PDA

View Full Version : Dasovic Approval Rating

Steve
09-16-2010, 11:27 AM
So, how do you feel about Dasovic so far and the job he's done as head coach this season? My thoughts with him as head coach:

We've averaged 4 goals against (obviously he's not good defensively)

We've been a man down in every game (discipline much?)

We have 0 wins at home

We have 0 wins on the road

We have 0 goals for in the second half (obviously we're fading at the end)

I don't know about you guys, but I think I've had about enough of this guy as our head coach.

mike_bouma
09-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Full of fail.

Oldtimer
10-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Thread reopened, now that Daso has several games under his belt.

ArmenJBX
10-10-2010, 03:58 PM
I pray he's not the coach next year. It's very obvious that, if Preki was too hard on them, than Dasovic is waaaaaay too easy.

We need a real coach and a real GM. If we don't have those by the end of the season, we've already failed.

Alixir
10-10-2010, 04:00 PM
terrible

Shakes McQueen
10-10-2010, 04:01 PM
I think we were better with Preki, but I'm hard pressed to explicitly "disapprove" of the job Daso has done, as he wasn't exactly thrust into a great position - taking over a disgruntled team whose playoff hopes were already bleak.

I'm starting to think there might be a few inmates over there running the asylum. Unfortunately these suspicions will likely never be confirmed, as the front office has no currency with the fans at this point, and the only hush-hush "sources" we have seem to ultimately come back to the players themselves (who obviously won't see it that way).

The players got what they apparently wanted in the removal of Preki, and they've responded to that by acting more entitled than ever, and playing shittier than ever.

It's time for a cultural upheaval in that locker room, and if that means the next GM/President largely needs to clear house, then so be it.

Bringing it back to Dasovic - I don't "approve" of the job he has done obviously, but I'm hesitant to hang this boat anchor around his neck. He hasn't shown me that he will be any better leading this team than the previous four guys. Just another poor guy shambling towards the gallows, because the players decide they don't want to play for him.

- Scott

TFC07
10-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Can't judge Dasovic based on results. It's not his fault this team lacks talent and heart.

Based on tactics though, I like Dasovic. He seems to know what formation to go with and how to use subs on game to game basis (for most part at least).

But that being said, TFC needs to hire proven (experience) coach who has been successful (when I mean successful, I mean as managing championship teams in the past). TFC can’t afford to hire a rookie coach. I just hope Dasoivc understands this and accept his new role next season.

DichioTFC
10-10-2010, 04:43 PM
I was going to create this thread at the end of the season. There's just too many variables with which we can judge this man right now. A lot of the failures that he can be blamed for can be attributed to other factors. I voted No because of the absence of evidence that he's worthy of the long-term position.

I actually vote for this thread to be closed again, to be revisited at the end of the season. There's no basis for this thread to be reopened prematurely immediately after a loss, in the middle of a month, with the season literally a couple weeks away from completion.

ensco
10-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Warning: if MLSE gets any hint that they can get away with it, they will battlefield promote Cochrane and Daso.

TFC/Everton
10-10-2010, 05:42 PM
I dont think we can blame him for the state of the team. We were on a downward spiral before he took over. Although, I hope he is not our head coach next year. We need someone with experience winning. Not the time for a young rookie coach.

v00d00daddy
10-10-2010, 06:04 PM
I actually vote for this thread to be closed again, to be revisited at the end of the season. There's no basis for this thread to be reopened prematurely immediately after a loss, in the middle of a month, with the season literally a couple weeks away from completion.

I thought that way too, at first. Then I figured that we might as well talk about it now since every game for the rest of the season is absolutely meaningless.

I actually feel bad for Daso. The team is bad. Just how bad they are has been shown in the last few games.

I know we had very little chance of making the playoffs when Preki was fired but I can't believe how bad we really are.

Sorry...but Daso improved on nothing. We looked less like a cohesive team than any other time this year...including that shitty DC game that spelled Preki's end.

He was dealt a difficult hand but it doesn't change the fact that Daso is not the guy to lead this team.

Beach_Red
10-10-2010, 06:30 PM
It's time for a cultural upheaval in that locker room, and if that means the next GM/President largely needs to clear house, then so be it.

Well that could be the key right there. TFC hasn't had a president yet, it's just had a Vice President (and that was only for the third season) and there hasn't been any mention of looking for a president, just a GM and coach.

jloome
10-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Not attempting to short circuit this particular debate, but every one of these questions from now on should be framed by another one: do we have players who just aren't good enough making it impossible for the team to perform at a high level?

I think our generally weak roster is dragging down any quality we do have, and probably demoralizing them all to hell. That, in turn, has contributed to an overall poor season, and the players who know their skill (and, more importantly, existing contracts) guarantee that they'll be back next year have consequently quit playing as well.

I don't think Bob Paisley or Alex Ferguson could command that room right now.:(

jloome
10-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Can't judge Dasovic based on results. It's not his fault this team lacks talent and heart.

Based on tactics though, I like Dasovic. He seems to know what formation to go with and how to use subs on game to game basis (for most part at least).

But that being said, TFC needs to hire proven (experience) coach who has been successful (when I mean successful, I mean as managing championship teams in the past). TFC can’t afford to hire a rookie coach. I just hope Dasoivc understands this and accept his new role next season.

Yeah, that's more succint.

Shakes McQueen
10-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Not attempting to short circuit this particular debate, but every one of these questions from now on should be framed by another one: do we have players who just aren't good enough making it impossible for the team to perform at a high level?

I think our generally weak roster is dragging down any quality we do have, and probably demoralizing them all to hell. That, in turn, has contributed to an overall poor season, and the players who know their skill (and, more importantly, existing contracts) guarantee that they'll be back next year have consequently quit playing as well.

I absolutely think this is probably true as well. Right now I could only honestly advocate keeping 3-4 players.

- Scott

MFG1
10-10-2010, 07:09 PM
He's not a coach, perhaps an assistant, thats obvious and a coach cant be every players "friend".

Roogsy
10-10-2010, 08:31 PM
I feel for Daso because he's trying to make chicken salad out chicken shit. The bullshit roster Mo and Preki built is useless and Daso is trying to open up the game with players that can't handle it.

He should have done small modifications to Preki's system so that at the very least we're not being blown away out there. Instead, he's changed the philosophy of the team completely weeks before the season is about to end. I don't think these last few weeks are a proper look at Daso's ability as coach, but I think he was trying to do too much when time had already run out.

denime
10-10-2010, 09:01 PM
I feel for Daso because he's trying to make chicken salad out chicken shit. The bullshit roster Mo and Preki built is useless and Daso is trying to open up the game with players that can't handle it.

He should have done small modifications to Preki's system so that at the very least we're not being blown away out there. Instead, he's changed the philosophy of the team completely weeks before the season is about to end. I don't think these last few weeks are a proper look at Daso's ability as coach, but I think he was trying to do too much when time had already run out.

So true,however he should know by the time he took over that all he has was chicken shit.

London
10-11-2010, 06:41 AM
whats he done to earn a headcoach position???

nothing that i can see???

Pookie
10-11-2010, 06:57 AM

Hold on now.

According to the players, a change in philosophy and tactics were EXACTLY what was needed. Dasovic has tried to deliver what he was told was necessary.

Why else fire a coach with 6 games remaining (unless it corresponds to your season ticket renewals)?

According to JDG, ""When Preki was here, to be honest, there wasn't really any system ... That was the major thing missing in the training and preparation for the game. There was nothing to work with."

According to DeRosario, "“[Preki] definitely said he was going to run a tight ship and I don’t think a lot of players adapted to how tight the ship was actually run,” said De Rosario. “So Nick obviously wants to loosen it up a little bit and let guys enjoy the play and I think guys will definitely respond to the way he wants them to play."

Apparently, this decision which had nothing to do with a player revolt (supposedly) was endorsed from day 1:

“He’s been a great piece to the puzzle and he’s the type of guy that brings good vibrations to the change room and to the pitch as well,” said de Guzman.

“To have him on the team I think is a good thing for what we want with this club and making the playoffs, and Nick being that player manager is a good decision.”

I'm 50/50 on him. He tried to deliver what he was asked to do.

I guess in the end, I do agree with you. The roster that Mo and Preki built, including these 2 goofs, is chicken shit.

(exceptions being Frei, Attakora, Cann, Gargan and Barrett)

Menelaos
10-11-2010, 08:40 AM
whats he done to earn a headcoach position???

nothing that i can see???

^ that.

He was given the job until we find a real coach, nothing more and nothing less.

Roogsy
10-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Hold on now.

According to the players, a change in philosophy and tactics were EXACTLY what was needed. Dasovic has tried to deliver what he was told was necessary.

Why else fire a coach with 6 games remaining (unless it corresponds to your season ticket renewals)?

The change in philosophy that the players were talking about may be a different one than the one we are talking about. He had lost the players in the locker room, running them into the ground over the course of the season (something Rooney warned about at the beginning of the year BTW). My sources tell me Preki never worked on tactics, it was all running, running, running. And the only tactics he did work on was instilling a sense of defence first without a solution to move the ball forward. That's why the players never knew what to do when attacking and why we couldn't score goals this year.

