PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Whitecaps Targeting Owen Hargreaves As Their DP

Redcoe15
09-22-2010, 12:17 PM
The Vancouver Whitecaps have appearantly offered ManU player and Canadian turncoat - uh, midfielder - Owen Hargreaves a spot on their team next year, as a designated player.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3353/mls/2010/09/22/2131065/vancouver-whitecaps-prepared-to-lure-manchester-united

It would be interesting, to say the least, what kind of reception he'd get in Canada if he did come home to play.

billyfly
09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Midfielders as DP's in MLS don't work, do they? lol...

Chevy
09-22-2010, 12:20 PM
What, tendonitis is banned in BC?

Yeoman
09-22-2010, 12:23 PM
haha i'd throw real dog shit at him

Oldtimer
09-22-2010, 12:34 PM
The Voyageurs will show up and burn down the stadium. j/k

If true, it will make a lot of people angry.

menefreghista
09-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Wow. Vancouver would immediately have a player I hate.

Shway
09-22-2010, 12:58 PM
oohhhh Owen Hargreaves
you disowned your birth
oohhhh Owen Hargreaves
you are the scum of thee earth
oohh Owen hargreaves................

Fort York Redcoat
09-22-2010, 12:58 PM
The Voyageurs will show up and burn down the stadium. j/k

If true, it will make a lot of people angry.

You are GD right I will be.

Instant fucking rivalry-

Here comes the traitor...

Release the Gargan!!!

Shway
09-22-2010, 01:01 PM
i have a millioin hate chants for him already!!!

Chevy
09-22-2010, 01:06 PM
If this happens, I say we sign Kevin Harmse to a one-game contract:

85th - Harmse in for Attakora
87th - Red Card to Harmse for violent conduct
90th - Harmse on Wall of Honour

JonO
09-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Aren't they going to be playing on artificial turf?

Yeoman
09-22-2010, 01:26 PM

lolz love it

Blizzard
09-22-2010, 01:26 PM
People will freak. You would hear boos at BMO the like that have never been heard before. I can see stuff being thrown at him, signs, hanging of effigies, chants of "Traitor, Traitor, Traitor" etc.

It would be anarchy!

nfitz
09-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Hargreaves ... didn't he used to play for Manchester or something a few years ago? Name vaguely rings a bell.

Will he be using a wheelchair?

__wowza
09-22-2010, 01:44 PM

http://www.movieactors.com/freezeframes-77/BreakfastClub27.jpeg
you remember that part in the breakfast club, where ally sheedy's character is just sitting around and everyone else is talking about their problems, and then all of a sudden she just goes "HA!" and startles everyone.

well that just happened at my desk, i was ally sheedy.
and everyone else just so happened to be my coworkers.

nice job.

J .
09-22-2010, 02:00 PM
wow. I hate this guy.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Vancouver should sign Begovic to complete the riot-in-the-making.;)

werewolf
09-22-2010, 03:34 PM
I would sympathize with Whitecap fans, much like any Irish pink cow supporters.

TFCRegina
09-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Good, fuck em. If they want to get Whoregraves, let them. Just one more reason to boo.

Brooker
09-22-2010, 04:55 PM

A lot of Stoke fans already think he's a cunt.

TFCRegina
09-22-2010, 05:41 PM
The cunt doesn't deserve to wear the Maple Leaf on an armsleeve, but if they sign him, it's all gloves off for Shitecaps.

If you love traitors and you know it,
Buy a Whore!
Buy a Whore!
And you really wanna show it,
Buy a Whore!

:D

KezmanCCCC
09-22-2010, 09:35 PM
He said: "We'd love to entertain the idea.

"Given his background, if he was thinking of coming back or moving on, we'd certainly love to chat with him."

just looks like goal.com is speculating some BS right now...

ag futbol
09-22-2010, 09:37 PM
As if i needed more motivation to hate this team.

I propose we extend Martin Saric... he should be able to "mark" him out of the game, maybe even the season, ahah!

