PDA

View Full Version : Stop slamming Canadian MLS players!

sidney
09-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Ok, I can understand Preki biting back with counter-comments towards DeRo & JDG for their comments (he did just get fired afterwall, and anyone would be pissed); but even Bobby McMahon (for Fox Soccer Report) even got into the Canadian-player-bashing act by stating (paraphrasing but almost accurate): "Canadian players like to complain about the coach..."

What are your thoughts? A bad rap? Some truth? Much truth?

Shakes McQueen
09-17-2010, 06:25 PM
I think stereotyping Canadian players as though they act any differently than any other players is dumb, as Bobby (apparently) appears to have done, but to stop criticizing Canadian players altogether would be ridiculous.

- Scott

volunteer
09-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Ok, I can understand Preki biting back with counter-comments towards DeRo & JDG for their comments (he did just get fired afterwall, and anyone would be pissed); but even Bobby McMahon (for Fox Soccer Report) even got into the Canadian-player-bashing act by stating (paraphrasing but almost accurate): "Canadian players like to complain about the coach..."

What are your thoughts? A bad rap? Some truth? Much truth?

i honestly don't believe Preki's comments should be taken as some sort of nationalistic snub nor did he mean it at all in that way beyond just stating that may have been where the lines of division had lain in the conflict within TFC.

i seriously doubt Preki could even be bothered by the whole Canada vs. USA pantomime bullshit

as for McMahon... well when you consider the mutinies in the Canadian Men's National Team when it was both under Mitchell and Osieck, he might actually have a point and Canadian players might be earning this rep if they haven't already

ensco
09-17-2010, 09:25 PM
At least half the WC teams had blowups. The whole FIFA model of asking guys to play for free for their country is at the root of it.

Blizzard
09-17-2010, 09:40 PM
i honestly don't believe Preki's comments should be taken as some sort of nationalistic snub nor did he mean it at all in that way beyond just stating that may have been where the lines of division had lain in the conflict within TFC.

i seriously doubt Preki could even be bothered by the whole Canada vs. USA pantomime bullshit

as for McMahon... well when you consider the mutinies in the Canadian Men's National Team when it was both under Mitchell and Osieck, he might actually have a point and Canadian players might be earning this rep if they haven't already

Whatever happened, it seems to have worked out for Holger as he now runs the 24th best national team in the world (according to FIFA anyway).

http://www.australiabid.com.au/resources.ashx/News/96.600.1000.0.0.80/ImageFile/F3196DD1465C74EDF55E16DEF43FFF59/holger_osieck.JPG

ballerz
09-17-2010, 11:17 PM
would be top choice for TFC's top job...