PDA

View Full Version : The Next Year Roster Thread, Rebuilding since 2008

Pages : [1] 2 3

[NBF]
09-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Rebuilding obviously needs to start at the head office and giving the job to Nick Dasovic is a good start considering that he was offered the job when John Carver left and was left out when Chris Cummins took over. Director of Football operations I think should be someone with experience and has more football and scouting knowledge than Nick Dasovic, also doesnt hurt if he's Canadian. I think theres only 2 options for this job and they are Collin Miller and Paul Peschisolido.

As far as the team goes the following players should remain on the team:

----------------------------------Frei---------------------------------
--------------------------------Conway-------------------------------
---------------------------------Kosic---------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Gargan------------Attakora---------------Cann---------------Vacant
D.Henry------------Gomez---------------Vacant-----------Hscanovic
Vacant------------DeGuzman-------------DeRosario-----------Vacant
Ibrahim------------Sanyang-------------LeBrocca---------------Gala
--------------------Santos----------------Vacant---------------------
-------------------O.B.White--------------Vacant--------------------

Canadians: Not Enough but 8 or 9 depending on O.B.W.
Internationals: 5 or 6 depending on O.B.W.
Americans: 4/8, need 4 more.

Total Roster: 17/24

Draft Strategy: Lets build from back to front!

STRIKERS: Select the best striker in the 2011 Draft and put him up front to start or move him to the right wing to get playing experience. Likewise, if the Striker is a left footed player that can be used as a left winger. Versatility is the key here since there's not much finishing skill in the strikers coming from the college draft. A target man would be great but not if he will be a statute waiting for crosses from our left or right backs. Striker is priority #3(a).

MIDFIELDERS: Depends on the type of formation the next coach will want to implement, finding wingers is a priority, but only if we have a target man to receive the crosses. We might find someone for this role in the college draft. Left Winger is priority #2 and Right Winger is priority #3(b)

DEFENDERS: The epich centre back search is on going for the 5th season. Any player thats in the draft will not be the answer that we need unless TFC uses the draft to trade for a player named Dejan Jakovic. Centre Back is priority #1(a) and Left Back is priority #1(b).

GOALKEEPERS: Street and Wagenaar were in the training camp last season my question is why didnt we sign them? Drafting a Goalkeeper is not a priority, but if there's one available with some promise maybe draft him and loan him out. Conway could be released to make room for a #2 american goalkeeper with a future. Goalkeeper is priority #4

Toronto FC : The 2011 Rebuilding Update
Last Updated: Aug. 3rd, 2011

New Management for 2011:

TFC Technical Director: Aron Winter
Head Coach: Aron Winter
Assistant Coach: Bob De Klerk
Assistant Coach: Jason Bent
Goalkeepers Coach: Mike Toshack
Director of Player Development: Paul Mariner
Director of TFC Academy: Stuart Neally
TFC Academy Coach: Danny Dichio
TFC Academy Coach: Jim Brennan
Director of Team and Players Operation: Earl Cochrane
North American Scout: Tim Reagan

2011- Draft Results

(First Round)Traded to Vancouver for DF, Nathan Sturgis.

(Second Round)Selected Right Back, Demitrius Omphroy.

(Third Round)Selected DF, Matt Gold.

(Third Round)Selected Striker, Efrain Burgos Jr.

(Third Round)Selected Winger, Joao Plata.

TFC 2011- Current Roster:

----------------------------------Kosic--------------------------------
Eckersley-----------Williams----------------Iro--------Yourassowsky
Robinson--------------Viator-----------------Henry---------------Borman
[Omphroy]-------------Harden---------------(Cann)---------------Morgan
------------------(DP)DeGuzman-----------(DP)Frings----------------
--------------------Griffit-----------------------Sturgis------------------
---------------------Gold------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------E.Avila-------------------------------
----------------------------------Dunfield-------------------------------
----------------------------------Cordon--------------------------------
----------------------------------Stinson--------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martina-------------------------------------------------------R.Johnson
Zavarise------------------------------------------------------------[Plata]
Makubuya--------------------------------------------------------(Lindsay)
(Bouchiba)---------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------(DP)Koevermans----------------------------
---------------------------------Soolsma---------------------------------

+Injured List: (Lindsay, out for season), (Bouchiba, injury unknown), Cann(Out for Season)
[Drafted]= drafted in 2011

Canadians: A healthy 9, also counting Kosic:D
Internationals: 13 for now until the end of the transfer window:D
Americans: 7 players, and I'm guessing more on the way.:rolleyes:

Total: 29 players(+ 3 Injured)/ 30 players allowed

jabbronies
09-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Please get rid of: Hscanovic

werewolf
09-16-2010, 10:14 AM
"Rebuilding since 2008" implies we had something built in 2007.

flambe
09-16-2010, 10:21 AM
;1131170']

--------------------Santos----------------Vacant---------------------
-------------------O.B.White--------------Vacant---------------------

You want to keep OBW over Barrett?

ACSertL
09-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Could we maybe not try Usanov on the right side of midfield? He looks fairly good going forward and can whip in a dangerous cross. I like the fact that people remember him when he puts in a tackle, but sometimes his over-aggressiveness gets him caught way out of position.

Kevvv
09-16-2010, 10:28 AM
"Rebuilding since 2008" implies we had something built in 2007.

Considering one of the year 1 tickets showed Conor Casey, we have been rebuilding since 2007.

werewolf
09-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Considering one of the year 1 tickets showed Conor Casey, we have been rebuilding since 2007.

title should be "building since 2006, over and over and over again".

Red CB Toronto
09-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Paul Peschisolido is not an option, his ties to the UK are quite strong with his wife Karen Brady currently vice-chairman of West Ham and Chairman for England's World Cup bid advisory board.

Bars92
09-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Can we get Edu back?

Oldtimer
09-16-2010, 11:28 AM

agreed

Shakes McQueen
09-16-2010, 11:41 AM
You kept O'Brien White over Chad Barrett?

- Scott

Nuvinho
09-16-2010, 12:10 PM
roster expands to 30 next year, so salary cap must go up too.

TFCRegina
09-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Why did you trade our 2nd best scorer for a useless draft pick who never tries?

And why is that Latvian still in the lineup.

Nuvinho
09-16-2010, 12:18 PM
adding to that list: Barrett, Harden, Nane, Peterson, Lindsay. I know people don't like Peterson and Nane, but they are serviceable players in some games. That puts us at 21 players, we can still add 9 more.

We'll need a LB, RB, more wingers, and a DP striker (haven't we heard this before??)

Fushida
09-16-2010, 01:10 PM
OBW... :drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking:

[NBF]
09-16-2010, 02:48 PM
adding to that list: Barrett, Harden, Nane, Peterson, Lindsay. I know people don't like Peterson and Nane, but they are serviceable players in some games. That puts us at 21 players, we can still add 9 more.

We'll need a LB, RB, more wingers, and a DP striker (haven't we heard this before??)

Why would you want to keep Barrett, Harden, Peterson, and Joseph????

Barrett: I think O.B.White and Santos are better players and more valuable to the team. He won't get better next season or any season from here on out. He's a shit striker and an even worse winger.

Harden: He's just too freakin slow and useless, hes absolutely the worst player after Garcia and hes shit at marking.

Peterson: I havent seen Peterson do anything that Ibrahim or Gala couldnt bring to the team on the field. Gala and Ibrahim are way better and have a better upside.

Joseph: I might reconcider, but he really doesnt bring much more than what Hscanovics brings to the left back role. He's physical but thats about it. Next to no technique.

Lindsay::canada: I have never seen him play and dont know exactly what kinda of role he can play for the team. I just read he signed for TFC. Good for the youngster.

"Jabbronnies"

Hscanovics, is the only left back/wing back on the roster. Until I see someone who can step into the left back role he's all we got. As far as Joseph there is depth at that position and what reall irks me about Joseph is that he is like a ghost on the field and just passes the ball off to someone as soon as he gets it.

FootieChick
09-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Get rid of Deguz unless we can get rid of his DP status.

Keep Nane (Jojo), he's improving... I think his butt prints on his couch are starting to wear off (hahaha)... sorry we're friends and he's a lazy shit at home! I will tell him to stop passing it, he does have good ball control so I'm not sure why he does that?!

OB White, I do love him... but he's not beneficial and he keeps messing up. I say keep Barrett.

If Frei is still around... that would be awesome. But we all have to keep our fingers crossed for that one!

Personally, I have no use for Usanov or Hscanovic. Usanov gets more yellow cards then yellow lights while driving. Hscanovic doesn't do much. We need new defenders. Gomez, thank god he's coming back, Attakora, Cann and Gargan are amazing... new defenders, not these ones. They are slowing down our back line. We need Wynne back... :D

DichioTFC
09-16-2010, 04:38 PM
My $0.02,

---------------------------------Kosic---------------------------------
Gargan------------Attakora---------------Cann---------------Vacant
D.Henry------------Gomez---------------Vacant---------------Vacant
Vacant------------DeGuzman-------------DeRosario-----------Vacant
Lindsay------------Sanyang---------------Vacant-----------Labrocca
-------------------------------------------------------------------Gala
---------------------Vacant----------------Barrett--------------------
---------------------Santos--------------O.B.White-------------------

Canadians: 8
Internationals: 4
Americans: 3/8, need 5 more.
Designated Players: 1/3, space for two more

Players (Assuming the increase to roster size is true): 16/30

Salary hit with the guys above (ignoring any increases from expiring contracts, and with JDG only taking up $400K): $1,863,247
Cap space (assuming salary cap space will be increased to $3.3M): $1,436,753

Mo signed a bunch of guys with contracts that were way too high (Hscanovics - $120K, Ibby - $133K, Garcia - $198K, Conway - $70K, Mista $998K, Saric - $90K, Usanov - $102K, OBW - $182K), and I know some were covered by other clubs, but its still an overpaid under-preforming team (Gargan, Attakora, Cann all make less than our backup keeper).

The first round draft pick we get will eat up $100K right off the bat at least, and theres no way we're keeping Attakora at $40K, so that's going to increase the salary hit to $2M with 17 guys, leaving $1.3M for the other 13.

My draft strategy would be, in order of priority:
1. Winger
2. Fullback
3. Midfielder cover
4. Striker
5. Defensive cover

Our strengths, as few as they may be, are GK, CD, AMC and DM (yes, JDG is an asset, whether you agree with it or not, realistically, he's not going anywhere).

If we improve our wingers and get speedy talented fullbacks, the goals will naturally come and the striker-issue will not be as severe as we currently perceive it to be (granted its an issue, but not the most pressing). Better service and wingers who get into space are the #1 need above all else right now. Simply put, we cannot win with the "wingers" we currently have (we can win with the strikers we have).

A midfielder partner for JDG is a must. Someone who can commit to tackles, draw fouls, play an effective passing game and work up the pitch is key.

Flipityflu
09-16-2010, 04:41 PM
i sometimes think that people are so used to shitting on Barrett for so long that they seem to miss that our goal scoring drought coincides with him geting injured.

DichioTFC
09-16-2010, 04:45 PM
^ Its interesting that DeRo is making $375 base. $25K more and he's a DP.

For the amount of work that he puts onto the field, the captaincy, the promotion our squad gets from simply having him on the team; he's totally worth the extra $25K. He's our living legend, bump up his pay.

ArmenJBX
09-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Stefan Frei
Jon Conway
Milos Kocic

Drew Moor
Dan Gargan
Nana Attakora
Adrian Cann
Kevin Davies
Ty Harden
Gabe Gala
Michael Harrington

Julian de Guzman
Nick LaBrocca
Amadou Sanyang
Martin Saric
Dwayne De Rosario
Corey Ashe
Will Johnson
Andre Luiz

Chad Barrett
Maicon Santos
Ian Hume
First Round Draft Pick

sampace
09-16-2010, 08:40 PM
DeRosario has had a terrible 2nd half of the season, but no one gets on his case. Perhaps if he were overpaid like many feel about DeGuzman the hate would be in full bloom. I do like DeRosario but he has been missing in action since the first 1/2 and he does hog the ball a lot and try to do too much. This team will only get better if they work harder at sharing the ball more, and if these players can't do it then bring in players who can.

prizby
09-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Keep Saric, Keep Barrett, Keep Mista if he goes for 250k, lose Nane, keep Usanov if he is cheaper...isn't Henry a CB not a RB.

