PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Toronto FC Head Coach and GM

tovan
09-15-2010, 10:34 AM
It's inevitable that people will start speculating so let's start here...

Who can you see coming in to fill the vacant GM and Head Coach positions?

TFC USA
09-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Steve Nicol (head coach)......Shakes McQueen (GM).

J .
09-15-2010, 10:42 AM
The Ringling Bros.

Get us new clowns, these ones arent funny.

prizby
09-15-2010, 10:45 AM
hire hiddick and let him be coach and gm

v00d00daddy
09-15-2010, 11:10 AM

GM-Jim Brennan
Head Coach-Nick Dasovic

Now ask who I want (or more specifically who I DON'T WANT)

Same two names.

Yohan
09-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Steve Nicol would be awesome. Though Daso should be given a shot if he somehow pulls a miracle and gets TFC to playoffs

ensco
09-15-2010, 11:26 AM
I want a tried and true MLS veteran. One of the mistakes about Preki was assuming that the guy had been around the block. He really hadn't. The Mo hire was the same mistake. We've had enough pretending. I want a guy who has been in management in this league for 8-10 years.

To me, the obvious guy is Dominic Kinnear. Houston's having a bad year, so maybe they'd let him go. Not that it would be cheap. Give the guy both jobs, and get out of the way.

Yallop is another obvious idea. But he's more of a coach only, I don't see why you'd give him both jobs. Also SJ is on the way up, hard to imagine they'd let him go.

I don't get the huge love for Nicol. He'd be a similar candidate to Kinnear, probably inferior based on record the past 5 years, NE haven't been that good since 2007. Part of that is cheapskate ownership. I'm not ragging on the guy, I just don't think he's head and shoulders beyond the field. Third on my list. Second only to Kinnear if you're hiring a combined GM/coach, which I would like to see.

The other possible candidate is Sigi Schmid. The guy's a mercenary, he'd move for the right deal, it'd be an MLSE special to hire him for vast money and send valuable assets the other way as compensation.

Redcoe15
09-15-2010, 12:14 PM
I want a tried and true MLS veteran. One of the mistakes about Preki was assuming that the guy had been around the block. He really hadn't. The Mo hire was the same mistake. We've had enough pretending. I want a guy who has been in management in this league for 8-10 years.

To me, the obvious guy is Dominic Kinnear. Houston's having a bad year, so maybe they'd let him go. Not that it would be cheap. Give the guy both jobs, and get out of the way.

Yallop is another obvious idea. But he's more of a coach only, I don't see why you'd give him both jobs. Also SJ is on the way up, hard to imagine they'd let him go.

I don't get the huge love for Nicol. He'd be a similar candidate to Kinnear, probably inferior based on record the past 5 years, NE haven't been that good since 2007. Part of that is cheapskate ownership. I'm not ragging on the guy, I just don't think he's head and shoulders beyond the field. Third on my list. Second only to Kinnear if you're hiring a combined GM/coach, which I would like to see.

The other possible candidate is Sigi Schmid. The guy's a mercenary, he'd move for the right deal, it'd be an MLSE special to hire him for vast money and send valuable assets the other way as compensation.
And wouldn't that piss off the Seattle and Columbus supporters. :D

CoachGT
09-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Kinnear and Sigi would both be tops on my list, although I could consider others (including Nicol).

GM job is more of a question.

Hitcho
09-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Actually a related but perhaps more important question is what roles do we want the GM and coach to fill? This is a really murky area for me, maybe because I come from a non-GM country, but I think it's crucial to have the right roles defined.

For example, who gets final say over whether a player is signed or drafted? Should the coach just have to work with the players in the squad that the GM builds, or should he be able to shape the make up of the squad himself? If it's a bit of both, how does that work if there's a dispute?

What if they agree on a player but not on how much he should get paid - one wants to pay more just to get him in and the other wants to pay less and save more cap space because he thinks that is more valuable.

If we're going to be successful then these two have to work together in perfect tandem. And I would think that the scope of the roles will have a big impact on who we want or who agrees to fill them.

maninb
09-15-2010, 12:36 PM
One guy who is gonna get a serious look as GM is Sasho Cirovski...Director of Maryland's soccer program....played and coached in the CSL and turned Maryland into a powerhouse...knows North American soccer inside out....has been approached many times but has always turned those positions down....but he may like to come back to Canada...

Shway
09-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Dale Mitchell

Shway
09-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Martin O'Neil

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Rafael Carbajal (coach) and Ronald Koeman (GM) + plus someone with some MLS experience to help them navigate the MLS rules.

Carefree
09-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Is Maradona still looking for a job?

Darlofletch
09-15-2010, 12:45 PM
radomir antic. just got let go by Serbia. history with clubs in spain. no idea if he'd want to come over, but he's an available name.

DichioTFC
09-15-2010, 12:46 PM
I like the Kinnear suggestion, or even Yallop.

Both have had success (winning the Cup, not just making the playoffs, which was Preki's claim to fame) and they've both worked with DeRo in his prime.

bee dubya
09-15-2010, 12:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavio_Zambrano

I hope TFC will consider interviewing Zambrano. Sounds like he had a good run in MLS in the past (I didn't follow the league at that time) and he's working with KC as an asst at the moment.

tfcleeds
09-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Sigi Schmidt/Bruce Arena combo...

maninb
09-15-2010, 12:51 PM
^Nice resume.....I'd like to see him (Zambrano) get interviewed at the least...

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-15-2010, 12:51 PM
I don't think you need someone who's had success in the league, just someone who's had success somewhere. Despite what people think, the MLS is still just football, there's nothing special about it or radically different from most leagues.

I agree that the GM would need to have some MLS experience due to all the wacky rules and restrictions or at least someone with experience to lean on.

Red Rat
09-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Who would want to work for such a shit organization as ML$E???

etro
09-15-2010, 01:20 PM
John Carver

Section 117
09-15-2010, 01:49 PM
IMO we probqably have never heard of who should be the GM. Look at the Shite Bulls if people knew their gm is or coach prior to comming to the MLS I commend them, but no one really had a clue.

We need to hire a director of soccer to run the entire operations from the Academy, to scouting to first team. Surround himself with two assistants one of his chossing one with extensive knowledge of the MLS. His coach w/his assistants. If he wants to keep Daso, Jimmy or Danny fine. If not keep Danny and Jimmy around for media functions ala Wendel Clark etc...

This is how you build a top class club. No BS, no drama. Tell him he has a three year to have us contending for the title not the playoffs.

Just my 2 cents

spot-on
09-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Phil "The Tan" Brown.

I'm not at all serious.

fetajr
09-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Rafael Carbajal (coach) .. + plus someone with some MLS experience to help them navigate the MLS rules.

+1000

Milltown FC is doing great in their 1st season.

scooterTFC
09-15-2010, 02:58 PM
The first thing I hope they do is to design a better organization. I don't think Coach and GM is the answer. I think it should look more like:

1. Team President - A senior guy from the sporting side of a decent european football club (doesn't have to be a top tier league - just a club that is known to be well run). He should have the following direct reports; (i)the academy director and (ii)pro club director
2. Director of Pro Club - Should be a veteran CONCACAF region soccer guy with lots of solid connections for scouting. Runs the pro club with the following reporting to him (i)coaching, (ii)scouting, and (iii) operations
3. Manager/Coach - Runs the team. Could be MLS/CONCACAF guy or from elsewhere in the world depending on who is hired for director job.

Who would I hire?
Team President - No clue
Director Pro Club - Kinnear or Nicol may be getting to the point in their career where they might like to manage instead of coach
Coach - Colin Clarke (PR Islanders), Jay Vidovich (Wake Forest) are decent candidates in the region, who knows from outside the region

TFCRegina
09-15-2010, 03:04 PM
His name rhymes with Reindorf.

TFCRegina
09-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Rafael Carbajal (coach) and Ronald Koeman (GM) + plus someone with some MLS experience to help them navigate the MLS rules.

Absolutely agree.

Red CB Toronto
09-15-2010, 03:40 PM
I name that comes to mind as a head coach would be Paul Mariner, currently the head coach of Plymouth Argyle in England and was the first assistant under Steve Nicol at New England for six seasons.

I really think you want two different people in the GM and head coach role to maximize their strengths.

Technorgasm
09-15-2010, 03:46 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3089/3100317743_ab4ff76e96_o.jpg

Huyton
09-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Yes, Rafa Carbajal is doing a great job, and yes, it's important for Canadian soccer to show that it's possible to move from the grass roots right to the top.

But, dammit...keep your mitts off him.

Huyton
09-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah...Stevie Nichol...that's the guy we want.

Missed a penalty kick in a European Cup final after extra time couldn't settle the match, but that's okay. I'm sure he's recovered from that.

