make himself more famous in these parts for being a laughable and unashamed publicity seeker than he was for being a player. Weird.

TOBOR !
09-27-2010, 03:45 PM
He doesn't half go on..

prizby
09-27-2010, 04:54 PM
^ :lol:

still, his recommendation of Robbo as a coach is an interesting one and something that hasn't been mentioned or even raised.

I would love to see Robbo as an assistant to Daso. The guys respect him and respond to him. Plus they can develop him as they are with Dichio.

i mentioned this somewhere along the way

and found it

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=1136845#post1136845

flatpicker
09-27-2010, 04:56 PM
^ I do recall seeing that idea floated around this forum.... probably by you I guess.

prizby
09-27-2010, 04:58 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=1136845#post1136845 ^

TFC_PB
09-27-2010, 05:00 PM
He did compliment Sam Cronin. I am sure if Daso was in charge, Cronin would still be here.

The Cronin debacle was obviously Preki's doing. San Jose seems to be getting their money's worth, too bad TFC didn't.

gtaguy
09-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Ricketts is the DON KING OF SOCCER.
Alot of the things i have read that comes out of his posts, comments,blogs and twitter crap i totally dismissed . However he does have a good point in stating that Robbo would be a good candidate for the helm of tfc..
I wouldn't go that far however bringing him back to the club would be such a good way to bring back some good vibes..
I personally don't know if Robbo or if Dasovic are ready for such a demanding job in front of the most hostile and demanding crowd of supporters in the MLS .
Somehow I would still find it comforting to have a guy like Robbo in our management team.

TOBOR !
09-27-2010, 06:40 PM
'most hostile and demanding crowd in MLS' ? You're havin' a larf !

SilverSamurai
09-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Interesting read...
Has some good points.
As for his writing style, maybe I'm not harsh like some of you, but I also don't expect him to be like a professional writer. Truth is most bloggers aren't.
I don't think this is a self-promo though. What does he have to gain from it? A couple of hundred hits on his site? Meh if thats the case.

scooterTFC
09-27-2010, 07:03 PM
He's jock writing a blog. Those who are criticizing his skills as a writer are confusing journalism with blogging - they are two different things. He’s just like any amateur writer with a blog, as a reader you have to work a little harder to understand him, but his perspective as former player is unique vs what you read from a typical journalist.

Given that there are 30 pages in the Dero “I deserve more…” thread I’m surprised nobody picked on Rohan’s very timely comments on the impact of DP signings on the morale of existing MLS players and specifically the players’ perspective on Dero‘s situation.

jloome
09-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Don't think it was anything shocking but it was appreciated hearing it from someone who used to play for the club.

Canary Canuck
09-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Is Rohan still playing in Moldova??

Stryker
09-27-2010, 10:01 PM
OMG is this guy going to link himself to the team from now till the day he dies?
The only smart thing Mo Johnson ever did was get rid of this clown and he's still trying his best to keep his foot in the door for an opprotunity to do something in Toronto.
Thanks for stating much of the obvious and some of the outlandish Rohan. Now please just go away.

zeelaw
09-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Yea me too... Nice guy and all but i had to unfollow...

I friended him on FB when he joined the club, but I eventually just hid all his stuff and the othe rweek I got a suggestion to become a "Fan" of his fan page...

jloome
09-27-2010, 10:30 PM
A whole lot of venom in this thread from people who haven't accomplished a tenth of what Ricketts has in his short life.

I tend to think the goofiness cost him the best of his career. But that was his choice. I've never seen him as anything other than a nice guy, so he doesn't deserve the vitriol in here.

People should be a little ashamed of themselves for ripping on a guy to that extent.

Hitcho
09-27-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't see any vitriol, just a bunch of honest reflections, mostly from weary exasperation at the way Rohan just won't fade off into the sunet and has to keep trying to link himself with TFC when the feeling clearly isn't reciprocated from the club or the fans. Stating that isn't vitriol, it's factual assessment.

rocker
09-27-2010, 11:23 PM
I found it funny when he got all excited on Twitter that the Fan590 let him have his own blog... haha.

Sonny Cheeba
09-28-2010, 12:13 AM
he's a bellend... just trying to remind us that he still exists.

i've never seen someone who's as much of a wannabe torontonian as that guy.

give it up dude.

Sonny Cheeba
09-28-2010, 12:18 AM
A whole lot of venom in this thread from people who haven't accomplished a tenth of what Ricketts has in his short life.

