PDA

View Full Version : I hope Frei Leaves

nobodybeatsthewiz
09-26-2010, 02:13 AM
It's inevitable, the kid is flat out just too good for us; for the dregs of TFC; our constant letdown, sub-par effort or play, what have you; what we give him, or.....fail to give him.

I understand I'm resolving myself to 'defeat' of sorts by saying this, but be all know he's destined for bigger and better things, so why not sooner rather than later while he's still on the steepest part of his upswing.

As much as it'll result in a fairly material effect on our team and win-loss record, he deserves it and when that inevitability does happen i for one will be very happy for him and hope it's to a good side in a good league with lots of playing time.

razor787
09-26-2010, 02:18 AM
I agree he will go, but I am going to have to agree with what I have seen other people say. He is too young to be swept away right now. As a keeper, he needs gametime to progress his skills, make mistakes, and learn.

Signing with another team right now, would likely mean a #2 spot (or 3) and him stagnating on the bench. It makes more sence for the clubs that may want him, and frei himself, if he stayed on a team where he was going to be the starter, and has to face more shots than any other team in the league.

There really isn't a better team for him to develop than us IMO.

DichioTFC
09-26-2010, 02:21 AM
Waiting for the players to exit the building after the game to get photos and thanks the players for working hard all game / season. Frei was one of the guys I got a photo with and someone asked him to *please* stay next season. He laughed and smiled and said that he wants to be.

Sure it could be a *professional* answer, but seemed sincere about wanting to stick around. I'm hoping we keep him and I think he'll still be here in March.

razor787
09-26-2010, 02:29 AM
I remember seeing a video of him when he first got drafted. He was saying how he hadn't even heard of our team, and even though he said he was excited for the opportunity, I got the feeling that he wished he was drafted somewhere else.

I do believe that mindset has changed, and that he loves the city and club. But whether he loves it or not, frei will do what frei needs to do. If he gets a good offer from a European side, and he feels he is ready, then he may leave partway through the year. Hopefully he knows it's not time for a move yet

__wowza
09-26-2010, 02:56 AM
There really isn't a better team for him to develop than us IMO.

:rolleyes: cause he gets so much more practice with us, he's developing twice as fast. most other keepers stare at the action from the other end of the pitch for 89 minutes!

razor787
09-26-2010, 03:12 AM
My point exactly. We are such a poor team, that he faces more shots than he would face anywhere. There isnt another team he would go to, where he would develop as fast

CretanBull
09-26-2010, 04:20 AM
He'll have to comand his area better, improve the way he handles set-peices, learn to deal with crosses into the box better, become more decisive/aggressive dealing with corner kicks and distribute the ball better before he goes to Europe. I'd say only his shot-blocking is up to par with other keepers playing in good (top 5) European leagues.

Don't get me wrong, he's an excellent MLS keeper and getting better all the time but he is where he should be IMO. His future is in Europe, but I don't think his immedate future is...at least not as a starter or a back-up who can expect to get a few starts in a top league.

DichioTFC
09-26-2010, 04:31 AM
He'll have to comand his area better, improve the way he handles set-peices, learn to deal with crosses into the box better, become more decisive/aggressive dealing with corner kicks and distribute the ball better before he goes to Europe. I'd say only his shot-blocking is up to par with other keepers playing in good (top 5) European leagues.

Don't get me wrong, he's an excellent MLS keeper and getting better all the time but he is where he should be IMO. His future is in Europe, but I don't think his immedate future is...at least not as a starter or a back-up who can expect to get a few starts in a top league.

Agree. We overstate his value all the time because we've seen how many times he's saved our bacon, but let's be honest, he's got flaws and I don't even think he's the best keeper in the league (Rimando has 80.2 save percentage and 0.65 goals against, Frei has 72.3 save percentage and 1.19 goals against).

Frei will be wearing a TFC shirt next season.

TorCanSoc
09-26-2010, 07:17 AM

Nice Analysis.

But man that was an awesome save against Geovanni last night. The wall looked like a picket fence, Frei to the rescue. Awesome.

CretanBull
09-26-2010, 07:21 AM
No doubt, he's a very, very good MLS keeper - I'm glad that we have him and he's made several fantastic reaction saves (the kind of thing that can't be taught!) but when it comes to the tactical side of being a keeper, he's behind guy who are playing in Europe's top leagues. He'll get there, but for now I think he's playing at the level and in the league that he should be. Just my opinion though ;)

ParadymeTFC
09-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Agree. We overstate his value all the time because we've seen how many times he's saved our bacon, but let's be honest, he's got flaws and I don't even think he's the best keeper in the league (Rimando has 80.2 save percentage and 0.65 goals against, Frei has 72.3 save percentage and 1.19 goals against).

Frei will be wearing a TFC shirt next season.

You have to take into account the shit back four he has to work with also, I think you would see much less of those flaws if he had a world class back line.