PDA

View Full Version : Chad Barrett MVP. seriously

Darlofletch
09-20-2010, 02:56 PM
So, I've felt for a while that we were doing ok under preki until barrett got injured. After seeing us win in his first game starting since he got injured, my curiosity was further piqued, so I decided to check out the stats for this season.

Here's TFC's record in games which Barrett started, in all competitions, excluding the useless Bolton friendly. Won 9, Lost 4, Tied 5. In games he didn't start? 3-8-5.

Add in his substitute appearances and the trend is even more pronounced, 11-6-7 when he plays at least part of the game, and 1-6-3 when he doesn't.

So translate that into 3 points for a win, and TFC with Barrett has 40 points in 24 games, which would be a 50 point season, which even the most ardent Preki-hater would have to accept as a bloody good one.

Without Barrett, 6 points in 10 games, or 18 points over 30 games.

Now I'm not about to suggest Barrett is as talented a player as De Ro, or that this sort of results would translate to another side, or a new style of play under Dasovic, but it seems pretty clear that he was the crucial part of the team that made TFC under Preki work. As well as his vastly improved goal scoring record, his impact is a very important indirect one, causing problems for the defence that allows others like De Ro more room to do their own thing. It's no co-incidence that the goals also dried up for De Ro, and everyone else, when White was the main striker for the defence to contend with.

Best player? No. Most valuable? Absolutely.

Roogsy
09-20-2010, 02:59 PM
My vote will be going to Frei this year.

If there was a "most improved" category, I'd give it to Barrett.

BeerBaron95
09-20-2010, 03:00 PM

beat me to it.. my sentiments exactly

ManUtd4ever
09-20-2010, 03:02 PM
So, I've felt for a while that we were doing ok under preki until barrett got injured. After seeing us win in his first game starting since he got injured, my curiosity was further piqued, so I decided to check out the stats for this season.

Here's TFC's record in games which Barrett started, in all competitions, excluding the useless Bolton friendly. Won 9, Lost 4, Tied 5. In games he didn't start? 3-8-5.

Add in his substitute appearances and the trend is even more pronounced, 11-6-7 when he plays at least part of the game, and 1-6-3 when he doesn't.

So translate that into 3 points for a win, and TFC with Barrett has 40 points in 24 games, which would be a 50 point season, which even the most ardent Preki-hater would have to accept as a bloody good one.

Now I'm not about to suggest Barrett is as talented a player as De Ro, or that this sort of results would translate to another side, or a new style of play under Dasovic, but it seems pretty clear that he was the crucial part of the team that made TFC under Preki work. As well as his vastly improved goal scoring record, his impact is a very important indirect one, causing problems for the defence that allows others like De Ro more room to do their own thing. It's no co-incidence that the goals also dried up for De Ro, and everyone else, when White was the main striker for the defence to contend with.

You said it right there. Barrett is a crucial part of this year's offense but MVP? No. Hypothetically speaking, imagine TFC's record with a healthy Barrett and DeRo or Frei out of the lineup for an extended period of time...

v00d00daddy
09-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Barrett's been better this year but my vote for MVP would fall to Frei or Cann.

A total toss up.

jloome
09-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Frei. I think we'd have the league's worst record without him. And I think he's going to Europe next year.

ArmenJBX
09-20-2010, 03:13 PM
It's a toss up between Frei and Barrett for me. I'd give it to Frei because he's always there but Barrett has improved tremendously.

Parkdale
09-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Barrett's been better this year but my vote for MVP would fall to Frei or Cann.

Cann?

has our defense been so bad lately that it makes an above average (but not great) defender like Cann look like MVP material? Answer: Yes.

Nothing against the guy, and I'm happy he's making an impact on the team, but the league is full of guys comparable to Cann. There are not many people comparable to Frei. We'd have a MUCH harder time replacing Frei. Also, Frei is the best keeper our team has ever had (I like Sutton and Monsalve and Edwards, but Frei is the best we've had). Cann isn't the best defender we've had, so let's not confuse 'Mr. Right' with 'Mr. Right-for-now'.

ArmenJBX
09-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah, we need more Canns and Gargans all around the board. They're not MVP quality, they're the kinds of players we should have had all along!

lips
09-20-2010, 03:16 PM

If there was a "most improved" category, I'd give it to Barrett.+1 Frei is the man

TFC07
09-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Frei is TFC's MVP this season. DeRo being honourable mention.