Anyway, do we really want to go from a red haired scotsman who used to play for Everton to a red haired scotsman who used to play for Liverpool?

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Yes, Rafa Carbajal is doing a great job, and yes, it's important for Canadian soccer to show that it's possible to move from the grass roots right to the top.

But, dammit...keep your mitts off him.

Milltown would presumably get some compensation. If Carbajal did come to TFC, I think Milltown FC would be okay, as they have as very sound reserve / assistant coach, Volodymyr Klinovskyy, who I think could step in.

Email campaign anyone? Carbajal for TFC?

twistedchinaman
09-15-2010, 04:14 PM
The league as a whole seems to be starting to gravitate towards a Latin American style of play -- are we sure we want to stay in the British style (ergo, Steve Nicol)?

jloome
09-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Based on his resume and his results during their exhibition season I'd (gulp, forgive me, hometowners) try to steal former Eredivisie coach Dwight Lodeweges from FC Edmonton.

Really, you wouldn't believe what he did with a mostly-local team. They easily could've competed in Voyageur's Cup this year, and didn't lack offensive potency (outscoring Victoria Highlanders and Spokane from the PDL a combined 21-0 over two games, along with almost beating Colo Colo's first team, beating the Ottawa Fury 3-0, the baby Impact and, almost, Portsmouth.)

Hell of a coach.

prizby
09-15-2010, 05:27 PM
we don't need a guy with North American experience or knowledge

Hans Backe and the NYRB is enough said

Huyton
09-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Martin O'Neill.

DichioTFC
09-15-2010, 06:41 PM
I hear Mo Johnston is available. I'm sure he's familiar with the players...

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/mo-johnston2-04209-lg-30796119.jpg

:D

nascarguy
09-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Who would want to work for such a shit organization as ML$E???
Rafael Benitez :flare::drinking:

nascarguy
09-15-2010, 07:22 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3089/3100317743_ab4ff76e96_o.jpg

yeah and Rafael Benitez as GM

markus
09-15-2010, 07:47 PM
maybe not in 2011 but down the road....Danny D. or Carl Robinson

Damien
09-15-2010, 08:23 PM
I hope it's someone Canadian.

ag futbol
09-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Before we go crazy on current MLS candidates such as Nicol (who i respect) we should take a step back and look at were this league is going.

Salaries are going up, you can have three dp's, rosters are getting bigger, it's starting to resemble a normal football club. It makes more sense now (than it ever did before) to look internationally and find someone who knows MLS feeders, has experiences working within a smaller budget. You partner him with the Canadians we have on staff and you basically establish two pipelines that complement each other.

As for the current MLS talent pool, Guys who cut it as managers / coaches 5 years ago are going to be dead in the water pretty soon. We'll see who can adapt. Case in point: DC United.

Anyway, above any potential GM / coach this club needs a director of soccer who really just guides the ship. The way Johnston handled player moves, that never would have flew in any organization with checks + balances, so i hope someone new comes in to provide that.

ensco
09-16-2010, 06:51 AM
IMO we probqably have never heard of who should be the GM. Look at the Shite Bulls if people knew their gm is or coach prior to comming to the MLS I commend them, but no one really had a clue.

Just my 2 cents

I understand your point, but do you really think the guys doing the hiring here could ever succesfully execute your hiring strategy?

prizby
09-16-2010, 07:36 AM
mlse should use there recent residential projects to attract the best players in the world

free rent at maple leaf square would be a good start to attracting some of the players

Oldtimer
09-16-2010, 07:39 AM
mlse should use there recent residential projects to attract the best players in the world

free rent at maple leaf square would be a good start to attracting some of the players

Not allowed under MLS rules. It's cap circumvention.

West220Side
09-16-2010, 08:11 AM
I would like to see just one man doing it all, it doesn't seem to work when the GM just pushes players at the coach and goes "Here you go! make a team." but if we have to keep the current format..

GM: A current proven coach in the league, good connections.
Head Coach: Colin Clarke

Oldtimer
09-16-2010, 12:52 PM
MLSE's Peddie talked yesterday about the mayor's race.... however, MLSE should apply the criteria to TFC's new GM:

I strongly believe in author and teacher Noel Tichy’s Four Leadership Pillars.
Ideas.
Ideas that are new and modern and will go a long way to making Toronto a truly world class city.
Strong Personal Values.
Deeply embedded values that he or she lives up to all the time.
Energy.
The winning candidate needs to possess high personal energy — it’s a demanding 24/7 job.
The individual needs to use their energy to create positive emotional energy in others that will help get rid of bureaucracy and stretch people beyond what they think they can accomplish.
And finally, Edge.
An individual that is willing to make tough decisions in a timely fashion.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/861510--text-of-richard-peddie-s-speech

Will they? Probably not.

Keystone FC
09-16-2010, 01:28 PM
MLSE's Peddie talked yesterday about the mayor's race.... however, MLSE should apply the criteria to TFC's new GM:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/861510--text-of-richard-peddie-s-speech

Will they? Probably not.
We'll wait and see what the STH renewel looks like. If it's not what they projected then maybe they will follow their own advice.

jabbronies
09-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Lets get Paul James. He can bore us to death with his post game interviews.

habstfc
09-16-2010, 01:44 PM

I think daso or nicol will be the next coach

prizby
09-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Not allowed under MLS rules. It's cap circumvention.

so then some places are at an advantage due to different tax laws...thats cap circumvention in its own saying

volunteer
09-16-2010, 02:11 PM
plz no more brits, thx

backbeat
09-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Ives was asked today and he said:

Q. Do you have any names that TFC might consider for the coaching gig and the GM job?

Ives: Not sure who they'd consider, but I could see Walter Zenga making a play for the job. he wants to return to MLS and has done a pretty good job in Europe.

cementhead
09-16-2010, 04:04 PM
How bout Stephen Hart?

ag futbol
09-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Ives was asked today and he said:

Q. Do you have any names that TFC might consider for the coaching gig and the GM job?

Ives: Not sure who they'd consider, but I could see Walter Zenga making a play for the job. he wants to return to MLS and has done a pretty good job in Europe.
He was linked to the original coaching posting too.

Does anyone know what he's like tactically?

ensco
09-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Zenga has managed 11 teams in 11 years. That can't be a good thing.

menefreghista
09-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Zenga has managed 11 teams in 11 years. That can't be a good thing.

LOL. He would fit in perfectly with our track record.

I read his wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Zenga

His managerial career is littered with firings and early contract terminations.

His only real good season was with Catania in 08/09. Most of the rest of his career isn't too impressive.

BASE
09-19-2010, 08:54 AM
I would love to see Robin Fraser get an opportunity. Fraser is an assistant at RSL and has been with the league from day 1 (and the APSL before that).

Another name is Tim Hankinson. I think he is coaching some smallish college now, but his teams in Colorado always played entertaining soccer.

A couple of other coaches who are up and comers in the USA are Wilmer Cabrera and Oscar Pareja. They've been around the US system long enough to have a good sense of how it works.

The usual suspects will also be mentioned: Dennis Hamlett, Thomas Rongen, Curt Onalfo, Fernando Clavijo.

Wow. Zenga was known for running quite the loose ship when he was in charge at New England. He has gained experience with some decent teams and of course in seria A but again someone from the outside will find it tough dealing with MLS rules and more importantly restrictions.

The Ocatvio Zambrano mention was interesting. His teams always played good soccer but were known for a lack of discipline see Zenga above.

Steve Nicol will bring with him a great resume, but an underwhelming commitment to entertaining soccer. He would be more of "Preki" type. No names + hard work. Tough soccer. Nicol was fortunate enough to step into a decent team built by Fernando Clavijo back in 2002. Of course he augmented his teams by always drafting well from bad drafting postions. See people always cited MoJo's ability to draft, but its much easier to pick a diamond when your picking early as Mo always had a knack for with his teams poor records.

If Kinnear becomes available TFC have to jump at the chance. Yet I think he probably has one more year in him in Houston with a DP coming.

Yallop too is safe considering how well he has put together his team this year.

BASE
09-19-2010, 09:00 AM
I would love to see Robin Fraser get an opportunity. Fraser is an assistant at RSL and has been with the league from day 1 (and the APSL before that).

Another name is Tim Hankinson. I think he is coaching some smallish college now, but his teams in Colorado always played entertaining soccer.

A couple of other coaches who are up and comers in the USA are Wilmer Cabrera and Oscar Pareja. They've been around the US system long enough to have a good sense of how it works.

The usual suspects will also be mentioned: Dennis Hamlett, Thomas Rongen, Curt Onalfo, Fernando Clavijo.

