"to infinity and beyond"
- Buzz Lightyear

What a final shot.

ArmenJBX
09-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Finally, a last minute win, and away from home to boot! :D

James17930
09-18-2010, 09:33 PM
So will we start seeing the De Ro of old (as in, May) more consistently now that Preki is gone.

Here's fucking hoping so.

dclaro
09-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Dero shows he's still clutch

ArmenJBX
09-18-2010, 09:34 PM
And both goals were almost exactly the same too :D

Oldtimer
Creativity is back, with Preki gone.

Poor defending is also back.

TFC Cityboy
man of the match Chad Barrett for what he said at HT
:)

pawlukj
they won on purpose in that fashion to keep us going only to dissappoint us in the long run and still fall short on the playoffs,

but on a serious note, yeah the win is great and all, but their performance was a catastrophe, they are not in a playoff team form, but at least this give sthem something to build on

Juanito
Wow. Just wow. All I can ask from them is to fight on ....

Kevvv
Agree - that looked like the DeRo of old, here's hoping he can continue and the drag the rest of the team up with him.

ArmenJBX
No post game highlights?

Nuvinho
TFC are so bad.........nevermind!

TFC Cityboy
09-18-2010, 09:35 PM
how the fuck did we win that?

twistedchinaman
It was a desperate struggle which we won on a last minute shot...one moment of brilliance covering up 90 minutes of oy-gevalt-badness.

yanggoh
Insane day of football. First Spurs' 3-1 comeback victory, then TFC pulls the same thing. My heart feels like it's going to burst out of my chest, and for once it's not from disappointment.

James17930
Seattle's out of reach now -- Colorado's the only team we can hope to catch -- and they're up 2 - 0 on NE now.

James17930
09-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Insane day of football. First Spurs' 3-1 comeback victory, then TFC pulls the same thing. My heart feels like it's going to burst out of my chest, and for once it's not from disappointment.

I hear ya! :D

kaos197O
+100

But he also played a very good game. Nice to see the boys respond for a change

sully
DeRo is Toronto FC. Maybe they didn't deserve to won, but things tend to balance out over a season. We have hope now.

GingerNinja
Boy or Girl, my first child is being named Dero!!

Peterson pointing out the encroaching player helped out that second goal. Everyone seemed to stop playing and the ref was walking towards the play.
But Dero just fired another rocket!!

ArmenJBX
09-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Boy or Girl, my first child is being named Dero!!

Peterson pointing out the encroaching player helped out that second goal. Everyone seemed to stop playing and the ref was walking towards the play.
But Dero just fired another rocket!!

So some might say that Peterson did score?

Someone find a montreal avatar :D

kaos197O
09-18-2010, 09:38 PM

That's far beyond a stretch.

Kevvv
No post game highlights?

Supposed to be on GolTV, but they never seem to start on time lately.

ArmenJBX
Supposed to be on GolTV, but they never seem to start on time lately.

Thanks Kevvv :D

wzhxvy
09-18-2010, 09:39 PM
We played horribly, especially OBW and JDG today. Good to see Barrett with all that passion and Dero show that he is the best player to wear our jersey. However, so many issues with this team...yikes. We are horrific on the wings, on both sides of the ball and JDG had one of his worst games, he should be ashamed of himself.

Oldtimer
09-18-2010, 09:39 PM
The first goal is up on TFC-TV

GingerNinja
09-18-2010, 09:40 PM

What did he say??

geordie77
so Saturdays game is our Cup Final, bring your passion, your voice & cheer for TFC. all is not lost(at least not yet), lets bring the support & make this our Cup Final. cheers................as good day for me, Newcastle United & TFC won

DangerRed
I really hope we're not counting on 12 to get in, because we won't get them. I hope 9 will suffice.

As for tonight, I think all the criticisms of DeRo still stand.

Also, DeRo is now tied for his 2009 goal tally at 11.

He has 5 games to put one more away and mark an improvement.

Next weekend really will be a playoff game. If we drop home points to SJ, which are a huge contender for that spot, we're toast. And KC and Chicago are nipping at our heels hard. Two to watch.

Number Nine
09-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Whether TFC makes the post-season or not, that's going to go down as the best moment of the MLS season. Well, unless it comes down to an epic showdown against DC United. That was euphoric, captain, hometown kid, 93rd minute winner, it doesn't get better than that. But the performance of the team as a whole leaves much to be desired. Thumbs down for OBW's first touch, and general lack of speed and vision. Thumbs down for JDG, who seemingly consumed too many Baconator's, and all the cholesterol went to his head. And as OldTimer said, poor defending is back. But I'd rather win 3-2 than win 1-0.

ArmenJBX
What did he say??

We weren't good enough and shouldn't be on the field with Houston.

pawlukj
If only we had picked up all those points during the summer when we were tieing basically every team at home under preki

Nuvinho
Daso's first win as coach!

TFC USA
Seattle 4 Crew 0

TFC wins on the road.