Barrett is making a great impact on this team this season, but Frei is making more positive impact than Barrett.

dupont
09-20-2010, 03:29 PM
FREI has my vote too.

Barrett did awesome this year though. I just wish he was able to stay healthy!

Jack
09-20-2010, 03:29 PM
It's a sad day for TFC when this is the MVP discussion :(

Suds
09-20-2010, 03:30 PM

You make a good case. No doubt Barrett's impact has been much improved this year. This has been one of the nice surprises this season. His work-rate was never in question. But now he's been able to translate that into results.

With all that said, I think I would vote Frei as MVP this year. I'll add that I hope we will be having this same debate as Barrett for MVP next year. :)

Carts
09-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Barrett is not the teams MVP - but that doesn't mean I don't aknowledge and appreciate his impact...

Hard work will always help a club, and Chad has a great work ethic and hustle every single time he is on the pitch...

It'll be tough for anyone to steal the award away from Frei and/or Dero this season in the remaining few games...

Frei will be considered for the Keeper of the Year award - as he has the league's highest save percentage while facing the most shots. So basically he's peppered night in and night out and makes a ton of stops... We're 13th in the league in goals against, a "stats only voter" might hold that against Frei (unfortunately some vote that way)

Dero's "stats" case goes to offence. The man alone has scored 1-less than half of all of our goals. Make no mistake, that's UNBELEIVABLE for a non-striker. But, we're around 12th-13th in the league in goals for - so that kills the argument against Frei in the paragraph above...

Its truly a 2-person race for our MVP - with Frei the apparent front-runner...

But, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate Barrett's work or impact...

Barrett should view the stats posted in the OP as motivation for next season. If he can find more of a scoring touch - he'll become a very big impact player in the league...

Carts...

swan
09-20-2010, 03:31 PM

yuppers

Darlofletch
09-20-2010, 03:34 PM
You said it right there. Barrett is a crucial part of this year's offense but MVP? No. Hypothetically speaking, imagine TFC's record with a healthy Barrett and DeRo or Frei out of the lineup for an extended period of time...

Frei, I think we'd be ok, he's clearly a very good goalie, but conway and kocic have looked alright when they've had their chance, i don't think there'd be as big a drop as between 50 and 18 points.

who knows what the hypothetical numbers would be with barrett in and de ro out, but we do actually have the numbers for barrett.

"best" and "most valuable" aren't synonyms, and I'm not trying to take a shot at de ro here, but when barrett was out for a few games recently, de ro was very quiet. probably due to having no-one to work with, and a lot of extra defence attention on him.

v00d00daddy
09-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Cann?

has our defense been so bad lately that it makes an above average (but not great) defender like Cann look like MVP material? Answer: Yes.

Nothing against the guy, and I'm happy he's making an impact on the team, but the league is full of guys comparable to Cann. There are not many people comparable to Frei. We'd have a MUCH harder time replacing Frei. Also, Frei is the best keeper our team has ever had (I like Sutton and Monsalve and Edwards, but Frei is the best we've had). Cann isn't the best defender we've had, so let's not confuse 'Mr. Right' with 'Mr. Right-for-now'.

I like Cann because he's consistent. He probably makes the fewest mistakes of any player with TFC. He also filled a huge hole for us this year.

Frei has been great too.

ManUtd4ever
09-20-2010, 03:36 PM

No doubt the congested schedule and the additional injury to Santos played a part as well but nonetheless, those numbers are staggering...

__wowza
09-20-2010, 03:38 PM
when's the vote / how does the voting working?

Belfast_Boy
09-20-2010, 03:57 PM
I really like Barrett and his work ethic. but my vote for MVP is between two guys. one scores all our goals and the other stops the opponents from getting goals.

DreFuss
09-20-2010, 04:08 PM
DeRo

sampace
09-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Barrett all the way...

Cashcleaner
09-20-2010, 04:56 PM

Sounds good to me! Actually, now that we're on the subject, are we going to be polling soon for Player of the Year?

CoachGT
09-20-2010, 07:16 PM
when's the vote / how does the voting working?

Vote will be as the season gets a little closer to the end. Voting to RPB members only. Keep an eye out for the thread when it appears.

Probably in Early October.

Shakes McQueen
09-20-2010, 07:51 PM
I think Roogsy hit it on the head for me, though I see the point you are making about "valuable" vs. "best", Darlofletch.