I would love to see Tennant McVea play CB for TFC...see if he'll come back over for a little more money, i think he makes about 20k euros a year and probably on a rolling contract.

maybe mike grella will come back.

draft pick - how about Anthony Ampaipitakwong (i think he is a winger, not 100% sure)

a good versatile defender would be Aaron Maund

a wingback in Kofi Sarkodie would be an upgrade on Revis

striker in Darlington Nagbe

there is good talent out there

backbeat
09-16-2010, 09:08 PM
DeRosario has had a terrible 2nd half of the season, but no one gets on his case. Perhaps if he were overpaid like many feel about DeGuzman the hate would be in full bloom. I do like DeRosario but he has been missing in action since the first 1/2 and he does hog the ball a lot and try to do too much. This team will only get better if they work harder at sharing the ball more, and if these players can't do it then bring in players who can.

actually as far as the cap is concerned they get paid the same, pretty well but we all seem to get hung up on what MLSE is forking out and then at the same time complain that MLSE won't spend dollars on the team - even though they added seats, put in grass and are looking to build a state-of-the art practice facility. pretty messed up thinking as far as i can see!!

ag futbol
09-16-2010, 09:10 PM
I know there is going to be a bit of a cry for some continuity, but there is very little chance for that to happen here. Even of the parts we want back, I doubt Nana or Frei will be around for next year. I suspect JDG will be encouraged to try his hand elsewhere. Barrett will probably end up in Portland.

I think what's left of this year will look something like (probable starters bolded):

Keeper:
Kocic
Conway

Defense:
Adrian Cann
Gargan
Henry
Gómez (does he still exist?)

Mid:
Dero
LaBrocca

Fwd:
Santos
Ibrahim

There's a lot of bank spaces in there, but that's just reality. We don't have a starting quality forward (assuming mista is toast) anywhere to be seen. But the good news is this will give our new manager flexibility.

ArmenJBX
09-16-2010, 09:10 PM
De Rosario had a horrible game against RSL IMO.

I think if Vancouver comes knocking...we should exploit them for the Canadian talent they're looking for. Something like an expensive expansion draft pick and their first round draft pick for De Rosario would do it :D

tlear
09-16-2010, 09:12 PM
I think priority number 1 is a left back also if we could get 2 that would be good.. Hrsanovic guy got to go.

Up front we are ok Barret OBW and Santos with some extras perhaps.. I think case can be made for playing Santos as a single striker. Also Barret seems to need a partner, but this is a hard call.

What we really need is hire a coach SOON.. then he can start putting the team together to play his system so we do not have last minute additions and team can actually have a useful preseason

ArmenJBX
09-16-2010, 09:20 PM
We need wingers too.

I'm thinking

-------------------------Frei--------------------------
-Moor/Gargan----Nana/Harden--Cann---------Harrington
----------------------JDG------------------------------
--Ashe------------------De Rosario------------Johnson
---------------Barrett-------------Maicon---------------

ag futbol
09-16-2010, 09:23 PM
;1131170'] I think theres only 2 options for this job and they are Collin Miller and Paul Peschisolido.]*groans*

I don't mean to be harsh here, but I very much doubt either of these guys have the skill set we need in the new manager. It's like stacking more Canada on top of our Canada.

We need two components, the element that focuses on developing players internally (we have that) and the one that can scout MLS feeders. None of the guys here address #2.

We need someone who fits that profile. Steve Morrow comes to mind, not so much as a manager but maybe someone who can work with the club on establishing connections in south america. In my dreams maybe we could get José Pékerman (as much as that's probably not practical or realistic) .... ah well

Hitcho
09-16-2010, 09:30 PM

I think if Vancouver comes knocking...we should exploit them for the Canadian talent they're looking for. Something like an expensive expansion draft pick and their first round draft pick for De Rosario would do it :D

You'd give our only national rival our best player for a couple of draft picks, and hamstring us in terms of replacing him with another canadian? :facepalm:

I hope that was e-sarcasm that got lost in the interwebz, Jimmy...

ArmenJBX
09-16-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm looking at it in terms of overall value. What does De Rosario offer us at 33?

-Around 8-10 goals.
-Leadership in the locker room
-A local boy to look up to.
-Offensive threat
-Though, unfortunately, he is not getting any faster or fitter. He's in a decline.

What does De Rosario being traded to Vancouver give us?
-A high first round draft pick who could be a great addition like Frei was.
-An expensive expansion draft pick stolen from a team who kept an amazing player unprotected because they didn't think Vancouver would take them. Le Toux from Seattle is a good example on how Philly capitalized on a great player without Seattle thinking right. If we could end up with someone like Lindpere or Bobby Convey for example, it wouldn't be too bad.
-Allocation money

So we get a couple of really crucial, younger pieces for an aging Canadian icon, something Vancouver will want to build with.

Also, we don't need Canadian spots anymore. Americans count as local, so I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that losing De Rosario keeps us in the quota still, especially with Henry and Lindsay being Canadian as well.

TFC USA
09-16-2010, 09:43 PM
I think we have to dump Dero, probably Frei.

We need a clean slate and only keep a select few who won't bolt to Europe or hurt us by sucking ass like Peterson.

Section 117
09-16-2010, 10:16 PM
You guys are smoking some crazy shit. Why would they take Dero @ 33 if they will be building for the future. There is no way we get anywhere near that. We traded Julius James and a pick. You want a draft pick plus allocation. No chance

Azerban
09-16-2010, 11:13 PM
I think we have to dump Dero, probably Frei.

We need a clean slate and only keep a select few who won't bolt to Europe or hurt us by sucking ass like Peterson.

lets call this "The Tightrope of Mediocrity"

jabbronies
09-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Does anyone have an idea of what TFC's financial situation is looking like for 2011.

I remember at the start of 2010 we had our hands tied due to money being tied up in players that didn't play for us anymore.

would be interesting to see where we sit for the off season.

bgnewf
09-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Talking About Contracts

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/09/contracts-contracts-contracts/

I take a look at the contract status for each current Toronto FC player and try and bring some perspective to the scale of the job awaiting TFC's new Management team as they try and move the club forward on the field.

Your comments are always welcome and appreciated.

Nuvinho
09-23-2010, 11:52 AM
We have Raivis Useless til 2011? yikes!!!

ag futbol
09-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Well the important thing is whether these contracts are guaranteed on not.

MLS put an end to players being cut intra-season (which is a good thing overall) but year to year you can still chop down someone who don't want.

ecospice
09-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Does anyone have an idea of what TFC's financial situation is looking like for 2011.

I remember at the start of 2010 we had our hands tied due to money being tied up in players that didn't play for us anymore.

would be interesting to see where we sit for the off season.

TFC has lots of $$$. Case in point: increase in SSH prices next year.

bgnewf
09-23-2010, 05:53 PM
TFC has lots of $$$. Case in point: increase in SSH prices next year.

due respect, I think he was referring to the salary cap.

ArmenJBX
09-23-2010, 05:56 PM
In terms of salary cap, we have a lot of room to maneuver with, no more Robbo salary for one thing.

It should be enough to BUY SOME WINGERS!

Beach_Red
09-23-2010, 06:50 PM
due respect, I think he was referring to the salary cap.

I'm starting to think the salary cap is a scam, an excuse not to spend money. With the mystery of allocation money and the ever-increasing number of DPs allowed every time a big club wants to spend more money I'm sure if a company as rich as MLSE wanted to spend more money MLS would find a way to let them. They always find a way to let LA or New York spend more if they want to.

ArmenJBX
09-23-2010, 07:01 PM
No salary cap would definately benefit Toronto FC more then other teams.

Beach_Red
09-23-2010, 07:21 PM
No salary cap would definately benefit Toronto FC more then other teams.

Not necessarily, only if they wanted to spend.

You have to see the salary cap the same as a Canadian content regulation for TV or the music industry, it's not so much a maximum that can be spent it's more like a minimum that has to be spent.

Glenchen29
09-23-2010, 07:24 PM
We were spoiled with Brennan so Hscanovics had big shoes to fill, he is consistent a hard worker and plays well with Cann. I'd get rid of Uselessov the Russian before him!

Stryker
09-23-2010, 09:20 PM

First Harden was as good as Attakora and now you wanna trade the cornerstone of our team for MLS draft picks?
Your posts this week are quickly reaching "mightytfc" type levels of absurdity.

babone
09-29-2010, 09:16 AM
I think you need to wipe the slate clean De Ro must go.

Section 117
09-29-2010, 09:20 AM
JPA is a free agent at the end of the year and I don't think he is going to resign with the Red Bulls...

He should be priority # 1

jloome
10-05-2010, 04:13 PM
We were spoiled with Brennan so Hscanovics had big shoes to fill, he is consistent a hard worker and plays well with Cann. I'd get rid of Uselessov the Russian before him!

Hscanovic can't mark for shit. It's his biggest weakness. Carries the ball well and reads the field well. I'd move him to winger or as a backup fullback at best, unless they can dramatically improve his marking.

And he's overpaid for his contribution level by some margin.

Nuvinho
10-05-2010, 04:18 PM
JPA is a free agent at the end of the year and I don't think he is going to resign with the Red Bulls...

EXACTLY!!!

He could be acquired probably for a 2nd round pick (Freddie was traded for that I think).

BS1327
10-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Don't we have several picks in the 3rd round next year?
There's the team right there:facepalm:

Sullivan
10-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Don't we have several picks in the 3rd round next year?

As I posted in the Robbo thread, TFC has six picks in the upcoming draft, which is on Thursday January 13, 2011, 2:00 PM, in Baltimore (4 those who R interested :D).

As at the current standings (today), we hold the 9th pick, round 1.
so...
Round 1, natural pick, 9th,
Round 2, natural pick, 27th,
Round 3, natural pick (36th) traded to Colorado for Harden
Round 3, Houston's pick received for Serioux, 42nd
Round 3, Colorado's pick received for Wynne, 48th
Round 4, natural pick, 63rd
Round 4, New York's pick received for Robinson, 69th.

ArmenJBX
10-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Nice, we have a lot of trade bait there.
Take the 9th pick for ourselves, give away 2, 3,3, and 4,4,. Keep another 3rd rounder, and then loan him out if he's not quite up to scratch, otherwise, depth. MAKE SURE IT'S A FORWARD/WINGER! :D

Sullivan
10-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Nice, we have a lot of trade bait there.
Take the 9th pick for ourselves, give away 2, 3,3, and 4,4,. Keep another 3rd rounder, and then loan him out if he's not quite up to scratch, otherwise, depth. MAKE SURE IT'S A FORWARD/WINGER! :D

Keep picks 9 & 27: Draft players who have some versatility (M/D), who can play wide - NCAA tends to "breed" better defenders and non-attcking mids more so than attacking mids and forwards. Stick with what NCAA programs do best, add depth with these picks, especially with mid to late first round picks. Trade the remaining picks for established and proven MLS players, address deficiencies with experience.

Grab a poacher via free agency (MLS) or free transfer.

I suggest keeping the first 2 picks because this year's Gen A list is rumoured to be the biggest to date, say 15-18 players. MLS already have their first Gen A signing. Also, this year's draft will be very balanced in terms of quality players who can defend, and players that can go forward, it's got some depth. Tim Regan is already tracking a few players, mostly from ACC teams, mostly because he lives in North Carolina and I think he's just finishing or has just finished his Master's.

FYI ...
The first Gen A player is Texas native Omar Salgado, a 16 yr old forward who stands 6'4, 170 and plays on the US u20. He left Chivas de Guadalajara, he was part of the Mexico u20 program (his parents are Mexican). What's interesting is both Vancouver and Portland have an interest in him. Because he is u18, his loan to the Whitecaps was shelved, so now he's training with Portland. Regardless, he won't fall to 9th, or 8th.

Another comment is TFC have to invest in expanding the scouting program. 1 man isn't enough and relying on the NCAA coaches to evaluate and refer players to the MLS is a joke.

TFCRegina
10-05-2010, 07:27 PM
^ Its interesting that DeRo is making $375 base. $25K more and he's a DP.

For the amount of work that he puts onto the field, the captaincy, the promotion our squad gets from simply having him on the team; he's totally worth the extra $25K. He's our living legend, bump up his pay.

Actually a DP's cap hit is only 325k. De Ro would be better for us if he's a DP. He'd hit the cap less.

