PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Sep.16

denime
09-16-2010, 05:19 AM
Mornin'

Axed TFC coach Preki fires back (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/09/15/15366226.html)

Reds Suffer In Salt Lake (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/09/reds-suffer-salt-lake)

Salt On The Wound (http://www.torontofc.ca/content/salt-wound)

Nicholas Lindsay Signs For TFC (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/09/nicholas-lindsay-signs-tfc)

TFC trounced in Champions League play (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/09/16/15367276.html)

Toronto FC washed away in Salt Lake (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/861992--toronto-fc-washed-away-in-salt-lake)

Toronto FC crushed again (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-crushed-again/article1709560/)

Bold choices needed at BMO Field (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/bold-choices-needed-at-bmo-field/article1707927/)

So you think you can manage? (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/09/14/johnston_tfc_firings/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Oldtimer
09-16-2010, 05:24 AM
The team needs a complete rebuild. AGAIN.

Hopefully, with the right GM and coach, we can do what New York did.

Wagner
09-16-2010, 05:56 AM
The team needs a complete rebuild. AGAIN.

Hopefully, with the right GM and coach, we can do what New York did.

Just in time for season ticket renewals...

"we got it wrong years 1-4, but come back and see what we do when we hit reset in year 5"

DichioTFC
09-16-2010, 06:03 AM
I wrote this on the Toronto FC status this morning, I'll recopy it here:

I'm tired of excuses. From Mo to Preki to the training to the atmosphere to the culture to the refs... Fuck it. Win a fucking game. Stop with the fucking excuses. I'm tired of this shit.

I've been a pretty big, frontrunning booster of this team (even in the face of ridicule by those who are more realistic than me), but last night's "performance" rubbed me the wrong way. I know our team doesn't suck. We have a team that's capable of going on a win streak and making the playoffs. The pieces are there. I don't care what people say about missing a winger or needing a striker, we have the pieces. It's about fucking time they come out and preform.

It lies with the captain. It lies with our big money stars. It lies with our lower paid role players. It lies with our keepers. If we're not getting results on the field, its *their* fault. Not because of the condition of the pitch or how tired they are. That's not good enough and I'm not buying that shit any more.

CretanBull
09-16-2010, 06:07 AM
^ I'm more worried that they might not think that a rebuld is needed. We need a manager with a plan and vision. Its a sad reality that there's no one in the FO who can scrutinize the plans of a prospective manager because none of them know anything about the sport or the league. That's how we ended up with Mojo, he was the best bullshitter - and no one was able to call him on it.

Get the right man, hire support staff including scouts for the love of God and drop every high value contract that we have. Start from scratch.

DichioTFC
09-16-2010, 06:19 AM
^ You're spot-on about the vision and hiring the right man / staff members. But for now, until the last 9 games, leave it all out on the pitch. We have all winter (a long, cold winter) to discuss rebuilding plans ad nauseam.

I want an XI that will work their asses off on the pitch. I don't care about whatever soap opera bullshit is going on behind the scenes anymore. It's not even results that matter to me, I want to see a group of guys that act like our crest means something.

Pookie
09-16-2010, 06:24 AM
Quote of the day for me:

"No doubt some of the wrong players – including the $1.7-million signing of Julian de Guzman – will feel empowered by the decision as it could be leveraged as a reason for their own poor performances but the reality is it should not. What are they going to do now, play well all of a sudden because they have smiles on their faces?

The right players play well irrespective of the coach. They simply adjust their egos"

DichioTFC
09-16-2010, 06:27 AM
^ Even better was Daso's response after the game:

“We left Toronto with all the turmoil of the coaching changes and we didn’t have a lot of time to prepare for stuff but that is not an excuse because we have been together for a while."

Really dipshit, it's not an excuse? That's the definition of an excuse!!

Cashcleaner
09-16-2010, 06:44 AM
The Sun article talking about Preki piqued my interest, but provided little substance. Hopefully someday we can get a proper interview where he can just blow off some steam as I'd really like to hear Preki dish out the goods on Mo, Anselmi, and the other higher-ups at TFC/MLSE. Most importantly, I want to know how much control the GM and coaches are given and what sort of financial restrictions are being put on team.