Wow. Zenga was known for running quite the loose ship when he was in charge at New England. He has gained experience with some decent teams and of course in seria A but again someone from the outside will find it tough dealing with MLS rules and more importantly restrictions.

The Ocatvio Zambrano mention was interesting. His teams always played good soccer but were known for a lack of discipline see Zenga above.

Steve Nicol will bring with him a great resume, but an underwhelming commitment to entertaining soccer. He would be more of "Preki" type. No names + hard work. Tough soccer. Nicol was fortunate enough to step into a decent team built by Fernando Clavijo back in 2002. Of course he augmented his teams by always drafting well from bad drafting postions. See people always cited MoJo's ability to draft, but its much easier to pick a diamond when your picking early as Mo always had a knack for with his teams poor records.

If Kinnear becomes available TFC have to jump at the chance. Yet I think he probably has one more year in him in Houston with a DP coming.

Yallop too is safe considering how well he has put together his team this year.

Section 117
09-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Here is my take on the situation if the squads wins lets say 4 of 6 and squeaks into the playoffs I would bet that Nick and Danny stay on as coach and assistant. It makes the most sense. They know the team better than anyone else. They know what positions that they need to fill in the off season. Plus I bet that they have enough international contacts to sign the right players.

In respect to the GM if what I describe happens I can see Jimmy, Earl as a combo with an advisor that has MLS experience. They would be more responsible for the contracts being signed (after agreement is in place) , managing of the cap, discussing trades with other squads etc...

This would be a very contraversial decision in my opinion with the majority of the fans, but if the squad plays like it did in the second half against Houston and qualifies for the playoffs I can see the potential for MLSE to make this move.

Just my two cents

Oldtimer
09-20-2010, 01:20 PM
FWIW, the CONCACAF expert on the BBC "World Football Phone-In," Sean Wheelock says in the September 18th show that he expects that TFC will look outside of North America for their next manager. He looks to them to bring in a high-profile person, on the same level as the search for a national team coach. He mentions that TFC have significantly more resources than your average MLS club.

Unlike Ives, he doesn't have inside information from MLS HQ, however, Sean is very knowledgeable on MLS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/wf

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-20-2010, 03:01 PM
I find Wheelock more than a little underwhelming in terms of the breadth of his knowledge. He regularly can't answer questions about players from his region, which is excusable, but contrast him with Tim Vickery who almost never gets stumped.

prizby
09-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Tony Parkes anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Parkes

has yet to be a manager, older fellow, well respected

TFC Cityboy
09-23-2010, 11:04 AM

In respect to the GM if what I describe happens I can see Jimmy, Earl as a combo with an advisor that has MLS experience. They would be more responsible for the contracts being signed (after agreement is in place) , managing of the cap, discussing trades with other squads etc...

IMO, that would be a disaster and would lead to long term instability- the last thing we need. The club needs a GM experienced in football affairs with a deep knowledge of how MLS/NCAA/Draft works. Someone with more authority than Jimmy/Earl. No idea who, but let's stay away from First Wave representation shall we...

We need the GM in place before we can consider the new Coach (assuming we don't fill it as a combined role). Get the GM right, and the Coach can come from anywhere and does not need MLS experience.
Cheers

Cas87
09-23-2010, 11:06 AM
John Collins (Coach) - CBC analyst that made De Vos look absolutely stupid some days, and has a coaching predegree
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Collins_(footballer)

And I say give Brennan and the Acadamy guy (name?) a chance at the job (obviously the Acadamy guy would be 1A but when he has to go with the Acadamy for anything Jimmy is 1B)

Section 117
09-23-2010, 11:11 AM
IMO, that would be a disaster and would lead to long term instability- the last thing we need. The club needs a GM experienced in football affairs with a deep knowledge of how MLS/NCAA/Draft works. Someone with more authority than Jimmy/Earl. No idea who, but let's stay away from First Wave representation shall we...

We need the GM in place before we can consider the new Coach (assuming we don't fill it as a combined role). Get the GM right, and the Coach can come from anywhere and does not need MLS experience.
Cheers

IMO the draft is a bonus not the major of source of players. You compliment the squad with the draft not really to build a squad. You need people with European/Latin Amercian contacts. My sources there is a person who has a substainal amount of contacts in Europe and is part of the team as we speak. From what I have heard he would prefer not to be the GM, but would be able to deal with contacting the right agents for the right players over seas.

I could see the Earl being in charge and Jimmy as the assistant. Then you hire someone with deep knowledge of the way MLS works. Hell I can do that job

Alixir
09-23-2010, 11:52 AM
I just hope they don't go and sign some inexperienced GM and coach based soley on the fact that they are Canadian.

Workie
09-23-2010, 11:58 AM
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00782/Sven_Goran_Eriksson_782946a.jpg

Problem solved!

menefreghista
09-23-2010, 12:02 PM
I just hope they don't go and sign some inexperienced GM and coach based soley on the fact that they are Canadian.

And the flip side of that is I don't want some European hired with a big name and no track record of success in North America.

Ultra & Proud
09-23-2010, 12:17 PM
And the flip side of that is I don't want some European hired with a big name and no track record of success in North America.

Hans Backe is doing a pretty good job with what was a total shit team he inherited and he had zero MLS experience.

menefreghista
09-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Hans Backe is doing a pretty good job with what was a total shit team he inherited and he had zero MLS experience.

That's true.

But I'm talking about hiring a guy with a name because people will know who he is.

Anyone you cut it, I have no faith in the idiots at MLSE of getting this right. I hope they prove me wrong.

ag futbol
09-23-2010, 04:49 PM

Agreed. Where going to hire Cochrane based on what? That he produced two academy players for the main roster. Neither have broken through yet, he hasn't proved himself to be any better than the directors running the other teams in this league (although the only mark he gets from me at this point is incomplete).

We need waaayy more experience than anyone we have on staff currently.

H Bomb
10-03-2010, 07:44 PM
I think we need a few people playing a few roles. But I think paul mariner should get a look. Learnt under nicol during new englands success. I like him as coach.

ArmenJBX
10-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Isn't Mariner coaching in England now?

H Bomb
10-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Mariner was manager at plymouth, but is now only a coach. First team coach I think. Seems ripe for the picking in my eyes. Hes not the messiah, but a solid foundation

TFC07
10-03-2010, 08:24 PM
IMO the draft is a bonus not the major of source of players. You compliment the squad with the draft not really to build a squad. You need people with European/Latin Amercian contacts. My sources there is a person who has a substainal amount of contacts in Europe and is part of the team as we speak. From what I have heard he would prefer not to be the GM, but would be able to deal with contacting the right agents for the right players over seas.

I could see the Earl being in charge and Jimmy as the assistant. Then you hire someone with deep knowledge of the way MLS works. Hell I can do that job

I hope he wasn't the same guy who bought in Eastern European players this season. :facepalm:

Detroit_TFC
10-03-2010, 08:41 PM

The current FO leadership appointed by RB are operating with a detailed plan and the resources to realize that plan. That plan is to become the premier division one team in North America. I've seen interviews with Soler and he says it, straight up. Everything flows from that plan, RBA, hiring Backe, the DP recruitment, etc.

We see dribs and drabs of a long term plan (TFC Academy, forthcoming training facilities, etc) but the personnel side just doesn't seem well integrated into the plan.

Chevy
10-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Mariner was manager at plymouth, but is now only a coach. First team coach I think. Seems ripe for the picking in my eyes. Hes not the messiah, but a solid foundation

Bring Nicol in as President/GM and let Mariner coach.

jimiv
10-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Martin O'Neil

+1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_O'Neill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_O%27Neill)

TFCRegina
10-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Based on his resume and his results during their exhibition season I'd (gulp, forgive me, hometowners) try to steal former Eredivisie coach Dwight Lodeweges from FC Edmonton.

Really, you wouldn't believe what he did with a mostly-local team. They easily could've competed in Voyageur's Cup this year, and didn't lack offensive potency (outscoring Victoria Highlanders and Spokane from the PDL a combined 21-0 over two games, along with almost beating Colo Colo's first team, beating the Ottawa Fury 3-0, the baby Impact and, almost, Portsmouth.)

Hell of a coach.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if MLSE looked to Lodeweges for contacts in the Netherlands.

Personally, I'm of the opinion we should go after someone with coaching experience in continental Europe or Mexico.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Paul James in a recent article suggested that Klinsman should approached. I think that would be a big ask for TFC. Similarly, I think Martin O'Neill would be a nice fit, but I think his still very much in line for bigger jobs in the UK.

I'd like to see a Euro. coach, but most of all I'd like to see someone with some history of winning championships.