[NBF]
10-05-2010, 10:12 PM

Juan Pablo Angel: I think I hinted at not signing a striker thats a burden for the rest of the team, meaning why put out 11 players and watch the team play like they're a man down?

Raivis Hscanovics: Personally I prefer going forward with Gala as the back up left midfielder. If Raivis knew how to mark he would be an option as a defender, but I think if he stays he needs to be a better marker as a defender or be switched to a defensive midfielder role. If you're a fan of Italian football, you remember that Andrea Pirlo was let go by Inter Milan because he wasnt good at tackling. Everyone knows how that turned out.

Oldtimer
10-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Here are Ben Knight's picks on who to keep:

http://onwardsoccer.com/?p=2179

The surprise one for me: Maicon Santos.

jabbronies
10-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Here are Ben Knight's picks on who to keep:

http://onwardsoccer.com/?p=2179

The surprise one for me: Maicon Santos.

I like Santos. I think he's great on the ball. if he had a winger or two to play with, I can see him doing well.

Ben - D.O.W.
10-08-2010, 08:47 AM
I like Ben Knight's list. And I'd definitely include Santos on that list - I think giving him and Barrett more time together and more time healthy can only be a good thing.

There are only two things I differ with Ben on and I'm still kind of on the fence about each - I might decide to keep Harden (for what he's making) and I might not keep JDG (although with his contract possibly not an option). Those would be the only changes I might make - otherwise I think that's a pretty decent core to start with.

Wull
10-08-2010, 09:28 AM
jdg has to go and he's one of the few mistakes I won't blame mo for. I blame the front office for listening to canadian supporters and probably the marketing people too. No Canadian is worth DP money (are you listening DeRo?) and DeRo aside I don't think they'd put many bums in seats or sell many jerseys. Even now you have canadian people on the board talking about paying DP money for a guy who plays in the english 3rd league. We, as a club, have to aim higher in terms of the quality of players we want as our DPs for both on and off field purposes. I want a good team right now, we can worry about it being more Canadian when they start producing better players.

P-NUTZ
10-08-2010, 11:47 AM
peterson is awful.
barret is good.

Sullivan
10-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Should TFC take another run at fullback Kevin Goldwaite.
He signed a contract to finish 2010 with Portland in the USL after the RedBulls released him in August.
Does he want to play for another (San Jose) new expansion franchise (Portland), albeit one close to his hometown. Or
Does he look elsewhere?

netsan
10-17-2010, 07:11 PM
JDG is overpaid and not a game changer... he is not a DP... I would cut him outright and move on...

ilikemusic
10-17-2010, 08:20 PM
I think Knight is being generous. The only players I even consider bringing back are DeRo, Barrett, Frei, Santos, Attakora and maybe Cann. Everybody else is 100% expendable. We dont need to be holding on to solid 'MLS support players' like Gargan and Labrocca because they can be found anywhere. You dont put a premium on supplementary players. And JDG is just useless. It was a nice idea...stupid, but nice; now it would probably be best for him and the team if he just moved on. I have no idea what his contract status is like though. Is TFC even capable of ridding themselves of the deal (apart from MLSE just using their billions to just eat the contract)?

I think the bulk of this franchise has been too negatively impacted by Mo Johnston's slimeball tactics. JDG, and maybe even DeRo (though I fully support the guy) are just aspects of the team that may need to be changed. Throughout the organization, from the players, to the fans, to management, there doesnt seem to be even the slightest bit of trust or cohesion. There hasnt been, well, theres never really been any! From the day John Carver threw Jeff Cunningham under the bus in the 2008 Voyagers Cup, right up to today, the whole franchise has just seemed to be a series of shots being taken back and forth between players, coaches, former players, management and anyone else involved with the team.

When former players keep coming out and commenting on the character of the locker room, or the tone of negotiation youve got to start suspecting something has been wrong for a while. When youve got two very peculiar 'retirements' in such a short period of time, and both players wind up on the company dole right away you have got to suspect something isnt right. When the team MVP feels compelled to blemish his reputation in his home town in order to get his message across to management, you have got to think there is a serious breakdown of communication somewhere.

I just wonder if it isnt too late. I think the Bills in Toronto series proved that the Toronto sports consumer is not as dumb as MLSE or Rogers would like to think. We are willing to pay, but when the gouging becomes that overt, it is almost as if the sports fan will turn on the product. If the Bills in Toronto tickets were priced from, lets say 40-150 bucks right off the bat, with none of those insane 5 year ticket plans, I think they would be moving quite well and nobody would be laughing at the venture. People said, "you tried to rip me off so I dont care what you charge now, I dont want to go".

And frankly I think gouging the fans is insulting to the players wearing the shirt. MLSE is pulling in Premiership type revenues and the players out there performing see but a mere fraction of that.

edit: everything after the second paragraph is just rant unrelated specifically to the topic :lol:

nfitz
10-17-2010, 08:31 PM
MLSE is pulling in Premiership type revenuesWe are no where near Premiership revenues. Our prices are lower that most clubs, we have far fewer seats, and they get most of their revenue from TV.

Even in Canada, the Premiership has more TV viewers than TFC. And we don't have TV revenues from Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.

ilikemusic
10-18-2010, 01:06 AM
We are no where near Premiership revenues. Our prices are lower that most clubs, we have far fewer seats, and they get most of their revenue from TV.

Even in Canada, the Premiership has more TV viewers than TFC. And we don't have TV revenues from Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.

I was being a little too broad. I meant in terms of ticket sales and local merchandising and such. Obviously its a bit of an exaggeration, but the point stands that they are brining in way more money than they are spending on players (though with dwindling renewals that may not be the case for long).

Shakes McQueen
10-18-2010, 02:02 AM
I just wonder if it isnt too late. I think the Bills in Toronto series proved that the Toronto sports consumer is not as dumb as MLSE or Rogers would like to think. We are willing to pay, but when the gouging becomes that overt, it is almost as if the sports fan will turn on the product. If the Bills in Toronto tickets were priced from, lets say 40-150 bucks right off the bat, with none of those insane 5 year ticket plans, I think they would be moving quite well and nobody would be laughing at the venture. People said, "you tried to rip me off so I dont care what you charge now, I dont want to go".

I'm not sure how applicable this analogy is. I think the relative failure of the "Bills in Toronto" thing had more to do with not understanding that there are lots of Canadian NFL fans, not lots of Canadian Buffalo Bills fans.

I also think it was hurt by the fact that the Bills are an abysmal football team, so even the basic "spectacle" of going to an NFL game is kind of ruined. People pay to see the Harlem Globetrotters, not the Washington Generals.

- Scott

woolly
10-18-2010, 01:50 PM
I realise that this is a mere pipe dream, but MLSE has the dollars:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/876918--united-says-rooney-won-t-be-sold-amid-reports-he-wants-out

IF MLSE is serious about keeping the house full and winning games, they could do far, far worse than making a play for someone of Beckham's or Thierry's caliber. Sure the cost outlay would be tremendous, but the ROI in shirts and bums in seats would be tremendous.

Or they could DP another middle tier player with little impact to the bottom line (either way) or the scoreline.

flatpicker
10-18-2010, 01:55 PM
ummm... I think that may be more dollars than MLSE is willing to spend.
The transfer fee alone could be double the entire payroll of the Toronto Maple Leafs!

Azerban
no grannyfuckers

prizby
or Wayne Rooney could turn out to be a Patrick Kluivert

i believe the MLS has a policy of no transfer fees paid for players

flatpicker
10-18-2010, 01:57 PM

Really?
That seems kinda ridiculous.

Azerban
10-18-2010, 01:57 PM
]i believe the MLS has a policy of no transfer fees paid for players

no, the fee just acts as a hit to the cap, split over the length of the contract

woolly
10-18-2010, 01:59 PM

MLS policy has proven to be a rather elastic document.

Like I said, it's wishful thinking.

flatpicker
10-18-2010, 02:00 PM
no, the fee just acts as a hit to the cap, split over the length of the contract

So no $100M transfer fee for Rooney then?
:D

Azerban
10-18-2010, 02:05 PM
So no $100M transfer fee for Rooney then?
:D

can he play til 2211?

Azerban
10-18-2010, 02:06 PM
also no grannyfuckers

woolly
10-18-2010, 03:50 PM
also no grannyfuckers

The point being that MLSE will have to dip deep into their pocketbooks to hire a marquee player when the opportunity arises a la NYRG/ LAG.

But if they do, it will pay dividends to turn the perception of the team around.

On the other hand, if they insist on shopping Euro players as they have done in the past, Rooney would sell shirts Grannyfucker or not.

Wull
10-19-2010, 11:01 AM
also no grannyfuckers

^^This

If he ever comes here (maybe when he's 35) I'll be shifting my season ticket

Belfast_Boy
10-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Anybody here this guys name used when talking GM?

http://capetownpartnership.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/article_CPS.HXN34.110108181946.photo00.photo_.defa ult-512x369.jpg

69Chevy396
10-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Rooney signed with ManU today so that ain't happening soon.

TFC has had a lot of bad luck. They missed out last season because of one bad game, the team that won the championship was worse than TFC most of the year.

New England and DC United, perennial winners in MLS were shit most of the year.

Red bulls were crap,now they are as good as anybody.

MLS is not a top flight league. Once MLSE gets its management solidified, and lets face it, as long as Mo was around, they were in trouble, the team will improve. It won't take long, and I don't think it is prudent for them to dump as many players as has been indicated here.

JDG cannot be blamed for not scoring goals in MLS. He has never scored goals, that is not his job. In order to flourish, he needs a few decent wide outlets with pace and decent distribution skills. That is one area the team can improve upon, and if that happens, a loser could quickly become a winner...it won't take much, this is not the same as building a team in serie A or La Liga....it is mls.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-22-2010, 05:12 PM
or Wayne Rooney could turn out to be a Patrick Kluivert

I'm not sure of the details, in terms of the salary structure, but MLS teams do pay transfer fees. TFC paid nominal fees (I think in the 20k range) for Sanyang and Gomes. DCU paid something like 100k for Emilio.

DichioTFC
10-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Anybody here this guys name used when talking GM?

lolll you're kidding me right? We're not getting him. We need to be realistic with our expectations.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-22-2010, 07:06 PM
^ There was the suggestion that he might be in the consultant mix.

ArmenJBX
10-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Keep:

Stefan Frei
Milos Kocic
Jon Conway
Dan Gargan
Doneil Henry
Nana Attakora
Adrian Cann
Ty Harden
Nick LaBrocca
Jacob Peterson
Julian de Guzman
Dwayne De Rosario
Nicolas Lindsay
Chad Barrett
Maicon Santos

Sign:

ASHTON MORGAN
Michael Harrington/Tim Ward
Ante Jazic
Brain Mullan
Will Johnson
Juan Pablo Angel
Nate Jaqua

----------------------Frei-----------------------
-Gargan------Nana-----------Cann----Harrington-
--------------------de Guzman------------------
--Johnson----------------------------Lindsay----
--------------------De Rosario-------------------
--------Barrett/Maicon--------JPA----------------

TFC USA
10-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Sexy signing ideas Jimmy but I'm done with JDG. He's beyond useless and I don't want him around anymore.

ArmenJBX
10-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Julian de Guzman's only flaw is that he is doing the job of those around him. You see it all the time. His style with Depor was get the ball, pass it off, get the ball, pass it off.

Here, he's doing a "Get the ball, go around defender, envision a long pass, create with no tactics set, execute."

TFC USA
10-22-2010, 09:05 PM
He's completely incapable of passing and it has nothing to do with his teammates.

And while I know he's a Defensive Mid I think Nick Garcia has come closer to scoring than JDG.

Wull
10-22-2010, 09:14 PM
I'd rather have a DM that doesn't shite out of tackles or get dumped on his ass so much (preferably playing simple passes to teammates better at creating something too)

TFC/Everton
10-22-2010, 09:42 PM
JDG is overpaid and not a game changer... he is not a DP... I would cut him outright and move on...

I agree 100%

ArmenJBX
10-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Well as disappointing as he's been, he's not the worst midfielder in this league.

He needs to grow some balls and make those tackles though. He does shy away or seem disinterested, he's gotta throw himself at attackers.

TFC/Everton
10-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Honestly, the only players I would keep (outside of the academy players we signed) are Santos, Frei, Cann, Nana. Start Fresh. Sign a south american DP striker. With Lindsay playing the wing and Santos and a DP striker up front, we might actually be able to score some goals.

