PDA

View Full Version : Jason deVos on TFC

maninb
09-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Heard the lengthy interview on the Footy Show yesterday...DeVos REALLY gave it to Preki for getting rid of the 2 biggest CHARACTER GUYS on TFC....Robinson and Cronin....He also referenced how DeRo and JDG aren't very good in the dressing room or the type of leaders TFC needs...

Oldtimer
09-17-2010, 08:02 AM
I'd support deVos on the TFC management team. He should be the technical director.

koryo
09-17-2010, 08:04 AM
Heard the lengthy interview on the Footy Show yesterday...DeVos REALLY gave it to Preki for getting rid of the 2 biggest CHARACTER GUYS on TFC....Robinson and Cronin....He also referenced how DeRo and JDG aren't very good in the dressing room or the type of leaders TFC needs...

I think that's fairly evident from the piss poor football this team plays.

Someone else has said it on here: country club culture.

I'm beginning to agree.

J .
09-17-2010, 08:27 AM

I dont mind Robbo and Cronin not being here, I do agree with DeRo and the JDG sentiment.

Wull
09-17-2010, 08:29 AM

If this does turn out to be true then they also have to go. That jersey means more than anyone putting it on or being associated with it

ManUtd4ever
09-17-2010, 08:33 AM

WOW, that's a serious indictment of their character coming from a former CMNT member. I can't speak of DeRo or JDG in terms of their personalities in the locker room. However, as an avid supporter, I have never questioned their work ethic and I've always thought DeRo in particular has demonstrated tremendous leadership qualities on the pitch as a captain...

menefreghista
09-17-2010, 08:46 AM
I think that's fairly evident from the piss poor football this team plays.

Someone else has said it on here: country club culture.

I'm beginning to agree.

I wonder about this too. When I heard about De Guzman breaking curfew earlier in the season I immediately recalled how he was out partying at a club in Montreal after the crucial WCQ loss to Honduras, just days before another important game against Mexico.

De Rosario and De Guzman are always hosting parties after games in Toronto. I wonder if they have their priorities straight?

Keep in mind that I still think De Rosario is our greatest player ever (in our 4 year history).

I wanted Preki fired based on results alone. But his dismissal is very similar to the Dale Mitchell saga with Canada. When you consider that some of the same players are involved you start to question the players a lot more.

TOBOR !
09-17-2010, 09:00 AM
^ Uh, Dale Mitchell should never have been given the job in the first place. He was plainly and simply a man without a plan.

Preki's vision (whatever it was) required a different squad of players than the one he was working with. He'll do better with a different team, and TFC will do better with a different manager.

JDG has been a bust from day one.

scooter
09-17-2010, 09:08 AM
I dont mind Robbo and Cronin not being here, I do agree with DeRo and the JDG sentiment.

well for the record i mind

robbo was a class act and is missed

cronin is going to bite us in the ass down the road -- where did he go -- but we develop him for 2 yrs he is one of our draft pics and now if he goes to another club and hits his prime in 2 years it will be another waste like buttle

dero is the man and can hold his head high

jdg has one more chance against huston to impress me and then i am calling for his dismissal and spend all that money on someone who can really help the team not someone who jumps out of the way of a free kick and allows a goal cause he might get hit with a ball

Borga
09-17-2010, 09:15 AM
I have a hard time seeing DeRo as a good captain when he's sitting on the ground crying because he couldn't draw a foul on someone, or waving his arms and yelling because someone didn't pass to him.

jabbronies
09-17-2010, 09:16 AM
WOW, that's a serious indictment of their character coming from a former CMNT member. I can't speak of DeRo or JDG in terms of their personalities in the locker room. However, as an avid supporter, I have never questioned their work ethic and I've always thought DeRo in particular has demonstrated tremendous leadership qualities on the pitch as a captain...

Can't deny Dero's skill. I still question his leadership abilities though on the pitch. He's very selfish player - not knocking him for it, but it's not conducive to a leaders role to play like that. he doesn't elevate the game of others on the field like a leader should.

As for JDG - He's been shit this year and it ain't preki's fault IMO. You don't give away the ball as much as he does because of an overall system failure. That's an individual's problem.

Parkdale
09-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Robinson was getting a bit old, and even though he's an A++ guy, age is an issue for any pro athlete. Cronin on the other hand, could have been an anchor in this league for the next 6 seasons easily.

scooter
09-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Robinson was getting a bit old, and even though he's an A++ guy, age is an issue for any pro athlete. Cronin on the other hand, could have been an anchor in this league for the next 6 seasons easily.

agreed on robbo but he could have become part of our support team and groom new youth with his experience
if he hadnt got kicked out on his azz i am sure he would have stuck around
just my thoughts

maninb
09-17-2010, 09:33 AM
deVos wan't speaking about skill level, he was speaking about LEADERSHIP...Robbo was the leader in the dressing room and continually held people accountable, something DeRo is unwilling or unable to do...both Robbo and Dichio thought Cronin would be the eventual Captain of TFC...that's how much respect they gave him...I think it's not too much of a leap to see why Preki hated Robbo and Cronin...to an egomaniac/control freak like him they represented a challenge to his authority...real or imagined...