Technorgasm
09-16-2010, 06:56 AM
both I.. and todays SSG have the solution to our road game Woes. . .

GO ARGOS!

keem-o-sabi
09-16-2010, 07:00 AM
coed ladies 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/09/15/miss-coed-haley-sorenson-pics/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/09/13/100-sexy-girls-with-sleeve-tattoos-gallery/sexy-tattoo-sleeved-girls-1/)

scooter
09-16-2010, 07:08 AM
mornin d

Pookie
09-16-2010, 07:09 AM
The Sun article talking about Preki piqued my interest, but provided little substance. Hopefully someday we can get a proper interview where he can just blow off some steam as I'd really like to hear Preki dish out the goods on Mo, Anselmi, and the other higher-ups at TFC/MLSE. Most importantly, I want to know how much control the GM and coaches are given and what sort of financial restrictions are being put on team.

Agreed.

I think it is unfortunate he choose to use the word "Canadians" in his comment. Many are going to focus on that instead of his view on their "character."

Looking forward to the Cumminsesque interview.

Pookie
09-16-2010, 07:11 AM

“We left Toronto with all the turmoil of the coaching changes and we didn’t have a lot of time to prepare for stuff but that is not an excuse because we have been together for a while."

Well according to Coach JDG, they never prepared anyways.

anto7
09-16-2010, 07:22 AM
Agreed.

I think it is unfortunate he choose to use the word "Canadians" in his comment. Many are going to focus on that instead of his view on their "character."

Looking forward to the Cumminsesque interview.
We will probably never get to find out all of the truth of the situation but one thing I am pretty sure about is that someone as arrogant as Preki is never going to admit that he screwed up in any way. He likes to bring up what he achieved with Chivas but just because he had some success there doesn't automatically mean he will be a success wherever he goes.

Wull
09-16-2010, 07:28 AM
"It's a couple of Canadian guys making those comments. That's all I have to say about that." You're at a fucking Canadian club and you talk like that about the players and people who pay their hard-earned money for the utter shite you were serving up?! Piss off back to the states and I hope you get rubber-gloved at the border

Stugatzo
09-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Get the right man, hire support staff including scouts for the love of God and drop every high value contract that we have. Start from scratch.

Greg...gotta disagree. I think there are all kinds of questionable high end salaries on the field but some, like DeRo and Frei, who are vastly underpaid.

Nuvinho
09-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Here is my 2 cents. We currently have 2 DPs and DeRo almost in the DP range. The 2 DPs cost MLSE $2.6M to $2.7M (I know Mista's contract is pro-rated). Next year, you make DeRo a DP at $850K to $900K and JDG at the same. If JDG doesn't like that, goodbye!!! Then go spend $1M on a striker...I am sure there are plenty of good strikers for that price.

DeRo $900K, JDG $900K, Striker $1M = $2.8M

Hooligan69
09-16-2010, 07:58 AM
MLSE Motto:

"Winning is everything in Sports and it's what we believe in. It's our vision. It's what we do and why we're here. It's in our DNA and it drives us every day. It's at the heart of our objectives and strategies. Our four core values are rock solid and how we play to win. The rules of the game don't change. There are no time outs." (Credit: Toronto Sun)

I think there's only one word to describe the above: Bullshit.

Beach_Red
09-16-2010, 08:09 AM

Naw, man, he was set-up to fail. Look at the way this was handled. Anselmi said the decision to fire the GM and Coach wasn't made, "after one game," which means they'd been thinking about it for a while.

So, they could have done it before a home game against a weaker team like DC but instead they decided to do it right before a road game against one of the top teams in the league.

Way to undermine everyone's confidence and pretty much guarantee they'll start on a losing note and be forced into making excuses. That's some terrific leadership right there, that is.