I tend to think the goofiness cost him the best of his career. But that was his choice. I've never seen him as anything other than a nice guy, so he doesn't deserve the vitriol in here.

People should be a little ashamed of themselves for ripping on a guy to that extent.

i'm not. he was a complete stuck-up asshole when i met him. which was surprising because i'd only heard good things.

thinking you're the shit and actually being the shit are two different things.

bgnewf
09-28-2010, 06:16 AM

Yeah, maybe that his Moldovan team has not paid him one red cent since he got there has something to do with it as well. He figures Toronto is a place where he can get some non foot\bal playing coin.

Oldtimer
09-28-2010, 07:08 AM
he's a bellend... just trying to remind us that he still exists.

i've never seen someone who's as much of a wannabe torontonian as that guy.

give it up dude.

Maybe he's hoping that the new coach will take him on as a player for TFC?

Pachuco
09-28-2010, 09:05 AM

Exactly how I feel. Here's a guy who once played in the top league in England who's taken a real interest in this city and this football club and people rip him apart for it. Why? because he didn't meet their expectations on the field. If he had, they wouldn't be talking. I guess in order to provide good insight you not only have to play for the club, but you have to be the best.

Hitcho
09-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Exactly how I feel. Here's a guy who once played in the top league in England who's taken a real interest in this city and this football club and people rip him apart for it. Why? because he didn't meet their expectations on the field. If he had, they wouldn't be talking. I guess in order to provide good insight you not only have to play for the club, but you have to be the best.

I don't think anyone is ripping on RR for taking an interest in TFC and TO generally, they are simply saying that he seems desperate to keep his name in the media any way he can, even when he has nothing of any note or significance or worth to say in the first place, but then tries to dress it up as being noteworthy. Whoever you are, that gets tiresome.

DangerRed
09-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Have you met him? The guy's a pompous asshole and an attention hound of the tallest order. De Ro's ego is a small speck compared to RR. Good riddance, good bye, don't come back.

EDIT: Apologies if this sounded repetitive, I now see my impressions of RR were already shared earlier by someone else.

Phil
09-28-2010, 11:54 AM
All the stuff about RR and his promo machine aside, that blog was okay and offered some intresting ideas IMO.

Oblio2
09-28-2010, 11:55 AM
I have spoken to him and he did me a small favour too.....He's a good guy, IMO

Parkdale
09-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Torontonians (all Canadians really) like their sports superstars to be humble.
Even when someone is one of the best in the world (Gretsky, Steve Nash, Crosby)
we expect them to to have a certain amount of restraint and quiet dignity.
We don't want to see our heroes doing elaborate 'touchdown dances'.

I personally believe that Ricketts is writing the blog.... because it benefits The Ricketts Brand™

was there some deep insight or scathing criticism like we've gotten from Ali Gerba or Robbo? Nope. Not even close.

P-NUTZ
09-28-2010, 12:17 PM
parkie is Ricketts obsessed

Parkdale
09-28-2010, 12:19 PM
my dream lineup:

---------Welsh----Welsh---------
-----Welsh--Welsh---Welsh------
--Welsh---Welsh---Welsh--------
---------Welsh----Welsh---------
-------------Welsh--------------

Coach: Welsh
GM: Welsh

rocker
09-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Ricketts is obsessed with being Ricketts.

Wull
09-28-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm guessing sandor would be your chief publicist too?!

Parkdale
09-28-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm guessing sandor would be your chief publicist too?!

noo.... it would be Welsh. Clearly you aren't too good at noticing patterns.

Sonny Cheeba
09-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Ricketts is obsessed with being a more popular version of Ricketts.

that's better

Wull
09-28-2010, 01:01 PM
noo.... it would be Welsh. Clearly you aren't too good at noticing patterns.

I noticed my original post!

jloome
09-28-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't see any vitriol, just a bunch of honest reflections, mostly from weary exasperation at the way Rohan just won't fade off into the sunet and has to keep trying to link himself with TFC when the feeling clearly isn't reciprocated from the club or the fans. Stating that isn't vitriol, it's factual assessment.

So calling him a "clown" and a joke isn't vitriol?

VITRIOL - vit·ri·ol (vhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifthttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifrhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/emacr.gif-http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/omacr.giflhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/lprime.gif, -http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifl)n.
2. Bitterly abusive feeling or expression.

There's actually quite a bit of that in here, I'd say.