KezmanCCCC
09-22-2010, 09:39 PM

Yes but Begovic wasnt born in canada and dosnt need to hold any loyalty to this country (besides the fact that he played under-20), as where Hargreaves was born here and should have played for canada, same goes for De Guzman, Daniel Fernandes etc....

ag futbol
09-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Yes but Begovic wasnt born in canada and dosnt need to hold any loyalty to this country (besides the fact that he played under-20), as where Hargreaves was born here and should have played for canada, same goes for De Guzman, Daniel Fernandes etc....
I have a bit of a problem with using Canada's resources to further your own career then fucking off to do your own thing rather than repaying the favor.

I wouldn't have blamed him if he went straight to the Bosnian program in the first place.

Juanito
09-22-2010, 10:18 PM
If he can stay healthy, I'd suspect he will do better then our Canadian DP. Just saying ...

Flipityflu
09-22-2010, 11:02 PM
deals off. he tore his MCL while yawning.

twistedchinaman
09-23-2010, 01:18 AM
Wow...first DeMerit and now Hargreaves?

Colour me unimpressed.

Plus Owen Hargreaves has no place here in my Calgary.

Chevy
09-23-2010, 08:22 AM
^^ I think what this boils down to is people from Calgary are bad. Period.

:)

brad
09-23-2010, 08:25 AM
If he can stay healthy, I'd suspect he will do better then our Canadian DP. Just saying ...

Yup. He's quite good going forward.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-23-2010, 11:34 AM
I have a bit of a problem with using Canada's resources to further your own career then fucking off to do your own thing rather than repaying the favor.

I wouldn't have blamed him if he went straight to the Bosnian program in the first place.

Very true. My beef with Begovic lies with how he changed national teams. Had Begovic been honest in interviews, I would have a lot more respect for him. Instead, Begovic lied directly to our faces. Similarly, Hargreaves lied to us when he stated in an interview that he intended to play for Canada. If you don't have the balls to tell the truth, a simple "no comment" would suffice.

TorCanSoc
09-23-2010, 11:50 AM
How many posts about loyalty and an incompetant Soccer Association. He's made his voice heard, I still like him. We immigrant thousands (of which I'm one) we take the best of other nations. We're up in arms when we export one footballer. :hide: :)

Alixir
09-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Midfielders as DP's in MLS don't work, do they? lol...Just the Defensive Midfielders don't work.

H Bomb
09-23-2010, 12:06 PM
you guys really hate hargreaves eh? Apathy of the masses i guess. :D

menefreghista
09-23-2010, 12:12 PM
How many posts about loyalty and an incompetant Soccer Association. He's made his voice heard, I still like him. We immigrant thousands (of which I'm one) we take the best of other nations. We're up in arms when we export one footballer. :hide: :)

How can you like a guy with no class or integrity?

ManUtd4ever
09-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Whether you like him or not, he's a solid midfielder by EPL standards and exceptional by MLS standards. I seriously doubt he would play for Vancouver on artificial turf at this stage of his career...

menefreghista
09-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Whether you like him or not, he's a solid midfielder by EPL standards and exceptional by MLS standards. I seriously doubt he would play for Vancouver on artificial turf at this stage of his career...

When's the last time this douchebag played?

brad
09-23-2010, 01:24 PM
When's the last time this douchebag played?

Just passed the two year mark.

menefreghista
09-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Just passed the two year mark.
And people in BC want to make him a DP? LOL.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-23-2010, 01:46 PM

This has NOTHING to do with how I feel about Hargreaves or Begovic. My anger toward each player has to do with the lack of honesty or integrity that each one displays. Just ask Stoke fans how they feel about Begovic. A player can be a douche regardless of where he's from or which team he plays for.

Nomad
09-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Owen Hargreaves, i salute you! :cheers::drunk:

Gazza
09-23-2010, 03:18 PM
oohhhh Owen Hargreaves
you disowned your birth
oohhhh Owen Hargreaves
you are the scum of thee earth
oohh Owen hargreaves................

i'm a big Owen Hargreaves' fan, but i hope he comes for that song alone! lol...love it!