GuelphStorm2007
10-04-2010, 02:44 AM
Javier Aguirre anyone with Bob Gansler

TFCREDNWHITE
10-04-2010, 07:02 AM
radomir antic. just got let go by Serbia. history with clubs in spain. no idea if he'd want to come over, but he's an available name.

+1 he would be an awesome coach for this club! Guy is a legend at atletico madrid!

Section 117
10-04-2010, 07:36 AM
I hope he wasn't the same guy who bought in Eastern European players this season. :facepalm:

Actually no. He was involved in talks with several big name players to come over, but infortunately, they did not materialze as Mo & Preki did not want the players as they want "their" guys to come in

Oldtimer
10-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Paul James in a recent article suggested that Klinsman should approached. I think that would be a big ask for TFC. Similarly, I think Martin O'Neill would be a nice fit, but I think his still very much in line for bigger jobs in the UK.

I'd like to see a Euro. coach, but most of all I'd like to see someone with some history of winning championships.

As I noted in the news thread, a Bundesliga coach would be an excellent choice, given certain similarities between the Bundesliga and MLS.

Another excellent choice would be Freiburg's current coach, Robin Dutt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Dutt

He won them promotion recently, and knows how to get value on a modest salary budget.

Blowing Bubbles
10-04-2010, 08:33 AM
I want someone in a prime position - coach, assistant GM or GM to have a legit track record in South America ..... that is the region you need to focus if you want to bring cheap talent to this team, and in some cases, players who can be pretty spectacular. Getting guys from the UK is a drain on the salary cap. If we're going Europe then I wouldn't mind someone from one of the 2nd tier leagues or Holland ...... but please no career UK'r.

Blowing Bubbles
10-04-2010, 08:44 AM
And are the Martin O'Neil suggestions serious or a level, cause it's hard to tell sarcasm on the internet sometimes .... but let me say this - if you are suggesting him for real, are you fucked in the head?

I mean the Klinsmann suggestion I can understand if you take the angle that he might do it just to keep his name recognition in the US, to build contacts here and get to know the players, and to hang around like a predator waiting to pounce if Bob Bradley stumbles in the runup to the World Cup. Plus it's not like Klinsmann has many years of coaching so it might fancy him to take this for now.

But Martin O'Neil coming to MLS? The fuck? He still has at least 1 midtable or better gig in the EPL in him at least. And for a guy who likes to burn money in the transfer market like a rapper at a strip club, somehow I don't see him wanting to come to MLS and pinch pennies.

THE GOV.
10-04-2010, 09:30 AM
I vote for Alan Curbeshly, He turned West Ham around, and currently not attached to a team

Wull
10-04-2010, 03:01 PM
what are Matthaus and Koeman up to these days?

s2cazz
10-04-2010, 03:05 PM
GM-Jim Brennan
Head Coach-Nick Dasovic

Now ask who I want (or more specifically who I DON'T WANT)

Same two names.

Agreed 100%

This is what will happen and we will have another year in the toilet.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-04-2010, 11:30 PM
As I noted in the news thread, a Bundesliga coach would be an excellent choice, given certain similarities between the Bundesliga and MLS.

Another excellent choice would be Freiburg's current coach, Robin Dutt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Dutt

He won them promotion recently, and knows how to get value on a modest salary budget.

I think Robin Dutt would be an excellent fit, however I think the chance of that happening is about a slim as no anti MLSE threads being started tomorrow. You don't go from the Bundesliga to the MLS. Also, maybe he knows how to stretch a budget, but the lowest budget in the Bundesliga is still 10 million + Euros (the figure I heard recently is 13). Maybe we could get Walter Kogler, Dutt's non-union Austrian Bundesliga equivalent.

I'd like to see Ronald Koeman as GM / football supermo with Rafael Carjabal as coach (I guessing coming from the CSL, he could stretch an MLS budget).
I guess it's all just spec. at this point.

King Jeff
10-05-2010, 07:03 AM
I vote for Alan Curbeshly, He turned West Ham around, and currently not attached to a team

I would also love this very, very much, although I think he left West Ham in part due to fighting with the owners. Not a good sign, given our teams' rather unusual set up. Too Carver-esque.

Suds
10-05-2010, 11:00 AM
I doubt he will be able to say much at this point, but TFC is having a Q&A with Earl Cochrane on Wednesday @ 2PM.

http://www.torontofc.ca/node/5101

THE GOV.
10-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I would also love this very, very much, although I think he left West Ham in part due to fighting with the owners. Not a good sign, given our teams' rather unusual set up. Too Carver-esque.

Thats exactly what this team needs, someone who won't listen to the windbags at the top. Beacause they obviously don't know what they are doing

Whoop
10-05-2010, 11:10 AM

Koeman has been a disaster of late.

jloome
10-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Koeman has been a disaster of late.

Actually, his rep is deceptive. Look at how many trophies he's won, even at clubs where he was considered to have flamed out. Great at domestic cup competitions, not so hot at the league.

Given how much he'd cost, probably not the best option in that pay grade.

Martin O'Neill resigned from the Prem rather aprubtly at Villa. Maybe he's looking for a new challenge. It would take a mountain of cash, though.

Whoop
10-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Exactly.

After initially winning the Eredivisie with Ajax, he flamed out there. He flamed out at Benfica. Though he won the Eredivisie with PSV, they nearly got pipped in the end. He flamed out at Valencia and then AZ.

I like your suggestion of Dwight Lodeweges to be honest.

TFCRegina
10-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Exactly.

After initially winning the Eredivisie with Ajax, he flamed out there. He flamed out at Benfica. Though he won the Eredivisie with PSV, they nearly got pipped in the end. He flamed out at Valencia and then AZ.

I like your suggestion of Dwight Lodeweges to be honest.

Chances of us stealing him away from Edmonton are slim to none. He moved back to Edmonton because he wanted to coach at home. From my understanding, he's not getting paid as much as he'd get in Europe, and I'm sure he could have found alternative clubs to FCE there...

I wouldn't be surprised though if we ended up with a Dutchman recommended via Dwight.

torontocelt
10-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Martin O'Neill resigned from the Prem rather aprubtly at Villa. Maybe he's looking for a new challenge. It would take a mountain of cash, though.

I think there is no way Martin O'Neill would want to manage TFC, TFC could not afford the sums of money to tempt him here.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-05-2010, 11:22 AM

Koeman yes (he wont come)
Matthaus - oh.god.no. (also i think hes coaching bulgaria but wont last long as he never does)

TFCRegina
10-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I think there is no way Martin O'Neill would want to manage TFC, TFC could not afford the sums of money to tempt him here.

I somehow doubt that. TFC has to be pulling down 6 to 8 million net, if not more.

On top of that, Toronto is so starved for a winning side in a professional league that a strong TFC could "blow up." Especially while the Leafs are down, and especially while the immigrant population of Toronto continues to grow. Yes the football is not great, but it's better than nothing.

A Championship team blows up the profits in terms of merchandising.

TFC and MLSE can afford the investment.

It's just a question as to whether the organization is more concerned with short term profits or potentially much greater long term ones.

torontocelt
10-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I somehow doubt that. TFC has to be pulling down 6 to 8 million net, if not more.

On top of that, Toronto is so starved for a winning side in a professional league that a strong TFC could "blow up." Especially while the Leafs are down, and especially while the immigrant population of Toronto continues to grow. Yes the football is not great, but it's better than nothing.

A Championship team blows up the profits in terms of merchandising.

TFC and MLSE can afford the investment.

It's just a question as to whether the organization is more concerned with short term profits or potentially much greater long term ones.

By that I mean that I dont think the money you are quoting would tempt him to manage this team. MON is a very well off man and he has ambitions which are way greater than managing TFC. I would imagine that he will be looking to manage a top team when he comes back, I would not rule him out of the liverpool job to be honest. I would imagine if he was offered that then he will be on big wages. The only thing that could stop him getting that job would be that he likes to spend a bit of money and the liverpool owners are not too crazy on that at the moment.

TFCRegina
10-05-2010, 11:43 AM
By that I mean that I dont think the money you are quoting would tempt him to manage this team. MON is a very well off man and he has ambitions which are way greater than managing TFC. I would imagine that he will be looking to manage a top team when he comes back, I would not rule him out of the liverpool job to be honest. I would imagine if he was offered that then he will be on big wages. The only thing that could stop him getting that job would be that he likes to spend a bit of money and the liverpool owners are not too crazy on that at the moment.

As of March 2009, here are the top 6 EPL managers in compensation, just for comparison purposes, and yes, things have changed since this has been done.