That's all that needs to be said.

Brooker

NO!!

ArmenJBX
09-18-2010, 09:42 PM
NO!!

Awww :(

Fine :(

kaos197O
09-18-2010, 09:42 PM
What did he say??
The team didn't come to play.
They were getting slaughtered.

There was more but......it was his tone that really stood out.

Detroit_TFC
09-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Good news: Chad B looked pretty good in first start after long absense. Bad news: Chad B looked better than most of the players out there. IMHO a gold medal to him for speaking the brutal truth in the halftime interview.

Obviously, words were said in the dressing room. The second half showed more intensity. Having said that, we are barely a team out there, the chemistry is awful. Not sure what to do about that, work through it or blow up the team.

For right now, I'm just going to be happy about the win in stoppage. And the ton of fantasy points I got :)

Oldtimer
09-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Both goals now up on TFC-TV

TFC Cityboy
09-18-2010, 09:46 PM
What did he say??
that we were lucky to be 1 down and we'd be slaughtered if we didn't show up to play. Very frank

James17930
09-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Both goals now up on TFC-TV

Must go watch them just to hear the funny way Dobson yells De Ro's name when he gets excited.

De RosarIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Shakes McQueen
09-18-2010, 09:49 PM
I'll enjoy the win for tonight, but still don't realistically think it's going to save the season.

Glad DeRo finally shook off the cobwebs too, and had a barnburner of a performance.

- Scott

Kevvv
09-18-2010, 09:50 PM
What did he say??

"We didn't come to play"

TFC Cityboy
09-18-2010, 09:50 PM
I'll enjoy the win for tonight, but still don't realistically think it's going to save the season.

Glad DeRo finally shook off the cobwebs too, and had a barnburner of a performance.

- Scott
agree. It's the hope that kills you

billyfly
09-18-2010, 09:51 PM
DeRo is DaMan

James17930
09-18-2010, 09:52 PM
And He's Done It Again!!!!!!!

TFC Cityboy
09-18-2010, 09:53 PM
still 5 pts off the last play off place...could be worse,could have been 7-8 and game over 100%

Chevy
09-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Missed most of the game..what did he say?

TFC Cityboy
Missed most of the game..what did he say?
just scroll up the page a few lines

twistedchinaman
Seattle's out of reach now -- Colorado's the only team we can hope to catch -- and they're up 2 - 0 on NE now.

^ I would say the opposite, actually. Colorado has one game in hand (after tonight) , SJ has two. Plus neither have CCL games, while Seattle does. And meanwhile, we've got to watch our backs as well.

Look at the remaining schedules and judge for yourself (this assumes that COL wins their NER match, which they will, oh and games in red are CCL/USOC matches.):

Colorado (37): @RSL, PHU, DCU, @FCD, @LAG, RSL
San Jose (36): @TFC, CHI, @CLB, @DCU, HOU, CHV, @KCW
Seattle (36): @MTR, @CHI, MAR, TFC, CLB, @KCW, CHV, SAP, @HOU
Toronto (31): @CAZ, SJE, RSL @SEA, @CHV, CLB, CAU @DCU
Kansas City (27): HOU, @CHV, FCD, @NYR, SEA, @CHI, @NER, SJE
Chicago (26):SEA, @SJE, @FCD, CLB, KCW, DCU, @CHV

LesH
09-18-2010, 09:57 PM
So we won a fucking game we had no business to win, because 80% of the team played like shit...
Maybe we merited a draw, but just maybe...

But the full 3 points can be thanked to Dero... well maybe 1 point from it to Frei.

Now is a certainty that without Dero TFC would be the dead last team in MLS!!
Even with Super Frei!

TFC Cityboy
09-18-2010, 09:57 PM
<3andi petrillo....well...you would...wouldn't you!

ah!

bgnewf
09-18-2010, 09:59 PM

If we are going to lose I would like to lose playing the way we did in the second half!

Kevvv
09-18-2010, 10:09 PM
<3andi petrillo....well...you would...wouldn't you!

ah!

:hump::hump::hump:

no wait

<3

(romance first, that shit works, right?)

wzhxvy
09-18-2010, 10:09 PM
What creativity are we referring to exactly ? That was a shit show highlighting the passion and heart of two of our players, and then the utter shite that OBW is. Santos had a bad game...Labrocca was no where...JDG was a disaster...Gargan was Cruz' bitch in the first half...Nane was a bull in a china shop and was sweating like a pig within the first 5 minutes...we were lucky not lose this game...a tie would have been flattering.

twistedchinaman
09-18-2010, 10:15 PM
So based on these, here's how I see it (based on results so far)...

