PDA

View Full Version : Mo Johnston Appreciation Thread

TFCRegina
09-14-2010, 06:37 PM
For appreciating all the things that he'll no longer be doing. :D

TFC07
09-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Good luck Mo whatever you decide to do in the future.

razor787
09-14-2010, 06:51 PM
As much as I hate what he did, I do kinda feel for him. I cant see there being any other club that would hire him. He will likely not find any other clubs to take him on as a manager.

Hopefully he does find a McDonalds or something that will take him on... As long as its not in Ontario :P

MFG1
09-14-2010, 06:52 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7-RIvWKbCKw/SYxor8jEwYI/AAAAAAAAAYc/CL-LOfuSFVM/s400/tumbleweed_small.jpg

TFC07
09-14-2010, 06:52 PM
As much as I hate what he did, I do kinda feel for him. I cant see there being any other club that would hire him. He will likely not find any other clubs to take him on as a manager.

Hopefully he does find a McDonalds or something that will take him on... As long as its not in Ontario :P

I hope Montreal hires him in couple of years. :)

Batman
09-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Hey...he gave it a shot. Hopefully it was his best shot. Time to move on for both parties.

Flipityflu
09-14-2010, 06:54 PM
good luck Mo

Roogsy
09-14-2010, 06:58 PM
No need to feel sorry for the man. He's had a long career in football and it has been extended by management opportunities. He's made enough money in his life to live well. His choices include:

http://thinkcards.com.au/images/on%20the%20beach.JPG

Oldtimer
09-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Hopefully he's earned enough from TFC to afford an armed guard when he goes back home to Scotland.

TFC Via Buffalo
09-14-2010, 07:01 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ucHWzEgtvVU/SfJZ6Ob0V8I/AAAAAAAAAWM/87yxfkijKpA/s400/mcricket1.jpg

Chirp chirp.

ArmenJBX
09-14-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm not going to be a complete dick about it, I give credit where credits due.

Thank you Mo for...

um...

...well, I'll just be on my way then.

canadian_bhoy
09-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Time to look forward.

Cheers to Mo for all his efforts to bring some success to this club. Same to Preki.

Good on TFC to make this tough decision and prove that they truly are committed to bringing a winner to the supporters.

Brooker
09-14-2010, 07:16 PM
thanks for trying your best mojo, preki, carver, cummins, etc etc

todays a new day and i want to thank MLSE for that. is that allowed? :D

Cashcleaner
09-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Mo was our first ever coach and manager and no amount of commentary can change that.

Best of luck in your new endeavours, Mo.

mclaren
09-14-2010, 07:27 PM
I called for his head a long, long time ago and was shouted down then. But I will not gloat now ;)

TFC Cityboy
09-14-2010, 07:28 PM
I was always taught that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.

Dear Mo

Damien
09-14-2010, 07:30 PM
He made a few nice moves, especially bringing in Dichio/DeRo and drafting Frei... so for that i'm thankful.

I'm not thankful for the 4-year player/coach turn-style he implemented.

Still, best of luck.

ensco
09-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Cmon guys. He did his best. The blame really belongs to the people who hired him. No need to get personal.

He had a good start. He drafted Edu and brought in Dichio, Brennan and Robinson. He traded for Wynne. He traded for Cunningham.

Too bad he couldn't build on that.

TFC Cityboy
09-14-2010, 07:31 PM
sorry..I find this thread a tad hypocritical.
Having said that, if King Dave is big enough to say something nice, I will too
:)

Shakes McQueen
09-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Made some good moves, but his ongoing inability to address the club's gaping holes was his undoing. See ya, Mo.

- Scott

wzhxvy
09-14-2010, 07:33 PM
I have nothing to say

Keystone FC
09-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Mo was our first ever coach and manager and no amount of commentary can change that.

Best of luck in your new endeavours, Mo.
That's my feeling as well. I was never really vocal about 'Mo Must Go' or anything thing like that but also knew that a change had to be made and pretty much Mo knew this was coming. So, what more can be said.

Cashcleaner
09-14-2010, 07:38 PM

Please explain.