6. Rafa Benitez - 2.5 Million Pound Sterling
5. Mark Hughes - 3 Million Pound Sterling
4. Harry Redknapp - 3 Million Pound Sterling
3. David Moyes - 3.2 Million Pound Sterling
2. Alex Ferguson - 3.6 Million Pound Sterling
1. Arsene Wenger - 4.5 Million Pound Sterling

http://www.thedailydust.co.uk/2009/03/05/top-six-highest-paid-premier-league-managers/

But, we can afford basically every single manager on there.

The question is not one of compensation but rather of whether they actually want to come over to a league that is considered "Mickey Mouse" and to a club that is a Mickey Mouse outfit within a Mickey Mouse league.

Fort York Redcoat
10-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Actually, his rep is deceptive. Look at how many trophies he's won, even at clubs where he was considered to have flamed out. Great at domestic cup competitions, not so hot at the league.

Ah but could that translate into a great MLS success. Shit all year, sneak into the playoffs but winning our domestic trophy tournament-MLS cup.

torontocelt
10-05-2010, 12:12 PM
As of March 2009, here are the top 6 EPL managers in compensation, just for comparison purposes, and yes, things have changed since this has been done.

6. Rafa Benitez - 2.5 Million Pound Sterling
5. Mark Hughes - 3 Million Pound Sterling
4. Harry Redknapp - 3 Million Pound Sterling
3. David Moyes - 3.2 Million Pound Sterling
2. Alex Ferguson - 3.6 Million Pound Sterling
1. Arsene Wenger - 4.5 Million Pound Sterling

http://www.thedailydust.co.uk/2009/03/05/top-six-highest-paid-premier-league-managers/

But, we can afford basically every single manager on there.

The question is not one of compensation but rather of whether they actually want to come over to a league that is considered "Mickey Mouse" and to a club that is a Mickey Mouse outfit within a Mickey Mouse league.

Agreed, that is pretty much what I was getting at, although I reckon the MLSE could offer O'Neill more than what Fergie is on and he would still turn it down, it is not all about money for some people although I am specualting obviously. Really what is there for a top manager to accomplish in the MLS? Obviously the main prize is winning the league but no one outside of North America would really care if they done that anyway. As for the world club cup, well there is very little chance that any MLS team is going to beat a top European or South American team if they are motivated and I would imagine that they would be motivated as there is a cash sum at stake and the south americans apparently think quite highly of that tournament. I really could not think of any reason why a top manager would want to manage in the MLS?

That is an interesting to see Moyes is ranked third and above Rafa who has delevered way more in his career trophy wise. That is not to say Moyes has not done a good job as he has. Also there is no chelsea manager on that list, surely that cannot be right?

torontocelt
10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Also Wenger above Fergie is a bit crazy also considering Fergie is going to go down as one of the top managers that has ever lived. Wenger is a great manager though...

TFCRegina
10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Agreed, that is pretty much what I was getting at, although I reckon the MLSE could offer O'Neill more than what Fergie is on and he would still turn it down, it is not all about money for some people although I am specualting obviously. Really what is there for a top manager to accomplish in the MLS? Obviously the main prize is winning the league but no one outside of North America would really care if they done that anyway. As for the world club cup, well there is very little chance that any MLS team is going to beat a top European or South American team if they are motivated and I would imagine that they would be motivated as there is a cash sum at stake and the south americans apparently think quite highly of that tournament. I really could not think of any reason why a top manager would want to manage in the MLS?

That is an interesting to see Moyes is ranked third and above Rafa who has delevered way more in his career trophy wise. That is not to say Moyes has not done a good job as he has. Also there is no chelsea manager on that list, surely that cannot be right?

Chelsea might reserve their funding for players or have an alternative payment package which ramps up with trophies, etc...

TFCRegina
10-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Also Wenger above Fergie is a bit crazy also considering Fergie is going to go down as one of the top managers that has ever lived. Wenger is a great manager though...

The difference between Fergie and Wenger is that Fergie has produced the results that his club has needed based on how much he's spent. If you look at Wenger, Arsenal has generally performed above what they're spending at.

Essentially Wenger is better value wise for what you spend on him. Note that now that the money is a bit tighter at Man U, the club doesn't seem to be doing as well.

Suds
10-05-2010, 12:23 PM

Absolutely he would! Not a single top flight manager from Europe would even consider working in the MLS in the height of their career. It would be the death knell of their career. You never take a step down to advance your career. Any one of these guys would need to win the MLS Cup 5 years straight to have any sort or recognition for the job they did here

Could you imagine Martin O'Neill comes here and the team has a losing record? No top flight club would be banging down his door to hire him after that.

MLSE should focus on getting the best man for the league we are in. Taking into account all the things we deal with (single entity, salary caps, small rosters, etc.) You could bring in The Special One and it would be a bad investment.

tovan
10-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Roy Hodgson may soon be available if he doesn't get things turned around at Liverpool

torontocelt
10-05-2010, 12:39 PM
The difference between Fergie and Wenger is that Fergie has produced the results that his club has needed based on how much he's spent. If you look at Wenger, Arsenal has generally performed above what they're spending at.

Essentially Wenger is better value wise for what you spend on him. Note that now that the money is a bit tighter at Man U, the club doesn't seem to be doing as well.

Yep that much is true but as a fan I would rather have a manager who won trophies than one who focuses on bringing through youth, that is not to say that Fergie does not bring through youth because he does. Man U are always there or there abouts even with less spending money. The top two in England are really so close that it is almost impossible to split them. In the past three / four years Man U have still won:

The premiership:

2006–07 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2%80%9307_FA_Premier_League), 2007–08 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007%E2%80%9308_Premier_League), 2008–09 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Premier_League)

The league cup:

2008–09 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Football_League_Cup_Final), 2009–10 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Football_League_Cup_Final)

Champions league:

2007–08 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_UEFA_Champions_League_Final)

Champions league runner up

2008-2009

That tally is really great for any club in the world and more so when you note that Fergie isn't spending as much as some other managers.

Derko
10-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Me!!!

sashavukelich
10-06-2010, 01:04 AM
i'm surpised no one has mentioned Denis Hamlett, who is a free agent now, and did SUPEr well for chicago.

Mattsp71
10-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Caleb Porter of Akron, He had a great record and I think he tied the NCAA record for his team with the most shutouts, he has an eye for talent. I think you will see alot of his players in the draft. He also seems to convince these kids and there parents to come to Akron, and that right there is a very hard sell.
http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=47835&SPID=4334&DB_OEM_ID=10800&ATCLID=324685&Q_SEASON=2010

Akron's streak began with a 2-0 victory at home against South Florida in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Nov. 22, 2009.

• Among UA's 11 shutout victims, eight were ranked in the NSCAA's top 25, including five opponents in the top five. Furthermore, five shutouts (four against ranked foes) have come on the road.
• The last goal UA surrendered came in a 2-1 victory over Hartwick in the 2009 MAC Tournament championship. Since that time, Akron has recorded 1,110:59 scoreless minutes.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm surprised that more names haven't been leaked. This is really all there is now to speculate on.

As for Caleb Porter, has there been much of a history of NCAA coaches making the step up to MLS?

TFCRegina
10-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Yep that much is true but as a fan I would rather have a manager who won trophies than one who focuses on bringing through youth, that is not to say that Fergie does not bring through youth because he does. Man U are always there or there abouts even with less spending money. The top two in England are really so close that it is almost impossible to split them. In the past three / four years Man U have still won:

The premiership:

2006–07 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2%80%9307_FA_Premier_League), 2007–08 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007%E2%80%9308_Premier_League), 2008–09 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Premier_League)

The league cup:

2008–09 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Football_League_Cup_Final), 2009–10 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Football_League_Cup_Final)

Champions league:

2007–08 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_UEFA_Champions_League_Final)

Champions league runner up

2008-2009

That tally is really great for any club in the world and more so when you note that Fergie isn't spending as much as some other managers.

You're talking in terms of transfer money, I'm talking in terms of payroll.

It's almost a perfect correlation between payroll and league position.

There's almost no correlation between transfer money and league position.

Mattsp71
10-06-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm surprised that more names haven't been leaked. This is really all there is now to speculate on.

As for Caleb Porter, has there been much of a history of NCAA coaches making the step up to MLS?

Bruce Arena
Sigi Schmid
Schellas Hyndman
Steve Sampson
Paul Mariner-was an assistant at Harvard

Caleb Porter turned down DC United last year, I just saw that

What about Colin Clarke he is kicking some butt in the CCL

torontocelt
10-06-2010, 05:46 PM
You're talking in terms of transfer money, I'm talking in terms of payroll.

It's almost a perfect correlation between payroll and league position.

There's almost no correlation between transfer money and league position.