Colorado (37): @RSL, PHU, DCU, @FCD, @LAG, RSL
San Jose (36): @TFC, CHI, @CLB, @DCU, HOU, CHV, @KCW
Seattle (36): @MTR, @CHI, MAR, TFC, CLB, @KCW, CHV, SAP, @HOU
Toronto (31): @CAZ, SJE, RSL @SEA, @CHV, CLB, CAU @DCU
Kansas City (27): HOU, @CHV, FCD, @NYR, SEA, @CHI, @NER, SJE
Chicago (26): SEA, @SJE, @FCD, CLB, KCW, DCU, @CHV

COL: LWWDLL = 7 + 37 = 44
SJE: LDLWWDD = 9 + 36 = 45
SEA: -W-L-LWD-D =8 + 36 = 44
TFC: -W-W-DW-W= 13 + 31 = 44
KCW: WDLLWDWD = 12 + 27 = 39
CHI: LWLLDWL = 7 + 26 = 33

So...five league wins buys us SOME hope. Well, I'll ready the snowboards... *sigh*

twistedchinaman
09-18-2010, 10:17 PM
So we won a fucking game we had no business to win, because 80% of the team played like shit...

Pessimism aside, that's what teams are supposed to do. No team is ordained to win if they don't score goals.

Not to defend the play tonight, either. But if Houston had buried their chances, we wouldn't be leaving Texas with 3 points. Or even ONE for that matter. We sucked monkey balls, Houston sucked SUPER monkey balls.

Plain and simple.

ag futbol
09-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Yeah we won on two set plays but other than that it was pretty much the same old stuff. I can see these guys were pretty relieved to get that win though, hopefully they can build on it.

Big lol moment at JDG dummying that pass to nobody. Soccer comedy def jam.

ManUtd4ever
09-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Frei and DeRo stole the victory for TFC tonight, but I'll take it. The playoffs are still a pipe dream but on a positive note, tonight marked the first time all season that TFC was able to overcome a deficit and win a match...

adam1001
09-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Dero 2-1 Houston..... Great result but that was an f*cking pathetic. This team that preki and johnston have "built" is brutal. OBW and Nane wouldnt cut it in houseleague. Keep Dero, Frei, Attakora, Cann, Gargan, Barrett, Santos, Henry, Lyndsay and get everybody else out of here.

Kevvv
09-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Yeah we won on two set plays but other than that it was pretty much the same old stuff. I can see these guys were pretty relieved to get that win though, hopefully they can build on it.

You mean

We won on two set plays!!!!! :drum::drum::scarf::scarf:

which is quite an achievement for our guys

TFCRegina
09-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Ya know...those Canadian guys, they never try hard, they never score any goals...man, Preki was totally right. ;)

Heart of Stone
09-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Dero 2-1 Houston..... Great result but that was an f*cking pathetic. This team that preki and johnston have "built" is brutal. OBW and Nane wouldnt cut it in houseleague. Keep Dero, Frei, Attakora, Cann, Gargan, Barrett, Santos, Henry, Lyndsay and get everybody else out of here.

Santos is terrible...

ag futbol
09-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Santos is ok. He's a servicable substitute striker.

Shakes McQueen
09-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Santos has fancy feet, I have to give him that. Hasn't looked that great since he came back from injury though - might just be a fitness issue, as I thought he looked fantastic for us pre-injury.

Then again, maybe I was just fooled by the fact that the rest of the team sucked balls at that time.

- Scott

kodiakTFC
09-18-2010, 10:35 PM
When Santos coughed up that nice from Barrett on his first touch I nearly punched a whole through my own face.

jazzy
09-18-2010, 10:37 PM

^this....and I am a man eating my past critiques of Chad....with enough skill, you always need a Chad for a wake up call

adam1001
09-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Maicon's not been great at all since coming back from injury, but i thought he was decent before. Im hoping its just a fitness issue.

Azerban
09-18-2010, 10:43 PM
santos is fine, had one bad touch, sorry about your bad opinions re: soccer

Auzzy
09-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Ya know...those Canadian guys, they never try hard, they never score any goals...man, Preki was totally right. ;)

Well, Preki was half right I guess. JDG was so bad tonight it was unbelievable. Not even infinitely remotely DP level. So many easy passes gone wrong, barely any successful tackles or interceptions, constantly getting wrong side of guys he was trying to cover or tackle. And those were the times you could even tell he was on the field. (BTW I didn't think DeRo was too hot either tonight, other than a few plays including the two "Houston we have lift off" shots -- but mostly still the best of a bad lot.)

I was such a JDG booster for so long, but now I'm immensely disappointed. When the time comes for him to stand up & be counted, especially with Preki his supposed nemesis gone, he fails miserably. Sometimes he just looks like a relatively talented 12-year-old playing on a men's team.

Anyway, first half was unbelievably bad for TFC, 2nd half I think they mostly played to the best of their abilities. Which is of course also pretty bad but was enough to win the game today -- thanks to Frei & DeRo.

WTF why didn't Mista come on instead of OBW, I guess we're resting Mista for Tuesday, no wait he got a red card in CCL so he can't play Tuesday anyway... the mysteries continue...

jazzy
09-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Maicon's not been great at all since coming back from injury, but i thought he was decent before. Im hoping its just a fitness issue.

