PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Sep.23

denime
09-23-2010, 05:17 AM
Mornin'

Toronto FC gets help in CONCACAF group (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/09/23/sp-concacaf-champ.html)

Reds Return Home (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/09/reds-return-home)

Reds Cann-Not Be Moved (http://www.torontofc.ca/content/reds-cann-not-be-moved)

A Familiar Face Returns Saturday (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/09/familiar-face-returns-saturday)

Dasovic Draws On His Own Experience (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/09/dasovic-draws-his-own-experience)

Charity Equipment Drive Saturday (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/09/charity-equipment-drive-saturday)

SUNSHINE:yum: (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

DOMIN8R
09-23-2010, 05:39 AM
The trend continues.

Anyone else think that it's interesting that 5 out 6 news articles have been authored by the MLSE? Good business decision to try and monopolize the flow of information about the team?

I wonder if it's time to consider linking to independent TFC blogs to make sure the news section reflects a variety of opinions and perspectives rather than the team ownership.

These days, Hassif Hossain and Luke Wileman material are essentially TFC santionned blog entries.

Just a thought.

DOMIN8R
09-23-2010, 05:52 AM
Of course, that probably means more work. D already does alot. So I should probably shut my trap.

denime
09-23-2010, 06:37 AM
I have no problem with that at all.I think blog writers should post their new blogs here like some of them already do.It will save me some time and we will have latest blogs posted all the time

ArmenJBX
09-23-2010, 06:51 AM
I planned to but told that it would be spamming if I make multiple links

ManUtd4ever
09-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Interesting comments from Sam Cronin regarding the changes in Toronto. I wish he was still a Red...

“It will be fun to be back in Toronto. I made some good friends there and had some good memories there. It will be good to catch up with some guys, but most importantly it is a big game for the Earthquakes. I am part of this team now and I will be focused on winning. Hopefully we can keep the momentum going that we have gained in the last few weeks.

Cronin has been keeping an eye on the changes at Toronto FC and believes the promotion of Nick Dasovic to the role of Interim Head Coach will make the Reds a much more difficult team to play against. “He is very well respected by the players and they want to play for him. He works very hard for the team.” Explained the 23-year-old Wake Forest product.

“Toronto are a dangerous team to play against now because they weren’t doing well and now they have something to play for. I think it will be an inspired Toronto team we see at the weekend. They won’t give up and will keep fighting. Three points is almost a must for them so it is going to be a tough game and we will have to make sure we are up for it.”

Phil
09-23-2010, 07:28 AM

Its cool if you do it in the daily news I think. As Denime said, its saves some work and centralizes the info for people.

Technorgasm
09-23-2010, 07:32 AM
holy fuck there needs to be a DEN-NEEEM *(Denime) Appreciation thread.

I really appreciate the daily news, one stop, one source and convos with teh LAds. WELL IN.

THanks.

Giles.

ArmenJBX
09-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Alright, here you go :D

Double Leafs All The Way (http://tfcteens.blogspot.com/2010/09/double-leafs-all-way.html)

Oldtimer
09-23-2010, 07:38 AM

Just post in the news thread, not in the TFC Teens thread. No need for a special thread for your blog.

Just as a note here, many people have told me they don't like bloggers posting links, and prefer to only read professional journalists. A proper balance is allowing a single post.

scooter
09-23-2010, 07:38 AM
mornin d

Roogsy
09-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Sending Cronin away was one of our worst mistakes. He came CHEAP and probalby would have been as effective in the DM role as JDG at 1/20th the price.

I touched on this issue months ago. In MLS, you have to build a team smart and efficiently. Well Cronin was one of those pieces that makes teams fit under the cap well and we gave him away for a box of nails.

Nuvinho
09-23-2010, 08:41 AM
I want Cronin back. He gave 100% out there, left everything on the field. He did whatever the coach told him to do, play RM, play RB, play CM, play CDM. I still don't think we used him to the best of his ability.

Cronin>Sanyang or Saric or Nane

menefreghista
09-23-2010, 08:45 AM
And just to add insult to injury, Cronin was moved to make cap room for Mista.

Shway
09-23-2010, 08:50 AM
what did we get for him anyway?
was it an 8th round draft pick?

menefreghista
09-23-2010, 08:52 AM
what did we get for him anyway?
was it an 8th round draft pick?

LOL. Something like that. And allocation money. Which was the key I think.

He was probably the one guy Preki didn't like that could actually command trade value, as minuscule as it may have been.

Wull
09-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Sending Cronin away was one of our worst mistakes. He came CHEAP and probalby would have been as effective in the DM role as JDG at 1/20th the price.

I touched on this issue months ago. In MLS, you have to build a team smart and efficiently. Well Cronin was one of those pieces that makes teams fit under the cap well and we gave him away for a box of nails.

and now we don't have the hard head of preki to drive them in!

James17930
09-23-2010, 09:51 AM
And just to add insult to injury, Cronin was moved to make cap room for Mista.