TFC Cityboy
09-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Cmon guys. He did his best. The blame really belongs to the people who hired him. No need to get personal.

He had a good start. He drafted Edu and brought in Dichio, Brennan and Robinson. He traded for Wynne. He traded for Cunningham.

Too bad he couldn't build on that.
yup.

jloome
09-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the nice words on leaving and good luck to you.

FluSH
09-14-2010, 07:43 PM
I will miss his offseasons in Brazil!

London
09-14-2010, 07:45 PM
I will thank mo for danny dichio, that is all

DichioTFC
09-14-2010, 07:46 PM
For all your failures, thanks Mo for building the teams that won two NCCs.

razor787
09-14-2010, 07:48 PM
One of the 3 blind mice could have built a team to win the NCC. Hell, even this year it should be something we dont have to work too hard for, since Vancouver will still be finding their place. The year after that is when things will require someone compitent though.

ManUtd4ever
09-14-2010, 07:49 PM
I never doubted Mo's passion for his job, the organization, the city, or the supporters during his tenure. I appreciate his role in acquiring DeRo as well as the investment in an Academy and a grass surface at BMO Field. Ultimately, Mo lacked the long term vision and managerial acumen condusive to success. I wish him the best in his future endeavors...

Broadview
09-14-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't doubt that he tried. He did a few good things with the team and it's never going to be so easy to slap a guys name in a chant when it's time for them to go.

Maybe the next guy who sticks can be named Joe just to make it easy on everyone.

Good luck Mo.

tfc007
09-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Glad both MOFOS are gone,Now we need to get rid of the only MOFO left NICK GARCIA .The rest your playing for jobs next year.

FluSH
09-14-2010, 08:00 PM
MO Johnston's Twitter record:

http://twitter.com/MoJohnstonTFC

I love the "Are you happy now Red Patch" LOL how those words carry weight now!

Anyhow...

The twitter does remind me that I do have something to thank him for! The Edu sale and the Edu grass... that's enough.

:D

Pigfynn
09-14-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't doubt that loved working for this club and that he was proud of this club , which I appreciate. Mo will always be part of our history and our first days. Things change and managers go (very often actually) nothing personal at all...but seriously thank fucking god he has moved on.

A new day! Cheers!

TFCRegina
09-14-2010, 08:16 PM

It was more done as a joke than anything else. Typically someone makes an appreciation thread when someone leaves the club. I noticed nobody else did.

ilikemusic
09-14-2010, 08:20 PM
zDKO6XYXioc

*single tear*

Heart of Stone
09-14-2010, 08:23 PM

By rights he should be put on the Wall of Honour with Brennan (first captain) and Dicchio (first goal)...

Toronto_Bhoy
09-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Mo is nothing more than a patter merchant.

His charm and cheek has fooled many...at MLSE and here on this board. He was a great player but perhaps a greater con man. His shell game of coaches and players has finally caught up with him.

The best I can say is what I said when Mo was hired. Mo...get to fuck!

Cashcleaner
09-14-2010, 08:37 PM
By rights he should be put on the Wall of Honour with Brennan (first captain) and Dicchio (first goal)...

Wow! That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

Oh wait...sarcasm, right?

Ummmm, yeah. I don't see how people wishing him good luck and don't feel like shitting on a guy who just lost his job somehow translates to opposition to his departure.

I mean, only an idiot would assume otherwise. Right? I mean, moderately intelligent and reasonable people certainly wouldn't do such a thing. Agreed?

backbeat
09-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Thank you Mo - very much.

I believe he tried his best and i really wanted him to succeed, obviously cause we would have all succeeded...but it was not too be.

you broke the cherry - - you were the first coach and GM - you will be remembered.

Danny is a legend because Mo brought him here - thank you...

Edu for grass - ah what the hell - the grass will be here long after the memory, as it should be

Mo also helped to install a structure around the organization

he was also a proponent of Canadian football and i really think he meant it - so thank you for that - Canadian football has and will be stronger for TFC

this should be a time for gratitude in our young history

i hope you are warmly received in the future - you tried your best, it wasn't enough, but that's ok....