Santos is playing with lead feet these days, but he came back to soon from what I see as a knee injury and being older that is hard...he probably shouldn't be playing but I'm going to give him the benefit of doubt that he's wanting to in the line-up....although he's not getting along with someone as we frequently see and keeping to kimself ......He was Preki's man.......he has great feet, just hurtin IMHO

ag futbol
09-18-2010, 10:52 PM
WTF why didn't Mista come on instead of OBW, I guess we're resting Mista for Tuesday, no wait he got a red card in CCL so he can't play Tuesday anyway... the mysteries continue...
I'm not sure WTF is up with that either, but it seams he might as well be sent back to spain. 900k ... well spent.

I don't know what to say about JDG except I do still think he's talented, but i question if he's even remotely interested in trying. Some people are blaming the physical style of MLS, blah blah blah ... load of shit. If this guy wanted to he could boss the midfield in every game, but he just doesn't seem to care.

jazzy
09-18-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure WTF is up with that either, but it seams he might as well be sent back to spain. 900k ... well spent.

I don't know what to say about JDG except I do still think he's talented, but i question if he's even remotely interested in trying. Some people are blaming the physical style of MLS, blah blah blah ... load of shit. If this guy wanted to he could boss the midfield in every game, but he just doesn't seem to care.

^this is apparently all there is......A year of giving him excuses...no more
How and can we get rid of his contract or are we, patsies

andyc
09-18-2010, 10:59 PM

Maybe our coach is being a hard ass and benching him for being a twat and getting a red card... Imagine discipline being managed without any fuss and bother...

pekduck
09-18-2010, 11:01 PM
one of the best Texas away trip :D

saw both set piece goals right in front of me! DeRo totally owned Onstand on those 2 beautiful shots...

finally. we scored on set pieces!! (post-Guevara era)

KRO
09-18-2010, 11:04 PM
DeRo may have won the game with two great free kicks but that result is down to Chad Barrett giving them all a kick up the ass.

Hooligan69
09-18-2010, 11:06 PM
WTF! Still sitting here in disbelief. Can't believe we won tonight. :eek:

TFC USA
09-18-2010, 11:08 PM
DC United up 1-0 on the Galaxatives. What the fuck is going on with them?

EDIT: What a fucking mess of a play leading to a goal by Landycakes.

EDIT II: And the lucky fuck is open for the winner. Fuck you DC United. Why couldn't you do that against us?

Brooker
09-18-2010, 11:32 PM
LOL I love Danny's reaction when the 2nd goal goes in... he looks like a little kid on Christmas morning...

and who was Dasovic telling fuck you? one of the officials?

TFCwestcan
09-18-2010, 11:42 PM
What a very strange game tonight, It was disappointing looking at a team in the first half that seemed to be done for the season. That said what a great effort for the come from behind win on the road. I can't believe OBW header at the end, sheese... Dero almost shakes his head. I second the question as to where Mista was, I was shocked to see Peterson appear as a late sub. You can almost see that changes coming in the off season.

dantdot
09-18-2010, 11:45 PM
http://www.zygosoccerreport.com/2010/09/dominic-kinnear-seasons-over.html

Kinda off-topic but Kinnear's post-game comments are absolutely worth a listen. He mad.

twistedchinaman
09-18-2010, 11:45 PM
What a very strange game tonight, It was disappointing looking at a team in the first half that seemed to be done for the season. That said what a great effort for the come from behind win on the road. I can't believe OBW header at the end, sheese... Dero almost shakes his head. I second the question as to where Mista was, I was shocked to see Peterson appear as a late sub. You can almost see that changes coming in the off season.

I just had a chance to see the OBW header as well (was following the game on the Match Tracker)...and wow that was pathetic.

BTW...finally, someone else in Calgary! Where do you watch all your games?

Auzzy
09-18-2010, 11:50 PM

Kinda off-topic but Kinnear's post-game comments are absolutely worth a listen. He mad.

Wow, that's a zesty interview! After Kinnear's first few answers, the reporters are all scared shitless to ask anything else. Just happy the depressing press conference was by another team for a change...

Alixir
09-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Aside from the win, the best thing about that goal....hearing the boys cheering as a dead hush fell apon the stadium.

Blizzard
09-18-2010, 11:56 PM
santos is fine, had one bad touch, sorry about your bad opinions re: soccer

Agreed. I believe he was a bit frustrated as well. He is still trying things that his teammates can't see.

A prime example took place at the end of the first half outside the Houston box. IIRC, Barrett fed DeRo who was moving towards the centre of the pitch. Maicon went on a nice diagonal run that would have split the defense wide open. DeRo, if he had read the play, should have one touched it to him. The timing would have been perfect but instead DeRo held onto the ball and by the time he passed to Maicon, he was offside. He was visibly annoyed by the lack of service from DeRo and it was easy to see why. A golden opportunity went begging.