Dero is to dumb to be a leader, I mean come on, has anyone heard the guy speak? I know he is Canadian and blah blah blah, but his style of play is awful.

Like Mo before him, this Dero must go

Thrillos
10-27-2010, 09:50 AM
I think one thing they should be working on as well as to what they say they are going to be working on in the presser yesterday is getting in contact with JPA. Its well documented that Red Bulls don't want him back next year and that he is obviously looking for a new team. I think he should be our main target, and that any new GM that comes in would have to agree after some research into him.

The new GM can work on bringing in our wingers and full backs as I see these as the places we need new talent in, the wide players. With JPA the middle of the pitch is set,

JPA
Winger/Santos -- Dero -- Winger/Barret
Gargan -- Deguz
Full Back -- Attakora -- Cann -- Full Back

And yes I see Gargan as a good player to play in a DM beside Deguz, as Deguz is the deep lying playmaker (ie. Xabi Alonso) and Gargan is the workhorse that breaks up opposing attacks (ie. Gattuso) I am not comparing them to the players themselves but to the style of play.

Also, if we can't lure JPA here, I just read that Roque Santa Cruz wants out of Man City, depending on his contract expiring time he could fill that lone striker role well.

H Bomb
10-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Yes to JPA, even if he is ex villa. No to Gargan starting in the midfield of our team.

__wowza
10-27-2010, 10:00 AM
with a decent set of wingers and an incredible playmaker, i can see a lone striker working. you need creativity though, someone who can see chances where there are no chances and feed balls to an out-and-out striker (adebayor would be my comparative) and i really doubt that anyone on the current squad, sans JDG, has that ability.

santos i could also see working out as a playmaker in that role because he's so fucking brazilian. dero/barrett would rather take pot shots at the net.

Oldtimer
10-27-2010, 10:06 AM
with a decent set of wingers and an incredible playmaker, i can see a lone striker working. you need creativity though, someone who can see chances where there are no chances and feed balls to an out-and-out striker (adebayor would be my comparative) and i really doubt that anyone on the current squad, sans JDG, has that ability.

santos i could also see working out as a playmaker in that role because he's so fucking brazilian. dero/barrett would rather take pot shots at the net.

For it to work, you'd need a true #10 to link JDG with Angel. Is Guevara available now that Preki is gone? He loved Toronto.

Thrillos
10-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Barrett was used as a winger a few times this season and his crosses were actually decent. which was nice to see as his finishing is not alwasy there. The key to the above formatino is workrate in the wingers to get back and forth, Santos I don't see being able to do that, but Barrett would fit that role to a T in my opinion.

I agree with Gargan not a starting there, but I tried to use the players that are likely staying and will be the core next year, which I took as those in the press conference yesterday.

I don't think we should use the same formation everygame, as it become easy for other teams to learn to counter it. which is what happened under preki when the wheels came off our season, everyone realized clogging the middle destroyed our outlet from our defensive shell.

I just think this could be a usefull formation to employ. I still see Maicon as a striker and not a winger, just brainstorming some formation ideas.

__wowza
10-27-2010, 10:10 AM
For it to work, you'd need a true #10 to link JDG with Angel. Is Guevara available now that Preki is gone? He loved Toronto.

guevara didn't have "it". whatever "it" is.
i think as a lone striker santos would hold up better.

Thrillos
10-27-2010, 10:13 AM
I would still prefer JPA, but I still want Santos in the team, especially if we resign him for around the same amount as his previous contract.

DangerRed
10-27-2010, 10:18 AM

He may have loved Toronto, but he only sometimes felt like playing for Toronto FC.

fetajr
10-27-2010, 11:04 AM
release everyone and start over again. Start with 4 Argentinians from Primera division, 2 midfielders and 2 forwards.

Thrillos
10-27-2010, 11:11 AM
release everyone and start over again. Start with 4 Argentinians from Primera division, 2 midfielders and 2 forwards.

I really hope your joking, cause thats a horrible idea

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Before i read the rest of the comments, it should be noted that Santa Cruz who would be a coup signing, wants to play in Spain before he retires. Maybe after that...

Shakes McQueen
10-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Roque Santa Cruz! LOL!!!!

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2010, 11:42 AM

- Scott

yeah pretty much :(

Thrillos
10-27-2010, 11:46 AM

- Scott

Because we can't get him or you don't think he is good???

prizby
10-27-2010, 12:07 PM
I think one thing they should be working on as well as to what they say they are going to be working on in the presser yesterday is getting in contact with JPA. Its well documented that Red Bulls don't want him back next year and that he is obviously looking for a new team. I think he should be our main target, and that any new GM that comes in would have to agree after some research into him.

The new GM can work on bringing in our wingers and full backs as I see these as the places we need new talent in, the wide players. With JPA the middle of the pitch is set,

JPA
Winger/Santos -- Dero -- Winger/Barret
Gargan -- Deguz
Full Back -- Attakora -- Cann -- Full Back

And yes I see Gargan as a good player to play in a DM beside Deguz, as Deguz is the deep lying playmaker (ie. Xabi Alonso) and Gargan is the workhorse that breaks up opposing attacks (ie. Gattuso) I am not comparing them to the players themselves but to the style of play.

Also, if we can't lure JPA here, I just read that Roque Santa Cruz wants out of Man City, depending on his contract expiring time he could fill that lone striker role well.

I love how ppl (with 0 managerial experience) are trying to tell Cochrane and Brennan how to do their job without even thinking whether they might be a good fit on this team. Not everyone will work out

Please find me a 'document' that says NYRB want him out...you made a claim (from rumours) backed up with 0 bits of evidence.

Did you forget to read that Santa Cruz wants to play in Spain while you were reading that he wanted out of City?

Back to the whole JPA coming to TFC...is a 35 year old someone you want to build your team around?

JPA numbers the past few years:

2007: 0.79 goals per game
2008: 0.61 gpg (when he was DeRo's age)
2009: 0.48 gpg
2010: 0.43 gpg

factor in, outside of DeRo, people who are goal scorers have the inability to score in Toronto (ala Conor Casey, Edson Buddle, Jeff Cunningham, Ali Gerba, Carlos Ruiz, Pablo Vitti, Mista)...I bet you buy June you will be the same person complaining about TFC wasting DP money on a guy who cannot score. Also factor in that this year was the first year in the MLS that he was injury free.

JPA and any 30 year old + is not the answer for a DP for TFC...everyone seems to think aging relics are best for Toronto

Thrillos
10-27-2010, 12:15 PM
I love how ppl (with 0 managerial experience) are trying to tell Cochrane and Brennan how to do their job without even thinking whether they might be a good fit on this team. Not everyone will work out

Please find me a 'document' that says NYRB want him out...you made a claim (from rumours) backed up with 0 bits of evidence.

Did you forget to read that Santa Cruz wants to play in Spain while you were reading that he wanted out of City?

Back to the whole JPA coming to TFC...is a 35 year old someone you want to build your team around?

factor in, outside of DeRo, people who are goal scorers have the inability to score in Toronto (ala Conor Casey, Edson Buddle, Jeff Cunningham, Ali Gerba, Carlos Ruiz, Pablo Vitti, Mista)...I bet you buy June you will be the same person complaining about TFC wasting DP money on a guy who cannot score. Also factor in that this year was the first year in the MLS that he was injury free.

JPA and any 30 year old + is not the answer for a DP for TFC...everyone seems to think aging relics are best for Toronto

First of all you saying I have no managerial experience is the same as me saying you have no managerial experience. The point being I have no clue if you do and you have no clue if I do, so get your facts straight.

2nd of all my facts are straight

http://zipsport.com/wordpress/?p=769

3rd of all you just naming past strikers for examples of non goal scorers in toronto are not facts. There are many reasons attributing to them not scoring, the most important reason of all is that our coaching was not satisfactory while most of who you named were here. We were not playing to the strengths of the players we had at the time.

4th of all, look at the posts I have made, I am the one backing our 2 dp's in Mista and Deguz. Mista was our most underated, underused player for the second half of the season.

5th JPA still hovers around .5 GPA which is still a great strike rate for any striker in any league

6th I just read it 3 minutes before posting that he wanted out, didn't do a comlete backround check on the guys opinions on life, I specfically stated a brainstormiing idea so get off my back.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2010, 12:17 PM

Yep agree with the statement above

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2010, 12:19 PM
can i see this article about wanting out and staying in the MLS?
In the past he said he wanted to play for RIver Plate before he retires completely as its his fav team and has family working there.

Thrillos
10-27-2010, 12:23 PM
I just posted the article saying he wont' be returning to New York in my previous post, scroll up

prizby
10-27-2010, 12:31 PM
First of all you saying I have no managerial experience is the same as me saying you have no managerial experience. The point being I have no clue if you do and you have no clue if I do, so get your facts straight.

2nd of all my facts are straight

http://zipsport.com/wordpress/?p=769

3rd of all you just naming past strikers for examples of non goal scorers in toronto are not facts. There are many reasons attributing to them not scoring, the most important reason of all is that our coaching was not satisfactory while most of who you named were here. We were not playing to the strengths of the players we had at the time.

4th of all, look at the posts I have made, I am the one backing our 2 dp's in Mista and Deguz. Mista was our most underated, underused player for the second half of the season.

5th JPA still hovers around .5 GPA which is still a great strike rate for any striker in any league

6th I just read it 3 minutes before posting that he wanted out, didn't do a comlete backround check on the guys opinions on life, I specfically stated a brainstormiing idea so get off my back.

I have never said that this is how it should be done in terms of who we should sign

2 - remember when Wayne Rooney said he wanted out of ManU...

3 - so why not wait until the people that will make the decisions ie. new gm/coach are in place and see what they want

4 - Mista was misused just like vitti was...same story, different name

5 - hovering around 0.5? It has been decreasing every year, not to mention he has had past injury issues...we want another Mista that takes a pay cheque and sits injured?

Thrillos
10-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Rooney wanted a better team around him and he himself said he wanted out where as JPA said he wanted to stay but was told by the team they would not be resigning him, most likely due to their allocation dissapearing at the end of this season.

I never said they should make the decisions I stated I said in my first post that it was a beginning point for brainstorming ideas of DP's

We agree on the misused part it seems

Remember 3 years ago when people said Del Piero wasn't scoring as much and that his age is an issue. His response was to for the last three years score some of there most pivitol goals and starts fairly regularly this season at the ripe age of 35 (36 in 2 weeks) on a team that is in the top of Serie A

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Sure, he doesnt want to stick around but once again, WHY?

http://www.southamericanfutbol.com/2010/04/transfers-angel-keen-on-river-return/

he is hoping to be provided with a greater challenge than MLS can offer before announcing his retirement.

J .
10-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Mista was shit. How people defend him is beyoned me. He hasnt produced in several seasons, here or in Spain. He is a typical player with an inflated sense of entitlement.

Back on topic...

Where our team will be adding is on the wings, regardless of the system we implement, our youth players are not ready to start. Our strength this season, when we were winning, was the ability to control the centre of the park and shut down the areas around the box. We lost because we had no outside speed and no players who can attack from a wide position. That left our fullbacks getting run at and they were unable to handle it.

Section 117
10-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Prizby - JPA is a free agent at the end of the year. He had been rumoured to be coming to Toronto as early as two years ago, but some red headed drunk try to low ball him by from what I have heard.

Thrillos
10-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Prizby - JPA is a free agent at the end of the year. He had been rumoured to be coming to Toronto as early as two years ago, but some red headed drunk try to low ball him by from what I have heard.

Finally that red headed drunk is gone, bring JPA to TFC

TFC OZZ
10-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Mista was shit. How people defend him is beyoned me. He hasnt produced in several seasons, here or in Spain. He is a typical player with an inflated sense of entitlement.

Yup, I'd have to stand behind that.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2010, 01:45 PM
looks like hes on the bench right now at Dallas.
Love to have him on the wing.
How much is this kid making?

Feel free to move this to whatever thread has players etc.