Not to mention Preki's personality which is legendary. He simply does not get along well with people and when he clashes with them, it's nuclear. That is probably what happened with Daso. The truth is there is few people within the organization that are sad to see him go. So the "change" the players are talking about is the atmosphere itself.

The philosophy we are talking about here on this board is solely about the philosophy of tactics and strategy. Not about the environment in the locker room. Therefore it isn't the same issue as what the players referred to.

Why was he fired? Because he gave no one a choice. Blowing up with players and blowing up with assistants (and not endearing himself to ownership either BTW) is what led to his firing. Had he not done that, even with his pathetic record, I think he would have stayed on until the end of the year.

v00d00daddy
10-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Preki knew what he had with this team as soon as he arrived. we haven't looked shitty the last few games because of the players he brought in. on the contrary....all our players now look worse. from frei to Barrett.

how do we explain that.

prekis laughing his ass off right now.

preki was closer to getting chicken salad out of chicken shit than daso...that's for sure

Roogsy
10-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Preki knew what he had with this team because he changed the team to what we have now.

The fact that Preki prefers to work with shit players is not a good thing. I thought we are trying to win meaningful something here?

CoachGT
10-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Preki's philosophy was to put as many men behind the ball as possible. It made the defence look better than it is, but that really comes down to Frei. Defensively, we've sucked all year, but Frei has been there to bail things out. We've given up more shots at goal than anyone else. We've given up more shots on goal. We've given up more offsides. We've made more fouls and have many more cards than anyone else. That all speaks to a team that has difficulty defensively.

Now, we're trying to show that we have some offensive spark, playing a style that is more comparable to other teams in the league. We've got less than 6 games for the coach to impose a style and try to make it work. What have we seen? The defence exposed for what it truly is. And that we can score and generate chances.

Nothing says Daso is the guy. Nothing says he isn't, either. He's got to work with what we have. Cann and Attakora are good, but they are still learning in this league. Usanov and Hscanovics are what we've seen - fringe players. Harden and Garcia have played okay this year (Garcia has moved from cannon fodder to being average, a huge step in the right direction, but he's still too slow at this level). This team was built by two other people, Preki having the greatest influence on the current team. My guess is that Daso would probably wish for other players (perhaps even the guys that we finished the year with last year) but that isn't going to happen.

He is trying to make chicken salad, but all he's got are the ingredients for tripe, ingredients someone else brought in.

menefreghista
10-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Preki needed to be fired. Dasovic's performance after the firing is irrelevant to that matter. But I do find it funny that there are people who wish he was still here. Preki drove our team into the ground and to make matters worse our club has less talent because we allowed him to make player decisions. Of course this all goes back to the stupid decision by MLSE to keep Mo Johnston one more season. That's why I think guys like Tom Anselmi deserve more blame for the state of our club than Mo, Preki, the players etc.

As for Dasovic's performance: I don't think he deserves to be head coach next season. He's not ready yet. But if the new regime wants to keep him on as an assistant I would not have any problems with that.

v00d00daddy
10-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Hate on Preki all you want guys but when your two best players (arguably) don't want to play for you you're doomed.

And to those of you who think we're now playing offensivlely?

Hahaha..seriously guys. I've never said this before but there are some people around here who have NO IDEA what soccer is supposed to look like.

We were playing "prekiball" early in the year because we HAD TO. It was the only chance we had at getting results. When we try to play "offensively" we fail miserably.

That is due to both having shit players (for all four years) and because of the overall philosopy at this club since day one.

Look at the post game video of Preki way back when we were doing well early on in the season. He was happy with the effort but still pissed about the fact that the players were reverting to hoofing the ball around the field instead of keeping possession.

The guy was not a tactical genius but he knew when his players were making shitty decisions going forward.

We don't keep possession of the ball. It's just not part of the makeup of this club. From the former GM, to all our coaches (except Preki), to the players and right down to the supporters.

Here's a very generic example

Player A (lets say Chad Barrett) gets the ball near the midway line. His first touch is shit and the ball bounces up his leg but he manages to wrestle the ball down and control it (somewhat) for a split second. His next decision is to play it 25 yards up field to nobody.

Now is where the problem lies....

Now Chad Barrett gets frustrated and runs down the shitty ball he just sent upfield and closes down on the defender who has just collected the ball. Chad slides and kicks the ball in to touch.

What is the collective thought on this?

Simple...the crowd cheers and the supporters talk about it the next day on the boards, citing how hard he works.

This is a microcosm of everything that is wrong with this club.

Rather than point out that he's a piece of garbage most of the time and has the touch of CSL goalie, we'd rather praise him for his effort.

It's fucking brutal.

Dasovic has shown that he is not going to try and curb this behaviour. He's much happier letting the guys do what they want and hope for the best.

This team is royally fucked.

I've seen posts where people want us to build around the following:

DeRo
JDG
Barrett
Cann
Attakora
Frei

Sorry but if those are our lynchpins we will never be a good team. Doesn't matter who's coaching.

Those guys, surrounded by other bit players is a recipe for failure.

Daso stands no chance. Sir Alex couldn't build a team around those guys.

When we need to rely on Barrett to be our prime scoring striker and DeRo to be our midfield attacker/distributor...we're fucked.

This team needs so many pieces.

The first would be a real coach and gm.

Daso aint it.

DoubleUp
10-11-2010, 10:52 AM
I see Toronto's play at times as "trying to punch through a brick wall" there is no poise especially where it matters "upfront" our attackers always have their his head down in the final third and don't properly analyze their options, opting to lash at the ball in blind hope. Next season I would rather see Maicon play Attacking mid with dero & barrett in front of him his decision making is the best out of all 3. Oh yeah! Daso is not ready!!!!!! WE want quality.

Roogsy
10-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Hate on Preki all you want guys but when your two best players (arguably) don't want to play for you you're doomed.

You've made this argument before and it just falls flat in the face of evidence. Your claim is that players did not want to play for the coach which is why the team was failing but your fail to acknowledge the very real possibility that despite not liking their coach they were still playing as hard as they could and the real problem was the tactics. That could not be it right? Nah...forget DeRo and his 10 goals before Preki left, (like that is real evidence of him "not playing" for his coach) you don't think JDG wants to get out of here badly and back to Europe? And the quickest way is to underplay? You're mad.

denime
10-11-2010, 11:45 AM
You've made this argument before and it just falls flat in the face of evidence. Your claim is that players did not want to play for the coach which is why the team was failing but your fail to acknowledge the very real possibility that despite not liking their coach they were still playing as hard as they could and the real problem was the tactics. That could not be it right? Nah...forget DeRo and his 10 goals before Preki left, (like that is real evidence of him "not playing" for his coach) you don't think JDG wants to get out of here badly and back to Europe? And the quickest way is to underplay? You're mad.

Roogsy let's face it there is a recorded history of DeRo and JDG not wanting to play for certain coach and doing whatever they can to send him packing.D.Mitchel ring a bell,or in the 90' they were a ringleaders of the players that compliant to CSA to get rid of Holger Osciek,only coach that was able to win something with our pathetic CMNT.Coach who was setting standards similar to the rest of the world ,discipline, players code of conduct,but that was to much for our superstars.Apparently Osciek was making them run to much,go figure soccer and running :facepalm:

So sometimes I wonder who the f*&k they think they are,DeRonaldinho and JDGerard.

We should put both of them on unprotected list and see if Portland or Vancouver will pick them up.Yeah I know DP can't go on that list but just for fun I would do that.

Roogsy
10-11-2010, 11:58 AM
This is not a DeRo/JDG thread. This is a Daso thread. And my argument is that Daso is playing with Preki's poorly built team and Voodoo's argument is that Preki never had a chance because DeRo and JDG refused to play for him. Now whether those two players played politics behind the scene to get him fired I don't know, but it's irrelevant. But to blame their play on the field as the reason he was fired is silly. Preki was fired for three reasons. 1) His poor record 2) His unattractive brand of football and 3) He lost the respect of both coaches and players. Blaming DeRo and JDG is simply looking for a scapegoat. As for what to do with these two players going forward, I will leave that discussion to the many JDG and DeRo threads we already have. This thread is about coaching.

ArmenJBX
10-11-2010, 12:06 PM
I love how it's Preki's poorly built team all of a sudden.

Half the players here are Mo's.

The rest are Preki's. Who did Preki bring in? Dan Gargan, Adrian Cann, Nick LaBrocca, Maicon Santos, and a bunch of fringe players who don't even start.

I've always said that if Preki was an artist he was fired because the sketch he drew wasn't a work of art. This season was to establish a strong defense to not leak goals. I'm sure the next season and the next transfer window was his time to buy some solid wingers and a striker or two, and work on the offense. You have to start somewhere, and he chose to start with the defense, which was our biggest problem last season. (Last 15 minutes were the most stressful against every single team in the league.)

De Rosario and de Guzman have done a lot for Toronto FC's image.
De Rosario is a great player to have.
Julian de Guzman...is debatable.

But, both need to realize they are not bigger than the club. A little bit of humility would go a long way for them. You're only running? Keep running. That's what your boss told you to do. You run. And you run and you run and you run until you see that by running you get stamina and speed and whatnot. Then when you've mastered that, you can start the tactical process.

