PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Bid

colman1860
09-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi Everyone

Do you guys know if the TFC's expansion presentation ever became public? Aka is it available online, the way the MLS Cup 2010 bid was? Alternatively, another recent expansion team's presentation bid would also be good (Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, Montreal, etc.)

Thanks for your help guys

Colman:scarf:

kodiakTFC
09-27-2010, 01:16 PM
I know that the Portland bid had a pdf that was leaked. Wish I still had it because it was cool, showed some numbers we'd never seen before like season ticket holders per market.

EDIT: http://www.portlandonline.com/omf/index.cfm?c=49495&a=231170 page 16.

colman1860
09-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks kodiak - this helps a lot!

Canada72
09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Interesting things in here:

-TFC MLS 2007 ticket prices second highest pg.14
-TFC has cheapest Soccer Sperific Stadium pg.25
-TFC in 2007 has the league high average for concession sales of over $11 per person pg.34
-TFC in 2007 had the league high average for merchandise sales of $4.03 per person pg.36

menefreghista
09-27-2010, 03:11 PM
-TFC in 2007 has the league high average for concession sales of over $11 per person pg.34
-TFC in 2007 had the league high average for merchandise sales of $4.03 per person pg.36

I'd be interested to know what these numbers are like today.

The concession numbers have probably stayed the same. But the merchandise lines are almost non existent these days. The lines are minuscule in comparison to 2007 and even 2008.

DichioTFC
09-27-2010, 03:12 PM
^ They've probably increased prices as a result. How much was a white jersey when it first came out? Like $120 before tax?

menefreghista
09-27-2010, 03:15 PM
^ They've probably increased prices as a result. How much was a white jersey when it first came out? Like $120 before tax?

The jersey prices have always pissed me off. And its the main reason why I still only have the Season 1 "Toronto FC" red jersey. We have the most ridiculous jersey prices in this league.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-27-2010, 03:18 PM
The jersey prices have always pissed me off. And its the main reason why I still only have the Season 1 "Toronto FC" red jersey. We have the most ridiculous jersey prices in this league.

In 2007 I remember browsing both the American and Canadian Adidas web sites for TFC jerseys. TFC replica jerseys were listed at $65 on the US site and $100 on the Canadian site, despite an exchange rate that was no worse than today's.

DichioTFC
09-27-2010, 03:20 PM
^ 100% right. Its like how baseball jerseys are. It's ridiculously overpriced.

Btw, the thing that I'm most intrigued about is how Portland anticipates declining attendance and is marking up the cost of the ticket to compensate. It's truly like TFC's situation.

People don't renew? Take it out on the guys that are still sticking around.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Interesting things in here:

-TFC MLS 2007 ticket prices second highest pg.14
-TFC has cheapest Soccer Sperific Stadium pg.25

Is that in terms of construction price? Our stadium is pretty cheap, but Crew Stadium has us beat - it cost only $28.5 million to build.

DichioTFC
09-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Is that in terms of construction price? Our stadium is pretty cheap, but Crew Stadium has us beat - it cost only $28.5 million to build.

I don't think they factored in that it was in Canadian dollars.

Crew stadium, adjusted for inflation, is like $35M today. Still a good price though.

Joe Kool
09-27-2010, 03:49 PM

That's funny. I am the same way. I wear my season 1 jersey all year every year because I have a hard time spending the full price on the new jerseys as a matter of principal. I buy current EPL jerseys with badges, name and number delivered to my house for $74 and if I get in on a good sale at the same place at the end of the season it is for $40. I think the authentic ones for TFC are still going for $129 with $35 for cresting....forget it.

Super
09-27-2010, 04:09 PM
I saw a home jersey priced at $59 USD at the New England team store on the second road game of the year. We pay double. No big surprise.

Beach_Red
09-27-2010, 04:19 PM
I saw a home jersey priced at $59 USD at the New England team store on the second road game of the year. We pay double. No big surprise.

Yes, Anselmi has explained "supply and demand" is how all the prices are set by MLSE.

Which would be a lot easier to take if they weren't a monopoly in this region and a member of a single-entity league.

kodiakTFC
09-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks kodiak - this helps a lot!

Yay! I would love to see updated numbers because i bet the Galaxy are down and Red Bulls way up (6-8x).

-Anyone else shocked how high the Revs numbers are? Hmm.
-I would love to see how Kansas went from under 500 season tickets to what they'll have next year in their shiny new stadium. Good for them.
-BMO pays 2.7 million a year for "BMO Field"
-Portland only expects to get about 12000 average ticket sales per game after their first year. No chance, they'll be in the 16 at least.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Yes, Anselmi has explained "supply and demand" is how all the prices are set by MLSE.

Which would be a lot easier to take if they weren't a monopoly in this region and a member of a single-entity league.

Here's a lesson in supply and demand that Anselmi should appreciate:

Supply:
Tom Anselmi's head
One pike

Demand:
The fans' desire to put Anselmi's head on top of said pike

Tom Anselmi should count his blessings that he still has a job. With any other team in this league, the pike and a guillotine would've been sharpened ages ago.

Hitcho
09-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Tom Anselmi should count his blessings that he still has a job. With any other team in this league, the pike and a guillotine would've been sharpened ages ago.

Who said we'd sharpen them? :D

Beach_Red
09-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Here's a lesson in supply and demand that Anselmi should appreciate:

Supply:
Tom Anselmi's head
One pike

Demand:
The fans' desire to put Anselmi's head on top of said pike

You're absolutely right.

But for four years we didn't see his name on this board at all. He hired a guy with a half-season experience in management to build an expansion team from the ground up and let him flail for years before finally getting rid of him and we never really took him to task for that. We were satisfied blaming the guy who never should have had the job in the first place and calling out players after every game.

If there's finally going to be heat on upper management that's great.