TFCRegina
09-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Thank you Mo - very much.

I believe he tried his best and i really wanted him to succeed, obviously cause we would have all succeeded...but it was not too be.

you broke the cherry - - you were the first coach and GM - you will be remembered.

Danny is a legend because Mo brought him here - thank you...

Edu for grass - ah what the hell - the grass will be here long after the memory, as it should be

Mo also helped to install a structure around the organization

he was also a proponent of Canadian football and i really think he meant it - so thank you for that - Canadian football has and will be stronger for TFC

this should be a time for gratitude in our young history

i hope you are warmly received in the future - you tried your best, it wasn't enough, but that's ok....

I'd actually agree with that. He gave a lot of Canadians opportunities, especially when he was GM and coach. He also released a lot of players for Internationals. I always got the feeling Mo cared about Canada and TFC if he was a bumbling Manager.

Heart of Stone
09-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Wow! That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

To be honest it's a bit of a stretch to have Brennan and Dicchio on the Wall of Honour... two average MLS players on TFC teams that never made the playoffs... but if they are up there for being "firsts" than Mo should go up there as well...

Hitcho
09-14-2010, 08:58 PM
The touble with Mo is that all the stuff he gets credit for seems so long ago. I used to be a staunch defender of Mo, but somewhere after season 2 that turned and got lost in the mire. By the end I was so desperate to get rid of him that I had forgotten I used to defend him or why. So, casting my mind back...

Brennan as first player and capt - excellent move
Robbo - also excellent
Dichio - master stroke and surely Mo's finest move the way things turned out
Guevara - a calculated gamble that turned out very well
Ricketts and Robert - nice idea, good ambition, but poorly thought through and executed
The Canadian Rush - good for the identity of the club, like that he did that
The Drafting - Edu and Frei were both great, and Frei may become a long term legend
De Ro - brilliant capture to pull off, may have soured it with lies about wages etc
De Guz - seemed impossible, he got it done, but were we JDG's de facto last option?
Nana - can he claim credit for that?

I think that's about it. Anyway it's sad that all of the above, along with the fact he was our first ever coach, has been buried under a shit storm of shit storms. Hopefully in time memory will be kinder to Mo, but frankly he deserves a lot of the grief he has got from fans.

Don't worry about Mo - he's a survivor and will land on his feet. And lest we forget, he no doubt got a big pay off for having his contract snipped, and probably took another big pay cheque to sign up to a "no bean spilling" agreement. He's probably loaded and laughing right now. I for one don't feel bad for him!

TFC Cityboy
09-14-2010, 09:00 PM
It was more done as a joke than anything else. Typically someone makes an appreciation thread when someone leaves the club. I noticed nobody else did.
I'd assumed it was, then some nice comments were made...

koryo
09-14-2010, 09:02 PM

Dear Maurice - it might serve you well to learn the following phrase: "would you like fries with that?"

TFC Cityboy
09-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Dear Maurice - it might serve you well to learn the following phrase: "would you like fries with that?"
I was waiting for you to pay tribute to ole ginger bollocks

koryo
09-14-2010, 09:06 PM
I was waiting for you to pay tribute to ole ginger bollocks

If it was up to me, not only would I have fired him but I'd have forced him to re-settle in East Anglia.

Stupid bollocks would go mad in no time!

Toronto_Bhoy
09-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Totally agree with Heart of Stone.

A "Wall of Fame" at this stage in TFC's history is ridiculous. More of Mo's shell game.

AL-MO
09-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks for getting fired.

Yours truly,

AL-MO

Toronto_Bhoy
09-14-2010, 09:37 PM
^^Well said AL-MO!^^

Kooper
09-14-2010, 09:53 PM
I hate Mo and all he had/hasn't done the last few years. While in some cases hind sight armchair quarterbacking can be easy to diagnose a team's problems, but TFC's problems are obvious. TFC couldn't score because we had no width, never bought a striker of any real top quality (Sorry Danny D.) and Mo MAY have compromised his and the team's integrity by buying so many First Wave Sports Marketing players.