Team Japan spent hours just running. They'd spend weeks doing nothing but laps, in preparation for the world cup. And look what that gave them. They looked incredible out there. Once you establish fitness and hard working defense, you're forward line can be built on a solid base.

Roogsy
10-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Are you claiming Team Japan did no work on tactics?

As for the players who were not happy with only running...is there any evidence that they stopped running and didn't do as the coach asked? That is the only way this point can be relevant in any way. The claim here is only that in their opinion, more work needed to be done on strategy and tactics. The evidence seems to suggest they were right.

ArmenJBX
10-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Of course they did.

They supplemented fitness with tactics, over a long period of time.

They hit a long losing streak, so the coach went back to basics, made them run and run and run until they became fitter and faster. Once he established a strong running team (which ultimately leads to faster, fitter defenders, and players tracking back to defend) he worked on attack. He didn't put 11 defenders on the field, their were clearly strong offensive players in Honda and Matsui, to name but a few. But, they were all running first and foremost.

I could be the best fucking tactician in the world but if I'm working with a bunch of Collin Samuels, it will come to nothing :D

Our players look fit this year. Notice how they don't tire out in the last 15 like last year. I don't see any signs that we have an out of shape squad.

Right now, it's like the fat kid becoming skinny and then rationalizing that he can eat like he did before, because he's thin now. Dasovic is that fat kids double cheeseburger with bacon. The squad learned how to run and how to track back, but they think that, now that they got it down, they can revert back to their old habits, of not tracking back, being more tactical in training and less physical. You have to maintain it. Otherwise we're going to be year 2 nonsense again, players unable to run back or unwilling to run back.

Roogsy
10-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Of course they did.

They supplemented fitness with tactics, over a long period of time.

Then your comparison does not apply. Nobody is claiming a soccer team should not run and nowhere has it ever been claimed that players felt running was bad and not necessary. But I would find it hard to believe any of us would agree that "running" would solve an extended inability to score. And that is what the players had a problem with. Not to mention, the accusation at the beginning of the year by many was that Preki would run his team into the ground and that come crunch time, they would be too hurt or too tired to come through. And that is exactly what happened.

Darlofletch
10-11-2010, 12:22 PM
I think it would be harsh to judge dasovic at all on the few games he's had. my biggest fear after the preki firing was that the team would go on a bit of a roll and that would be used as justification for dasovic getting the job permanently. by the same method, it would be unfair to use these games where we've played poorly to say he's shit.

should he be head coach next year, good god I hope they don't do that, should he be back to assistant coach? sure if the new guys want to keep him I'd be fine with that.

Darlofletch
10-11-2010, 12:27 PM

The rest are Preki's. Who did Preki bring in? Dan Gargan, Adrian Cann, Nick LaBrocca, Maicon Santos, and a bunch of fringe players who don't even start.

I've always said that if Preki was an artist he was fired because the sketch he drew wasn't a work of art. This season was to establish a strong defense to not leak goals. I'm sure the next season and the next transfer window was his time to buy some solid wingers and a striker or two, and work on the offense. You have to start somewhere, and he chose to start with the defense, which was our biggest problem last season. (Last 15 minutes were the most stressful against every single team in the league.)

De Rosario and de Guzman have done a lot for Toronto FC's image.
De Rosario is a great player to have.
Julian de Guzman...is debatable.

But, both need to realize they are not bigger than the club. A little bit of humility would go a long way for them. You're only running? Keep running. That's what your boss told you to do. You run. And you run and you run and you run until you see that by running you get stamina and speed and whatnot. Then when you've mastered that, you can start the tactical process.

Team Japan spent hours just running. They'd spend weeks doing nothing but laps, in preparation for the world cup. And look what that gave them. They looked incredible out there. Once you establish fitness and hard working defense, you're forward line can be built on a solid base.

The bolded part is exactly it. does anyone think that tfc in august was the pinnacle of preki's vision? that that's all he had? whether he'd have been successful in opening things up a bit and introducing more skillful players, I guess we'll never know, but it would be nice to think we're a club that gives a coach a chance.

having said that, at the chivas game on saturday, I spoke with a suporter who was asking about preki. when I asked if chivas were happy to see him fired, he said oh yeah, and gave a gesture that I'll politely interpret as "fuck that guy". so maybe we dodged a long term bullet, who knows?

that same supporter does now want to fire their new coach as well, so we're not the only impatient ones.

Oldtimer
10-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Daso is not responsible for this crap squad, Preki and Mo are.

However, any competent coach knows what players they have and build a system around that.

Daso should know better than to think that this squad could play a flowing attacking game, and if he had any doubts, one game should have shown him.

The fact that he hasn't adjusted his tactics to the squad available but insists on playing things as if he had a different group of players shows up his lack of experience.

Daso might eventually become a good coach, but he needs some experience under a decent head coach to develop that tactical acumen. He just not good enough yet, and two more disasters of games are not needed to show me that he isn't our solution. We need a proven coach.

ArmenJBX
10-11-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm not saying Dasovic is a bad coach, I'm saying he shouldn't even BE the coach.

The only reason he has the job is because De Rosario and de Guzman wanted a buddy to be their coach, so they don't have to work as hard.

It now shows in games. We're lazier and slower and we don't play as well.

JuliquE
10-11-2010, 01:03 PM

This has been mentioned all up and down this forum.. followed by the claim that Preki only likes low calibre players, of whom he can run into the ground.

Somehow, most everyone making this point fail to mention a very pertinent fact:

due to Mo's many massive/long contracts, Preki didn't have much leverage as far as getting what players he would want is concerned.

Mo is more responsible for this squad, then Preki is. These are the players that Preki had to resort to, whether you believe it's what he wanted or not -- unfair to view this squad as proof, otherwise.

::EdiT::

I tend to agree with TFC07 & Shakes, on the subject of this thread (voted "no," for the record).

Tschüss

TFC07
10-11-2010, 01:21 PM

Cann was Mo signing I believe. BTW, he (Perki) overpaid those two Eastern European players he bought in and now we are stuck with them next season as well. Point is: he made this team worse by getting rid of quality players in return for garbage players. TFC got lucky with Santos though.

Roogsy
10-11-2010, 02:31 PM
The only reason he has the job is because De Rosario and de Guzman wanted a buddy to be their coach, so they don't have to work as hard.

I love how this has become fact without any evidence whatsoever.

denime
10-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Cann was Mo signing I believe. BTW, he (Perki) overpaid those two Eastern European players he bought in and now we are stuck with them next season as well. Point is: he made this team worse by getting rid of quality players in return for garbage players. TFC got lucky with Santos though..

YOU ARE WRONG IN ALL THREE CASES.

Cann was in training camp and it was up to Preki to get him or not.

Uasnov and Hscanovics,both of them were MO signings.They were coached at Skonto Riga by Paul Ashworth MO's buddy.

and funny how Preki's signing Santos is TFC being lucky,when we all know he sign him last year fro Chivas too and it was Preki who sign him same day he was put on waivers.

jazzy
10-11-2010, 03:32 PM

^finally unbiased sense...Moe left a Shite team with those who probably deserve more not getting what, some lazy asses are.....fostering bad bad vibes, unfortunately...etc,....what do you expect all of a sudden the team gelling and winning all their games........that just promotes MLSE to continue pandering to the short term whimsy of short sighted fans....isn't this how we ended up with JDG.....quick fix without a long term strategy. sound familiar Toronto...people who know more than I do in soccer have spoken highly of Daso

Oldtimer
10-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Mo is more responsible for this squad, then Preki is. These are the players that Preki had to resort to, whether you believe it's what he wanted or not -- unfair to view this squad as proof, otherwise.

I never denied that Mo is more responsible than Preki, he certainly is.

I conceded in Daso's defense that he didn't choose the players (people often point this out). However, I point out that that's a weak defense because he is not playing them according to their ability.

My main point is nothing to do with Preki, it's that Daso's not quite ready tactically to be Toronto's head coach.

Blizzard
10-11-2010, 03:39 PM

YOU ARE WRONG IN ALL THREE CASES.

Cann was in training camp and it was up to Preki to get him or not.

Uasnov and Hscanovics,both of them were MO signings.They were coached at Skonto Riga by Paul Ashworth MO's buddy.

and funny how Preki's signing Santos is TFC being lucky,when we all know he sign him last year fro Chivas too and it was Preki who sign him same day he was put on waivers.

One and Two are more gray than that.

Re Cann, Mo brought him to camp. It was still up to Preki to keep him or not but prior to camp, Preki didn't have a clue about Adrian Cann but ya, ok, if Preki hadn't kept him, he'd be gone so they can share credit. Mo brought him in and Preki didn't cut him.

In regards to Hscanovics and Usanov, Preki chose to keep them. If Preki had not chosen to keep them on the side, Mo wouldn't have signed them. Johnston allowed Preki to make those calls .... as he should have done. If Mo hadn't allowed Preki to make those calls, he would have been crucified for not allowing his new coach to build the team he wanted to coach.

3. Totally correct. Preki was the connection with Santos and he knew he was a player with potential to do a good job in Toronto. If not for that knee injury just as he was fitting in beautifully to the squad, things could have been very different.

Sullivan
10-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Good coach, but not a manager,... yet.