"...fuck your curly hair toooooo!"

maninb
09-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Aren't they going to be playing on artificial turf?

Exactly!!! Hargreaves WILL NEVER go to a club playing on Astroturf....his body wouldn't last a week...case closed....

maninb
09-24-2010, 07:37 AM
I don't blame Hargreaves for leaving...I know his Dad fairly well, we played together for years in Calgary, and considering the way the CSA treated Owen, he was right to go to Europe...

menefreghista
09-24-2010, 07:47 AM
I don't blame Hargreaves for leaving...I know his Dad fairly well, we played together for years in Calgary, and considering the way the CSA treated Owen, he was right to go to Europe...

Going to Europe and playing professionally is one thing.

But turning your back on your country and being a douchebag about it is another.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Going to Europe and playing professionally is one thing.

But turning your back on your country and being a douchebag about it is another.

My sentiments exactly. Did the CSA treat Hargreaves poorly? Sure. Did Hargreaves have the right to play for England? You bet. However, Hargreaves should have been more honest regarding his national team plans. If a player doesn't plan to play for Canada, he shouldn't say in an interview that he plans to play for Canada!

werewolf
09-24-2010, 09:35 AM
My sentiments exactly. Did the CSA treat Hargreaves poorly? Sure. Did Hargreaves have the right to play for England? You bet. However, Hargreaves should have been more honest regarding his national team plans. If a player doesn't plan to play for Canada, he shouldn't say in an interview that he plans to play for Canada!

Don't forget how he gave Wales the shaft as well...leaving the national team camp days before a game LOL Another mark in his classless career.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Don't forget how he gave Wales the shaft as well...leaving the national team camp days before a game LOL Another mark in his classless career.

I had forgotten about that one lol!

habstfc
09-24-2010, 08:12 PM
He hasn't played in 2 years! I'm guessing his football playing days are over. Having a knee problem is one thing, but having 2 is devastating, not only to a pro athlete, but anyone.

nfitz
09-24-2010, 11:45 PM
I'd think so ... though he did come on for about 3 minutes only 4 months ago.

TFCRegina
09-25-2010, 09:17 AM

He was cut from one fucking camp. Not multiple camps...one.

The CSA didn't treat Owen poorly, Owen didn't want to play for Canada and this bullshit of blaming the CSA for cutting him from ONE camp needs to stop.

SilverSamurai
09-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Has more to do that he used the system to further his agenda, but more than anything that he said he was going to play for Canada and then doesn't at the last minute.
JDG2 never committed always left it as "I'm not sure" (not saying it's totally right), but whoregreaves is right up there with begobitch in terms of being douches.
The V's will burn down the stadium if this happens. :flare:You wanted flares you got them!

John Stamos
07-15-2011, 09:00 AM
I think everyone keeps forgetting the fact that Canada's national team is shit, so why would he want to play for Canada in his prime, when he could play for England.
PLUS he was living in Europe, for a big team, it would been retarded for him to take a 7 hour plane ride back to Canada to get shit kicked by any Country that has heard of the sport.

Haters Gonna Hate, Owen Hargreaves Is My Boy, and I Would Love To See Him Play For Vancouver For Two Reasons.

1) Vancouver will need to bring in a top medical staff as well to add to the expenses.
2) I want an autograph.

KGH
07-15-2011, 09:06 AM
I think everyone keeps forgetting the fact that Canada's national team is shit, so why would he want to play for Canada in his prime, when he could play for England.
PLUS he was living in Europe, for a big team, it would been retarded for him to take a 7 hour plane ride back to Canada to get shit kicked by any Country that has heard of the sport.

Haters Gonna Hate, Owen Hargreaves Is My Boy, and I Would Love To See Him Play For Vancouver For Two Reasons.

1) Vancouver will need to bring in a top medical staff as well to add to the expenses.
2) I want an autograph.