Roogsy
09-28-2010, 04:25 PM

I have always been confused at the aggressive hate some TFC fans seem to have created for Ricketts and I still don't know why.

He loved being here.
He loved playing here.
Never complained.

Yeah, he promoted himself alot, who cares? Again, people concentrating on the wrong things. He was a silly, carefree guy who did a lot for charities, played his guts out and loves the city (so much that he actually does a lot of Toronto promoting on his own). And considering some of the lack of talent Toronto has suffered in the last couple of years, at his price, I still would have taken Ricketts back.

He is A-O-K in my books.

ensco
09-28-2010, 04:32 PM
The guy plays and scores in a Spurs vs Arsenal game at age 21, now he has to go to Moldova to get a game at age 27. It's a cruel way to make a living.

It's tough. These guys have a lot of trouble figuring out what they're going to do with the rest of their lives.

I've got zero issue with any player trading on his name recognition to try to get a leg up.

backbeat
09-28-2010, 04:33 PM
I have always been confused at the aggressive hate some TFC fans seem to have created for Ricketts and I still don't know why.

He loved being here.
He loved playing here.
Never complained.

Yeah, he promoted himself alot, who cares? Again, people concentrating on the wrong things. He was a silly, carefree guy who did a lot for charities, played his guts out and loves the city (so much that he actually does a lot of Toronto promoting on his own). And considering some of the lack of talent Toronto has suffered in the last couple of years, at his price, I still would have taken Ricketts back.

He is A-O-K in my books.

totally agree - i could see it if all he ever did was put the city and team down once he left but it's the complete opposite - and so what if he promotes himself, a lot of people do that, big deal.

I don't know I put it down to that quirky Toronto syndrome of this need to put sports teams/players down - weird

jloome
09-28-2010, 04:42 PM
The guy plays and scores in a Spurs vs Arsenal game at age 21, now he has to go to Moldova to get a game at age 27. It's a cruel way to make a living.

It's tough. These guys have a lot of trouble figuring out what they're going to do with the rest of their lives.

I've got zero issue with any player trading on his name recognition to try to get a leg up.

To me, the tragic reality is that Rohan isn't as serious as his talent was. If he'd had focus and that killer tenacity, he'd have had a lengthy career at the top level, because he certainly had the potential.

jloome
09-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Seriously, he'd get a better game playing USL/NASL over here, probably make more, too. But he wants to be close to the top euro nations durign the season in case a team needs a winger.

You just don't get taken over from MLS at that level, but getting out of of a semi-pro contract at a team in Moldova is a lot easier, if you think a Barnley or Luton or Dundee needs a winger in a pinch.

It's a very negative way to play out a career limited due to a lack of competitive intensity. I'll still say his two-goal game was, along with the game when he and Tyler Rosenlund led the second team due to absences, among my favorite TFC performances.

Hitcho
09-28-2010, 05:12 PM
So calling him a "clown" and a joke isn't vitriol?

VITRIOL - vit·ri·ol (vhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifthttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifrhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/emacr.gif-http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/omacr.giflhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/lprime.gif, -http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifl)n.
2. Bitterly abusive feeling or expression.

There's actually quite a bit of that in here, I'd say.

Oh come on Jezza, no, it's not! How is the term clown "bitterly abusive"?! It's a pretty mild name to pin on someone, in fact it's hard to come up with a less abusive name for someone that isn't an outright compliment. Where does "f@cking c*nt" feature on the scale if "clown" is "bitterly abusive"?!

And besides you shoot yourself in the foot here because your own post refers to his "goofiness" which frankly isn't very far removed from terms like "clown" and "joke".

So either you are pouring your own "vitriol" on the fire or, more realistically, you're making too much of relatively harmless comments which for the most part are focused on his constant media pimping rather than on him personally (some exceptions above noted as they are aimed at him personally and not his constant splurge of blogging etc).

Anyway, I think this point is now :deadhorse:.

Hitcho out.

greatwhitenorf
09-28-2010, 10:22 PM
He had insights only a player could get and uses them to express some original views and points worth discussing. Maybe he wasn't the greatest player, but writing about the game post-playing days doesn't justify the juvenile abuse some have dished out.

Obviously, none of you recall Paul James' days in a Hamilton Steelers kit.

Ricketts has lived life within the game a little more than most, travelled well and maybe he's a great judge of the characters he meets.

I found him to be knowledgeable, quick-witted and very pleasant to talk to. Wouldn't have him back on the team, but glad to read his takes on the game. Same deal with Jammo.