MartinUtd
09-17-2010, 09:36 AM
I wonder what the chances of getting Cronin back are?

jabbronies
09-17-2010, 09:41 AM
I wonder what the chances of getting Cronin back are?

I'm going to say zero. I believe he's a starter in San Jose. We fucked up big time in that one!!

Beach_Red
09-17-2010, 09:55 AM
deVos wan't speaking about skill level, he was speaking about LEADERSHIP...Robbo was the leader in the dressing room and continually held people accountable, something DeRo is unwilling or unable to do...both Robbo and Dichio thought Cronin would be the eventual Captain of TFC...that's how much respect they gave him...I think it's not too much of a leap to see why Preki hated Robbo and Cronin...to an egomaniac/control freak like him they represented a challenge to his authority...real or imagined...

Leadership is the key problem with this whole organization - it goes beyond TFC, but it's been a problem there since the beginning when they made the mistake of hiring an inexperienced guy to run it (there's really too much hate on this board for the guy they hired. He didn't have enough experience for the job that's all).

Everything thathas come since - the huge number of players and coaches in and out, the overpaying of players, the dressing room problems, the lack of cohesion, the lack of consistent game plans - everything really starts with the lack of leadership because of inexperience.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-17-2010, 10:22 AM
I wonder about this too. When I heard about De Guzman breaking curfew earlier in the season I immediately recalled how he was out partying at a club in Montreal after the crucial WCQ loss to Honduras, just days before another important game against Mexico.

De Rosario and De Guzman are always hosting parties after games in Toronto. I wonder if they have their priorities straight?

Keep in mind that I still think De Rosario is our greatest player ever (in our 4 year history).

I wanted Preki fired based on results alone. But his dismissal is very similar to the Dale Mitchell saga with Canada. When you consider that some of the same players are involved you start to question the players a lot more.

Sadly, I agree with your sentiment. I admit to a certain degree of bias as a CMNT supporter, but I've noticed a lot of parallels between the Dale Mitchell saga and the Preki saga. Even if neither coach should have been hired by his respective team in the first place, how players act under the tutelage of any coach says a lot about their character. I get tired of reading about excuses from our players, regardless of whether or not they come from DeRo and JDG. At the end of the day, results are all that matters.

Pigfynn
09-17-2010, 10:44 AM
I'd support deVos on the TFC management team. He should be the technical director.

Yes!

ensco
09-17-2010, 11:03 AM
This is the best theory I've heard on what went down, courtesy of my old friend Old Striker:

(speculation alert - if you don't like speculation, stop here)

Interesting to see James and DeVos come out swinging. When has DeVos ever had anything critical to say about anybody? We're getting into some old CMNT grudges. Let's have an MMA fight: Devos, James, Mitchell vs. Dero, JDG and Daso (Daso is JDG and Dero's ex teammate, and is their friend).

It was a clear coup. The start of TFC's slide coincided with Preki changing formation to a diamond midfield with both Dero and JDG playing their preferred positions at the top and bottom of the diamond respectively. Before that Preki used them in a number of positions and formations. Why did this happen? Was it coming from above? Mo? Anselmi? I think JDG, Dero and Daso were going over Preki's head for a while, Preki alluded to this with that "last few months have been hell comment". He also mentioned in a post-game press conference (can't remember which one) that "Julian plays deep in central midfield because that's where Julian wants to play". In the end, Preki just gave up and said "fine, you win" and played them there and the team sucked. I think Preki had resigned himself to be fired, he knew what was coming and probably welcomed it. He gave up, and then the team finally gave up.

Beach_Red
09-17-2010, 11:10 AM
^ If that's how it went down, did Mo give up, too? Preki was pretty much his last chance wasn't he? It would be interesting to find out if TFC was really allowed to sign any DP or if it had to be a Canadian.

jloome
09-17-2010, 11:15 AM
This is the best theory I've heard on what went down, courtesy of my old friend Old Striker:

(speculation alert - if you don't like speculation, stop here)

Interesting to see James and DeVos come out swinging. When has DeVos ever had anything critical to say about anybody? We're getting into some old CMNT grudges. Let's have an MMA fight: Devos, James, Mitchell vs. Dero, JDG and Daso (Daso is JDG and Dero's ex teammate, and is their friend).