What's the latest with Mista?

We've heard nothing.

menefreghista
09-23-2010, 10:05 AM
What's the latest with Mista?

We've heard nothing.

I have no clue. Even the TFC Ministry of Propaganda barely talks about the guy.

A DP not playing should be massive news. But this guy is a mystery.

Beach_Red
09-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Interesting comments from Sam Cronin regarding the changes in Toronto. I wish he was still a Red...

“It will be fun to be back in Toronto. I made some good friends there and had some good memories there. It will be good to catch up with some guys, but most importantly it is a big game for the Earthquakes. I am part of this team now and I will be focused on winning. Hopefully we can keep the momentum going that we have gained in the last few weeks.

Cronin has been keeping an eye on the changes at Toronto FC and believes the promotion of Nick Dasovic to the role of Interim Head Coach will make the Reds a much more difficult team to play against. “He is very well respected by the players and they want to play for him. He works very hard for the team.” Explained the 23-year-old Wake Forest product.

“Toronto are a dangerous team to play against now because they weren’t doing well and now they have something to play for. I think it will be an inspired Toronto team we see at the weekend. They won’t give up and will keep fighting. Three points is almost a must for them so it is going to be a tough game and we will have to make sure we are up for it.”

Yes, very interesting. I hope he gets a fair chance at the job. Of course, everyone wants the new GM to be able to pick his own people but I hope Dasovic gets proper consideration.

Makes you wonder what might have been had he been given the interim job instead of Cummins. This team has been a mess for so long. I wonder who really picked Carver for the job (and who else was considered then) and then who decided to give it to Cummins instead of Dasovic when he quit.

I do wonder who is really running this team.

ManUtd4ever
09-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Yes, very interesting. I hope he gets a fair chance at the job. Of course, everyone wants the new GM to be able to pick his own people but I hope Dasovic gets proper consideration.

Makes you wonder what might have been had he been given the interim job instead of Cummins. This team has been a mess for so long. I wonder who really picked Carver for the job (and who else was considered then) and then who decided to give it to Cummins instead of Dasovic when he quit.

I do wonder who is really running this team.

Well, it's obviously too early to tell but the players seem to have responded to Dasovic in a positive manner. Daso has already demonstrated the ability to alter his tactical approach relative to each match. I don't think he was given enough time to realistically lead this team into the post season but if TFC can finish the season on a positive note he should definitely garner serious consideration to have the interim tag removed from his title...

TOBOR !
09-23-2010, 11:19 AM
re : blogs.

Why not have the techies post a blog directory along with date of last update. Maybe you could sort such a directory by name or by date, or the blogs could be flagged to indicate new entry since you last read it.

Super
09-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Mornin'

Toronto FC gets help in CONCACAF group (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/09/23/sp-concacaf-champ.html)

How are we helped by RSL beating Arabe Unido? Wouldn't it have helped us more if Arabe Unido won the game?

Shway
09-23-2010, 11:40 AM
^thats what i thought
really and trully

Toronto Ruffrider
09-23-2010, 11:54 AM

Having read this piece, I'd like to know how last night's win by RSL did us any favours. Next Tuesday's game against RSL is a must-win game. With Cruz Azul playing Arabe Unido at home, the best-case scenario for the standings looks like this:

Cruz Azul: 10 pts
RSL: 9 pts
TFC: 7 pts
Arabe Unido: 3 pts

It goes without saying that our last group game against Arabe Unido is a must-win game as well. Even if we win this game, though, RSL and Cruz Azul could just play to a draw and they'd both advance. Our destiny isn't quite in our hands, as it were.

Canary Canuck
09-23-2010, 12:49 PM
OB White called up by Jamaica. I hear they're short on pylons for their training sessions which might explain this call up

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/Stephenson--Fuller-recalled-for-T-amp-T-clash_7987545

bgnewf
09-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Having read this piece, I'd like to know how last night's win by RSL did us any favours. Next Tuesday's game against RSL is a must-win game. With Cruz Azul playing Arabe Unido at home, the best-case scenario for the standings looks like this:

Cruz Azul: 10 pts
RSL: 9 pts
TFC: 7 pts
Arabe Unido: 3 pts

It goes without saying that our last group game against Arabe Unido is a must-win game as well. Even if we win this game, though, RSL and Cruz Azul could just play to a draw and they'd both advance. Our destiny isn't quite in our hands, as it were.

It did not do us any favours, but it did not really hurt us either.

Bottom line, whether RSL won, drew, or lost last night maters not. TFC must win out. And if RSL bats Cruz Azul at home then we are through. If Cruz Azul wins we are through as well. All we do not want to happen is for them to draw.

TFC_PB
09-23-2010, 01:39 PM
I want Cronin back. He gave 100% out there, left everything on the field. He did whatever the coach told him to do, play RM, play RB, play CM, play CDM. I still don't think we used him to the best of his ability.

I want Cronin back in red, too!