I didn't realize you were talking payroll, apologies. I was mainly trying to point out though that your opinion that Man U has not been 'doing as well' as 'money is a bit tighter' isn't actually correct. They are still winning a load of trophies at the top level in football. Almost any club in the world would be over joyed if they had the same success that Man U has had in the past four years.

reggie
10-06-2010, 06:23 PM
how about ZOLA..for gm or coach.
connected to ENG and ITA,speaks good english.
he is my choice...FAT CHANCE..

ExiledRed
10-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Im going to harp on Steve Nicol again.

I dont think there could be a better candidate, he understands youth development, has an eye for talent, has taken the revs to the finals 4 times, won the superliga, and his knowledge of the workings of MLS give him an edge over any imported coach who would doubtless struggle with the silly system.

Furthermore, it would be a much easier sell getting big name players over here with him as coach. He is one of the most highly decorated ex-players in european football and would command the respect of the highest level players. Unlike Mo, Steve has never scandalised himself or made himself unpopular because he's genuinely a really nice guy.

His resources and support at yhe Revs have been minimal, but he's made the absolute best of what hes been given, which is considerably less than Mo got, and theres no doubt in my mind he would have taken us to the playoffs in season one had he been in charge.

BASE
10-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Bruce Arena
Sigi Schmid
Schellas Hyndman
Steve Sampson
Paul Mariner-was an assistant at Harvard

Caleb Porter turned down DC United last year, I just saw that

What about Colin Clarke he is kicking some butt in the CCL

Don't forget Bob Bradley who coached Princeton for many years before jumping to MLS in 1996 with DCU.

Tom Fitzgerald and Greg Andrulis both coached the Columbus Crew.

bee dubya
10-22-2010, 11:53 AM
can we talk about this again now?

reggie
10-22-2010, 11:58 AM
yes please....amen

TOBOR !
10-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Has anyone mentioned Peter Wilt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Wilt) ?

Ageroo
10-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Has anyone mentioned Peter Wilt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Wilt) ?

yes....http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=25048

Whoop
10-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Frank Rijkaard is available.

tfcmanu
10-22-2010, 02:05 PM
My Pick Paul Peschisolido -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Peschisolido

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a6/PaulPeschisolido02.jpg/250px-PaulPeschisolido02.jpg (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/File:PaulPeschisolido02.jpg)

mdc 77
10-22-2010, 02:12 PM
This search should start with one call. Steve Nicol should be the number one candidate. If you can't get him for whatever reason then move on, but he's everything we need.

prizby
10-22-2010, 02:13 PM
My Pick Paul Peschisolido -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Peschisolido

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a6/PaulPeschisolido02.jpg/250px-PaulPeschisolido02.jpg (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/File:PaulPeschisolido02.jpg)

yeah he's under contract though married to a high up exec w/ birmingham...correction use to be birmingham...nevertheless he ain't gonna move to toronto

Yohan
10-22-2010, 02:41 PM
yeah he's under contract though married to a high up exec w/ birmingham...correction use to be birmingham...nevertheless he ain't gonna move to torontoand he's done fuck all as a manager so far

I second call for Steve Nicol. Proven at MLS. Has resume that even primadonnas like DeRo can respect.

TBH, I think he's exhausted at New England, and both Nicol and NE can use a fresh start. He's worked miracle there for so long (under owners shittier than MLSE!) but last two seasons, due to injuries, losing too many key players and bad luck, he's just not been getting the results.
Fresh start would do him good. (we'll take Shalrie Joseph while we're at it) :D

Beach_Red
10-22-2010, 02:45 PM
This search should start with one call. Steve Nicol should be the number one candidate. If you can't get him for whatever reason then move on, but he's everything we need.

If the consultant recommends him.

Otherwise MLSE is going to look at New England's record over the last four years and say, "We did better than that."

bee dubya
10-22-2010, 02:51 PM
I think after all the Town Halls and the recent uproar that MLSE is going to be looking make a splash in the coach/GM department. I think this will mean a name outside of MLS to try and attract some fans who might not have renewed their season tickets back to BMO...

TOBOR !
10-22-2010, 03:11 PM
yes....http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=25048

bah. :|

Oldtimer
10-22-2010, 03:31 PM
I think after all the Town Halls and the recent uproar that MLSE is going to be looking make a splash in the coach/GM department. I think this will mean a name outside of MLS to try and attract some fans who might not have renewed their season tickets back to BMO...

I still suspect an MLS link. Generally foreign managers haven't done well, NYRB aside. That being said, I think they will go as big as they can.

prizby
10-22-2010, 05:03 PM
and he's done fuck all as a manager so far

I second call for Steve Nicol. Proven at MLS. Has resume that even primadonnas like DeRo can respect.

TBH, I think he's exhausted at New England, and both Nicol and NE can use a fresh start. He's worked miracle there for so long (under owners shittier than MLSE!) but last two seasons, due to injuries, losing too many key players and bad luck, he's just not been getting the results.
Fresh start would do him good. (we'll take Shalrie Joseph while we're at it) :D

c'mon...aren't we trying to get younger?

Yohan
10-22-2010, 05:14 PM
c'mon...aren't we trying to get younger?still best DM in MLS atm

jloome
10-22-2010, 07:55 PM
still best DM in MLS atm

Not this year. Alonso and Marquez, by a landslide.

prizby
10-22-2010, 08:19 PM
still best DM in MLS atm

and assuming JDG is on a no trade clause...do you really think having nearly 2.5mil invested in DM's is a good idea?

prizby
10-22-2010, 08:27 PM
back on topic:

Anyone feel that a French coach might be a good option for TFC.

Paul Le Guen anyone?

He would have a good in depth knowledge of the French league; there aren't a lot of French players that come over here after all. He spent time at Rangers, so I assume he knows some English. He also coached Cameroon and developed El Hadji Diouf (Senegal), so it might be conceivable to think he would have good knowledge of at least the Western African market, with some good connections.

Just some food for thought.

jloome
10-22-2010, 09:08 PM
back on topic:

Anyone feel that a French coach might be a good option for TFC.

Paul Le Guen anyone?

He would have a good in depth knowledge of the French league; there aren't a lot of French players that come over here after all. He spent time at Rangers, so I assume he knows some English. He also coached Cameroon and developed El Hadji Diouf (Senegal), so it might be conceivable to think he would have good knowledge of at least the Western African market, with some good connections.

Just some food for thought.

France's answer to Preki.

Not a good idea.

Seriously, he's a disciplinarian and has been on the outs with his players quite quickly on the last three clubs he's coached, including Cameroon.

prizby
10-22-2010, 09:50 PM
France's answer to Preki.

Not a good idea.

Seriously, he's a disciplinarian and has been on the outs with his players quite quickly on the last three clubs he's coached, including Cameroon.

just throwing out ideas

i still look at lyon and go wow (esp now looking at the french league)

Jurgen Klinsmann? (Does the guy even have any ambition to manage/direct)
Glenn Hoddle? (I think he's too involved in his academy in Spain)
Marco van Basten? (guy knows how to score..can he manage a team to score?)
Alan Curbishley? (took Charlton to the premier league from league 1, but hasn't taken a job since West Ham in 08 since being reportedly offered several
Kevin Keegan? (still wants to manage, but seems like only prem league)

DARE I SAY PHIL BROWN :p

jloome
10-23-2010, 01:12 AM
just throwing out ideas

i still look at lyon and go wow (esp now looking at the french league)

Jurgen Klinsmann? (Does the guy even have any ambition to manage/direct)
Glenn Hoddle? (I think he's too involved in his academy in Spain)
Marco van Basten? (guy knows how to score..can he manage a team to score?)
Alan Curbishley? (took Charlton to the premier league from league 1, but hasn't taken a job since West Ham in 08 since being reportedly offered several
Kevin Keegan? (still wants to manage, but seems like only prem league)

DARE I SAY PHIL BROWN :p

Curbishley. The West Ham "outs" were with the crazy Icelandic owner, who has since moved on. Highly talented manager. But he'd be very tough to land, I imagine.

Klinsmann's interesting. Keegan's mental. Hoddle's also mental. Van Basten is a tough guy, again.

Whomever it is, it'll have to be someone who knows how to delegate scouting responsibility instead of working on personal knowledge and connections, due both to MLS' salary cap restricting realistic markets for most personnel and the salary cap.

King Jeff
10-23-2010, 07:58 AM
I think I read recently that Hoddle took a job managing in Spain's lower leagues.

prizby
10-23-2010, 10:20 AM
I think I read recently that Hoddle took a job managing in Spain's lower leagues.

that would, as i said, his academy in Spain ;)

J .
10-23-2010, 10:46 AM
We need a tough manager. I guess its a Canadian thing wanting the oranges at half type manager, but we have that for over three years and its done nothing.