It was a clear coup. The start of TFC's slide coincided with Preki changing formation to a diamond midfield with both Dero and JDG playing their preferred positions at the top and bottom of the diamond respectively. Before that Preki used them in a number of positions and formations. Why did this happen? Was it coming from above? Mo? Anselmi? I think JDG, Dero and Daso were going over Preki's head for a while, Preki alluded to this with that "last few months have been hell comment". He also mentioned in a post-game press conference (can't remember which one) that "Julian plays deep in central midfield because that's where Julian wants to play". In the end, Preki just gave up and said "fine, you win" and played them there and the team sucked. I think Preki had resigned himself to be fired, he knew what was coming and probably welcomed it. He gave up, and then the team finally gave up.

And since this is incredibly one-sided, I'll throw in another piece of speculation: since we've only one 1 game in the last 11, Preki didn't know how to adjust the team to ANY tactical approach other than two-way play in all positions.

Under that, I'd mutiny, too.

I'd also note that Devos isn't criticizing DeRosario or DeGuzman: it's long established that neither is a team leader, over the course of their careers. But most of us aren't.

He's saying they're in the wrong roles, which is why the loss of Robinson, a stabilizing presence in the dressing room, is so important.

TFC_PB
09-17-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm going to say zero. I believe he's a starter in San Jose. We fucked up big time in that one!!

Sam is a regular starter for San Jose now. He has yet to score, though. Maybe he'll pick a goal off TFC in next week's game...much like Robbo, and Cunningham recently did. What's with these ex players all getting revenge lately?

ensco
09-17-2010, 12:20 PM
And since this is incredibly one-sided, I'll throw in another piece of speculation: since we've only one 1 game in the last 11, Preki didn't know how to adjust the team to ANY tactical approach other than two-way play in all positions.

Under that, I'd mutiny, too.

I'd also note that Devos isn't criticizing DeRosario or DeGuzman: it's long established that neither is a team leader, over the course of their careers. But most of us aren't.

He's saying they're in the wrong roles, which is why the loss of Robinson, a stabilizing presence in the dressing room, is so important.

Hey, I don't think Preki was a good selection as coach, or did a good job. But that's not the point that's important for me. Management supporting a mutiny, now that has terrible long-term implications.

We disagree on DeVos. In his own Caspar Milquetoast way, he was calling them out.

TOBOR !
09-17-2010, 12:22 PM
remember how sexy our midfield looked for a short time ? Cronin, Robbo, JDG, Amado... *sigh*

Juanito
09-17-2010, 12:40 PM
I think leadership is a problem, but I also think that chemistry is a bigger problem. For some reason, we can not find the right mix of players to consistently perform for us. Our depth (or lack there of) is a concern as well.

We need to build around a nucleus, but we must define who are the core players, and whether it's worth to build around that nucleus. People automagically assume that De Rosario and De Gúzman are our core, but I have yet to see them grab the bull by the horns and carry this team. Until this happens, I have to assume that they are going and should be scrutinized.

Smuttynose
09-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Sam is a regular starter for San Jose now. He has yet to score, though. Maybe he'll pick a goal off TFC in next week's game...much like Robbo, and Cunningham recently did. What's with these ex players all getting revenge lately?

don't forget julius james...

BeerBaron95
09-17-2010, 03:37 PM
I have a hard time seeing DeRo as a good captain when he's sitting on the ground crying because he couldn't draw a foul on someone, or waving his arms and yelling because someone didn't pass to him.

^^ THIS.

^^ AND THIS.

Pookie
09-17-2010, 04:21 PM
deVos wan't speaking about skill level, he was speaking about LEADERSHIP...Robbo was the leader in the dressing room and continually held people accountable...

I'd buy that sentiment except that this team was shit with Robinson in the room (and on the pitch) too. If Robinson did hold people accountable, I'll bet that it was only his share of the room that people often speak of (US vs Canada divide).

I'll always remember Cronin for coming out to face the cameras after the 5-0 NY "game" last year... along with Edwards. Brennan was no where to be found and I don't recall DeRosario or JDG taking an active role in front of the cameras. That always struck me as telling.

Fushida
09-17-2010, 04:28 PM

For real? I was a huge Cronin fan and was pissed when he got the shaft this year for a joker like Saric. Of course I had little insight on the guy's leadership, but if THIS is true... god damn.

DichioTFC
09-17-2010, 04:35 PM
I never thought that DeRo should be the captain. It's like making Eto'o the captain of Cameroon, sure he's the best player, but the personal management aspect of a captain isn't necessarily there.

I've seen DeRo get visibly frustrated after a broken play. How is that professional? How does that inspire confidence in his teammates? How is that emblematic of a *captain*?

DeRo is a great player, we're lucky to have him. But he's not captain material.

Another obscure reference: Do any wrestling fans remember when Kevin Nash became the booker of WCW? The guy with the closest linkages to management used his power and influence to his advantage, but not necessarily to the advantage of the company or the end product. In the end, the product suffered, the fans left, and the company went out of business. I can see two of three of those results happening here, only because MLSE has the Maple Leafs.