Dasovic has been with the club since May 2008.
Anything that a manager would need to know about this roster he would know, no excuses. If the man's smart, he's demonstrating that he's loyal to the club, filling in but ready to return to an assistant's role under the next manager, if at all possible.

His tactics do reflect his style, and they provided the current roster with an opportunity to show something else.....

If Dasovic earns the Manager's position, TFC is no further ahead, and the dysfunction of MLSE is greater than any collective could have thought.

Carts
10-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I didn't vote - far too early for me to have an opinion just yet...

Tough spot for him to be in - he became the captain of a sinking ship and is now at the head of the boat as its almost hit the bottom of the ocean...

Carts...

v00d00daddy
10-11-2010, 05:24 PM
This is not a DeRo/JDG thread. This is a Daso thread. And my argument is that Daso is playing with Preki's poorly built team and Voodoo's argument is that Preki never had a chance because DeRo and JDG refused to play for him. Now whether those two players played politics behind the scene to get him fired I don't know, but it's irrelevant. But to blame their play on the field as the reason he was fired is silly. Preki was fired for three reasons. 1) His poor record 2) His unattractive brand of football and 3) He lost the respect of both coaches and players. Blaming DeRo and JDG is simply looking for a scapegoat. As for what to do with these two players going forward, I will leave that discussion to the many JDG and DeRo threads we already have. This thread is about coaching.

1. His record WAS poor. That I can't argue with. Poor enough to justify firing him 3/4 of the way through the season? I don't think so, but I can understand those who do.

2. His unattractive brand of football was working at the start of the year and would have been just find had we continued to get results. Also, there are people (like me) who think that losing by conceding 3 and 4 goals is just as unattractive..regardless of how much we score. This is totally subjective.

3. He lost respect from the COACHES? Wha? He is the coach. The head fucking coach. If his SUBORDINATES don't respect him THEY should have been fired. As for the players losing respect...meh...what the fuck do they know. JDG and DeRo losing respect for him and then behaving the way they have shows that he was right to question having them on this team in the first place. 12 goals be damned.

However, any competent coach knows what players they have and build a system around that.

Daso should know better than to think that this squad could play a flowing attacking game, and if he had any doubts, one game should have shown him.

This crap squad was getting results at the start of the year. If you really think that we went for a shit because everyone figured us out (as has been suggested around here before) then I have to disagree. Preki wanted to play a system that required EVERYONE to buy in. It was obvious that at some point the players stopped buying in. Some more than others. The minute they stopped buying in we were doomed.

I love how this has become fact without any evidence whatsoever.

It hasn't become fact. It has become an idea that some people think has merit. Nothing more. There is more than enough evidence to suggest that DeRo and JDG would prefer to have Daso at the helm. Not the least of which is that they played together for the CMNT.

You say that my theory that they stopped playing for Preki "falls flat in the face of evidence"....what a fucking joke.

You refuse to see evidence that is contrary to your belief.

I remind you that DeRo went for a shit for the better part of 6 weeks in the middle of the season and you blame Preki's tactics for DeRo's poor play.

I'm done giving you "evidence" because you gloss over it to back up your buddy DeRo.

ArmenJBX
10-11-2010, 05:47 PM
By choosing time and time again to play Dan Gargan and Nick Garcia instead of Usanov and Hscanovics, I think Preki has shown that he never really wanted them, and that he just had them as backups anyways.

Beach_Red
10-11-2010, 06:35 PM
3. He lost respect from the COACHES? Wha? He is the coach. The head fucking coach. If his SUBORDINATES don't respect him THEY should have been fired. As for the players losing respect...meh...what the fuck do they know. JDG and DeRo losing respect for him and then behaving the way they have shows that he was right to question having them on this team in the first place. 12 goals be damned.

The way this whole thing was handled; bringing in a coach with a known track record and a known style, signing him to a two year contract and then firing him halfway through the first year for doing exactly what he said he would do is very troubling as a sign for how the execs further up are running this team.

Or really, it's a sign that no one is actually running the team. How does the chain of command work here?

So discussing who should be coach, or even GM, without any idea who will actually be running the team is pointless.

Wull
10-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Voted no but I'll pick him every time over preki

Roogsy
10-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm done giving you "evidence" because you gloss over it to back up your buddy DeRo.

As far as I can tell, your "evidence" consists of DeRo not scoring for 6 weeks? If that is your "evidence", forgive me if I'm not stupid enough to believe that's all it takes to get a coach fired. I don't know what other evidence was presented. I am hoping it's something with a little more evidential value.

As far as I am concerned, I would assume most reasonable people would take the 3 points I cited as a real indication of why Preki was fired as opposed to DeRo having a bad streak.

ArmenJBX
10-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Preki was fired because De Rosario was on a "bad streak", coinciding with the fact that he didn't want him there. Now that he's gone, De Rosario has started scoring again and has also asked for more money.

Could it be possible De Rosario held back in order to get Preki fired, and subsequently Mo fired, which would open up a new path to a contract renegotiation?

Wull
10-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Preki was fired because De Rosario was on a "bad streak", coinciding with the fact that he didn't want him there. Now that he's gone, De Rosario has started scoring again and has also asked for more money.

Could it be possible De Rosario held back in order to get Preki fired, and subsequently Mo fired, which would open up a new path to a contract renegotiation?

Or could it be that we have a more attacking system whereby our opponents don't simply have to double up on DeRo to stop us? I'm sure preki blew his load when he saw the Scotland team last week without a single forward in the starting 11

rocker
10-11-2010, 09:21 PM
I haven't seen anything from Daso to make me want to have him back as head coach.

In my eyes, the team has looked worse since he took over.

I don't care if it's not "his players". We've seen 2 coaches deal with this group of players and Daso has gotten less out of the team than Preki did.

Anyhow, Daso has been with this team longer than Preki was with this team. So he must have done some sort of coaching work with the players even under Preki and Cummins. He would know every single player very well. This isn't a case of a new coach coming in not knowing the guys. He knows the strengths and weaknesses of each. And the team's looked worse to me. Thus he must be forcing a style that doesn't fit these players, even though he knows the players' weaknesses.

We don't need any more "learning on the job" head coaches (Mo, Carver, Cummins).

Roogsy
10-11-2010, 09:49 PM

Seriously Jimmy...at some point you have to take the tinfoil hat off. You don't think if DeRo had that kind of power, to get not only the coach but the GM fired, that he wouldn't also have enough sway to have this contract situation remedied without the public demonstration? At some point, you just have to accept that what is before you is the truth and that there are no boogeymen hiding in the dark.

JuliquE
10-12-2010, 02:04 AM
I never denied that Mo is more responsible than Preki, he certainly is.

I conceded in Daso's defense that he didn't choose the players (people often point this out). However, I point out that that's a weak defense because he is not playing them according to their ability.

My main point is nothing to do with Preki, it's that Daso's not quite ready tactically to be Toronto's head coach.
Fair enough. I just wanted to clarify a bit, with that being very commonly mentioned.

v00d00daddy
10-12-2010, 06:35 AM
As far as I can tell, your "evidence" consists of DeRo not scoring for 6 weeks? If that is your "evidence", forgive me if I'm not stupid enough to believe that's all it takes to get a coach fired. I don't know what other evidence was presented. I am hoping it's something with a little more evidential value.

As far as I am concerned, I would assume most reasonable people would take the 3 points I cited as a real indication of why Preki was fired as opposed to DeRo having a bad streak.

I acknowledged your reasons for Preki being fired. I even agreed with the first one.

I just don't get how/why you can't come to grips with the idea that people think that JDG and DeRo might have had something to do with Preki being fired.

Why is that so hard to believe? You said yourself that the players lost respect for him. JDG came out and said that Preki didn't employ any tactics. The guys didn't like him. It was pretty obvious.

My point is that this is a bad sign. It's not good when the players start to influence how the club is run and who is coaching it.

You make it sound like DeRo just shows up for work with his lunch pail and gives it 100% and has no other effect on this club. His recent actions prove otherwise.

Preki wasn't perfect but the way the players and supporters turned on him was sad. We were no worse than we've been in the past and the previous coaches were given way more leeway than Preki.

Even Daso is getting more respect than he did. How is that possible?

Why do you hire a guy that people (supporters included) were almost unanimous on wanting....only to fire him 20 some odd games later?

How does that happen based solely on performance. You would think that we were the worst incarnation of TFC ever..which is so far from the truth its ridiculous.

Then you not only want to gloss over the odd circumstances of the firing and dismiss it as the logical course of events, but you also ridiclule people....telling them to take off the tinfoil hat.

Seriously...you don't have to agree with people who think differently than you, but you don't have to make fun of them either.

It never fucking ends with you.

ps Say hi to DeRo for me the next time you buds are hanging out.

ArmenJBX
10-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Tinfoil hat time!

Roogsy IS De Rosario!!

Roogsy
10-12-2010, 08:22 AM
I just don't get how/why you can't come to grips with the idea that people think that JDG and DeRo might have had something to do with Preki being fired.