While I think Barrett has become crucial to our lineup over this season, I just can't give a plaudit like MVP to a player who missed a huge chunk of the season. I think he became crucial to the lineup, as a consequence of the fact that we have no other half-decent pure strikers. He became crucial, because without him, we are left to start guys like Ibrahim and O'Brien White.

As such, I'm with Roogsy on this one. I'd give Barrett an award for "Most Improved" on this team in a heartbeat, but not MVP.

My nominations would go to DeRo, Frei, Attakora, and maybe even Cann.

- Scott

Pachuco
09-20-2010, 07:53 PM
I too am with Roogsy on this one. Frei for prez. Barrett for most improved.

Oh, and I'll give Cann the best new arrival of the year.

Gargan gets most versatile player.

TOBOR !
09-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Most of the reaon why Barrett looks so much better this year is O'Brian White.

Shakes McQueen
09-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Most of the reaon why Barrett looks so much better this year is O'Brian White.

I don't think Barrett simply "looks" better - I think Barrett has played extremely well this season.

The only times our offense has truly clicked this season, Barrett had a huge part in it. The rest of the time, it has been dismal.

- Scott

TOBOR !
09-20-2010, 08:10 PM
His work rate is second to none on the team, that is for sure. And he was on Fire against Chicago back in May (see what I did there ?).

However, he's not that far removed from being the guy who couldn't hit the net if his life depended on it... you know... just like OBW this year.

CoachGT
09-20-2010, 08:14 PM
My nominations would go to DeRo, Frei, Attakora, and maybe even Cann.

We are in complete agreement here - without DeRo and Frei, I shudder to think about where this team would be right now!

Cashcleaner
09-20-2010, 08:23 PM
We are in complete agreement here - without DeRo and Frei, I shudder to think about where this team would be right now!

Fully agreed. It's hard to deny the stats, and DeRo is leading in goals by a very wide margin. As for Frei, well, I think we all know what sorta place on the table we'd be without him.

http://www.torontofc.ca/stats

Inklink
09-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Frei. He's made so many huge saves, I've lost count. Definite choice in my mind. DeRo is 2nd. Respect to Chad though.

rocker
09-20-2010, 09:30 PM
I can't give MVP to a player because he didn't play and the team played worse in that time (correlation doesn't mean causation). You gotta play regularly and perform well to get an MVP award.

Darlofletch
09-21-2010, 08:18 AM
fair enough, but a lot of people are saying where would we be without de ro or frei or whoever, and we don't know, cos they've been there all along, even through the rough spells. fun thing is we've got a fairly big amount of games with and without chad, at various different times of the season, so that we can actuallly see where we would be without chad, and it's not pretty.

Now I think the main reason is that there's no good backup, if we had a decent striker to fill in for him, it wouldn't be as pronounced a difference.

Chevy
09-21-2010, 08:26 AM
I can't give MVP to a player because he didn't play and the team played worse in that time (correlation doesn't mean causation). You gotta play regularly and perform well to get an MVP award.

That would be icing on this s**tcake of a season - giving hte MVP to a hurt player.

That said, it's pretty evident that with Chad on the field we are a much better team.

MKR
09-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I like chad a lot. I don't think he's been the best player this year. I suppose it really has to be Frei, but Chad has to be in this sort of discussion however you slice it. Sure Dero is the captain and the leader of this team, but as this year has gone on i've started to look at Barrett as a sort of assistant captain if you will.

Hitcho
09-21-2010, 04:50 PM
fair enough, but a lot of people are saying where would we be without de ro or frei or whoever, and we don't know, cos they've been there all along, even through the rough spells. fun thing is we've got a fairly big amount of games with and without chad, at various different times of the season, so that we can actuallly see where we would be without chad, and it's not pretty.

Now I think the main reason is that there's no good backup, if we had a decent striker to fill in for him, it wouldn't be as pronounced a difference.

I think you've solved your own conundrum there Dunc. If OBW was able to fill in for Chad while he was injured, then Chad's numbers wouldn't be anywhere near as pronounced.

Plus as someone said, it's hard to think of someone who missed so much of the season as the team's MVP.

I think I'd go for Frei too.

Funny how no-one has mentioned JDG, even in passing. He's our DP and based on salary should be head and shoulders above everyone else in the side, but no-one is even recognising him for doing a good job in his DCM role...

habstfc
09-21-2010, 05:22 PM
I like barrett alot more than last year but there are only 2 choices in my opinion, dero and frei. Barrett's missed quite a bit of the season.