PDA

View Full Version : We advance in Champions League if...

09-23-2010, 07:42 AM
There’s no longer an easy way to the next round. Here are the only possibilities for us to get through.

Let’s assume we have to go W-W (we could go through on W-D, but Cruz would have to go L-L, so let’s keep that one on the back burner).

1) We actually control our own destiny if we go W-W and:

Beat Real 3-0 / Beat Arabe any score
Beat Real 4-1 / Beat Arabe by two
Beat Real by 4 / Beat Arabe any score

2) If we go W-W, but only beat Real by 1 or 2 then we need help.

We need Cruz to drop a point (draw or lose) vs. Arabe in Week 5, or
We need a winner in the Cruz vs. Real game in Week 6.

So. I’m thinking 3-0 on Tuesday? :)

Cheers,
Martyn

Parkdale
09-23-2010, 07:52 AM
I love math

Chevy
09-23-2010, 08:13 AM
ummm...I think we will try option #2.

stugautz
09-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Lets just worry about winning.

Shway
09-23-2010, 08:39 AM
there goin to need us more than ever!

09-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Lets just worry about winning.

Unfortunately, that's the point. We can't just worry about winning. We need to win 3-0, or 4-1 or get help from others.

The "worry about winning" ship sailed when we gave away points in Panama.

greatwhitenorf
09-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Marlon Mejia, the disgraceful referee who handled our visit to Arabe Unido, must have something against MLS clubs. His 78 min. penalty call on Seattle gave Monterrey the lead in their 3-2 win, eliminating Seattle from advancing.

Be interesting - and a little scary - if we get him up here for a game.

Blizzard
09-23-2010, 09:14 AM
There’s no longer an easy way to the next round. Here are the only possibilities for us to get through.

Let’s assume we have to go W-W (we could go through on W-D, but Cruz would have to go L-L, so let’s keep that one on the back burner).

1) We actually control our own destiny if we go W-W and:

Beat Real 3-0 / Beat Arabe any score
Beat Real 4-1 / Beat Arabe by two
Beat Real by 4 / Beat Arabe any score

2) If we go W-W, but only beat Real by 1 or 2 then we need help.

We need Cruz to drop a point (draw or lose) vs. Arabe in Week 5, or
We need a winner in the Cruz vs. Real game in Week 6.

So. I’m thinking 3-0 on Tuesday? :)

Cheers,
Martyn

If we defeat RSL at BMO, assuming that CA defeat AU in Mexico City, that would put the table after five games at:

CA - 10
RSL - 9
TFC - 7
AU - 3

So, after six games, assuming we defeat AU at BMO, as you say, we need a victory for either team at Rio Tinto.

If CA defeats RSL, the table would be:

CA - 13
TFC - 10
RSL - 9
AU - 3

IF RSL defeats CA, the table would be:

RSL - 12
TFC - 10
CA - 10
AU - 3

We advance on our head to head success via CA.

Fixed: If they draw:

CA - 11
RSL - 10
TFC - 10
AU - 3

Goal difference would be the deciding factor. Thanks to 117 for the correction.

Obviously, all TFC can do is go for the victories and hope that the other cards fall in our favour.

KdotOdot
09-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Lmfao

Fort York Redcoat
09-23-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm good with 1 nil or 2-1 win for us v Salt Lake. I'm confident that there will be a winner in the Cruz/Salt Lake match.

Chevy
09-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Since a tie in that last CA/RSL game will put them both through, we also need to hope that they don't just go for a gentle stroll in that final game.

Blizzard
09-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Since a tie in that last CA/RSL game will put them both through, we also need to hope that they don't just go for a gentle stroll in that final game.

Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_v_Austria_%281982%29

__wowza
09-23-2010, 09:29 AM
a win will no doubt put a hefty amount of polish on the turd that is CONCACAF champions league play.

09-23-2010, 09:40 AM
If they draw:

RSL - 12
CA - 11
TFC - 10
AU - 3

No, if they draw, Real would have 10 points, same as us.

That's why the scores of our next two games are important.

H Bomb
09-23-2010, 09:43 AM
If we get 10 points from the group, and dont advance, i'd be cool with it. I'd rather move on, but 10 points is decent. We'll always be looking back at the joke in Panama though.

Blizzard
09-23-2010, 10:28 AM
No, if they draw, Real would have 10 points, same as us.

That's why the scores of our next two games are important.

Fixed. Thank you. Silly me.

B

ManUtd4ever
09-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks to the wasted opportunity in Panama, our only realistic chance of advancing is to win both fixtures at BMO Field and hope that RSL fields a good enough squad to beat Cruz Azul in Salt Lake City...