It's not an impossibility. But for one, from what I personally know of the situation, I know these two players did nothing behind the scenes to get him fired. So if I am missing information or there is evidence that would support this position of yours, all I have done is ask for it. I have seen none. Nothing more than observers making conclusions based on a dislike for a player. Well, that's not evidence. Saying you presented evidence is not the same as actually presenting it. Suppositions and assumptions are not evidence and that is all we've gotten from you. All I am saying is that you can easily shut me up by putting up one credible piece of evidence to support your theory but you can't even do that. All we get are creations of your imagination of what "could" have happened. Forgive me for pointing out the lack of weight those arguments hold.

The rest of your post is just obfuscation and strawman arguments. So I am done with talking about DeRo in this Daso thread. If you have something about DeRo or JDG that backs up your claim, put it up in their respective threads and I will certainly review it.

v00d00daddy
10-12-2010, 08:49 AM
It's not an impossibility. But for one, from what I personally know of the situation, I know these two players did nothing behind the scenes to get him fired. So if I am missing information or there is evidence that would support this position of yours, all I have done is ask for it. I have seen none. Nothing more than observers making conclusions based on a dislike for a player. Well, that's not evidence. Saying you presented evidence is not the same as actually presenting it. Suppositions and assumptions are not evidence and that is all we've gotten from you. All I am saying is that you can easily shut me up by putting up one credible piece of evidence to support your theory but you can't even do that. All we get are creations of your imagination of what "could" have happened. Forgive me for pointing out the lack of weight those arguments hold.

The rest of your post is just obfuscation and strawman arguments. So I am done with talking about DeRo in this Daso thread. If you have something about DeRo or JDG that backs up your claim, put it up in their respective threads and I will certainly review it.

So evidence to you is cold hard facts and nothing else?

Well then I'm sorry but if that's your standard then we all know NOTHING.

Not one damn thing.

Not even your conversations with DeRo are evidence. It's all assumptions and opinions. That's what we've got to work with.

Unless DeRo comes out and says "Hey, I didn't like Preki and did everything in my power to let the powers that be know that I wanted him gone" ....then we have no "evidence".

Gimme a break dude.

Here are some tidbits that I consider "evidence"

1. DeRo and JDG were teammates of Daso's with CMNT
2. Preki was told that he had to take on Daso (among others) when he got the coaching job.
2. DeRo and JDG had no problem complementing Preki prior to his arrival and soon after, while the team was doing well. They seemed to be okay with Preki at some point.
3. The team hit a rough spell, which coincided nicely with DeRo playing poorly for almost 2 months.
4. Preki gets fired after less than ONE season and the players apparently applaud the move.
5. DeRo musters up the balls to pull that cheque signing bullshit AFTER Preki is fired and while Daso is at the helm.
6. No repercussions for that embarrasment. NOTHING said by the head coach, DASO.
7. JDG badmouths Preki in the press about his lack of tactics, even though now, 6 games later, we look just as tatcically inept under Daso.

All of these things lead me to believe that the players, namely JDG and DeRo, have more influence at the team than they should.

It also shows that they didn't like their coach and that the guy in the wings was the perfect replacement for them.

You may not agree, but it's not some wild fantastical story as you have suggested.

btw...that is ALL evidence..it's just circumstantial in nature. This is not a court of a law, it's a court of opinion...and that's why it's valid.

As for Daso: what has he said about the DeRo cheque situation? What coach would say that little about his captain behaving in that manner?

Answer: A coach that is buddy buddy with his player.

That's a coach that I don't want. Not to mention his lack of experience.

v00d00daddy
10-12-2010, 08:52 AM
It's not an impossibility. But for one, from what I personally know of the situation, I know these two players did nothing behind the scenes to get him fired.

Just reading this again and it got me thinking.

Do you honestly believe that TFC hired a guy that most people wanted, offered him a 2 year deal.....allowed him to make a shit load of changes to the roster and then expected him to take them to the playoffs right away?

And then they go and fire him 3/4 of the way through the first season and you think its based mainly on his poor record?

Really? That makes sense to you?

You don't think there was anything else at work here?

Beach_Red
10-12-2010, 08:53 AM
My point is that this is a bad sign. It's not good when the players start to influence how the club is run and who is coaching it.

But when the players and the fans agree on something - firing the GM and the coach - that's a gift for a management that doesn't really care about the product.

It's easy to see why MLSE might be confused, they think they've given the fans everything they demanded. Sure, there was a great banner with Yoda about winning, but almost all the rest of the demands have been to have someone fired, have someone traded, have someone cut, bring some specific guy in. Those are the easiest things to deliver (especially when we ourselves say it's impossible to bring in really big-names and only ask for guys like JDG).

Yes, it's a bad sign when a team is run like that, but we've seen teams run like that in this city for years, it shouldn't suprise us. It's the easiest way to run a team, who would try to give people more than what they demand?

H Bomb
10-12-2010, 08:57 AM
I dont care how/why he got fired. Truth is he wasnt performing. We havent performed since he left no doubt, but it's not like our form now is unlike it was before, it's just showing itself in new ways. The team is in disarray and should not be expected to do anything right now (but we should still be angry about this). But if preki was still in charge i see no reason to assume it would be any better...maybe we get a draw or two in the last couple games instead of losses, whatever. I'm glad because he played football the wrong way. I'm lucky enough to not follow any teams that win badly...my teams basically dont win so I can take the "moral high ground" whatever that might be and say I dont want to succeed through negativity. I have lots of people regularly tell me that I'd take what Italy have (world cup) in a second, but I dont have to agree with it. I can demand both winning and winning well, and I will demand that. This game isnt just about results, if it was we'd all be Man U/Inter/Whoever fans. So while I always want to win, results are not the Be all and end all, Preki proved that to me this year by boring the hell out of me most weeks, even earlier in the season when we were doing better.

v00d00daddy
10-12-2010, 08:58 AM
But when the players and the fans agree on something - firing the GM and the coach - that's a gift for a management that doesn't really care about the product.

It's easy to see why MLSE might be confused, they think they've given the fans everything they demanded. Sure, there was a great banner with Yoda about winning, but almost all the rest of the demands have been to have someone fired, have someone traded, have someone cut, bring some specific guy in. Those are the easiest things to deliver (especially when we ourselves say it's impossible to bring in really big-names and only ask for guys like JDG).

Yes, it's a bad sign when a team is run like that, but we've seen teams run like that in this city for years, it shouldn't suprise us. It's the easiest way to run a team, who would try to give people more than what they demand?

Good point but at some point, if the club wants to win (that's a big if), the club has to stop listenting to the fans and the players and install somebody who is going to get the job done...regardless of what clueless people (ie: the fans) want.

We as supporters should want people that will bring success. Nothing more, nothing less. If we can't even allow people to implement what they think will bring us success (ie Preki and his philosophy) than how the fuck will we ever succeed.

This club needs to STOP listening to the demands of the fans when it comes to the onfield product.

v00d00daddy
10-12-2010, 09:02 AM
I dont care how/why he got fired. Truth is he wasnt performing. We havent performed since he left no doubt, but it's not like our form now is unlike it was before, it's just showing itself in new ways. The team is in disarray and should not be expected to do anything right now (but we should still be angry about this). But if preki was still in charge i see no reason to assume it would be any better...maybe we get a draw or two in the last couple games instead of losses, whatever. I'm glad because he played football the wrong way. I'm lucky enough to not follow any teams that win badly...my teams basically dont win so I can take the "moral high ground" whatever that might be and say I dont want to succeed through negativity. I have lots of people regularly tell me that I'd take what Italy have (world cup) in a second, but I dont have to agree with it. I can demand both winning and winning well, and I will demand that. This game isnt just about results, if it was we'd all be Man U/Inter/Whoever fans. So while I always want to win, results are not the Be all and end all, Preki proved that to me this year by boring the hell out of me most weeks, even earlier in the season when we were doing better.

I get your point. I'd like attractive, winning football too, but I'll take winning if that's my only choice.

My point has always been to let the guy fulfill his vision to see what we get at the end. I would imagine that Preki's vision was to become solid on the defensive side of the ball and then figure out how to score more...whether it be by different tactics or different personnel. He never had a chance to fulfill that and wasn't given the authority to do what he wanted.

What will we get next? Nick Dasovic? How can this guy possibly instill any confidence in anyone?

Beach_Red
10-12-2010, 09:02 AM
I dont care how/why he got fired.

But it's very important going forward to know who's making decisions for this team and what they're basing those decisions on.

Will this be the trend from now on, coaches get two year contracts but half a year to turn the team around. Does that seem like good management? No, so there must have been something specific here. Do you think whatever it was will come up during interviews with manager candidates? Do you think the field of potential candidates has been narrowed?

Oldtimer
10-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Preki was hired because Mo was able to hire him. Mo "tossed the dice" to see if a new approach would work. Like many of Mo's gambles, it was a losing one.

Preki was fired because Anselmi made the decision when he fired Mo. Anselmi had already lost faith in Preki when he gutted a squad that Anselmi thought was almost there.

I don't think that the players were the deciding factor (although they might have added weight to the decision).

Conspiracy theories are not necessary, Anselmi made reference to TFC "almost being there" last year.

Beach_Red
10-12-2010, 09:23 AM
^ So, do you think Anselmi making these decisions mid-way through the season will have any effect on other people looking at coming to work for TFC if they also have offers from teams managed by soccer people?

rocker
10-12-2010, 09:32 AM
What will we get next? Nick Dasovic? How can this guy possibly instill any confidence in anyone?