Ummmm...I'll take Late to the Party for $200 Alex.

menefreghista
07-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Ummmm...I'll take Late to the Party for $200 Alex.

I think this douchebag sporadically appears to defend his lover boy whore from Calgary.

Carts
07-15-2011, 09:09 AM

2) I want an autograph.

The only thing "prime" about Owen Hargreaves is his medical insurance policy in England...

I'd bet $100,000 on someone surviving an execution gunshot to the head over him lasting long enough in a season to be an impact...

Azerban
07-15-2011, 09:11 AM
fucking forums necromancy

Shakes McQueen
07-15-2011, 09:26 AM

Gee, I never thought of it that way!

National teams aren't supposed to be about silly things like national pride and wearing your country's colours - it's about making sure you're on the best team!

- Scott

John Stamos
07-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Gee, I never thought of it that way!

National teams aren't supposed to be about silly things like national pride and wearing your country's colours - it's about making sure you're on the best team!

- Scott
Yeah, I would be bleeding with national pride growing up in a pro-British household where none of my family members were even Canadian.

jloome
07-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I would be bleeding with national pride growing up in a pro-British household where none of my family members were even Canadian.

He grew up in Calgary. Don't be a knob. If you don't have a cogent argument just concede the point; it's a sign of both emotional and intellectual maturity.

Jenkins12
07-15-2011, 08:06 PM
He grew up in Calgary. Don't be a knob. If you don't have a cogent argument just concede the point; it's a sign of both emotional and intellectual maturity.

I dont understand the hate for Hargreaves either, the guy grew up in a household where the majority of his family were English, where the sport is actually number 1, it was a fair choice between Canada and England, you should be mature enough to understand that.

TFCin110
07-15-2011, 08:12 PM

2) I want an autograph.

LOL....post of the year. I am Canadian and support Canada but yes they are shit. I wish Hargreaves would have played for Canada but it would have been like Wayne Rooney playing with a bunch of 12 year olds to be fair.

ExiledRed
07-15-2011, 08:20 PM
The cunt doesn't deserve to wear the Maple Leaf on an armsleeve, but if they sign him, it's all gloves off for Shitecaps.

Buy a Whore!
Buy a Whore!
And you really wanna show it,
Buy a Whore!

:D

I dont actually agree with all the anti-hargreaves sentiment.....

But I'd sing this fucking loudly.

brad
07-15-2011, 08:26 PM

2) I want an autograph.

3) I want to see you sing Kokomo with the Beach Boys.

TFC07
07-15-2011, 08:29 PM
I dont understand the hate for Hargreaves either, the guy grew up in a household where the majority of his family were English, where the sport is actually number 1, it was a fair choice between Canada and England, you should be mature enough to understand that.

That's like saying a South Asian should play for his parents' country in cricket instead of England where he was born because his parents come from a country where cricket is number 1 sport.

Jenkins12
07-15-2011, 08:37 PM
That's like saying a South Asian should play for his parents' country in cricket instead of England where he was born because his parents come from a country where cricket is number 1 sport.

Cricket in south asia is a big sport, compared to 'soccer' in canada.

What soccer prospects were there in Calgary or Canada when he was young?

Where would he be soccer wise if he stayed in Canada?

It's a fair decision he made

brad
07-15-2011, 08:43 PM
^^Pursuing a career in Europe an playing for Canada was an option.

ag futbol
07-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Not only that, but Thomas Niendorf (in Calgary) pretty much kick started his connection to BM.

Anyway, I just think regardless of any excuse he gives he was always all-in for England if they ever called. Not a fan of national team shopping, but you have to admit it happens these days.

brad
07-15-2011, 08:54 PM
FIFA even endorses the national team shopping. They changed the rules a few years ago to make it possible for players to swap countries if they were capped at the U21 level but haven't appeared for the full national team.

Jenkins12
07-15-2011, 08:59 PM
^^Pursuing a career in Europe an playing for Canada was an option.