It's the same old story. DeRo can be a monster as he was on those two free kicks and some other good moments in the second half but when he isn't "on", he has blinders on and chances like I described go begging.

That said, it's just one of those things you have to live with sometimes.

Shakes McQueen
09-18-2010, 11:56 PM

Jesus, that is not a happy man.

- Scott

DangerRed
09-19-2010, 12:04 AM

- Scott

Wow - no punches pulled. I recommend everyone listen to that one.

pekduck
09-19-2010, 12:07 AM
Agreed. I believe he was a bit frustrated as well. He is still trying things that his teammates can't see.

A prime example took place at the end of the first half outside the Houston box. IIRC, Barrett fed DeRo who was moving towards the centre of the pitch. Maicon went on a nice diagonal run that would have split the defense wide open. DeRo, if he had read the play, should have one touched it to him. The timing would have been perfect but instead DeRo held onto the ball and by the time he passed to Maicon, he was offside. He was visibly annoyed by the lack of service from DeRo and it was easy to see why. A golden opportunity went begging.

It's the same old story. DeRo can be a monster as he was on those two free kicks and some other good moments in the second half but when he isn't "on", he has blinders on and chances like I described go begging.

That said, it's just one of those things you have to live with sometimes.

yulp. dero is just being dero :) love him or not, when he's on, he's really frigging on!

James17930
09-19-2010, 12:08 AM

- Scott

And then, after quoting advice from his mom, he apologizes for it being a depressing press conference.

Hilarious.

DangerRed
09-19-2010, 12:11 AM
yulp. dero is just being dero :) love him or not, when he's on, he's really frigging on!

Sorry, but I have to temper some of that "DeRo is just being DeRo" enthusiasm. Think about all the roofed balls, all the corner flags hit and every shot missed because our cap decided he should be the one to shoot, regardless of angle.

He proved so very well why he is valuable to the team today. But the egomaniac thing isn't something you can cure overnight. It's an attitude, and he has it.

TFCRegina
09-19-2010, 12:14 AM
ROFL...Kinnear is classic. The one reporter asking about the killer instinct...sounds like he's dropping a deuce in his shorts.

pekduck
09-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Sorry, but I have to temper some of that "DeRo is just being DeRo" enthusiasm. Think about all the roofed balls, all the corner flags hit and every shot missed because our cap decided he should be the one to shoot, regardless of angle.

He proved so very well why he is valuable to the team today. But the egomaniac thing isn't something you can cure overnight. It's an attitude, and he has it.

i don't disagree with you, frustrating at times, ecstatic at times, hence, i said dero is just being dero :)

habstfc
09-19-2010, 12:31 AM
Those 2 goals Dero scored were special but where the hell was the wall on both those goals, it's like there wasn't one.

Auzzy
09-19-2010, 12:56 AM
The wall was covering the near side, the ball was shot on the far side which the goalie was supposed to cover. Also, due to LaBrocca passing the ball a few feet to the right to DeRo, they were further past the wall. On the 2nd goal, someone (Saric?) also pushed a Houston player out of the wall, making more room on that side & distracting everyone. Lastly, both times a player made a dummy run past Onstad, drawing a defender with him & also distracting Onstad. (Once at least it was Barrett; not sure who it was on the other goal.)

Pretty freaking funny that it all worked twice, carbon copy goals. Actually, I didn't react right away to the 2nd one because it almost felt like a replay of the first, surreal.

TFCRegina
09-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Those 2 goals Dero scored were special but where the hell was the wall on both those goals, it's like there wasn't one.

I think they hired our set piece coach.

twistedchinaman
09-19-2010, 01:19 AM
I think they hired our set piece coach.

:lol:

Keystone FC
09-19-2010, 02:46 AM
Wow, that's a zesty interview! After Kinnear's first few answers, the reporters are all scared shitless to ask anything else. Just happy the depressing press conference was by another team for a change...
I was about to say that it sounded ALOT like our post game pressers for the past 4 years.

ensco
09-19-2010, 07:26 AM
I suppose there's some justice as it seems to me there's been about 5 games this year where we deserved better, so it's good to steal one.

The problem is, how the hell did Seattle walk into Crew Stadium and paste Columbus 4-0?

(oh right, their new DP striker scored 3. silly me)

Pookie
09-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Speaking of Mista, where was he?

It was a strange night last night. I went to bed happy that we got 3 points but with none of the optimism that should come from victory.

Outside of DeRo's 2 shots, we managed just 1 other Shot on Goal all game.

They held a decisive advantage in Corners (10-2), Possession (55%-45%) Shots on Goal (8-3) and Shots overall (14-7). And they are the last place club in the West with a -10 differential.

It was a pathetic effort from a team on the verge of checking out of the season. My only hope is that the new Manager doesn't use the scoreline as a way to evaluate this team. It still needs major balls to move some ineffective parts. Starting with the 2 DPs.