Technorgasm
09-23-2010, 11:05 AM
If we get 10 points from the group, and dont advance, i'd be cool with it. I'd rather move on, but 10 points is decent. We'll always be looking back at the joke in Panama though.

What MAtty said.
What a farce of football that was. . . tiem to keep focussed on the job ahead though.

GDiff what it is. . lets just give the home fans something to cheer about

(my only real expectation of this team, from 2007 today and for teh forseeabel future. . . score in home games)

Technorgasm
09-23-2010, 11:14 AM
there goin to need us more than ever!

post of the month - :flare:

TFCRegina
09-23-2010, 11:30 AM
So basically we need to win.

This is how it should be, fighting until the whistle is blown.

romburgundy
09-23-2010, 11:35 AM
http://www.yourroadmaptohome.com/news/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/gk324_flying-pig-rgb-final_lr_web.jpg

Juanito
09-23-2010, 12:43 PM
That should be the goal. Win twice, win big! Step on their throats and don't let up!!!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-23-2010, 02:13 PM
We'll end up TIED in points with CRUZ...10pts.......and we will advance on the tiebreaker! :)

We beat RSL and the diving cunts...and then RSL beat cruz at home!

Mikey
09-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Score three or four goals...in one game?

Blizzard
09-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks to the wasted opportunity in Panama, our only realistic chance of advancing is to win both fixtures at BMO Field and hope that RSL fields a good enough squad to beat Cruz Azul in Salt Lake City...

Or CA defeats RSL in Salt Lake City.

Two wins for us and RSL don't draw CA and we're in. A draw and those two get in. That's my big worry. RSL would be stuck on nine points while we would have ten.

Shway
09-23-2010, 02:31 PM
making a bold statement:

If we make it in, we WILL win the champions league!

Stugatzo
09-24-2010, 08:09 AM
I think what you mean is...

http://sp6.fotolog.com/photo/6/50/54/rick_hunter_rdf/1232561459678_f.jpg

maninb
09-24-2010, 08:35 AM
I think what will happen is that Cruz and RSL will shake hands before the game KNOWING that a tie gets them both in....assuming we win both our games....in other words WE'RE DONE!!!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-24-2010, 08:41 AM
I think what will happen is that Cruz and RSL will shake hands before the game KNOWING that a tie gets them both in....assuming we win both our games....in other words WE'RE DONE!!!

if anything....if RSL has any dreams of winning this CL....and in my mind they have as good as chance as anyone in this...

I think if they have a chance to knock out a team who has been as sucessfull as Cruz Azul in this tourny in the past...I most likely think they would want put them out... and get them out of the way! ???

Section 117
09-24-2010, 08:53 AM
The more I read this thread the more I hate Preki that cunt!!!!

We had qualifications in our hands if only we started a decent squad against those Panamanian cunts

Oldtimer
09-24-2010, 09:09 AM
if anything....if RSL has any dreams of winning this CL....and in my mind they have as good as chance as anyone in this...

I think if they have a chance to knock out a team who has been as sucessfull as Cruz Azul in this tourny in the past...I most likely think they would want put them out... and get them out of the way! ???

Imagine playing in Rio Tinto in February. Not as cold as BMO Field, but certainly a reasonable option for RSL. Those Mexicans would freeze! I think that RSL would have a decent chance of winning it all.

09-24-2010, 09:35 AM
It'd be great to be up 2-nil at the half on Tuesday. Spend the second half searching for the elusive third goal while knowing we have to keep a clean sheet!!

Then spending a month savouring the fact that a win of any sort at home in chilly October night against those diving Panamanian bastards will send us through.

This is my dream. :)

Darlofletch
09-24-2010, 09:39 AM

It's a very good point, who would you rather meet down the line when things get serious. Cruz azul, or whatever the hell tfc 2011 looks like.

are clubs from the same group kept apart in the knockout stages?

werewolf
09-24-2010, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we get FIFA'ed. Win both matches, and see RSL/Cruz Azul play an entertaining re-enactment of Denmark/Sweden Euro '04. Don't be surprised to see a camera shot of Platini in the crowd, to signal the fix being in.

Oh btw, the match in Salt Lake on the last match-day starts after our match finishes, so the teams will know exactly what they have to do to get the results...LMAO...Concacaf...

Fort York Redcoat
09-24-2010, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we get FIFA'ed. Win both matches, and see RSL/Cruz Azul play an entertaining re-enactment of Denmark/Sweden Euro '04. Don't be surprised to see a camera shot of Platini in the crowd, to signal the fix being in.