We will get one of Nicol, Kinnear or Yallop. I dont want Yallop.

ArmenJBX
10-23-2010, 10:51 AM
I'll do it.

My record includes winning everything for every single season of my manager mode. Those kind of results are just unimaginable in this industry. :D

Yohan
10-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Not this year. Alonso and Marquez, by a landslide.
alonso i'll give you that. though he had a rough start in the beginning of the season

marquez? i dunno. he's played half a season and injured for couple of games. maybe next year, but i don't think he's quite proved his worth yet

prizby
10-23-2010, 12:38 PM
alonso i'll give you that. though he had a rough start in the beginning of the season

marquez? i dunno. he's played half a season and injured for couple of games. maybe next year, but i don't think he's quite proved his worth yet

remember that goal he scored on tfc with ... i do

nuff said

BASE
10-23-2010, 04:07 PM
remember that goal he scored on tfc with ... i do

nuff said

How does one goal against a dysfunctional team like TFC justify your claim about the quality of a defensive mf. I watch almost every MlS game and would take Alonso over Marquez or De Guzman any day.

I think its natural for some to assume that players with a European profile are better players, but its prudent to judge a player by what they actually do in MLS. Marquez has not done enough in my eyes (yet anyway).

Oldtimer
10-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Molinaro thinks we should stick with Cochrane:

Cochrane deserves a shot
Lucky for Toronto FC, they don't have to look far to fill the vacancy.
Earl Cochrane (http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/MLS_Soccer_on_CBC/CBC_Sports_Soccer_Plus/1476632726/ID=1610723676) has been the club's interim GM since Mo Johnston was fired on Sept. 14. Having admirably served as TFC's youth academy since its launch in 2008, Cochrane has let it be known he wants the job on a full-time basis.
Cochrane isn't a sexy choice. He's inexperienced and it's hard to imagine that he'd be a candidate for a GM job at any other MLS club.
But what the native of Scarborough, Ont., does have is a fertile football mind.
In private conversations with CBCSports.ca, Cochrane has revealed himself to be an intelligent, forward-thinking executive and an astute judge of player talent. What's more, he has a plan for the future with specific ideas on how to turn around the fortunes of a club that has failed to make the playoffs for four consecutive seasons.
Cochrane has done a commendable job in looking over the youth academy, with the program bearing fruit this year with the signing of defender Doneil Henry and forward Nicholas Lindsey. It would be premature to hail them as future super stars, but the teenagers have impressed in their limited appearances for the senior team and look to be genuine prospects.
Critics point out that after three years the academy should have produced more than two players who have graduated to the senior team. But Cochrane's prudent and measured approach is to be applauded and not criticized, as it is a clear indication that he doesn't want to rush these kids into the line-up before they are ready.

Complete opposite of Johnston
That's what Toronto FC needs, someone who thinks long-term and doesn't take the "spaghetti approach" towards management - throwing the noodles at the wall and seeing if they stick in order to determine if the pasta is cooked.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/johnmolinaro/2010/10/new-gm-is-right-under-toronto-fcs-nose.html

micpar
10-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Roberto Bettega - President
Luciano Moggi - GM
Pierluigi Casiraghi or Gianfranco Zola - Coach

Done! MLS CUP for sure!

Oldtimer
10-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Luciano Moggi - GM

Done! MLS CUP for sure!

ha-ha

Moggi is currently being tried in a criminal court for sporting fraud in connection with the 2006 Calciopoli scandal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luciano_Moggi

I'm not sure we want that kind of "help."

wzhxvy
10-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Molinaro thinks we should stick with Cochrane:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/johnmolinaro/2010/10/new-gm-is-right-under-toronto-fcs-nose.html

Oh please...John is so wrong on this one. Yeah keep Daso and Earl...there is a bunch of stars right there. Its not like Earl worked under Mo for 3 years...he was clearly influential in how the club was run...NOT. Earl seems to be a nice intelligent guy but he is not ready for this job nor does he have any track record of success...he's just another guy who wants the job...who cares.

TFC better aim much much much higher and build a quality experienced management team. If these guys (Nick and Earl) want to hang around and learn, great, if not, lets not kid ourselves, no one else in MLS will hire them as coach or GM.

I was expecting more from John.

Wull
10-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Oh please...John is so wrong on this one. Yeah keep Daso and Earl...there is a bunch of stars right there. Its not like Earl worked under Mo for 3 years...he was clearly influential in how the club was run...NOT. Earl seems to be a nice intelligent guy but he is not ready for this job nor does he have any track record of success...he's just another guy who wants the job...who cares.

TFC better aim much much much higher and build a quality experienced management team. If these guys (Nick and Earl) want to hang around and learn, great, if not, lets not kid ourselves, no one else in MLS will hire them as coach or GM.

I had the same argument with devos last night, he thinks dasovic and cochrane should be kept so the new GM doesn't pull a Mo :picard:

Roogsy
10-25-2010, 01:10 PM
I certainly hope Earl is with the team long-term and continues to contribute. But right now, the team needs to earn the confidence of the fans and taking a gamble on an unproven GM is not the way to go about it. If I were TFC, I'd bring in someone who has won something as a GM somewhere and a coach with success somewhere as well. They need to send a message that they're serious about winning or people will mistrust them right from the start.

Sadly for Earl, this might be an issue of bad timing because I think he'd made a good GM.

Darlofletch
10-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah, Earl could maybe make a good gm eventually, Hell, Jimmy might do as well, though I'd have more confidence in earl.

Dasovic could beocme a good head coach as well, entirely possible.

But can TFC not be the place where everyone learns?

inexperienced coaches, inexperienced gm, how many times did tom and paul say some variation of "we're still learning" at the townhalls, right now it's the blind leading the blind.

Let's get someone good, and establish a winning culture, then by all means bring people in here and there to learn from that and eventually move on elsewhere or take over.

who would you have more confidence in, yzerman after learning from the redwings over the last few years, or gretzky who jumped in and learnt on the job as phoenix head coach.

Beach_Red
10-25-2010, 03:43 PM
inexperienced coaches, inexperienced gm, how many times did tom and paul say some variation of "we're still learning" at the townhalls, right now it's the blind leading the blind.

Let's get someone good, and establish a winning culture, then by all means bring people in here and there to learn from that and eventually move on elsewhere or take over.

Yes, this is it exactly. We're paying top dollar for tickets can we please have someone running the team who isn't, "still learning."

It's really a farce that the VP of an organization as big as MLSE can stand up in front of people and say, "We're still learning," and not get fired.

It's as if George Costanza really did work for the Yankees...

ArmenJBX
10-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Anselmi has no business running this team's business.

Leave it to a GM who knows what they're doing. Cochraine, im sure, is a nice guy, but he's not the guy for this job. Same with Dasovic. I'm sorry, but this isn't a joke year anymore, if we do worse next year, this team is basically done.

JonO
10-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Anselmi has no business running this team's business.
huh? you do realize this is molinaro's opinion. As far as most of us know Anselmi hasn't made any decisions yet

ArmenJBX
10-25-2010, 04:04 PM
I know, but in reality, even Anselmi shouldn't be the one picking our GM.

jloome
10-25-2010, 08:31 PM

If he gets it, it's on charm, not experience. I don't care how intelligent someone is. We can't be coming from behind this time.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-25-2010, 08:38 PM
I like the idea that's been talked up of having a larger technical staff (three of four guys). I'd like to see Cochraine in that type of setup, but as a the GM? Not so sure. Is there a huge overlap between being an academy director and a GM? Seeing where TFC has been, it seems strange to talk up the appointment of a GM with no experience.

ag futbol
10-25-2010, 09:20 PM
My problem is that while Ansemli and co. might act like whoever is coming in is going to get a clean slate, clearly there are going to be conditions attached. Conditions on how the existing staff is handled for starters. They are already giving too many indications they favor keeping the existing people. The fact they have a preference of any kind is ridiculous considering they pretty much admit they know next to nothing about the game.

That might be the warm mushy make you feel good alternative, but frankly I think whoever comes in here should have free reign. Especially since we are talking about such a large number of individuals. How much change can one guy bring in if he's already saddled with quite a few existing staff members, few of which have proven their worth.

Anybody who sticks around needs to do so on merit. No room for anything else.

ag futbol
10-25-2010, 09:25 PM
If he gets it, it's on charm, not experience. I don't care how intelligent someone is. We can't be coming from behind this time.
This is what concerns me, we have one guy who was all talk and no performance that hustled them for four years. Now they don't waste any time talking up Earl because he's personable. Nice characteristic, but complete joke that he's even in consideration for the GM role.

Qualifications for the new guy should be pretty clear, and Earl definitely doesn't have them.

prizby
10-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Luciano Moggi - GM

Done! MLS CUP for sure!