Ofcourse it was, but he was English by blood, and I bet when he grew up he watched a lot of English football and his father and brothers would of had great influence on him.

His mother was Welsh, so I could be pissed.

Now Wales vs Canada would be a poor game to watch

TFCRegina
07-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Cricket in south asia is a big sport, compared to 'soccer' in canada.

What soccer prospects were there in Calgary or Canada when he was young?

Where would he be soccer wise if he stayed in Canada?

It's a fair decision he made

Non-starter of an argument. Nothing would have required him to stay in Canada to play for Canada.

This is a classic Hargreaves defense. "Where would he be if he stayed here?"

Another argument you can try is that the CSA were stupid and shouldn't have cut him once from any programs and therefore if he was involved with our youth program he would have played for Canada over England (because that worked for Wales fantastically).

TFCRegina
07-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Ofcourse it was, but he was English by blood, and I bet when he grew up he watched a lot of English football and his father and brothers would of had great influence on him.

You should be pissed because he committed to playing for Wales and then switched suddenly to England.

Jenkins12
07-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Non-starter of an argument. Nothing would have required him to stay in Canada to play for Canada.

This is a classic Hargreaves defense. "Where would he be if he stayed here?"

Another argument you can try is that the CSA were stupid and shouldn't have cut him once from any programs and therefore if he was involved with our youth program he would have played for Canada over England (because that worked for Wales fantastically).

Or you could just say every single member of his family were British and thats what he considered himself.

He spent 16 years of his life in Canada, great..The Sport is 4th or 5th in the country, he grew up admiring the English game, and his family would of been a huge influence. It's sad people actually hold it against him

Jenkins12
07-15-2011, 09:07 PM
You should be pissed because he committed to playing for Wales and then switched suddenly to England.

I couldn't careless, he wanted to play football in Britain, if he couldn't play for England then he would play for Wales, we all know if your 50% Welsh 50% English and you have a chance to play in a World Cup you choose England.

Wales are a sack of shit btw, and i'll support them till the death but I dont begrudge anyone who chose elsewhere

brad
07-15-2011, 09:15 PM

He wouldn't have watched much English football growing up because there wasn't much on TV in Canada at the time.

He made the choice because he thought it would benefit his career. No more and no less. And it most likely did.

John Stamos
07-16-2011, 08:06 AM
For someone who has yet to make his own cognent argument (or any argument for that matter) and straight away call me a knob shows great emotional and intellectual maturity on your part. You wouldn't say that to a stranger face to face.

There's of course the sympathizers and the haters when it comes to Owen. And I can present a valid argument either way, however, I recognize Owen Hargreaves is an individual (and prepare yourself for this!), but he made his own choice.

Personally, I think of Canada as the biological parent of Owen who gave him up for adoption, and once was adopted and came good, the biological parent come back in for him years later to pressure him into playing.

At nineteen years of age, I would chosen England over Canada as well.

Blixa
07-16-2011, 08:20 AM
You'd have to be insane not to pick England over Canada. Reverse the situation for a moment... Imagine your parents are Canadian, you live in England but just got traded to an NHL team, and Canada wants you to play for its national hockey team in the Olympics. Would you rather join the English hockey team? Hell no. Hargreaves made the right call.

Blowing Bubbles
07-16-2011, 11:46 AM
so is he going to VWFC or not? all i see is an endless circle jerk over arguments we've had 1000x before

TFC07
07-16-2011, 12:28 PM
so is he going to VWFC or not? all i see is an endless circle jerk over arguments we've had 1000x before

No!!

Azerban
07-16-2011, 12:36 PM

hi guys i'm forums member john stamos hey look it's a 9 month old thread let me add my contribution immediately! *farts* a good well done, later

prizby
07-16-2011, 12:50 PM
quit defending hargreaves...he took a piss on a canada and now its over; he wants to come back so he can play...fine, but don't expect us to welcome you back with open arms...your an unwanted cunt

nuff said

DichioTFC
07-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Also dont agree with anti-Canadian sentiment regarding OH. I don't like the guy, but I have to give him credit, he's the only Canadian to reach the pinnacle of the sport - league titles in Bundesliga and EPL, playing in the World Cup and also winning the UEFA Champions League.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is he not the nation's most successful footballer?