Oh btw, the match in Salt Lake on the last match-day starts after our match finishes, so the teams will know exactly what they have to do to get the results...LMAO...Concacaf...

This is reta7ded. Can't wait to see them Concalaf.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-24-2010, 09:51 AM

If MLSe has any brains at all...they will bring this up as fast as they can to Concacaf.....its just not right.....guess we will have to point it out to them....:rolleyes:...cause im sure they dont know what you just explained..

werewolf
09-24-2010, 09:55 AM
If MLSe has any brains at all...they will bring this up as fast as they can to Concacaf.....its just not right.....guess we will have to point it out to them....:rolleyes:...cause im sure they dont know what you just explained..

If I recall, the TFC management won some type of award for being the best of something recently. I am sure they have already put the wheels in motion to get the kick-offs changed to be at the same time...can't imagine they would rely on the supporters to point that out, especially when the schedule has been out for a few months. I would like to go a step beyond that and ask the Front Office what Concacaf said when they first brought this issue up to them...surely they have been pressing this issue for an extended period of time.

Mikey
09-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Once again we are reduced to relying on other teams suffering alien abductions or breakouts of dengue fever for us to move to the next round.....

Juanito
09-24-2010, 12:29 PM
We've been CONCACAFed .... bollocks!!

Juanito
09-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Once again we are reduced to relying on other teams suffering alien abductions or breakouts of dengue fever for us to move to the next round.....

Sounds like a plan! ROAD TRIP!!!

Oldtimer
09-24-2010, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we get FIFA'ed. Win both matches, and see RSL/Cruz Azul play an entertaining re-enactment of Denmark/Sweden Euro '04. Don't be surprised to see a camera shot of Jack Warner in the crowd, to signal the fix being in.

FYP!!!

maninb
09-24-2010, 01:56 PM

My point exactly.....

Canada72
09-24-2010, 06:36 PM

This is unbelievable!! I'm guessing there is no way the RSL game can start 2 hours earlier?

How can we delay our game 2 hours?

This sucks we won't know if TFC makes it through when the whistle blows at the end of the game.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-24-2010, 07:20 PM
This is unbelievable!! I'm guessing there is no way the RSL game can start 2 hours earlier?

This sucks we won't know if TFC makes it through when the whistle blows at the end of the game.

Any chance MLSE would put the game on at BMO(BIG SCREEN) after our game...if we are still in the hunt?????

Oldtimer
09-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Any chance MLSE would put the game on at BMO(BIG SCREEN) after our game...if we are still in the hunt?????

That would be an awfully late night for their staff. I'm sure they have family obligations etc. Watching it at Shoeless is a much better option.

Heart of Stone
09-24-2010, 09:34 PM

Because you know the mormans and the mexicans hate us... mountain dew & hot sauce what could possibly go wrong in real tinto...

FluSH
09-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Can we just beat Arabe Unido... like seriously just beat them down... lol

Blizzard
09-25-2010, 12:38 PM

You don't do either. One hour earlier for RSL and one hour later for us at BMO.

Presto.

B

Jeffro
09-25-2010, 12:53 PM
RSL and Cruz Azul will know before our game even starts that a draw is good enough to go through.

09-27-2010, 10:19 AM
RSL and Cruz Azul will know before our game even starts that a draw is good enough to go through.

If we don't win 3-nil, 4-1 or by four goals tomorrow night, RSL and Cruz Azul are going to know a month in advance that a draw is good enough to go through.

I think it's nuts that the final matches aren't being played at the same time, but in this case, it may not really matter. Since we're so far adrift.

P-NUTZ
09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
rsl and crud azhole will play to a yawning 0-0.
Then, congratulate each other with giddy hugs and lots of bum sniffing.

SmokedPanda
09-27-2010, 03:23 PM

they will tell us to go down to the new Real Sports bar to watch the game and get 10% off our first round of drinks with our game ticket. North America's #1 sports bar

Canada72
09-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Go figure, tonight's games are at the same time?!?
Cruz Azul v Arabe 20:00 EST
TFC v RSL 20:00 EST

I'll be checking my iPhone for updates, could Arabe get a point??

Oldtimer
09-28-2010, 11:25 AM

I wonder if TFC complained to CONCACAF?

Carts
09-28-2010, 11:33 AM

We did - and they beat us...

Redpunkfiddle
09-28-2010, 12:32 PM
I have become a big UNIDO fan for tonight. I ll be waving my diving crying hankie while keeping an eye on that score tonight.