Pookie
09-16-2010, 09:21 AM
"It's a couple of Canadian guys making those comments. That's all I have to say about that." You're at a fucking Canadian club and you talk like that about the players and people who pay their hard-earned money for the utter shite you were serving up?! Piss off back to the states and I hope you get rubber-gloved at the border

Actually, what concerns me a little is the emphasis on Canadians. I know that our current system has a Canadian quota to it but if that goes (as it supposedly is), I would hope that we pick the best available players and staff based on skill not on passport.

Anselmi's comments in the presser are concerning to me in that he wants to develop Canadian talent at all levels. That's fine. But not at the expense of success. TFC isn't supposed to fix the CSA's years of neglect. If TFC can contribute to player development, fine. If they can contribute to Coaching development, fine. But those should come only if the Canadian is the best available person for that particular role.

J .
09-16-2010, 09:43 AM

He's taking a shot at the NT. Look at how well JDG and DeRo played in the qualifiers. It was everyones fault but theirs.

habstfc
09-16-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm pretty sure JDG will be back. He still has at least 1 year left on his contract and it's safe to assume it's guaranteed money.

dow117
09-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Typical Preki classless comment. I agree with WULL - Piss off back to the states and I hope you get rubber-gloved at the border

tfcleeds
09-16-2010, 10:02 AM
MLSE Motto:

"Winning is everything in Sports and it's what we believe in. It's our vision. It's what we do and why we're here. It's in our DNA and it drives us every day. It's at the heart of our objectives and strategies. Our four core values are rock solid and how we play to win. The rules of the game don't change. There are no time outs." (Credit: Toronto Sun)

I think there's only one word to describe the above: Bullshit.

Actually, change the first sentence to "Generating profits and massive returns to our investors" and it would be 100% spot on.

Darlofletch
09-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Actually, what concerns me a little is the emphasis on Canadians. I know that our current system has a Canadian quota to it but if that goes (as it supposedly is), I would hope that we pick the best available players and staff based on skill not on passport.

Anselmi's comments in the presser are concerning to me in that he wants to develop Canadian talent at all levels. That's fine. But not at the expense of success. TFC isn't supposed to fix the CSA's years of neglect. If TFC can contribute to player development, fine. If they can contribute to Coaching development, fine. But those should come only if the Canadian is the best available person for that particular role.

A fucking men.

two things about the developing canadian talent. (not getting into the people with guaranteed jobs forcing preki out side of things)

1) tfc should be your priority, hiring the best and most experienced people you can regardless of passport.
2) alright you're hiring canadians, but what are they learning. Jimmy's learning from Mo? Dasovic was learning from Preki. If you want to delvelop canadian talent first, fine, that's very nice, but how about build a winning team and culture that's worth learning from, then drop canadians into that systme here and there so they can learn excellence. Like Yzermanat the redwings.

JonO
09-16-2010, 10:24 AM

There is currently no indication that that's the case. If TFC want to spend money grooming GMs (Brennan) and coaches (Daso) then they should be applauded, as long as they're not put in the "top dog" role solely because they're Canadian. So far we have seen no indication of that happening.

mastermixer
09-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Is anyone else worried that Anselmi doesnt have a clue what to do with this club? The guy just rubs me the wrong way, like a glorified used car salesman. That presser with Daso gave me no confidence in this guy.

Darlofletch
09-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Is anyone else worried that Anselmi doesnt have a clue what to do with this club? The guy just rubs me the wrong way, like a glorified used car salesman. That presser with Daso gave me no confidence in this guy.

very much so.

Darlofletch
09-16-2010, 10:49 AM
This article (http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/article/861862--feschuk-won-t-take-much-for-raptors-to-keep-colangelo) in the star about Richard peddie's decision making influence over bryan colangleo's position kind of scares me as well about the people making the decisions in MLSE.

mastermixer
09-16-2010, 11:09 AM
This article (http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/article/861862--feschuk-won-t-take-much-for-raptors-to-keep-colangelo) in the star about Richard peddie's decision making influence over bryan colangleo's position kind of scares me as well about the people making the decisions in MLSE.

Even the article with espn hinted at no support from MLSE...

When asked what went wrong during his tenure, Preki hinted at a lack of support from owners Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, although he refused to get specific.
"The last two to three months there were some really challenging and difficult circumstances," he said. "At some point down the line, I'll say more."