DichioTFC
For real? I was a huge Cronin fan and was pissed when he got the shaft this year for a joker like Saric. Of course I had little insight on the guy's leadership, but if THIS is true... god damn.

^ Totally this.

Blizzard

That's right. To even contemplate moving out two fine players because they don't possess the intangibles to be a "leader" as such is foolish. DeVos was not saying drop these two, he was saying that we have to look elsewhere for a team leader.

habstfc
09-17-2010, 04:38 PM
I didn't hear devos comments, but in what context were they used? To be fair to dero and jdg he simply might have meant they aren't the rah-rah guys tfc needs in the dressing room to get the team fired up. I don't think he's in any way saying they are bad seeds, just bad leaders, there's a difference.

jloome
09-17-2010, 04:49 PM
I didn't hear devos comments, but in what context were they used? To be fair to dero and jdg he simply might have meant they aren't the rah-rah guys tfc needs in the dressing room to get the team fired up. I don't think he's in any way saying they are bad seeds, just bad leaders, there's a difference.

That's how I took it.

Pookie
09-17-2010, 05:23 PM

There may be a difference if they were just one of 11 guys out there. All players don't necessarily need to be leaders.

That said, there is a smelly aspect to it if your highest paid player is a bad leader. If he is not seen to be a proactive character acting on behalf of the good of the team, resentment quickly builds.

Even if you don't buy that, if your Captain is a "bad leader", that surely is a negative thing. This can't continue.

Do you think he'd be willing to give up the leadership position or would his ego be too big for that?

TFC Cityboy
09-17-2010, 05:58 PM
is there a link to the interview with Jason DeVos? I checked the fotty blog and no luck...love to hear what Jason had to say.
Thanks

v00d00daddy
09-17-2010, 06:10 PM
That's right. To even contemplate moving out two fine players because they don't possess the intangibles to be a "leader" as such is foolish. DeVos was not saying drop these two, he was saying that we have to look elsewhere for a team leader.

I got it that way too.

The question for me becomes:

If DeRo and JDG are not leaders or captain material, how does TFC go about naming a captain that they'll both listen to and respect?

Personally I think DeRo thinks he absolutely is the leader of this team and captain material. How do you take that idea out of his head and have him remain a contributor?

Pachuco
09-17-2010, 11:53 PM
I got it that way too.

The question for me becomes:

If DeRo and JDG are not leaders or captain material, how does TFC go about naming a captain that they'll both listen to and respect?

Personally I think DeRo thinks he absolutely is the leader of this team and captain material. How do you take that idea out of his head and have him remain a contributor?

Sign guys who will humble him. I mean, when he's competing with guys like Peterson for the role of captain, of course he's going to be on a high horse.

I can probably bet you a Rafa Marquez type guy would humbe Dero down.

I don't think anyone on this team right now is captain material though and it probably wouldn't be good if you took Dero'd captaincy to give it to someone else that's already on this team.

ag futbol
09-18-2010, 09:29 AM
DeVos is a smart guy, but this is a bad idea. He has no experience, and what he offers is similar to what we already have on staff.

We need someone who can scout MLS feeders. Long run we want the youth academy to pump out better talent. Right now, as much as we give them credit they aren't doing a better job of producing talent than anyone else in MLS.

Anselmi is getting way ahead of himself talking about Daso, Cochrane, and Brennan in the future. This club already reeks of nepotism and it's only been 4 years.

J .
09-18-2010, 10:27 AM
I'd buy that sentiment except that this team was shit with Robinson in the room (and on the pitch) too. If Robinson did hold people accountable, I'll bet that it was only his share of the room that people often speak of (US vs Canada divide).

I'll always remember Cronin for coming out to face the cameras after the 5-0 NY "game" last year... along with Edwards. Brennan was no where to be found and I don't recall DeRosario or JDG taking an active role in front of the cameras. That always struck me as telling.

+1...

sampace
09-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Whether Holger is coaching Australia or not, bring Holger Osieck back. He is exactly what this team needs, or perhaps the young coach for the German Team a few years ago who was let go...name escapes my mind right now.

Yohan
09-18-2010, 11:14 PM
I've been railing about importance of leadership in locker room for years...

I'd take a good team captain over DeRo's goals. But that's just me

DeRo sure does look good when only other candidate for captain is Nick Garcia. Not that I'm questioning Garcia's leadership ability, but a captain has to be decent player before being the captain

Yohan
09-18-2010, 11:22 PM
I've been railing about importance of leadership in locker room for years...

I'd take a good team captain over DeRo's goals. But that's just me

DeRo sure does look good when only other candidate for captain is Nick Garcia. Not that I'm questioning Garcia's leadership ability, but a captain has to be decent player before being the captain