Kaz
09-19-2010, 08:47 AM
A Win is a Win and I'll take it but that was pure luck we did not deserve that win at all.

And Santos needs to be bitch slapped,

Alixir
09-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Speaking of Mista, where was he?

he was there...but I guess daso thought OBW could do more?

Nuvinho
09-19-2010, 11:23 AM
I was really suprised that Mista did not play a part in the game, because they knew he wasn't going to be playing against Cruz Azul. I don't want to look too much into this, but its strange.

Thrillos
09-19-2010, 11:28 AM
I think its because of the Red Card he got against RSL. Daso was punishing him for kind of screwing over the chances of a comeback. Either way I would have much rather had him come in over OBW.

Darlofletch
09-19-2010, 11:47 AM
so, we go up by one then crash to a 4-1 loss, then follow that with a game where we're a bit of a shambles and have to rely on de ro to bail us out with two set piece goals.

we've gone back to where we were in april. lovely.

obviously de ro's not going to be able to do that every game, so if anything's going to happen this season, let's hope we quickly get to our may-early august form where we play better as a team and don't have to rely on de ro, then hope no-one gets injured to mess that up.

Pigfynn
09-19-2010, 11:48 AM
One good thing I took from the post game interview with Dasovic was when he said "Anyone who thinks I'm a nice guy should have been in the dressing room at half time" I'm encouraged by that and the fact that Gargen insinuated that Dichio gave them a bit of bollocking at half as well. I would do exactly what Danny told me :)

I do agree that we didn't deserve a win, but with two free kick goals it's hard to argue we didn't deserve a point. A positive outcome either way.

Pachuco
09-19-2010, 11:56 AM
For those complaining about Houston's wall. I guess you missed the part where both free kicks were pushed to the right of the wall which gave Dero a clear opportunity on net. Were you expecting the wall to move in unison?

Did you also miss the part where both shots went in goalie side? you guys are blaming the wall and the ball beat the goalie, not the wall.

Beach_Red
09-19-2010, 11:57 AM
so, we go up by one then crash to a 4-1 loss, then follow that with a game where we're a bit of a shambles and have to rely on de ro to bail us out with two set piece goals.

And the different outcomes in the two games really says more about the teams we were playing against - there's a big difference between RSL and Houston.

Still, as Piggyfin says, the most encouraging thing about the game last night was that TFC played differently in the second half - for four years we've been watching the other tream make halftime adjustments,it was nice to see TFC do it for once.

JonO
09-19-2010, 11:59 AM
They held a decisive advantage in Corners (10-2), Possession (55%-45%) Shots on Goal (8-3) and Shots overall (14-7). And they are the last place club in the West with a -10 differential.

Actually, that possession stat show that we really picked up in the 2nd half since we only had 35% in the first half. Points to a decent turnaround by the team.

Nuvinho
09-19-2010, 02:22 PM
notice that Dichio last year (under CC/MoJo) and this year (Preki/MoJo), was too old to make those long flights....but under Daso he is on an extended road trip.

Blizzard
09-19-2010, 02:28 PM
I was really suprised that Mista did not play a part in the game, because they knew he wasn't going to be playing against Cruz Azul. I don't want to look too much into this, but its strange.

He was probably benched becaue of the red card against RSL, the red card that rules him out of the Cruz Azul match as he is suspended.

Blizzard
09-19-2010, 02:31 PM
notice that Dichio last year (under CC/MoJo) and this year (Preki/MoJo), was too old to make those long flights....but under Daso he is on an extended road trip.

Uh, ya, ok. The difference is Dichio was not expected to play on this particular road trip. :rolleyes:

Maybe the next one perhaps.

Oldtimer
09-19-2010, 02:49 PM
TFC seemed to do better in the second half, and in particularly at the 60th minute really came alive.

ArmenJBX
09-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Also to note, Toronto FC have never scored in the opening 30 minutes in regular league play.

Wull
09-19-2010, 03:59 PM
:hump::hump::hump:

no wait

<3

(romance first, that shit works, right?)

You don't need romance if you have an accent :D

Wull
09-19-2010, 04:01 PM
That was about as honest an assessment of Dichio's situation as Brennan's "my legs have gone" excuse. They needed him off the team to bring in jdg :picard:

King Jeff
09-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Uh, ya, ok. The difference is Dichio was not expected to play on this particular road trip. :rolleyes:

Maybe the next one perhaps.

Ha ha ha - this is one of my favourite posts in a long time. Well done, sir.

TFCRegina
09-19-2010, 05:58 PM
That was about as honest an assessment of Dichio's situation as Brennan's "my legs have gone" excuse. They needed him off the team to bring in jdg :picard:

Anyone who watched Brennan last year would have noted that he had lost a step and he got caught hopelessly out of position repeatedly. He just wasn't good enough any more. So many times last year we were hit from the left side.