If Mo can't find a job as a manager I think we will see him as a 'consultant' for Frist Wave.

If anyone is feeling sorry for him don't, he will find a job and if not he will write a book about how hard his life was playing for both sides of Glasgow and how he took a scrappy up start MLS team with no prospects and did...

Kooper
09-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Robbo - also excellent
Ricketts and Robert - nice idea, good ambition, but poorly thought through and executed
The Drafting - Edu and Frei were both great, and Frei may become a long term legend
De Ro - brilliant capture to pull off, may have soured it with lies about wages etc
De Guz - seemed impossible, he got it done, but were we JDG's de facto last option?

I would have been with you until the middle of last season. All the good things except JDG, wich to your point we were his last option, were all done before the start of the 2009 season. Until the middle of last year we were getting better and better but by about July of last year the team started to fade. The off season in 2010 was such a complete failure MLS should have fired him in April except for the fact that who would want the job with most of the salary cap already spent and a roster full of overpaid players with no real value in a trade.

BASE
09-14-2010, 10:11 PM
The touble with Mo is that all the stuff he gets credit for seems so long ago. I used to be a staunch defender of Mo, but somewhere after season 2 that turned and got lost in the mire. By the end I was so desperate to get rid of him that I had forgotten I used to defend him or why. So, casting my mind back...

Robbo - also excellent

I think that's about it. Anyway it's sad that all of the above, along with the fact he was our first ever coach, has been buried under a shit storm of shit storms. Hopefully in time memory will be kinder to Mo, but frankly he deserves a lot of the grief he has got from fans.

Don't worry about Mo - he's a survivor and will land on his feet. And lest we forget, he no doubt got a big pay off for having his contract snipped, and probably took another big pay cheque to sign up to a "no bean spilling" agreement. He's probably loaded and laughing right now. I for one don't feel bad for him!

* Truth be told - Dichio was released by the Chicago Fire in preseason and his agent happened to get a trial at TFC at the last minute. Great stroke of luck for Mo and the fans.

* Robinson and his $315,000 4 year guaranteed contract with MLS could be one of the worst mistakes Mo made as a GM. Robinson's contract put a severe dent in Mo's ability to sign players in later years. Robinson was earning in the upper tier of MLS salaries where MLS legends like Sharlie Joseph, Steve Ralston, and even DeRo were making less. TFC are still paying more than $200,000 of Robinsons contract this season.

At the end of the day his attempt to hide, and shift the public attention to his coaches these past 2 years could not save him. If they do not make the playoffs again this year TFC will augment themselves as the worst onfield franchise in the history of MLS.

jabbronies
09-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks for: Dichio, Frei, Dero, Guevara, Sutton, Nana, Edu, Robbo, Brennan, Barrett

Take credit for: Cann, Labrocca, Maicon

Nice Try with: Connor Casey, Nagamura, Marshall, Ricketts, Mista, Cronin, Serioux,

Um: DeDuzman, Cunningham, Samuel,

WTF: Welsh, Braz, Garcia..50 other guys who played for us.

rocker
09-14-2010, 10:21 PM
* Truth be told - Dichio was released by the Chicago Fire in preseason and his agent happened to get a trial at TFC at the last minute. Great stroke of luck for Mo and the fans.

Really? I thought Dichio never came over to NA in preseason. I thought I read he was contacted by Chicago but never actually kicked a ball around with them. Something to do with his immigration papers. Cuz Dichio was still playing with Preston North End pretty close to the time he transferred to MLS.

BASE
09-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Dichio was at Chicago preseason in 2007. An American city would have been a better fit based on his American wife + immigration hurdles in order to play in Canada. A blessing for Dichio, his family, the fans and youth players in our city Chicago had someone more inept at running a team than Mo in John Guppy.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/soccer_redcard/2007/05/guppy_on_salas.html

TFCRegina
09-15-2010, 01:43 AM
I'm glad Dichio is here in Canada. I think he'll be a great Canadian citizen should he choose that option. And I think he'll be a great coach if he doesn't.