Thrillos
10-27-2010, 01:45 PM
He didn't produce here or in the end of his career in spain because he was misused, the difference between a good coach and a great coach is how to use the players they have in the places that suit those players. Benitez (although I dont' like him) used Mista properly.

prizby
10-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Finally that red headed drunk is gone, bring JPA to TFC

why are we insisting on bring in old ppl

we should be aiming a lot higher than that

Sonny Cheeba
10-27-2010, 02:54 PM
why are we insisting on bring in old ppl

we should be aiming a lot higher than that

because we can use him. that's why.

doesn't matter if he's old. we're not going to get Jack Wilshire or some other pubeless gem.

so we should go after someone who would definitely help us, and JPA would. no doubt.

H Bomb
10-27-2010, 02:55 PM
I'd rather have a great old player than a good young one.

ArmenJBX
10-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Juan Pablo Angel
Michael Harrington
Jair Benitez
Will Johnson
Brian Mullen
Brian Carroll

We sign these guys, we're good to go for next season.

Whoop
10-27-2010, 03:09 PM

Sign him up. LOL

http://www.sportressofblogitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/diego-maradona.jpg

prizby
10-27-2010, 03:28 PM
because we can use him. that's why.

doesn't matter if he's old. we're not going to get Jack Wilshire or some other pubeless gem.

so we should go after someone who would definitely help us, and JPA would. no doubt.

yeah lets go after JPA...especially since his goals per game has been decreasing every single year...a guy who has had injury problems 3 of the last 4 years...you guys will be the same ppl complaining next year asking why did we sign him

doesn't matter if he's old?
Laurent Robert
Olivier Tebily

i'd rather have an improving, healthy young player, than a injury prone, decreasing ability old player

Sonny Cheeba
10-27-2010, 03:53 PM
i don't see anyone mentioning him as a DP but you. anyways. if that was the case, then sure. maybe go after someone a couple of years younger. but i don't think we can get anyone young and talented that would be of any real use here.

HOWEVER. i don't see why we shouldn't attempt to go after JPA. he'd definitely be an asset to our team, especially with DeRo behind him.

winning is our priority right now. we were building for the past 4 years. nows the time to just spend money on someone who can help in the short term. if the team continues to play like shit, lose fans and general interest. then how can we attract any young and useful players of DP-status? actually, i don't think we can at all. and i wouldn't bother, unless they got kicked out of their league for banging prostitutes in the middle of a game.

i would've kept Robert had he not left to be with his fam.

this isn't a league for young hopefuls unless they're on their way out. Casey and Cunningham score elsewhere sure. but they're just good MLS players, not stars or DP's IMO.

who would you go after as a DP then?

nothing wrong with old players. especially ones who are proven, despite scoring less. i don't give a shit. he's a better option than OBW.

edit: err i meant Tebily not Robert.

Kooper
10-27-2010, 04:30 PM

That has worked for the Maple Leafs all these years. Oh wait, nevermind.

prizby
10-27-2010, 04:37 PM
tebily falls under

i'd build the squad with players that are looking to have regular playing time that don't get it in other leagues and then I would look at DPs in the summer market as I don't think there really is anything out there in the market at the moment.

ExiledRed
10-27-2010, 04:38 PM
y
doesn't matter if he's old?
Laurent Robert
Olivier Tebily

Tebily was one of the most accomplished and yet underutilised players we've ever had on the pitch. His age was definitely not a problem.

Similarly, Robert's issues werent age, he just didnt care.

Beach_Red
10-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Tebily was one of the most accomplished and yet underutilised players we've ever had on the pitch. His age was definitely not a problem.

Did Tebily ever play again after TFC? Robert went to play in Greece, didn't he?

ExiledRed
10-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Did Tebily ever play again after TFC? Robert went to play in Greece, didn't he?

Robert left Larissa and is now either retired or looking for work in saudi arabia or something.

Tebily doesnt look like he went anywhere after us.

Sonny Cheeba
10-27-2010, 04:57 PM
yeah Tebily went back to France to be with his fam.... hasn't done fuck all since.

Prizby, we've already got a squad of players who wouldn't start in other leagues. we just need that extra person, like JPA, for a short time.

and we need to get rid of Mista.

alex andrew
10-27-2010, 05:02 PM
and with all due respect, de guzman.

jloome
10-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Mods, please change deceptive subject title to "Sign JPA thread continued" or "Anotherr thread about signing JPA."

This is obviously someone selling their hard belief in the guise of a new issue. This was hashed out in another thread just a few days ago and there isn't anything new in the two pages here.

Merlin
10-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Please, cut him. Trade him for a corner pole, or new mesh (I'm not even sure we'll get that much for him). How has this guy been getting minutes? How is he still on the team when he has no skill, no pace, and can't win a ball in the air? When he comes on the field... :picard:

Redpunkfiddle
10-27-2010, 10:10 PM
A facepalm looking for a post....

kodiakTFC
10-27-2010, 10:13 PM
If he comes cheap against the cap we could just throw him on the reserves for a couple years but other then that I agree.

James17930
10-27-2010, 10:17 PM
:seeya:

prizby
10-27-2010, 10:27 PM
congrats, this about 100th different post saying this...what else is new

next time add commentary here:

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=24621

Yohan
10-27-2010, 10:53 PM
santos i could also see working out as a playmaker in that role because he's so fucking brazilian.
just what does this mean? because Santos is brazillian, he has all the qualities of a good playmaker? lol

prizby
10-27-2010, 10:55 PM

yeah Tebily went back to France to be with his fam.... hasn't done fuck all since.

Prizby, we've already got a squad of players who wouldn't start in other leagues. we just need that extra person, like JPA, for a short time.

and we need to get rid of Mista.

Do you think a 20 year old Laurent Robert wouldn't have cared? Do you think a 25 year old Laurent Robert wouldn't have cared? I can see why a 33 year old wouldn't, but not someone who would have been in the prime of their career...that is most definetely an age thing.

Yes Tebily went back to France to be with his family, but you are going to tell me he was under utilized...the guy had a freakin' ankle problem...4 games in 4.5 months, thats it...the wear and tear on his body caused that, another age related issue

remember in 2009, Dichio had a couple of injury issues

ExiledRed
10-27-2010, 11:01 PM
just what does this mean? because Santos is brazillian, he has all the qualities of a good playmaker? lol

It means that brazilians have a good reputation for creative play and fancy footwork and Santos has displayed that he has those typical qualities.

Does everything have to be read as ignorant?

ExiledRed
10-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Do you think a 20 year old Laurent Robert wouldn't have cared? Do you think a 25 year old Laurent Robert wouldn't have cared? I can see why a 33 year old wouldn't, but not someone who would have been in the prime of their career...that is most definetely an age thing.

Yes Tebily went back to France to be with his family, but you are going to tell me he was under utilized...the guy had a freakin' ankle problem...4 games in 4.5 months, thats it...the wear and tear on his body caused that, another age related issue

remember in 2009, Dichio had a couple of injury issues

Robert didnt care because he realized he was playing for a mickey mouse team on a plastic pitch for a pair of clowns who didnt have full control of the situation. If he was 20 he might have gotten himself kicked off the team much earlier.

As for Tebily's ankle injury, everybody was getting injured on that shit, and Carver was benching him for much worse players even when he was fit. So yes, Im telling you he was underutilised.

I guess Barrett must be 33 too, because he's a sack of injuries an' all.

Dichio's concussion (which isnt age related) kept him out of action in 2008. In 2009 he got benched for Barrett simply because Mo couldnt justify Chad's contract and ridiculous wage and had to play him.

__wowza
10-27-2010, 11:22 PM

i was waiting for someone to call me out on that.:hump:
we have an endless supply of folks who hold when they should pass and pass when they should hold, santos is an exception to this. he's one of the more creative players we have out there and he busts his ass to see chances through.

Whoop
10-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Robert didnt care because he realized he was playing for a mickey mouse team on a plastic pitch for a pair of clowns who didnt have full control of the situation. If he was 20 he might have gotten himself kicked off the team much earlier.

As for Tebily's ankle injury, everybody was getting injured on that shit, and Carver was benching him for much worse players even when he was fit. So yes, Im telling you he was underutilised.

I guess Barrett must be 33 too, because he's a sack of injuries an' all.

Dichio's concussion (which isnt age related) kept him out of action in 2008. In 2009 he got benched for Barrett simply because Mo couldnt justify Chad's contract and ridiculous wage and had to play him.

This.

Besides Robert made a habit of not caring in every stop he made after Newcastle.

Again... find me Joel Lindpere or Dave van den Bergh types. Good, quality players with some international experience and are relative bargains.

Sonny Cheeba
10-27-2010, 11:36 PM
lol i think a 20 year old Robert would've cared EVEN LESS to play for TFC.

FluSH
10-28-2010, 07:03 AM
congrats, this about 100th different post saying this...what else is new

next time add commentary here:

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=24621

Prizby,

relax... it's the OFFSEASON...

Section 117
10-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Teliby is the best defender ever to wear our jersey he had family issues hence going back to France.

The reason JPA is he proven in the MLS, from speaking to many palyers who have played over seas the MLS is a very difficult league to adjust to. The tactics are not on par with most leagues, but it is a lot more aggressive and physical in nature then most leagues. If you look at Vitti as an example when he played against Riverplate in the friendly he played his best game because he had time and there wasn't a guy running at him at 100mph. JDG played argubally his best game against Cruz Azul at home why cause the tactics are more suited to his game than the MLS.

When signing a DP it is never a guarentee they are going to produce you can't take player "x" drop him in the MLS and expect him to dominate. Very few have JPA is one of them. The players we bring in must have a high soccer IQ and be able to handle the physicality of this league

[NBF]
10-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Thats pretty sad that Tebily was our best player, but if we had kept Julius James and Andrew Boyens, we would be just as good as right now. Except we would have Attakora as our Right Back.

Just for some laughs, what about this?

-------------------------------Frei---------------------------
Attakora-----------Boyens-------------James---------Brennan
----------------Cronin-------Serioux------Robinson-----------
-------------------Guevara------------Vitti------------------
-----------------------------Barrett--------------------------

2011: 5-3-2

-------------------------------Frei---------------------------
-----------------Attakora------Cann-----Gomez----------------
-----Gargan----------------------------------------Hscanovics
--------------------DeGuzman------LeBrocca------------------
----------------------------DeRosario-------------------------
-------------------Santos-------------Barrett-----------------

Section 117
10-28-2010, 10:01 AM
NBF he would have been arguably the best defender in the league if it weren't for injuries and his family wanting to go back home. Defenders can adapt a lot quicker than most other postions excluding GK in the MLS.

Wull
10-28-2010, 10:04 AM
the well-deserved nickname of bombscare tends to suggest otherwise. He was a liability at celtic and birmingham and while he didn't play much here, I'd be surprised if those mental lapses suddenly disappeared

rocker
10-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Tebily was light years ahead of Julius James and Andrew Boyens.

Boyens was decent in the air but slow as molasses. James was great in the air but an airhead on the pitch.

Interesting that Boyens and James have played on some of the worst teams in MLS history... yeah, it's a team game, but I don't think that's a coincidence. If an MLS team is regularly starting either of those two, they are in big trouble.

Section 117
10-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Wull it is all realitive he played on teams and in leagues that are a lot higher quality then the MLS. Would he have been better IMO yes, but we will never know

Ultra & Proud
10-28-2010, 12:17 PM
I like the title of this thread "OBW - Moved" in the forum. Seeing that makes me happy.

[NBF]
10-29-2010, 09:14 AM
I like the title of this thread "OBW - Moved" in the forum. Seeing that makes me happy.

I think we have gotten a bit distracted in this thread from the original topic.

http://nuweb.neu.edu/itc1240/images/reset.jpg

TOPIC:

*GM= Lets get a Canadian with experience in coaching and management in soccer. Collin Miller and Paul Peschisolido are the top two candidates that come to mind.

* Head Coach= I like Nick Dasovic for a head coach, he might have some inexperience at the club level, but he wants the job for the long term and has playing experience and coaching experience with the national team.

* Roster= Lets keep only the better players on the team and release the rest:

------------------------------Frei----------------------------
----------------------------Conway--------------------------
-----------------------------Kosic---------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
Gargan-----------Attakora------------Cann------------Vacant
Henry------------Vacant-------------Gomez-------Hscanovics
Vacant----------DeGuzman----------DeRosario---------Vacant
Ibrahim----------Sanyang-----------LeBrocca------------Gala
-----------------Santos-------------Vacant-----------------
----------------O.B. White----------Lindsay------------------

*Draft Plan: Build from the back to front.