Garcia's done about as good of a job as Brennan at leftback. Which should be telling us that Garcia should think about catching on with the Academy...I hear the U-14s are starting up, so the Academy will be looking for new coaches.

The only bad thing about this whole thing is we'll need to add another player to the roster to play leftback next year, as Usanov and Scano are not the guys we want at that position.

Just more player turnover. :facepalm:

bgnewf
09-19-2010, 07:24 PM
"Time To Shut Up And Play"

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/09/shut-up-and-play

In this V-Blog I give DeRo, Nick Dasocvic and especially Chad Barrett credit where due for the surprisingly positive result away in Houston Texas.

I also decide that after this past week it might be time to nominate Mista for the Laurent Robert Big TFC Bust Award.

Your comments are always welcome and appreciated.

CretanBull
09-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Anyone who watched Brennan last year would have noted that he had lost a step and he got caught hopelessly out of position repeatedly. He just wasn't good enough any more. So many times last year we were hit from the left side.

While there is some truth to that, he was willing to give this season a try - until Preki was hired. Its fairly widely known that Brennan moved upstairs because of a rift between him and Preki/Brennan's unwillingness to play for Preki.

Oldtimer
09-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Also to note, Toronto FC have never scored in the opening 30 minutes in regular league play.

You're statistic is wrong (where do you get your information?). :rolleyes:

If you don't properly check your facts, please don't post "facts."

e.g. from 2007 (a game I was at):

Miguel Canizalez scored in the second minute for Toronto, breaking the team's scoreless drought after 824 minutes. Canizalez fired from close range after Columbus failed to clear a Jim Brennan cross from the left.http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/09/23/columbus_edges_toronto_to_stop_winless_streak/

It was a real garbage goal that broke the infamous streak of 2007, and it was in regular play.

ArmenJBX
09-19-2010, 08:32 PM
You're statistic is wrong (where do you get your information?). :rolleyes:

If you don't properly check your facts, please don't post "facts."

e.g. from 2007 (a game I was at):

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/09/23/columbus_edges_toronto_to_stop_winless_streak/

It was a real garbage goal that broke the infamous streak of 2007, and it was in regular play.

Should have been clearer, we haven't scored in the first 30 this seasons league play, according to Gerry Dobson.

Brooker
09-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Should have been clearer, we haven't scored in the first 30 this seasons league play, according to Gerry Dobson.

We've scored in the first 30 against New England 28', Chicago 24', & Chivas 21'.

I think he said 15 minutes.

habstfc
09-19-2010, 09:46 PM
He was probably benched becaue of the red card against RSL, the red card that rules him out of the Cruz Azul match as he is suspended.

This is the part I totally disagree with. TFC are fighting for their lives both in league play and in the CCL. If you want to prove a point to a player, make him do extra laps or push-ups or something. I don't think you make a point by making one of your more skilled player's sit on the bench in a must win game.

Blizzard
09-19-2010, 10:24 PM
This is the part I totally disagree with. TFC are fighting for their lives both in league play and in the CCL. If you want to prove a point to a player, make him do extra laps or push-ups or something. I don't think you make a point by making one of your more skilled player's sitting on the bench in a must win game.

Well, as he can't play against Cruz Azul, he should certainly be well rested for the match against San Jose on Saturday.

twistedchinaman
09-19-2010, 11:10 PM
This is the part I totally disagree with. TFC are fighting for their lives both in league play and in the CCL. If you want to prove a point to a player, make him do extra laps or push-ups or something. I don't think you make a point by making one of your more skilled player's sitting on the bench in a must win game.

Hence this only adds fuel to the "Mista is unfit/injured" fire....

CoachGT
09-20-2010, 07:10 AM

If a team giving up the most shots of any team in the league constitutes good defending, then we were certainly "better" in games prior to this one!

Frei should get defender of the year!

menefreghista
09-20-2010, 07:42 AM
If a team giving up the most shots of any team in the league constitutes good defending, then we were certainly "better" in games prior to this one!

This is an excellent point that continually gets missed. If Preki is the defensive genius people keep claiming, than why do we give up so many shots?

Frei has made up for our bad defending with excelling keeping.

pekduck
09-20-2010, 07:57 AM

I agree to certain extent.
However, a large number of those shots were given up as shot from outside of the box
which poses no threat to Frei as long as he's awake.

In the recent two games a large number of shots were given up inside the box and Frei have to pull miraculous saves after saves.

It is a sign the the back line is getting less organized as they started to push up more on the fullbacks and left more spaces behind.

Hence, it is still debatable at this point that whether we 'lost' our defensive cohesiveness. Let's keep observing.

CoachGT
09-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Frei seems to be strong when he's one on one with a striker - he just seems to pull it off frequently. However, many of those shots from outside have been crackers, ones that he's had to make dives to push past the goal. And many of the shots have been within 25 yards of goal. Outside of the box is a danger area when playing against guys who can strike the ball.