People like the familiar.. he's Canadian, he's been around a while... so people will overlook his faults and believe, with hope, that he could be a decent coach someday. Maybe he can. But TFC doesn't have time to let Daso make mistakes and learn on the job.

As was mentioned earlier too -- if people like Daso it gives TFC an excuse not to hire someone with a proven track record. It also probably means Cochrane stays on as GM, since a new GM would probably want somebody else to coach. I'm worried about a Cochrane and Daso combo. I just can't see them getting it together in a year or two. Maybe 3-4 years, as they learn from their mistakes?

Darlofletch
10-12-2010, 09:39 AM

really? I'd say by historical standards Birmingham have been doing pretty well recently, and that's all been built around a strong defence and grinding out results rather than any kind of flair filled exciting football.

Obviously a smaller team having to compete with the big boys in the epl is a different situation than tfc in MLS, but still, that statement's a bit much.

and as for reasons to assume the team would be better under preki? how about our earlier record when people were fit and we weren't relying on obie as our main striker. I'd say May was overacheiving, but june july and early august is probably what I'd expect from tfc for the rest of the year if preki was still there and everyone was fit.

even in august/september when we were horrible, we were still very solid defensively, I don't think it's that much of a leap to assume that getting our forwards back form injury would have helped us score goals again.

menefreghista
10-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Dasovic had a shot of being next year's head coach.

But the continued downward spiral of results has ensured that won't happen.

Darlofletch
10-12-2010, 09:42 AM
People like the familiar.. he's Canadian, he's been around a while... so people will overlook his faults and believe, with hope, that he could be a decent coach someday. Maybe he can. But TFC doesn't have time to let Daso make mistakes and learn on the job.

As was mentioned earlier too -- if people like Daso it gives TFC an excuse not to hire someone with a proven track record. It also probably means Cochrane stays on as GM, since a new GM would probably want somebody else to coach. I'm worried about a Cochrane and Daso combo. I just can't see them getting it together in a year or two. Maybe 3-4 years, as they learn from their mistakes?

That''s the bit that worries me, anselmi seemed to be pretty unrepentant about his "investing in canadian talent" approach at the mo/preki press conference.

If that remians a priority, rather than simply focussing on winning, then we're screwed. I don't want us to be a development club where people learn the job, i9 want someone that knows the job.

v00d00daddy
10-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Preki was hired because Mo was able to hire him. Mo "tossed the dice" to see if a new approach would work. Like many of Mo's gambles, it was a losing one.

Preki was fired because Anselmi made the decision when he fired Mo. Anselmi had already lost faith in Preki when he gutted a squad that Anselmi thought was almost there.

I don't think that the players were the deciding factor (although they might have added weight to the decision).

Conspiracy theories are not necessary, Anselmi made reference to TFC "almost being there" last year.

I'm sorry...but what does Anselmi know about how close the team was to being good? He's another guy that needs to be replaced or relegated to running the business side of things. He should have ZERO input on how good/bad the team is.

Why would he hire a guy if the guy can't do what he thinks is necessary? It's madness.

H Bomb
10-12-2010, 09:57 AM
really? I'd say by historical standards Birmingham have been doing pretty well recently, and that's all been built around a strong defence and grinding out results rather than any kind of flair filled exciting football.

Obviously a smaller team having to compete with the big boys in the epl is a different situation than tfc in MLS, but still, that statement's a bit much.

Nahh, Blues dont win ugly. They draw ugly when they play top teams. They only play a shut down game against top teams which (since pundits only watch top teams regularly) is why they are known as a "hard team to break down". Its true, but if we ever win a game, we tend to win it by trying things and playing football. I understand what youre saying but its a media created falacy made by people who only read news reports about a team.

Roogsy
10-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Dasovic had a shot of being next year's head coach.

But the continued downward spiral of results has ensured that won't happen.

I agree. He changed too much too soon. He should have kept a semblance of Preki's defensive strategy while opening up the offence just a smidge. Now fans are demoralized and as far as I can tell, so is the team.

Pachuco
10-12-2010, 10:45 AM
There are only 2 people to blame for this team, and that's Preki and Mo. You can't possibly change a philosophy if you can't change the the players on the team. Preki had a philosophy of playing the ugliest football I've seen in my life. And I've watched 6 year olds run around a soccer field before. That philosophy demanded that guys like Peterson would be singed in place of someone like Vitti. Now that Preki is gone the next coach and GM need a chance to change the philosphy, meaning they need a chance to get rid of the guys who don't fit into the new philosophy and to bring in guys that fit their needs.

It doesn't take a braniack to figure that out. Voodoodady I'm starting to think you are Preki in disguise. Preki isn't laughing at shit, this team is the same shit ass team that Preki built.

Darlofletch
10-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Nahh, Blues dont win ugly. They draw ugly when they play top teams. They only play a shut down game against top teams which (since pundits only watch top teams regularly) is why they are known as a "hard team to break down". Its true, but if we ever win a game, we tend to win it by trying things and playing football. I understand what youre saying but its a media created falacy made by people who only read news reports about a team.

guilty as charged, i don't watch birmingham much, but they've always seemed like a fairly dour team. last year they scored 38 goals, 6th worst in the epl (or is that a media fallacy as well), doesn't suggest they were opening it up all that much.

are you happy when they play the shut down game against the better teams? would you rather be wigan, play a "better" style of football and regularly get hammered?

I'd suggest that's what preki was doing, he realised that with the squad we had (and yes he had a big part in that) that his best chance of getting results was often to play a more defensive game. How's Dasovic's more expansive attempts to use the same squad working out? same way it would if birmingham tried to really take it to the big teams, lots of defeats. dasovic's best game was the 0-0 against cruz azul, set out to defend, and got the job done.

I'd love us to have a squad that matches anyone in the league so we can go toe to toe with other teams and get some results, but right now we don't. I'd rather have a coach that recognises that and plays to get results, rather than someone who gives it a go anyway and regularly lets in a lot of goals and loses as a result.

H Bomb
10-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Everything you said makes sense, but I hated Preki, so I cant talk about it without much Bias. Preki is a terrible football manager. Lots of people claim he was trying to get the defense in order and then work on up front...I dont see it. I think he's just a negative piece of shit who doesnt even know what football looks like. For me we needed to get rid of him in april. He is Anti-football and I've got no interest in it. Sure i wish Birmingham had more skilled players....if you can convince them to play for my team for less money then I'd be a happy camper. But give preki talent, and his teams would still be terrible, because he was unbelievably bad at his job.

rocker
10-12-2010, 11:08 AM
the poll is pretty clear on the question that sparked the thread.... over 2/3rds disapprove with the job Daso has done so far.

DichioTFC
10-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Preki: Right man, wrong time (he clearly wanted to make up his own squad with his own players but was rebuffed by management).
Daso: Right time, wrong guy (they got rid of an apparently hated coach, but Daso doesn't appear to have a vision beyond the likes of us. defense has holes, still lacking the finishing touch, positioning leaves much to be desired)

I feel bad for Daso, and although I do not approve of him at the current moment, I would like to see what he can do with a full year (off-season, pre-season, season, post-season, following pre-season), unless we can hire someone proven (Nicol, Yallop).

DichioTFC
10-12-2010, 11:17 AM
If we get a new coach, I would like Daso to stay on as an assistant with the promise that continued improvement on his part would equate to a permanent position in the future.

v00d00daddy
10-12-2010, 11:42 AM
There are only 2 people to blame for this team, and that's Preki and Mo. You can't possibly change a philosophy if you can't change the the players on the team. Preki had a philosophy of playing the ugliest football I've seen in my life. And I've watched 6 year olds run around a soccer field before. That philosophy demanded that guys like Peterson would be singed in place of someone like Vitti. Now that Preki is gone the next coach and GM need a chance to change the philosphy, meaning they need a chance to get rid of the guys who don't fit into the new philosophy and to bring in guys that fit their needs.

It doesn't take a braniack to figure that out. Voodoodady I'm starting to think you are Preki in disguise. Preki isn't laughing at shit, this team is the same shit ass team that Preki built.

I agree. you can't change a philosophy without changing the players and preki was nit able to make all the changes that he wanted.

as for ugly football...meh...it's only ugly when we struggle. when we were succeeding it was just fine for most of us.

I don't understand the people who pine for this attractive football notion. it's not go na happen people. wrong league. we don't have players, coaches or management to make that a reality. we'd have to fire Everyone AND get
competent people to replace them. Then we have to attract a great coach and great players. Who is really gonna be able to do that?

J .
10-12-2010, 01:33 PM
I like how Daso pushes players forward leaving massive gaps between the mid and defenders. Awesome.

Preki should have remained as coach and the leaders of the Canadian coup, MeRo, JDG and Daso canned. Funny, the Canadian NT's past two matches have been much better without MeRo and JDG.

When Preki has us going through that unbeaten streak Barrett was healthy and DeRo was scoring. Then DeRo decided to become MeRo and didnt do anything for seven games while Barrett was hurt.