DichioTFC
09-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Thanks Mo for this pic.

http://blogs.thescore.com.s3.amazonaws.com/footyblog/files/2010/09/preki-mo2.jpg

I'm glad you found your soulmate. Make you be happy together in Scotland.

TFCRegina
09-15-2010, 01:49 AM
Thanks Mo for this pic.

http://blogs.thescore.com.s3.amazonaws.com/footyblog/files/2010/09/preki-mo2.jpg

I'm glad you found your soulmate. Make you be happy together in Scotland.

And this is why yer a hell of a bastard.

DichioTFC
09-15-2010, 01:53 AM
And this is why yer a hell of a bastard.

LOL I'm flattered
:drinking:

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-15-2010, 02:57 AM
I liked Mo. I feel that he gave the team personality and keep things interesting, esp. in the early days. I hate his results, but I don't hate him like so many seem to.

I'll miss him more than Preki.

billyfly
09-15-2010, 03:39 AM
I really want my teams to win and unfortunately (for you and me) you weren't successful and bringing me what I wanted.

Section 117
09-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Mo - I wanted to thank you for the one good thing you did for thsi squad your brought Danny Dichio to our squad and for that I thank you.

Besides that don't let door hit your ass on the way out

jaahuuu
09-15-2010, 01:17 PM
I got to speak with him once and he seemed like a nice guy, I wish him luck wherever he goes next...I'm glad its somewhere else.

Now I'm worried about whats next. How many coaches and gm's have the Buffalo Bills been through since the last time they won a playoff game?

Detroit_TFC
09-15-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm not going to pick and choose.

The launch of Toronto FC heralded a new era in MLS and Mo was part of that. I thank him for his efforts (I'm thinking especially about the Mo and Jim dog and pony shows just after the team announcement), but it's time for new leadership.

Blizzard
09-15-2010, 03:16 PM
I liked Mo. I feel that he gave the team personality and keep things interesting, esp. in the early days. I hate his results, but I don't hate him like so many seem to.

I'll miss him more than Preki.

The hate is misplaced. 99% of the people who hate him have never met him. You can be disappointed in him, you can hate his results, you can hate his teams but I don't know how you can hate a person to the level that is often seen here if you don't know the person.

That's borderline irrational as far as I'm concerned.

twistedchinaman
09-15-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm surprised that this thread has lasted 3 pages...

I can thank him for starting the team, other than that...yeah.

J .
09-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Disappointed in results, was always nice to me as a person.

Really couldnt find us a winger in four years?

Davenport
09-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks for nothing Johnston, you did a terrible job.

Pachuco
09-15-2010, 06:29 PM
The hate is misplaced. 99% of the people who hate him have never met him. You can be disappointed in him, you can hate his results, you can hate his teams but I don't know how you can hate a person to the level that is often seen here if you don't know the person.

That's borderline irrational as far as I'm concerned.

Well, in my mind he intentionally lied to me about the 15 Brazilian strikers, wingers and cheerleaders that were coming. He lied intentionally to get money out of me every season.

Therefore, I think I can hate him. He's a sleeze bag. It's not just about his products on the field or the job he did, It's about his bullshit lies.

ag futbol
09-15-2010, 08:00 PM
You know what? I thought about saying some nice things but thinking back to how he treated our players and threw various people under the bus to cover his own shortcomings.

I hope nobody else in this league has the misfortune of hiring this clown. Unless it's montreal.

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-15-2010, 08:33 PM
In his defence, he was kind of doing the job of two or three people. It remains unclear to me if TFC even has any scouts.

ag futbol
09-15-2010, 08:44 PM
As of a few years ago, save DC United no team in MLS has any scouts. Everything is done through agents, MLS central scouting, and when the management team gets a minute they identify talent.

TFC has a robust front office compared to most clubs within the league.

Azerban
09-15-2010, 08:51 PM
In his defence, he was kind of doing the job of two or three people. It remains unclear to me if TFC even has any scouts.

did he manage to do any of them well