*Draft Priority: 1. Centre Back, 2. Left Back, 3. Left Winger, 4. Right Winger, 5. Striker- Flexible and Willing to play on left or right wing, 6. Goalkeeper- looking for a backup.

TFC07
10-29-2010, 01:42 PM
;1159518']I think we have gotten a bit distracted in this thread from the original topic.

http://nuweb.neu.edu/itc1240/images/reset.jpg

TOPIC:

*GM= Lets get a Canadian with experience in coaching and management in soccer. Collin Miller and Paul Peschisolido are the top two candidates that come to mind.

* Head Coach= I like Nick Dasovic for a head coach, he might have some inexperience at the club level, but he wants the job for the long term and has playing experience and coaching experience with the national team.

* Roster= Lets keep only the better players on the team and release the rest:

Henry------------Vacant-------------Gomez-------Hscanovics
Vacant----------DeGuzman----------DeRosario---------Vacant

*Draft Plan: Build from the back to front.

*Draft Priority: 1. Centre Back, 2. Left Back, 3. Left Winger, 4. Right Winger, 5. Striker- Flexible and Willing to play on left or right wing, 6. Goalkeeper- looking for a backup.

You would keep White, Ibrahim, Gala and Hscanovics? Also I move DeRo up on your formation (play him as a striker) and keep Lindsay as a winger. Henry better not be our back up half back. He's a CB! We need to get rid of deadweight on this team ASAP!

Derko
10-29-2010, 02:06 PM

I do agree, but JDGwhile has the ability, is in the wrong league, I don't see play coming through the midfield in the MLS, play comes out from defenders to wing and then back in to forwards, just the way I see t, also the thing I like about Santos, is he is about the only Brazilian I have seen actually chase down a ball,lol, in honesty I think he works and manufactures the goals he has scored, I'd keep him in a heartbeat, Barrett is becoming very injury prone, but I think his coaches, Preki/MoJo, brought him back too early to try and save thier own skins!!

kuku
10-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Hi everyone,

Take this for what its worth. I was down at the local sports talk station this afternoon. I was speaking with one of the on air personalities and he said TFC is in negotiations with Jurgen Klinsmen to be their new head of soccer operations.

moralis
10-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi Kuku,

Are you serious that TFC management are looking at Klinsmen for GM. Don't BS. What more do you know.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Consultant, not GM
http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=25214

prizby
10-29-2010, 03:15 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-turns-to-klinsmann/article1778410/

Technorgasm
10-29-2010, 03:36 PM
;1131414']Why would you want to keep Barrett, Harden, Peterson, and Joseph????

Barrett: I think O.B.White and Santos are better players and more valuable to the team. He won't get better next season or any season from here on out. He's a shit striker and an even worse winger.

Someone has been drinking the koolaid.
Chad scored 7 goals thsi year, and with his legnthy injuries he could have easily scored doubel that. .

3 of those were game winners.

OBW is shite. dump him now. or keep him for filler purposes only. when our super star DP needs a rest.

prizby
10-30-2010, 10:38 AM
just gonna throw an idea outhere...

Antonio Cassano anyone

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-sampdoria-cassano

Ossington Mental Youth
10-30-2010, 05:37 PM
i wish

DoubleUp
11-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Andres vasquez: I would like to see a kid like this brought to Tfc on Barrett wages or atleast on trial next season. I dont think he is currently playing right now but he is young enough and I believe talented enough to raise the level of the squad and he is far from retirement age.

ag futbol
11-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Andres vasquez: I would like to see a kid like this brought to Tfc on Barrett wages or atleast on trial next season. I dont think he is currently playing right now but he is young enough and I believe talented enough to raise the level of the squad and he is far from retirement age.

Anyone see this? WTF?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltEaUSTiIZQ

prizby
11-04-2010, 01:09 AM
^who hasn't...he does one amazing play and he is automatically tfc quality?

Brooker
11-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Paul Peschisolido? I'd love it but I can't see him leaving Burton or England right now.

DoubleUp
11-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Please tell me what TFc quality is.:noidea:

secondly the kid is only 23 and if we can get him on Barrett salary or atleast call him for a trial, I dont think that would hurt at all. This is the type of younger Player we can lure away from europe and not have to give him Dp spot to do it. I knew somebody would mention the trick and think that is the sole reason for wanting to bring him here, when obviously he has ability, is young, and currently not playing football in europe, and also rejected a call up to Peru. Perfect Canidate in my books to not eat up the cap and give the team more ability.

ag futbol
11-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Funny, I don't remember stating that anywhere.

secondly the kid is only 23 and if we can get him on Barrett salary or atleast call him for a trial seems unlikely but hey I like your line of thinking. Try bringing in a player that's in the early stages of his career with upside. I think in general you're better off trying to find that guy outside of europe.

But one thing i will point out (and bash Mo Johnston for) is relying on trials so much. Some guys just won't (sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad). But I just wanted to point out you can't always test run a guy in camp.

DoubleUp
11-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Funny, I don't remember stating that anywhere.

seems unlikely but hey I like your line of thinking. Try bringing in a player that's in the early stages of his career with upside. I think in general you're better off trying to find that guy outside of europe.

But one thing i will point out (and bash Mo Johnston for) is relying on trials so much. Some guys just won't (sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad). But I just wanted to point out you can't always test run a guy in camp.

Only reason I mentioned him is because he is unattached at the moment and is young and clearly has skill to be taken into consideration.

David_Oliveira
11-04-2010, 10:38 PM
We should team up with an Ajax or a Sporting who have probably the best academies in Europe. Not only could they teach us a thing or two on how to run an academy, they can also loan out young players who are on the rise, let these guys run out for TFC and see if they are fit for the game. I know that there is a Left Back at Sporting right now who is absolutely amazing. Name is Cedric Soares. From all accounts, this 19 year old is ahead of the pace but right now isn't even a consideration for Sporting's bench. He has been the captain for every Sporting youth team and has 31 callups in the last 4 years for Portugal's youth squads.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Pizzaro for DP pls!
Think hes still got 2 or so years left but itd be amazing to have him here for variety of reasons (obviously one is selfish, him being Bremen royalty, the other him being a perfect fit as a striker)

Ultra & Proud
11-05-2010, 02:43 PM

Yeah, really. If we are going to resort to signing players based on the fact that they made one good play then we'd might as well get this guy too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzAZTdyOXcA

Brooker
11-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Am I the only one who would keep Usanov?

pekduck
11-05-2010, 04:10 PM
:hump:

:drinking:

Suds
11-05-2010, 04:15 PM

my issue with this guy is he's a liability out there ... every time he goes in for a tackle I'm thinking we're getting a red card

he wouldn't be my number one choice, but for a 2nd full-back at a good price I'd keep him

Ossington Mental Youth
11-05-2010, 04:56 PM
half the price to 60k off the bench id keep him, outside of that, i feel we can do better

LesH
11-05-2010, 07:11 PM
half the price to 60k off the bench id keep him, outside of that, i feel we can do better

He would be an idiot to stay for 60K in America, in some second rate European championships the guy could get 90-100K. :hump:

[NBF]
11-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Nobody wants Hscanovics back because he is a liability in defense, but what if we move him up to left midfielder? He's no Garreth Bale but still he's decent moving forward:D

Henry------------Vacant-------------Gomez-----------Vacant
Vacant----------DeGuzman----------DeRosario-----Hscanovics

Azerban
11-05-2010, 10:18 PM
why

why

why can't we have like one actual fucking winger

we don't have to shoehorn in strikers and fullbacks until time immemorial

TFC/Everton
11-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Barrett.... I love how hard he plays, if only he could put the ball in the bloody net. Watch, he'll be picked up in the expansion draft by Portland, and score 13 goals next year. You heard it hear first.

It is our tragic flaw.

DoubleUp
11-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Yeah, really. If we are going to resort to signing players based on the fact that they made one good play then we'd might as well get this guy too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzAZTdyOXcA

Fc Zurich(last club)
midfielder: 66 appearance 11 goals

played sweden under 19

played sweden under 21

is only 23 and is not playing football at the moment .

$300 000 is his market value

I think he has alot more to offer than his trick.

If the Dude you posted has equal upside then I'll let this one be.:poke:

DoubleUp
11-07-2010, 12:42 AM
Word is! Gala has been released!.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-07-2010, 02:51 AM
no surprise, no big loss, good luck to him

LesH
11-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Would've been a major shocker for me if TFC would have kept him (and of course other guys with his value), lol...

Ossington Mental Youth
11-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Seedorf, old but still incredibly effective and in a position we need (creative mid), whens his contract up, what do people think?

ArmenJBX
11-07-2010, 10:17 AM
I hate that this is the name that's being discussed but Genaro Gattuso is a possible candidate.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-07-2010, 10:38 AM
do we really need ANOTHER defensive mid?

dow117
11-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I hate that this is the name that's being discussed but Genaro Gattuso is a possible candidate.
Love the guy - an Italian (technical ) with the heart of a Scot !!! Learned it with Rangers !

TFC07
11-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Love the guy - an Italian (technical ) with the heart of a Scot !!! Learned it with Rangers !

Plus he has bit of Canadian connection as well. I believe he is good friends with Mo. Not sure if that is a good thing or not.

I personally don't mind having him if we get rid of JDG (I highly doubt it), Saric and maybe Sanyang.

TFC07
11-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Seedorf, old but still incredibly effective and in a position we need (creative mid), whens his contract up, what do people think?

I don't mind having him at all. He will be a good signing for TFC.

How is he doing this season with Milan btw?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-07-2010, 04:09 PM
not sure, think hes off the bench because of their dearth of attacking mids but seems to be as effective as always

69Chevy396
11-07-2010, 06:13 PM
I doubt Gattuso would come to North America. He would find a lot of frustration with MLS refs with his leg busting tackles. But if he did come to TFC, you could dump JDG, the later is half the player Gattuso is.

Yohan
11-08-2010, 08:27 AM
dave van den bergh still without a club... need a winger? (even if he's old)

Section 117
11-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Gattuso would be a watse IMO DP's should be attacking players not mid or defenders as fans would harp on him for not scoring goals....

Hmmmm... This seems somewhat familar

Wull
11-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Gattuso would be a watse IMO DP's should be attacking players not mid or defenders as fans would harp on him for not scoring goals....

Hmmmm... This seems somewhat familar

Yes but he'd actually be a DM that tackles well which would keep the likes of me relatively quiet

Section 117
11-08-2010, 10:38 AM
I agree Wull, but why spend DP money on defensive midfielder when you are better off spending money on an attacking midfielder, winger or striker where you would see a significant contribution.

Defense, Goaltending, and defensive midfielders you can get in the MLS draft or signing without significant expenditure. Your attacking flair and creativity is where we should be spending the money, which is rare to find in the MLS draft

torontocelt
11-08-2010, 11:38 AM
I doubt Gattuso would come to North America. He would find a lot of frustration with MLS refs with his leg busting tackles. But if he did come to TFC, you could dump JDG, the later is half the player Gattuso is.

Agreed, JDG isn't anywhere near the level of Gattuso as a defensive midfielder. Gattuso has played at the very highest level (Serie A, champions league, world cups) for one of the biggest clubs in the world for 10 years and he has 73 Italian caps, JDG and him should not be mentioned in the same breath. To take it even further he is a 2 time champions league winner and a world cup winner, he has had an exceptional career.

Gattuso has in the past talked about retiring at Glasgow Rangers, his wife is Scottish and he has a great affection for the club. AC Milan have no qualms about keeping older players though and at 32 Gattuso is not that old, especially fo the Italian game. I would not be surprised to see AC Milan offer him a new contract, it is not as if Gattuso has a poor engine, he is still very fit.

I would be surprised to see him come to the MLS any time soon. If for some reason he ever decided to join TFC then I would welcome him with open arms, this guy would fight for the club and give 100% every time he is on the pitch. He is a modern day warrior who takes great pride in his work and he would not come here just looking for another pay day. If people think offering a man of his character and pedigree a DP spot would be a waste then TFC must be in a better state than I ever thought? We would be very lucky to get a player of his quality.

__wowza
11-08-2010, 11:39 AM
i want it to happen, i want it to happen so bad. fuck liverpool, come here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niko_Kranj%C4%8Dar

Section 117
11-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Agreed, JDG isn't anywhere near the level of Gattuso as a defensive midfielder. Gattuso has played at the very highest level (Serie A, champions league, world cups) for one of the biggest clubs in the world for 10 years and he has 73 Italian caps, JDG and him should not be mentioned in the same breath. To take it even further he is a 2 time champions league winner and a world cup winner, he has had an exceptional career.