Italians don't play attractive football...take a pass

rocker
10-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Earl Cochrane has charm and is personable? I've never met him. But on TV he comes across as cold and boring. Never smiles. Looks serious. No charisma...

I still wouldn't sign him on based on experience alone though.

ag futbol
10-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Well actually Zola played a pretty forward style of football with West Ham. There are offensive minded Italian coaches out there believe it or not.

prizby
10-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Well actually Zola played a pretty forward style of football with West Ham. There are offensive minded Italian coaches out there believe it or not.

remind me what place West Ham finished

Roogsy
10-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Earl Cochrane has charm and is personable? I've never met him. But on TV he comes across as cold and boring. Never smiles. Looks serious. No charisma...

I still wouldn't sign him on based on experience alone though.

Experience aside, Earl is a solid guy and in person is much more affable than on TV. Most importantly, he is direct and no-nonsense.

King Tut
10-26-2010, 01:57 AM
GM - Steve Nichols
Head Coach - Manuel Jose

Keystone FC
10-26-2010, 03:44 AM
I want our new GM and Coach to be the absolute best for TFC to reach the Cup Final and progress through the CCL but I am torn on the idea of get whoever we can get quickly so TFC can immediately rebuild as opposed to we'll wait on a few choices even though they won't be with the club until after the MLS Draft.

As long as the off season is for the MLS it gets very short when you have an expansion draft (with 2 clubs), contracts, a draft, scheduleing, and preseason training while looking for a coach AND a GM.

v00d00daddy
10-26-2010, 06:18 AM

So let me get this straight....in other threads you've supported the play of both Chad Barrett and Jacob Peterson.

...and now you talk about Italians not playing attractive football?

lol...obviously you are an authority on this matter. If only we could have a whole stack of players who are modelled after guys like Barrett and Peterson...then we'd be playing some attractive ball.

Apparently attractive football means running a lot with no purpose, no touch and no vision.

To each their own I guess.

lol

micpar
10-26-2010, 06:29 AM

Since when is MLS soccer attractive?

Yohan
10-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Since when is MLS soccer attractive?
why do you bother watching this league then?

just how many MLS games do you catch per season?

not all teams play preki ball in MLS

rocker
10-26-2010, 08:47 AM

yep... it's funny how some people seem to judge the quality or style of MLS as a whole by how TFC plays... or how opponents play at BMO (road games aren't a good way to judge any team given the travel demands in this league)

The league isn't that bad.. watch other teams regularly and people will see.

Chevy
10-26-2010, 09:15 AM

The four stars in the crest suggest otherwise. :D

micpar
10-26-2010, 10:04 AM

Most!
I said that in response to the other guys comment, if he saying that MLS soccer is more attractive then Italian soccer, then I think isn't watching soccer then! MLS is good, but it's not as good as european soccer yet. Maybe some more international coaches and managers may change the play.

I agree, Preki ball is terrible!

Fort York Redcoat
10-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Most!
I said that in response to the other guys comment, if he saying that MLS soccer is more attractive then Italian soccer, then I think isn't watching soccer then! MLS is good, but it's not as good as european soccer yet. Maybe some more international coaches and managers may change the play.

I agree, Preki ball is terrible!

Europe has many leagues. Some not as good as MLS.

jloome
10-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Experience aside, Earl is a solid guy and in person is much more affable than on TV. Most importantly, he is direct and no-nonsense.

As a long-time reporter, I'd just like to note to all who've come away with this impression that, while it might well be true, the ability to leave people with this view is common to another particular social subset, the first time people meet them in person:

Politicians.

Seriously, he looked like a total geek on television. But talk to Preston Manning for three minutes and he'd have charmed your socks off. Also in a no-nonsense, direct kind of way.

Didn't make his ideas good. Didn't give him the requisite experience to lead.

ag futbol
10-26-2010, 01:53 PM
So you wouldn't take him as our coach? There are lots of teams out there right now waiting for his signature. He's most likely better than anyone we could hope to get.

Anyway, i could have easily used Luciano Spaletti or a number of others as the name to get past your "italians play defensive" matra.

BASE
10-26-2010, 08:07 PM
yep... it's funny how some people seem to judge the quality or style of MLS as a whole by how TFC plays... or how opponents play at BMO (road games aren't a good way to judge any team given the travel demands in this league)

The league isn't that bad.. watch other teams regularly and people will see.

BANG ON! Teams like Seattle, RSL, LA, Colorado and Columbus are highly entertaining and play a good brand of soccer. TFC often find ways to bring the worst out of other teams - and themselves for that matter over the years.

ArmenJBX
10-26-2010, 08:21 PM
BANG ON! Teams like Seattle, RSL, LA, Colorado and Columbus are highly entertaining and play a good brand of soccer. TFC often find ways to bring the worst out of other teams - and themselves for that matter over the years.

Couldn't agree more.

I was in LA last year, watched them play Chivas to a 1-1 draw, but couldn't even believe this was the same league as Toronto FC.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Im starting to warm up the idea of Steve Nichol as GM to be honest. Might be his time.
Other than that, as mentioned really only 3 people can do it and none of em are coming (Arena, Schmid, Klinnsman)

God id love Klinnsman here.

ag futbol
10-27-2010, 04:24 PM
I think Colin Clarke's name deserves to be in the discussion. Not exactly my perfered choice but i'm sure his name will come up. Manages a team with a meager budget and gets good results.

Another name that isn't particularly sexy but might be functional is Steve Morrow. Used to be the head coach of FCD, but now is back at Arsenal doing some scouting. Helped establish relationships between FCD and South American teams that has brought them considerable talent. Basically he's strong where our current team is weak, and knows that market we need to get into. Downside is his results were at best average. Maybe TFC can provide something FCD doesn't but I have my doubts.

ExiledRed
10-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Im starting to warm up the idea of Steve Nichol as GM to be honest. Might be his time.
Other than that, as mentioned really only 3 people can do it and none of em are coming (Arena, Schmid, Klinnsman)

God id love Klinnsman here.

Nicol can speak fluent spanish (would have been very useful with certain plaers in the past) and he can hit the crossbar. (if anybody remembers carver's effort)

Hu6Dm4L3Khw

ExiledRed
10-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Im not sure having a name like Klinsmann's automatically qualifies you to be a good MLS coach.

Any imported coach is going to have to learn the trade all over again here, they wont have the tools, resources or funds that theyre used to and they'll likely struggle to adapt quickly to the single entity, player pawning, mad drafts, allocation money and the rest of the nonsense that sets MLS apart from practically every other football league in the world.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Id agree except for the fact that hes very knowledgeable of the american league/players, their system and style of play and was a hair away from being their national coach. That coupled with what he had done to the german national team (and what he could do here for the academy etc etc), id say he'd be the best (and most unrealistic pick).

ExiledRed
10-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Id agree except for the fact that hes very knowledgeable of the american league/players, their system and style of play and was a hair away from being their national coach. That coupled with what he had done to the german national team (and what he could do here for the academy etc etc), id say he'd be the best (and most unrealistic pick).

national team coaches are given the best players and dont have to worry about transfer fees etc... the only thing that carries forward is tactics and fitness.

I'm not going to take your word for it that Klinsmann understands the MLS enough to coach in it effectively though.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2010, 08:53 PM
I wouldnt have him coach, id have him be GM setting up the system, recruiting players, setting up the academy.
He's obviously got his scope on the whole scene not just the current best american players in the US and elsewhere. He'd be pretty damn shortsighted if thats as far as he went and he didnt go looking else where for players etc. Thats not to mention he would recruit coaches with experience and understanding of transfers etc.
Regardless, hes not coming.

prizby
10-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Im not sure having a name like Klinsmann's automatically qualifies you to be a good MLS coach.

Any imported coach is going to have to learn the trade all over again here, they wont have the tools, resources or funds that theyre used to and they'll likely struggle to adapt quickly to the single entity, player pawning, mad drafts, allocation money and the rest of the nonsense that sets MLS apart from practically every other football league in the world.

1 name

Hans Backe

Section 117
10-28-2010, 07:47 AM
I think before we get a coach we need a technical director in place. He can come in decide the style of play that we want. Build the infostructure with the academy all the way to the first squad.

Look at Barcelona as an example I have been to their training grounds watch the kids play form ages 10 and up and they all play the same style of football. So when they are lucky enough to get into the first squad they know their roles inside out as the system is the same.

Once you get the TD for the squad then you bring in the GM, Coach and the rest of the technical staff. One last thing when they are are hiring the positions I hope that they discuss philosophies on how they want to play this game as we have all seen what happened this year and the disaster that ensued 15 players in and not enough players to dress for the first game.