TFC gives up more attempted shots than any other team; TFC gives up more offsides than any other team; TFC gives up more shots on goal than any other team.

I agree that our central backs are stronger than they have ever been, but to think that we've been strong defensively is questionable at best.

Pachuco
09-20-2010, 09:37 AM
I agree to certain extent.
However, a large number of those shots were given up as shot from outside of the box
which poses no threat to Frei as long as he's awake.

In the recent two games a large number of shots were given up inside the box and Frei have to pull miraculous saves after saves.

It is a sign the the back line is getting less organized as they started to push up more on the fullbacks and left more spaces behind.

Hence, it is still debatable at this point that whether we 'lost' our defensive cohesiveness. Let's keep observing.

I really don't see any difference in the defense since Preki left. We got trashed by Red Bull at home with Preki as the coach the same way RSL trashed us away from home. Which one did you think was the most likely scenario? You are talking about two very good teams. Frei's had highlight reel saves and man of the match games in a crap load of 0-0 ties or 1-0 games with Preki at the helm.

When your team has given up the most shots in the entire league you can't really claim that their defense is solid (not saying you are but others are). We are relying on a very good goalie to keep us in every game. I've seen Garcia, Hscanovic and Usanov let guys behind them and into the box all season long. In fact, I didn't see the backs pushing up all that much against Houston. We were on our heals most of the game.

Having said all that, we somehow look terrible on set pieces now. Not sure if that has something to do with Preki or not. But since he left, we look really bad on them.

Lastly, I think you are all forgetting that we lost half of Canana these two games. Anytime you lose a start CB and you replace him with Garcia what do you think is going to happen? Let's wait and see how things go when Canana is back together.

daner90
09-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Having said all that, we somehow look terrible on set pieces now. Not sure if that has something to do with Preki or not. But since he left, we look really bad on them.

Two games without Nana have shown how valuable he is defending set pieces.
That being said, on two of the 3 goals from set pieces, it seems that it was the forwards man who went unmarked and scored.

pekduck
09-20-2010, 09:51 AM
I really don't see any difference in the defense since Preki left. We got trashed by Red Bull at home with Preki as the coach the same way RSL trashed us away from home. Which one did you think was the most likely scenario? You are talking about two very good teams. Frei's had highlight reel saves and man of the match games in a crap load of 0-0 ties or 1-0 games with Preki at the helm.

When your team has given up the most shots in the entire league you can't really claim that their defense is solid (not saying you are but others are). We are relying on a very good goalie to keep us in every game. I've seen Garcia, Hscanovic and Usanov let guys behind them and into the box all season long. In fact, I didn't see the backs pushing up all that much against Houston. We were on our heals most of the game.

Lastly, I think you are all forgetting that we lost half of Canana these two games. Anytime you lose a start CB and you replace him with Garcia what do you think is going to happen? Let's wait and see how things go when Canana is back together.

let's look at all the games since day 1, we held high scoring LA to 0-0 draws back to back, shut out Seattle Sounders as well. There have been good matches and bad matches. Many of the tie games were 0-0 grinder style points.

Again, at this point, I'm still in observing mode, so I won't conclude my opinion on whether we 'lost' the defensive edge or not.

Pachuco
09-20-2010, 09:53 AM
[/size]

Two games without Nana have shown how valuable he is defending set pieces.
That being said, on two of the 3 goals from set pieces, it seems that it was the forwards man who went unmarked and scored.

Yeah, agreed. Nana missing and us getting worst at defending set pieces seems to be the more likely cause of why all of a sudden we look bad defending them.

Pachuco
09-20-2010, 10:02 AM
let's look at all the games since day 1, we held high scoring LA to 0-0 draws back to back, shut out Seattle Sounders as well. There have been good matches and bad matches. Many of the tie games were 0-0 grinder style points.

Again, at this point, I'm still in observing mode, so I won't conclude my opinion on whether we 'lost' the defensive edge or not.

Sure, and we were playing much better footie then than we have been for the last two months. So let's take the Chicago game (0-0) draw which was one of Preki's last games at the helm.

Here is what the recap had to say:

Stefan Frei was at his absolute best on the night and made some very difficult stops look routine. Toronto received strong performances yet again from Adrian Cann and Ty Harden, while Dwayne De Rosario (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=2397) showed typically relentless commitment going forward. But Frei managed to outshine his teammates.

That coupled with this

A shocking miss on a breakaway by Chicago star Freddie Ljungberg was one of the many talking points in a scoreless, but eventful match between Toronto FC and Chicago Fire S.C. (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/09/physical-match-ends-draw) on Wednesday night in Bridgeview, Illinois.

Is a recent example of a 0-0 game where we defended like crap with Preki at the helm. We came away with a 0-0 tie thanks to Chicago's crappy shooting and thanks to Stefan Frei.

I'm in wait mode as well, which is why I'm saying let's just wait and see when Nana comes back how we look defensively.