Anselmi... I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt right now, but I'm watching you...

mastermixer
09-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Found this article on ESPN....Good read.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5575167/axe-falls-toronto-fc

TFCRegina
09-16-2010, 11:39 AM

But really, in some ways Canadians have been our best players at this club. That's what's really sad about Preki's comments.

Nana, Cann and De Ro have done an outstanding job.

Like really, the shitty players are the guys Preki brought in...

keem-o-sabi
09-16-2010, 01:05 PM
MLS roster to expand to 30 next year (http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/soccer/post/_/id/9039/mls-to-expand-rosters-to-thirty-players-for-2011)

maybe i missed this yesterday as well, Canucks and Yanks to count the same on Canadian team rosters no quota's (http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Canadian+players+lose+their+quota+edge/3526397/story.html)

v00d00daddy
09-16-2010, 01:27 PM
I think the "couple of canadian guys" refers to the idea that JDG and DeRo are Cdn National team guys and, as such, have their loyalties to Dasovic.

Preki probably knew he was fighting a losing battle with those guys the minute he signed here. Hence wanting DeRo gone.

A head coach is never going to succeed when two of his best players (and faces of the franchise) listen to and side with the assistant coach.

keem-o-sabi
09-16-2010, 01:33 PM
that's a couple coaches those two have burned through (maybe 3 if you count the National team). I think they may be the issue and might want to sell them while you can get something in return (okay trade or sell). One definitely thinks he's the king of the world...

Parkdale
09-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Preki probably knew he was fighting a losing battle with those guys the minute he signed here. Hence wanting DeRo gone.

A head coach is never going to succeed when two of his best players (and faces of the franchise) listen to and side with the assistant coach.

which all makes perfect sense with the 'Dasovich sent scouting' angle that we heard about a few days prior to all this. Preki saw his replacement, and gave him a big 'GTFO'. Looking back, it also seems like Ali Gerba might have been one of the first people who Preki saw as a troublemaker with his Canadian Pals.

J .
09-16-2010, 01:50 PM
I think the "couple of canadian guys" refers to the idea that JDG and DeRo are Cdn National team guys and, as such, have their loyalties to Dasovic.

+ 1
+ 1
+ 1

Darlofletch
09-16-2010, 01:55 PM
But really, in some ways Canadians have been our best players at this club. That's what's really sad about Preki's comments.

Nana, Cann and De Ro have done an outstanding job.

Like really, the shitty players are the guys Preki brought in...

when did Cann get here again?

Thrillos
09-16-2010, 03:09 PM
I am pretty confident Cann was a player Mo brought in.

Based on the "Canadadian" comment I would say its safe to assume Preki wouldn't have even given Cann a look. If you ask me the only player that Preki brought in that did good was Labrocca.

I still say Mo brought in good players, just gave them to good of a salary and didn't get good players in positions required. Which is the key to being a quality GM

denime
09-16-2010, 03:50 PM

Based on the "Canadadian" comment I would say its safe to assume Preki wouldn't have even given Cann a look. If you ask me the only player that Preki brought in that did good was Labrocca.

I still say Mo brought in good players, just gave them to good of a salary and didn't get good players in positions required. Which is the key to being a quality GM

De Santos, Gargan too,no?

rocker
09-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Gargan's a strange one tho -- he wasn't on the team when they went to Columbus, even though he had such a low salary (40K). Somebody obviously wasn't totally happy with Gargan and he was a last minute addition (I think he rolled in right before the Columbus match). I'm not sure if that's Preki or Mo on that.

DichioTFC
09-16-2010, 05:57 PM
^ I don't think anyone was happy with Gargan at first, even the supporters if I'm not mistaken.

But he's really grown on everybody and proven himself to be a starter on this team. I don't care who brought him in or who's boy he is, he's one guy I'm happy to have on this team next year.

DichioTFC
09-16-2010, 05:59 PM

Cann wanted to come to TFC a year earlier, but their squabble was about like $5,000 or something ridiculously stupid. When Mo needed to save his own ass, he signed Cann.