Shakes McQueen
10-12-2010, 01:37 PM
My opinions on this matter aside, "MeRo" is pretty funny. :D

- Scott

jloome
10-20-2010, 11:53 AM
[quote=CoachGT;1147731Nothing says he isn't, either.[/quote]

Well other than the fact that HE'S NEVER DONE IT BEFORE.

Seriously people, I don't care if he's got the potential to be the next Sir Alex. We don't need to be testing people out now. He should be happy with the interim tag for now, and hopefully whoever comes on keeps him and he keeps learning.

It's way too quick to promote him, in the worst circumstance possible. Plus, as Ensco points out earlier in this thread, MLSE will be looking for fan-backed scapegoats.

Nah, fuck 'em. The fans should be demanding someone of Klinsmann or Sammer's stature. Hell, I'd be ecstatic with Alan Curbishley.

jloome
10-20-2010, 11:56 AM
I agree. you can't change a philosophy without changing the players and preki was nit able to make all the changes that he wanted.

as for ugly football...meh...it's only ugly when we struggle. when we were succeeding it was just fine for most of us.

I don't understand the people who pine for this attractive football notion. it's not go na happen people. wrong league. we don't have players, coaches or management to make that a reality. we'd have to fire Everyone AND get
competent people to replace them. Then we have to attract a great coach and great players. Who is really gonna be able to do that?

You don't watch much MLS, do you? Both Seattle and New York play attractive, flowing football pretty much all of the time. LA's there most of the time, too.

No one's claiming it's premiership status, but the notion that every club looks like that ugly lump of immovable crap we had on the field earlier this year is ridiculous.

I'd rather have a balanced system that respects offence and defence. But that's a question of having the right squad. Preki was happy to take the job with the obvious caveat that he'd have to keep on masses of Mo's roster shit.

But that's still a two-way problem: the players and the management.

Anyone else notice how much better Labrocca has looked in the hole than DeRo, and how much better DeRo looks pushed up front, where he can concentrate on scoring and not attempting to dribble past five players?

bigtfcfan
10-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Dasovic should definitely NOT be the coach of TFC next year. This team has turned into "coaches" gaining 1 year of coaching experience and then leaving or getting fired.

Also, it doesn't help that canadian commentators on TFC games (ie: jason de vos) keep trying to help out their canadian friends (ie: dasovic) by suggesting that he should get the job next year. They are just screwing the team over for personal favours.

J .
10-20-2010, 12:23 PM
I like winning football, I dont care how it is played. I liked when we were going unbeaten. What I dont like is conceeding goals. Im not there to be entertained by the match, but to enjoy winning a championship. So however they play, they need to play smart and Dasovic did not have the team playing smart.

The truth is that in this season the players spit the bit and their coup comrade Dasovic couldnt put Humpty Season back together again. Funny, the only guy who didnt think playoffs would be easy and that the team was another season or two away was Preki.

There needs to be a lot of searching for character from guys like DeRo and JDG. Where our team lacked all season was on the wings and when Barrett got hurt. When Barrett went down, so did the season.

Hopefully Lindsay will be an option 2-3 seasons from now, but in the mean time we need two DP wingers. Release JDG and trade DeRo for picks, see if some other team will pay him DP money... I doubt it.

Anyway, back on topic, what has Dasovic done to prove he is a good coach? Nothing. His only glory was a 1-1 draw with the u23 NT's vs Mexico... Aside from that, he was Dale Mitchells assistant on the 2010 NT qualification campaign. Wow that went really well. He should be shot and fucking left on an iceberg to die so he could know the pain of having to watch that tripe. Furthermore, anyone who is associated with the debacle that is the CSA should not be apart of the organization.

Dasovic has no record, prior or during his tenure as interim coach that would indicate he is a good manager.

Obviously I voted no, I am glad he wont be back.

Section 117
10-20-2010, 12:45 PM
^^^ J. - The funny thing about your comment about being 2 players away is quite funny actually and preki is the only one who saw things differently.

We were better team last year then this year. Just look at the table and that should be easy to understand. 1 point away from playoffs last year and this year we are a minimum 9 points out....

Preki was/is a dick he blew this team up when all they need to do was tweak period. Let's not even start with line up selection from Preki which is a fucking joke. With this crap we still could of qualified for Champions league if werent for that horrible line up in Panama.

Back to the squad:

Is Nane Joseph, Saric, Labrocca, all better than Robbo at best it is a wash if not Robbo being better than all of them.

We lost Guevera and replaced him with .... I am still waiting oh yeah no one. So we loose our most talented attacking midfileder and repalceed him with Saric, Nane, Labrocca, Peterson

The only decent signing was Cann in replace of Serioux. Even though Serioux was/is not a center back.

No coach from Sir Alex, Mourinhio, Lippi or anyone can make this disgrace of a roster into a winner. We over exceed in the beginning and then reality kicked in the second half. There is no skill on this team with the few exceptions. We can play anti soccer hope for a draw on the road and hopefully squeak out wins at home which in actuality we had 6 wins and 6 draws at home. We dropped 12 fucking points at home playing this anti soccer bullshit.

I for one and happy he is gone. Should Daso be coach I am not sure about it, but what ever happens they better not hire some one to coach in the same mold of Preki as I hate watching paint dry ... Grass grow or what ever. I spend money and I want to be entertained

Roogsy
10-20-2010, 12:55 PM
^^^ J. - The funny thing about your comment about being 2 players away is quite funny actually and preki is the only one who saw things differently.

We were better team last year then this year. Just look at the table and that should be easy to understand. 1 point away from playoffs last year and this year we are a minimum 9 points out....

Preki was/is a dick he blew this team up when all they need to do was tweak period. Let's not even start with line up selection from Preki which is a fucking joke. With this crap we still could of qualified for Champions league if werent for that horrible line up in Panama.

Back to the squad:

Is Nane Joseph, Saric, Labrocca, all better than Robbo at best it is a wash if not Robbo being better than all of them.

We lost Guevera and replaced him with .... I am still waiting oh yeah no one. So we loose our most talented attacking midfileder and repalceed him with Saric, Nane, Labrocca, Peterson

The only decent signing was Cann in replace of Serioux. Even though Serioux was/is not a center back.

No coach from Sir Alex, Mourinhio, Lippi or anyone can make this disgrace of a roster into a winner. We over exceed in the beginning and then reality kicked in the second half. There is no skill on this team with the few exceptions. We can play anti soccer hope for a draw on the road and hopefully squeak out wins at home which in actuality we had 6 wins and 6 draws at home. We dropped 12 fucking points at home playing this anti soccer bullshit.

I for one and happy he is gone. Should Daso be coach I am not sure about it, but what ever happens they better not hire some one to coach in the same mold of Preki as I hate watching paint dry ... Grass grow or what ever. I spend money and I want to be entertained

Preach on brotha!!!

J .
10-20-2010, 01:44 PM

Back to the squad:

We werent a better team last year and I said what happened. DeRo quit and Barrett got hurt. That is it. We lacked attacking depth. When Barrett went down, DeRo was unable to get space to operate, got frustrated, morphed into MeRo and the season tanked.

In terms of the table, look at how poorly organized we have been the final two months? Its been a case study in losing tactics. We gave up more than three goals, four times... FOUR TIMES. Horrible. Those results are on Dasovic.

In regards to the home games we lost two games at home under Preki, vs NYRB and vs DCU and it was after the loss versus the Union where the team really began shit the bed.

There are lots of things you can do to entertain yourself, watching wave after wave of opposing team expose the space between our midfield and backline isnt entertaining. I spend money too, to win. I can watch the game on tv to be entertained, I want TFC to win championships. No winning team conceedes two goals a game.

The fact is this team never has learned how to defend and that is why it cannot win. If you cannot defend you will not win. We went from giving up about a goal per game, to over two against per game.

Even the sexy attacking teams defend strongly first. RSL, LA, they are very solid in their backend. Without defending you cannot properly attack.

So yeah, this team could have made the playoffs, but MeRo/JDG, the Canadian coup leaders, didnt like Preki and didnt like playing defense. They wanted oranges at half for their effort and were worried about their paycheques. Where was MeRo from July 17th- September 18th? MIA. What about JDG? With the lack of talent on the field, the only way to win was to play very defensive.

We needed two wingers with the current lineup and that would do wonders for guys like Barrett, (D)MeRo and Santos, yet Peterson/LaBrocca/Gargan never were useful wide. This left our fullbacks getting run at, with a lack of pace on our backline we were left exposed and only through two strong centrebacks defending crosses as well as Frei were we able early in the season to hold out.

I believe the entire staff and any player that is not apart of the future or has spent significant time within the CSA should not be apart of TFC going forward. Hopefully there will be massive changes to the organization and the product on the field to instill a winning team oriented mentality.

To conclude my opinion, Dasovic should not be the coach. He has no pedigree as being successful and we need to elminate any inkling of CSA patronage from the organization. Two losing organizations won't produce a winning one.

David_Oliveira
10-20-2010, 02:23 PM
I voted no. I don't approve but I don't think the players we had were to his liking. He played his style with someone Preki's and Mo's team. Had it been his team, I would be able to judge it fairly.

Section 117
10-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Not for anything, but if I recall this is a team game is it not? Dero goes south and because of that we can't win a game???