Gattuso has in the past talked about retiring at Glasgow Rangers, his wife is Scottish and he has a great affection for the club. AC Milan have no qualms about keeping older players though and at 32 Gattuso is not that old, especially fo the Italian game. I would not be surprised to see AC Milan offer him a new contract, it is not as if Gattuso has a poor engine, he is still very fit.

I would be surprised to see him come to the MLS any time soon. If for some reason he ever decided to join TFC then I would welcome him with open arms, this guy would fight for the club and give 100% every time he is on the pitch. He is a modern day warrior who takes great pride in his work and he would not come here just looking for another pay day. If people think offering a man of his character and pedigree a DP spot would be a waste then TFC must be in a better state than I ever thought? We would be very lucky to get a player of his quality.

Really?? You want a player with little to no skill outside of bone crunching tackles?? (On a side note: I am Italian and I watch him play week in week out)I am not questioning either his character or pedigree in Serie A, but for a squad (TFC) that has substantial holes why he be the first choice for a DP spot?

As I stated earlier postionally a DP IMO should be attacking players as you can not get players from college with the skill or creativity to play in attacking roles. They just aren't good enough period. This is why TFC needs to focus on DP's that will make a difference in the attacking third. You can always find someone to play deffensively and not cost you a DP spot.

torontocelt
11-08-2010, 12:28 PM

Really?? You want a player with little to no skill outside of bone crunching tackles?? (On a side note: I am Italian and I watch him play week in week out)I am not questioning either his character or pedigree in Serie A, but for a squad (TFC) that has substantial holes why he be the first choice for a DP spot?

As I stated earlier postionally a DP IMO should be attacking players as you can not get players from college with the skill or creativity to play in attacking roles. They just aren't good enough period. This is why TFC needs to focus on DP's that will make a difference in the attacking third. You can always find someone to play deffensively and not cost you a DP spot.

There is way more to Gattuso's game than just hard challenges, he would not have made it so far in the game at such a top level if that is all he offered. Gattuso does do the dirty work for other players but to label him as a player who can only tackle hard is a great injustice to him.

Considering the crap we have in our midfield and considering that apparently we had the most shots taken against our keeper than any other keeper in the league then I would say that signing a player with the pedigree of Gattuso would not be a bad move if we were lucky enough to get him. Gattuso would definitely help solve that problem, he has a terrific engine, a great work rate, his postioning is good, he does not give the ball away cheaply, he would provide great organization skills for the midfield and the defence and he would help install a real fight, never say die attitude into the team. On top of all of that he has huge quantities of experience which every player in our team and behind the scenes also could benefit from and yes he can also provide bone crunching tackles.

You are entitled to your own opinion but Gattuso is a proven quality player and he would certainly help fill the noticable holes we have in our midfield and provide great protection for our defence. Plus you can have more than one DP now anyway, therre is no reason you could not have Gattuso plus one or two attack minded players, that is if MLSE were willing to spend the money.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-08-2010, 12:35 PM
If we dont resign Mista (which i cant imagine we will), we will still be stuck with 1 DP that is already a defending midfielder, if we sign Gattuso (which i dont see happening) we will then have 2 DP's both defending midfielders. It really doesnt make any sense. No, DeGuzman is not going anywhere, hes got a contract for several years and i dont see him getting cut or signed elsewhere.

Stouffville_RPB
11-08-2010, 12:44 PM

100% Agree.
Effective defence can be taught. As we saw this season with Preki at the helm.

When it comes down to it top offensive players are far more scarce than defending ones. Spend the money on players that will score.

Section 117
11-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Celt IMO our problem isn't defensively or in the midfield. We lack quality in the final third. There is no creativity or quality so we are stuck with JDG and we add Gattuso??? So who is going to score or create for TFC??

DP's should be the following based on keeping JDG. A clinical striker - JPA as an exmaple and a creative midfielder ala Schellotto from the Crew or Ferrieria from Dallas as an example. If we get rid of JDG sure Gattuso will help, but I dooubt he will becoming to MLS anytime soon as Milan is the retirement home for Serie A players

torontocelt
11-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Celt IMO our problem isn't defensively or in the midfield. We lack quality in the final third. There is no creativity or quality so we are stuck with JDG and we add Gattuso??? So who is going to score or create for TFC??

DP's should be the following based on keeping JDG. A clinical striker - JPA as an exmaple and a creative midfielder ala Schellotto from the Crew or Ferrieria from Dallas as an example. If we get rid of JDG sure Gattuso will help, but I dooubt he will becoming to MLS anytime soon as Milan is the retirement home for Serie A players

Well I read that he was signed up for another season anyway and I agree I cannot see him leaving Milan as they do like their older players. I dont buy into the notion though that DP's have to be attacking players, I think people have seen JDG flop and thought why would we sign a defensive midfielder as a DP? JDG is never a good enough player to be awarded DP status and to be frank he is not anywhere near the level of a Gattusso. A defensive midfielder could work but only if he is a great player to begin with and JDG was never that. That doesn't mean that only attacking players will work as a DP, look at Mista for an example of that not working. A DP in my opinion should be a guy who has had a fantastic career and who is perhaps needing to move down from the highest level but can still deliver and would still give 100% and he must not be injury prone. I do not think JDG or Mista fits into some of those catagories.

Wull
11-08-2010, 02:16 PM
If jdg were playing the way Marquez played against us (even discluding the goal) I'd be a lot less critical of him. (not sure how marquez has performed outside of that game so I'm not commenting on Marquez in mls)

Oldtimer
11-08-2010, 03:04 PM
JDG would be a very good player in Mexico, as he was in Spain. However, in MLS, he's in the wrong type of league due to the height, speed, and physicality. Signing him as a DP was a mistake, but given that we have him he's good enough to be a reasonably good MLS DM anchor. What is important is to do the other key positions around the spine. We need a solid defender (does not need to be DP), and a quality striker and a quality #10. One of those two could be a DP. Add a winger, and we've got the groundwork for a good team.

Adding Gattuso, even given that he might be better in MLS than JDG would be useless, as we don't need 2 DM as DPs, and JDG is not going anywhere.

Wull
11-08-2010, 03:18 PM
JDG is not going anywhere.

Not with that attitude he isn't!! :D

Section 117
11-08-2010, 03:24 PM
JDG would be a very good player in Mexico, as he was in Spain. However, in MLS, he's in the wrong type of league due to the height, speed, and physicality. Signing him as a DP was a mistake, but given that we have him he's good enough to be a reasonably good MLS DM anchor. What is important is to do the other key positions around the spine. We need a solid defender (does not need to be DP), and a quality striker and a quality #10. One of those two could be a DP. Add a winger, and we've got the groundwork for a good team.

Adding Gattuso, even given that he might be better in MLS than JDG would be useless, as we don't need 2 DM as DPs, and JDG is not going anywhere.

Completely agree with the above statement

ag futbol
11-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Celt IMO our problem isn't defensively or in the midfield. We lack quality in the final third. There is no creativity or quality so we are stuck with JDG and we add Gattuso??? players
A little too simplistic IMO.

Agreed we lack a catalyst in the midfield and a scoring threat outside of dero, but there are other areas to be addressed as well. Wide play is a huge problem and the back line needs to be better at facilitating the attack. Cann and Nana are good defending but their distribution leaves much to be desired. The LB and RB are in need of upgrading as well.

Section 117
11-11-2010, 08:35 AM
AG, I agree completely, but most pressing IMO is the lack of creativity and wide play. So fix that first and then worry about the defense as it is capable

Ossington Mental Youth
11-11-2010, 10:45 AM
kinda feel like thisll be a good signing if true
http://www.mls-rumors.net/11811/2010/11/incoming-guadeloupe-international-mikael-antoine-curier-to-vancouver-whitecaps/

prizby
11-11-2010, 10:49 AM
so new coach business...Ray Wilkins anyone?

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-chelsea-wilkins

Stryker
11-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Really?? You want a player (Gattuso) with little to no skill outside of bone crunching tackles?? (On a side note: I am Italian and I watch him play week in week out)

You may want to try watching on something bigger than your phone then cause you're obviously missing something. Gattuso was the best defensive mid in the world bar none at his peak.

No skill..... :facepalm:

Section 117
11-11-2010, 12:08 PM
You may want to try watching on something bigger than your phone then cause you're obviously missing something. Gattuso was the best defensive mid in the world bar none at his peak.

No skill..... :facepalm:

At his peak 5 years ago, now he is slow, injury prone and can barely make the staring 11 the last two years. Outside of selling jersies why would TFC want to sign him???

I am speaking of a player who is playing now not 5 years ago. He was a very good midfield the best in the world is a bit of a stretch IMO, but none the less I don't see the value of signing DP's who will have a very minimal impact on the field. Example will signing Gattuso mean we will give up less goals IMO no it wouldn't. If he is the only DP he will end up being crucified on these boards and in the media just like our JDG.

The concept of a DP should be a person who would make a significant impact on the game. Look at the DP's in the league with the exception of Marquez they are offensive players not DM or even defenders.

Carefree
11-12-2010, 11:37 AM
so new coach business...Ray Wilkins anyone?

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-chelsea-wilkins
Hell yes!

Ossington Mental Youth
11-12-2010, 11:55 AM
id love to see it

moralis
11-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Another rumor from MLS Rumors.net about a possible TFC DP:

http://www.mls-rumors.net/11873/2010/11/incoming-toronto-fc-in-contact-with-striker-robbie-keane/

BASE
11-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Another rumor from MLS Rumors.net about a possible TFC DP:

http://www.mls-rumors.net/11873/2010/11/incoming-toronto-fc-in-contact-with-striker-robbie-keane/

Why are so many of you so focused on a DP? Dallas and Colorado both are without a DP and have qualified for MLS Cup and are very worthy contenders at that. RSL are pure quality in terms of play, and probably the most talented and entertaining teams in all of MLS and they do not have a DP.

At the moment De Rosario, Attakora, Cann, and Frei are the only players on the roster worthy of starting in this league (perhaps Santos can be included in this as well).The most important thing for Toronto FC will be to aquire quality MLS caliber players over the next few months.

A DP and for that matter a European based DP won't bring us any closer to being a contender in this league. Some of you think European success translates to a walk in the park in MLS...and this has proven time and time again to be false.

J .
11-18-2010, 10:27 AM
I think Ive been saying this for years, but Toronto FC needs two wingers. Two guys with pace, can put in a decent cross and have some positional sense. Our attack will be fine next season, Barrett, Santos and DeRo will be solid. Barrett until he got hurt was going to get 10-15. I also think our fullbacks will benefit from not getting run at constantly, last season we posed no threat wide and paid for it.

If I could, I'd sign two DP wingers and watch DeRo write a ton of air cheques because he would be afforded a ton of space to operate and thrive in. While Barrett would benefit from having a really stretch backline to make his diagonal runs at.

MLS is an athletic ping pong style, two wingers who could take advantage of that would be a massive improvement for this squad.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-18-2010, 10:33 AM
yep, defo agree with teh two winger bit, im sure we will see some in the up coming season (along with two wingbacks)

TFCRegina
11-18-2010, 10:34 AM
I think Ive been saying this for years, but Toronto FC needs two wingers. Two guys with pace, can put in a decent cross and have some positional sense. Our attack will be fine next season, Barrett, Santos and DeRo will be solid. Barrett until he got hurt was going to get 10-15. I also think our fullbacks will benefit from not getting run at constantly, last season we posed no threat wide and paid for it.

If I could, I'd sign two DP wingers and watch DeRo write a ton of air cheques because he would be afforded a ton of space to operate and thrive in. While Barrett would benefit from having a really stretch backline to make his diagonal runs at.

MLS is an athletic ping pong style, two wingers who could take advantage of that would be a massive improvement for this squad.

It appears we have a winger in Lindsey, but I agree, we actually need 3 wingers for depth purposes...etc.

J .
11-18-2010, 11:30 AM
It appears we have a winger in Lindsey, but I agree, we actually need 3 wingers for depth purposes...etc.