Yeoman
07-16-2011, 03:52 PM
he'll still tear this league apart

justin
07-16-2011, 04:00 PM
he'll still tear this league apart

is league a medical term for knee?

Azerban
07-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Also dont agree with anti-Canadian sentiment regarding OH. I don't like the guy, but I have to give him credit, he's the only Canadian to reach the pinnacle of the sport - league titles in Bundesliga and EPL, playing in the World Cup and also winning the UEFA Champions League.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is he not the nation's most successful footballer?

he's not canadian

TFCRegina
07-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Number of international trophies won by Craig Forrest: 1
Number of international trophies won by Owen Hargreaves: 0

Davenport
07-16-2011, 04:07 PM
LOL....post of the year. I am Canadian and support Canada but yes they are shit. I wish Hargreaves would have played for Canada but it would have been like Wayne Rooney playing with a bunch of 12 year olds to be fair.
Rooney would have been arrested for that.

mclaren
07-16-2011, 05:43 PM
I don't get this visceral hatred toward Hargreaves. Why more hate against him than other players that went off to play for other countries? Bear in mind I'm English and been here for around 5 years. What did I miss?

Yeoman
07-16-2011, 08:47 PM
i have a hatred towards stamos
really? really john stamos?
you're going to date rene zellwigger? ugh

cmonyoureds
07-16-2011, 10:33 PM
he's not canadian

this is fantastic new!!!!!. it means most of the anti hargreaves comments in this and a million other threads are based on nothing, completely ridiculous, and all the self important know alls, experts, high and mighty stone throwers and spokespeople for the canadain nation can stop typing. what a relief.

think i'll head back to that best beer thread for a beverage...........

Shakes McQueen
07-17-2011, 01:50 AM
this is fantastic new!!!!!. it means most of the anti hargreaves comments in this and a million other threads are based on nothing, completely ridiculous, and all the self important know alls, experts, high and mighty stone throwers and spokespeople for the canadain nation can stop typing. what a relief.

think i'll head back to that best beer thread for a beverage...........

Right over your head.

- Scott

cmonyoureds
07-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Right over your head.

- Scott

HHAHAHAAHA, yup, yup it was. Of course it was. Truer words have never been spoken. Your perceptive powers amaze.

Yeoman
07-17-2011, 09:21 AM
wait there's a beer thread?

ag futbol
07-19-2011, 11:04 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/whitecaps-in-pursuit-of-owen-hargreaves/article2101711/

Ironic that this actually turned out to be true. I actually hope this gets done and he flops.

Question is: do we sign Martin Saric or Kevin Harmse for the occasion?

drewski
07-19-2011, 11:36 AM
the fieldturf he'll be playing on will take him out long before we play them again.

Gazza
07-19-2011, 11:42 AM
I hope his injury troubles aren't behind him, because if he is indeed healthy, he instantly becomes the best midfielder in the MLS.

Stryker
07-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Several days ago, on West Brom’s website, team sporting and technical director Dan Ashworth said their position in the Premiership is “attractive in itself” and noted the club has a “fantastic medical team.”

Bwhahahaha

kodiakTFC
07-19-2011, 11:48 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/whitecaps-in-pursuit-of-owen-hargreaves/article2101711/

Ironic that this actually turned out to be true. I actually hope this gets done and he flops.

Adam Braz!

TFCRegina
07-19-2011, 11:50 AM

Bring Adrian Serioux out of retirement.

Stryker
07-19-2011, 11:58 AM
I have a suspicion that Mallett is doing this just to get Vancouver more publicity. Id be surprised if they'd actually sign him at the end of the day.

Shakes McQueen
07-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Bwhahahaha

That's the funniest unintentional funny line I've read in a news article in a while, hahahahahaha!!!!!

- Scott