How about this team was poorly built 15 players have come in this year and because one person cooling off we cant win a bloody game???? That is bullshit, I don't disagree that defense wins championship, but sacrificing any attacking ability for defensive structure is a recipe for disaster see the 2nd half of this season.

We need a balance for both offense and defence. Defending is a team game and so is offense and when your coach (preki) only preached defense and 0 game plan going forward outside of giving Dero the ball and pray is amatuer at best.

The best defense is a good offense, as my coaches told me if you keep possesion and pressure the other team in their thrid of the field. This is what I expect from my team, but with the squad the way we have it now would be lucky to beat a CSL team.

I for one am happy Preki is gone

FootieChick
10-20-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm happy Preki is gone, Daso is NOT coach material for this team.

We need someone with an open mind who can lead this team. Someone with experience who is well respected, but not a hard ass like Preki was. Daso is too buddy buddy (as mentioned before) with the players. I spoke with a few players adn they're like "Yeah, he's a cool guy. He's really nice." I hear nothing about his coaching style. He is just a 'nice guy". Discipline is required to improve the little talent we have as well as to be rid of the non-talent we must get rid of.

(D)MeRo has become a joke. He is 34 years old and wants a salary increase but he is not DP material. I use to look up to him, and what he did this season with the money tactics, not trying and running back for the ball and just the lack of effort infuriates me. He is our captain! He is suppose to be leading the team on the pitch and instead, he stopped trying?! It's truly disapointing to see a home grown TFC captain lose faith in his team. I've lost respect for him.

The coach should have said something to kick his ass back into DeRo mode and he didn't. Hence why I don't believe he's coach material.

Roogsy
10-20-2010, 03:08 PM
(D)MeRo has become a joke. He is 34 years old and wants a salary increase but he is not DP material. I use to look up to him, and what he did this season with the money tactics, not trying and running back for the ball and just the lack of effort infuriates me. He is our captain! He is suppose to be leading the team on the pitch and instead, he stopped trying?! It's truly disapointing to see a home grown TFC captain lose faith in his team. I've lost respect for him.

Can we at least get his age right please? :lol:

J .
10-20-2010, 03:13 PM
It is sad we had only one attacking option outside of Barrett, but DeRo, was the catalyst for the team's offense. They failed to bring in the right talent to give him the space to operate, he lacks pace as he ages and when he is tightly marked he becomes lost in the muck.

Sadly, the players we brought in failed to have an impact. OBW didnt mature, Barrett got hurt, Peterson was hurt for the offseason and early season, LaBrocca has no finish.

I wager that if we had more attacking options, we would have seen more attacking football, but when you look at the roster the only person who can really play that role is DeRo, therefore it makes sese to run the offense through him.

Either way, both coaches did not and are not getting it done. But attacking just because it is attractive is ridiculous, especially when you dont have that kind of talent.

Either way, Section 117, we both want winning football. I dont care how its done, but like I said, giving up 2 goals per game doesn't get it done.

sampace
10-20-2010, 07:56 PM
If we want a Canadian Soccer coach, let's bring someone in with more experience who will do a better job.

FootieChick
10-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Can we at least get his age right please? :lol:

I don't know how old he is... let me check... 32! fine :P

Either way in the futbol world he's no spring chicken!

__wowza
10-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Anyway, back on topic, what has Dasovic done to prove he is a good coach? Nothing. His only glory was a 1-1 draw with the u23 NT's vs Mexico... Aside from that, he was Dale Mitchells assistant on the 2010 NT qualification campaign. Wow that went really well. He should be shot and fucking left on an iceberg to die so he could know the pain of having to watch that tripe. Furthermore, anyone who is associated with the debacle that is the CSA should not be apart of the organization.

why don't you tell us how you really feel :D

Pachuco
10-21-2010, 11:29 AM
It is sad we had only one attacking option outside of Barrett, but DeRo, was the catalyst for the team's offense. They failed to bring in the right talent to give him the space to operate, he lacks pace as he ages and when he is tightly marked he becomes lost in the muck.

Sadly, the players we brought in failed to have an impact. OBW didnt mature, Barrett got hurt, Peterson was hurt for the offseason and early season, LaBrocca has no finish.

I wager that if we had more attacking options, we would have seen more attacking football, but when you look at the roster the only person who can really play that role is DeRo, therefore it makes sese to run the offense through him.

Either way, both coaches did not and are not getting it done. But attacking just because it is attractive is ridiculous, especially when you dont have that kind of talent.

Either way, Section 117, we both want winning football. I dont care how its done, but like I said, giving up 2 goals per game doesn't get it done.

And if we had Ronaldo and Messi, we would've won the MLS cup. We were a much better team last year, partly because we had better guys on the field which equaled better depth on the bench. It's ironic that you say this team needed more offense, when it was Preki and Mo who built this team. Preki got to make wholesale changes, so if we still had no offense, he's partly to blame. Also, we had injuries and international absences last year as well.

The fact of the matter is, this team was simply a better team last year, the stats prove it.

J .
10-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Strikingly this team was giving up less than a goal with Preki and since he left gave up more than two. We also beat Cruz Azul, made it to the Group stage of the CL and was undefeated for a quite a stretch.

Our attack was fine until Barrett got hurt, while Mista, Peterson and OBW never showed up. Funny how our drop in play coincides with Mista's arrival.

Also, DeRo was playing well then he decided to quit and took on his alter ego, MeRo. I suppose that once MeRo gets his DP all will be well in Toronto. He probably is part of the group trying to find a coach.

Preki was not infallible and often I was wondering why he played lineups he did. But this season was about how the leaders of our team quit and have shown a history of quitting when it gets tough.

Dasovic is a CSA lackey and has no record of note. No he shouldn't be coach and to a larger extent, the core of this team should be jettisoned.

I am all for attacking football so long as we are not exposed at the backend like we have had to endure every year aside from when Preki was in charge. I dont give a fuck if Santa Claus is coach and His Holiness the manager, watching each game down two is much worse than 0-0 draws no matter whether its 2007,08,09, 2010 or 2110.

ilikemusic
10-22-2010, 12:20 AM
There really should be a 'doesnt matter' option for this poll.

Wull
10-22-2010, 06:43 AM
Also, DeRo was playing well then he decided to quit and took on his alter ego, MeRo. I suppose that once MeRo gets his DP all will be well in Toronto. He probably is part of the group trying to find a coach.

I've seen this touted quite a few times, yet to see anyone prove he actually stopped trying rather than teams figuring out stopping him stopped any form of attack from preki's shit lineups

DichioTFC
10-22-2010, 07:34 AM
^ Agreed.

DeRo is one of 11 guys on the pitch. If they all suck, he's going to suck as well. As much of a boogeyman DeRo has become, he's still one of the hardest working guys on the pitch and easily our most talented player.

Clearly coaching was an issue last year, and I'm sure other coaches who had experience playing Preki's teams in previous seasons saw right through Preki's tactics this time around.

J .
10-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Ok, What about when Cummins was the coach? What about Mitchell? If DeRo doesnt like the coach, he MeRo's?

Chivas made the playoffs with Preki... They didnt this year...

Anyway, its best Preki is gone, but unless we can play defense, we wont win anything. That is the bottom line.

Section 117
10-22-2010, 08:30 AM
J. I am not sure how long you been following the MLS, but the team Preki took over was from Bob Bradely (current USMNT coach) he won coach of the year with essesntially the same squad. As he but his influenced they slowly dropped the table year after year. So for all the crap about Preki look at the facts and you can see that he is not a very good coach

J .
10-23-2010, 11:52 AM
J. I am not sure how long you been following the MLS, but the team Preki took over was from Bob Bradely (current USMNT coach) he won coach of the year with essesntially the same squad. As he but his influenced they slowly dropped the table year after year. So for all the crap about Preki look at the facts and you can see that he is not a very good coach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.D._Chivas_USA#Head_coaches

LesH
10-23-2010, 01:27 PM
I think we were better with Preki, but I'm hard pressed to explicitly "disapprove" of the job Daso has done, as he wasn't exactly thrust into a great position - taking over a disgruntled team whose playoff hopes were already bleak.

I'm starting to think there might be a few inmates over there running the asylum. Unfortunately these suspicions will likely never be confirmed, as the front office has no currency with the fans at this point, and the only hush-hush "sources" we have seem to ultimately come back to the players themselves (who obviously won't see it that way).

The players got what they apparently wanted in the removal of Preki, and they've responded to that by acting more entitled than ever, and playing shittier than ever.

Bringing it back to Dasovic - I don't "approve" of the job he has done obviously, but I'm hesitant to hang this boat anchor around his neck. He hasn't shown me that he will be any better leading this team than the previous four guys. Just another poor guy shambling towards the gallows, because the players decide they don't want to play for him.

- Scott

This. +1000

GuelphStorm2007
10-23-2010, 11:31 PM
I am pleased with Dasovic job as coach, but I think TFC nedds a top notch MLS COACH Like Kinnear, or Nicol in order to make the next step.

shwade
10-24-2010, 01:07 PM
I really hope they aim higher than Dasovic.

Alixir
10-24-2010, 03:21 PM
If Dasovic is the coach come spring this team will be looking at another playoffless year. If I could afford a Porsche I am not going to buy a Kia.