I like Lindsay and I have high hopes for the kid, but he is not ready to start on any team that has hopes of contending. I think he could tear up the league and hopefully make it one day overseas to a star league like the EPL or something, but he's only 17/18 and I think at least 2 years away from developing into an impact player.

Sullivan
11-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Tim Regan, Director of TFC Scouting, his job just got tougher as BC & UVa got bumped out of the NCAA tournament last night. This leaves just Duke, UNC and Maryland still in. Tim's gonna have to hit the road as the ACC just don't have it this season. UNC is the only real contending team, even though the Terps just keep grinding it out, they'll need some upsets on their side of the bracket to go deep, lot of solid teams in their path. Factor in the absence of Wake Forest from the tournament, it's going to be tougher for Cerberus to identify and follow a lot of Tim's work to fully max out on the 6 picks at the January draft.

For those who don't know, Tim is based in North Carolina, where he just finished his Mastor's at Duke, he knows the ACC teams very well.

Second round is Sunday.
D1 bracket is here. http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/2010/ncaa_bracket_DI_soccer_men.html

I've got an Akron / UNC final, with UNC to win it all.

[NBF]
11-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Tim Regan: This is exactly what's wrong with the team, it doesn't take scouting seriously, having Tim Regan in N.C. finishing his degree is like having Gabe Gala on the TFC roster and him playing for his university team.WTF is up with that shit!:(

What we really need is a Fitness Coach, Paul Winsper, it appeared to me that he was making a difference, I don't know why we didnt replace him when he left to work for Nike. I hope, but I know that the mentality of the team was to figure out a routine which was soccer related from Winsper and don't hire a replacement, because the team is no longer playing on turf so there's no need for a fitness coach. I'm sure if we had a Fitness coach our team would not have given up so easily.:facepalm:I hope this is something that Klinsmann addresses before the start of the season in 2011.

Sullivan
11-19-2010, 02:20 PM
;1168784']Tim Regan: This is exactly what's wrong with the team, it doesn't take scouting seriously, having Tim Regan in N.C. finishing his degree is like having Gabe Gala on the TFC roster and him playing for his university team.WTF is up with that shit!:(

I'm critical of a lot of things TFC.... Tim Regan is not one of them. He has established a good rapport with a lot of NCAA coaches, not just the ACC ones, and he has a good network of people in the USSF and NSCAA that speak of, and view him rather highly. He's got the connections and the "pipeline" goin'...

He can't be faulted for being dicked over by Mo. 2011 is his draft. I'm looking forward to what he contributes.

Now if you're talking pro scouting, no arguement here.

Section 117
11-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Actually, Danny Dichio was down in the US scoutting I think the Big Ten tournament

[NBF]
11-22-2010, 01:22 PM
What do you think of Freddy Adu???? He's looking around Denmark for a job.......why not us for $1 million a year??

He'd be like our Robinho, not exactly a striker and not exactly a left winger, but somewhere in between. Thought?

--------------------------Frei----------------------------
Attakora------?????-----------------?????-----------?????
--------------DeGuzman--------LeBrocca-----------------
----Santos--------------DeRosario----------------Adu----
-------------------------Barrett--------------------------

Juanito
11-22-2010, 01:51 PM
I hate the word "rebuilding". It's a very North American thing. In the world of "fútbol", you can scout and pay your way to getting a great team.

We should be going around looking for great players and invest in the scouting system. Trading for other MLS guys doesn't work as well and it should not be our main means of acquiring players.

Juanito
11-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Adu would be better money than De Gúzman. If we are going to put up the dosh, it has to be for an offensive threat.

jloome
11-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Adu would be better money than De Gúzman. If we are going to put up the dosh, it has to be for an offensive threat.

Adu is not worth a million a season. Jesus, he had one goal in 12 games for RSL and has hardly played since.

He's slight of frame, not fast. His technical skill is high but his contribution is usually negligible.

[NBF]
11-25-2010, 11:25 AM
2011 TFC roster has been updated on original thread. TFC released Gala, Mista, Hscanovics, Usanov, and Saric. I only wished they had kept Gala considering he is able to fill at left back somewhat. I think Harden has as much mobility as Garcia and about the same amount of playing ability as Gabe Gala at left back.

Current roster count: 21/30

Ossington Mental Youth
11-30-2010, 04:18 PM
still hoping we swing a deal for Nick Zimmerman of Union, thought dude showed promise at NJ, anyone know how he faired in Philly? looked like a decent cheap winger

ag futbol
12-03-2010, 02:41 PM
still hoping we swing a deal for Nick Zimmerman of Union, thought dude showed promise at NJ, anyone know how he faired in Philly? looked like a decent cheap winger
+1

I thought he was quite good. Not sure why he got stuck to the bench this year.

Andrew Ornoch is apparently back in the mix according to some poster on the V's board who linked back to the score's podcast.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-03-2010, 03:00 PM
nice! i guess we can afford him too

Ossington Mental Youth
12-03-2010, 03:10 PM
any chance you could link that bit about ornoch? id love to read what else dude had to say about it

oxygenatedbrain
12-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Actually, there is no mention of anything TFC or MLS related in the interview...Ornoch talks about a camp he's getting involved with which would offer Toronto area players a trial at an Eredivisie club, starting next year...so one would think leaving Holland isn't at the top of his agenda?

maninb
12-03-2010, 03:18 PM
+1

I thought he was quite good. Not sure why he got stuck to the bench this year.

Andrew Ornoch is apparently back in the mix according to some poster on the V's board who linked back to the score's podcast.

I heard that interview and he expressed absolutely NO INTEREST in coming to the MLS...he's having a good start to his season in Holland and making good money....I'm not buying this BS at all....

oxygenatedbrain
12-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Well, given that the extent of the "BS" is some random noob poster on the V's board saying "Hey, what do you think about Ornoch!!!", I'd say you're very wise...

ag futbol
12-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I heard that interview and he expressed absolutely NO INTEREST in coming to the MLS...he's having a good start to his season in Holland and making good money....I'm not buying this BS at all....
Sorry, didn't actually have time to listen to the podcast he was linking before now but you're 100% correct.

Too bad our former manager has a shockly poor eye for talent. Think he would have been pretty good and I wouldn't say that about too many Canadians we've had a shot at.

Mattsp71
12-06-2010, 05:25 PM
I did not see this posted yet and I don't know how true it is, TFC sign Bas Ent.
http://newsodrome.com/soccer_news/incoming-toronto-fc-sign-dutch-winger-bas-ent-22140069

[NBF]
12-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Bas Ent: He was signed apparently, but I dont know if he really did sign with the team, its like a rumour that spun out of control but he's nowhere to be seen on any rosters on the internet. The only official signing that has been made is Sturgis.

TFCRegina
12-11-2010, 11:38 PM
We should be grabbing Eddie Sidra who is available on a free and would be a wonderful right back. Played extremely well against Venezuela in his first senior cap.

TFCRegina
12-12-2010, 12:01 AM
One thing I've noticed is often times if a Latin American player isn't getting regular minutes in Europe he is able to arrange for a loan back to the Americas.

Canada has a number of Canucks Abroad who aren't getting regular playing time. Would it not make sense for Toronto FC to look into acquiring some Canucks Abroad who are sitting on the bench? For TFC it could provide some level of quality if they acquire the right players, and for the players and owner clubs it could better develop guys who might be sitting and playing in the reserve leagues.

I've also included a few guys out of contract.

Note that not all these guys might be suitable for us, but they're at least worth a look.

A few players come to mind who could be useful in the TFC squad:

Adam Straith (Germany, 2. Bundesliga - strong start to season, fell out of favour, hasn't had much playing time - 1. Right Back 2. Centre-half)

David Edgar (England, Championship - Hasn't played much with Burnley, rare appearances in the Premiership and Championship over the last 3 years - 1. Centre-half, 2. Right/Left Back)

Julian Uccello (Italy, Serie B - Isn't getting many first team appearances - can produce at the Serie C1/C2 level, worked his way up to Serie B from lower leagues - Forward)

Paul Stalteri (Germany, 1. Bundesliga - Hasn't had a first team appearance in ages, currently looking at transferring out but nothing has come out, Diesel is the most capped Canadian International in history -1. Right back)

Massih Wassey (Germany, Regionalliga West (4) - Actually out of contract (wiki is out of date), previous club FC Schalke 04 II, has been capped by the CMNT, might be a good free pick up - Midfielder)

Eddie Sidra (Out of Contract - 56 Appearances in 3 years with Energie Cottbus (Germany, 2. Bundesliga), he did not look out of place when Canada tied Venezuela earlier this year in an away match and set up the free kick that got us a tie - 1. Left Back).

Gianluca Zavarise (MIA, Previously Greek Superleague with Iraklis Thessaloniki - Capped Canadian, nobody has heard of him in ages - midfielder)

Isidro Sanchez (Mexico Primera, Puebla FC - Not getting minutes, potential loan for depth - Midfielder)

Pedro Pacheco (Portugal, Liga de Honra (2) - Not sure if he's playing or not, can't find match reports, nothing mentioned about playing time on the V's website, merely that he's with Santa Clara, capped Canadian - Midfielder)

Gavin McCallum (England, League 2 - Not getting playing time at Lincoln City, was performing well with Hereford United in League 2 before transfer, played great football in Venezuela friendly earlier this year, capped Canadian International - Striker)

Kyle Porter (Canada, NASL - Out of contract, 1 appearance for Whitecaps in 2010, 16 appearances with Energie Cottbus II through 2008-2010 - Midfielder, believe him to play wide)

UltraSuperMegaMo
12-12-2010, 01:11 AM
I'd certainly be interested in seeing any of the players listed, particularly those out of contract, at least trial with TFC. It's hard sometimes not to view Canadian talent through maple leaf tinted glasses though. I could be mistaken, but I'm sure TFC trialed Gavin McCallum a couple of years back and were not impressed.

I'd like to see TFC give Kennedy Owusu-Ansah a trial. He went from being one of the likely lads of Canadian soccer to playing in lower leagues in Finland pretty quickly, but he's still only 21 (I think), a move back home might suit him.

I know a few other teams have been making moves, but I don't think TFC will do too much until mid Jan. once they've got a coach in place and heading into camp.

prizby
12-12-2010, 01:47 AM
wasn't ali gerba league 1 player...u want McCallum...i would say no to about all of them, but edgar...but edgar isn't going to come back across the pond

TFCRegina
12-12-2010, 02:20 AM
wasn't ali gerba league 1 player...u want McCallum...i would say no to about all of them, but edgar...but edgar isn't going to come back across the pond

I'd like to see McCallum at least trial.

As for League 2/League 1, I'll point out Dunfield has spent most of his time bouncing around both leagues and it appears he's going to be a MLS starter with the Whitecaps, and has performed admirably with the CMNT when he's been put in. He was a key performer in the win over Honduras.

TFCRegina
12-12-2010, 02:22 AM
I'd certainly be interested in seeing any of the players listed, particularly those out of contract, at least trial with TFC. It's hard sometimes not to view Canadian talent through maple leaf tinted glasses though. I could be mistaken, but I'm sure TFC trialed Gavin McCallum a couple of years back and were not impressed.

I'd like to see TFC give Kennedy Owusu-Ansah a trial. He went from being one of the likely lads of Canadian soccer to playing in lower leagues in Finland pretty quickly, but he's still only 21 (I think), a move back home might suit him.

I know a few other teams have been making moves, but I don't think TFC will do too much until mid Jan. once they've got a coach in place and heading into camp.

Playing in Finland is not necessarily a bad thing. I'll note that Tosaint Ricketts just recently made a move from MYPA to FC Poli Timisoara in the top division of Romania (Europa League team - competing for a Champions League spot).

Many players use Finland as a jumping off point to the middling first divisions of Europe, the Romanias, Norways, Denmarks, etc.

Again, I suggested that they'd be worth a look, not absolute for sure signings.

Also, McCallum trialing here in the past: When was Mo Johnston ever a good judge of talent?

As for rose tinted glasses: I understand, and I've felt that we really shouldn't employ a lot of Canadians, but there are clearly guys out there (Sidra, Stalteri, Edgar) who can be employed as fullbacks if we can get them and are talented enough to play in those positions. We need stronger fullbacks.

I'd like to see more Latin American players in our squad, particularly wingers who play further up the pitch, but when there's an opportunity to snap up a guy like Sidra (who has a lot of experience for a 21 year old) we should be trying to take it.