PDA

View Full Version : I admit to being jealous but here's a good article on the turnaround of the Pink Cows

Roogsy
09-15-2010, 10:40 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703376504575491811335917070.html

As a numbers guy, I am happy that this article is full of them. The one that stood out for me and should for MLSE is this one:

Mr. Zea said that when Mr. Henry and Mr. Marquez arrived, the company scrambled to supply "tens of thousands" of jerseys, which were sold soon after. The Red Bulls are now second in the league in jersey sales, behind Seattle.

That used to be us, right behind LA. My guess is we are now 4th on the list behind Seattle, New York and LA. And with continued struggles at BMO Field, one more upstart team could knock us down even further. Well done Mojo...you've decimated what was once an ideal club in MLS.

Parkdale
09-15-2010, 10:55 AM
you've decimated what was...

decimated means 'removal of 10%' (deci = Deca = ten)

Originally the term comes from the roman army, where to punish a unit who failed their task, the entrie group was divided into groups of 10, and the one person with the short straw was killed by the remaining 9 soldiers.

yeah.... 'decimated' is my 'irregardless'

and Having a HUGE DP signing like Henry (and to a less extent, marquez) means something for jersey sales.
It's hard to compare our sales to theirs. I mean maybe compare our first year sales to theirs.
year 4, with only the addition of the white jersey, wasn't ever going to be a big year for our sales.
with

H Bomb
09-15-2010, 11:00 AM
no way man. Irregardless is incorrect structure. Decimated is incorrect use. decimated has been altered in society to mean destroyed, broken into little pieces, etc. Irregardless is a northern N.A. mistake in language.....:D

prizby
09-15-2010, 11:01 AM
4th...u would think after 50 cent was wearing a rohan ricketts jersey that we would be number 1 in the world :p

Roogsy
09-15-2010, 11:01 AM
decimated means 'removal of 10%' (deci = Deca = ten)

Originally the term comes from the roman army, where to punish a unit who failed their task, the entrie group was divided into groups of 10, and the one person with the short straw was killed by the remaining 9 soldiers.

yeah.... 'decimated' is my 'irregardless'

and Having a HUGE DP signing like Henry (and to a less extent, marquez) means something for jersey sales.
It's hard to compare our sales to theirs. I mean maybe compare our first year sales to theirs.
year 4, with only the addition of the white jersey, wasn't ever going to be a big year for our sales.
with

We have TWO DPs on our team and you don't think one of those DPs should have been someone who not only would have made a real impact on the scoreboard but also someone who could have sold more jerseys?

I am seeing less and less TFC gear every day. The bandwagon is coming off the rails. I was hoping TFC would one day compete to become bigger than most teams in this city other than the perennial Leafs. With the kind of ineptitude management has shown, instead they have ensured that it remains in the background of people's minds.

Parkdale
09-15-2010, 11:09 AM
no way man. Irregardless is incorrect structure. Decimated is incorrect use. decimated has been altered in society to mean destroyed, broken into little pieces, etc. Irregardless is a northern N.A. mistake in language.....:D

that's what bothers me so much.... that people are altering the usage without understanding it. Doesn't anyone care about latin anymore? Bisect means 'in half'. LATIN!!!

Roogs - Our DP's are nowhere near as famous as the two NY got. (one with all the spanish fans, one with all the euro/brit fans). I'd rather have a DP that wins games, but there's no point in worry about about jersey sales on hype DP names alone. Hell... beckham sold more jerseys than anyone else in this league EVER. Did he have a bigger impact than someone like Blanco or Joseph or Donovan? Nope. Do jersery sales really matter to me? nope.

v00d00daddy
09-15-2010, 11:12 AM

lol...how about supposebly?

I hear this one a lot.

RBNY...doing it right.

I just wish Toronto had the cache to attract those kinds of guys.

nfitz
09-15-2010, 11:26 AM
no way man. Irregardless is incorrect structure. Decimated is incorrect use. decimated has been altered in society to mean destroyed, broken into little pieces, etc. Irregardless is a northern N.A. mistake in language.....:DSurely once the word is in the dictionary, it's no longer a mistake (though irregardless hasn't made it into any Canadian dictionaries yet ... it seems common enough in American dictionaries).

If you want to be purist about it, we'd all still be speaking some Indo-European proto-language ... or at least not using the word "soccer".

Shway
09-15-2010, 12:29 PM
4th...u would think after 50 cent was wearing a rohan ricketts jersey that we would be number 1 in the world :p

starting to believe that was photoshop lol:rolleyes:

DichioTFC
09-15-2010, 12:33 PM
What about 'supposed to'... that one pisses me off everytime

DichioTFC
09-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Jersey sales is relative to the players signed. Signing Henry and the Mexican captain (Marquez) in New York is direct selling points. Hell, the stadium is directly beside a Spanish-speaking community. Despite the players and location, their shiny new stadium has 10,000 per game.

We'll always be high on the jersey sales list. If there's one thing that MLSE does right its sales

Carts
09-15-2010, 12:38 PM
We have TWO DPs on our team and you don't think one of those DPs should have been someone who not only would have made a real impact on the scoreboard but also someone who could have sold more jerseys?

Agreed...

Funny, away from BMO, I have seen more 'Ricketts' jerseys than 'de Guzman' over the past year or so...

At BMO, I rarely see anyone walk by with a named/numbered jersey...

The ones that are named are almost always DeRosario...

If we didn't have such a damn revolving door in this team, I'd like to get mine name/numbered with Gargan - show some respect and props for a hard working player who's not making the big bucks...

If MLSE thought JDG would spike jersey sales, they failed in that thought...

Another thought on jersey sales. My buddy picked up a fully authentic, non-numbered NYRB jersey (he hails from NY) in upstate NY for $18...

That's right $18...

It was on sale at an outlet... The original price $49.95...

If our jerseys were $50 - and other merch was priced accordingly to it, I'd own 5-times as much stuff, and would actually spend more money than I do...

Carts...

ensco
09-15-2010, 02:51 PM
It's a big boy game now, folks. Multiple DPs means that parity is over.

That TV contract is the most interesting disclosure of all. They're paying $250,000 to get the games on air (with MSG paying $750,000 and keeping all the ad sales). They think they'll make $50,000 a year next year, so over 35 games, that's $1.75MM/year (as compared to $750,000-1,000,000 this year (my guess, assuming that MSG breaks even or makes a little on the existing deal).

So adding Henry and Marquez adds only $1 million in TV ad revenues, but costs, say, $5-6 million combined in salaries.

Multiple DPs means owners need to investment spend bigtime, take losses to build asset value, or fall badly behind.

(On the point of the article: they're a long way from succeeding in NY, and in this league. Not saying that NY are not doing the right things. That stadium is a beauty, but the location is still going to hold it back. Sure it's on the PATH, but it's sitting like a spaceship in the middle of an industrial development that's a solid 15 minutes from the stop. The proximity to Newark is going to be a branding problem, even though Newark is slowly changing. There hasn't been exactly a honeymoon effect. There are still tons of empty seats at most games in the new arena.)

Chevy
09-15-2010, 03:02 PM
The Shite Bulls are similar in a way to the Jays and Rogers.

The bottom line for the Jays may be negative, but they gain a ton of low-cost / no-cost advertising from having the games on TV and people in the stands.

I would guess that the media coverage and general Red Bull buzz (no pun intended) from the Henry and Marquez signings easily covered their salaries for the season.